We talk about nation-states, war, hopes of permanent peace and how “the end of history” and the notion of fewer major wars is likely a pipe dream. But also, how to think about foreign policy issues as citizens of nations we love, and the value of nation-states even in a “global village.”
- Fall of the Berlin Wall
- Russo-Japanese War
- World War I
- World War II
- Proxy wars
- Cold War
- Arab-Israel conflict
- Kaliningrad Oblast (Russian exclave on Atlantic ocean)
- Gulf Wars
- “War on Terror”
- “Russia’s Invasion of Ukraine” (All of Vox’s coverage)
- “Russian military intervention in Ukraine”
- “Annexation of Crimea by the Russian Federation”
- “The Link Between Putin’s Military Campaigns in Syria and Ukraine” (The Atlantic)
- China’s building islands in the South China Sea
- “What China Has Been Building in the South China Sea”
- “China’s President Pledges No Militarization in Disputed Islands”
- “With China in Mind on a Visit to Manila, Obama Pledges Military Aid to Allies in Southeast Asia”
- “End of history”
- North Korea hack of Sony
- “Timeline: North Korea and the Sony Pictures hack”
- Britain considering exit from EU (“Brexit”)
- “A background guide to “Brexit” from the European Union”
- Putin flexing
- “Warpaint On” by Risley. Used by permission.
- “Winning Slowly Theme” by Chris Krycho. He doesn’t need permission to use his own stuff. But you know what? It’s Creative Commons Attribution licensed… so neither do you.
Many thanks to the people who help us make this show possible by their financial support! This month’s sponsors:
- Andrew Fallows
- Jeremy W. Sherman
- Jeremy Cherfas
If you’d like to support the show, you can make a pledge at Patreon or give directly via Square Cash.
We love to hear your thoughts. Hit us up via Twitter, Facebook, or email!