Speaker 1: Welcome, fellow conspiracy realist to our classic episode for today. Just a quick heads up, this episode does contain descriptions of abuse, descriptions of manipulation and cover ups. As such, it may not be appropriate for all listeners, but we believe this story is important. Matt. You remember several years back when we recorded this we talked not just about the predator Harvey Weinstein, we also talked about the systemic cover ups of abuse in Hollywood.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is a wide ranging discussion about what it used to take to make it in Hollywood and the system that was in place there of abuse. Some of the folks, not everybody, but some of the folks at the top of these major organizations knew that they had the power and they used it in really nefarious, messed up ways.
Speaker 1: And unfortunately, this system continues in many ways today, which is part of the reason we are airing this classic episode. We would love to hear your thoughts.
Speaker 3: From UFOs to psychic powers and government conspiracies. History is riddled with unexplained events. You can turn back now or learn this stuff they don't want you to know.
Speaker 2: Hello, and welcome back to the show. My name is Matt, My name is Noah.
Speaker 1: They call me Ben. We are with our super producer Paul Dekkins. You are you and that makes this stuff. They don't want you to know. Today's episode will just cut straight to the chase. Is about an epidemic in Hollywood that has existed for a very very long time, longer than anyone listening to the show today has been alive unless they are more than a century old. We're talking about the epidemic of sexual abuse in Hollywood, as well as the long running, active conspiracy to aid and a bet the perpetrators of these crimes while punishing, suppressing, blackballing, and dismissing their victims.
Speaker 4: And that's the kicker here. This is the very definition of a conspiracy. It's something that's been swept under the rug, whether actively or just through inaction, for decades.
Speaker 2: And because there are powerful people involved who have connections in places that would be important to have if you were going to create a conspiracy such as this.
Speaker 4: And I just want to say that for me personally, and I think you guys would probably agree, is I just want to be an ally to the folks that have experienced this kind of abuse and discuss it in as matter of fact a way as possible and put this information out there for folks that maybe don't know the depths of it. But we are going to get into some descriptions of behavior that is both aberrant and possibly triggering.
Speaker 5: So just warning you right now.
Speaker 1: Agreed and well said, we want to caution all listeners that this episode does contain reports of abuse and may not be suitable for all audiences. Additionally, we have, over the lifetime of this show, we have we have covered things that may sound you know, silly or reverent, but we consider this a moral imperative on our part. And uh, it's no secret that Hollywood is by and large often seen as a sleazy place.
Speaker 5: And although we always.
Speaker 1: Want to avoid painting things with an overly broad brush, Tinseltown has to a degree earned this reputation, a large degree.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's this thing you may have heard of called the casting couch, and this is a tactic that's been around for the past century. It's it's the practice where a pretty user or director, or someone who is high up in the industry, in the movie industry in particular, will demand or perhaps even hint at, sexual favors in exchange for a role in a film or for even a TV commercial or anything really, and they will try and get these favors from aspiring actors. That's probably the most vulnerable people who are hungry and getting into the industry, as well as established, well known actors who are trying to reignite their career or something or.
Speaker 5: Even just go to the next level, you know, in their career. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, and not just actors, of course, we're also talking about members of production crews. We're talking about anyone that could be involved in this industry.
Speaker 4: And that casting cast situation is so insidious because it almost it doesn't require implicit requesting of a sexual act It doesn't you know, have to come out.
Speaker 5: And say it.
Speaker 4: It's a lot out of it is implied with subtext, and there is this underlying sense that if I don't do this in one way or another, I am not going to get this job, or I am going to be mistreated in some way or blacklisted.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that real fear of being blacklisted is something that's that we're going to see play out throughout the story.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's a very rational fear because it does happen. It is most terrifyingly happening to people. As we sit in the studio today. It's often said that some people will do almost anything in the pursuit of fame and or power. But it's also true that people who acquire massive amounts of fame and power often have very little oversight regarding how they choose to wield it.
Speaker 2: We have an example here from one of the strongest voices I think in dealing with this subject, Amber Tamlin. She wrote in The New York Times on September sixteenth, twenty seventeen. She says, for women in America who come forward with stories of harassment, abuse, and sexual assault, there are not two sides to every story. However noble that principle might seem. Women do not get to have a side. They get to have an interrogation. Too often they are questioned mercilessly about whether their side is legitimate, especially if that side happens to accuse a man of stature. Then that woman has to consider the scrutiny and repercussions she'll be subjected to by sharing her side.
Speaker 1: And of course we would be remiss if we did not establish that this is not something that is solely limited to women.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, but very much the majority of people experiencing this.
