First, I give you my initial reactions and use cases for my new Sennheiser MKH-416 microphone. *NOTE: This is not an in-depth review or anything like that.
Also, don't miss two revealing samples of audio:
- Audio Technica 8035 vs SennheiserMKH-416
- My processed MKH-416 on my stream called Meditate With Chris
I also discuss the 416's:
- Specifications (at the bottom of this post)
- Quality: Lots of smooth clarity in mid and high end.
Smooth low end.
- My accessories: Shock mount, My laser gun holder
- Testing close miking: Definitely getting plosives even when using the included foam windscreen. Plosives are easy to fix in post, but if you're streaming Live it would be awesome to avoid the plosives going out on the Livestream.
- My streaming use case: Picks up my HVAC unit really well, mostly because there are no walls in between.
- My Portico II processing: 48v Phantom Power, since mic is not close to my mouth I'm adding quite a bit of low end at 220 shelving, rolling off the low end around 80 Hz, using the Blue Silk mode, and my usual amount of to-tape compression (mild).
ANNOUNCEMENT: I started the Daily Goody!
I discuss a use case for Auphonic Multitrack - leveling all voices to the same LUFS level before mixing and editing.
I describe me EQ'ing the last quarter of a guests track because she moved away from the computer and there was suddenly background noise and she also lost some clarity.
NEWS: Podcaster's Lounge is now on hiatus.
NEWS: I just started a twice-daily meditation stream called Meditate With Chris
REVEALED: My 5 days in a cabin in the woods.
The 9 books I mentioned which are going to help me excel in 2019: (in no particular order)
- Rejection Proof by Jia Jiang
- Can't Hurt Me by David Goggins
- Deep Work by Cal Newport
- The War of Art by Steven Pressfield
- Rest by Alex Soojung-Kim Pang
- The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz
- The Laws of Manifestation by David Spangler
- Above Life’s Turmoil by James Allen
- The One Thing by Gary Keller with Jay Papasan
Here's to the best 2019 you could possibly have!!!
Sennheiser MKH-416 Specifications:
- Transducer: Pressure Gradient/Interference Receiver Condenser
- Polar Pattern: Low, Mid: Hypercardioid -- Above 2 kHz: Lobar
- Frequency Response: 40 to 20,000 Hz
- Dynamic Range (Typical): 117 dB
- Signal-to-Noise Ratio: 81 dB
- Maximum Input Sound Level: 130 dB (@ 1 KHz)
- Sensitivity: 25 mV/Pa +/- 1dB
- Power Requirements: Phantom Power 48 V (± 12 v)
- Output Impedance: Nominal Impedance: 25 Ohms, Minimum Terminating Impedance: 800 Ohms
- Output Connectors: XLR-3M Type
- Pad: None
- Low Frequency Roll-Off: None
- Applications: Film, Radio and Television, Especially for Outside Broadcast Applications
- Dimensions (L x Diam): 9.84 x 0.74" / 250 x 19 mm
- Weight: 5.82 oz / 175 g
DID YOU KNOW........We exist for the purpose of helping you, so please comment below with any questions or remarks. We appreciate you listening.
Want to Start a Business or Have a Career as a Podcast Producer/Engineer?
Listen and Subscribe in Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts, iHeartRadio, Stitcher, TuneIn, Android, RSS, Email