Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to season two eighty three, Episode five of De Diis Eye geis Alright, we got some monks, some chance Gregorian chants in the house. This is still a production of iHeartRadio, and it is still a podcast where we take a deep dive into america shared consciousness. It's Thursday, April twenty first, twenty twenty three. My name is Jack O'Brien aka Friday. It's Friday. It's Friday, April twenty first, twenty twenty three. My name is Jack O'Brien aka Debrew. In lives of millions while gaining themselves billions. They're all together, they're billions. The Murdoch family then no, no, no, you've seen them in succession despite legal repression. They represent regression, the Murdoc family. Den er no, no, all right. That's courtesy of Rezak on the discord. Thank you, that was beautiful than thank you so much. And I can. I can snap and that impresses my children and so got to show it off sometimes snap whistle all the things. I'm throwed to be joined by today's very talented co host, producer, musician, constantly streaming everything everywhere. I think he's streaming right now because he is that bitch on Twitch. It's DJ Daniel good mad.
Speaker 2: Totel iHeart because they're gonna get mad that this episode be live.
Speaker 1: Stream double stream.
Speaker 2: As we hit the stream, you.
Speaker 1: Can't cross the stream and across the streams cause the end of the Internet.
Speaker 2: You'll get sucked off by a ghost. Anyway.
Speaker 1: Happy to be here a pleasure, Yes, it's Acroyd.
Speaker 2: Exactly with the cross eyes and whatnot. It happened. Do I have an AKA today? No, but we are still DJ Daniel aka mister Steeler Ariel. Happy to be here with you. Jack did the pleasure, mister steel Your Ariola Ariel arial to a Rocket League reference got to me.
Speaker 1: For you.
Speaker 2: Sure, let's all my heads out there.
Speaker 1: Well, Daniel, we are thrilled to be joined in our third seat by a classic TDZ guest, a very talented writer, stand up comedian, podcast host of The Bechdel Cast, which takes down the patriarchy one movie at a time. You may have heard of it. She happens to have a master's degree in film No Big also happens to have the most anagrammable name in the English language. So depending on whether you've been given her name and an assortment of disorganized scrabble tiles. You might know her as Latin dancer Uti nine tit Dracula, but in our hearts she will always be the Durantula. Is Caitlin.
Speaker 3: Just happy to be here again. Here's the thing. I feel like I've reached critical mass on the anagrams of my name. I never thought it would happen, at least the ones that I've been able to come up with. Yeah, have to thank you, thank you. But I feel like I just need to maybe I need to throw my middle name in there and then unlock even more opportunities. But I don't know. That feels like a cheat code. I'm not sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I think we just leave it where it is, which is some of the greatest anagrams of all time. Thank you, Caitlin.
Speaker 2: Your legacy is untouched. So yeah, truly.
Speaker 1: You're just coming back from the East coast. You are on the West coast. Now, how are you feeling? How are you doing?
Speaker 3: I am doing well. Yeah, I was just traveling. I moved into a new apartment and then like three days later, I was like, oops, I already had this trip booked, so I had to like leave immediately and like I'm still you know, things are in disarray, but my apartment's slowly coming together, and yeah, I'm great.
Speaker 2: That's great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, we are going to get to know you a little bit better in a moment. First, we're going to tell our listeners a couple of the things we're talking about today. We're going to talk about that SpaceX launch that happened yesterday morning where they launched a three billion dollar rocket. I believe it exploded on launch, like within minutes, and then they were like, yeah, we meant to do that. So we're just going to talk about that, and just some theories around how stupid he Lamos might be. McDonald's is trying to get your data by releasing the Big Mac sauce, which I didn't Apparently there was a mystique around the Big Mac Sauce at some point. I was not aware of that number this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, it's like the special sauce and like what's in it?
Speaker 1: I always took that at them, calling it special so like a self appointed nickname. Like they were like, this is our special sauce, yeah, and everybody wants to know what's in it, and we're like no, it's clearly just Thousand Island dressing and man.
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe that is what happened.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I don't know it apparently. I think it's been around since nineteen sixty eight. I think at a certain time people are like, what isn't it? And now it's just been Everybody else was able to copy it the second they tried, and so everyone's like, it's not that special, but they're trying to do that. They released packets of their special Sauce Center saying that all you have to do is sign up for their app to get it. So we'll talk about why companies want you to sign up for their app. We might even talk about Netflix shutting down it's DVD service and why that actually sucks all of that plenty more. But first, Katelyn, we do like to ask our guests, what is something from your search history?
Speaker 3: Okay, I recently googled Claire's ring Watch because I had one as a youth. If you're not sure what a Claire's ring watch is, let me tell you.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 3: Claire's the store in the mall that has like, you know, jewelry and accessories for like tweens mostly, but I think and sometimes I still go in there and I find something I like. But this was like the store that I would frequent on any mall trip as a tween and teen, just you know, regularly, and I had at one point, so mood rings were really popular for a while. Maybe they are still or again, I don't know. I'm not I still don't quite understand gen Z fashion, and I'm like that was something I wore in high school and you're doing it again, Okay. So there was this ring that you could buy that was like it was just a miniature watch, like if you picture like a Cassio style watch in your head, it was like that. And then it was a.
Speaker 1: Ring besides a ring, yes, so you would.
Speaker 3: Wear it on your finger, and so it was like very bulky, right and like not a great ring, but it like was a functional watch, so you could like tell the time on your little ring watch. And then the one I had had a little like the like the face of the watch had an alien on it because this was back when like alien imagery was very popular, I want to say, so the nineteen ninety seven ninety eight kind of thing file yeah, yeah, and then the and then the alien would change colors depending on my mood and it was so accurate.