Speaker 4: Are women, and that power dynamic that we're talking about is has a legacy, you know, I mean of these you think about these executives, these powerful male, kind of dominating figures that own the town, and that has just been perpetuated over time.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, and abusers, depending upon their position, were historically protected and currently protected by powerful interests who often worked not only to keep the story out of the press, but also to keep these criminals out of jails where they inarguably belonged. The situation appeared to change, or begin to change over the course of twenty seventeen. Prominent performers and executives who were once protected by this invisible system of power and influence found their victims speaking out, fighting back, and the crimes of these formerly untouchable individual's surface without suppression into the public sphere. Today, we're exploring this phenomenon to see how what was once most definitely the stuff Hollywood doesn't want you to know, has finally gained mainstream recognition as the dire epidemic that it is. And along the way, we'll investigate several specific cases.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're going to look at names like Harvey Weinstein, which kind of kicked off this whole thing Bill Cosby, which was even before that, that kind of maybe led to that breaking point.
Speaker 4: It's interesting that Bill Cosby sort of felt like his own case where it was, you know, this very wholesome seeming man had done all of these horrible things behind closed doors. But Weinstein really cracked it open because he represents something else that had It's I don't know Cosby too.
Speaker 5: I mean, he was a producer.
Speaker 4: He abused many people that were seeking to work with him and for him. But for some reason, when the Weinstein revelations came about, everyone started coming forward.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it represented the larger structure of Hollywood, and it's not that much different with Louis c. K He's another person. We're going to look at a producer and director and somebody who has a lot of control, and we're going to look at a lot more people as well. And we're also going to briefly touch on the historical allegations which were again for decades somewhat ignored by the mainstream press and at least a lot of times kept out of the court system.
Speaker 1: I would say even worse than a crime of negligence or neglect on the part of the press is the crime of active attacking. And we'll end on some questions as well, not just who knew what and when, and not just what Hollywood as a whole will do in support of the victims, both unknown and known, but will also ask what happens next, Will anything actually permanently significantly change? And here are the facts. As we record this episode, over thirty prominent men from various entertainment industries have been accused of sexual misconduct, harassment, assault, and rape. We have specific examples from Hollywood, and perhaps we should start with Harvey Weinstein.
Speaker 2: The allegations against Harvey Weinstein date back decades. There are early reports We're talking very early, all the way back to the nineteen seventies, and they kind of continued bit by bit throughout the years. Then in October of twenty seventeen, the New York Times published allegations of sexual harassment and assault against this gentleman. And currently, as we are recording this episode, they're around thirty prominent actors and over eighty women in total who have come forward with reports of abuse or attempted abuse at least by Harvey Weinstein.
Speaker 4: And Weinstein and his brother Bob made names for themselves as head of the Weinstein Company, and I believe they also own Mirramaxy, And you know, they kind of were an important force in mainstreaming indie film.
Speaker 2: And I guess you could say, like talking about everything from Kill Bill and going back in with Tarantino movies, you're talking about big ones, Lord of the Rings franchise.
Speaker 1: Or magnificent works of art like freeda which Weinstein fought to suppress and then gladly took credit for when it won numerous awards.
Speaker 2: Look at their top movies. You're looking at some of the highest grossing movies around.
Speaker 1: It's a gold standard. In some cases, during these allegations, Weinstein's legal team spent great amounts of money to reach confidential settlements with the victims. In each case, the legal team was careful to include some kind of clause or language arguing something along the lines of this is not an admission of guilt, but that's a statement that rings false and consideration of the just the sheer amount of money and estimated to be involved here.
Speaker 2: And you know they also he used spies to infiltrate some of these groups to get information out of certain women that were accusing him of things. It goes really deep and pis and you think about the conspiratorial aspect of all that fighting back against people who are going to speak truth to power.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and lately there have been some new allegations that have come up with the director Terry Weygoff, who made one of my favorite documentaries of all time. Crumb also did the Bad Santa movie, which was interesting, but apparently in conversations with Weinstein, anytime he would mention interest in the actress Mira Sorvino, he would get a click, he would get hung up on, and that had surfaced in another allegation from Peter Jackson involving Mira Sorvino, saying that anytime her name came up, there was just active aggression from Harvey and his brother, and they of course denied it because that was specifically referencing the Lord of the Rings movies, which Weinstein Company initially was going to bankroll and then they lost it to new line. So the Weinstein line was we had no control overcasting because it ultimately left our hands.
Speaker 5: But then it's been.
Speaker 4: Corroborated with the terry's Wygoff allegations. So there are a lot of levers. A man like that can pull to keep things, keep people hushed up about this kind of stuff, whether it's the victim themselves or anyone else in the industry that knows. And back to the casting couch thing, the reason a lot of this is so insidious is you don't have to be told to shut up.
Speaker 5: You just know. There's this culture.
