Bullard is often described as the first Black American fighter pilot – which is true – but he also had a full and fascinating life beyond that. This episode covers his travels before WWI and his military career.
- "Bullard, Eugene." Encyclopedia of World Biography, edited by Lisa Kumar, 2nd ed., vol. 37, Gale, 2017, pp. 62-64. Gale General OneFile, link.gale.com/apps/doc/CX3656400039/GPS?u=mlin_n_melpub&sid=bookmark-GPS&xid=1958ab1b. Accessed 24 Aug. 2022.
- Redmon, Jeremy. “The Vanishing Stories of the Bullard Brothers.” Bitter Southerner. https://bittersoutherner.com/the-vanishing-stories-of-the-bullard-brothers
- Svoboda, Frederic J. "Who was that black man?: a note on Eugene Bullard and 'The Sun Also Rises.'." The Hemingway Review, vol. 17, no. 2, spring 1998, pp. 105+. Gale General OneFile, link.gale.com/apps/doc/A20653062/GPS?u=mlin_n_melpub&sid=bookmark-GPS&xid=c34545bb. Accessed 24 Aug. 2022.
- Hewitt, Nicholas. "Black Montmartre: American jazz and music hall in Paris in the interwar years." Journal of Romance Studies, vol. 5, no. 3, winter 2005, pp. 25+. Gale Academic OneFile, link.gale.com/apps/doc/A166694624/GPS?u=mlin_n_melpub&sid=bookmark-GPS&xid=3157a090. Accessed 24 Aug. 2022.
- Pisano, Dominick. “Eugene J. Bullard.” National Air and Space Museum. https://airandspace.si.edu/stories/editorial/eugene-j-bullard
- Mandt, Brenda. “Eugene Bullard, the First African American Fighter Pilot and Veteran of Two World Wars.” Museum of Flight. 1/18/2021. https://blog.museumofflight.org/eugene-bullard-the-first-african-american-fighter-pilot-and-veteran-of-two-world-wars
- Brosnahan, Cori. “The Two Lives of Eugene Bullard.” PBS American Experience. 4/3/2017. https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/features/great-war-two-lives-eugene-bullard/
- Lloyd, Craig. "Eugene Bullard." New Georgia Encyclopedia, 19 November 2002, https://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/articles/history-archaeology/eugene-bullard-1895-1961/.
- National WWII Museum. “Eugene Bullard: Hero of Two World Wars.” 2/4/2021. Via YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIKDvou2fq0
- Lloyd, Craig. “Eugene Bullard: Black Expatriate in Jazz-age Paris.” University of Georgia Press. 2006.
- Keith, Phil and Tom Clavin. “All Blood Runs Red: The Legendary Life of Eugene Bullard – Boxer, Pilot, Soldier, Spy.” Hanover Square Press, 2019.
- Asukile, Thabiti. “J.A. Rogers' ‘Jazz at Home’: Afro-American Jazz in Paris During the Jazz Age.” The Black Scholar , FALL 2010, Vol. 40, No. 3. Via JSTOR. https://www.jstor.org/stable/41163931
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.