Speaker 1: Ridiculous Histories, the production of iHeartRadio. Welcome back to the show Ridiculous Historians. Let's give it up for the man, the myth legend super producer, mister Max Williams. Sunday Sunday Sunday. We're fresh off Monster Jam. This week we're talking all about the history of sampling, which, as my good pal Nol pointed out, is very near and dear to the three of us. They called me ben Noel. This is a part two, so I guess we should tell people or ask people to sample part one first.
Speaker 2: Huh, Yes, exactly, put it on your little sampler platter, skewer it with a with a tiny toothpick.
Speaker 1: Enjoy it's it's delicious flavor. Yes, so let's let's cut. Let's cut straight to hip hop. Sampling has become inherently associated with the world of hip hop, the world of dance. It starts even before hip hop was called hip hop. It it really starts in the seventies, but the affordability of these sampling machines in the eighties becomes the and I rarely use this phrase because I hate when corporate types do it. It becomes the inflection point. It is the inflection point. Indeed. Uh, but we're talking about folks.
Speaker 2: This is this is even separate from folks who are able to all of a sudden afford those samplers that we're talking about, the NPCs and sp twelve hundreds of the world, right that might still have only been you know, affordable as a relative term. No, it wasn't the price of a fair light or a frickin melotron. But these things we were still not, you know, affordable to just anybody. But what was available to just about anybody was a turntable. Yes, it was a household item right.
Speaker 1: Right, because a lot of people have record players, because people like music. So your parents, did you know what I mean? Yea, yeah. So I want to shout out this really cool thing on Drunk History, which obviously is a show that we love. On this show, there is an interview or a story narrated by Questlove of the Roots and it's all about the invention of the scratch. Please do watch that. It's just a wonderful segment. The history spot on Questlove is a walking encyclopedia of all things hip hop. We'll talk about what you're what you've set up so beautifully for US records. There's a DJ, cool Herk. Cool Herk knows how to read a room, knows how to move a crowd. Cool Herk has one problem. He doesn't want the party to stop. So he says, I've got to figure out how to extend drum beats right, Uh in these records that I'm playing. Yeah. Functional, So he gets two records together, uh and the same months, and this the Merry Ground it's called Yeah, they're the same, they're identical records, and he mixes them together to make the drum breaks longer. And this is where we see the emergence of or one of the ingredients what you would call an MC today. MCS for the master's ceremony, right, like like in dance hall when people would make toast right, or there's a little bit of the old Grio storytelling involved there. This Yeah, this MC will come up and they're the hype person at the party. They're not the main event, the DJs the main event. They're the person who is like, oh right, everybody, you could have been anywhere tonight, but you're here. You know, we got DJ Coole hurt Uh. And there's this these intros because more ornates more elaborate, right, They become their own sort of instruments, and this is ultimately evolves into what you would call rapping. And producers love this, they love these block parties. But it's like an ice sculpture, you know what I mean. It's beautiful in the moment. How do we capture this, how do we bring it out past? You know, for you when the cops shut us down, they start making these songs.
Speaker 2: It's really interesting that you point out the relationship between the MC and the DJ, because I think this is you know, if this is early seventies, this would have been happening kind of in parallel with disco. They would have been more in like, you know, more affluent neighborhoods, you know, and maybe like midtown, downtown New York, LA. You know, all of this kind of stuff. And these these parties that you're talking about were happening in the street, like these were these were block parties, These were you know, outdoor kind of very affairs. So there was this kind of parallel track. But all what it had in common was the star of the show was recorded music. Yes, it was sort of this era of like live music was almost.
Speaker 1: Waning a little bit not waning.
Speaker 2: I mean, of course there were big you know, rock shows and stadium shows, but you would go to those to see your favorite artists.
Speaker 1: You're going to these things to dance. So going back to this, the idea of hip hop sampling again, it reminds me of this. It's just wonderful quote I heard from a vegan Japanese chef who said that she found her creativity in constraints, right, and she said, actually makes me a much better chef because I have I have restricted sort of the palette with which I can paint. And hip hop sampling comes from these limitations. Like you said earlier, you know you are forced in by necessity, right, you were forced into creativity because you can't afford a formal music education.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: You may not be able to pay the per hour rate for studio time. How you want to have a harp on your song, But do you know anyone who plays a harp? Do you know anyone who can afford a harp? Honestly, I don't know anyone who can play a harp. In twenty twenty three, I've met some people, but I don't have like a harp. Guy, I can text. I got a harp guy. Actually, it's just funny, man Like, just.
Speaker 2: Having a recording studio and working on different stuff, you end up finding people that play all kinds of different weirds. I'm not I just happen to know who plays the harp and dude, that's the thing though, to your point, Ben, that is such a niche specific discipline and to even own a harp, that is such a commitment. That is such a commitment to the one thing. Right with turntables, you could commit to everything because you can. You just buy the record and then you can like, you know, here's a little bit of this little bit of that mix it up.
Speaker 1: You don't have to have a heart.
