Eric gives a thorough overview of a recent study that has generated a lot of buzz about how age and biological sex relate to metabolic rate and total energy expenditure (20:46). After discussing the new findings, Eric provides several practical strategies for estimating total daily energy expenditure (1:07:50). In addition, Greg presents a research update summarizing some new findings in the area of blood flow restricted training (54:05). Finally, Greg and Eric discuss the research (or lack thereof) assessing the effects of Turkesterone supplementation on exercise performance and resistance training adaptations (1:22:25).
Sign up to get 28 free training programs and research spotlight emails.
To join in on the SBS conversation, check out our new Facebook group and subreddit.
Finally, next time you stock up on supplements from BulkSupplements.com, be sure to use the promo code “SBSPOD” (all caps) to get 5% off your entire order.
Road to the Stage/Road to Enlightenment (4:50)
Feats of Strength (8:28)
- Dave Ricks
- Andrey Sapozhonkov
- Danial Zamani
- Hidilyn Diaz
- This Olympic Weightlifter Was Targeted by Her Government. It Took a Gold Medal for Her to Get an Apology.
- Shi Zhiyong
- Lü Xiaojun
- Lasha Talakhadze
Research Review: Age, sex, and energy expenditure (20:46)
- Daily energy expenditure through the human life course
- Doubly labelled water assessment of energy expenditure: principle, practice, and promise
- Specific metabolic rates of major organs and tissues across adulthood: evaluation by mechanistic model of resting energy expenditure
Research Roundup: Blood flow restricted training (54:05)
- Effect of resistance training with blood flow restriction on muscle damage markers in adults: A systematic review
- Frequent blood flow restricted training not to failure and to failure induces similar gains in myonuclei and muscle mass
- Effects of exercise training with blood flow restriction on vascular function in adults: a systematic review and meta-analysis
Coach’s Corner: Estimating total daily energy expenditure (1:07:50)
- Some helpful equations: Resting Metabolic Rate: Best Ways to Measure It—And Raise It, Too
Q&A: Turkesterone supplementation (1:22:25)
To Play Us Out: Scacce ragusana (1:38:33)