Smart cities, “big data”, and the meaninglessness of mere information.
We attempt to take down the idea that more data is the solution to our problems. Without wisdom, and without an ethical frame, numbers mean nothing.
- The metadata of experience, the experience of metadata – Nick Carr
- China’s New Frontiers in Dystopian Tech – Rene Chun at The Atlantic
- “Smart” refigerators DDOS-ing things
- Massive Dyn DDOS Attack: Experts Blame Smart Fridges, DVRs And Other IoT Devices Why Your Internet Went Down
- KrebsOnSecurity Hit With Record DDoS
- The Democratization of Censorship
- Modern-day redlining: How banks block people of color from homeownership
- See also: Ta-Nehisi Coates’ discussion of redlining in his much-discussed piece in The Atlantic, “The Case For Reparations”
- “Sharalee” by Jamison Isaak, a.k.a. Teen Daze
- “Winning Slowly Theme” by Chris Krycho.
Many thanks to the people who help us make this show possible by their financial support! This month’s sponsors:
- Andrew Fallows
- Kurt Klassen
- Jake Grant
- Jeremy W. Sherman
If you’d like to support the show, you can make a pledge at Patreon or give directly via Square Cash.
We love to hear your thoughts. Hit us up via Twitter, Facebook, or email!