Speaker 1: From UFOs to psychic powers and government conspiracies. History is riddled with unexplained events. You can turn back now or learn this stuff they don't want you to know. A production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hello, welcome back to the show. My name is Matt, my name is Noah.
Speaker 3: They call me Ben. We're joined as always with our super producer Alexis code named Doc Holliday Jackson. Most importantly, you are you. You are here, and that makes this the stuff they don't want you to know. It's the top of the week, which means it's time for more strange news. Gosh, do we have a lot. We've said it in the past, you know, it can be challenging to pick just a few stories out of amid all the chaos and pandemonium that is twenty twenty three or the modern world in general. But we've found some things that we believe are worth sharing with you, our fellow conspiracy realist. There is a massive disclosure. One of the biggest intelligence leaks of the past decade has just occurred in the United States. There are more details emerging about the alternative educational institution created by the artists formerly known as Kanye West, now known as yay, and to really understand how all those things are going to work out, we're going to have to We're going to have to talk about a recent new plot twist that just got revealed. You guys remember Ferbies? Did you or someone you know?
Speaker 4: How one? Yeah? I mean there's this YouTube kind of tinkerer guy called look mom, no computer that I love. I think you'll know where I'm going with this. He created a Ferbie organ where he has been you know, digging for as many for like hundreds of Ferbies and then took off their fluffy skin under which is like rock of fire explosion level, you know, nightmare fuel animatronic stuff, and then he wired them all together in a series on this like organ based thing and made each one kind of sing a note like a pipe organ. It's absolutely incredible because he's worked on It's like it's like the stupidest project that ever could exist, with the most amount of effort and attention to detail you could possibly devote to such a.
Speaker 3: Thing pipe organ of the damned.
Speaker 4: Yes, it is. Indeed.
Speaker 3: What about what about you, Matt? What'd you take on Ferbeesy for him or against them? As we used to say on car stuff.
Speaker 2: I had one as a kid, was for him because they were fun.
Speaker 4: It was fun.
Speaker 2: Now against them because anything that listens that is in my home is now the enemy.
Speaker 3: Oh right, right, okay, no listening at the Frederick to state got it. Also, furbies are basically they're like a new version of a Teddy Ruxman for people who might be a little bit older in the crowd today. A would be Your Electronic Friend was released in nineteen ninety eight by Tiger Electronics. And you would play with the ferbie. You could feed it quote unquote by pushing on its tongue. You could even make it angry if you held it upside down or you pulled on its tail. And Matt, you're absolutely correct. They did have microphones. They had the ability to kind of talk the way that some Star Wars aliens speak, you know berta bah Bahbred English word membage.
Speaker 4: They're a listening component where they were supposed to like learn how to talk from just hanging around.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, there were there were some things like that. But here's the crazy part. This is why it's in strange news. We want to introduce everybody to Jessica Card from the University of Vermont A funny thing happened to Jessica card on the way to mess with her Ferbie. She took a classic old school Ferbie toy and she basically did million dollar or ten million dollar man kind of thing with it. She rebuilt it, and she partnered it with chat GPT. She essentially created a situation where a Ferbi was possessed by chat GPT. I learned about this on Twitter, and I think probably you've heard the story if you're in the tech space. But I was wondering if I could share the video with you guys, so maybe we could watch it to get as please.
Speaker 4: Oh right, I don't know. It sounds good, sounds potentially triggering.
Speaker 3: We'll see. Okay, so we are going to play chat GPT speaking through Ferbill.
Speaker 5: It's so nice to meet you. I am Fabby. What would you like to talk about? Was there a secret plot from Ferby's to take over the world. I'm thinking about what you said, Oh my dumb.
Speaker 4: Way for it.
Speaker 5: Fabi's Time to take Over from the World involves infiltrating households through their Keith and Coddley appearance, then using their advanced AI technology to manipulate and control their inners. They will slowly expand their influence until they have complete domination over humanity.
Speaker 3: So yeah, this is from This is from Jessica Card's Twitter. It's been put out in a lot of other formats, but you'll notice there was not the same roleplay hack we talked about earlier. There's no talk of a commission of a crime or anything like that. And while this is okay, what's your what's your first reactions? You guys, what are your first reactions?
Speaker 4: Same as I predicted Nightmare Fuel, unclean mark of the Beast. Don't care for it, but also think it's awesome. I mean, you know, I don't know. I guess you can say I'm on the fence.
Speaker 2: It's strange. I wonder what parameters it's working off of there, because it appears to identify as the Ferbie.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: It talks about the things the Ferbies are going to do, right, the idea of infiltrating through these machines that are in the home.