Speaker 2: We don't even have no sax player or even a drummer because that method that you were talking about that DJ cool Hirk was doing to extend those beats. You just buy two copies of the same record, and then you can use what's called a mixer and a cross fader to juggle back and forth. When the break ends on the left side, left player, you turn it over started on the right side, and then you pick the needle back up put it on the beginning of the break again on the left side. When the right side's done, boom over to the right. You can make it completely seamless. And if you ever, I know you have been witnessed a DJ at the top of their game doing these kinds of manipulations.
Speaker 1: It is like magic. It's so incredible to behold. It's pretty cool. And there's a whole that we could do a whole episode on DJ because there are you know, as with any art form, there are controversies, right, there are different schools of thought. We should also shout out a producer, Marley Marril. This guy chopped up drum kind of like a music concrete thing, chopped up drum breaks to make new drum patterns, like you were saying, finding new repetitions and cyclical intervals in this stuff. And then we know that DJs, to your point, the DJs from particularly the South Bronx were manipulating vinyl, right, they were sampling this stuff, but they were cooking live and I think that's really that's part of the art of DJing. And again, can't cannot emphasize I'm not a fan of over hyping stuff, so I don't say it lightly ridiculous historians. I cannot emphasize how cool. That quest love story from Drunk History is you really should watch it. If you don't like it, then I don't know what to tell you. You might hate music.
Speaker 2: It's possible, but we still didn't exactly. This stuff wasn't mainstream yet. Now it was all happening in these blog parties, you know, because like I said, disco was mainstream, but they weren't sampling. Those records were made with live bands, those records, the recordings were made in the studios with five stands. Very expensive, right, and they sounded expensive, you know. But this stuff, this phenomenon was kind of happening under the radar, and they didn't really have kind of a flagship singular sound associated with them.
Speaker 1: Yet.
Speaker 2: That would change with the advent of the Sugar Hill Gang's rappers Delight, which you know, used some of these kinds of grooves and sounds and turntably, you know, manipulations and created a song that became really popular. That song and of itself is an episode because it actually there is an episode about that song on a show that I worked on called The Speed of Sound with Steve Greenberg, who kind of came up as a record executive through all these times that we're talking about, and the Sugar Hill Gang were kind of they weren't really very beloved in the up and coming hip hop community because it was kind of considered a little cliche, and and they were backed by like the Mob.
Speaker 1: It's really interesting. So check that story out in and of itself.
Speaker 2: But now you kind of have these songs starting to really break through, you know, on the airwaves.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you really do see it like this. This gets the attention of the industry eventually, right, the powers that be in the world of music, the folks who own those studios, those elaborate, high end studios where mainstream music is produced, they start getting interested in this thing. And look, we also hip hop is awesome. All three of us think hip hop is awesome, and we are very careful to note that hip hop is not the only thing happening in this realm. If you go across the pond, you see folks like Pop Will Eat Itself, Cold Cut, the Art of Noise. These are sample These are rock, pop and dance music samples that they're using. And it might not sound like hip hop, but it has some of the same branches of the family tree or roots. That's how trees grow, trees grow from roots. So yeah, Noel, you know I'm leaning on a lot of your knowledge as a multi instrumentalist. I never missed the chance to brag about your talents there. Yeah, well, thank you. You know you're really good. So I wanted to ask you, when we're talking about sampling in the world of British music in the late eighties and early nineties, is this something that a lot of people in the US would recognize stuff like popoly to itself and so on. It depends.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, the Art of Noise are a very influential kind of sample based group that could be considered sort of a proto industrial kind of group. So this is the kind of sampling where we're not necessarily talking about recognizable samples through other pieces of music. We're talking more about that sampling as an instrument unto itself. If you think about you know, Nine Inch Nails, for example, Pretty Hate Machines, the record that came out in the late eighties, the sampling on that album is mainly like the sounds of machinery and like you know, grinding gears and you know, weird textural kind of bits. So it's a way of using sampling or you know, manipulation of recorded material to add texture, to add vibe, you know, and it's not necessarily like to extend a drum break or to have some sort of loop that someone might recognize as sort of like a nod or an easter egg, like you said. And this is all in the UK where this stuff is blowing up. Pop will eat itself cold cut the art of noise. You know, as we know, the charts in the UK do not always the charts in the United States. There's a lot more kind of maybe off the beaten path sort of more unusual music that does chart very well in the UK in terms of dance music, in terms of like indie music, things like that that we maybe wouldn't It's a little different now being such a global world with the Internet and all.
Speaker 1: Of that stuff.
Speaker 2: But back in the eighties, before you had this kind of stuff, you wouldn't have even known about a lot of these artists because unless you like, you know, were really tuned into what was going on there via like zines, which are you know, d DIY kind of printed music magazines or pop culture magazines. So but now you know, we live in this totally kind of global, less isolated, but also somehow more isolated world where you kind of know about what's going on depending on where your interests lie, you know, outside of the country that you might live in. Yeah, exactly. This is a great paradox of our age, you know, and we're the average ridge music listeners always cognizant of where a sample came from the providence or whatever.
