Speaker 1: From UFOs to psychic powers and government conspiracies. History is riddled with unexplained events. You can turn back now or learn this stuff they don't want you to know. A production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hello, welcome back to the show. My name is Matt, my name is Nol.
Speaker 3: They call me Ben. We're joined as always with our super producer Paul. Mission control decands. Most importantly, you are you are here, and that makes this the stuff they don't want you to know. Weirdly enough, this episode is very baseball centric at the beginning. But look, if you don't love baseball, if you're not a baseball nut like our pal Max Williams, never fear. Don't let that dissuade you. Because, fellow conspiracy realists, you may recall in an earlier part of our weekly Strange News segment, Matt, you brought a pretty disturbing story about some revelations related to baseball and long term health consequences, well some possibilities.
Speaker 2: Right, there's no We came away from that episode with the understanding that there is no proof that there's a link between what we're going to talk about today and that specific type of brain cancer.
Speaker 3: But right.
Speaker 2: It doesn't look good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like playing It's like playing clue, you know, in the board game Clue, where you have to have three cards so you can name the person, the weapon, and the place. Yeah, they are about two cards in here. I would say two and a half. And that's just being diplomatic.
Speaker 4: Two toes down perhaps, yeah, not ten toes.
Speaker 2: But what we found in the research, like the full research for this episode, is that it goes way beyond baseball.
Speaker 3: Yes, the implications are far past the stadium. Here are the facts. First, astro turf. It's a cool name. It sounds a vaguely space related. But what is this stuff? It might be interesting for a lot of us listening today to learn that AstroTurf is a brand name. It is one example of a thing that exists under multiple manufacturers. Right, Astroturf's actually a proprietary eponym. We're talking about this a little bit off air. We were naming a couple. Paul shouted out popsicle from our brain Stuff days And what is a proprietary eponym?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean it's basically it's a brand. Essentially, it's the name of a product that ends up being so ubiquitously known that it kind of becomes the stand in for all other you know, sort of I guess you could call them imitators. But it really does become sort of a case of parallel thinking where the product is so ubiquitous that probably it was almost invented simultaneous by multiple parties, but the one with the name that stuck is the one that kind of, you know, became the one, and then everyone else is sort of refers to the other ones by that same name, like xerox, for example, which is just you know, photo copying, but it is that people will to say, run a xerox of this, or even google googling it.
Speaker 3: Google it.
Speaker 4: Or coke in some places just refers to a carbonated drink.
Speaker 2: You know, I need a band aid.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's what. That's a great example. I will I will see. I will share one example, an old war story that Matt and Nola you guys have already heard.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: I first ran into proprietary eponyms while working on a show called Stuff of Genius, a kids show about inventors. Turns out, you, yeah, that's right. I forgot. Gosh, how many shows have we worked on together, Matt?
Speaker 4: A lot, a.
Speaker 3: Lot, Yeah, so so Matt was doing the hard work on stuff genius, and I was also there, and the Tyler and Tyler Klaying Yes, Tyler Klayg a good friend of the show who actually he's kind of a Jerry. He doesn't appear on air that often. But yeah, so I first at least learned about proprietary eponyms when I learned that the makers of Frisbee are pretty litigious, a lot less fun, a lot less fun than maybe the image would imply. If it is not a Frisbee brand Frisbee, it can only be called a flying disc and they will find you.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 3: AstroTurf, then, is the most popular example the street name for a product, a kind of product, a genre of product that exists all over the Western world. It's weird because we can get in the origin story of inventions. It can be kind of tough to suss out who made what because to your point, Oh, there's so much parallel thinking that can occur. People like good inventors identify a problem and then try to reverse engineer right work back from the problem towards the solution. So it shouldn't surprise us that there there are a couple of foggy parts about the AstroTurf or synthetic turf origin story, but we do know it was not originally named AstroTurf.
Speaker 2: No, it was called kim Grass. Kim Yum. That just sounds great. Give me what I want to frolic on some kim grass sounds.
Speaker 3: That was their original motto too, right, Matt kim Grass Yum.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, I think so.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So we got these, uh, we got these. One story goes there are these two dudes, James im Faria and Robert T. Wright. They worked out of a place called kim chem strand chem Grass. Get it.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, well it has to do with synthetic fibers, right, and creating synthetic fibers became a big deal back in the sixties.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, oh my gosh, did so much for workouts, and synthetics fibers still play a big role, I guess in gym based internet selfies, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, way more things than you could possibly imagine. There are synthetic types of fibers that end up in those products.
Speaker 3: And they're tremendously useful and versatile. The issue is that they're also in the grand scheme of things, a very new kind of endeavor for humans. Kim Strand may be recognizable to some people. I don't know who. You're very plugged in if you already knew this, because we didn't. Kim Strand was a subsidiary of Monsanto, who is back. Monsanto rides again in stuff they don't want you to know. And they first put this stuff in a school in Rhode Island back in the sixties. That was like their test field.
