Speaker 1: Morning, everybody.
Speaker 2: It's DJ Envy, Charlemagne the guy. We are the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 3: We got our Nyla hanging with us this morning.
Speaker 2: Yes, and we have a special guest who Charlemagne claims as a family. And we say this all the time because when we announced that your album came out, he didn't even know your album came out.
Speaker 3: And I forced him not true, but.
Speaker 1: That's not true. And we played the song.
Speaker 4: I played the Missy record and Chris Brown record that morning, but I had.
Speaker 3: To make him download the recless. He didn't even know.
Speaker 1: That's not true.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Now, that's right. You said you bought it, right, We don't download, but you said you bought it. Listen in pieces is out right now? Okay? Did you buy it all right?
Speaker 4: Did all your people's online complaining making noise by it?
Speaker 3: I streamed it?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 5: I feel great. I'm so happy. Like the past two days, I've been feeling like great, to be honest, the week and a half, like before, it was like a little rocky, but tour kind of been getting me out the funk because the shows have been amazing. They've all been sold out and everyone's singing every lyric to every song. So I'm like, the love is real and real life. So I've been feeling good.
Speaker 1: Why were you in a funk? I know you wasn't letting these digital dickheads on the internet GA.
Speaker 5: I mean like you're like, we're all human, so of course some things are going to bother you. And I think when you put so much time and effort into the art of everything, and it's really a conceptual album. My executive produced it. I produced on twelve out of the fourteen songs on there. I had a lot of incredible, like amazing talent on the project. So I was just like, it's okay, come at me, bro, So I'm ready for what's next, to be honest.
Speaker 1: What's the title mean? In Pieces?
Speaker 5: Yes, So in Pieces it's kind of like a double entendre. So in Pieces represents the pieces of my heart that has been left broken from live situations, relationships, things like that people seven you in the back. And then it also means what's left in Pieces is the box that people try to put me in on who they think Chloe is, and you know, I just have to speak for myself and break through it. So that's what it means. It's like the simp side and then the place of powers.
Speaker 2: It has to be difficult, yeah, because people who seen you grow up, so it's like we've seen you as this young girl, so now when you break it out into your own, it has to be difficult for your fans.
Speaker 5: I guess right, I mean maybe maybe not. I'm really proud of my sister and I because we've been branching out on our own successfully and people are getting to like know who we are individually. And I'm so blessed that I grew up with her in life so we could go through everything together, and it came to a point where we were so dependent on one another, like we were Siamese twins. So what forced us apart was her going to London to shoot Little Mermaid and you know, me being in la and especially with the pandemic the travel restrictions going to another country was crazy. So as stressful as it was for the both of us, we both had separation anxiety. It like forced us to figure out, Okay, who's Chloe, who's Hollie. So now when we come back together, it's going to be even stronger because now we also have a great sense.
Speaker 6: Of I like that she said that the love is real in real life.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and I know, like online you put like a lot of the ugly comments that people say about you online, and one of your performance piece.
Speaker 6: Is that for every show, or that that's.
Speaker 5: For every show. The idea popped in my head like thirty minutes before the first opening show in Chicago, and I was just like, it's over the interlude of I'm Not Worried. It's like an a cappella arrangement of me singing it, and I was like, you know what, I'm gonna put that there because I'm not really worried about what people have to say. You know, it's just another notch on my belt.
Speaker 4: So did y'all recognize the growth in each other? You and Holly, Like, when y'all finally did get back together, did she see growth in you?
Speaker 1: Did you see growl friend?
Speaker 5: Yes, the crazy thing is growing up. It was me who was afraid to speak up, so like she would be the one speaking up for me, and like she's the aries. Yes, she's the like don't mess with her, and it would always be me like, oh my gosh, I like I don't like confrontation things like that. And so because of that. I had to force myself to speak up for myself because I didn't have my sister right there doing it for me. So now I'm very independent and very vocal and I say what I mean and I mean what I say, and she's recognized that. She's like, well, you're like a completely different person. I'm so proud of her because she's confident in who she is as an individual as well. Like we both were missing that and now we both found it.
Speaker 4: So it's like we're stronger, be dangerous though, because you are cancer, you know, saying, so you be in your shell, but boy when you come out that shell.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I wass.
Speaker 2: Did that change because you missed your sister? Was it a relationship that made you change? It was writ in your music that made you change?
Speaker 3: What was that change?
Speaker 5: That's a great question. I think it was a combination of everything. I think it got to a point where I realized, if I don't fight for myself, then I'm just gonna be left in the dust. And if I don't speak up for what I want and speak up for who I am as a human being, then like it's just going to fall on deaf ears and clothes mouths don't get fed. So you know, throughout the music, I was finding my strength because I was saying things that I was afraid to say or speak up to certain individuals. And then from there it just grew. From that, it was like it just kept growing and growing and now it can't really stop.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I feel like growing up as women were taught to like not be so vocal.
Speaker 7: So now that you are being vocal, do you feel like you're being a bitch or like, do you feel like like you have to turn on a new version of yourself?
Speaker 5: Absolutely not. There's it's not about what you say but how you say it. You can command a room without having to bark so loud, and as long as you believe in what you're saying and you don't change in that for anybody, people will respect you because at a certain point they know they can't ignore it.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: Yeh was pray Away based on a true story, Oh Nigga from Nigga.
