In this well-shuffled, cleanly dealt interview with Dave Beck of Paverson Games, some of the topics we discuss include:
- How a trip to Scotland sparked the idea for a game that would challenge players to distill, age, and sell their own spirits...all thanks to an inheritance from a long-lost relative.
- Why Distilled is considered a “medium weight, Euro-style game, and what it looks like to make booze using cards, tokens, and distiller avatars.
- How the Kickstarter campaign for this product met its funding goal in less than an hour, on its way to eclipsing that goal by over 15,000%.
- Which technical distilling processes were creatively mixed into the game mechanics of Distilled, and which needed to be saved perhaps for a future edition, including heads and tales cuts, the Angel’s share, and pulling flavor notes from wood.
- How the game educates and introduces players to spirits from different cultures, using avatars based on historical distillers from around the world - all with special recipe and abilities.
- Along the way, we talk about why American games are so confrontational, the simple joy of summoning elevators, how to order a proper brandy old fashioned at a Wisconsin supper club, and much, much more.
- This episode is brought to you by Near Country Provisions. If you live in the Mid-Atlantic and want to enjoy ethically raised (and delicious) meat from local farmers delivered to your door every month, then you need Near Country in your life.
Head over to NearCountry.com and enter the code BARCART when you sign up for your subscription to receive 2 free pounds of bacon or ground beef in your first delivery.