Speaker 2: In nineteen sixty four.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and schools the ultimate cam testing fields.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah. But then in nineteen sixty six that's when it ended up in Texas where why we know it as astro turf.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and want a shout out David Cheney, who is also often mentioned as the inventor of AstroTurf. Some other manufacturers cite him. There's a Sports Illustrated article about him. They say that he's the guy responsible for creating this stuff. The way they put it, is responsible for indoor Major League Baseball. Millions of welcome Matt's origin story aside, Matt, You're absolutely right. The big moment, the real debut comes in Houston, Texas, nineteen sixty six at the Astrodome. The Astrodome at the time is cutting edge it's like that. It's like the beginning of that Simpson's monorail episode. Everybody wants to have an astrodome. It's an indoor stadium, you know what I mean. Finally humanity has Humanity has conquered the gods of weather and said, we don't care what the environment's like. We're gonna play till the ninth inning.
Speaker 2: Well, it's human engineering. It's beautiful human engineering at work. Right. We need a way to have these baseball games, like maybe in a pure way. It's pure baseball, right, you don't got to worry about getting rained out, you don't got to worry about super crazy hot days when you're out there playing on the field. Let's do it indoors. So like that's They solved a ton of problem by putting a dome on top of the stadium, but then it created more problems.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like these things often do well.
Speaker 2: And one of the major problems was they in order to light that stadium right, like correctly, to get enough light inside that dome, you had to have crazy strong lights on the dome all over it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then they had to they actually had to step some of that back and pint some of the ceiling lighting area because the lights were too bright for the players to see the balls coming down.
Speaker 2: And well, yeah, imagine the sun is one point of light in the sky, right and it may not be directly above you while you're playing. Sometimes it is, but even then it's one point of light. Now you've got like dozens.
Speaker 3: Now you're in the spotlight no matter where you look. And they also had a problem with the grass. This thing that I love that you point out the architecture reminds me of my favorite architecture quote, which is, gosh, I can't remember who said it, but someone once described architecture's frozen poetry. Ooh yeah, And I think that's a really beautiful way to think about it. And things like the stadium, these massive marvels of human engineering. They really are. There is poetry to them. But there's also a really tough landscaping situation, which is nuts, but it makes sense because they had such a hard time keeping the grass growing and this enormous indoor cutting edge stadium that by the second half of the nineteen sixty five baseball season they literally said, Paul, beat me here. They said, get We're just gonna have to paint the dead grass green because we can't grow it. And of course, if you have ever played baseball, you know the grass the field itself is a big part of how you play. The game's right of dreams apparently.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And chemicals.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so they tried a new option. They tried several different types of grass. None of it would take, so they resurfaced the field with chem grass from your friends at Kimstrand, the subsidiary of Monsanto Global chem Yeah, which itself is probably a subsidiary of Illumination Global Unlimited. There's a lot of questions still out there, right, So what was kim grass?
Speaker 4: Well, kim grass is essentially a carpet of fake grass. You can transport it to like these roles, you know. So essentially it is a carpet of half inch thermoplastic fibers that's attached to a rubber mat and then laid on top of a base. In this case it would be an asphalt base. Chemstrand was smart, you know, in their branding play here when they thought of this as an opportunity to rename it based on this new use. Because you know, we have the team obviously that named the Astros and the stadium and all of that, but also Astro just has that kind of thing of the future vibe, right, So they rename the stuff from the maybe more accurate and possibly ill advised named Kemgrass to Astro Turf.
Speaker 3: Get it.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, it makes a ton of sense from a branding perspective, right, from a marketing perspective, from a company that's like, oh, this is kind of working, guys, I think we could probably do this again like a lot.
Speaker 4: Let's create an association with a pre existing beloved brand.
Speaker 2: No, right, guys, this is a moment in like history history. So in the news this thing. People are talking about this in the New York Times. Oh wow, brand new, brand new turf going in and it's a stuff of the future. Everyone look at this Astro too, which.
Speaker 3: Is also I think, was it stuff from the future. We we had another show, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: Where by the way, Paul worked on stuff of genius. I don't know if you guys, remember I.
Speaker 4: Have a video editor.
Speaker 3: Did I get some reputation for not acknowledging people's work.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, I just totally forget well.
Speaker 3: Shout out to Paul. Yes, Paul is an absolute mastermind. And Paul's Paul's parents, many many people, many people's parents in the show today, as well as some of our fellow conspiracy realists listening now, may have been alive when this news hit, and it was nationwide, it was syndicated, It was a big deal. It was very Jetsons, it's very futuristic. Also, it's a way better name than Keem Grass. You know what were their other mottos. Their first one was young and then their second one was kim Grass to pay for the ground, like they needed the help with an AstroTurf was there. It also looked like it's saw so many problems. You're a stadium owner and you say, okay, there's an upfront cost here, but over X amounts of years, I won't have to pay for near as much maintenance. Right, So this is a long term investment for me, and I want my stadium to stay around as long as possible. So it becomes incredibly common in indoor and outdoor stadiums all through the seventies. It goes beyond the borders of the US. It's in Canada, it's in Toronto, and well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Major League Baseball really really bought into the stuff. There were a ton of brand new stadiums that were built with this this turf, artificial turf laid down there, and it was again touted as, oh man, this is a great new thing. We got.