Speaker 1: Probably not, and you don't need to be to enjoy the music itself. We do know that as technology continued to develop, as these inventions, this musical equipment and gear became miniaturized, became more sophisticated and more user friendly. We go. It spread all around the world, and people were able to get increasingly precise with the samples they took. You might not have to just sample the entirety of the entirety of a song, right, take all the two to four bars of a loop. You could take individual parts from various songs. You can pick and choose. Now I just want you know, Now, I just want the sousaphone from here. Now I just want this one part of this vocal, and I want at a cappella. You can start doing that. And one great example of this and how it comes full circle is a nineteen ninety five single from Lord Finesse called Hip to the Game, wherein he samples some vocals, some ad libs really from James Brown of Augusta Fame, some drums from band called Detroit Emeralds, and then some harmonies and some melodies from Oscar Peterson and then some additional percussion from Millie and Silly. It puts all this together and synthesizes something new. And now you know, we can also talk about I think something that you and I and our pal Jeff all love the band The Avalanches.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, yeah, it was only a matter of time The Avalanches since I left you. In addition to DJ Shadows introducing are two album that really took the art of sampling in a completely different direction. Because again, while there might be little snippets within these that you might recognize, kind of like if you were real jazz head back in the day and you knew that little little blip that the saxophonist was referencing, you know, from another performer, these guys DJ Shadow and The Avalanches are what you call create diggers. These are folks that find stuff from yesteryear. You know, very esoteric records that would not have been very popular, and they slice and dice them to create something entirely new, you know. Not to mention you mentioned the idea of having a cappella vocals. When sampling became kind of the order of the day, you would have forty five single versions of dance tracks that would have an instrumental version on the B side, or maybe an a cappella version on the B side. Because anyone that knows about manipulating music, you know, if you have a recording that is vocals and everything in there, short of finding a section of it that doesn't have the vocals, everything's locked together. You can't separate it. You could use some equalization and maybe cut some of the low frequencies and maybe emphasize the vocal, but you're not going to have a purely music free version unless an artist decides to release a a cappella version, and they would only do that with the knowledge that a DJ might use that and drop it on top of another break.
Speaker 1: And I gotta tell you that to me shows the collaborative nature here because think about it, you are a musician, You're creating stuff. This still happens with a lot of hip hop, a single comes out and you'll have the version that has the verses on it, the vocals, and then you'll have that instrumental version. Because this is true, it's meant for other up and coming and sees and producers to be able to digest that music, to make it their own in some way, and it spreads your original song as well. It can be when it works, it can be a win win, and you can make new music entirely from samples.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And like like I said, there are those two records that we're talking about since I left you and introducing those records are made almost entirely out of snippets of samples. But unless you were coming to it with a deep knowledge of you know, the source material, which is I mean we're talking hundreds and hundreds of samples. This is not music made to feel necessarily referential to a specific song. It's more using this stuff to create kind of a nostalgic pastiche that just sort of is meant to be sort of bathed in, you know, it's a sonic tapestry as opposed to like here's the you know, the eight bar drum break from Funky drummer, you know, by James Brown and if you if you happen to pick out little bits, that's part of the fun too. Of course, there are whole websites like WhoSampled dot com.
Speaker 1: I'm actually on.
Speaker 2: It's phenomenal where it'll actually go through and dissect the best of.
Speaker 1: Whom at whatever internet.
Speaker 2: You know, music sleuth stability, exactly what was used, and this stuff will be combined with synthesizers and you know, drum machine sounds. But typically you know these artists like DJ Shadow is a DJ, like he is a turntablist, and you will hear scratchy kind of you know, sounds like turntable manipulation, the avalanches they use you know, records and they are DJs, but they're not like super you know, proficiently scratchy, you know DJ turntableists. They're much more producers. So you start to get into like the sampling as paint, you know, the sampling as color, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And also I like to from a creative perspective, I like to think of it as building a band in your head. You know, like these like Wallace Collection, who got sampled by Skinny on a beautiful day you guys, remember that song. That's that's a beautiful example. They they had no idea what would happened to the music they created when they were making it, and then Skinny comes along and says, hey, I wish this stuff all worked together. I think that's pretty cool, and I think it's going to continue despite the controversies we're going to talk about. I think it's going to continue because the technology continues to evolve as well, and tracks are merging seamlessly together. Like when it's It's almost like the idea that Chekhov has about being a good author. The author disappears right. The samples no longer sound like samples, and a lot of these things they just sound as though they are part of one amazingly created, eclectic, cohesive song, and anyone to our earlier point in Part one about democratization of technology and creativity, anyone with a digital audio workstation can edit and manipulate samples in their own songs today. In my opinion, one great example of sampling from our days in the trenches of podcasting is a little top secret project that we used to call the anti podcast This. I think the statute of limitations has passed, but good friend of the show, Tristan McNeil, and several of several of our producers in the family did this beautiful thing where they started taking out takes and bloopers from some of your favorite podcasters and making them into tracks. And Max were you involved with this?
