Niels Kaastrup-Larsson is a trend follower with more than 20 years experience in the hedge fund industry, working for some of the largest CTAs or Commodity Trading Advisors in the world, including Chesapeake Capital. Niels co-founded, built and managed three businesses within the alternative investment space, including Rho Asset Management of which he is chairman and CEO.
Niels trades futures markets in a systematic and highly-automated way. He is the founder and host of the popular podcast 'Top Traders Unplugged', where he uses his experience and contacts in the industry to deliver insightful, engaging and passionate interviews with the most successful hedge fund managers and traders.
Economic and Finance Themes:
In this interview, Niels mentions and discusses: Trend following, futures markets, gold, anomalies, confirmation bias, efficient market hypothesis, fixed-income securities, treasuries, bonds, the Great Depression, stock market portfolio, diversification, equities, systematic trading, stop-losses, technical analysis.
- about trend following and how to spot a trend.
- what is a trend following strategy.
- two ways in which we can take on market risk - one good and the other not so good.
- how emotions can lead to losses.
- why trend followers use computers with built-in trend following rules to make trades.
- why we are more likely to buy a bar of soap that is reduced by 50% in a retail store than buy a stock that has fallen 50%.
- how you should diversify a portfolio.
- why Niels believes that global markets will be in turmoil within the next 5 years.
- why Niels believes the economic cycle will turn by October 2015.
- why events will unfold just like 1929.
- if the Swiss and Germans should take back their gold reserves from the United States.
- about whether there are job opportunities in the trading industry today.
You can find all the links and book recommendations by Niels at www.economicrockstar/niels