Black Widow killed it at the box office and with streaming revenues last week. Even with hundreds (or more) of illicit copies o uploaded to various torrent servers within hours of the movie’s premiere.
Last week, Macmillan Publishers repurposed their Stories from Among the Stars podcast feed and are now releasing full audiobook versions of some of their most popular titles on that feed. They’re the first (at least the first I can think of immediately) big publisher to officially adopt this model and use it with their expansive catalog.
What these two examples demonstrate is a drum I’ve been beating for years: The container often matters as much as the content.
And as has been proven time and time again, digital containers aren't cannibalistic to other forms of content.
If you’re more than just a podcaster, you should ride this again-trending wave. If you do in-person consultations, consider putting out a few online, self-serve courses. Try your hand at a video series of you walking people through a process you’ve mastered and are well compensated for. Or make an audio-only version that doesn’t require visual elements and release it as a podcast. Record yourself making your podcast and put it live on TikTok or the next new thing.
Do whatever it is you do, customized for as many containers as you can, to give your source content the legs it deserves because you're much more than just a podcaster. Assuming you want to be.
I think we're seeing the reemergence of a trend of using podcasting as a vehicle to spread content, but not the only vehicle to spread that original content.
• Advancing Podcasting - http://advancingpodcasting.xyz
• Black Widow’s box office and streaming success - https://variety.com/2021/film/box-office/marvel-black-widow-box-office-opening-weekend-1235016977/
• MacMillan’s Stories from Among the Stars podcast - https://us.macmillan.com/podcasts/podcast/stories-from-among-the-stars/
• The Three-Body Problem on Amazon - https://amzn.to/3AWqnh5
• Podiobooks.com acquired by Scribl - https://scribl.com/info/podiobooks-now-scribl
• Scott Sigler’s podcast - https://scottsigler.com/
• Cory Doctorow’s podcast - https://craphound.com/podcast/
• Paul E. Cooley’s podcast - https://shadowpublications.com/
• Support Evo on Buy Me A Coffee - https://www.buymeacoffee.com/evoterra
A written-to-be-read article and a full transcript of the audio of this episode can be found at https://podcastpontifications.com/episode/how-to-add-legs-to-your-content-with-podcasting
https://twitter.com/evoterra for more podcasting insights from Evo Terra as they come.
Buy him a virtual coffee to show your support at https://BuyMeACoffee.com/evoterra.
And if you need a professional in your podcasting corner, please visit https://Simpler.Media to see how Simpler Media Productions can help you reach your business objectives with podcasting.
Evo Terra, with the help of Allie Press, produces Podcast Pontifications four times a week to provide ideas and ask questions every working podcaster should be thinking about. Subscribe today at https://PodcastPontifications.com
Photo by Miguel Orós on Unsplash
This podcast uses the following third-party services for analysis:
Podsights - https://podsights.com/privacy