Speaker 1: And that's what you Really missed with Jenna.
Speaker 2: And Kevin An iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 3: Welcome to you, and That's what you Really Missed podcast our guest edition and we have a special WIM today.
Speaker 4: Josh Sussman.
Speaker 3: Jacob Ben Israel himself is here and it is a really awesome, honest conversation about his experience, and I'm just so grateful that he came on, and like, I hope that he anyway, I let you listen and we'll talk about it after.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was fully prepared to be as honest as possible and we really really appreciate it. Hope you enjoy our talk with JBI himself.
Speaker 3: Josh, Hello, it's good to see you.
Speaker 2: How's it going.
Speaker 1: I'm very happy to be here.
Speaker 4: Oh good, Well.
Speaker 3: I ran into you recently at our favorite spot, and.
Speaker 4: You are telling me.
Speaker 3: Number one, that you listened to the show, which I was very We're very grateful for, but also that you your experience on Brittany Brittany, and we were like, you have to come on the show. We've been meaning to ask you anyway, but we were waiting for like some more like juicy Jacob Ben Israel content, so and I feel like Brittany really encapsulates that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that episode was crazy, and I guess I'm gonna I prepared myself to share stories that I've never shared publicly before. Wow, just on my experience of it all, I figured it's this is the place to do it. But I'll just just to give it just a tease. I have never before that episode, I never experienced cyber bullying. And being on g Lee has been the best thing ever. But that show with what how Jacob was creepy and obviously doing a great things. I got the most terrible things written to me in large numbers, and it.
Speaker 1: Made me so sad.
Speaker 5: And that's what I've never vocalized, because who am I to complain. I'm so lucky to beyond this fantastic show. That's my favorite show and it's so good, and I just couldn't comprehend because the show would deal with anti bullying. And I'll just say, ninety nine percent of the Glee fans are just amazing. But it's online. It's I mean, I'll go into it.
Speaker 1: It was pretty just okay, I'll go right into it because this is etched in my brain.
Speaker 5: Here's a letter I received, Dear Josh Sussman, who plays Jacob in Israel.
Speaker 1: I want to punch you in the face.
Speaker 5: Never mind, I want to punch you in the so you can't ever procreate and have filthy kids like yourself. You ruined what should have been one of the best songs, Toxic. I hate you go die aby Wow.
Speaker 4: Oh Josh, I'm so sorry.
Speaker 1: And I know I'm not looking for a pity party.
Speaker 4: I'm just now, but that's horrible.
Speaker 2: The advent of like Twitter and social media becoming you know what it is today and now we know sort of how to deal with cyberboling in a way, even though it still gets us. But back then also like it was still so new, and people would go on there like they do today still and say the wildest ship and then it's like, how are you supposed to know how to deal with that?
Speaker 5: And I would read everything, which is not smart and like recket Ralph who didn't come out yet, And that's where you learn j'n't read the comments. And I was people because till that point I was People would say things and it's like nice to read, Oh I thought you were funny or nice things. But after that, yeah, and I couldn't stop because I guess, and then I was trying to find something nice and maybe but after this episode, unfortunately that usually the nice way out weighs. But this episode, and I'll be curious to listen to hear what you guys thought of it. If yeah, I'm sure I could be a cringe moment in that one.
Speaker 1: I was naked, I mean, and.
Speaker 3: It wasn't you like it was I think, I think along with the episode. It came out of nowhere and it was something that was written for you, right. It was the content that was created that you like, we had no say over what we were given, and we were felt so lucky. Who were we to speak up to, you know, against any of the things that we were doing. We're just so lucky to have a job, right, and lucky to be in in a position that we were in. So I feel you in that way of like being an actor and.
Speaker 4: Not feeling being able to like speak your peace without feeling like you're expendable and you're gonna be like tired.
Speaker 5: Well, you know, I had no issue with it. I assumed, oh, this is funny. He's pushing the envelope. I had no desire to ever say no, I mean even being naked.
Speaker 1: I was just in my trailer trying to do pushups.
Speaker 5: But then a crafty there was like a sandwich truck where you could make yourself your own sandwich.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I know.
Speaker 5: And then I was so good at making myself a sandwich. I made myself a second sandwich and I'm.
Speaker 1: Like, no, you're gonna be taked.
Speaker 5: But it's I was, Oh, they shaved me like I had hair, Oh yeah on my body, so to be I guess youthfully, that's crazy. But the only thing I was ever worried about are getting fired was I was twenty five in the first season, and I was like, I was so scared, Like what if I'm supposed to be a height I don't know. But then I wasn't the oldest one.
Speaker 1: There were a.
Speaker 5: Couple of boys old, but it was still I was like, oh, and I'm so glad now I AMDB finally lets you remove the age.
Speaker 1: But it's still everywhere else.
Speaker 3: Ye, yeah, we can't escape that. Everybody probably knows all of our ahs at this point.