Speaker 1: Oh my, yeah, it's like the Swiss army wife of trend.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Finger watches.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was, you know.
Speaker 3: Like psychologically analyzing me. It was telling you the time. It was making me so my, you know, my just fingers look so cool, like yeah, multid.
Speaker 1: You ever put on your middle finger and be like, hey, could you tell me what time it is to someone you were mad at?
Speaker 3: Oh that's a good you could do that kind of a time.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I am looking at the pictures. They are I don't know what I expected, but they're bulkier. You certainly can't get away with wearing multiple on the same man.
Speaker 2: No, maybe not.
Speaker 1: They are massive. They're also shockingly priced at like what one from Etsy is thirteen dollars and ninety cents. There's another one you can get for three dollars and fifty nine cents. This seems like a marvel of technology to me.
Speaker 3: I feeling, I know, and giving them away?
Speaker 1: What is happening?
Speaker 3: I don't remember exactly why I googled it in the first place. I think I was just like talking to friends and I was like, remember those things that we had, and then I googled it to see if you could still buy them, and I honestly might get one, even though I don't wear any like finger rings.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean absolutely, go off. I have to mention. I have to mention. At the same time, despite the despite the widely available nature, of course, a company like Fossil had to take advantage and sells a one hundred dollar version as well, which seems was like.
Speaker 1: What that I trust that more than a five dollars version. For some reason, my inner capitalist is like, well, it must work better because I weard all that money. Go.
Speaker 2: I certainly don't blame you for the trust element, but just in terms of the actual electronics needed to make this happen to the mechanics, one hundred dollars seems a little steep.
Speaker 3: Little, especially if you can find one for three dollars.
Speaker 2: Also, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: Claire's the Claire website, claires dot com sells it for a five pound.
Speaker 2: There we go.
Speaker 1: So I don't think it's not available in the US. So shipping is going to be a real bitch on that one. But that's a it's a good look. I did not encounter it. It was after my time. Apparently I was there for mood rings, and I remember mood rings being a thing. My parents were like that ship again because I think it was like popular when they were kids.
Speaker 3: Also, you were going into Claire's all the time. It's just that they hadn't.
Speaker 1: Did they different fashions yet it was early Claire's, you know, it wasn't there weren't there more jelly bracelets and of course just pierced well, telling my mom I was going to get my ears pierced, and then running out crying because I was too scared. What is something, Kayline? You think is overrated?
Speaker 3: So I don't know how much Mario is still in the conation that the zeitgeist talking right now? Okay, right, Like I saw the movie the other day. I have a time. Yeah, of course was that surprising?
Speaker 1: This is surprising that you saw it. I'm just excited that you saw it and can report back because I'm excited to see it. I'm excited to take my kids to see it. I think they'll probably be able to make it through. And yeah, but I'm glad to get a good review. You did recommend one of a movie they really enjoyed. They haven't asked to rewatch it. But Paddington too, off the strength of your recommendation. That was like the one of the first movies I showed them when they got interested in movies.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, I feel honored and just just sneak it in again, maybe like a year or two down the road, and then I think they'll be old enough that they're like, this is the best movie ever made.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think what happened was that I just showed them one of the best movies ever made, and then they were like, Okay, so this is what movies are. No big whoop, And now I need to show it to them again after they've seen both Sonic and Sonic two exactly, Sonic to one of the worst movies I've ever seen.
Speaker 3: So missed it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well that I'm returning the favor. You don't have to see Sonic too.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Thank you, Thank you for.
Speaker 1: Mario looks fun, and Mario and I had fun.
Speaker 3: It's not going to revolutionize cinema, but I had a fun time as I was watching it. But both my overrated and underrated items for today are Mario related. What I think is overrated is Smash Brothers. People are like, oh, do you want to play Smash Let's just and it's just like, for what, what are we doing? What's the objective? There's no skill involved. I don't like button mash games like that. I find it very frustrating. I want some skill. Maybe it's just that I lose every time and I'm bad at it, and that's why.
Speaker 1: I don't like it.
Speaker 3: But I find it a very frustrating game.
Speaker 2: Super but you're brothers. It is an incredibly frustrating game that I too, have never been good at ever as an avid, lifelong gamer. Yeah, never good at Smashed was never my forte though I do recognize that there are people who are quite good at it, and I feel like they're the ones that always want to play yes, because it's like, hey, let's do this thing that I'm exceptionally good at. It's like, I don't.
Speaker 3: It's like, congratulations for finding the one thing in the entire world that you're good at, which is Smash, but don't bring me into it.
Speaker 2: I feel there's saying it's a similar vibe with Mario Kart as well, Like anybody who's played Mario Kart from like every version, they're like, hey, let's just play some Mario Kart, and it's like, oh, of course, I remember, you know Mario Kart sixty four. Maybe you played a little double dash like I remember that from my childhood. And then someone just like busts out the pro switch controller and is like, oh, you're toasted, And it's like I thought I just wanted to drive around. I didn't know it was gonna be a whole thing.
Speaker 1: What about jacks? What about marbles? Right? That's what I invite people to play when they come over to must Use.
Speaker 2: It's not the Mancala board.
Speaker 1: What happened to that? I come on, I'm trying.
Speaker 2: To move some pieces of glass around.
Speaker 1: That's what you're underrage, is right.
