Ryan considers me the comedic troll of the TRP trio. It’s all good and fun, but Ryan feels things can get awkward and out of hand at times. Hence, the many times he says “WOW.” In today’s episode, we talk about the impact of freedom of speech and how it elicits issues today. Ryan found an article from Polygon, Steam Game About Raping Women Will Test Valve’s Hand-Off Approach, about the stance PC Game Publisher Platform Stream maintains in regards to freedom of speech. This is the result of a game release called ‘Rape Day’ produced by Desk Lamp, which was being reviewed for distribution. Rape Day is a game where the gamer plays a rapist. Many media outlets and netizens have strong opinions on this game.
Does Society Today Take Freedom of Speech Too Far? Outline
* What is your definition on freedom of speech?
* Here are some modern elements that affect freedom of speech, please share your thoughts on each of them:
* Trolling: Deliberately, cleverly and secretly pissing people off online using dialogue.
* Doxxing: Publicly exposing someone’s real name or address online.
* Swatting: A prank call to emergency services in an attempt to bringing a large police force to a specific address.
* Cyberbullying: Online bullying or harassment.
* Which of the above do you feel is the most impactful? Why?
* Have you or know of someone that has experienced any of these?
* Does having a game like ‘Rape Day’ reinforce a negative (or positive) discussion about freedom of speech?
Rap music is covered under free speech, but is labeled misogynistic.
Is rap music prejudicial towards women?
Or are we able compartmentalize it?
Do you believe freedom of speech affects the relationships we have with each other?
How do you manage your partner that has strong feelings about an issue you don’t necessarily agree with?
* Resource Reads:
* Steam Game About Raping Women Will Test Valve’s Hands-Off Approach
* Save Free Speech From Trolls
* Cyberbullying | The First Amendment Encyclopedia
* On The Spirit Of Free Speech 71 Republic
* It Started As An Online Gaming Prank. Then It Turned Deadly.
* 6 Key Tips For Disagreeing With Someone Respectfully
If you want to be a guest on TheRelationshiPodcast please send us an e-mail.
You should binge on previous episodes of TheRelationshiPodcast. Start from Season 1 (Episode 1).