Speaker 4: That pervades this you know town that's based around this particular industry where if you don't see someone that's really being brave and setting an example coming forward at great cost to themselves like we're seeing now, chances are you're going to be terrified into submission and just you know, fear for your livelihood.
Speaker 1: And that specific case with Mirror Cervino has been corroborated, as you said. In addition, there's Rose McGowan in his career was also cut short. Weinstein, like many other serial criminals, had an mo O motus operandi, yes, a mode of operation that his typically involved deception. For example, inviting an actor or a colleague to quote unquote business meeting, only to later change the location, insists they hold the meeting at night in a hotel bar or in his office in his hotel and then he would often be coming out of the bathroom in a robe. He would outrighte pressure them for sexual activity in exchange for casting consideration. And we have a specific example of Harvey Weinstein's behavior from before the scandal broke yes.
Speaker 2: This one comes from twenty fifteen, two years ago, a twenty two year old woman accused Weinstein of touching her inappropriately during an evening meeting at his Tribeca Film Center offices, and it comes from the New York Times. So the New York Times did write about this. They had two stories. The first one was the allegation of groping and the second one was this one. It says the woman told investigators that Weinstein touched her inappropriately after telling her that it was important for casting agents to know whether her breasts were real. So just that's insidious already. She contacted the police after the meeting, and at the direction of the detectives, placed another call to Weinstein. They recorded that one uh and then during this call, Weinstein actually acknowledged that this episode had occurred. And then they had a follow up meeting, this time at a hotel room, and she wore a wire.
Speaker 5: They recorded it have you heard that.
Speaker 2: I have not heard this take.
Speaker 5: It is shocking is not the right word.
Speaker 4: It's just the way he's so nonchalant about it, and he's so matter of fact about it. And he basically just keeps telling this woman, this model, don't embarrass me, and then come into my come into the room, let's talk about this. Come into my room. Don't embarrass me. I'm at this hotel a lot, I'm a big deal around here. And then she says, can you tell it, says, but you touched my breast, I'm not comfortable with this, YadA, YadA, YadA, And he said, look, it's it's what I'm used to. He just says it, just tosses it off like it's nothing.
Speaker 1: Chilling.
Speaker 5: Is is the is the word I was looking for.
Speaker 2: Well, in the end, I'm going to read a quote from the article. Quote, this case was taken seriously from the outset, with a thorough investigation conducted by our sex crimes unit. After analyzing the available evidence, including multiple interviews with both parties, a criminal charge is not supported. So nothing happened to Tarvey Weinstein because of this. And you know, you can get into the minutia of the law there about what constitutes sexual assault and abuse and misconduct and all of that. But it certainly seems like something very wrong occurred there and nothing happened.
Speaker 1: And this could fill an episode entirely with the exploration of Weinstein's crimes. We want to we want to paint a picture of the system at play here, because it is a systemic phenomenon. So let's move to Bill Cosby. Accusations against Cosby date to at least the nineteen sixties, meaning they span the vast majority of the seventy nine to eight eighty year old's career. He likewine seeing her again. Any other serial criminal also had anm his Numerous victims described crimes with a startling similarity. Cosby would make a drink or a beverage for the victim, slip a drug into the beverage, and then sexually assault or attempt to assault them when they lost consciousness. For example, Christina Rouley was a twenty two year old secretary at a talent agency in la in nineteen sixty five when she met Cosby. So she was a secretary, not an inspiring act or anything, and she said that she alleged that he invited her to his home, where she says she passed out after two drinks. It was foggy and I woke up in bed, she reported to Philadelphia Magazine. I found myself on the bed. He had his shirt off, he had unzipped his pants. I was just coming to Cosby did go to trial. A lot of these folks have not even gone to a trial. He went to a trial last June, and the trial lasted six days. It ended in a jury deadlock. Currently, as we record this, Bill Cosby is set to return to court for a retrial in April of twenty eighteen on three counts of felony assault. And we talked about this a little bit off air. This is a country with a rule of law. Right, so if there had not been a retrial, we would say that he had been tried.
Speaker 5: And exonerated, right.
Speaker 1: But he is still in the court system for this, and given his age, there are concerns about his lucidity, which, to be frank with you, is similar to some of the questions we have asked in previous shows about prosecuting war criminals.
Speaker 2: That's exactly what I was thinking at this point. The general is in his eighties, and you know he can't even really remember all the atrocities that he ordered way back in the day. But how do you bring something like this to justice?
Speaker 1: And does it I mean, and it doesn't negate the existence of a crime?
Speaker 2: Absolutely?
Speaker 5: And Ben, you said, how many actual official charges?
Speaker 1: This current trial in April twenty eighteen will be for three counts of felony assault.
Speaker 4: And I've read the accusers number as high as forty eight And many of these are sort of constrained by statutes of limitations that do differ state by state.
Speaker 5: But there is a.