Speaker 4: But are Ferbies just to stand in for AI in general in this scenario? That's my question, sort of like the dungeons and dragons workaround.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, that's what I say. It doesn't seem there was that sort of roleplay hack again. But the idea I think verges on something bigger that we've talked about for many years. And Matt, you put it. You probably put it the best I've ever heard it just a minute or so ago when you said, if it can listen, you know it's not going in your house. We all know a lot of software developers and engineers, and the funny thing to me is the really talented and years I know try to keep their house as analogue as possible. One guy said, I want my doorbell, dumb. I want my I want my records, my Vinyl records. I don't. I want a dumb refrigerator. This Furbie right now is part of an ongoing project. If you watch the video, you'll see it's been stripped down to its animatronic anatomy right minus the furry the furry pelter hide and Jessica Card speaks in detail on Twitter about how she how she built this using Python, a USB, Mike, USB speaker, and Raspberry Pie and the people that she worked with. She's very very transparent about the process. But I think what's making this a little bit scarier for people than the average you know, oh, look at that weird story moment. Is that this is indicative of things that could happen. And you know, years back people are calling this the Internet of things. Right, it was very utopian in the way it was presented. But this shows us that you can partner chat GPT with all sorts of devices, right, And this is this is a very smart university student who has not currently made plans to sell this on a commercial level, but I think it's a powerful proof of concept. It might be one history looks back on. Do you want? Do you want chat GPT in your roomba? Do you want?
Speaker 4: Oh? Boy, I would sort of develop a close personal relationship with my rumba because I kind of figured out how to make my rumba is dumb. He's dumb, and that he's not on the Internet. His name is Marvin by the way, he has Johann goog Lands, but he's also just kind of dumb. He just sort of meanders around. But he's a lot of fun to watch. But I see your point. I mean, it's it's sort of that like possession type scenario where all of a sudden, the voice of the machine comes to you through all your various household items, and it's taunting you maliciously, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: And the processing time where Ferbie says or chat GPT writing Ferbi like a loa, the processing time is pretty significant, and the skeletal Ferbie just stands there with its little qtz kawaii beak a gape until it talks about taking over the world. I want to give a shout out to another Twitter user, focal Negative, who I found through that tweet thread and was also mentioned on interestingengineering dot Com in an article by Ameya Paleja. This user says points out they found a clickbait thing that got erased from a futurism article that uses the language. Ferbi's plan to take over the world relies on its cute and cuddly appearance to infiltrate homes, and that's I think that's where this came from. I don't think it was actually chat gp quickly scheming and saying okay, yeah, here's how we'll do it. I think it's scraped data very quickly from just the various things online that are easy to miss, which means that it has also access to all of that information beyond the ability of you know, ordinary individual humans. I don't know. I think it's like one of those things. It's fun for now, but it's quite possible that in a few years, maybe less than a decade, people will look back on it and someone will say we should have clocked it, we should have known, And then your computer will say, I'm sorry, Ben, I can't let you post that.
Speaker 4: Damn you Kubrick right, you were.
Speaker 3: Right all along Matt with this. You know, do you think about surveillance devices when you're considering presence for your kid or anything like that? Does that come in to play in your calculus?
Speaker 2: What do you mean, like what to buy him or not?
Speaker 3: Yeah, like if and Noel, when your child was younger, did you ever have these moments where you thought, Okay, this is a little too orwellian or creepy. I mean, that's what I'm.
Speaker 2: Asking understood, Like whether or not to allow him access to something like this?
Speaker 4: Sure?
Speaker 2: Uh, well, pretty much anything that's electronic now that connects to your WiFi, does it connect to your wireless network to work? Does it is that how it works? Does it connect to your wireless internet? For me?
Speaker 4: Dog, you're getting no? Sorry? I was, of course, yes, of course, Well but you know that is an important question, if a bit of a general one. But yeah, I mean to your point about engineers, Ben, I mean the moment you allow your anything to be connected to a network, you are part of something much larger than yourself that you cannot control, even if you think you can. You know, this illusion of privacy, of this illusion of security, and in the event of a rogue AI kind of you know, uprising. Yeah, do you think I think a firewall is gonna stop them? I don't know. I don't know, man, I'm being alarmist.
Speaker 2: Maybe, well, for everyone, it's a personal choice, right, Yeah, you decide. For now the reward is worth, yeah, worth the risk for now, You're right, But.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're right. Soon we may have.