Speaker 2: It's also just wild where the passion that fans have and had for the show, Like you said, most of it was overwhelmingly positive and like, we get to be on the show that is, you know, representing people who are normally not represented. However, the disparity of not being able to tell the difference when someone is just there's Josh and then there's Jbi, who was very much not you, right and in real life it's like you are the sweetest, most thoughtful person, and then you are playing this carecharacter who is very much the opposite of you. And I don't know where people get off thinking that any of that is even remotely okay to get on there and attack somebody for a role they're playing, right, Well, they.
Speaker 5: Think that there that we are so similar, and I guess when they're basing Josh Sussman, they're getting what they see in interviews, and to begin with, interviews are awkward, especially if you're not used to them. They would write, oh, your he's just as creepy as his character, or something's wrong with him, and it's like, yeah, there is no escape and yeah, and just all you could do is you to meet people in person and leave them with a great impression like oh we like the character.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's a lot we can't control.
Speaker 3: Well, I just want to say I'm sorry not I know, you're not looking for a pretty party. Like that's never acceptable. Cyberbullying should never be okay. And for somebody is just doing their job and doing it well, that's really shitty.
Speaker 4: And so it makes me very upset.
Speaker 3: Because I also like, for a long time, we would read the comments, we would troll the you know, the Perez Hilton's and the and all the different things, and at some point I had to just close my computer and say, I'm not doing it anymore because it's very harmful. And it's really hard to walk that line of like wanting to read the good things and then having to take the bad but not having to take the bad, you know. So anyway, I just want to acknowledge that and then move onward from it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because I am the Beast. Also have message boards, which they don't anymore. The show had a message board, but on my personal message board there was kick him off Glee and all this and he's so he's too creepy, it's not funny. And then here's another thing. I don't know if you know, I don't know if any of that affected my place on the show, because I was booked for an episode it was episode seven. It was Gwyneth Paltrow's first episode where she's the substitute coming in from sneezing. But it was that was filmed just shortly after that episode aired, and then all of a sudden, I had the script with my pages that I think I sneezed on either Higgins or Shuster and and I guess. Then I turned into Lauren's izies and I was like, wait, is this aftermath because this was and I don't know, they could maybe have just decided, oh, that's better if she's the sneezer and you'll get to that episode eventually.
Speaker 1: But then there was.
Speaker 5: A while where then I wasn't on it, and I was like, oh, like, not only is it one thing they could say, oh you're ugly, you're this year all blah blah blah, but is it affecting the you know, getting to come to work And that's something I'll never know, but so interesting.
Speaker 2: It's just it's so hard because you showed up and you're so good, You're very, very good. And if there's like one of the things rewatching this and I do want to talk about this too, because there's sort of our world and our experience, and then there are people like you who were on the show but not in the Glee Club and not one of the teachers, and so we didn't see a lot, but you were in so many episodes and we're just very very good, thank you. And you had to play this character that was not necessarily overly likable because you were sort of talking shit about the Glee Club and like pushing buns. But no, but it's not you. You did a great job at the job you were hired to perform exactly, And how was that for you? Because you came on the show, the show obviously became a hit, became a success, and I feel like we were around each other, but we weren't necessarily ever as close as like the Glee Club was, and like, for example, when we started getting weird things on the internet, we had each other to turn to and talk about with because we were experiencing all that together. But to have someone like you who's coming in and out of episodes, you and we didn't necessarily have that same relationship, or didn't you didn't know that, like you know, they're going through this to an extent, what is that hard being that person on the show coming in and like you were in over twenty episodes of the series, right, And that's.
Speaker 5: A great question, and it's I feel very close to Max Sadler because I feel that me and him we're in the closest similar position that maybe that me and him are the only ones in because then there's the Glee Club, who you are, the series regulars, you blew up overnight. We're the biggest stars in the world on the best TV show, and so you all have each other, and then there's also the recurrings, and it's so we're also because we're part of this in the radius of this huge show, we're all so extremely I guess have become recognizable, and it's.
Speaker 1: So strange.
Speaker 5: And I felt like there's things that I could only talk about with him, or there's other things that are relatable that we would relate.
Speaker 1: To so much that you can't talk to.
Speaker 5: But yeah, coming into the show, I was a rich I auditioned for one episode, and yeah, it's amazing that it became, like you said, over twenty episodes.
Speaker 2: You're too good. You know, you don't turn a one episode roll into over twenty by being bad and not having people like you. Because I think when you have those writers and it was just Ian, Brad and Ryan and they give you something and it's like you made it so much, probably better than what they ever could have imagined, and so it's like keep bringing them back.
Speaker 1: Well I got.
Speaker 5: I feel so lucky because I remember my first day. It was in Celibacy Club and before I even had any of my lines, we did a scene with I guess where I was Rachel's partner, and Ryan just said, tell her you enchant me, and so that wasn't in the script and so I haven't even spoken yet on camera, and so he just gave me and then she had the line I'll tell you a dirty little secret. Girls want sex just as much as boys do. And then Ryan told me to say is that accurate? And I said is that accurate? Like it wasn't in the script. So I felt like he just picked me, and so thank you Ryan. I feel like that was really great and then to get to come back. But also so I was in five of the first thirteen wow, and I only saw those scripts, so I didn't know who Quinn was pregnant with. So fun when I was watching the show, like putting together these puzzle.