Speaker 4: Period of time past which you cannot prosecute these crimes anymore.
Speaker 1: And for further information on that, there's an excellent article in Mother Jones that contains a map indicating the statute of limitations for rape survivors or assault survivors state by state.
Speaker 2: And it is arguable with Bill Cosby's case that it kind of opened the floodgates for more people to outwardly discuss some of this stuff. I remember when Hannibal Burris put it in a piece of his stand up and yeah, I knew nothing of any allegations against Bill Cosby at the time.
Speaker 5: Another one of those open secrets they always talk about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, years before, and one of the most powerful things this survivor can hear after surviving is that you are not alone. Absolutely so hearing somebody else speak about the same thing happening to them or a very similar thing is very powerful. And that's also what happened with another example we mentioned at the top, the comedian Louis c K. In the years preceding twenty seventeen, Louis c K became one of the most famous, well known comics in the Western world. His live shows repeatedly sold out, his stand up specials played on repeat, and households across the planet. His independently produced TV series met with critical acclaim, and he based his voice on this sort of self deprecating, cynical but ultimately honest character, one who readily confessed any number of controversial beliefs, apparently understandable yet edgy foibles and so on. However, there was a much darker side to the actual man playing this character on stage, and it was by his own admission, eventually yeah Well.
Speaker 2: For years, rumors had swirled around the industry itself, specifically the comics people who ran the show there, about Luis c K being a powerful force in that world, but also backstage when you know, when he's kind of in the dark, he was a bit of a monster. Specifically, there were female comedians comics on tour with c K who would tell the same story over and over and over that this guy who is you know, not their boss in any way on these tours, but he's definitely as the headliner, there's a position of power out there. Yeah, and he's a big name and he's a draw. They said that he would corner them either back or at a hotel after a show and would force them to watch him pleasure himself.
Speaker 1: To watch a master by.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And while this was, as we said earlier, another open secret in the world of comedy, people outside of the industry only heard reports along the lines of a victim who does not want to be named, has accused a very powerful comedian of sexual harassment or assault, but fears pursuing justice will endanger their career.
Speaker 4: And it's interesting in the same way that Hannibal Burris kind of like lit the spark that that sort of blew the Cosby thing wide open. Comedian Tig Nataro had been openly criticizing Luis c K for not getting out in front of this accusation, because he would be asked about it in interviews and say something the effect of like, I don't want to, you know, justify it with or dignify it with the response you know, it's utterly not true and if I talk about it, it'll give it life in some way. And you know, tig Who her show One Mississippi was produced by Louis c K, and she said that she was not aware of the extent of these allegations when she signed on to his production company or agreed to sold the show to Netflix. And it's interesting too because, in a similar way to something that Cosby did, Louis K would kind of joke about these kind of proclivities in his routine and in his stand up and his show, and you know, like about you know, being basically just an incorrigible horn dog. And there's even an episode of Louis where he kind.
Speaker 1: Of where well, he sort of assaults.
Speaker 4: Pamela Ablin's character, who plays kind of his you know, on and off again love interest. He pushes her against a wall and it ultimately kind of ends up. She's okay with it, but it's a little like knowing what we know now it does not play well. And that's the same for Cosby. He had a bit where he talked about how the beauty of Spanish fly, Spanish fly, this aphrodisiac that you he talks about slipping it to women and their drinks. And it's like in this very lighthearted, silly routine from his early super clean comedy days.
Speaker 1: So a lot of truth is told in just including unpleasant truth. And we have further examples after a word from our sponsor. Now we go to Kevin Spacey, the actor famous for such films as The Usual Suspects and Seven, as well as the Netflix adaptation of House of Cards. Spacey also stands accused of harassing multiple people on and offset. Again, this was a practice members of various Hollywood social circles knew about four years. The specific claim that brought this into the mainstream occurred in October of twenty seventeen, when an actor named Anthony Rapiku Spacey of sexual assault slash harassment when Spacey was twenty six and when Anthony rapp was fourteen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and there have been multiple accusations against Kevin Spacey, and a lot of them have to do with young men, very young men in their early teens, and a lot of it is just so disheartening that I don't even want to talk about it, but you can find it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and this also will you'll also hear director Brian Singer mentioned.
Speaker 5: In some of these cases.
Speaker 4: Brian Singer, who directed The Usual Suspects of film that made Spacey quite famous.
Speaker 1: And as of the time of this recording, more reports of Spacey of surfaced. Police in the UK are currently investigating new claims against him. And one crucial thing for us to emphasize here is that it is not just the film industry, absolutely, and it's you know, it's any industry where these sorts of inequalities of power exist. The music and entertainment mogul Russell Simmons would be one, just one example from the world of music.
