How can unfilmables help you create those cinematic moments of awe?
In this second part of our series on unfilmables, Chas and Stu continue their deep dive into how writing the “unfilmable” can enhance your script. Rather than looking at micro moments, they turn their gaze to ‘moments of awe’ — those often breathtaking cinematic moments that feel beyond writing. But are those scenes actually unscriptable?
In this episode we look at sequences from WISH YOU WERE NEVER HERE, SEARCHING FOR BOBBY FISCHER, THE INVITIATION, and MOONLIGHT. We talk writing cinematically, performance beats, breaking (and maintaining) “the spell”, limited palettes of language, self-contextualising writing, and ‘instructables’.
Thanks to Chris Walker for editing this episode, and Carissa Lee for performing the big print.
As always: SPOILERS ABOUND and all copyright material used under fair use for educational purposes. RUNNING ORDER
- WHEN UNFILMABLES DON’T WORK(@ 12:01)
- YOU WERE NEVER REALLY HERE(@ 26:08) screenplay by Lynne Ramsay, based on the novella by Jonathan Ames
- READ: https://www.scriptslug.com/script/you-were-never-really-here-2017
- SEARCHING FOR BOBBY FISCHER(@ 38:29) screenplay by Steven Zallian, based on the book by Fred Waitzkin
- WATCH (YouTube): Searching For Bobby Fischer - final game
- JustWatch: https://www.justwatch.cohttps://www.justwatch.com/au/movie/searching-for-bobby-fischerm/au/movie/searching-for-bobby-fischer
- THE INVITATION(@ 01:04:14) by Phil Hay & Matt Manfredi
- READ: https://www.reddit.com/r/Screenwriting/comments/4rbc3v/request_the_invitation_pdf/
- JustWatch: https://www.justwatch.com/au/movie/the-invitation
- MOONLIGHT(@ 01:29:29) Written by Barry Jenkins, Based on “In the Moonlight Black Boys Look Blue” by Tarell Alvin McCraney
- WATCH: Moonlight 2016 Ending
- READ: https://www.dailyscript.com/scripts/MOONLIGHT.pdf
- JustWatch: https://www.justwatch.com/au/movie/moonlight
- WRAP UP AND KEY LEARNINGS(@ 01:49:43)
- LISTEN: DZ-16: Masters of Time and Whitespace
- LISTEN: DZ-60: Unfilmables and Unscriptables (Part 1) – Engaging imagination
- READ: DZ-61 Unfilmables Part 2 - Collated Scripts
Please considering rating or subscribing to us on Apple Podcasts! or sharing us on the Social Medias! We like finding new listeners. We are @stuwillis and @chasffisher on twitter. And you can find @draft_zero on Instagram and Twitter.
Many thanks to all our patrons but particularly to Jesse, Daniel, Devin, Jack, Paul, Chris, Khrob, Sandra, Nick, Rob, Matteo, Daniel and Carrie. They’re good humans.
BUY DRAFT ZERO MERCH via TeePublic