Artificial intelligence is a powerful technology with capabilities that are open to use by state and non-state actors. In this conversation Azeem Azhar, De Kai, and Joanna Bryson discuss how governance should adapt as our institutions are challenged by unintended consequences of the technology and its creators.
Joanna, De Kai, and Azeem also discuss:
- Why rule-based systems fall short of protecting us against the unintended consequences of technology.
- The value of cross-cultural dialogue in establishing common values to guide the governance of AI globally.
- The role of the leading technology companies in regulating the industry.
- “Designing Responsible AI” (The Exponential View podcast, April 10, 2019)
- “Google Needs to be Treated Like A World Power” (Business Insider, June 12, 2019)
- “Translation: Chinese Expert Group Offers ‘Governance Principles’ for ‘Responsible AI’” (New America, June 2019)
- “Governance and Accountability in an AI World” (CognitionX, June 12, 2019)
Joanna Bryson @j2bryson
Azeem Azhar @azeem