Speaker 2: I didn't.
Speaker 1: I didn't mean to jump on your under it clearly jacks and marbles? Right, all right?
Speaker 3: What is your oh short story? It is Super Mario Brothers, the movie from nineteen ninety three.
Speaker 1: Okay, cool.
Speaker 3: Here's the thing is it has a horrible reputation. People are like it is one of the worst movies ever made. We recently did an episode on it on the Bechdel Cast and I got a chance to rewatch it and I was like, oh, it's why why do people think this is so terrible? Like, sure, it's not again going to revolutionize cinema, but maybe not. It is so fun. It's funny. You've got John Logan, Legzamo and Bob Hoskins and a bunch of other fun side characters. It's I would play in the he is and he plays Koopa the villain.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, that's a lot. That is a lot of tasty for children. Right, Maybe it just missed. It's like my impression of that, and I've never seen it, but my impression of it is always that it did seem seem like it aimed to revolutionize cinema a little like it went like in a weird direction.
Speaker 3: So weird, it's very bizarre. But I would put it in the same camp as like the live action Ninja Turtles movies of the nineties, or like the Power Rangers movie. It's like, it's the same quality and vibe. So it's goofa camp camp. It's it's exact the camp camp.
Speaker 1: I loved it, Thank you. I appreciate that this is big. This has been a big show for me.
Speaker 3: We can end it early, guys later, So yeah, Mario's Mario nineteen ninety three is a boatload of fun.
Speaker 1: Did it? Pressage nine to eleven is I'm told the Twin Towers disappear in it. Oh you know what? And also a small chunk of the Pentagon just disappeared, just like a small one. No, that's not true.
Speaker 3: I know that they're digging for dinosaur bones in Lower Manhattan at some point. I don't know if it's where the two Towers are supposed to be the Twin Towers. What is two towers? That's a Lord of the Rings movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, okay.
Speaker 1: Also Pressage, everything was telling, so I don't know how we missed it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I that to answer your question, Jack, I'm not sure.
Speaker 1: It wasn't something that struck you.
Speaker 3: No, I was not paying attention. I guess I don't always attention to the intricacies of a New York Skyline and the movies I'm watching right.
Speaker 1: The fact that Hoskins they took two huge sweat Hoskins was the lead in who framed Roger Rabbit and the Mario Brothers movie. Like true, truly, like what was happening in the like I'm I'm here for it. I love it, but like just if you ever want to be like, we are not the same, like you people who grow up in today's era and people who grew up at that time, we are not the same. This was our leading man for the Mario Brothers movie Yours is a cartoon, and they still had to get like a ripped jacked, a guy named Chris who golfs with his pastor.
Speaker 2: We were just we were just down to have schlubby dudes be the leads and stuff and honestly relatable. We need more schlubby looking people compared in in things in general.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I always talk about this, but there's this like raisin brand commercial from the early eighties that I like. When I was making my old YouTube show the spit Take, I happened upon and it's like the the premise is like the brand flakes and the Raisins are personified by a singing group. And the singing group it all happened to be men who look like Bob Hoskins. They I guess they just like they were like, oh, I know, a singing group. It's like this a cappella group of police retired police sergeants or something. Because that and it's just what a time to be alive. Just all media Harry so great? Yeah, and now what is it?
Speaker 2: And now what you know. Also, speaking of the Mario movie, do you think it would have I mean, I think we look at it now, and I think, Caitlin, I think you're look at it. The long look is very correct. It's like, what's so bad about that movie? Would it have been received better if it was the gritty reboot to the Mario movie we have now, Like if we were able to have that movie after the existence of a already you know, ma like enough Mario like movie that people are like, we have that part covered now, we need give me the grit, give me the Mario. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I better so.
Speaker 3: And I think one of the reasons it was received so poorly at the time is that and like the people who wrote the script and directed the movie, like will be the first to admit this, I think, but it kind of has nothing to do with Mario. Like there is some vague iconography from the like established brand of Mario in this movie, but like barely any And there's also some like familiar characters and just like things like Mario and Luigi are plumbers. But the so the conceit of the movie was like like Nintendo was like the Mario brand is so strong that we don't even need the Mario movie to it can be whatever, Like we don't even really care, and like, sure, take some creative liberties with it, because our brand is so strong that it's not going to affect anything. So the filmmakers made some really wild swings, right with like the story and the characters, like Toad is this like punk guy, but who's also like playing acoustic guitar and playing harmonica and.
Speaker 1: Like just like weird things.
Speaker 3: Yea, and the the goombazz in this movie are not the little mushroom guys that hop around. They are reptilian people with tiny heads, and so they're more like about like Coopa is the turtle guy, right, and then there's Bowser it was also a turtle, and then so but Coopa in this version is a dinosaur. And it's just like they just took really wild creative choices, and I think people were just like, what, this isn't the Mario that I know and love.
Speaker 1: I hate it.
Speaker 3: So I think that's why everyone thought it was so bad, just because it wasn't. It deviated too far from the source material. But if you're able to separate yourself from that and you're just watching it knowing that it's like a goofy nineties kids ish movie. It's an extremely goofy movie the sequel exactly.
Speaker 1: So. I feel like a lot of early comic book movies and video game movies were directed like by people who were embarrassed to be directing them, and that was like the primary thing that you need to understand going into those movies is like, well, this is fucking stupid. Right, we can all agree this is stupid. So I'm just gonna crank this out and be done with it, or I'm gonna make it completely different and an adult movie that would scare teenagers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think we are nearing the time when video game movies will be taken fully seriously. I think I think we're getting close to that oh where movies is there?