Speaker 3: This is how the pros play, right. And as of twenty twenty three, there are more than twelve thousand artificial turf playing fields of some sort the United States, and according to a trade group that we'll get into a little bit later called the Synthetic Turf Council, more than twelve hundred or so or installed every year in recent years, definitely twenty thirteen, and the pattern seems to have continued up until at least the pandemic. The idea for ask Returf comes from a place called the Educational Facilities Laboratory and nonprofit and they said, we want to help people learn. We want to create and foster environments that set kids up for success. And they've found a really interesting study that showed if you're a military recruit in the fifties and you come from a rural area, you will tend to be more physically fit than recruits from urban areas from big cities. And this is back before the majority of humans lived in big cities, so it's a little easier to study this. This this caused someone to urge Monsanto to create a grass like surface that you could lay down in city lots so kids have more places to play. And you can see stuff like this in playgrounds all across big cities, right Like, if you've ever walked around New York, then you will see that kind of green patch with the playground equipment and it's not real grass, right, but it might be grass like. That's what they were aiming for. They thought it was the best thing. It's the turf for the future. A lot of actual baseball players, because remember this started in Major League Baseball. They didn't dig it. They were concerned.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, one of the biggest problems is when you're playing baseball, often you dive for things.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: A lot of that is when you're sliding, you know, if you're running around the bases doing stuff like that. But if you're in the outfield, you know that you're going to be diving for balls every once in a while. And when you do something like that in your arm, like you're let's say your elbow scratches along the grass or something on the ground, you're gonna get cut up a little bit. Right, It may not be crazy bad, but you might get cut up a little bit, a little bruising, but if you're on this artificial turf. The baseball players started noticing that they were getting what was akin to rugburn, like really really bad rugburn anytime they would dive for anything.
Speaker 4: Well, I also have to ask, I mean, you know any you know, any any league play type you know, sport where yeah, you ultimately are like playing to get into playoffs and then some sort of championship. You know, is it consistency important, like in terms of like the venues where you play, And couldn't having astro turf on some stadiums and not others be considered either just kind of like skewing the figures a little bit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that could be a concern. And you know, every uh, every every stadium seat umpire would raise that and other variables to explain the outcome of a game, especially if they're team lost. Sorry, folks, But the issue for the players was not just the rashes, the rugburn, the skids that these ballplayers are encountering. It's the fact that they never healed. At least that's what we heard from folks like former Astros outfielder Bob Watson. Turns out Bob may have been pretty prescient. This stuff was spreading to football stadiums as well. By nineteen eighty four, seventeen out of twenty eight NFL teams we're playing on artificial turf. And to your point, Nol about the importance of having a uniform field of play wherever you go, there's a pretty good argument you can make at this time where you say, Okay, now we're equalizing things. We need to make this turf ubiquitous. It needs to be the stand very convenient for the Globochems of the world.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, a bit of a pain in the butt for Major League Baseball and anyone that's responsible for retrofitting all of these stadiums.
Speaker 3: I'm picturing. I'm picturing right now. I'm picturing the the AstroTurf folks making handshake deals and leaning in and saying Kim Grass the way that people said Hail Hydras exactly in those Marvel movies.
Speaker 4: Yeah, y'all, not to act like I'm oh, poor major League Baseball, but I mean, you know, anytime you have like a sea change like this where a new anything comes up and it becomes sort of the order of the day. So there are people who have to kind of kick into gear and figure out how to make the change without disrupting their season.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, but guys, I think the biggest thing here's where you're talking about the handshake deal whispering in about Kim Grass there, because we learned pretty recently. Gosh, I guess it was a while ago now, but when the Braves got a new stadium in a different part of Atlanta, you guys remember this, or I guess not even really Atlanta in com County, And just how huge of a deal, how much money was to be made when a new stadium was being built. And in this time, just before AstroTurf starts making its way into other major leagues, there are a ton of brand new fields that are constructed with specifically chemgrass as one of the major selling points.
Speaker 3: Right. Yeah, now, it's a feature, you know, like you're buying a car. You could pony up a little extra and get the airbags or the power of steering, the seat belt and so on. Yes, if seat belts gave you cancer.
Speaker 2: Or hey, the tires, you can get the tower.
Speaker 3: Go oh god, yeah, we'll get to it.
Speaker 4: I was annoyed to find when I bought my certified pre owned Honda Fit that it did not come with floor mats.
Speaker 3: I know what later, what are you? What are you a billionaire? You're buying cars with floor mats? Chassa over here. Uh, I've been going through a thing where I referenced Monssa.
Speaker 4: I don't know who is, but I imagine it's a big wig of some For a long time, the the most wealthy dude in history went on a tour on the African continent back in the day and broke the economies of every place he went to, just because he rolled with.
Speaker 3: That much gold. Uh maybe a ridiculous history episode.
Speaker 2: Yeah, floor mats equals mansa musa.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all these fancy these floormat tycoons also artificial turf floor mats. Probably don't buy them. You'll see why. But but that is weird just to say on that for a second though, Like they no floor mats.
Speaker 4: Well, he didn't tell me either.
Speaker 3: I had.
Speaker 4: I got the car and then I looked in there and I was just like paper on the floor and there's no floor mats. And I called him, and the guy acted like I was asking the most ridiculous question. I was like, what do.