Speaker 5: Yes, So I wrote that song with my girl Jossy, and I kept seeing her like three four times that week at every event, And I'm all about signs, Like I I don't feel there are any coincidences in life and I was like, so the final place I saw her sign that you're crazy, but I was like okay. So we passed each other going to the ladies room at the studio and I was like, I got back in my session. I said wait, So I texted her. I was like, can you come in here? And she played me a few demos and it was the skeleton of Pray It Away. It was originally called Church, and I was like, I'm in love with this because I loved how open it was. It was completely raw and honest, and for me, I've always learned to just be the bigger person and turn the other cheek. And it's like sometimes you do want to get down and dirty and get on that person same level, but I will never give anyone that power over me. So it's like, you know, I'm gonna pray it away. So it was quite easy to finish out the song because there has been people who have tried me and I love it. I really did.
Speaker 4: When the last time you really wanted a person hurt, because that's what the song, That's what the song is about.
Speaker 1: You want a person hurt, but didn't having to pray it away.
Speaker 5: You know, I think I've been growing. I think the last time I felt like I wanted somebody to hurt maybe five days ago.
Speaker 1: Yeah, five days?
Speaker 5: How long? Yeah?
Speaker 3: What was the situation?
Speaker 5: What was the situation? There are several Jesus. Yeah, but I prayed away hurt though you.
Speaker 6: Don't really mean hurt. You just mean like you want them to feel how you feel.
Speaker 5: Yes, like, But the thing is, we never have to do the work like karma speaks for itself, you know. So never give someone power to get you out of your characters.
Speaker 7: And you've never been like or you don't believe in like Spike, like I gotta get my get back.
Speaker 5: I don't because I don't want it to come back to me in turn. So I just let them dig themselves in a ditch.
Speaker 1: You know. Wait a minute, Wait a minute.
Speaker 4: There's a record on the album that pisses me off, and it's opposite cheat Back.
Speaker 1: Pissed me off.
Speaker 5: So why is it? Why does it piss you off?
Speaker 7: That's cruel standard that okay, So let me ask you this.
Speaker 5: Okay, I'm just I'm gonna swap the rolls, so say not. This is hypothetically speaking an alternate universe. You're with someone, She continues, to cheat time and time again because you love her so much and she keeps saying she's going to change. You stay. But at a certain point, aren't you gonna want to get something back so you don't feel like a yes, yes, okay.
Speaker 1: I'll just break up with her, though, will.
Speaker 6: You say okay?
Speaker 5: See my point?
Speaker 2: But have you ever been in that situation where you had to get your You say it's not revenge, but revenge that way, because that's revenge.
Speaker 5: So I have been cheated on a few times, and it's like, in my head, I feel like I got them back after the fact, after the relationship, and I'm like, hot, you'll never know. It's just for like a little internal damn.
Speaker 3: How did you kiss the person cheating?
Speaker 1: You said a couple of times? Jesus Christ.
Speaker 5: The two times I've been cheated on social media? Of course, social media and social media evidence. There was a phone. No, I've never gone through anyone's phone, Well.
Speaker 6: How'd you okay?
Speaker 5: What on social media?
Speaker 6: Like it was such and such.
Speaker 5: It was like, yeah, it was multiple things on social media and then evidence like panties and hair ties.
Speaker 1: Question when you asked him, did he reply yes, ma'am?
Speaker 5: No, they try to deflect.
Speaker 6: Damn, that's my sister's or something. Did they lie and like, that's my sisters and my cousins?
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know how it goes.
Speaker 1: Cousins.
Speaker 3: They really said that was his sisters.
Speaker 7: And cousins A little something around but not another woman.
Speaker 3: Did you break up immediately or did you feel I did.
Speaker 6: Good for you?
Speaker 5: And I block because we're cancers so I don't want to see my phone blowing up. I don't want to see loving long text messages because I don't want to be a simp and crawl back.
Speaker 1: When you do, it's dirty, it's a rap.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Do you double double back at all?
Speaker 5: I did one time and I was like, nope, it ended for a reason.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, answer this question. What does cheating back actually accomplished? Lady?
Speaker 4: Seriously, when y'all really think about it, I.
Speaker 5: Could flip it right back. What does cheating in the first place accomplished?
Speaker 1: Jesus Christ?
Speaker 5: Does it just build up your esteem and ego?
Speaker 1: Damn?
Speaker 5: It? Is it just because it feels good in that moment? Like I feel like for women sex is about love and like the connection, and for men, I do feel like it's not as like connection based as it is for us. But at the same time, when you say you love and respect someone, you can't disrespect them publicly by like you know.
Speaker 6: And even spite like get back sex? Like is that a spite? The women don't really want to do it.
Speaker 5: We're really just.
Speaker 7: Doing it because we're so angry because the after feeling of the guy you did is like, what.
Speaker 1: Is y'all talking about sex?
Speaker 6: I'm just saying, like this.
Speaker 2: Conversation right, I'm over there getting.
Speaker 1: Upset, going dog, this is being hand in here just before we get back to music.