Speaker 3: I was non involved with that. That was a little before my time at the company. But I have made one of the two of y'all on a recording of stuff that I want you to know. When y'all use the term that I had coin called girking, Yes, I've made the Girking that has not been released to the public. I don't think it is safe to release to the public.
Speaker 1: I don't think.
Speaker 3: I don't think iHeart would love that out in you know the world.
Speaker 1: But yes, might be our might be for our Criterion collection right when when, Yeah, when Criteria moves into podcasting. So this is where we're at now. We're now going closer to the present day. It's not just for hip hop. You will hear this in electronic music, of course, like some of your favorite house, jungle, drum and based stuff also utilizes sampling to great effect. And we can still see that evolution happening in real time, the old school hip hop producers inspired people like Ya, inspired people like Timbaland and the Neptunes, all of whom have made wonderful tracks. Putting personalities aside, They've all made wonderful tracks at one point or another. And this sampling kind of it plays a big part in defining the era of hip hop at a given at a given time, right, and now it's even now it's even becoming I would say the interval between an original song and a sample is continuing to shrink. Like in hip hop, it's not uncommon for someone to say, like jay Z's ninety nine Problems right, produced with Rick Rubin. I believe jay Z's ninety nine Problems didn't come out all that long ago in the span of history. But now it's not uncommon to hear songs coming out today where an MC verbally checks it and they talk about their ninety nine problems.
Speaker 2: Right, or the hundredth problem, or it might be because yeah, And that's where the line between sampling and kind of interpolation because very interesting because it's all, you know, in a sense, a way of kind of check name checking or sound checking pop culture, you know, and then kind of tying your thing into a history, you know, and being part of this whole conversation, because I mean, music, at the end of the day, is just another oral tradition, right.
Speaker 1: One hundred percent, which is why we shout out grio's when we talked about the early days of MC's. So this is something you have probably run into if you have ever worked in the field of audio, not even music. Okay, give you another little war story. Way back in the day, when podcasts had just become a real thing and we're no longer a twinkle in the eye of how stuff works, we were actually making podcasts, we were able to use a lot of stuff as references. You know, it hushed up the audio in the show. You may have longtime ridiculous historians. You heard us possibly do taking a law and order sound cue for Casey on the Case one of our first references, which we loved so much, and in our business we were able to we were able to describe some of this stuff as fair use, right, educational value. But as podcasting became more and more of an industry and became more and more mainstreamed, the suits started to pay attention. You could no longer have nol and Max and Ben do a rendition of you know, bone Thugs and Harmony or something, just because we thought it was funny or we thought it was cool to throw to that because there's a copyright and sampling runs into copyright issues all the time. Your favorite hip hop artists, favorite hip hop songs or albums that have samples on them. It's someone's entire to figure out how to make it okay to put that on a track.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they call it clearing samples and the opposite of cleared samples or uncleared samples. And as we know, sometimes folks will roll the dice or at least you know more when it was maybe the wild West time, which lasted a pretty good long time from the beginning of sampling, like in the eighties to when folks started to realize if they paid closer attention they could maybe make a bug because this stuff started flying highly above the radar. So yeah, there's you know, even with music licensing for podcasts. To your point, Ben, there's a whole company that you work with that we work with at iHeart to make sure that everyone's getting compensated and the use of the piece of music is agreed upon and that person has to find the holders of the copyright for two what they call sides of the of the piece of music. There's the composition copyright and then there's the actual recording right and you know, the composition is codified by you know, literal music notes on a page. If you register a copyright for a piece of music, you are submitting sheet music, right, and you're getting you know, like Lennon McCartney, whatever it might be. You know, however, you agree to divide up your royalties, you know, for songwriting credits.
Speaker 1: The recording is different than that.
Speaker 2: It is literally the copyrighted audio recording of that thing, you know, that specific version of that song. That's why you can it's a little easier to do a cover of a song because you only have to pay royalties for the composition side, and then you've made a whole new piece of music, you know, out of what would have been the recording side.
Speaker 1: And this stuff can get complicated when you're in the in the deep water, right when you're talking a lot of mainstream music, because so many people have a part to play in the creatorholders, yes, stakeholders, and it is going to be more people than you expect. It is incredibly rare for there to be a mainstream artist that has written everything, performed everything, you know what I mean, that has done everything by themselves. It's extraordinary, I would argue. So now that we're in the world of litigation of copyright, of law and order sampling, I think we can get away with that one. Yeah. Right, So you have to get permission, you have to pay these royalties or these fees. And the copyright holders who first started taking notice of this, they were aiming for folks like Public Enemy. Public Enemy used a lot of samples, and at first, in the early days of this, purchasing the rights to use a sample, it wasn't very expensive. You're still paying money, but it was like a new revenue stream for these copyright holders. And as people realized this was as they realized they had struck financial oil. Basically, the fees grew. Additional fees were added, things called rollover rates, and they started saying, okay, we will charge you not just a one time fee, but we'll charge you based on how many units, how many CDs you sold. Right, So now you're kind of incentivizing the creators not to sell as much of their song, which is weird. Well, you're basically getting points, you know.