Speaker 3: Formats are of the car?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: He said that actually, and uh and then yeah, I just ended up buying some kind of aftermarket ones or whatever. Floormats aren't like crazy expensive. I'm sorry at the end of ramp, they're not crazy expensive. But yeah, you think that would be stock.
Speaker 3: I do a double system. I get the kind of the shell floormat and then the fabric one on top of that. It's just easier to clean, ask no one. So anyhow, the uh, we'll talk about layers in a minute. That's that's kind of a segway anyway. So the NFL players also share the concerns of the baseball players when it comes to AstroTurf. They say, this surface is harder, We're getting more strains, we're getting more abrass than we did playing just on natural grass. And they also, this is interesting. I didn't see a ton of this popping up a lot. I don't know if you guys saw it, but there were complaints that abrasions from artificial turf also led to staff infections.
Speaker 2: H yeah, I remember reading that in the Science History Institute article you shared Ben that. Yeah, I think that's that's a common thing, like, because they don't heal very quickly for one reason or another, the infection can set in.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it already feels a little creepy too, right that the idea that a braiding your skin on this surface will take longer to heal than if it were abraided on grass. It's just weird. This didn't phase the AstroTurf crew nor the other manufacturers entering the market. Were millions of dollars, millions acres acres of turf, and they were doing this by expanding past the major leaks, past the NFL. They were going to minor leaks. We're going to cope even high school teams, right, and with great success because they had this beautiful marketing, you know, play like the big boys essentially.
Speaker 2: Well, I think about it again. We talked about this before, but the number of Major League Baseball stadiums in this country is very tiny. The numbers NFL teams like twenty eight or something, I don't even know, thirty That that's just you can make your money that many times if you stay there in the big time, but if you move out to the small time. Every county in the country has multiple high schools, right, oh yeah.
Speaker 4: And if that's entially like farm teams and stuff too, you know, or like you know, minor league and.
Speaker 3: All of that, right, minor leagues are a big thing. That The the cool thing about this business model too, if we're being just a bit soulless, is that if everything goes right, they're going to keep building more schools. Yeah, and what are those schools need? They need more places to play, so kaching players are complaining. And over time baseball stadiums, we know, the major ones start converting back to natural surfaces. New varieties and strains of grass come out, and this enables you know, this enables more hardy plants matter. And if you go to the nineteen nineties, you'll see that the synthetic turf manufacturers introduce what they call a new generation of turf, a new and improved formula, and they say this will be safer, softer, more comfortable.
Speaker 2: And we'll tell you all about what those changes were and what they meant for everybody's health. Right after a word from our sponsors and we're back.
Speaker 4: So we sort of teased before the break that there was a change in this synthetic turf that supposedly would create a safer and more comfortable playing surface. This is in the nineties, so what kind of changes are we talking about. Obviously the goal here is to imitate grass as much as possible, you know, in terms of the feel and the length of the fibers or the material or whatever. But we know, as we mentioned earlier, that this was causing some kind of nasty injuries. You know, when folks were skidding around, they were basically getting like turf rash. So in order to mitigate that, I think, if I'm not mistaken, guys, the idea was to lengthen these grass fibers a bit. That could perhaps cause a little more cushioning, create a little bit more of a soft landing.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, they'll bend a little more when your elbows and knees and everything land on them.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And they also one of the big improvements was what's called the infill. You can get a good picture of this if you go to the Synthetic Turf Council. But of course be aware that they have a horse in the race, right they have a team there rooting for.
Speaker 2: Them. We went on their website, looked at all the companies. Oh yeah, yeh.
Speaker 3: Get ready for that one. What you need to know now is that the infill, the stuff that provides a lot of this cushioning when they came out with these improvements, it consisted of something called crumb rubber like cake crumb with a b rubber from used tires specifically that gets ground up into particles that are usually about just one millimeter across, and then they get mixed up with sand. And this was at the time a very cool solution to another problem. People had piles and piles and piles of tires and they didn't know what to do with them, you know what I mean. They they knew they wouldn't decompose very easily, and they were in open air dump They became condos for rats and vermin, mosquitoes, roaches, and if the weather conditions were right or wrong, then these piles of tires would catch on fire.
Speaker 2: I am just I love this episode, guys, because it really is human ingenuity and engineering at play, all intertwining. Just the idea of how important tires are to the growth of the United States of America, right, and Ben, I know you know a ton about that with car stuff, but like just how important building creating something that could get all of the cars around on these brand new interstates we had built at one time.
Speaker 3: For Henry Ford even built his own town right out in Brazil just to make tires and a bursty humility. He called it Fordlandia. Yeah.
Speaker 2: But then at some point those tires go back and there are you know, some companies who special in getting a tire back ready to go on the road, but mostly those tires end up in a landfill mm hmm.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And those dumps are also they're you know, they're not completely cut off from the environment obviously, so rain water falls on these tires and that helps chemicals from the tires leach into the ground. Everybody's saying these tires are a problems. So if you are an inventor and you come forward and you say, hey, I've got a great way to use these, you know, you can forget about the rat condos and those constant tire fires. Well, let's play baseball. Then it sounds like a win win, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The mosquitoes for me, it's really the mosquitos.
