This week, Hugo speaks with Reshama Shaikh, about women in machine learning and data science, inclusivity and diversity more generally and how being intentional in what you do is essential. Reshama, a freelance data scientist and statistician, is also an organizer of the meetup groups Women in Machine Learning & Data Science (otherwise known as WiMLDS) and PyLadies. She has organized WiMLDS for 4 years and is a Board Member. They’ll discuss her work at WiMLDS and what you can do to support and promote women and gender minorities in data science. They’ll also delve into why women are flourishing in the R community but lagging in Python and discuss more generally how NUMFOCUS thinks about diversity and inclusion, including their code of conduct. All this and more.
LINKS FROM THE SHOWDATAFRAMED GUEST SUGGESTIONS
- DataFramed Guest Suggestions (who do you want to hear on DataFramed?)
FROM THE INTERVIEW
- Reshama’s Blog
- Reshama on Twitter
- List of Relevant Conferences (and Code of Conduct info)
- NYC PyLadies meetup
- Code of Conduct for NeurIPS and Other Stem Organizations
- NumFOCUS Diversity & Inclusion in Scientific Computing (DISC)
- NumFOCUS DISCOVER Cookbook (for inclusive events)
- fastai deep learning notes
WiMLDS (Women in Machine Learning and Data Science)
- NYC WiMLDS meetup
- To start a WiMLDS chapter: email firstname.lastname@example.org and more info at our starter kit.
- WiMLDS Website
- Global List of WiMLDS Meetup Chapters
- WiMLDS Paris: They run their meetups in English, so knowledge of French is not required.
FROM THE SEGMENTSDataCamp User Stories (with David Sudolsky ~17:27 & ~31:50)
Original music and sounds by The Sticks.