Speaker 2: And then even the world of celebrity chefs who you know end up in the television industry quite often, like Mario Batali and John Besh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, television host newscasters Matt Lower, Charlie Rose and more Bill O'Reilly. There's another one.
Speaker 2: We got Morgan Spurlock and Tavis Smiley, Jeffrey Tambour, Steven Seagal, Brett Ratner, Dustin Hoffman, Jeremy Piven.
Speaker 4: There's a new one that just came out with TJ. Miller, who was, you know, yeah in Silicon Valley and he's a popular stand up. Some allegations that date back to his college days just surfaced where a woman that he was apparently dating at the time said that he choked her during sex and penetrated her with objects against her will and left.
Speaker 5: Her bruised and bloody.
Speaker 4: And you know, as he rose in prominence and all of these other allegations have started to surface. This is what we're seeing, is we're seeing people, Okay, I've been carrying this around, you know, for a long time, and I'm not going to do it anymore. And you finally like feel like you haven't out, like you're not alone, and that maybe just maybe someone will you know, take you believe you.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And in the case of Miller, I believe they were originally in a comedy group together along with the person he's currently married to.
Speaker 4: It's really heartbreaking, all of it, and it just doesn't stop. And in a way it's it's cathartic and it's a it's a good thing to finally see some come up and but it's also just so disheartening to see how much of how many of the people whose art we love and who you know, we've been entertained by over the years, are at the heart just like rotten, rotten people.
Speaker 2: It's hard to fathom being a fan of a lot of the names that we have discussed like over the year, supporting with our money, supporting with our adoration, and while this stuff is going on, it's a tough pill to swallow. But the worst thing is that there are real victims who are you know, out there and just having to deal with this in real life.
Speaker 1: Garrison Keeler, executives at MPR. The list goes on and by the time this episode reaches the air, it is more than likely that there will be more exposed criminals to add to the ranks of powerful serial sexual abusers. I mean, in short, there's one thing we know for short at this point, and that's that there are more stories will come to light, but hopefully as this system of silence begins to break down. But here's where it gets crazy. All of the dates, the names, the figures from earlier that we have just discussed are as of this recording conclusively proven, but these reports appear to be the tip of a sinister and tragic and disgusting iceberg. It's at this point virtually impossible to know for certain how many actors, crew members, other studio industry staff have also been victimized. And it's impossible to know whether all these criminals responsible for this behavior will ever receive punishment for their crimes, you know, because as we mentioned earlier, Weinstein was booted from his job. He was fired, but that's not the same as going to court.
Speaker 4: But it's also only when it becomes a good business choice do those things happen. And finally we're seeing and I think he's being very empathetic about this, but Ridley Scott, for example, had a film starring Spacey that was done and they went back into production and cut Spacey out of this movie.
Speaker 5: And I think that was.
Speaker 4: The way he tells it, it was the right thing to do, But it's also like it would have affected the grosses of the movie. So it starts to like, you see these decisions being made, all thank god, they're finally wising up in Hollywood.
Speaker 2: Are they?
Speaker 4: I mean, it just feels like, Okay, finally we have to act because it's the right business move right.
Speaker 1: Like Bob Weinstein, it is wildly implausible that he had no clue what was happening working with his brother over decades.
Speaker 4: It's like the way Tarantino came out and was like, you know, first I didn't know, and then kind of came back a little bit later saying I knew more than I let on. You know, these people were cronies. They were hanging out at parties together and villas and you know, living the high life. Going to these film film festivals. You observe this kind of behavior. You can't not know.
Speaker 1: And people are the human species. Out of all of the strange things our enhanced cognition gives us, the human species has one incredibly disturbing gift, which is the ability to rationalize why I or why an individual is doing something. People will do a lot when they feel like their careers on the line, and they'll ignore a lot too. Historically, Hollywood, like any other insular industry or many other I should say, is that a reputation for protecting its own This has been a long standing tradition. Roman Polanski is a great example. Roman Polanski. This is not alleged he was convicted. It is proven he drugged and sexually assaulted a child, a thirteen year old, and even today in recent years, some members of Hollywood society have sought to allow him to return to the US with no illegal con consequences, and in the past, his supporters in France, where he lives as a free man, have fought against extradition if it meant that he would serve time for again an assault on a thirteen year old child.
Speaker 2: Can I just leave now? I don't want to talk about this anymore?
Speaker 1: Well I don't either, but we have. I mean this, this is what this show should be about.
Speaker 2: You know, you're absolutely right. It's just tough. This is tough, Okay. Another person, Brian Peck, who in two thousand and four served sixteen months in prison for engaging in sex acts with a child star who was working for Nickelodeon. This gentleman, Brian Peck, continued to work for Disney when he was out of prison. So he did this terrible thing. He went to prison for a little while, and then he got to continue to work with kids at Disney.