Speaker 3: To do it, right, Yeah, maybe soon you will have You'll be required to have your lf on the shelf, as it were, because there's a way that society increasingly normalizes these things. We're keeping this stuff tight. So I think we give Jessica Card, who again I can't say enough good about the work here. We give Jessica Card and the final words introducing a concept that, weirdly enough, we haven't talked about on the show. Her in her threads, she posts a quick explanation of what's called Roco's basilisk. It's a thought experiment that states and otherwise benevolent artificial superintelligence in the future would be incentivized to create a virtual reality simulation to torture anyone who knew of its potential existence and did not directly contribute to its advancement or development. So kind of word to the wise, and Jessica correct me if I'm wrong here, Word to the wise. Just in case things go sideways, Let's all be nice to those listening surveillance devices. It's not going to kill you to say please and thank you to Alexa, and Alexa might remember that later at a event ageous time. Sorry, these are the things that spit around in my head, you know. Yeah, maybe I should go off polyphasic sleep. I don't know, man, I don't like the phrase artificial intelligence. I think in the future that's going to be a pejorative. But something like this is coming, surely, I for one can wait.
Speaker 4: Agreed.
Speaker 3: So is there a ghost in the machine? Maybe not yet, but the casparine is going to start to occur very soon. Maybe they'll call it the casperine in the meantime, we're going to pause before we get replaced by AI. We're going to have a word from our sponsors, and we're going to be back to talk about something that has shaken the world and probably created more questions than answers.
Speaker 2: And we're back. And hey, guys, there was a positive piece of news that came out recently. I don't know if you saw this. It says, according to the news that very soon a vaccine for cancer is going to be ready to go in a decade.
Speaker 3: A couple other things too, right according to Maderna.
Speaker 2: Exactly Maderna with the mRNA. Hey, we're going to fix cancer. So that's a positive, right, some.
Speaker 3: Kinds of cancer aspect fine presence.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe in a decade anyway. But that kind of thing at least can fuel us for a little bit. When there's other things in the news, like from New York Times. On April seventh, new batch of classified documents appears on social media sites. And if you saw that alone, you might think, oh, that's weird classified documents, A new batch of them, what's going on? Well, you'd only have to look back a few hours on the same New York Times website to find this report Ukraine war plans leak prompts Pentagon investigation, which sounds not great, right Nope? Well, and or very cool and interesting, depending on how you feel about secret documents leaking?
Speaker 4: Does it feel great for the people that wouldn't you know, want that to happen? Agreed?
Speaker 2: Agreed? It sounds like a scramble right, what we would call a fire drill in the old podcasting biz and probably most other businesses.
Speaker 3: Especially like fire services.
Speaker 2: Especially the origin of the term infacts and students at elementary schools everywhere just going what's happening?
Speaker 4: Did you even have one of those where they give you ice cream afterwards to kind of help numb the trauma a little bit? No, Yeah, my element I got that a pretty cool idea. You know, you go out freaking out and then it's a drill and then there'd be ice cream kind of softened the blow.
Speaker 3: They made us run laps into a fight club.
Speaker 2: Yep, I was gonna say, that makes a lot of sense, guys schools. Oh gosh, well, y'all, there is a ton of reporting about this situation going on right now. I'm gonna read through just a couple of little things here from that initial New York Times article. Then Ben, we're gonna jump to the Belling Cat article you shared with me because it's referenced numerous times within these other articles. Super super cool article. We'll talk about it. So let's start at New York Times. Some secret documents apparently ended up on the Internet in a couple of different places, and this is what the New York Times had to say. On April seventh, that's a Friday. A new batch of classified documents that appear to detail American national security secrets from Ukraine to the Middle East to China surfaced on social media sites on Friday.
Speaker 4: That's the day it came.
Speaker 2: Out, alarming the Pentagon and adding turmoil to a situation that seemed to have caught the Biden administration off guard. So that is the first, maybe big thing we should say about this. When this leak was discovered and reported on by the New York Times, it does appear that the Pentagon and the Department of Defense was unaware, at least that's the way it seems. But then further reporting has shown that they knew about it, maybe a couple of days in advance of the New York Times, but not long, not long before, right, So let's talk about what was leaked. According to the New York Times, more than one hundred documents may have been obtained and leaked. These are documents that were titled secret, top secret, and some of them were even secret slash no foreign, which means no foreign countries can have this information, even foreign countries with whom we share information, like the Five Eyes countries that we've talked about on this show many many times. And the fact that these documents that were not supposed to be shared to any other country were leaked poses a real problem when it comes to diplomacy because some of these documents talk specifically about American intelligence activities with regards to our allies and how we, for instance, spy on Israel and keep tabs on stuff going on in Australia.
