Podland supports both transcripts and chapters, if your podcast app doesn’t then grab a new app from podnews.net/newpodcastapps
- Dylan Pugh - The Sports Podcast Awards 2023 are now open for entry. There are 23 categories and close in mid-November.
Show Notes & Links
- Spotify has reported its Q3/22 earnings. It has 456m monthly active users (up 20% y-on-y). Ad revenue, led by podcasting, is up 19% y-on-y and 7% q-on-q, at €385m (12.8% of the company’s total revenue). The company lost €228m in the quarter; they predict a loss of €300m in Q4 (but suggest they may also raise their prices, following Apple’s price hike).
- BBC Sounds, the corporation’s app for radio, music and podcasts, has posted a weekly average of 4.3m users, representing no growth from the previous quarter.
- ABC’s Annual Report was published. The national broadcaster is seeing 33m downloads per month for its podcasts (p64), up 22% year-on-year.
- PodcastOne, which closed an $8.1m funding round in July, has posted a number of increased metrics for podcasts in its slate. (Interview next week)
- Spotify has complained about anti-competitive behaviour from Apple, after Apple “forced” Spotify into what they consider a sub-optimal purchase flow for audiobooks. Apple requires a 30% cut from any in-app purchase.
- Apple has rejected Spotify’s new app three times from its App Store. It is the latest in a series of confrontations between the two companies
- Spotify now indexes 5,523,475 podcasts, according to an app notification.
- Bryan Barletta looks at the transparency issues around podcast downloads
- Acast has launched a first-party data targeting solution
Support the show
Get in touch with our weekly review of all things podcasting!
- Website: www.podland.news
- Twitter: @jamescridland and @samsethi
- Boosts: ?email@example.com and ?firstname.lastname@example.org