This week Oliver interviews Mina Nada, CEO of Bolt Bikes, about their business leasing ebikes to delivery gig workers like UberEATS/Deliveroo/DoorDash in the UK, US and Australia. Given everything happening right now with COVID19 and the explosion in delivery based meal consumptions, this is a great interview.
Specifically, we dig into:
- Mina’s background at Bain, Deliveroo and Mobike, and how that prepared him for Bolt Bikes.
- The unit economics of their business, including 6 month paybacks, 3 year cycles and 66% residual value for depreciated bikes.
- How most markets are still allowing takeaway and delivery during COVID19 lockdowns.
- How couriers calculate the costs and tradeoffs of leasing vs owning their own vehicles (ie. bikes, ebikes vs mopeds) and why the end-to-end and flexible nature of access positions Bolt well to solve the job to be done.
- Their plans for expansion and vertical integration into their own Bolt hardware
- A discussion about ebikes and the future of the fleet, including e-mopeds and the newly released Arcimoto delivery vehicle.
- Bolt’s ability to raise debt capital to fund expansion
- Why they plan to double down on B2B rentals, and not focus at all on B2C.
It was a great discussion - well worth listening to!