Speaker 2: Was that what changed you and make you more outspoken? Because you talked about outspoken because in those situations you now be quiet. You have to be outspoken to say your thoughts.
Speaker 5: That wasn't what changed me. It was other things that didn't have to deal with a man. And I'm happy to say that I'm not phased or the way that I love or go into relationships and stuff isn't phased because of how someone else has done me wrong in the past, because that's a them problem, not a me problem. And I think a lot of times us as women, when something like that happens to us, the first thing we think is what was it that I did. Was it was I wrong? Is there something I could have done better? Things like that? But no, that was like in the middle to the end kind of stage of it. I had COVID actually, and Toron, who I wrote Have Mercy With and Told You with Missy Elliott, he sent it to me. It was just the guitar and his vocal. It was the first two verses in the hook, and I was just getting out of relationship and I was like depressed and miserable. I had COVID in my apartment and I was getting cheated on. I was like, you know what, So I immediately I set up my stuff in my home studio and I recorded it and it just was so freeing. It was really great.
Speaker 1: What if he used COVID as an excuse? He was like, I wanted to be with you, but you had COVID, So I ended up shut.
Speaker 5: Oh no, But it was like this, you know, like when it's never like one thing. So it was like I found out then like the week later, I had COVID. So it was like you know, the second third week, when you're like not talking and getting over it, it's like, oh, but that's why I'm happy I have music to kind of really put my soul into. And I'm so damn happy Future hopped on the record, Like you.
Speaker 1: Got the most toxic person this.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but even like his melodies and he's just really brilliant and you know, in terms of music, and I was happy that he got to speak up for the fellas in it.
Speaker 1: It's got a country feel to it almost.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 5: It kind of reminds me of like How to Love with Little Wayne, and it reminds me of four or five Seconds with Paul McCartney and Kanyet. That's why I loved it. Thank you. I wanted to keep a shit.
Speaker 3: One more thing about that, I want to go too.
Speaker 2: So does that mean the men that you do understand that you're going to put their stuff in this's all matter?
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's ago. The thing about the thing about me though, is I'll never say names. I don't kiss and tell. I don't want them to put my business in the streets. And I kind of say to myself, I've been single for almost a year now, and I'm like, I'm open to whatever God has for me, but I'm not like hunting down for it. I'm like, whatever happens happens.
Speaker 4: How can you trust guys and not to put your business out there though because you are Chloe Bailey like you to.
Speaker 5: Talk of the town. No you should. Yeah. I think it's all about having discernment, like when you share your energy with the specific individual, like I try to pick knowing they have a good heart and they're not dumb.
Speaker 4: So any what you said on Cheapback on Cheapbacks that you say you're gonna find you a thug, that's basically what you described.
Speaker 1: He said you're gonna find you a hood dude with tats and all types of stuff. The cheat backs.
Speaker 6: Is that what you're into?
Speaker 5: Okay? So the thing is, I don't really know what I'm into. I don't discriminate, Okay, you know, I've like the really sweet nerds, not about the look like the thug. I'm from Atlanta, So it's just like whoever can stimulate my mind, Like, what can you teach me? Like, put me on game, teach me new words? Because I'm quite intelligent. I like this is where I get like, oh, so it really doesn't matter how you look. I mean it does because I don't want to wake up and be scared. However, it's about It's about it's about the spirits.
Speaker 4: First, my last question about that record because I think Future Think the Future said, if you said you can find yourself fucking on someone else, do y'all really believe that?
Speaker 5: Oh? So when I got the verse in, I felt that in my spirit because he was like, okay, so you finally know who you are as an individual because you had sex with another man and how like passive aggressive and so like? Oh is that statement? That line's my favorite? The I should have put cameras and the crib line is my favorite.
Speaker 6: Break that bar down, break that bar.
Speaker 4: I can't remember the exact bar is, but he said you can find yourself fucking on someone else.
Speaker 5: Yeah he said, he goes shot. He finally found herself fucking on someone else.
Speaker 6: But he found herself yes, right? Or he does?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 5: Oh he does.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 5: I don't like that, but like I the reason because I'm a pretty fair person. It's all about perspective. The reason why I love that line so much is because our power doesn't come from opening ourselves up to another individual. Our power comes from internal and self love. So it's petty as I am being on the song and it's like, yeah, I want to hurt you just as much as you hurt me. Even when I do that, will it make me feel better at the end of the day. And that's why I really love that line, because the only thing you accomplished was getting back at him, But you still haven't found yourself. You're still insecure and crime questioning why am I not good enough? So I like that. That's why I love that line because it was like I got to read the fellows and he got to read the ladies.
Speaker 3: Who do you talk to when you're going through all this stuff?
Speaker 5: My god, Mom, I call her. I ran me Her and Holly have a whole group chat man.
Speaker 3: God Mama never wanted to pull up on some of these dudes.
Speaker 5: Oh she has wanted to. She's from the Caribbean, so she's gangster. I love that.
Speaker 1: Ye of your favorite records is Body Doo right now?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 7: My favorite one is body Dude. I feel like that should have been the single like that one. That's a good especially that the weather's getting warm.
Speaker 5: And stuff like that.
Speaker 6: But why did you start the record like that?
Speaker 5: Why do you.
