Speaker 1: And that's what you really missed with Jenna.
Speaker 2: And Kevin an iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 1: Welcome to you, and that's what you really missed.
Speaker 3: A special episode, an overview of season one and some of our favorite some superlatives, and some reflections.
Speaker 2: I'm jo I'm Kevin. This is our bonus Jonas episode for season one.
Speaker 1: Wooooooooo.
Speaker 2: Because season one was we'd almost did one hundred songs, twenty two episodes. It took us from when we did the pilot to the last episode almost like a year and a half to film. It was a lot of our lives, a lot of time, and we went from you know, being green, having not done much television before, to being in households around the world and like going to the White House and like wild, wild things happened in the span of the first season of Glee. But we put it to you guys online. We asked you your favorite songs, your episodes, favorite couples, and thoughts. We also did made some lists ourselves. So let's go through it.
Speaker 3: Jenna, Yeah, okay, Yeah, let's do it. Thanks to everybody who wrote in and shared some of your favorites. Okay, so you want to start. Should we start with the best song the topes?
Speaker 2: Should we with the fan favorites with Yeah, fans voted for this song list was not what I expected. Definitely not, and it shows me that these are hardcore fans and I respect it because it wasn't the you know, the biggest hits that sales wise. These are some dedicated folks and I appreciate it. Let's go from five to one.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, so we Number five fan favorite was Roses Turn sung by Kurt.
Speaker 1: Totally agree. Yeah, really, well, yeah.
Speaker 2: I just because I think I assumed, you know, the biggest hits of the season would be up there. Roses Turn was not necessarily one of the biggest hits, but I think story wise and character like, it was right. I love that it was up there.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's pretty epic for Kurt.
Speaker 3: It's his like first big number like that, Like he's sang a lot, but this was like, I mean, he had a sign, a glow up sign.
Speaker 2: What do you call it?
Speaker 1: A light up? A light up sign? Thank you?
Speaker 2: He also did have a glow up but yes, yes, totally it's separate. Number four blows my mind.
Speaker 3: Okay, I we have to talk about this because I feel like.
Speaker 1: People were joking, what is this okay? Okay?
Speaker 2: Number four okay is run Joey run? No, I refuse, and I have to say, I get it. This isn't a number I put on to like jam two in the car. But how is done in the episode is phenomenon? No notes, I think it's absolutely incredible.
Speaker 1: Wait what say that again?
Speaker 2: How it was actually done in the episode. Yeah, I think it's so good. Run Joy, Run, Yes, you disagree, hate it? That was comedy. That was beautiful.
Speaker 1: I mean Elitie did the best she could with it.
Speaker 2: Rachel out of her mind, like using these three different guys to be like, I think it was brilliant. I think the song is garbage, but I think that's a performance.
Speaker 3: So no, no, the performance was great. You can't deny that, But the actual like, I can't, I can't separate the two.
Speaker 2: We didn't specify favorite performance in their favorite song. So I feel like, you know, some of this is going to be, you know, a season two recap. Maybe we can, you know, specify these things a bit more. But I get it. Run Joy Run. I think exquisite, fair enough, fair enough?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 2: So number three number three.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yes, Jesse's girl.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 1: Obviously.
Speaker 2: I mean, I also I can't really listen to the song because I'll burst into tears.
Speaker 3: But well, I think that this the sentiment of the song, the feeling, the performance, the whole thing is the storyline.
Speaker 1: You know, it's all driven and it's all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the suspins theme song.
Speaker 1: Yeah it's perfect.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's perfect. Okay, what were you going to say?
Speaker 2: No, Number two makes a lot of sense. Number two is Journey, Don't Stop Believing. Sure you know so. And I'm assuming it's a pilot version. I get it, and I respect that it's not number one.
Speaker 1: I have to agree, I have to agree.
Speaker 3: I also have to respect number one.
Speaker 2: I was surprised I had made my list and then I looked at this list and I just want to say that I was proud of all of you who listened to this and participate in this, because I think you did a better job than me. This is variety, agreed, every genre here.
Speaker 3: I felt, Yeah, I felt proud of you guys, because I didn't look either, and I was like, I missed these I missed this one.
Speaker 2: This one did come into my mind, and it is absolutely like it's probably like top seven for me, but number one is.
Speaker 3: That The Boy Is Nude by Satana Mercedes.
Speaker 2: I mean respect, There is a great performance, it's a great vocal, there's a great impression of Monica. There's a great story behind the song of how it happened in the first place. And also it's our first time really getting to hear Nya sing a full song, right.
Speaker 1: And a really good impression. Yeah, so good.