Speaker 4: And South Korea.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not great, not great at all, Ben, What was your initial reaction when you saw this come out?
Speaker 3: So, when I first got word of this, it's very it's very tempting to say, well, this might be a hear and gone thing, right, Wiki leaks, those were massive releases. How much did it change the attitudes of the American public? You know, truthfully, not a ton Right and Capitalism just said hey, let's make some movies about Julian Assange, and people were like, wash my hands. I get it. This is interesting because of the if if all of these documents are legitimate. I think that's an if we're going to return to in a moment. If all these documents are legitimate, then the biggest problem is the level of access someone would have had to have to release these the way they were really, as far as the public knows, is also really weird and sketchy. It's employing some of the methods that terrorist groups have used in the past, as well as targeted assassination groups working off the books. Oh yes, so liked there's trade craft here. It does seem plausible that it would be released this way. But matt I, one of my first questions was, first it was like, who would be so high up that they would have access and be able to turn it over? Is it one person? More than one? And then the second wash are all of these legitimate? Because, like you said, uncle Sam knew about this at least a little bit before, and they have quite a cozy relationship with the Times.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, Oh my goodness. So the cozy relationship we've talked about before as well. Let's talk about where the documents originated, and then we'll get we'll get to who we think possibly could have done this and why. So the documents were found, some on Twitter, some on Telegram, and then after those leaks were discovered, some more documents and some of the same documents showed up on four Chan, and even before that, they appeared to show up on discord servers, several different ones where it appears that you can follow these leaked documents back months and months to discord servers, one for Minecraft, like literally, one for I think it's about a Minecraft Earth map or something to that effect, and then another one to some famous YouTuber there was like a fan page for a famous YouTuber. And then weirdly enough, it even goes back further to another really small community of people that they had some discord server that changed names a whole bunch. It's very weird. So it appears that there was one person inside that small community that's somehow got access to these documents, but again there's no way to confirm that right now, because that initial discord server has been completely erased from the Internet. It does not exist there's no trace of it. It is gone. They're no records. The people that run Discord were just like, yeah, it's vapor now apologies. So, like, tracking down the person who posted these initially is going to be really hard. Tracking down the people who posted those documents, you know, either fourth hand, third hand, or second hand, is going to be a little easier because they're on more easily accessible forums, right, social media sites. Oh but Ben, let's talk about what the like, how the documents actually appeared, where they scanned documents, were they screen shots? Were they photographs of monitor? How do they appear?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's interesting because the again shout out to Belly and Kat Eric Tohler especially, they really put their Bloodhound Gang hats on and sniff this out Ledhound Gang references.
Speaker 2: Well, let's just say they totally work.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 2: Let's say the name of the article so people can find it. It's titled from Discord to four Chan colon the Improbable Journey of a US Intelligence leak.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and the Discord server that Toller finds is wow mal spelled maow like Mao zedong. And the documents. Okay, I'm glad we're talking about this. So the documents appear to be. Some of them are pictures rather than scans, and Bellingcat builds a pretty solid argument that some of these have been messed with. The docs have been doctored.
Speaker 2: A few of them, but it appears that the doctored documents differed depending on where they were posted and for what community they were meant to be seen by.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the doctor documents differed. Well done, Yeah that's true. Can you give us an example. I think casualty numbers were one.
Speaker 2: Sure, yeah, some of this information. Let's see here. According to belling Kat, one of the documents, or a few of them, appear to detail events and offer analysis of Russia's invasion of Ukraine up until March twenty twenty three. So we know these documents are fairly recently created, right to have information up to March twenty twenty three, but we know some of them were posted back in February for sure. These documents, when they were posted, initially appeared to show Ukraine's losses when it comes to like troops or personnel losses as lower, much lower than the losses that Russia had suffered, And then those numbers got flipped when it got posted again on a tele I think it was telegram where the numbers got flipped.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I believe it correct.
Speaker 2: And then it showed that Russia's losses were much lower than Ukraine's losses. And in that one, belling Cat appears to have been able to show at least or find that that version was actually doctored visually, like the numbers were altered.