Speaker 3: Is the mosquitoes for you, and just taking like, think about how many tires they're using too. One one industry estimate we saw said that covering a NFL regulation football field with synthetic turf using is the equivalent of twenty thousand to forty thousand tires, which is a great way to clean your landfill.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's awesome, but I don't I never saw the statistics for the number of tires scrap tires that end up in landfills every year. I know it's a ton, right, it's a problem. Yeah, twenty to forty thousand, that's definitely making a dent. But is it just a dent?
Speaker 4: When you get new tires, you know, and oftentimes the auto shop or whatever, they'll for a fee dispose of your tires for you, sort of more of an out of sight, out of mind convenience. But it isn't really like they're just vanishing these tires in a puff of smoke. I mean, they're just going to one of these same places, right.
Speaker 2: They'll yeah, ship them to another country sometimes.
Speaker 3: Probably exactly, Yeah, and they'll they'll just it's a like a nimby fee you pay quite literally so that those tires are not in your backyard the tire manufacturer. Here's the tricky part. Tires are definitely not garden variety rubber like you would get from plant source. They contain a lot of chemicals that make them reliable on the road, stuff like oh, here we go, polysicilic aromatic hydrocarbons that makes it stronger, makes it more durable. But then they also treat it with zinc oxide. Zinc oxide can have lead, it can have cabmium, which is also bad. This stuff makes the tire more elastic, it makes it last longer, but the entire entire time it is emitting those chemicals or things generated by those substances. So in two thousand and nine, the EPA says, all right, all right, we've heard the people. We're gonna we're gonna check out synthetic turf in these sports fields and by this point in the two thousands it's on playgrounds too, and we're going to see if any of these particulates, any of these weird metals or chemicals or what are called volatile organic compounds aka new car smell stuff. We're going to see if that is dangerous to the people playing there. And surprise, the EPA said, nah, all good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course they did. Of course they did. Uh we kind of I don't want to. I don't want to glide over this fact too much. It is these turfs are being used in playgrounds, in playgrounds at schools, and playgrounds in public parks, all kinds of places. And you know, if there's potentially a problem, we got a serious problem. Because it's not only affecting professional you know, baseball players, football players, high school football players and baseball players and soccer players. It's affecting little kids who are just out there innocently playing on a playground.
Speaker 3: And you could argue all all the people involved or innocent, no.
Speaker 2: One else, No, no baseball player, no Major League baseball players innocent. I'm just sure no. But I guess what I mean from a public concern standpoint, right, that ups the ante when kids are now involved.
Speaker 3: Understood, Yeah, and agreed. And today only five professional baseball teams still use synthetic fields. But just because the things gone doesn't mean the effects or consequences of it have vanished. Just last month, as we record, a report came out via the Philadelphia Enquirer alleging that six former Philadelphia Phillies may have died from exposure to this stuff. Here's where it gets crazy. It appears to be true. Again, we were very careful in the beginning to say, like, we don't have all of the clue pieces, right. We know a place, we know a possible weapon, and we know a possible victim or perpetrator, but we don't have it all connected. Yet We're still like a card short.
Speaker 2: What did the we know a place where glioblastoma exists? Sorry, oh god, nailed it?
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, yeah, let's talk about that. What's what's the scoop? What did Philly tell us? So?
Speaker 4: The Philadelphia Inquirer reported that these six athletes, all of whom we talked about this in the Strange News segment, died from a very rare brain cancer called glioblastoma. Had played most of their careers with the Phillies, which the team that competed on artificial turf in Veteran stadium for decades. Former EPA scientist named Kyla Bennett, who is now with the Public Employees of Environmental Responsibility nonprofit, have this to say about the whole the whole situation. There is a high number of Philadelphia Phillies diagnosed with this rare cancer, and it looks weird, so that should be a red flag. We don't know what those chemicals are doing to us. What happened to exercising caution when we're talking about human health. This is a very good question, you know, I mean, and something that we've talked about many times where something like, for example, asbestos. You know, at one time it was promoted as being this magical future material that was you know, going to be everything should be built out of this stuff, and then of course they are off to the races installing it and everywhere from schools to hospitals, you know, you name it. Only too fine, through subsequent research and advances in technology and you know, analysis that this stuff is just deadly. I mean, it does seem like we are very you know, hot for the next new thing and the next new whatever that thing might be, sometimes to the point of you know, hedging our bets and saying, oh, it's fine, we done our due diligence. But then that due diligence changes and the scope of it changes over time as new methods become available for checking into this stuff. Not to mention when you start to see red flags like these cases we're seeing here.
Speaker 2: Well, and remember the connection between the artificial turf and those rare cancers at this point when we're you know, when we're when it's being looked into. Even then when the Philadelphia Inquirers read is talking about it and writing about it, it is just a connection, right. It's like, oh, here's one commonality between these six baseball players that got this rare cancer. But that's apparently not when the concern began when it comes to baseball players being affected potentially by that artificial turf.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And for her part too, Kyla Bennett is a subject matter expert and is not doing some kind of polemical like hot take. Genuinely say it looks weird. It should be a red flag. Yeah. I think that's pretty understandable, right, And like you were saying, Matt, this is I don't know about guys. I was surprised to find that concerns date back so far. It goes beyond players saying like, hey, I don't care for this from my personal experience. In twenty seventeen, New York Times published an article about this very thing, and Matt, you want to hit them with the headline.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sure, The New York Times says the brain cancer that keeps killing baseball players.