Speaker 2: I mean, like that's what you would consider like when you do a negotiation for like a film, like as a high level actor, you negotiate for getting all I want an executive producer credit and I want X number of points you know, percentage points on the gross. So at this point you're giving away, you know, to these stakeholders a good bit of your profits.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, they're eating your lunch, as the old school, as the old school madmen of the world would say. And look, everybody knows everybody on every side of the table here. They know that in general, these artists aren't sampling stuff to play it off as their own. Nobody is hearing the Funky Drummer riff and thinking, oh, this person made that up right. It's it is an homage. It is a sample. But intentions aside. The reality is from the copyright holder perspective, these folks are still making money off of stolen work. We're bringing up Funky Drummer again because Clyde Stubblefield, the original drummer there has, as of twenty twenty three, still not received compensation for his drumming or for how it's been sampled and it's everywhere.
Speaker 2: But that's the thing, though, Ben, that's part of that recording copyright. Right, Clyde stubble Field was paid as a session musician. He doesn't have points on the back end. He's a high copyright And that's the thing that's really interesting, and it goes back to our whole conversation about collaboration and about synthesis. You know, a band like James Brown band, you know he's got these season funk kind of jazz players. A lot of that stuff is improvised. It's not like James Brown told note for note Clyde Stubblefield exactly what to play on Funky Drummer. It's called Funky Drummer because Clyde's doublefield is the funky drummer and is incredible. And he was playing completely from the heart and from you know, his intellect as a musical you know mind. This thing that then caught so many ears. Wow, this is next level. We're gonna loop this for days. And that's why it is to this day, I think one of the most sampled, you know, pieces of drumming, you know, in the history of sampling. It's like the vill Helm scream of drum, it's like the will Helm and that guy probably isn't getting paid for that either. But my point is, no one's exactly ripping off Clyde Stubblefield. He didn't make this, isn't you know, But he didn't have the power to make that, you know, to push for that at the time, because he was a hired gun and only history has proven him to have been this high water mark moment. You know that he didn't even know he was creating so and we see other examples of that as well, like in a tribe called Quest samples take a Walk on the wild Side by Lou Reed and you know that iconico that slide base or whatever, that was a session musician as well, who made that up and probably was sort of given a guideline around what to play. But he's the one who did that, and he's not getting paid for that either. And in fact, I believe that Lou Reed, in his infinite you know, crotchetiness sued, you know, can you the tribe call Quest over?
Speaker 1: Can you kick it? Can we kick it?
Speaker 2: And I think he gets every bit of royalty for that song. And do you think the guy who played that bass slimee that they sampled gets a dime of that.
Speaker 1: No, No, I hope, I don't know. Things get sticky right when money is involved. And another famous or infamous example of copyright issues would be our Pow Danger Mouse. In two thousand and four, Danger Mouse created something called the Gray Album, which was a really well done mashup end to end stem distern mashup no skips the White album with jay Z jay Z's versus from the Black Album. It was really cool. A lot of people liked it, people who didn't like it. Em I the label that owns the Beatles recordings, and they make a ton of money off this, so of course they're protective of it. They slapped him with they slapped Danger Mouse with a C and D, a cease and desist order so he couldn't release the album in a way that made him money. But this is also the era of what's called peer to peer networks, tarrantine, LimeWire, yeah, whatever help you know, And this and that is where this record found its audience, you know, I mean, and you would you would find mislabeled versions of it all the time back you know, in these days to kind of hide it from the suits or whatever.
Speaker 2: Because this was also in the days where you would have divisions of companies like EMI kind of scraping these torrent sites for pirated material, for stuff that was infringing on their copyright. And then they could, I think, subpoena your IP address from your Internet service provider and then they would serve you, the user, with a cease and desist. It was it was called something like the Web Sheriff. It was some I'm guessing bought based thing, but there had to be some human element too. And I remember this was back in the day too of like you know, people torrenting TV shows, you get them from HBO for example, for torrenting like the Sopranos or whatever.
Speaker 1: But you can't stop it.
Speaker 2: You make one person take it down, fifteen other people are gonna put it up. And that's how the gray Out album really kind of found this audience. And this is also right in the era of girl Talk. Like you mentioned girl Talk, The night Ripper of that record samples all kinds of stuff, and if I'm not mistaken, none of that stuff is cleared. And while I don't think you can get like a physical copy of that record, it's you can stream it on YouTube all day and night. You know it's hit in this way that was part of a cultural explosion.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and shout out to Jane McGrath over at How Stuff Works. Jane is an old friend of mine. Jane wrote How Music Sampling Works, which is a great look at some of the modern problems. Here. One thing that's I think kind of controversial, at least to me, probably to a lot of people. The folks who are suing for damages in copyright cases around samples, Like you said older, they're often not the people who created the thing being sampled. They are companies that have acquired the rights to the music. So now you're in a weird situation where someone made something, they put it out in the world, and then a company somehow acquired the ownership of that. They never made the music, but they are suing other people who have attempted to use or somehow profit from that. That's why a lot of times you will see mixtapes released right or something something sent beneath the radar where someone can say I wasn't profiting off that, this is just a mix for me and my friends.