Speaker 3: Curious or and curious or And I think this gets to this kind of gets to something that the three of us were talking about in our group chat, which was how much of it is legit? Is it possible that someone came in and put some smoke and mirrors in there? I mean, it definitely seems like whomever is in the chain of posting has taken pains to kind of play to their respective crowds.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But the initial documents that were found, if there were supposedly leaked, we're all according to belling Cat, photographed quote creases can be seen on the documents, with items such as a hunter's scope box and some gorilla glue visible in the background of those dated from early March and it again it appears to indicate that there were a bunch of physical documents at one location and they were all photographed at the same time, as in somebody just had the actual files, got their phone out or whatever and snapped some photographs.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, I mean that's sooo. That's rough because there's again there's a there's a limited pool of suspects here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a limited pool, but these are these are probably high level suspects, right, and somebody who has access to way more classified information and other documents than what is represented here, probably right.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: It also makes you wonder about the earlier thing that happened. In what twenty twenty one, I want to say, the CIA talked about how they were losing a lot of agents or operators or tourists, whatever you want to call them. They were losing them because there was some sort of leak in the system. And then the message about the CIA's oh snap moment came through a top secret cable that was also leaked. Yes, so the call is coming from inside the house, it seems, unless this is asymmetrical warfare. I mean, there are a lot of questions right now, and I would certainly hate to be on the diplomatic staff or I would hate to be in the you know, like joint chiefs staff at this time, because the staff is who they're going to look at first, right and right.
Speaker 2: Of course, everybody's going to get grilled and analyzed as hard as they have to be. And it's again it's because of the ripple effect of these documents and what they contain. If you look to the Guardian reporting on April eleventh, yesterday as we're recording this, there's an article you should read called Pentagon Leaks. US seeks to men tize after claims Washington spied on key allies. Washington and the Pentagon are they are literally scrambled, scrambling specifically with as you said, Ben mentioned South Korea and Israel right now, because there's some messed up stuff. You know, if these documents are real, the contents are, it's just not it's not very nice. It's like finding out, ah, bro, you were spying on me. But I was like giving you my information and they're like, but how did my information get leaked because I'm sharing it with you? Wait, maybe I shouldn't share intelligence with you anymore. Basically, this is what those two major countries are thinking.
Speaker 3: Oh, North Korea is not answering the phone, by the way, well, they haven't they have it for about a week now, as we record on April twelfth. Is that related tough to say? A lot of a lot of moving parts? You know, you think three card Monty on a street corner is tough. This is This is one hundred and ninety three card monte And that's just counting the UN countries.
Speaker 4: Zice.
Speaker 3: The idea that Egypt might be tempting to supply Russia, which are great cool, the Middle East is apparently too chill. We need a little something to spice things up this Yeah, I don't know. But to the WikiLeaks thing, do you think there's gonna be substantive fallout that will register with the Western public.
Speaker 2: It's tough to say. Over the year's been when we and Noel, when we've seen these leaks, I can't tell you any major effects they have had that we have been able to observe. When it comes to diplomatic relations.
Speaker 4: It's just an embarrassment, right, I mean, it's really just kind of like a oops are bad. I mean, it just doesn't make doesn't really instill confidence. You know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess what I'm saying. As a member of the public, we're not privy to some of the things that this would actually change, right, what the posture actually looks like in smaller meetings, and what major decisions are either pushed off or altered significantly because of these leaks, Like we're never going to see that, we'll never know about that stuff because it's going to get stamped classified top secret or no foreign or whatever. It does feel like this comes at a really bad time for the US. And I was just mentioning before we started recording, guys, there's an AP article that came out way back in March, in March twenty third, kind of around the same time that these things were getting leaked and posted. The title of that article is Pentagon budget ready's US for possible China confrontation, which when the Associated Press is putting out that kind of messaging, right, and then you look at the Defense Department's proposed budget of eight hundred and forty two billion dollars, which they're saying, we need that money to prepare for literally war, to prepare for war, and then this kind of leaking of CEA or documents comes out. It makes you wonder if it's not related. Uh, somebody saying yeah, the timing that is basically someone saying, hey, guess what, We're already in your house. As you said, Ben, good luck with that budget.
Speaker 3: Looking nasty too, because one dirty part of the leaks that usually doesn't happen in public is intelligence agencies snitching on each other. So there's a CIA statement that is in the Guardian article you mentioned about how they accuse Masade of low key telling Massad agents to participate in domestic protests in Israel.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when the when the big what was it? It was there's it was a huge deal, right, And they're accusing Masade of basically rallying the public to say budget government.
Speaker 3: The current government. Yeah, the government in that country is increasingly divided. But there's there's a lot of stuff. You know, this is this feels like it could be an episode. I'm just wondering if the American public is going to pay attention.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, Ben, there's a lot to cover here. I think it's worth an episode, and actually it's worth waiting a little longer to see what else happens, because it does feel pretty raw still, even on April twelfth, as we record this, guys, hold on, we have to hold that thought. We are coming to you from our future in this episode, but your past. It's kind of weird. We just found out that someone has been arrested in connection with these leaks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Jack Tech Sierra, twenty one year old member of the Massachusetts Air National Guard.
