To a certain degree, all new podcasts steal at least some market share from other podcasts. Some 80 million Americans report listening to podcasts on a weekly basis. And it’s really hard to listen to two podcasts at the same time.
But some are true pioneers. Seasoned podcasters scratching a creative itch by presenting something radically different to podcast listeners. During my tenure in podcasting, I’ve been among those people.
If you’re going for an existing marketplace, can you compete against the players who are already there, either in process or budget?
If you’re blazing a new trail, how confident are you that anyone wants to listen to what you’re creating?
Podcasting is anything but uniform. So your approach to audience development for your next podcast needs to be tailored to the audience you’re trying to reach—one that already exists or one that you have to build from scratch, one person at a time.
Both options are valid, and the path you take really is mostly dependent upon you and your capabilities. So as I say often on this show; choose wisely.
• Advancing Podcasting - http://advancingpodcasting.xyz
• 80 Million weekly podcast listeners - https://www.edisonresearch.com/the-infinite-dial-2021-2
• Podcast recommendation requests - https://twitter.com/search?q=podcast%20recommendations&src=typeahead_click&f=live
• Fiction podcast increased by 300% - https://podnews.net/update/fiction-podcasting-growth
• Podcasting For Dummies, 1st Edition (out of print) - https://amzn.to/3kDBy8s
• If You Ask Betty - http://ifyouaskbetty.com
• Support Evo on Buy Me A Coffee - https://www.buymeacoffee.com/evoterra
A written-to-be-read article and a full transcript of the audio of this episode can be found at https://podcastpontifications.com/episode/will-you-create-or-steal-your-next-podcasts-listeners.
Visit https://twitter.com/evoterra for more podcasting insights from Evo Terra as they come.
Buy him a virtual coffee to show your support at https://BuyMeACoffee.com/evoterra.
And if you need a professional in your podcasting corner, please visit https://Simpler.Media to see how Simpler Media Productions can help you reach your business objectives with podcasting.
Allie Press assists with the production and transcription of the show. Learn more about Allie at http://alliepress.net.
Podcast Pontifications four times a week to provide ideas and ask questions every working podcaster should be thinking about. Subscribe today at https://PodcastPontifications.com
This podcast uses the following third-party services for analysis:
Podsights - https://podsights.com/privacy