Cixin Liu's The Three Body Problem and the strengths and weaknesses of literature as a window into other cultures.
We chat about a Chinese novel with an American translation, our love of sci-fi and fantasy, and the ways different cultures tackle the same kinds of underlying problems through fiction. We also talk about the beauty, and the limitations, of thinking about different cultures through their art. (Including what might happen if you tried to understand American culture through its popular art!)
- The Three Body Problem, by Cixin Liu
- Season 4: Globalization
- The 1200-page-long Brandon Sanderson novel mentioned: Oathbringer
- The Incomparable’s discussions of The Three-Body Problem:
- Ender’s Game, Orson Scott Card
- Trappist system
- Ancillary Justice
- Howl’s Moving Castle and Hayao Miyazaki
- “Warm” by Speakman Sound feat. Frankie Forman. Used by permission.
- “Winning Slowly Theme” by Chris Krycho.
Many thanks to the people who help us make this show possible by their financial support! This month’s sponsors:
- Andrew Fallows
- Kurt Klassen
- Jeremy W. Sherman
If you’d like to support the show, you can make a pledge at Patreon or give directly via Square Cash.
We love to hear your thoughts. Hit us up via Twitter, Facebook, or email!