Speaker 1: Yeah, now we take whoever won the PALMDA or and we're like, you get the next Jurassic Park movie, and they're like, thank you, sir, yes, daddy.
Speaker 2: Here's a sliver of the.
Speaker 1: I don't think that's a problem anymore, but I do think it's lost on people. I think people are like, why did they make it so shitty? It's like because they were adults and they were embarrassed and everything was about being an adult back then, like there was a different time. All right, let's take a quick break, we'll come back, we'll talk about the ultimate adult. Elon Musk will be right now, and we're back, and let's talk about SpaceX. Let's talk about so their Starship rocket. They successfully launched the largest heaviest rocket ever launched. It really looked like it was like groaning as it was like getting off the ground. Truly. Yeah, it looked heavy as it was launching, and it immediately blew up. And so the immediate spin that came off of this was that SpaceX knew that the test flight might fail. Employees even cheered as the fucking thing blew up. And I think a lot of people were like, well, maybe that's just the best you can hope for when you work for Elon Musk. But it felt like very culty to me, Like the thing a three billion dollar spaceship explodes and they're all like, yay, we're all so happy here even when things don't go according to plan. We've programmed all negative emotions out. We're just like, I'm just psyched to be here. I'm psyched you're here with me. We think you're gonna love our leader. Have you met him? Have you met Elon?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's very much. You win some, you learn some, yes, yes, yeah.
Speaker 1: But and and also the other little detail that everyone's putting on it, like the major components are designed to be reused, so this is no problem, right, but like there's no details on or like footage of the things that exploded like safely landing back on Earth, and in fact there is.
Speaker 3: It's usually not what happened.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, that's say, well, usually explode and then disintegrade and spread all over the place.
Speaker 1: As a matter of fact, Like the major components being designed to be reused doesn't seem to apply here. But that is like something that they're like, yeah, no, it's actually no big deal. You know, this is reusable. We knew it was going to probably explode. It was three billion dollars. But that's actually not a big deal to us. It's the components can't be indestructible.
Speaker 4: Like.
Speaker 3: Otherwise it wouldn't have exploded.
Speaker 1: Right, It's a really good point.
Speaker 2: I just want to know. I mean, I have to have to get to read into this little bit more, but I know that you know, the two major parts were the actual shuttle itself and then the Falcon heavy which is what's lifting it up off the ground, and that thing doesn't usually explode. But if both parts exploded, I mean, like, yeah, I don't think you're getting any of that back unless it detached and then that part exploded.
Speaker 1: But right, okay, maybe it was like a thing that had already been detached. But it was four minutes. It wasn't that much time after it was lunch. It wasn't didn't seem like much went according to plan. There's also like footage from the ground and like pieces of debris are just like flying off and like destroying cars that are there. I'm sure if anyone got hurt by any of this, they were just like you know, buried immediately. Yeah, while everyone was cheering, he is being taken to the planet, the afterlife planet that Elon will take us all to. There's a video, a great video of a minivan just getting completely wrecked by a piece of debris coming off of this as like smoke just shrouds every think if only it had been a cyber truck, but it's I don't know. They tried to frame it as a test flight. Looked like it went really bad. They called it a rapid unscheduled disassembly. This is their tweet as if a flight test was not exciting enough, Starship experienced a rapid unscheduled disassembly before stage separation.
Speaker 3: Now that is some pr That is some really, I mean, talk about taking creative liberties with language.
Speaker 1: It's pretty impressive. It's a So this is my question, Like there's a scenario that I've been like, I think a lot of people have probably been kicking around their head that like seems like it can't be true because it's like just a little too pat and cute. But it's also like every day I feel like it seems less and less far fetched. You know the episode thirty Rock the Bubble with John Hamm where he's like a handsome doctor yeah and former tennis coach and Liz discovers like he can't even perform the him like maneuver or play tennis and like everything. He's just like he rides a motorcycle, but he like can't even like ride it. He just like crashes into everything because he lives in the bubble, like a protective barrier of goodwill that follows him around because he's so handsome.
Speaker 3: Everyone just he's they've got he's got yes men all around him.
Speaker 1: Exactly, And obviously that is not what's happening with Elon Musk, because he looks like he's had the dark Side working on him for the past ten years. Like he looks like he's like one fifth of the way to what Darth Vader looks like under the mask at the end of Return of the Jedi. But I think the fifth the poetry. I think it's like a combination of we we need Like I think our part in it is we needed a Tony Stark, like we as all these things were like sort of accumulating it, like climate change is going to end the world, and we needed a Tony Stark to replace Steve Jobs, and we needed like somebody and we wanted them to have like answers to climate change and stuff, and we needed it so bad we just like grafted it onto Elon Musk. We were just like, that is Tony Stark, and we're going to run with that. Like that. I think that's a small part of it, Like people wanted to believe it at first, and then from a structural perspective, you just have a media that is run by billionaires, and like the day to day people are mostly people who went to like Ivy League schools with the children of millionaires or themselves or the children of millionaires, and like you know, they all are super interested in holding on to the idea that like our world is a meritocracy, and so elon Musk being an idiot while being the richest man in the world, like is a fatal wound for that myth. And so I just think that he there's a lot of these structural factors that have been leaving him in this bubble for a long time. And I think a lot of people started talking about this when Twitter, when he was just like so bad at running Twitter, like just so making decisions that everyone could have told you were like bad. But like now we're seeing SpaceX like just be a complete disaster, and I think people are like, well, I don't see you like launching rockets or anything. It's like he's not doing that shit either. He's just a like figurehead cheerleader who has bad ideas, like he like the have launching a three billion dollar rocket and being like, but we don't care if it explodes is a bad idea. It could hurt people what's.
