- How Many Countries Are There In The World video
- Support Counting Countries at Patreon
- The new Counting Countries Merch Store
Thank you to my Patrons…Phillip Jones, Simen Flotvik Mathisen, Thor Pedersen, Steph Rowe, Adam Hickman, Bisa Myles & Ted Nims.
Be the first on your block to sport official Counting Countries apparel! You can purchase them today on Amazon.
And now, you can listen to Counting Countries on Spotify! And Alexa!
Subscribe on Apple Podcasts today! And write a review!
Check out our friend: Large Minority. They organize international rallies around the world, including Sri Lanka, Cambodia, the Philippines, and the Amazon. And watch my full-length documentary in Cambodia when I traveled with Large Minority.
Ben made a brief appearance as the guest announcer for the January episode of Gina Morello.
After a bit of research, I pieced together who Ben was, pulling on a long thread and realizing that he was connected to many previous guests on this podcast. Ben has a very, very deep travel resume.
Do not be thrown off by the length of this podcast, it is really a twofer. You will hear from Ben first and you will hear from Dave Seminara during the second half of the podcast. Dave is an avid traveler himself and also the author of Mad Travelers: A Tale Of Wanderlust, Greed, And The Quest To Reach The Ends Of The Earth. You can buy this on Amazon and wherever else you buy books these days. I read the book and do recommend it. The main focal point of this book is William Baekeland, a former guest of the podcast, who is alleged to have conned fellow extreme travelers of nearly a million dollars. If you don’t know the back story listen to William’s podcast as well as the William Baekeland Controversy episode.
My patrons who support the show, will hear more content from Ben, over 33 minutes, which only they will hear. Thanks to Phillip Jones, Simen Flotvik Mathisen, Steph Rowe, Ted Nims, Bisa Myles, and Adam Hickman for supporting Counting Countries. They help pay for the production of this podcast. You can support this podcast by going to Patreon.com/CountingCountries.
Ben is an “old school” traveler. Ben forges his own path, and constantly bears left when all of his friends turn right. This is a very candid conversation sharing the magic of travel and also some of the challenges that those of us who are obsessed with extreme travel confront. I feel like I only scratched the surface of Ben’s 30 year plus travel career as he chased 193 and so much more.
Ben was in Jakarta while I was recording in the home of the New England Patriots. Please listen in and enjoy. More About Ben:
- Where were you born: Born in Newark, UK. Grew up in a small village south of Nottingham
- What passport do you hold: British
- Favorite Travel Book: No idea. Maybe Michael Runkel's "Meine Reisen an der Enden der Welt" as he is mate of mine! I remember enjoying Heinrich Harrer's "Seven Years in Tibet". Bill Bryson can be quite funny. My folks want me to write a book. If I do, I'm sure it will be my favourite.
- Favorite travel app or website: Kayak and NomadMania
- Must carry item when traveling (like flashlight, Kindle, deck of cards etc.): Olight flashlight. Bivvy bag. Hydrapak collapsible water bottle. Used to carry mini ipad, but no need now, as iphone pretty much does everything. Same goes for camera.
- Favorite drink: Ice-cold beer. Pocari Sweat. Red Bull. Fresh mango juice. Banana milk shake. Water. Coffee. Each has its specific time and place.
- Favorite airline: Emirates for comfort, SQ, for style, Turkish or Ethiopian for network
Subscribe on Apple Podcasts today!! About Counting Countries
Counting Countries is the only podcast to bring you the stories from the dedicated few who’ve spent their lives on the singular quest of traveling to every country in the world. Fewer people have traveled to every country in the world than have been to outer space.
Theme music for this podcast is Demeter’s Dance, written, performed, and provided by Mundi. About GlobalGaz