Speaker 2: Yes, I think in a lot of ways. You know how Heather created this brittany Ish character and Ryan saw it and made Brittany, you know, one of the biggest characters on the show. I think by seeing her like comedic genius behind the scenes. I think Nia doing this impression and Ryan seeing it led to him and everybody else, the other writers and all of us seeing her potential of like star power. For sure, she is at everything. Oh yeah, and it was like the birth of something great. And you couldn't put that back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can't take that back.
Speaker 3: And like how everybody responded to it, obviously, look at this. Okay, those are great, you guys, those are really really good and really interesting.
Speaker 2: What did you pick for best songs?
Speaker 1: I did my top five?
Speaker 2: Okay, how you did it if you did top five?
Speaker 3: Okay, so actually I did top I did four for song. My top four were Faithfully and I'm telling you Jesse's Girl and Somebody to Love.
Speaker 2: That's a great top four and we overlap. If you had to pick a fifth, what would it be.
Speaker 1: I mean, don't stop even probably yeah, which version the first one?
Speaker 2: You know what's funny? And we didn't talk about this in the recap of the episode, but the Journey to Regional's version where we all sort of sing is the version that got nominated for a Grammy. Like we were nominated for a Grammy sitting sixth row at the Grammys and everyone who sang on it would have gotten a Grammy. And I remember we were nominated against Train and the lead Yeah, and he'd like, oh, you guys are gonna win, And we were like, no, we shouldn't be here, like we told we've bambulls, like the Grammy Academy, like why are we here? We're a cover band, Like a cover song is not going to win for Best like Pop Vocal Performance.
Speaker 1: Well that's what we always said.
Speaker 3: We always said, like we're undeserving in some way because like we didn't create these songs you know, we didn't, and.
Speaker 2: Then train one for Hey Soul Sister as they should have, which, hey, we still got the nomination. We have the little metal.
Speaker 1: We went to Grammy's and met Beyonce in the bathroom.
Speaker 2: That's right, So thank you Grammy Academy. Oh yeah, thank you Recording Academy. That's what it is. Okay, tell me, so I had my number five was one less bell.
Speaker 1: I knew that was going on there for you, but.
Speaker 2: Okay, I had it sort of tied. There's like a number six in its rehab because I just have a soft spot for that. That's more the performance as opposed to the version of the song. I think the version is very good, but that performance was the epitome of like what the show could do. At that time, I.
Speaker 1: Was gonna I was gonna put Bohemian Rhapsody online.
Speaker 2: Same, it was one of the I just needed one of them to make it. Yeah, number four lean on me just because.
Speaker 1: You throw. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I loved that one. I did. Don't random my parade, Oh wow, yeah, because I think that's I think that number also like means a lot to the show we did on tour a lot totally, and I think.
Speaker 1: Obviously cull circle.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Number two Faithfully, yay h yay. I'm glad that I'm glad that we both like that one so much. Do you think had we done this before we watched this season again, this list would have been the same.
Speaker 3: Now even a little a little bit different. I think like rewatching Faithfully was the reason why.
Speaker 2: I was like, oh, this is so good, totally same.
Speaker 1: Like like like a prayer too.
Speaker 2: I was like, like a almost ended up on this list. We too was on it, and I take it off because the list was too long. And the number one I have somebody to.
Speaker 1: Love, our number once are the same.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course they are.
Speaker 3: That's funny. I didn't think that would be your number one. That's really funny.
Speaker 2: I think I'm just a little sucker for like sentimentally.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it means a lot to us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, let's get into best episodes. Fan voted top five and again there's some surprises. Number five is a surprise to.
Speaker 3: Me, okay, I you know, thinking about it after I saw this, I was like, oh, yeah, it's.
Speaker 1: Alfonso's first one. There's a big group number at the end.
Speaker 3: It's emotionally driven, character driven with zach In it like it gives Rachel some grounding, Like I get it.
Speaker 1: I get it. It's not one of my on my lists, but.
Speaker 2: I get it totally.
Speaker 1: I totally get it.
Speaker 3: So number five is obviously laryngitis.
Speaker 2: Yes, interesting. Number four is the pilot. Number four a little load to me.
Speaker 1: Agreed, agreed.
Speaker 3: Number three was theatricality, which I definitely agree within the time.
Speaker 1: It's definitely in the top three. I should be, should be power of.
Speaker 3: Obviously the costumes. The storyline. Again, it's like the storyline was driven. It was very good with like bullying and all about Finn standing up for people.
Speaker 1: It was great. Yeah, number two, Madama. You know it's funny because before.