Speaker 3: Oof, not pulling a lot of punches there. Yeah in the big Apple. Okay, well this.
Speaker 2: Really is rare. Well you know it's rare to be an MLB player. Well yeah, you know, this brain cancer is really rare. Though.
Speaker 3: I like that you're adding that layer too, because now we're seeing an increased selection, right, So we should note that in these studies and reports all the stuff we've found, multiple experts on brain cancer, like neurooncologists and so on, take a lot of pains to say there's not a one hundred percent confirmed causation. And they're they're doing that because they're doctors, they're experts. They don't want to say something is confirmed unless they're one hundred percent sure. So we can we can note that. But while we're noting that entirely to be fair, that's from the experts, we also have to note gleo blastoma is incredibly rare. It's it's it's not like it's not like diabetes or something or some other widespread condition.
Speaker 4: No, And it's something we've talked about in the past too, with these kinds of class action lawsuits, you know, even about you know, the Dark Waters scenario, you know, with the stuff that's on the nonstick pans. It is difficult to proof unequivocally that any of these kinds of substances are one hundred percent responsible for someone's cancer because there are so many other factors to take into consideration.
Speaker 3: You know, yes, but discloblastoma stuff, it has an incidents or a frequency rate of only three point two one per one hundred thousand people.
Speaker 4: Like, so, is does that help the case or hurt the case? I think it helps. It helps the case, yes, exactly, because you know, if it was a more general cancer that was more widely contracted, that would be more of a needle in the haystack kind of situation. Because this is such a narrowed focus, you know, in terms of like what the what the fallout might have been, you know, the consequences. Rather then it's a little easier to suggest causation.
Speaker 3: Right, yeah, yeah, just so, Like I mean, it'd be different if everybody was dying of some disease called like baseball at hand, you know what I mean, Like that would be kind of easy trace. But here you can see there's a lot of coincidence. Right. As a matter of fact, I think we're being quite diplomatic and deferring to the experts when we say this is not one hundred percent proven, but the stuff we're getting into next will probably affect the way you think about playgrounds in your neighborhood.
Speaker 2: Oh for sure. I just want to make the point I this is an estimate, but there are around twelve one hundred Major League Baseball players at any given time. Okay, twelve hundred. How many people live in the United States.
Speaker 3: Guys, more than year and thirty million. Yeah, hmmm, very small sample set, right, And that group of twelve hundred people, they do a lot of the same stuff. They do some things that normal people don't do because of their job, right, Like who's who's most likely to have a space related injury? Astronauts? You know what I mean. That's like who's most likely to encounter the dangerous effects of synthetic turf? The people who are around it the most often, you know. And so all of this turf, this is the part where we have to introduce another recurring villain on the show. All of this turf is made with pfas per and polyfloral aalkal substances, forever chemicals, forever chemicals.
Speaker 2: SHY twelve or fourteen.
Speaker 3: Diamond why by a diamond, get her something that'll last. Get her pfas exactly I'm getting. She already has it.
Speaker 2: It's already just like yours.
Speaker 3: Uh yeah. Some of these turfs are still made with recycled tires, which means they contain all all the nasty stuff that is bad for you but great for a long lasting tire. And as a result of growing number communities and even states in the US have banned these specific types of turf or said hey, we should think about banning these, and even the testing of multiple artificial fields, the newer ones, the older ones, across the board, they found that they're still a pretty high and dangerous presence of pfas compounds, no matter which one you look into and shout out to the Enquirer again over in Philly.
Speaker 2: And just one thing I want to point out here. We talked about how the EPA in two thousand and nine took a look at this artificial turf and said, hey, guys, all those concentrations of those things you're worried about, they're way below what we would call levels of concern, so we're good to go on the turf. There was a watchdog nonprofit called Public employees for environmental responsibility, And right after the EPA released those findings in two thousand and nine, they said, hey, guys, you haven't thought about the temperature.
Speaker 4: It's a good point. I mean, listen, look, we let's just say that. We don't want to besmirch the good name of the EPA, but it does seem like sometimes these these allowable levels, these tolerances that end up becoming codified by them, are just convenient enough for big business. Just putting that out there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, like, hey, we can't keep all the rat poop out of cereal? What's a reasonable amount? That's still one of my favorite things. And this is, you know, again not to denigrate the EPA. The individuals working there are brilliant people who are doing their best. We're talking about a systemic problem with corruption in the EPA, that's right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the ones that are the regulators that are actually you know, the researchers, the regulators, the folks that are working there day to day, not the folks that were thumbing our noses at a little bit. It's the higher ups. It's the folks that like create past the laws that ultimately kind of stemy the EPA from actually doing important work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but guys, I'm so sorry to just keep going back at this, but the the artificial turf testing the EPA did was so underwhelming. Let's say, because we're talking about these forever chemicals that exist in these grasses right in these fibers, and then you've got the sun that's beating down on them all day if you're not inside an astrodome, and when that sun hits these artificial chemicals, gets surface temperatures of up to one hundred and fifty degrees fahrenheit, which means you've got plastics and these carbons that are just getting superheated.
