MEP EP#316: Chunk 2 Chunk Current Returns
Circuit grounding - How big is too big?
Coilcraft has “Elevated” inductors
- Stephen has a new design that is trying something very odd
- Planes that connect to the star
- Difference between different grounding techniques
- 8 layer monster board with multiple power supplies - low noise
- Parker likes to think of these problems as the extremes of certain examples as a way to think about what happens
- Take a "star" topography ground for instance
- Make the trace lengths that connect to the "star" really small
- Make the star point really "big"
- This is vias connections direct to a plain
- Parker found this tweet by Lukas Henkel showing coilcraft has inductors that are elevated off the PCB which allows placing parts under the component
- Coilcraft XAR7030 series
- Unique off-the-board design provides 1.5 mm clearance for parts to be mounted underneath
- Magnetically shielded for high density applications
- Torex Semiconductor has combined switch mode controllers and inductors to build micro DC/DC converters
- PCB Assembly problems?
- Should XYRS now have a Z height?
- This is typically on the CMs to "get it right"
- Probably best to let your CM know what your doing in this case to reduce confusion