The last word in podcasting news. Every Friday James Cridland (⚡firstname.lastname@example.org ) and Sam Sethi (⚡email@example.com) review and analyse the week's top podcasting news as covered on Podnews. They also interview some of the biggest names in podcasting making the news ... Support the show at https://weekly.podnews.net, or hit the boost button! ... Sponsored by Buzzsprout: podcast hosting made easy.
- Morten Strunge - Podimo
- John Spurlock - OP3.dev
SHOW NOTES & LINKS:
- Podcast companies are buying short podcast plays within mobile game apps, causing official downloads of shows no one may be playing longer than twenty seconds according to Bloomberg's Ashley Carman. Time has also published the story outside a paywall.
- Players get game tokens if they listen to a podcast for just twenty seconds. (Carman posts a graphic). But, because more than 60 seconds of audio are downloaded by the player, as demonstrated in this article in Sounds Profitable, these plays count as an IAB-certified download from podcast hosts and in prefix services like Podtrac. That allows podcasts promoted in this way to charge for the ads delivered in the show, and for that traffic to be counted in rankers
- How many downloads per episode is “good”? Omny Studio publish their data.
- Podcast episodes are getting shorter, says Rephonic.
- September 15, 2022: Podimo, the European subscription podcast service, has raised €58.6m ($58.5m) in funding. It had previously raised more than $116m.
- The Open Podcast Prefix Project has been quietly launched by John Spurlock. It’s a prefix analytics service committed to open data and listener privacy; and places listener data in the open. It could power trending and popularity data; or give independently-verified stats to advertisers.
- Open podcast analytics prefix service OP3 has added trailing wildcards to its API.
- Some OP3 visualisation tools are being worked on by Dave Jones, James Potter and others. An open user-agent list, including bots, is freely available here; and here are our filtered logfile downloads from Sep 23 for comparison purposes.