Speaker 2: Well, and that's the interesting thing too. Man and maybe you have a little more clarity or max around this. Is it only copyright infringement? Can they only go after you if you're profiting from it? Like what if you just put it out on like SoundCloud and stuff? Are there people? Because technically, you know, even if something isn't making you money directly, if it blows up, even if people are getting it for free, that is money in the bank in other ways.
Speaker 1: Right yeah, requisite disclaimer, we're not lawyers, but it seems to be the case that if someone's used in the aren't paying you and you find out about it, then you can sue for damages. And if they say I didn't make any money, then they'll tell you what the Sixth Circuit Court said to jay Z. They'll say, get a license or don't sample stuff. Oh and this this Bridgeport situation.
Speaker 2: One man company. That's what you might call like a copyright troll or a patent troll. You know, someone who goes and looks for things that maybe the copyright has expired on and acquires them and then is able to sue other artists for either sampling that material or perhaps ripping off a melody you know, we know, like with blurred lines for example, which wasn't a case of sampling that was the Robin Thick song. It wasn't a case of sample produced by Pharrell of the Neptunes, which maybe mentioned also a hugely influential producer in this world. It was so similar to a Marvin Gaye song. I believe it was Marvin gay that there. That was a big issue, and I think they ended up having to give a portion of the royalties, you know, to that organized whatever, you know, whoever governs Marvin Marvin Gay's estate copyright.
Speaker 1: GE's so weird, Like remember when John Fogerty got sued for sounding too much like himself. That's insane.
Speaker 2: I don't even fully I need maybe he need you to explain that to the group, because I don't think I fully understand.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So Fogerty, you know, the lead singer and guitar player and songwriter of Creden's Clearwater Revival. He was sued for self plagiarism because the label that controlled Creden's Clearwater Revival said that a song he wrote later, not with the label, called The Old Man Down the Road sounded too much like a song Credence had made called Run Through the jungle Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it makes sense that that also, you know, it speaks to the complexity of having relationships with labels and the idea of them owning your music. We're talking about the artists now, not just other people trying to sample that music, where you can literally no longer own the creative work that you've made anymore, and to your point, be sued for doing something even that's in the vein of that. And we know that it's hard to you know, copyright the sound of a voice. But I think there was also a thing recently with a case of who's the Rick roll guy Rick Astley? I think someone Rick Astley sued somebody for doing like a sort of a jokey cover of never Going to Give You Up because he said it was like an impression and it sounded too much like him. But I don't know if that case is actually resolved yet, because that's an interesting one.
Speaker 1: The idea. You can you know, you can.
Speaker 2: Copyright a line of lyric, Perhaps you can copyright a combination of musical notes, you can copyright a recording, But can you copyright like the sound of someone's voice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Another example outside of the world of music, just audio and copyrights and trademarks and stuff. The guy from wrestling who says let's get ready to rumble is notoriously litigious, like to the point where apparently his team has shut down. I haven't confirmed this, but I heard his team shut down like a high school production. Oh yeah, I know that is.
Speaker 3: And he's like got a monopoly on it for boxing, and it's what I believe his brother does UFC also, So it's just like this one family that controls all that.
Speaker 1: M yeah, you're right, boxing excuse me, not necessarily resting, but this so people can get into these lawsuits accidentally. Right, let's do one more sample. Can I just oh, can I just double back really quickly? The case with Rick Astley, by this is super relevant. Young Gravy was a rapper. He got the rights to do an interpolation, in other words, re recording the song never Gonna Give You Up. But you did that in order to avoid having to pay, you know, for the licensing of the actual sample. So they recorded it.
Speaker 2: But the lawsuit alleges from Astley that was filed in Los Angeles Court claimed that while they did secure the rights to re record the melody and the lyrics, they recorded it too close to the original and infringed on their right of publicity by quote flagrantly impersonating Astley's voice.
Speaker 1: Right. And then here's another example to show all this is complex. This is the story of black Box. They sample the vote of someone named Loletta Holloway and they use this vocal in a song they may called Ride on Time. It's very obvious that they're using this Holloway sample from her song love Sensation, but they're creating a stutter with it. They're stuttering the vocal hook and they come out with a music video. The music video shows a model who is miming along to this altered hook. And even though black Box cleared the sample they had a licensing agreement with the label, they got a legal challenge from Holloway's lawyers because they didn't credit her vocal. They got the rights to it, but they didn't put her name in there. And so there are a lot of variables. There are a lot of not love that's term, but there are a lot of stakeholders. And the best way to put it is air on the side of caution. All the legal precedents aside which are still being made. You could argue, if you publish music that takes somebody else's work samples it without permission, you could theoretically face a legal challenge, no matter how short the sample is, no matter how obscure. Basically, I think the rule of thumb is you're more likely to have lawyers at your door if you're using a very recognizable sample, and if you're making any significant amount of money. Well, and we've.