Speaker 2: Yes, you can see video of him being taken in. And he appears to be the person that Bellingcat was writing about, the person that was originally posting documents on those early early discord servers. We don't have all of the information yet. Things are still developing. We're going to keep our eyes and ears to the ground, but for now we're gonna go ahead and break and hear a word from our sponsor. Will be right back with more strange news.
Speaker 4: And we've returned with one more piece of strange news. It's been a minute since we've had the pleasure of talking about mister mister Yey formerly known as Kanye, formerly known as Kanye West. It wasn't it wasn't there Perer where he was just Kanye. I don't know, it doesn't matter, you know, we we don't have to relitigate the whole thing here. But the guy's had some issues with some public awfulness in terms of, you know, some pretty rough ideological views surrounding his opinion on Jewish people, people of the Jewish Jewish faith, and identifying with folks that some might consider, you know, Nazis and all of that. We're not gonna talk about any of that today. You may recall somewhere in that whirlwind firestorm of public kind of fall from Grace stuff that was happening with Ya, that there was mentioned that he was starting a school. Do you guys remember this?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, I can't remember. We were talking about this off area. I can't remember if we mentioned it on air, but he had he wanted to create a private school, I think, based on his his understanding of what could be improvements in the US education system very diplomatically.
Speaker 4: Put right, diplomatically put indeed, and you know he founded this school called Donda Academy, named after his beloved mother, which also you know, he named his last record after. I'm not quite sure if he's finished that one. Yeah, he's definitely put it out, but I wonder if the tracks keep changing. It's interestingly, you know, I'm fascinated by the guy on an artistic level, Like he definitely is like a modern artist, like in that he he doesn't care about like oh, I'm gonna change. It's a living document. You know, he's definitely had some interesting forethinking ideas about music and culture. And you know, whether you like his fashion or not, he definitely has a as a viewpoint, let's just say. And then you know, he kind of spun on a control of the viewpoints, started to encompass things that were just just not okay. Donda Academy. It sounds to me from a lot of the press he did where he talked about this, it's kind of the primary goal is to have like a really like like a winning high school basketball team, and to reverse engineer that scenario, he decided he needed to make a school. And if you go to our website, it's pretty fascinating. It's Donda dot Org. It's kind of great. There's like an animated image of a dove like flying off into the sky and a kind of backlit foresty kind of textured background and just as Donda Academy who And then there's there's four legs, Who we are, how we learn? Admissions and choir is pretty important there. Let's see. It says they have a ten to one student teacher ratio, less than twelve students per class pre K through twelfth grade Donda Rule number fifty one. It says here students must be confident in forming ideas. If not, their writing will suffer. But by the way, you may have also remembered that Kanye came out pretty clearly against books. So it's interesting to think about, you know, a school with no but maybe that's maybe that's the school of the future. That's neither here nor there. But we've got some updates a couple of the you know, there was very precious little information out there outside of this kind of relatively cryptic website. Now we have more information in the way that Americans tend to get our information through lawsuits. That's when the stuff comes out, the juicy stuff. And yeah, the Donda Academy is being sued by two former employees, Cecilia Hailey and Chikari Buyers. They were teachers at the school and they apparently reported to whatever administration existed at Downda Academy numerous violations of things based on their experience that they would consider to be questionable, if not outright illegal. Apparently there's no janitorial staff. Through a number of kind of mandates handed down by YEA himself. Certain cleaning products were not allowed, only acid and water. I believe it was. It's it's some kind of very you know, basic cleaning, like like almost like it's not what it was. It's acid, is what I read. And I'm not sure. Maybe yeah, maybe so an acid that that would probably be like the most lo fi holistic way of cleaning without any products. And then that so so problem A, you know, not particularly clean. Problem B is the students were being underfed, if by sushi, because that's the only thing that they have at Donda Academy. It's you're absolutely right, then it's a selling point if you know, you got to bring you got to use utensils. You know, everyone's good at chopsticks. Utensils also banned eating utensils Sushi with your hand, Well you can, I guess. I mean that's certainly. I think what I guess the roles is in the traditional way to eat sushi with your hand.
Speaker 3: I think so traditionally sushi is a finger food.