Speaker 3: Ryan came on for the second time, before I rewatched it, I didn't. I don't know, it didn't click with me as like the turning point of the show, like Ryan explained it. I agree with him now and I totally see it, But I don't know that I saw that way in my memory until he came on and did it, and I so I wouldn't. It wouldn't have been on my list previous to watching all of it. But now I get it.
Speaker 2: I feel the exact same way I watching it, I had just a blast. I had a great time, and I did not remember like you said that was a turning point or that.
Speaker 3: We like.
Speaker 2: I remember we liked it when we filmed it, but didn't realize what it meant to the show in terms of like the long lasting effects it would have. Number one, which makes sense, Journey to Regionals the season one finale.
Speaker 3: Really good, obviously, really excellent, very flux at the heart strings.
Speaker 1: Yeah, good tie up. You know we're coming back. I'm pretty Mine was pretty close to this, so what is it?
Speaker 3: Mine was? Number three was theatricality. Number two was Journey to Regils, and number one.
Speaker 1: Was a pilot.
Speaker 2: Oh damn, look at that and sync with the people.
Speaker 1: In SYCN with you what about yourrs?
Speaker 2: Pretty close? Mine? Number one was a pilot. Number two was Power of Madonna. Number three was Journey to Regionals. Okay, And then like I did with the songs, I threw in their one for us wheels.
Speaker 3: Mine was on my wheels, was on my lips, and I dig it up because I was like, wow, I don't do that, Jenna.
Speaker 2: No Wheels is a good episode, Jenna, Okay, that was on my lips. Our first episode Paris, and it was big for us.
Speaker 1: Lots of screeners of it, people loved it.
Speaker 2: And number five, I know this is cheating, I did it again, but I have like I have throw Down and Roads not taken.
Speaker 1: I had throw Down on mine too.
Speaker 2: Really, yes, maybe it's throw Down then, but also roads just mean, like I know how that time just felt. I can't think about that episode and not think about like meeting Chris and Chenna Witz for the first time and working with her and all. But throw Down also makes me laugh, probably harder than any other.
Speaker 3: Episodekirkdown is very burned into my memory. Yeah, very good, very very good. Okay, let's get to the best couple everybody voted.
Speaker 2: I know it's early, it's only the first season, and a lot more couples happened after this. I only got to top three for this.
Speaker 1: I only picked one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think, which is fair. But the I mean, the thing to take away from this list from you guys, the listeners is that Rachel was really just dating everyone.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's right.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, and like Ian said, like they kind of blew their load, so they kind of had to like very early on, if you will.
Speaker 1: Sorry about the reference.
Speaker 3: But like they definitely weren't saving anything, and they were like, oh no, no, to be fine, and he was like he was, you know, they were totally wrong in that aspect of things. But yes, Rachel did date everybody, and most of these include.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so number five is Rachel and Jesse.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Number four is Puck and Rachel, which I have to say grew on me. When it first happened, I was like, absolutely not. But then when they revisit a gam like, oh.
Speaker 3: Obviously you like run, Jenny run, So I mean I love it. Number three was Quinn and Puck.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, they had cute moments.
Speaker 1: Number two with Tina and Arty.
Speaker 2: That's just because we put up the questions and whatever. I'll take it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, same.
Speaker 3: And number one was Finn and Rachel obviously, and my.
Speaker 1: Pick was Fin and Rachel.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my number one is Finn and Rachel. My number two was asked Tina and Artie, but everyone forgot Burt and Carroll. Now you listen here. I get that it may not be the first thing that comes to mind, but Bert and Carol are so good and so pure, and they deserve the world and they provide that for each other. They are two incredible parents and together make the ultimate parents. They could be my number one.
Speaker 1: But you know, I know, I can't believe I missed that.
Speaker 2: You're so right, everybody missed it.
Speaker 1: I can't believe they didn't rank.
Speaker 2: I'm just obsessed with him, and so you know, we love Burt and Carol. We also asked everyone you know general thoughts on season one, and there were some pretty good drags on here. Someone said it's not the worst.
Speaker 1: I you know what, I like this one. It's positive. Somebody said it's hard to top.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there were a lot of iconics in here. Someone said not the best, but my comfort season for sure, which makes me excited because and a couple people said it's their third or second favorite season. That makes me excited too. Like we've said a billion times, the first season is so ingrained in our heads that as it gets on gets a little blurrier, and so you know, I'm excited for season two. A lot of people said they're excited for season two.
Speaker 1: Somebody said it was really chaotic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, someone said a literal fever.
Speaker 1: Dream love that one. Somebody said a masterpiece.
Speaker 2: Someone wrote solid, but want more Santana and more Santana is what we get because it's what we deserve.
Speaker 1: It is what we get.
Speaker 3: Somebody said, great, but Glea's Glee's most basic season, which is correct.