Speaker 3: The Jeff Goldbloom quote from Jurassic Park where he's like, you guys were so wrapped up and think of figuring out whether or not you could that you didn't stop to think if you should something.
Speaker 2: Nailed it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, thanks so much.
Speaker 3: I have a master's degree in movie.
Speaker 1: And that was your thesis was just quoting dialogue of the movie. You start to have a master's in movie quotes.
Speaker 4: And.
Speaker 2: That's your dissertation. And the last question is can you remember that one thing?
Speaker 1: Jeff?
Speaker 3: And then I was like, oh wait, what is it? And then blah blah blah, and then the crowd goes wild.
Speaker 1: The crowd goes wow.
Speaker 3: Also, not to bring up Titanic, but I feel like there's a lot of Titanic parallels here where it's like Titanic was being built. Everyone's like, it's the largest moving object ever created by man. It's so awesome that we you know, isn't it so cool that it's huge, it's one hundred feet longer than the Martinia and far more luxurious. Blah blah blah. And then what does it do? It crashes into an iceberg.
Speaker 1: Because on latch on the Maiden Journey motherfucking voice.
Speaker 3: As Bill Paxton points out in the movie the the ship doesn't corner worth a damn. It's too big with too small a rudders and it can't turn and hit like avoid the iceberg time. It's the same thing with this.
Speaker 1: You're so busy, that's my other he could his character has like such a just like gnar bro voice, and that it always takes me back. I'm like, oh, yeah, this guy is the bookend of the of the film, just a treasure hunter Man.
Speaker 3: One of his more toned down performances, Bill Paxson is usually screaming at the top of his lunch.
Speaker 1: Yeah truly, But yeah, I don't know, do you guys think he's like because even people who criticize him are like, I mean, obviously he's a genius. He just sent me a poop emoji for asking why he didn't think to hire a custodial staff for his workforce. Obviously he's a genius. But he's making some questionable moves here, and it's our job to figure out how this is. For d chess, Like, is there any chance that he's just an idiot?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like it seems it seems like it might be like it seems weird to be to be like all these people who entrusted him with all this money were wrong, but they are all like so steeped in this myth building of like the genius billionaire. And I just think we talked about like Hitler in World War Two, like a lot of like retroactive history wants to make him into an evil genius, but he there's a lot of evidence that he was just an idiot who was at the right place at the right time, Like he like slept in. He's like on heroin and speed and like slept it until noon every day and.
Speaker 3: Was just sorry, what's wrong with that?
Speaker 1: Yeah? But it's like why the d Day of Vasion it worked was because they didn't want to wake Hitler up. And I don't know, it's just it's not infitting with the myth that they wanted for him, but like history almost needed this evil genius character, so they like invented it around this dipshit. I'm just wondering if we're like seeing a similar thing happen with Elon Muskk, where just we will persistently try to make him into a like at least a misguided genius and it's just I don't think that's what it is. At this point.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna I'm gonna break k fab here for a second. And because Elon Musk is undoubtedly a dip shit, but I do think what SpaceX as a as an organization or as a company is doing is is mind blowing and incredibly important. And while I do think, like, you know, the celebrating for these tests, I think that is kind of like, you know, participating in the cult of worship of Elon and being like, oh, it's all good, blah blah blah, is a little bit like whatever, you guys, aren't really that thrill that you just blew three billion dollars. I do think that the fact that this company that he just happens to be, I don't even is he Is he the CEO or is he just on the board of director. I don't even know what the deal is. He just put a bunch of money into it. But the fact is it's like that they invented these these thrust rockets that get stuff off the ground into space and land back down. Is sci fi? Is actual fucking sci fi That is amazing, Yeah, and and will change. Is space Traveled forever. So yes, I am breaking KFA here by celebrating SpaceX. It's true, but like he is one hundred percent of dipshit, and SpaceX succeeds in spite of him. I think what they do is awesome, and I think what they are bringing to spaceflight is incredible, despite the fact that he is such a piece of shit, asshole that sucks, sucks shit, He's whacked.
Speaker 1: Can we live for a drop? Whack? He's shit, just that whole run by Dan Oldre. Yeah, No, I don't know, Like that's the That's the thing that's confusing to me is that he is at the front of these companies that are doing interesting things, and in case of SpaceX, may be very important things. But he seems to be so persistently just such a dip shit, and I, like, I guess I had always assumed, like, yeah, he he a misguided, dipshit genius something like he has a genius in a certain area. But I the idea that history just sometimes needs someone for a role and the person just like goes along with it and they just like keep failing upwards is I don't know, when you look at how hit like there's the great man theory of history where it's like these great men have these ideas and they like changed everything and then but if you actually look at it, it's like sometimes it's just a dipshit getting swept into a very specific lane that they needed them to fill.
Speaker 2: I think that is very particularly the case here with Elon because like again, PayPal, Tesla, and SpaceX all companies none of which he invented or even came up with the ideas for. They're just things that he invested into the point that he has ownership. Like it's not like he's the genius. He's just the face of them because he had the money to put into them. And the only genius is that he looked at them and said, oh this is cool. Yeah, this is a good thing to invest in and for sure, and like that's not wrong totally. That's a good place to put your money, for sure, and they are important things despite the you know, I mean, the cyber truck is a piece of shit. The quality control on Teslas are absolutely awful, but like the Tesla batteries are cool, the the rockets are awesome. Yeah, Paypals old whatever, But like he put his money in the right place. But that's it like all he is is the money and unfortunately now the face of these companies, so that that sucks.