Speaker 2: Talked a little bit about fair use, the idea of fair use, and you know, there are certain factors like parody you know, for or like you know, satire, I guess is considered a factor of fair use that could be protected. Another one is the idea of making using the work in a way that is transformative, and that refers to adding something new, to give it a kind of a recontextualize, give it a different purpose, different character, or do not substitute for the original use of the work.
Speaker 1: But here's the thing.
Speaker 2: While fair use is defense, it still means you got to go to court.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Also, also anybody associated with the legal world, any attorney who is a ridiculous historian. When you hear people who are not lawyers talking about fair use, I can only imagine that your your chest titans and your stomach drops. Because every time I've been talking about fair use with any sort of legal department, aw it, they all love it. It's not there. It's not their favorite string of words in English. So a lot of producers do get away with using unlicensed samples, right breakbeats, drum solos. There are also tons and tons of tracks that get lost in studio limbo. They never see the light of day. Fast forward several decades. Someone comes in and they say, oh wow, I really like this hook from this unreleased nineteen sixties thing, right, And they may not even know if it's cutting room floor stuff. They may not even know the original artist, and they're just like, I like this song. Imagine if it had a cool, you know, synth beat behind it. Now, you see, for for a little while there were CDs that were compilations of samples and you could just take this and do with it what you will. However, that was a pretty short lived halcyon era. Now we're talking about sample libraries, and we use these in the world of podcasting because we like it saves a lot of time and a lot of heartache to go into some kind of archive a collection of sound cues or honestly sound alike music. A lot of people use that, right, Uh did you see did you watch thirty Rock? Oh? Yeah, thirty Rock had this great this great bit. It wasn't the main part of an episode, but they had this great bit where they ran into legal issues trying to do a Joplin Yeah, Jedis Jorplin or Nick Jump jorb yeah, whatever they call it. Yeah. And this they have this hilarious depiction of the corporate side of this, wherein the person playing the character they cannot call Jaddis Joplin sings songs that have to be just different enough for them not to get sued.
Speaker 2: Well, And I think there was actually a real life example of that where Andre three thousand, no maybe he was gonna do I can't remember who ended up playing. There's Jimmy Hendrix biopic that has no Jimmy Hendrix music in it at all. And that's interesting, right, And Like, I'm actually working on a podcast about the Rolling Stones and about album Exile on Main Street and rather than you know, we could clear all the music, but it would be very expensive, and we're trying to tell a story in audio form. So I was actually lucky enough to work with a bunch of really great musicians and make it. I wouldn't call it sound alike music because it's not like this one is supposed to be a one to one for jumping Jack flash. It's more just vibey music in the you know, genre of the time, and like record it in a way that gives it that same feel, maybe similar instrumentation. But that's a lot of the kind of stuff you'll find on these libraries. And then you also will have sample libraries that are really high fidelity recordings of saying orchestra doing like oh stressful horror Q number three, right, and anyone can use it because it's cleared for that use. And usually when you sign up for one of these services there are terms of the use, and if you're not careful, you might notice that, oh, you can't actually use it in this setting. So always be careful if you're using stuff like that. And sometimes they're not cleared in perpetuity across all creation, you.
Speaker 1: Know, right, Yeah, you have to read the fine print very carefully because the fine print is where the ugly things can be hidden, especially consequences. So these sample libraries are very very useful and efficacious because they have a license, and the license may be restricted to certain usages. It may have any number of constraints a time window, for instance, or saying that this can be used, but it cannot be used in the following ways. It just goes on. When it comes to sampling music laws, you have to know the lay of the land, and you have to assume that it's possible you could accidentally cross some kind of threshold trip a legal wire of some sort. And the one of the issues that a lot of copy left proponents have, if you're familiar with the copy left movement, one of the issues they have regarding copyright protection is that it increases the barriers for up and coming artists in the world of music. It can make things incredibly difficult. Like if you're a musician in the United States, at least from what I understand, music is automatically copyrighted from the get go. You have to when you when you commit it to some medium, right you have to So you have to always assume you need permission to use someone else's work in your stuff, even if it's a tiny thing, you know what I mean. I can't believe we got through I think we've done this on purpose, But I can't believe we got through uh a two part episode and didn't mention the debacle of vanilla ice. Of course, yeah, that's probably really familiar.
Speaker 2: But that whole clip of him defending that is part and parcel of like not just not getting it right. So, no, they left out a note. You know ours is is? It repeats the note, and I think the it's under pressure by Queen and David Bowie and this is baseline and in the real one they just repeat that. They don't do the pickup note and then the vanilla ice one. I guess they added the note. I'm a little unclear. It is the sample, right, Like, it's definitely a sample. It's not just them copying that baseline and playing it differently, is it.