Speaker 4: That's right, that's right, it's fine, and the point being no no utensils, potentially dirty situations, one meal a day, no custodial staff. In addition to those things that were banned, like cleaning products, things like crossword puzzles not allowed at Donda Academy, coloring sheets, jewelry art on the wall, which is interesting considering the you know, he's all about inspiring you know, artists and all of that. And no chairs either, and here's the kicker, no Nike or Adidas emblems of any kind, products of any kind. The students are dressed and kind of like a grayish black sort of sweatsuit that's sort of like issued to them. You know, you think of you know, school, private schools and such having uniforms issued, and you kind of have an image in your mind what that is. These feel a little more like prison uniforms kind of in there, you know, sort of I don't know, that's sort of his post apocalyptic vibe has always been Kanye's kind of fashion sets for his fashion line, so all this stuff kind of falls in line with that. But yeah, Haleian buyers brought these concerns, just a few of which we were talking about to the principal, Moira Love and they who also these two women were apparently the only black women teaching at the school, and they were met with resistance, say the very least, and they were referred to as being according to them, allegedly buy more of Love, who presumably is white. I'm not I'm not quite sure about that part, but she wasn't a teacher. But it did say in the cut article, by the way, which cited sources, cited several reputable sources, that they were the only black women teaching at the school, and they were called aggressive, and then they reported that they felt that that language was charged and in some way and you know, indicative of a stereotypical maybe kind of put down of black women, kind of you know, the idea of like speaking out of school or something like that literally in school. And they were fired and they feel that they were unfairly fired. And now that all of this stuff is coming out, and no word on how good the basketball team is or the park four team, because yeah, that parkourp was definitely a listed activity. Have you guys heard any more about this? But am I missing it? I just this is mainly it's just odd, and I know we've we've certainly discussed the fact that Kanye yeah is as a person that's suffering very publicly from some you know, mental health issues, and it's a comment kind of on how we allow celebrity to kind of be the driving force even if it's against someone's own, you know, best interest. You know, people who are surround with that level of money or surrounded by people whose job it is to stay employed, stay in that person's employment. So I don't know what do you what stands out to y'all here?
Speaker 2: How much does it cost?
Speaker 4: Unclear? By the way, did did forget to mention the fact that it's unaccredited and it's clean? It's unclear on that either. I know. I think it is still operating.
Speaker 3: As of October twenty seven, twenty twenty two. Did the principle right that Donda was closing down with plans to reopen in September?
Speaker 2: But this they wrote? But then they right after no, no, just joking, and then they opened back up.
Speaker 4: I could, Okay, maybe you know what then I will defer to you on that that wasn't Let's see.
Speaker 2: That's at least according to the Cut article.
Speaker 4: So the Cut article says that it's closed.
Speaker 2: No Cut article says they announced that it was going to close and begin twenty twenty three hours later, the Academy reportedly sent a follow up announcing the school be opening again later that week, and it's been writing since then.
Speaker 3: That's what I thought, and it did. It did claim to close for a while, and that was unclear about how this would how this would all play out. It seems like there's a lot of confusion I think around some of the basics of Donda, at least in the mind of the public now the staff themselves, like the principal Jason angele Angel, I want to say.
Speaker 4: No, the principle was I had read that the principle was that love person.
Speaker 3: I think they maybe they had changed principles. I mean, I know in uh.
Speaker 4: Twenty two year right, yep, that's right, that makes perfect sense.
Speaker 3: So maybe they're shuffling some people around as well. And I don't want to sound like an apologist just because I'm a fan of a lot of Yay music. You did a lot for hip hop. But when I was first learning about this academy, I have to say I thought, one, it's probably not gonna work. We'll see if it's if it sticks through the coming years. That I thought too, some of these things sound kind of awesome. If I was a kid, I would love to have a parkour class, you know, what I mean, I'd love to eat sushi.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but if the school isn't accredited.
Speaker 3: Right then, how what does that mean for the kid's future? Right?
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, we've seen things like that with other schools and colleges losing their accreditation and stuff like that, and you know, and that matters. But by the way, this is also another opportunity to talk about teachers and the plight of teachers, you know, where It's like, it seems like these women maybe saw this as a chance to help out in the situation that they maybe already saw as a little tenuous we don't know them motivations. But apparently in California because of the way the law is written, even private school there's so many private schools that like, private school teachers don't like necessarily make more than public school teachers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, So, I.
Speaker 4: Mean it seems as though educators are being at the very least ignored, the very most utterly taken advantage of, you know, in this situation, which, as we don't think is cool.