Speaker 1: Right he went on. He was in two x Men films, he was in three Living Dead films, and he was in two Disney television shows, I believe, and this was afterward. One that I think is another profoundly disturbing example is a director named Victor Salva. You're familiar, perhaps Matt Noll, with the films Jeeper Screepers and the Film's Powder. Salva made both of those after he was convicted in nineteen eighty eight of sexual crimes against several children that he had cast in an earlier movie. Law enforcement agencies did find commercial child pornography in his home. He pled guilty to every count he did actually go to court. He was sentenced to three years in prison, of which he served fifteen months, a little over one year. He completed parole in nineteen ninety two. Jeeper's Creepers became a franchise. Victor Salvam made his most recent film as of twenty fourteen, again a free and powerful man.
Speaker 2: And we won't even get into Woody Allen. Another aspect of this system of silence, the sexual abuse being so prevalent in Hollywood, did not apply solely to one type of person, not to a single age group. It was and is pervasive for decades. Allegations of sexual violence against children have just been dogging the industry, with multiple former child actors offering their own experience, their first hand knowledge of these crimes occurring, both in the past and some of it actively.
Speaker 1: For example, Elijah Wood maintains that he only managed to escape this sort of abuse due to the vigilance of his parents. One thing that is apparently common here is that often what happens when child act enter the industry, or what did happen, was that managers, producers, directors would isolate the kids from the supervision of their parents. You know, the kid would be emancipated right and work as an adult.
Speaker 4: Even that initial Spacey story where Anthony rap accused him of coming on to him inappropriately, he was a kid at the time and was at a party for this Broadway production that they were both working on, and to hear him tell, it was too young to really kind of hobnob with what some of other folks couldn't drink.
Speaker 5: So he was just sitting and watching TV.
Speaker 4: And as the night progressed, he kind of stayed there and then Spacey just sort of came in there and took advantage of him, or tried to anyway, So you know, it requires utter vigilance from parents.
Speaker 1: And so Elijah Wood counted himself very fortunate. But he said that he and his family and everyone else were fully aware of the presence of this sort of abuse on and off film sets. In an interview with The Sunday Times, Wood indicated that he believes this is a systematic, systemic and much larger than a handful of offenders operating alone. We have a quotation here where he says, clearly something major was going on in Hollywood. It was all organized. There are lots of vipers in the industry, people who only have their own interest in mind. There is a darkness in the underbelly. What burns me about these situations is that the victims cannot speak as loudly as the people in power. That's the tragedy of attempting to reveal what is happening to innocent people. They can't be squashed, but their lives have been irreparably damaged. And Corey Feldman backed up Wood's claims in twenty sixteen.
Speaker 4: Notably Yeah, he went on to say, quote, I'm not able to name names. People are frustrated, people are angry. They want to know how this is happening, but unfortunately California, conveniently enough has a statute of limitations that prevents that from happening, because if I were to go and mention anybody's name, I would be the one that would be in legal problems, and I'm the one that would be sued.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that is a terribly poignant thing that he's said there, and we're going to continue exploring this extremely dark subject afterward from our sponsor.
Speaker 1: In November of twenty seventeen, the former child actor current musician Corey Feldman spoke with Vanity Fair about his experience with child abuse in the film industry, and while he was refusing to name all of the offenders that he says he's aware of, he is planning and hoping to create a film that will, from his perspective, finally and inarguably irreversibly expose the active pedophilia rings operating in Hollywood and beyond. He does believe the abuse he and his colleagues encounter and his children caused reparable damage, and he attributes the death of his friend and fellow actor, Corey Haim in part to this abuse.
Speaker 2: And he has a quote where he says it's all connected to a bigger, darker power. I don't know how high up the chain that power goes, but I know that it probably is outside of the film industry too. It's probably in government, it's probably throughout the world in different dark aspects.
Speaker 5: And we know that this.
Speaker 1: Concept of sexual abuse rings operating had in the past been relegated to the domain of just wild alarmist conspiracy theory claims. But we also have seen in recent years with what's happening in the UK with Jimmy Seville, with the international pornography trades or rings trading pornography online. These things were something like them what Feldman is talking about do indisputably exist. And Feldman did name at least three men.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Some of those names were a child actor manager Marty Weiss, former actor John Grissom, and the owner of a place in Los Angeles called Alfie's Soda Pop Club. Alfie Hoffman was this man's name. And I did not know what this was, and I looked it up and it was basically a disco for child actors that operated for a handful of years between nineteen eighty six and nineteen eighty nine, and the whole idea was that, you know, it's clientel would be sixteen or younger, and they were able to get, you know, an alcohol free environment where they could have a dance floor and yeah, free all night, free soda pop all night. None of this sounds creepy at all, No, it.
