Sabrina explains the Bone Wars in incredible depth. The Bone Wars refers to the period between the 1870s and 1890s, where two paleontologists, Othniel Charles Marsh and Edward Drinker Cope, had a rivalry that eventually ruined them but also made dinosaurs mainstream.
Some of the dinosaurs they named were Allosaurus, Apatosaurus, Brontosaurus, Camarasaurus, Camptosaurus, Ceratosaurus, Coelophysis, Diplodocus, Dryosaurus, Stegosaurus, Triceratops, and our dinosaur of the day Hesperornis.
Hesperornis is a penguin-like dinosaur with teeth and strange lobed feet.
Some of the resources we used include:
- The Bonehunter’s Revenge by David Rains Wallace
- The Dinosaur Hunters by Deborah Cadbury
- The Gilded Dinosaur by Mark Jaffe
- The Life of a Fossil Hunter by Charles Sternberg
- The Bone Hunters by Url Lanham
- Bone Sharps, Cowboys & Thunder Lizards by Jim Ottaviani
For links to more resources, all of the details we shared about Hesperornis, and our fun fact check out https://iknowdino.com/Hesperornis-Episode-250/
To get access to lots of patron only content check out https://www.patreon.com/iknowdino