Speaker 6: Ever wonder who else is fucking your man?
Speaker 7: Yes?
Speaker 5: Okay, so I wrote Body Doo after I found the panties. Ah, And it's like, you know when someone's not good for you, but there's something within you that just misses them. You miss their touch, you miss like the connection that you have. So what I really I wrote that song in five minutes because I was quite angry. But I love the juxtaposition of how fun it sounds like it's just shaking ass, but it's quite toxic and sad. And it's like, I can't trust you as far as I can throw you. I can't trust what you tell me, but I can trust what that body doing because you're right in front of me. Language, Yes, like what goes on behind closed doors? I think they were they were they were nice. I never hers. I never fault the other woman because I'm not in a relationship with her. I didn't do that. I didn't touch your smell.
Speaker 3: They're not.
Speaker 1: Kill them.
Speaker 5: I don't know. I didn't. I wasn't paying attention. I like that you said that.
Speaker 7: I've heard a few men say, like, why why do they never be mad at the woman for knowing I have a girl and they're doing X Y?
Speaker 6: Because like, and I don't agree with that sentiment.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's I don't like how society has taught us as women to compete with each other. Like if you flip it again, if two dudes find out about each other, they're not calling each other going back and forth. Oh so let's compare stories, right, they're just moving on because they're not you. Yeah, the immature ones.
Speaker 2: But I don't think no dude's gonna leave a sock and be like I want this other dude to find my sock or whatever.
Speaker 5: Men are petty.
Speaker 7: Men do a pull up, though, but definitely pull up. Try to make it awkward or something like that.
Speaker 5: Oh, that's never happened to me. Has that happened to you?
Speaker 6: That hasn't happened to me?
Speaker 7: But I watched it, friend, I'd be sitting there with some popcorn.
Speaker 1: Why did you say the panties were nice? Though? Like?
Speaker 5: They were cute?
Speaker 3: She left that there, she.
Speaker 4: Wanted scaring the hell out your your woman, be like I found some q PI. I found a q PA of panties.
Speaker 5: And I know they're not mine.
Speaker 1: WHOA I walked out the door. Damn yeah was he quick on his feet at least?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 3: What can you say? There's no answer to their mind?
Speaker 5: The thing about women, you know.
Speaker 1: That's a good one.
Speaker 3: He said, they're mine. They are mine.
Speaker 5: I've been like, you know, baby, do we need to discuss some things?
Speaker 4: Right? Yeah, I'm glad you have that conversation might be easier than another one, you know what I'm saying. I'm just saying, now, what was it like recording I want you to feel me cry and make it look easy?
Speaker 1: Because both those records felt very personal.
Speaker 5: Oh yes, okay, so this album is quite toxic. To be honest, feel me cry as emotional and sad as it sounds, it's actually a quite sexually liberated song. You know. It's double meanings to feel me cry and then with make it would make it look easy. That one was the most personal song in the record. I went into the studio trying to just like forget what was going on in my life, and I thought I was just gonna make like some fun shit, and I heard these simple chords and I just started writing. Usually I'll go in the booth and freestyl a bunch of melodies and then like Frankenstein it together. But I was just coming up with the melodies and writing it at the same time. And I was crying while I was writing it and cutting in the booth, and even after listening to the demo to hear if I wanted to fix anything, I couldn't listen to it for a while because for the people who know me personally, like it's a way deeper meaning, like with hidden messages and what certain things mean within the lyrics. So I'm really proud of myself for being so open and honest. And I was like, I can't create a conceptual album about heartbreak and being left in pieces without being completely honest, Like, yeah, I can talk about relationships and friends stabbing me in the back, but it's like, why not talk or cover the other things? Because mental health is real, Anxiety is real, Feeling like you're not good enough is real, Feeling like you don't want to be here anymore is real, and I've been through all that. So I was like, if I'm saying I'm going to be honest, and I should put it within the music. And I didn't really care if it sounded like a single or anything. I just wanted to speak my truth. So that was the last song I wrote that I put on the album.
Speaker 4: That's one of my favorite records on the album because I feel like, you know, thank you back in the day when we was coming up, you would see child stars and then you would all of a sudden see child stars just lose.
Speaker 1: It and go crazy.
Speaker 4: But nobody ever documents that. I feel like you was documenting. Yeah, that process in that record.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's that's one thing I'll say about myself. I'm a lot stronger than I ever thought I was. And I'm really proud because of the shit that I've been through. I have not let that change me or my character as a human being. And you know, hurt people, hurt people, and the cycle continues, and that's stopping. Like with me.
Speaker 1: You know, have you gone to therapy?
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, I have a therapist.
Speaker 1: Absolutely.
Speaker 5: I think it's really important to be honest. Like we go to the gym to exercise, we brush up on, you know, our last extensions and our hair and go into the barber. We should also do that internally.
Speaker 2: Had a session last night and it helps so much. Absolutely, Are you off the internet as much now? Because I know I know you're on it.
Speaker 1: You watch it.
Speaker 2: So here's the thing, because I show your therapist says that's the major thing.
Speaker 1: You got to stay off a soli.