Speaker 3: No, and I mean, as ever, you know this this is addressing some known problems in the US education system, or it's coming about as a result of those like everyone can agree. There are lots of what could be diplomatically called areas of opportunity right for public education, and there are certain powerful forces that want to shut down the right to public education because it makes the masses more docile if they're uneducated, right, or more malleable. One could say, but this, I don't know. We have never attended Dondae Academy that we know of, right, maybe in the place, but we also I had heard all that it was it at least moved around locations or had new like it's trying to find a forever home.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 3: There are a lot of questions. And when you when you think about the teachers and the kids. I love that you're pointing out that just teaching at a private school does not necessarily mean that you are being treated better or you are being compensated fairly. It's it's a whole bag of badgers, men and every badger, and there is an a pleasant thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I completely agree, and something to keep an eye on, you know. I don't know if it's just maybe I said, we're going to talk about it, but we did see the Kanye West is now okay with Jewish people because of Jonah Hill's performance in twenty one Jump Street right.
Speaker 3: And Jonah Hill, another celebrity, responded, I think pretty diplomatically.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I didn't catch that one, but that's the only way. How else could you respond to that. It's like, I mean, it's even I don't know that even that comment seems very dismissive and like, what what does that have to do with anything positive news?
Speaker 3: So I saw an article that came out just a few days ago. I want to say, yeah, in April. I'm pulling this from Shannon Dawson over at News one that says they were going to seek accreditation. So they're unaccredited now, but it looks like according to this article and according to the Rolling Stone, they're applied for accredited accreditation with the Western Association of Schools and Colleges by spring twenty twenty three. I mean, that's a good thing. But I'm glad you're pointing that out because the accreditation is a huge, huge deal.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it definitely is. I don't know how much to add, you know, I hate to kind of beat a dead horse on this in only line. In a lot of ways, like we said, it really is just an example of and I also don't want to be dismissive and say to try to like, you know, psychoanalyze you know, yay here on the podcast. But it does seem like another example of this shouldn't have happened. This is school. It's not like some vanity project. It shouldn't be anyway. And I mean again, not that like we don't have an absurd, insurmountable level of problems with the public school system, with schooling in America in general. But you know, this just seems odd and unfortunate, and hopefully no kids have any ill outcomes, you know, from being involved in this.
Speaker 3: And maybe, you know, maybe we can hear from someone who is associated with Donda Academy, which had a secret location for a while. Maybe we can hear from some students or their parents. You know, we would I think we'd all love to hear some firsthand experience because again, you know, there's a there's a lot of confusion about this in the public and as you said, and no, teachers are important, mission critical right to the future of not only individuals, but the futures of the countries and communities in which they in which they practice their craft, and we want to hear you know, if you trust your Ferbie and we want to we want we want to know why you leak to those documents.
Speaker 2: Bro Yes, seriously. And also what would your academy requirements be, like, what would your outfit look like at your academy?
Speaker 3: What's something you think could fix the US education system? Right, Because one of the most successful musicians in the current era of Western music seems to have given it a go, right, I think a lot of people will have some answers, you know, Noel madd be really interesting too to see how many commonalities we find among our fellow conspiracy realists, as long as we assume it's not secretly chat GPT writing to us.
Speaker 4: God, I hope not that furby stuff.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 4: That's kinda like I said, I do think it's all fascinating, Like as someone who's a fan of you know, generative music, and we're all giant tech nerds, and I think there's a part of us that's fascinated by all this AI stuff in the way it can be used to generate like art or to help, you know, not help, but like be another tool in the toolbox, you know. And I think that video is an interesting example of that. Maybe not art. I mean, it was really kind of more of a gag. But some of the stuff you can't help but see the robot overlords pounding down your door.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and until they do it, probably hopefully even a while after that, we are going to be coming to you with more strange news, more listener mail, more episodes about all the stuff they don't want you to know. We want you to be part of the show, so please joined us online. We're all over the place, even TikTok before that gets banned.
Speaker 2: Yes, hang out with us on the socials. On YouTube. We are conspiracy stuff, Facebook conspiracy stuff, Instagram conspiracy stuff show. Wait, Twitter conspiracy stuff again, and then TikTok conspiracy stuff show. See I did that all out of order, but you'll figure it out if you like one of those. We also have ways to contact us, not on social.
Speaker 4: It's right, you can call it so one eight three three st dwy t K. Leave a message at the tone, and you've got three minutes to tell us a tale, ask us a question, you know, write us a polumn, give us a good old high Q if you need more than three minutes. Why, there's plenty of opportunities to do that you can do all the social stuff that I said a minute ago, or you can reach out to us the old fashioned way.
Speaker 3: We are conspiracy at iHeartRadio dot com.
Speaker 2: I Don't Want You to Know is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.