Speaker 1: I think every billionaire is very skilled at being a predatory opportunist like that is, and that is basically all it takes to be a billionaire is like being a very skilled opportunistic pres right, Like he just sees an opportunity to make more money, expend their money, triple their money at like an exponential rate, and just pounds and pounds and pounds and pounds. So I definitely I don't doubt that he has a genius for doing that, as does every other billionaire. It's just a very boring genius like type of genius that I think only gets treated treated something that we're willing to linize because they are in control of all the media at brands.
Speaker 2: You know, Yeah, that part sucks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, pp pooh pooh, my friend Jamie, all right, let's take a quick break and we'll be right back.
Speaker 1: And we're back. And so is McDonald's, do you guys, McDonald They did it.
Speaker 2: They did it.
Speaker 1: So this this is being treated as in some corners, probably just in places that are willing to regurgitate a McDonald's press release, but and be like this is a news story because we fired our entire newsroom. But there so McDonald's is soon going to offer. This is being treated like now you can get breakfast all day from McDonald's, which was like huge news for everyone, Like that news story was underrated, like the when McDonald's went to changing so that you can get McDonald's breakfast every all day, every day, Like yeah, we that that should have been a national holiday, big things, but this is this is bullshit. I'm going to say they're they're going to offer individual packets a big mac sauce for McNuggets or just to accumulate and then bathe in. I don't know what the ultimate goal is here.
Speaker 2: You're spoiling my future YouTube content here, Jack.
Speaker 3: Again, I ask, what's the matter with that?
Speaker 1: But you you have to order it through the app app, which means that this is all about forcing customers to download the app and get access to more data because the entire like all these companies are like we're yes, you know when when they get behind closed doors and talk to investors, everything from like credit card companies to you know, streaming companies, that they're all like, we're actually data companies. That's what we do. We know everything about customers and we make marketing to them easier. So anyways, I don't know that this doesn't I can't imagine. I can't. I can't like mentally come up with the person who is excited about getting access to Big Back sauce or am I in the room with one of those people? First? Ask is one of.
Speaker 2: Them present personally?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: But Kaitlin, No, No, I mean I.
Speaker 3: I don't eat really much meat anymore and definitely not many mammals.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: My diet is confusing. It's like I eat a mostly plant based diet, but sometimes I have meat cheat days, just sort of like the Fifth Sifth and the Camp Camp. I love a good wordplace meat cheat. I love it, so I have my meat cheat days. But yeah, I mean, but I used to love Big Max and I got to say their sauce is tasty. But I'm not going to go out of my way to go get some.
Speaker 1: No, I'm not here to say that the Big Max sauce is not tasty or Big Max are not one of the great sandwiches. I'm just when you have a Big Mac copycat, it is the sauce is identical, like it ketchup, Like there's only really a couple of good ketchups, and like, for whatever reason, they can't like nail ketch up other than like Hines and McDonald's does a pretty good job with their proprietary ketchup, but Big Max everybody's figured out and so like it's just doesn't seem like a thing to me personally, but also.
Speaker 2: Just feels like a little bit like late in the sauce game for it to be the thing that you're offering when it's like every other burger place has been giving away that kind of sauce forever. Yeah, it's just like, you know, the Thousand Island substitutes have been out there for generations, and the it's like, I don't know. I mean, of course the Big Mac is unique, and the Big Mac sauce, it's like that's always been the thing. But it's it's just like it feels so late to the game to be like, and here's here's a sauce we're offering for the first time. It's like, I don't know, it's just everybody, but.
Speaker 1: It's twenty twelve, thank you, thank you, Hello.
Speaker 2: But I will say that you know, incentivizing people to use an app has got to be the easiest thing to do these days, because people just want to check in on a thing and click a button and watch number go up until the point that it's like, oh, well, I get a free thing. Now. It's like the Starbucks app is toxic. It is toxic at being so good at getting me to buy more coffee so that line go up till I have one hundred and fifty stars and I can get a free latte.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I feel like the Starbucks app was engineered by the same people who made Candy Crush.
Speaker 2: It's just like you quite live, it's fucked up.
Speaker 3: If you gamify something, it makes it. Yeah, the accountability and inspiration and motivation, all that stuff. The AMC app where it's like, if you spend more money on snacks, you get five dollars in which will buy you like half of a hot dog. But I'm like, yeah, I need more popcorn so I can get a five dollars reward.
Speaker 1: Yes please, I mean, if it fits.
Speaker 2: It's the fuck the thing where it's like we have found a way to monetize every part of our lives to the point that ah say, rather the companies have found ways too monetize our habits such that like I'm already going to the movies, or I'm already going to Starbucks, or I'm already going to McDonald's or something like that. Why not just make it a little bit sweeter of a deal. And so I think maybe, while it might not encourage new people to download the app, because I think all of us here are like, who gives a shit, people who are already using the app are now using it more being like, oh they added another deal. Well, la di da ding ding ding ding ding.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean I've been on the McDonald's app for most of this recording, just checking out, just refreshing, seeing what's what's new, what the drive through wait time is at my three closest McDonald's.
Speaker 2: But placing orders of different stories, just getting them ready for later.
