Visit us at shapedbydog.com
A good dog training plan will set you and your dog up for success and protect your confidence. The planning I do for myself and my students includes 10 key elements. We’re covering what the 10 elements are, along with how to grow the layers to take training from your living room to the bunny farm.
In the episode you'll hear:
• Why the detailed planning I do for myself and my students starts with criteria.
• Tips to prevent cheap or toxic behaviors when you are training.
• That breaking down your ultimate goal into smaller criteria fast tracks dog training.
• Why our aim is always a positive conditioned emotional response first.
• How to set up the environment for dog training success no matter where you are.
• Why to consider the age and stage of your dog or puppy when you are training.
• Why to know the sights, sounds and scents that will be distracting to your dog.
• About knowing what you’ll be using as a reward in your training.
• Why planning props, locations, reinforcements, and equipment ahead of time will help.
• About balance breaks and playing games to maintain your dog’s optimal arousal state.
• How we use stations and plan transitions between stations.
• That Pavlov is always on your shoulder and the need for awareness of what you are conditioning.
1. Podcast Episode 171: Dog Training With Layered Shaping: Why Classical Conditioning Must Come First - https://dogsthat.com/podcast/171/
2. Podcast Episode 131: How Would Susan Garrett Plan Your Dog Training Sessions? - https://dogsthat.com/podcast/131/
3. Podcast Episode 149: Superstitious Behavior In Dog Training: Beware The Killer Bees! - https://dogsthat.com/podcast/149/
4. YouTube Video: Understanding Your Dog's Reinforcement Zone (RZ) with Susan Garrett - https://youtu.be/OaUAScgaFAg
5. YouTube Playlist: Loose Leash Walking with Susan Garret - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLphRRSxcMHy1mGMfdVKXq_hiJ27Ej1shW
6. Recallers - https://recallers.com/
7. Podcast Episode 6: The Art of Manipulation - https://dogsthat.com/podcast/6/
8. Podcast Episode 167: Reduce Your Dog’s Stress And Anxiety In Training - https://dogsthat.com/podcast/167/
9. Podcast Episode 24: Help for the Dog who Chases Chipmunks, Bicycles, and the Neighbor’s Cat - https://dogsthat.com/podcast/24/
10. Crate Games Online - https://crategames.com/
11. Sniff Spot - https://www.sniffspot.com/
12. Podcast Episode 133: Become Your Own Dog Training Coach With This Video Strategy - https://dogsthat.com/podcast/133/
13. Podcast Episode 57: Why Balance Breaks Fast Track Your Dog Training - https://dogsthat.com/podcast/57/
14. Learn to Play ItsYerChoice - https://recallers.com/iycsummit-join/
15.Podcast Episode 157: Dog Body Language: Understanding Canine Communication Signals And Emotions - https://dogsthat.com/podcast/157/
16. Watch this Episode of Shaped by Dog on YouTube - https://youtu.be/rRJM93aC1Ro