Speaker 4: Being released right into the air. I would imagine, well, yeah.
Speaker 2: And then you've got players running around on them with cleats.
Speaker 4: Nothing's gonna diving, right, Yeah, So they're they're they're roughing them up with their cleats. They're already in a state of kind of heated, you know, let's just say they're being almost what's the word I'm looking for activated, right, and then they're getting roughed up with these cleats. People are diving into them face first. I'm sure this stuff has I mean, even just the layman like us would be like what's the deal with that? Why aren't they testing for these situations?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and add to that, the EPA recently revised its health advisory for at least one of these things, PFOS per fluorooctane sulfonic acid, and they said, huh okay, we looked back into it, and no level of exposure to this stuff is safe, at least in drinking water. Zero percent is good. And one of the reasons we keep shouting out the Inquirer over in Philly is because they obtained pieces of the Phillies artificial turf and they took it to not one, but two labs and found it contained sixteen types of pfas or pfas, including the stuff that the EPA said should absolutely not be around.
Speaker 4: Am I the only one that when we talk about PFA is I think of pf Chang's just putting that out there.
Speaker 3: I think, Okay, well, was it close to lunchtime, as let's take a you know what, let's take a snack break, snack with us. Folks will be right back and get into probably the most disturbing part of this tale. We've returned. So this is a bit like forensic work. Again. We can't prove exposure cause these cancers, but we can place the victims in direct, repeated contact with substances that are proven to cause these conditions. Pfas bad news. Corporations spend a lot of time and effort matrix dodging this issue in the past and in the present day. These forever chemicals, they don't break down. They're around, and they cannot wait to help you get cancer, birth defects, liver problems, kidney disease. They're waiting for you, and they get inside you pretty easily. It's not vampire rules. You don't have to invite them in. They can be inhaled, ingested. They can be absorbed through the skin, especially through a scrape or an open wound, say on a baseball field or a soccer field, or to playgrounds.
Speaker 2: Dude, did you see the NBC reporting from twenty fourteen about artificial turf and soccer players, specifically goalies who were constantly, you know, jumping right and landing on the ground as they're attempting to stop balls from getting in the goal. The oh my god, you guys. So many young female players ended up getting types of leukemia, types of cancers, and there were so many goalies. You got to check out the reporting out of NBC from twenty fourteen if you haven't read that yet, it's called how safe is the artificial turf your child plays on?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and again these headlines are speaking volumes. Right. The Phillies played on this turf between nineteen seventy one to two thousand and three. The six people who died died in their forties or their fifties. Additionally, globlastoma. The median age for that is sixty four, so they're dying at about three times the rate of the adult male general population. Medical experts will acknowledge the pieces are all there, but they stopped short of a full confirmation. They say, you know, and this is fair. They say. Other factors may have played. Lifestyle choices, right, temperature, concussions, things like that. But long story short, doesn't look good, doesn't stop in Philly is super popular for a long time. There needs to be a lot more research. Recommendations include things like hiring epidemiologists, let's get some statisticians in there, or maybe, hey, we should start a registry of players along with their causes of death. And the fact that there's not something like that already is pretty weird. It reminds me of the time we learned that the FBI just doesn't bother keeping a list of people who disappear in national parks.
Speaker 4: I have a question. We talked about this briefly, I think on the Strange News segment, But like, you know, when someone dies of lung cancer and they were a smoker, they can you know, the determination could be made that smoking may have been a contributing factor, but you can't exactly say, yes, smoking is definitely what killed this person.
Speaker 3: It would be tough. It would be tough because that person, unless they were in a controlled environment for the entirety of their life, they would inevitably run into other things that could be carcinogetic at some point, especially in the US, if they drove a.
Speaker 2: Car outside him.
Speaker 4: Well, and again, like we we have this research, but we don't know exactly how much exposure is too much? Is one time too much?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 4: Is it ten times? Is it one season, one year of relatively regular exposure. They don't have those answers. Nobody does, to my understanding, at least, I just wanted to see if that's how y'all saw it as well.
Speaker 3: Well. I am curious there might be a group that low key does have the answers. We have to talk about the implications hashtag. No, Dennis Reynolds didn't always going to show up so much of the show, but hashtag not that kind of implication. So the turf was made from old tires solve a pre existing problem the tires from one place to another, doesn't solve the original problem with the tires. It just sort of kicks it into another neighborhood. And we found a group that we wanted to talk about a little bit today called the Synthetic Turf Council. They are the biggest trade group representing AstroTurf, synthetic turf in general. And there is a lobbyists, right yeah, or trade association, industry group, whatever phrase you want to hang it on.
Speaker 2: They're they're advocates.
Speaker 3: They're the turf Gang, the turf Boys.
Speaker 4: Yeah, turf Gang. I like that.
Speaker 3: So Turf Gang is in this intense rivalry between proponents of natural grass and these applications, and you you can go to their website right now, we got under the hood. I'm very curious. I want to be fully transparent here. I'm very curious what they're members only information is because they have a free public facing side of the site, and then for like a little less than one hundred bucks, they'll give you the you know, they'll give you the fresh fresh scoop.
