OLD POST ALERT! This is an older post and although you might find some useful tips, any technical or publishing information is likely to be out of date. Please click on Start Here on the menu bar above to find links to my most useful articles, videos and podcast. Thanks and happy writing! – Joanna PennWriting books can be a way of life as well as a full-time living, but it can also be a side-hustle, something you do on the side to make some extra income.
Today's guest, Nick Loper, juggles a number of side hustle jobs stitched together to make a full-time entrepreneurial career, only one of which is writing non-fiction.
In the intro I mention the escalation of the Hachette/Amazon dispute with the launch of ReadersUnited and my own reaction to it, an update on the business book for authors, and if you'd like to support the show by funding my time, you can now do so on Patreon.
This podcast is sponsored by Kobo Writing Life, which helps authors self-publish and reach readers in global markets through the Kobo eco-system. You can also subscribe to the Kobo Writing Life podcast for interviews with successful indie authors. Kobo's financial support pays for the hosting and transcription.
Nick Loper is an entrepreneur, non-fiction author and podcaster at SideHustleNation.com. His non-fiction books include Work Smarter: 350+ online resources today's top entrepreneurs use to increase productivity and achieve their goals, as well as books on using virtual assistants and working on treadmill desks.
You can watch the interview on YouTube here, listen above or on the podcast feed on iTunes or Stitcher, or read the transcription below. We discuss:
* What a side hustle is and how Nick juggles 8 different ones to make up his full-time income
* The empowerment of earning money outside the day job, spreading the risk and diversification
* The hurdles and learning on the route to full-time entrepreneurship
* How Nick came up with the topics for his non-fiction books
* Process of writing – from idea to using outsourced resources to editing, cover design and publishing
* Nick's brilliant personalized marketing play that led to the success of Work Smarter. Check out his post all about his launch on Steve Scott's site.
* On standing desks and other health things for authors
* Evaluating non-fiction writing as a side hustle
* Various marketing strategies