Speaker 1: Talking about like meat free and big Max that like that seems like the easiest beyond collaborate. I don't know have they done that the beyond Burger they did.
Speaker 2: They did the mc which was their plant based, plant based patty, which they did for a little while, but they didn't do it as a big Mac, right, No, they did not, well, they also just discontinued. It wasn't very popular.
Speaker 1: The big Mac Patty gets lost, and they they could like be selling Beyond Patty's in Big Max for a year and not tell anyone and everyone probably be like yop.
Speaker 2: So that's what they need to be doing exactly.
Speaker 1: So that this is my free advice to McDonald's, all right, and then some free advice for Netflix. Don't shut down your DVD service. I just remembered you had it now that you're shutting it down, and I want to use it again. This is if this was if this was like a marketing scheme to be like, our DVD subscriber numbers have dropped too low. Let's pretend we're taking it away. It has succeeded because I like they so they they've announced that they're shutting down their DVD by mail business after twenty five years the DVD The Netflix DVD library was one of a kind, like over one hundred thousand titles, so many films that just like are not available to stream anywhere, definitely not on Netflix. Netflix, by the way, has I think a total of thirty eight movies older than the year nineteen eighty and like ninety two older than the year nineteen ninety.
Speaker 2: Right, so which a lot?
Speaker 1: Yeah, are there even ninety movies before nineteen ninety I actually don't know. I thought that's when they started making them. Yeah, But this is like I feel like I, you know, made the switch from doing the DVD thing when I, you know, stopped having a DVD player and when Netflix still had most things that I wanted to watch, and then as the streaming wars have kicked off, and like now you have to subscribe to like five different services to still have access to all the movies that you want to you used to be able to get like on Netflix. I feel like it's they I would I would go back to the DVD thing now.
Speaker 3: Well two things I don't know. I have to preface this that way, but I have a very a long relationship with Netflix DVDs where I started getting them like two or three years before anyone else I knew was getting them. I think I started flex uh receiving Yeah, major brag. I liked it before it was cool, I think two thousand and four because I was like, I was a freshman in film school that year, and I was like, I need to watch movies all the time. So I like heard about it, and everyone's like, what's this new Netflix thing? And I was getting my three DVDs at a time and I was cycle through them, really making it worth it. And then I had Netflix DVDs long before DVDs were a medium that anyone was using. So because you still can get a bunch of stuff that you couldn't have access to streaming. And nowadays, if something isn't on a platform to stream for free on the subscription that you have, you can still rent most things for like whatever four bucks on YouTuber, Amazon or something like that. But there are enough things such as the Super Mario Brothers movie nineteen ninety three, that does not exit. It's been scrubbed from the Internet. You cannot rent it, by it, stream it. It just does not exist.
Speaker 1: Want to do with a movie that predicted nine to eleven?
Speaker 3: Exactly erase the evidence, but I would hazard a guess that that movie is available to like whatever, borrow or rent from Netflix DVDs. Same thing with Jamie and I and a guest. We're going to do an episode on the movie two hundred cigarettes doesn't exist anywhere. I can't rent it, can't buy it, can't stream it. You cannot do that with Crossroads there and other movies Crossroads, you know, the Britney Spears class. Whoa wow, So you know at least those three movies and probably why why did it get scrubbed?
Speaker 2: That's then.
Speaker 3: But anyway, all this to say, I no longer have Netflix DVD's, but I kind of wish I did sometimes because there's things that I don't want to, like rent for four bucks. Like I had to rent Sausage Party because Jamie and I did an upcoming episode on it, and I'm like, I don't want anyone to have money from this movie. It's the worst movie I've ever seen, but I had to pay four dollars from it. I would rather just like play, pay like a lump subscription fee for something and then not feel like I have spent money on Sausage Party.
Speaker 2: That was a weird way to say the best movie you've ever seen?
Speaker 1: I miss Sorry. I just opened an old notebook from the early two thousands that I just had in my closet and I had a Netflix DVD there, So.
Speaker 2: Yeah that they are never getting back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I did like pay for I remember paying for it. I was like, I'm being responsible and you know that they're Otherwise they would have been like charging me monthly for the.
Speaker 2: Rest of it, very honestly. So yeah, well, at least at least we know it's not your fault that that that is going out of business. You paid your dues. Physical media. I mean this video game I really like called Death Stranding, where the entire thing is about we live in this post apocalyptic world where now people are like desperate for physical media, and this game has like quote unquote predicted so many things about like it came out before the pandemic and how everybody was stuck inside and the only thing that was available to do outside was be a delivery person and that felt so true. And the fact that they're delivering physical media and now we're in a time where physical media is just slowly disintegrating, it just feels too I don't know, it feels very sad. It feels very apocalyptic, and how we're just like losing the things that we have that we could actually physically hold on to. And preservationists people with huge catalogs and huge things on their walls where it used to be like damn, why you got all them DVDs? Those people are saying well, who's laughing now, I.
Speaker 3: Still have a binder full of DVDs, much like that one guy one time said he had a binder full of women. That's why I still have a bunch of books on my shelf. Like yeah, I like I like, yeah, books made the lead.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah. Books never got replaced by Kendall because for I don't know, probably for a number of good reasons. But maybe we should take another look at this, like it's it's it really feels like the corporations behind the entertainment industry have us exact where they want us. When like you know, dis or physical media that you could own and consume at home became a thing in the early eighties, they freaked the fuck out, Like they were like, you know, when VCRs came out, the like studios opposed the home video boom, they started like suing. They sued Sony to try and make it so they couldn't make like the Betamax, which was the original VCR, because they were like, this is going to We're just losing too much control of like how we display our films and how we're able to control them and like hold people hostage to be able to watch them and because it wasn't modern America. The corporations lost out on that one, or I guess they lost to another corporation, so it still makes sense.