Speaker 5: She does as well as my god, mom. She's trying to still she sees me going on it. For me, before it was easier to just like delete the apps off my phone. But now I'm on tour, I'm trying to promote my album. Like I can't just get off of it like I want to. It's a part of my business. So I have to like monitor myself because you can get down the rabbit hole and things like that, and I'm not going to sit up here and lie and be like, oh yeah, like nothing bothers me. I'm great, because that's a lie. But at the end of the day, it's like you have to fall so you can get back up and be stronger, and you dust your shoulders off and you get back up. So for me, I know the work that I put into everything. I know the good energy and the good person that I am, and that will just come back to me.
Speaker 2: So sometimes you gotta say fuck it though, Like I know, yeah, he doesn't have Twitter app on his phone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I only read the first ten comments.
Speaker 1: Those are the people that follow me.
Speaker 5: Everything else own or the spam.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you don't, but my wife does, and she reads every comment and sometimes you know it, she said, it doesn't affect it, but it has to all that. The negative energy has to affect you in some type of way.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, And what people were accusing me of like being somebody that I'm not, I saw myself turning into that just based off of what people would say. So every day I'm living my life unapologetically, like I'm very out there and bubbly. I've been that way since I was a little girl. That has never ever changed. And when I would see people say, oh, she does too much or she over sexualizes herself, I'm gonna be twenty five and like a couple of months, I'm a grown woman. But I think because people grew up with my sister and I when we were younger, they can't get past that. But I'm like, you know what, I'm grateful that I'm bree and whatever I'm stressing out about is not that big of a deal.
Speaker 4: So you said you became that, So what you started being more overly sexual on purpose.
Speaker 5: Or oh no, no, no, I was changing myself. I was trying to cover up. I was trying to be on stage like oh, because people are like, just have the mic and sing, I was like, okay, but I expressed with my body, you know, I grew up and dance when I was younger, Like it's a form of expression. I don't want to be predictable. I don't want to be mediocre. I want to be extraordinary and be like something you've never seen before.
Speaker 4: And it's shocking, isn't It's strange because I remember the first video that went viral. It was the busseet Chance and everybody loved you. And then and then after a while, I was like, Okay, now she's doing too much.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's the crazy thing. Like even before Sis and I got our own Instagram pages, like that's what I don't like when people try to pit family against each other or compare sisters, like we're two complete individuals. We will not be the same. And if you go back and watch performances within the group, I was still the same passion it moving.
Speaker 6: Oh there's some funny video. Yeah yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 5: And before people would like praise that, and it seemed like once I found confidence and my power within that, people would then try to weaponize it because no one ever likes to see a black woman be confident within ourselves. Once you claim that it's a problem.
Speaker 4: Speaking of pitting people against each other, the Internet. The internetfl like Beyonce should have done more in regard to promoting your album.
Speaker 1: What do you What do you have to say about that?
Speaker 5: I love b and she supported my sis and I since we had our little locks on YouTube, so it's all love over here. I love her.
Speaker 3: Do you feel like the label could have supported more and push more?
Speaker 4: Because that's what nobody talking about. Everybody want to blame Beyonce. Where was the label at? Well?
Speaker 5: I feel like it's all politics. But this is what I'll say. God's plan is always greater than any plan I could come up with. And I'll tell you why. I shot Swarm and Praise this last. I didn't know when those were coming out. Swarm, you know whether it's negative or positive. Everybody had my name in their mouth maybe a week or and a half or two before my album. Then I was able to use because praise this is with universal shout out to will Packarantina Gordon, I love them. I got to do this whole full press junket, go on all these morning shows, going all these talk shows, Jimmy Fallon, Drew Barrymore, all these great things to talk about the movie. And because God is so good, I was able to finesse that and also promote my album. So I am grateful that I have multiple avenues and multiple ways that I can make money and promote myself. And it's hard, but I love it. And because of that, that shows me that what God has for me will be for me. And I think that's what we all have to realize when we're fighting for ourselves and fighting for a dream, that no one can stop what God has for you. So and now I'm on to sold out tour. Like, as much as everyone was talking to.
Speaker 3: You know, how did that make you feel?
Speaker 2: Because I know you're on You watch your social media, so I'm sure you've seen you trending. And they were saying Beyonce didn't post it, and Beyonce didn't you know, everybody's into this list, Like if it's your birthday, nobody post your birthday. Is the same thing they said that Beyonce didn't post it, and people were talking about how did that make you feel?
Speaker 5: Of course, when people talk anything negative about me, it's going to hurt my feelings, but I was like, at least they're talking, and at least people go listen to the project. And as much as people try to bring up numbers and things like that. I'm trending every other day.
Speaker 1: Facts.
Speaker 5: Marketing can't buy that, A label can't buy that. So people care enough to constantly have my name in their mouth. So I'm doing something right. And you know, if it was real what people were saying, my tours wouldn't be sold out, people wouldn't be singing word for word on the album I just dropped a week and a half ago. So that's what I have to switch my perspective to instead of allowing others and people who aren't doing anything with themselves or their lives.
Speaker 4: Did my light And I told you it was a marathon, not a sprint, Like you got great records on this album, Like yeah, you could be platinum this time next year.