Speaker 2: I'm going I'm molling, let's go. Yeah, I might hang out with Larry Ridgeway the VC over there. What's up? What's up, Larry, We're gonna hang on your members only area.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Do they have a Patreon anyway? So the STC Synthetic Turf Council has a lot of information on their public side of the site. You can see cool cross sections of how modern synthetic turf is made. You can read reports about their their teams answering basic questions. You can find a couple of statistics, but you won't find on the public side of the site much research about the possible health dangers of astro turf.
Speaker 2: No, it's not in their interest to talk about any of that stuff.
Speaker 4: In their purview, we're here to to flag wave and then we're the boosters for this stuff. Let's he no attention to all of that data.
Speaker 2: Well, but but look like really on the surface, the synthetic surface, guys like that person Larry that I mentioned, And Larry, I'm sorry for calling you out. You're just your face and name is on the front of the about page.
Speaker 3: I thought you were going to say your face and name offend me.
Speaker 2: No, not at all. I'm sure Larry's an awesome person. It's just Larry is the president and CEO of a couple of companies. One is called Precision Jet, one's called turf Bond. Precision Jet started back in two thousand and one, and what they do is they create the graphics that go on top of synthetic fields. Right, so if you've got a football team or whatever, they'll they'll get that going for you. Yeah, and they develop technology back in two thousand and one to do this kind of stuff and to make precision cutting. I believe they use I think it's water and like sand or something that he uses us. No, but he also works with turf Bond, which is the big artificial turf adhesive that exists out there. And why would you know a group that runs companies like that that are all based on the business of artificial turf Ever want anybody to hear about the potentially bad things that this stuff can cause.
Speaker 3: Yeah, another way to think about it. You go to like you go to like the Domino's Pizza website, You're not going to see a warning right on the front page of the website about how too much pizza is bad.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Man, you know they're not gonna pump your brakes once you got to the website and.
Speaker 2: Nobody out pizza is the hut? I mean, come on, well, true.
Speaker 3: Little Caesars has entered the chat. They're making crazy bread. Oh my god.
Speaker 4: All right, so no worried was always worth it?
Speaker 3: Always Okay, well maybe this will be worth it. We know we're going a little long today, but we wanted to bring this story to bear one to give it more attention. Again, not one hundred percent proven, but there's one last part that stuck with me, and I think it stuck with all of us, and probably stuck with some of us listening along at home with all the news about cancer coming from artificial turf that was made from reused and scrapped tires. What should we think about the tires currently in use, the tires on your car, the tires on your bike, the tires on the countless vehicles rolling all across your community today. Just like a baseball player sliding on turf. Those tires are sliding on asphalt, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, didn't we do? Oh man, there's something pinging here, Ben. We talked about a new type of tire that was completely different. It was not based on rubber like that. It was I think it was stuff for genius. Maybe it was stuff of the future, but it was a tire that just I've got an image in my mind.
Speaker 3: It's like a po's like segmented.
Speaker 2: Yes, and it wasn't made of the same substances.
Speaker 3: There are a couple of different things like that. Segment and tires would be one. I guess we could all get tank tracks on our vehicles, right and just be prepared to go a little slower. But how do you change that whole industry? Well as something you would mentioned too, like.
Speaker 4: How well tires are made of what petroleum? You know? I mean, it's all part of the same supply chain, that legacy supply chain that it does not behoove you know, the old guard to support changing.
Speaker 3: It's not even an old guard question. What I'm getting as the entirety of like you're right about the petroleum, the enormity of change, the costs that would have to occur ripping up all the artificial turf all across the United States. Even if it's a thing that should be done, it's going to be difficult to do it. And it's not if this exposure stuff is true, it's not going to undo the consequences from the past decades. It's just gonna hopefully prevent further consequences. I don't know, and you know, it's not like turf is the only origin point of this stuff, but it makes you think. I'm here in tires outside of where I record right now, I'm gonna take a walk after this. I got to go get some lunch.
Speaker 4: I don't know, man, you go to PF Changs.
Speaker 3: I don't know. But now we don't have a PF change. It's convenient, guys, lucky you.
Speaker 4: We can go to the airport.
Speaker 3: We can go to the airport that the.
Speaker 4: PF changs at the airport serves breakfast. That's like a non PF Chang thing, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: That's just for you, Heartsfeld, and we want to end this episode asking how far does this go? Folks would love to hear your take on the issue, the implications, and we'd love to hear other examples of seemingly innocuous things with a dangerous, potentially fatal dark side, Or have you found research that totally disproves these concerns about turf? Honestly, if that's the case, would love to read it. Make I think everybody feel a little bit better.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you can send it to us and through several means on the internet. You can find us at Conspiracy Stuff on Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube, Conspiracy Stuff show on Instagram and TikTok.
Speaker 2: Hey, do you like to call people and talk to them on your phone? We'll call us. Talk to us call one eight three three STDWYTK. It's a voicemail system. Leave a message. You've got three minutes. Please give yourself a cool nickname and let us know if we can use your voice and message on the air. If you've got more to say than can fit in that three minutes, why not instead send us a good old fashioned email.
Speaker 3: We are conspiracy at iHeartRadio dot com.
Speaker 2: Stuff they Don't Want you to Know is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.