Speaker 5: Really really does.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it was apparently a toxic environment, especially as it got later in the night. There were a lot of things that occurred after parties, that occurred even after that stuff. These are allegations that are made in several places by multiple people. The Alfie Hoffman name came up when Corey Feldman went on the Doctor Oz Show, and I guess their staff went through all of the different things that Corey Feldman has written over the years and they tried to piece together who it might possibly be this person that he keeps mentioning, and Doctor Oz showed a picture of Alfie Hoffman to Corey Felderman without showing anybody else and asked, is this the man? And Corey Feldman says yes, and then they go into a lot of these allegations that we're talking about.
Speaker 1: In his very fair interview, he said he could name six people right off the bat, So according to him, and other survivors of this. This is a systemic thing which makes it organized crime.
Speaker 4: Not only that there's a great article. Great, I guess it's probably the wrong word, but an article in Vice called Him Himself and He and it is about Corey Haim's experiences in this environment, specifically in the Soda Pop club. And as you know, Corey Ham was Corey Feldman's co star, best friend, and may or may not know also that he became penniless and addicted to drugs and pretty much died alone. I believe in a hotel in LA with no work, no career, and that systemic thing you're talking about. It's really summed up here in this quote from Ham from this video that he was part of in eighty nine, called Me, Myself and I, and it goes like this. Growing up on movie sets has its ups and its downs. I mean, sure, it's great, lots of attention, only three hours a day of school, there's makeup and wardrobe, movie premieeres, limousines. It all sounds like fun. But when you're twelve or thirteen years old, you're very, very impressionable, and I know it's easy to get off track. Like me, some of you don't have moms and dads to bring you up. I mean, let's face it, it's tough being a kid. So be smart, don't get messed up, stay in school, be anybody you want to be.
Speaker 1: Which overall is very powerful and positive message from a survivor.
Speaker 4: Yeah, except he wasn't a survivor. I mean he is ultimately this life. It's the way I see it, and tell me, you argue, tell me I'm wrong, ultimately ate him away, you know. And it's like we talk about Elijah Wood and having positive reinforcement and somebody looking after him and having his back through all this stuff. He seems like a really well adjusted human person when you see him today.
Speaker 5: That's yeah.
Speaker 1: That's why I was saying earlier that Feldman also attributed this fall. I guess what I mean by inspiring is on a personal level for him's character. It is so profound that he was able to make this a message to other people.
Speaker 5: That's very true.
Speaker 1: This is not the only video on this subject. There's a documentary named Amy Berg who addressed this ongoing scandal in her film An Open Secret, which includes statements by victims and later attempts to expose criminals within the film industry. According to supporters, factions of Hollywood conspired to stop this film from spreading, just like, just like somebody, an anonymous buyer bought that Discovery documentary that came out a few years ago about sexual abuse within the halls of government.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, that was called Conspiracy of Silence. And you can find at least most of film online if you search for it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, on YouTube.
Speaker 4: And we haven't even gotten into how this has affected politics. I mean, we're starting to see a lot more resignations and politics because of these kinds of accusations, and it actually affecting people's careers. So, you know, the pieces might move slow, but hopefully they move.
Speaker 5: In the right direction.
Speaker 1: Hopefully the old adage is true. Hopefully the wheels of justice grind slow yet exceedingly fine. And you know, I'm glad you mentioned politics here because in one of the things that people re examined when so much of this abuse came to light concerned Anita Hill and current Supreme Court Judge Clarence Thomas. And Anita Hill, going back to the earlier quote Matt brought us at the top of the show, was interrogated, right, was called a scorned woman was roundly under in the course of the investigation. And now Clarence Thomas is on the Supreme Court of the United States. He's one of the nine ring raiths that runs this democracy.
Speaker 4: And although you know, this situation was deemed consensual. Look what happened with Monica Lewinsky and Bill Clinton. And Bill Clinton was ultimately he had some egg on his face, but he ultimately was walking around today giving speeches, doing fundraisers and heading.
Speaker 5: Up the Clinton Foundation.
Speaker 4: And Lewinsky was just totally demonized and dragged through the mud and made to look like some sort of awful home wrecking, you know, demon some the five person you have to ask yourself is is in that kind of power dynamic?
Speaker 1: If that kind of power dynamic exists in an interaction, is it possible for a real consent to occur? It's you know, it's it's an inequality of power and an escape. And critics of the film An Open Secret believe it misses the mark on the importance of the abuse by presenting things in a disingenuous or misleading manner. And while that might be up to the interpretation of the person watching the film, none of the critics of the film are saying that this doesn't exist. No one in their right mind is saying that abuse does not exist in Hollywood, and I would hope no one in the right mind is arguing in twenty eighteen that abuse doesn't exist in politics. It clearly does. And as we draw this episode to a close, we do want to note that at this time, many of these accusations, these allegations, these criminal acts, have not been examined by the court system.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so just keep that in mind when you're thinking about all this stuff. They haven't seen their day in court yet.
