This week Oliver interviews Richard Thorpe, CEO of Gocycle. Gocycle are the world’s premier electric folding bike manufacturer, and Richard has been at the game longer than most, starting to work on the project back in the early 2000’s. In this episode, they dig into the history of the company, why folding matters in a multimodal future, and the importance of vehicle weight.
- Richard’s background at Mclaren and how that informed his view on weight
- The challenge of building an electric bike company in the 2000s
- What matters for consumers, and how that informs how they bring their bikes to market
- The new G4 range, and what that offers over prior models
- What has helped and hindered with marketing
Also, the next Micromobility America conference is now scheduled for the 23rd of September. It’ll be in Pier 70 in San Francisco and have more than 50 top speakers from the industry, more than 1000 global participants and 500ish startups and brands represented. If you love this space and want to find your tribe here, head to micromobility.io to find out more details.