If you knew an ingredient in your food could make you sick, would you still eat it? Probably not. Yet from orange juice to peanut butter cups, the synthetic ingredients lurking in everyday pantry staples could be doing you more harm than good. And while industrial food producers would love you to think otherwise, poor nutrition is a leading cause of preventable chronic diseases. As the saying goes, you really are what you eat.
Our guest on this episode, New York Times bestselling author and food activist Vani Hari, explains “health washing” and shares how innocuous terms like “natural flavoring” can mask toxic ingredients in your favorite foods—and what you can do about it.
Vani is no stranger to confronting the food industry, and her investigative work has led to significant changes from major brands like Chick-fil-A, Chipotle, Subway, and many others. Armed with what she’s learned in her own personal journey and thousands of hours of research, Vani explains how to empower yourself and your loved ones to make better food choices.
While this year has been a rollercoaster, taking charge of what you put into your body—especially during a pandemic—is one small act you can do to regain control and fortify your health. If you’re ready to take a critical look at the food in your kitchen, listen and learn!
In this episode you’ll discover:
- What century-old food helps fight viruses and reduces symptoms of asthma and allergies.
- Why Vani and Shawn value their daily workouts—now more than ever.
- Why you need to take agency for your own health instead of depending on others.
- How $4 trillion is spent on healthcare every year, yet we’re sicker than ever.
- Why “health washing” is a problem.
- How food companies use unnatural flavors to create addictive products.
- How to get your kids to love vegetables.
- Why orange juice companies add synthetic vitamins and ingredients.
- What we can do right now to effect change at the community, corporate, and government levels.
- How Vani got her brother to change his lifestyle and turn his health around.
- The three simple questions you should ask yourself before every meal.
- Why it’s important to reach out to family members and neighbors right now.
Items mentioned in this episode include:
- Beekeepersnaturals.com/model Get 15% off raw honey & other natural remedies!
- Organifi.com/model Use the coupon code model for 20% off!
- Food Babe Kitchen by Vani Hari
- Feeding You Lies by Vani Hari
- The Food Babe Website / Instagram
- TruVani Website / Instagram
* Download Transcript
Be sure you are subscribed to this podcast to automatically receive your episodes:
- Apple Podcasts
Join TMHS Facebook community - Model Nation