Speaker 3: Moder Do you know that porn was largely responsible for home media becoming so popular?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah. Porn is always at the forefront of everything. It's also like built the Internet. It built the home video boom.
Speaker 3: SpaceX more like space xx X.
Speaker 1: Thank you You're welcome. Almost made a let's talk about SpaceX baby. We were in Claire's spiritually love it.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: Caitlin as always such a pleasure having you on the daily geist. Where can people find you? Follow you all that good stuff?
Speaker 3: The pleasure is all mine. First of all, you.
Speaker 1: Can all yours.
Speaker 3: Well we'll share, Yeah we can.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah we can.
Speaker 2: Okay, Okay, I'll dare you fuck.
Speaker 3: You can follow me on Twitter, Instagram and TikTok because despite me not being very active on TikTok, I I am pretending to try to have a TikTok presence. So my username across all platforms is the same. Just at Caitlin Durante. You can listen to the Bechdel Cast that I co host with Jamie Loftis and we examine movies through an intersectional feminist lens. Again, recent episode on the Mario movie from ninety three, plus many others. We just released an episode on the woman King George of the Jungle. The range we have is astonishing, the range amazing, And yeah, that's.
Speaker 1: That, And is there a working media that you've been enjoying?
Speaker 3: So I'm gonna plug something that I haven't seen yet, which might be dangerous, but I'm very excited to see it, and I think it'll be good based on who has made it. But there's a movie coming out. I think it opens on April twenty eighth called Polite Society. I'm really excited. The trailers make it seem like so much fun. It's directed by Nita Mansor, who also created a television show I really like called We Are Lady Parts. So I recommend it's so good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we talked about it on a streaming corner.
Speaker 3: It's amazing. So she directed this movie that's coming out, Polite Society. And so here I am plugging something that I haven't seen and I'm not sure will be good, but I think it will be. And so I would just encourage people to go to the theater. Come come to this place. We come to this place from magic. We come to this place to laugh, to cry, to care. And if you don't have an AMC, you can go to another theater and watch Polite Society.
Speaker 1: But do wear some shiny silver pants there? Yes?
Speaker 3: And where all of your ring watches?
Speaker 1: I feel like I could see her rocking some ring watches Nicole Kidman. Yeah, that time that she was clapping strangely that time happening it was it was because she had too many ring watches on and she didn't want them clanking together.
Speaker 2: I get that. I'm getting sensitive sensitive mechanics in those rings.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, Daniel, Yeah, such a pleasure having you. Where can people find you? And is there a working media you've been enjoying?
Speaker 2: As always, it is a pleasure to be here, happy to be doing duty for Miles while he is doing dad stuff. You can find me on all the internets at DJ Underscore Daniel d A n L. You can find me streaming on Twitch if this is coming out this is today is Friday, so you can find me playing uh this game control, which actually kind of has something to do with the fan of syndrome. Oddly enough, but that's the story for another time. Yeah, I'll be on four pm Pacific Standard time, and yeah, let me see, is there a piece of social media that I really like? I mean, I will say there's just a whole ouvra of check mark tweets now that are just making me laugh. And one that I like is from a friend and DJ Dylan Francis. You know that there's like those two mannequins where one is crying, the other one's like laughing pointy at the other one, and the crying mannequin has a check mark and the other one said, this motherfucker paid for Twitter, And so that's funny. The anti check mark brigade is out, and it's not really sharing my own tweet, but I tweeted the haha shout out never had a check mark gang ha ha with the crying face covered by the covered by the smiling mask thing, because yeah, never got there anyway.
Speaker 1: Okay, you can find me on Twitter at Jack Underscore O'Brien, a tweet I've been enjoying. Abraham Josephine. Josie Reesman tweeted dead naming is wrong except for the Sears Tower. The Sears Tower will be the Sears Tower again called the.
Speaker 3: Yeah and Staples Center too, because that's what the Crypto dot com arena.
Speaker 2: Now, yeah, we have the crip is Yeah, the crypt I do kind of like the crypt but it's Staples.
Speaker 1: Yeah's Staples. You can find me on Twitter at Jack Underscore ol Brian. You can find us on Twitter at daily Zekeeist. We're at d daily Zekeeist on Instagram. We have a Facebook fan page and a website, Daily zekeeist dot com. We post our episodes and our footnotes where we link the information that we talked about in today's episode, as well as a song that we think you might enjoy. To producer Justin Connor, do you have a song do you think people should hear?
Speaker 4: This is a song I used to hear all the time when we were like pregaming or like coming back from a party or whatever back in the day in my in my DJ days, And since you know Daniel's here, I feel like it was a good opportunity to share this song. This is a song called I'm God by Clam's Casino. You can listen to this track like if you're still celebrating for twenty you know, twenty four hours later, or whatever.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: It's a very chill song, it's very versatile and there's a lot to listen to in here. So that is I'm God by Clams Casino when you can find that song in the footnotes.
Speaker 1: Footnotes DAILY'SAI guys are the production of iHeart Radio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcast, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows. That is is gonna do it for us this morning, back this afternoon to tell you what is trending and we'll talk to you all done. Fight bye,