Speaker 5: Like yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: People don't know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like singles sometimes the biggest ones take like eight months to pop off. And that's why I love you, because your your love is real behind doors and behind the cameras and stuff. Because when I saw that, I was like, yeah, I don't want to be a flash in the pan. I'm in this for the long haul. Like you know, it's not my first project. The only thing that did sting is because as technical and musical that I am, I would be like in the studio, like nights and nights on top of nights, not sleeping like me and my female engineer shout out to her women it's them, but we would just be there burning the midnight oil. I would pay attention to the bpm transitions and the key changes into the next song. And it's truly a conceptual piece and body of work. So when you put so much time into that as a skilled musician who knows what they're talking about, when people like will just to be mean, say Empire music or things like that, it's like, well, maybe listen to the album.
Speaker 1: Yeah, great album. I'm sure.
Speaker 4: Also to Beyonce has done a lot for you. People probably don't see everybody for so much stock in social media, like you're here because of Beyonce.
Speaker 1: In a lot of ways.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Like we would sing all her songs on YouTube and things like that. So it's funny. I've always loved her since I was a little girl.
Speaker 7: So you talked about stepping into your sexuality on the album, and obviously we've been seeing it in the music videos and stuff like that. But swarm that clip that was trending on Twitter. It was people were making it sound like I'm getting cross, like did you see?
Speaker 6: Did you see?
Speaker 5: I'm like, what I guess?
Speaker 6: I go look at it and then I look and I'm.
Speaker 5: Like, it's really not that. It's two seconds.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's really not that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Christ for Fall, but that's like ten minutes.
Speaker 1: Okay, So this is man, y'all. Don't ever think about us, right, I never think about.
Speaker 5: Us because God is good, lessons are flowing. I'm an actress as well, and what I love what about acting is that I'm not Chloe whenever I'm playing that certain character and shout out to Donald Glover, Jenny Neighbors, Dominique, Fishback and Damson like we had the best time. And when I was shooting on that set, I fell more in love with acting. I barely wore makeup. Everything was shot on film. In music, you win and thrive off of being this image of perfection or whatnot, Like you get clowned for messing up or tripping or falling on stage or looking a hot mess on the carpet. But with acting, that's where the beauty is, with all of the flaws and you know the imperfections and things like that. So I fell in love with the script. Now I totally like, didn't even connect. Oh I have to do a sex scene. I've never done a sex scene before, and I was like, okay, well, I'm not the focus of the scene. It's really about the shock value of Dre and Khalid watching each other and like you see the obsession between the sister's form at the beginning.
Speaker 6: Was it awkward shooting?
Speaker 5: No, you see me for two seconds in the mirror and and you did not see titties. You did not even see crack. You saw everything. You saw everything that you see from me on stage, Like, let's keep it real.
Speaker 2: Did you have to call like when you told your dad, Hey dad, this is the scene or you know what? How was that conversation The dad's still gonna be a dad my daughter's I don't care for sure.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I feel like dads will always look at their little girls like they're still little, and that's totally fine. I One thing I will say about my parents is that they know this is our job.
Speaker 2: And so what was it call you called that? Hey dad, Hi daddy, how are you feeling shooting?
Speaker 1: Did you shoot?
Speaker 7: Go?
Speaker 5: Okay, So it wasn't about the shoot. It was about when I first got it, and you know when the agents will call and be like congrats, da da da da. And after I got it, I think my dad read the script and he's like, oh okay, it's like yeah he deleted twitter O. No, it was just me. I had to hop on a flight right after I met you the.
Speaker 4: Inter And that doesn't realize how much more money they make you because if a two seconds scene cause them to lose their mind like that, all that's gonna make other people say is, oh, we got to get clothe in on movies.
Speaker 1: You gotta get clothing.
Speaker 5: God is good.
Speaker 1: God got to get Cloe endorsement deals.
Speaker 6: I like how you're said she.
Speaker 7: When you say, like acting, you can be imperfect and the music has to be perfect. Why can't you bring the imperfections to the music because I think, like like with dope about Cardi b is that you could hear she's from the Bronx, you know what I mean? And like the spanglish she uses sometimes like why can't it be both?
Speaker 5: Well, I do do both, but that's what people ridicule me for, Yeah, being imperfect, not being the type of image they want me to be. So people say they want certain things, and then when you do it, that's what they used to pick on you.
Speaker 4: The weirdest thing is when people say things like, she don't know who she is, she's not being herself.
Speaker 1: You don't know her, thank you, you don't even know her.
Speaker 5: I'm sure they'd like me if they meet me. I'm a really nice person.
Speaker 3: I wanted to ask you on a sold out tour?
Speaker 2: Yeah, does that mean that you're not going to be a special guest or that you are going to be a special guest on somebody else's store coming up?
Speaker 5: Well, I'm definitely. I'm definitely gonna see the show for sure, and it's been exciting, like seeing what I've been doing for myself. Like I've never headlined a solo tour ever SIS and I never got to do it for On Godly Hour because we were in the midst of a pandemic, so I really didn't know what to expect going into it. Like when I announced it, even before the album dropped, I was a little nervous, like, wo people want to come things like that? Every night, I'm like telling my Godma and my team, I'm like, what do you see out there? Like people out there like for some reason, it doesn't click that people are there to see me correct and it's sold out. And I think when you're constantly used to people telling you otherwise, a part of you, as much as you don't want to begins to believe it. But then when I step out on that stage and I see it and I hear it, it's not like people are just watching me being quiet. They're singing the words back to me. They're giving me that energy and that love. You can't fake that, you can't buy that and and make up numbers. You can't do that with that. That's real. So as long as I'm connecting with the ones who love me and I'm doing what makes me happy, that's really all. Then that matters.
