Sother Teague is the barman behind the hit NYC bar, Amor y Amargo (Trans: "Love and Bitters"). He is also the authors of the books, I'm Just Here for the Drinks and Let's Get Blitzen.
Some of the topics covered in this wide-ranging conversation with Sother Teague include:
- The origin story of Sother Teague. From a biker bar in Panama City Florida, to the New England Culinary Institute, to tending bar in New York City.
- Why Amor Y Amargo is a bumble bee, and how it transformed from a trendy pop-up to an acclaimed East Village destination.
- The bizarre, seductive energy that characterized a pre-pandemic visit to Sother’s Bar, and what can it teach us about the meaning of being together and sharing a drink.
- How Sother has become the reluctant master of the pivot, and what changes are in store for guests at his new concept: Reserve by Amor y Amargo.
- Some thoughts on the daunting task of pairing food with boozy, stirred cocktails
- My first Underberg Bitters drinking contest (you’ll never guess who won)
- Details about what’s on the horizon for Sother (including several trash bags of bottle caps and a new Sunday Dinner ritual)
- And much, much more
This episode is also brought to you by Near Country Provisions. If you live in the Mid-Atlantic and want to enjoy ethically raised (and delicious) meat from local farmers delivered to your door every month, then you need Near Country in your life.
Head over to NearCountry.com and enter the code BARCART when you sign up for your subscription to receive 2 free pounds of bacon or ground beef in your first delivery.