Speaker 1: And we have some questions. We hope that we have presented this again profoundly disturbing topic in the light that it deserves, which is not a series of isolated cases. This is not a series of one person being monstrous. It is a series of multiple events occurring and multiple other people working to cover those events up, to keep them away from the public eye, to use privatize, to keep them away from the public eye, to literally conspire against victims.
Speaker 4: I was saying at the top of the show, this is the very definition of a conspiracy. We know that's what this is. There is no theory involved.
Speaker 1: Absolutely agreed and so we want to end today's episode on some questions. Do you think more revelations will follow?
Speaker 2: Yes, absolutely, and they're going to continue to follow. And I think the child sexual abuse scandal is the next thing that is going to top probably at least one entire section of the film industry. I really do think that's coming.
Speaker 1: And another question that you have asked us, folks, is what enabled these revelations to come into the public sphere. Now the records conclusively do show, after all, the multiple victims continually came forward in almost every case, only to be blacklisted and ignored. And again, we've concentrated on Hollywood here because that's where a lot of the stuff is coming from.
Speaker 5: But it would be.
Speaker 1: Dishonest to say that it is limited in any way to Hollywood.
Speaker 4: I mean, we haven't even mentioned the me too hashtag, which became not only a standard that people were able to bear for this cause, not only in the film industry, but people in general.
Speaker 5: You know, you just saw it. It just blew up on the internet.
Speaker 4: Me too, And there's this real sense of this You don't want to think about the fact that this happens to people. I was talking with my mother, I had dinner with my mother, who was an opera singer, and she experienced this kind of stuff all the time, and it was just accepted. It was like, you just keep your mouth shut. You do this, whether you're a secretary, whether you're a star. You're going to have powerful figures, typically powerful male figures that are going to take advantage of that, especially back in the sixties and seventies. As we've seen this progress. So thank god we do have these digital ways of spreading this like wildfire and finally shutting it down, or at least starting the process of shutting it down.
Speaker 2: That's what Ben said at the top. Having that message of I also experienced this and then having it amplified at that level, I think it just created a current that were allowed for it to happen.
Speaker 5: I think that's what happened, right, So what.
Speaker 1: You know, going back to that, what enabled these revelations to finally be treated I would say seriously by the mainstream media. You will hear people saying that Weinstein somehow wronged in invisible system, and then that's why he finally had to pay for his crimes. But I'm concerned that that diminishes the strength of the people who spoke up, you know what I mean, he just.
Speaker 5: Got caught in a way that you could no longer cover up.
Speaker 4: There comes a point where you reach critical mass where it's like, okay, will you weigh it?
Speaker 5: Are we gonna keep covering this up?
Speaker 4: Are we just gonna like throw this guy under the bus because he's a cancer and we can no longer support this behavior because it is not in our best interest as business people. And that's sad and gross, But that's what happens on the business side, you know, That's what I.
Speaker 2: But in a cancer analogy, wouldn't you say, Harvey Weinstein is almost like getting a biopsy, just a tiny part of it taken out.
Speaker 4: Whatever the reasoning is, having it happen is better for the body quote unquote the human condition, you know, like that's a good I don't know, but I.
Speaker 5: Do feel like it.
Speaker 4: These things only happen when it costs somebody too much money, and that's when they finally will will you know, kick someone to the curb. Someone is powerful. It's a Harvey Weinstein.
Speaker 2: And one of the other things that has to be said here is we kind of mentioned it already that it's not just in Hollywood. It's not any of these other places. It's in homes across this country, across the world. It's in you know, at bars and churches. This kind of thing is everywhere. And just having a brief conversation with my wife last night about this topic, she mentioned to me specific examples that she knew of in our circle, like our friendship circle of women who've been abused, and it is so prevalent. So lastly, and most importantly, if you or someone you know is a victim of abuse, whether sexual, physical, or otherwise, remember that there are other people who can help you. You can contact them directly. All you have to do is call one eight hundred six five six four six seven to three and you'll be connected with a trained staff member from the National Sexual Assault Telephone Hotline, and that person can help you. Right now, you are not alone.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for listening to this episode. As we as we established several times throughout the show, this is an ongoing phenomenon. So if you are listening to this at a later date, it there may be information that was not available as we were recording the show.
Speaker 2: And that's the end of this classic episode. If you have any thoughts or questions about this episode. You can get into contact with us in a number of different ways. One of the best is to give us a call. Our number is one eight three three STDWYTK. If you don't want to do that, you can and send us a good old fashioned email.
Speaker 1: We are conspiracy at iHeartRadio dot com.
Speaker 2: Stuff they don't want you to know is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.