Speaker 4: It was also okay to have your people say, don't ask me no Beyonce questions. I love Beyonce and I'm my own inthity a right, because I mean, I'm sure Kelly Michelle, everybody's gone through that.
Speaker 1: That is stitding next to that great person you called Beyonce.
Speaker 7: Okay, yeah, I mean she is Beyonce.
Speaker 5: Everybody wants to know about her. So I'm just like cool, like I don't really look much into it.
Speaker 1: Are you gonna be open enough for her?
Speaker 5: About Beyonce my family.
Speaker 1: Practice? Are you gonna be open enough for Beyonce?
Speaker 5: I plead the fifth They don't o no, no, no, no no. I'm nice and you're my family now I do cuss.
Speaker 1: Are you gonna be opening up for Beyonce?
Speaker 5: I don't know?
Speaker 3: Take that clip going no fucking questions beyond everywhere?
Speaker 5: That would be great.
Speaker 1: Now with all a critique you get from being.
Speaker 2: By the way, she said, she didn't know, She didn't say no, she said, she says, says she's not sorry.
Speaker 1: We heard.
Speaker 4: Just if all a critique you get from being a music artist, does it make you just want to stay in acting because of because of the freedom that you're getting acting.
Speaker 5: That's a really great question. And in this past week that crossed my mind a few times and I got over it like two three days ago. Really yeah, And I was like, when people make you doubt, and especially as creatives, we already doubt everything we do, so you begin to think like, oh, well, maybe this isn't for me, But then I would be going against the exact reason why God put me here, So why like pray it away? Never lessen yourself to please somebody else. And that's in everything, not even just me, not people in the business, not, it's with everything, And I think why I love Make It Look Easy so much. I was in New York a couple months ago, and this was when I was like listening to the mixes and like, I'm so technical, I will obsess over the two empty seconds at the end when it comes to mastering. Anyways, I was listening to it and I saw a single mom with her child. I saw a man who kind of looked really sad with his briefcase, and I saw a homeless man all while like make it look easy, make it look easy, make it look easy, was playing, And in that moment, I said, Okay, I'm doing what I've been praying for. That I healed through my music because it's bigger than me, Like when I leave this world, I want my music to make a difference when people come to me and tell me because I'm open about my mental health journey and you know how I was struggling with even still here, they say that that saved them because they felt less alone. So that on its own holds so much more weight than anything you could ever put in comparison to that. When you get stuff like that, numbers don't matter, awards don't matter. I'm not doing it for that. I'm doing it because it makes me happy. It's literally like my favorite thing in the world.
Speaker 3: Love that so well.
Speaker 2: I I got to ask you about they're making me ask about Iheartland.
Speaker 5: Oh yes, Iheartland.
Speaker 1: I don't know what that is.
Speaker 5: I know I do, I do, I do. Shout out to our heart, hut out to our heart. Thank y'all for playing my songs, Thank you for me. I did like a five song concert and it was amazing. I got to do it in front of an audience like one hundred and fifty people I think of like my closest fans. And this was before the album even came out. So it was the best. It was me with a band and it was great. So I actually really love it. It turned out really nice, to be honest.
Speaker 2: So it is this Friday at seven pm. They haven't told me where Charla it is my heart the metaverse, you see, they didn't tell us much about it. They just said, ask about I Heartland.
Speaker 5: That's what following for you.
Speaker 4: Oh iHeartRadio dot com slash I Heeartland. You know that's that is heart radio dot com slas Heartland. I'm sorry that such a journey.
Speaker 6: You're good following for you you're talking about I don't need a man. That's the interlew Right.
Speaker 7: Yes, we're like, where were you at when you came up with that? Okay, it happened, So that's not me speaking. So it's my Godmom and I had my phone out. She gotten and she's from the Caribbean.
Speaker 3: Where islands you from? What island you're from? Godmom?
Speaker 6: She covered her face.
Speaker 5: She even hates the camera.
Speaker 1: Oh, I was just was just there. I was there two weeks ago. I loved it at a ball.
Speaker 5: So we were in the car and God bless his soul, he was really great. He got us there safely. The driver from a shoot. He was opening up to us about his love life, his personal love life. It was me and my Godmama and my stylus in the car, and so it started branching out, like the double standards with men and women and things like that. So I pulled out my phone to record the back and forth because I wanted to send it to Halle and Joe and Branson. And I was dying laughing. It's a ten minute conversation. And this was when I was filming Praises at the time, so I was in the studio with Dream and I played it for him like the whole ten minutes because we were just laughing about it. Shout out to him, I love him, he's family, and he was like, you need to make this into an interlude or I'm gonna take it and do it. I was like, you think so He's like, yes, like take a portion. So then when I sent it to Halle, she said the same thing, and I was like, God, are you trying to tell me something? And there was this interlude that I just had the hook on that I really had nothing left else to say on it, and I was like, Oh, I got it. That's it, because I the juxtaposition of in the beginning it's like, yes, I'm falling for you, I'm losing myself because of how much I love you. But it's like it flips when you hear her come and say, fuck that ship. I'm not laying down and giving myself to a man just to lose myself. So it really as a cancer because when I'm in love, I give my all and I think that's why I needed to be single this past year, so I could put all of the attention and focus on myself. So I love it so much. It even starts off the tour at the top of the show.
