Some of the topics we discuss in this fascinating natural wine interview with Joey Fox of Old Westminster Winery.
- What the term “natural wine” really means - and what you can expect from wines that fall into this category.
- How Joey worked his way into the natural wine world by way of tea, then coffee, then restaurants, then organic vegetable farming.
- How native yeast fermentation, lack of chemical additives and preservatives, and lack of fining and filtration can wildly impact the flavor profile of a wine.
- What the terms “skin contact,” “orange wine,” and pet nat” mean, and why you’re going to start hearing these terms a lot more
- How natural winemaking practices can take a grape that’s usually used to make “cougar juice” (AKA Pinot Grigio), and turn it into something extremely refined and food friendly.
- Which sparkling wine pre-dates Champagne by over 200 years.
- And much, much more.