This time around, we catch up with H. Joseph Ehrmann, proprietor of the legendary San Francisco bar, Elixir, and one of the driving forces behind Fresh Victor, an awesome, fresh-juice-based cocktail mixer line that’s been making waves in the beverage community.
Some of the topics we discuss include:
- How he combined his culinary art, general contracting, and business administration, and PR skills to resurrect one of San Francisco’s oldest and most storied bars.
- Some reflections on his career so far, from winning cocktail competitions, to becoming a certified Cognac and rum educator, to being featured on the cover of the New York Times.
- The difference between generalists and specialists in the spirits and cocktail space, and why the best generalists are very often secret specialists and insatiable learners.
- What it’s like to launch a juiced-based mixer company - focusing on his latest project: Fresh Victor.
- Some thoughts on spirits judging: in particular, what we’re excited about at this year’s ADI annual judging of craft spirits.
- The crazy reality of being able to trace a barrel shortage through the years simply by listening to your palate
- And much, much more.