Speaker 2: I love it well, I'm I represent you God Mom. And since we didn't get clearance for that record, we need PC.
Speaker 1: Did you voice? We need PC.
Speaker 2: You need to take it to court or you know, you can pay a sitiside whatever whatever you prefer.
Speaker 7: Come on, Yeah, the record that you did with Missy Elliott. Did you guys do that together? I want to know what is it like working with Missy Elliott?
Speaker 4: Another cancers and studio same birthday July first.
Speaker 5: Okay, so first off saying because of her, it gave me confidence as a black woman to produce and let my nerd kind of fly in that way. So around Grammy weekend, I got the call from Grammys and Harvey Mason because he did the music for Praises, and they were like, oh, we want you to honor Missy at BMC Black Music Collective. I was like, are you kidding me?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 5: I love her, Like, out of all the tributes I've ever done, this was the one and even her manager Mona Scott. She said that I was on her wish list of people, so it was a surprise that I was supposed to be there. So I was already freaking out, one because I knew I'd be singing in front of her, and two to know that she even likes me and knows of me. So I got out on that stage and I saw her, I was like, oh my gosh. And I sang one in a million and one minute man. And after I got off that stage, I held her so tight and I was like, thank you for everything that you've done and inspired me with. And that was when I was finishing the final mixes of my album. And like two days later, I was listening to Toldia and the beat is heavily inspired by her, as a lot of the tracks on there are, and I looked at my god mom, who's my manager? I was like, what if we got Missy on Toldia? And she gave me the eye. And then maybe a few hours later, I got a text from a random number on my phone. It was Missy and she was thanking me for the tribute and how much she loves me and to keep going and to keep God first and she does not know how much her saying that coming from her meant to me, and I got her verse super Bowl morning. I literally cried out on the floor in the hotel room, like for twenty minutes because for some reason, whenever I'm like going through something, I like make high energy songs. That's how I have mercy got started. It was like to clap back at all the people saying I show my ass too much and told youa I was in the studio with Taran again was like, man, people are telling me I can't do this, they're underestimating me. And he's like, you know what, We're gonna tell those motherfuckers. So that's why it's called I told you so. Even though it sounds like from such a big place of confidence, it really came from a place of feeling so small. So with all of that being said, to have an icon like her put her stamp of approval on a song that I wrote because I felt like I wasn't good enough to do this, that's that meant so much to me.
Speaker 4: I've seen the change, Like there was a time where it was still Chloe publicist talking points.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you ripped that up in the last last month, or so I've seen. Yeah, I've seen.
Speaker 5: You're human. You Yeah, we're human like none of us are perfect, and it's boring to act like we are.
Speaker 3: So you want to you got another question? You want to get into a joint?
Speaker 1: Off anything else?
Speaker 6: Now we can get into it.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 4: I just want to tell my cousin that, you know, she knows our love her, and you know, I want to tell you it's better if it's something my therapist told me. Actually, it's better to be slandered than ignored, right, and all anoise.
Speaker 1: Is the price you pay for all of the good you do in the world.
Speaker 5: I love that.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm, ain't downloaded? Don't know?
Speaker 5: Shut up?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 5: Did you did you download the album?
Speaker 3: I streamed it?
Speaker 5: Okay, So what was your favorite song?
Speaker 1: Good? Now you got them? Now you got it?
Speaker 5: You keep one of those the bus? Tell me your favorite song.
Speaker 2: I'm a DJ, So I played the records in the club? So which one the club?
Speaker 5: Which did you play from in pieces? Because have Mercy isn't on in pieces?
Speaker 3: It might be that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, Chloe, but I want to hear from the album right now. And even though I don't personally, you know, I love I love the song sonically, but I don't like what it stands for A cheap my future.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's because I think that's it.
Speaker 3: We're gonna get into it now.
Speaker 1: You are DJ. What you think is the hit by body?
Speaker 3: Do it?
Speaker 6: Got that energy? The weather is warm now?
Speaker 2: Both both both that's Chloe Bailey, ladies and gentlemen.
Speaker 3: Thank you for joining.
Speaker 5: Thank you guys, I love you.
Speaker 2: And it's the Breakfast Club is Chloe Bally one said, we gotta just do some for BT.
Speaker 3: Cool Hi, we.
Speaker 2: Got more with Chloe Bailey when we come back, Don't Move, It's the Breakfast Club on BT. We got more with Chloe Bailey. It's the Breakfast Club on BT. We got what when we come back? We got more with Chloe Bailly. It's the Breakfast Club on BT. Don't Move, Don't go anywhere Chloe Bailey when we come back on BT.
Speaker 3: That was Chloe Bailey on BT rumors on the way. Thank you so much, Thank you,