Speaker 1: I don't know if that's a good thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, pop culture defining m A lot of people said camp or way campier than they remember.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, which I think the satire thing in their heads had said. Some people said, because I know it's a sattire now it made it even better.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not the best, not the worst.
Speaker 2: A lot of people keep saying, I guess we're scrolling through these that the second season is the best.
Speaker 1: So I've never worked cut out for us.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm very excited.
Speaker 1: I'm excited.
Speaker 3: What what are your overall thoughts, Kevin?
Speaker 2: I think I mean, in my head, it's my favorite season. I think we see all these characters or most of the characters come to life a bit, and for us personally, it was life changing. I think probably in our personal life, this was the most we changed within a single season. And maybe that's why we have all the you know, the nostalgia attached to it and all these memories attached to it, because we can remember with such specificity where we were when things were happening. And storylines were happening, right. We also, you know, we got to work with so many great directors for the first time, right, and we part in terms of like what the crew and the production of it we're doing. We had to figure out the system for how we were actually going to shoot this damp show, right, And we figured out all those things, and the art department was uping their game every single episode and it was just the most memorable, I think for us because of all of those things. It was a season of firsts. And I don't think I can uncouple, you know, the personal life from the professional and this one totally, like there's no separation. And I think a lot of what the Glee Club was going through and this season and second season mirror a lot what we were going through in real life, not necessarily because they were doing that on purpose, but just because you have a bunch of a random group of kids thrown together who are nerdy and love the arts and love doing this and getting to play dress up and on the show you have the same thing, and you know, they become a tight unit and they become sort of successful. They're sort of figuring out what they're doing, and by the end of season two, they become successful, right, and it very much mirrored us and you know through some of Will's speeches Akay brad Falchuk speaking to us through Will, you know, it was sentimental and nice to be reminded of what was going on and how special it was. What about you?
Speaker 3: In my memory, it's my favorite app is my favorite season yet to be challenged. Like you said, I to echo you, I think it was a season of first press. So it the nostalgia and the emotional attachment I have to the season is hard to separate. It was also like the most defining, so I think, because it was the most defining in our personal lives and our work lives, in our relationships with each other, in our relationship with the fans and the show and the creators.
Speaker 1: That to me was like.
Speaker 3: It's the defining season, which makes it so memorable and makes it so like rock solid in my brain and heart and body. Like you, we've seen all the guests that we've had over the past season, you know of this podcast, and the fondness that they feel for the first season, the fondness they feel for the building of the foundation that we have that will take us through the rest so that I think those are my biggest reflections on it. And I'm just I'm really excited to watch season two. We only really made it through a couple of episodes when we did this last time, and I'm really excited about it. Yeah, I have no idea what's in the store. There's so many characters, so many storylines, and our characters grow so much. Yeah, so I'm excited to see what was going on in our minds, what was going on in the world, like the memory jogged down memory lane, Like this was so much fun to look at with these like fresh new perspective.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And I think the two like joys that come from doing this are one getting to you know, speak to our coworkers and fans of the show and like see what it meant to them and their perspective of it. And the other one that Jenna and I have, like, you know, been texting each other about everything watch an episode is like you just said, the memories that are jogged while we're watching it, because you forget without the visual representation right in front of you, all of a sudden, all these memories come flooding back from some random scene or a random line or random shot or prop they jog something, and that has been just like the most joyful and eye opening experience thus far. And I think because we remember season one so well that those memories also are more easily called up without having to watch an episode that going forward to season two, I think it's all going to come flooding back and we're getting slapped across the face with nostalgia and memories.
Speaker 1: I'm ready.
Speaker 2: I'm ready too well.
Speaker 1: I hope you guys enjoyed this.
Speaker 3: Little overview, and if you did, we'll do it again for season two. I can't believe we're already season two and we're doing an overview of twenty two episodes.
Speaker 1: That's crazy.
Speaker 2: We got through I think like ninety five songs or something in season one, something like that. So let's see where we are after season two. You can also go on Spotify and there are you can just listen to all the season one music.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, So.
Speaker 2: As we go into season two, also write in let us know what other lists we should make for the end of season two, and we can put those out and hear from all of you, because that's so much fun, so much fun. Who cares about our list? I want to hear from you.
Speaker 1: No, this was eye opening and I love it.
Speaker 2: When Joey run was top five, that is crazy and I love it.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, we love you guys, and we'll see you next week.
Speaker 1: For season two.
Speaker 2: Thanks for joining us for a little bonus episode and That's what you Really missed, Bie. Thanks for listening and follow us on Instagram at and That's what you Really miss pod and make sure to write us a review and leave us five stars. See you next time.