Speaker 1: Ah, it doesn't really matter for the purpose of this argument.
Speaker 2: But he on behind the music or whatever they was, defends it by saying, no, no, see ours is different. Yeah, ay has one extra note and that's just kind of missing the point. But what ended up happening with that? Did he have to give up a massive portion of his royalties? I think so.
Speaker 1: Actually he agreed to a private settlement. They stayed out of court because he paid to have the rights to under pressure, and then he credited both Bowie and Queen on I Sized Baby, so the songwriting credit still goes to them. That you know, that's a all's well, that ends well sort of thing, and not all of these things end well. But be on the side of the air, on the side of caution as as a creator, as a musician, because even with the best of intentions right, even if you're most people doing this aren't out for a cash grab. When you're making music, you're just inspired by something you want to share and communicate that inspiration tis a noble thing, but you gotta be careful. Unlike music licensing, to do a cover right and sell a cover, you don't have to have a sampling license. This means that the holder of the copyright doesn't have any obligation to grant you permission. The original rights holder can basically create their own playing field. They can decide the terms for clearing a sample. They can say no.
Speaker 2: Case in point to the settlement out of court with Bowie and Queen, they obviously were good sports about it relatively or that also was a little earlier on right and before maybe their lawyers would have been like, nah, we want to get points on this for like ever in all time. Apparently e ice Baby generates about half a million dollars a year, you know, in royalties.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: There are certain examples where artists who have been sampled and hasn't been cleared have pushed to the point of now they get every bit of that you know money. Ye like with the case of Walk on the wild Side by Lou Reed and a tribe called Quest.
Speaker 1: How about this one Old Crow Medicine show how they broke out with wagon Wheel that skyrocketed them to national and global acclaim. Now, of course, these guys Old Crow, they are a bunch of very talented musicians. They've had a lot of past members, but they're they're all really good. No, Trump's in the squad. Wagon Wheel is based on an unfinished Bob Dylan song, and they had to go back and work with Bob Dylan's team to make sure everything was right and not to sound too mafioso about it, to make sure everyone was made whole. Oh yeah, exactly now.
Speaker 2: And then that's you know, and that's not sampling, that's a cover or an interpolation. If you will because they kind of took it in a different direction because it was not a completed song. So it's hard to cover something that hasn't been fully you know. But as y'all can see, I mean, this whole world just has so many interesting ins and outs and we're not at the end of it by a long shot. Because now, if anything, the playing field is wide open, and that we have this wealth of records, you know, that you can get at thrift stores for no money, and interesting up andcoming artists, things like vapor Wave where people are sampling, like you know, literally there's a whole I just got this record from Poland by this artist called Macintosh. Plus I got it from Poland because it's a bootleg. You can't get this album in any sanctioned form because it's just full of uncleared samples, like you know, half speed kind of lounge music and you know, weird old like radio commercials and like that's the vapor wave things. So there are whole new musical cultures around uncleared samples. But it's all taken to the internet. Oh you know, yeah, it very much is.
Speaker 1: And here is where I think we we wrap our series for today, by which I mean we're both about to freestyle. I'm kiddet, we are going to We're gonna call it a day. This is such, This is such a journey, and it's one that continues, and we wanted to explore the origin of what we call sampling and music all the way to the modern day. Sampling will continue. Legislation is always outpaced by technology, and somewhere right now, as we record, there is a mad genius in a studio or maybe in their garage building the next breakthrough in the world of sampling, and I, for one can't wait to hear it.
Speaker 2: No, I can't either, And like you know, I am I'm not saying I am said mad genius or anything, but basically all the records that I have down in my studio are weird thrift store fines of like drum you know, drum circles and children's records with weird little melodies and stuff from the sixties. It's like political spoken word things or you know, congo bands or whatever. You know, a lot of weird cre ristian records that were made probably in very limited runs by churches. They end up in these thrift stores around the South here. But to your point, Ben I love sampling this stuff for fun. I would be very careful if I was going to release it, because even if I think no one's even maybe alive associated with this weird religious record you know from the sixties, but who knows, maybe someone is and if the song became a hit, all of a sudden that person takes notice. The fact that they committed that thing to vinyl in the sixties is proof that they own the copyright.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so be careful out there, folks. We can't wait to hear the next generation of sampling, the next generation of music concrete, big, big thanks to super producer mister Max Williams. Huge thanks to research associate Jeff Bartlett, who really whit hard in the paint on this one. And thanks to let's see who would be the most likely to sue us for copyright in frenchman Jonathan Strickland.
Speaker 2: M Yeah, well I'm not. I ain't scared. Let's in a fringe away on mister Strickland man. This is a fantastic conversation, Ben, and thanks Max for always being with us as our super producer, you know, on the ones and twos, as Ben would say, and now we know where that actually we didn't really explain the one on the one being the left turn table, two being the right turn table.
Speaker 1: There you go, There you go, folks, We'll see you next time.
Speaker 2: For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.