Speaker 3: Pieces, that's so funny that you didn't know but you were here throughout and I'll.
Speaker 5: Just another experience, just as sort of not an outsider. But I loved the show so much so when there was the first episode of the Back nine Hello, it was going to premiere a week early at the Grove, and I wasn't thinking what a big show was. I just showed up at the Grove and it was an event that you.
Speaker 1: Guys were at.
Speaker 4: Yah.
Speaker 5: I got mobbed like never before. Security escorted me out. They throw a safety and I was put in holding with you guys.
Speaker 2: I remember seeing you there.
Speaker 5: And I always felt like, oh, I hope they don't think I'm trying to crash at the event, and I was thinking why. I was always paranoid and worried that It's like why is he here? He's such a small and always said anything or no one know that way. But I wasn't like dressed with from stylist. I wasn't prepared. I didn't know there were but that was something I accidentally got thrown into, and I was worried.
Speaker 1: You guys think why is he here? No?
Speaker 4: No, no, no, definitely not definitely.
Speaker 2: We were all just around all the time. You know, like there's it was such a little community on those stages of us filming that it was like, yeah, of course he's here.
Speaker 3: Would yeah, okay, that's really funny though, and not funny for your safety.
Speaker 4: Just not expecting that at all.
Speaker 5: And I've never experienced anything, I guess like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: But so when I was doing but for Glee, I worked on other shows and.
Speaker 2: Other things everything. By the way, if people don't know, go look at his resume. It's bonkers, Like You've just been on everything you've been doing because you are very, very talented.
Speaker 1: It's nice to say.
Speaker 5: But I started. When I did my first Glee, I had no idea. I wasn't familiar with Niptok. But I remember when I saw the first episode also a week early. It was at like high school in Santa Monica, and I was screaming and I was like, holy cow, this is like I was like, I'm a part of the best show in the world. And I resonated, like when Rachel Berry was sayings, being part of something special makes you special, like wait, I think I'm part of something special.
Speaker 4: And it was Yeah, it.
Speaker 5: Was a very special time those I think not knowing going from doing something and not knowing it.
Speaker 3: Just yeah, each episode that came, did they tell you like you might come back or did you just like not expect it or wait for the phone during and then they're like, we're coming You're coming back, Like, how did that? How did that work for you?
Speaker 1: So great question.
Speaker 5: So I waited by the phone every time. I never knew if I was going to come back. But so during all of the first episode, my name was Randy Henkis. And by the.
Speaker 1: End of Push It, or during Push It.
Speaker 5: When you Guys, when I just was in the audience watching you Guys, which was incredible. I Ryan, who was directing that episode, told me, if I see my name in future scripts, it's going to be Jacob And that was the first time I had an inkling I'm going to be back, which I then came back for the Roads Not Taken and that was very cool that they came back for Throwdown Wheels and sectionals.
Speaker 1: Right, So, but Grant.
Speaker 5: Episode you were all the best, but those are really good ones and sectionals. I got to join the Glee Club for a tiny bit, but that was short lived.
Speaker 1: But then the most exciting thing happened, and.
Speaker 5: This is another exclusive for you, guys. I auditioned for a Fox show, and then I had an audition for the producers of this Fox show, and then they wanted to test me to be a series regular on this Fox show. But then because Glee was a Fox show, they were like, wait, no, this show is new, we don't know. They ended up putting me under our contract for the back nine of season one, and that's why I show up. Sometimes it's just one line because they were obligated, so like in the back nine, that's why sometimes I'm there not even speaking like.
Speaker 1: Or just having one line.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: And that.
Speaker 5: So I was there for a certain amount of the back nine, plus what they called a series regular option for season two, which like the option spoiler alert, they didn't take the option.
Speaker 4: Like.
Speaker 5: Wow, and there was it was this whole really cool thing.
Speaker 1: As the most it was so exciting.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and I learned what option Oh okay.
Speaker 3: But there was a couple of other people who also had that same contract.
Speaker 1: That it was pretty exciting. So then season one I knew as in a certain amount.
Speaker 5: Then so for the beginning of season two, I they said, hey, we're not going to do it, but you're going to be in the first two episodes, and then I after then I was in the sixth one. But then after the fallout of the Brittany and people not liking Toxic and knowing, wait, a lot of time is going by, I don't know if I'll be back, And then I think maybe it was nine episodes later, which was felt like a long time. I did come back for a Night of Neglect, which is a weird episode. You were so amazing and how it didn't make any sense that I'm hecking new with the river. Yeah, that was like, that was one of the best things, just getting to watch when you guys were performing. And then season three I just did two episodes, and then season four I did two episodes, So those were very I guess you're thinking, wait, in the first season, the phone rang a lot. I hope I get to come back. So it was honestly, you know, yes, I didn't know, and then I just Okay, maybe that's not going to happen.
Speaker 1: But yeah, yeah, you never knew. I never my last thing.
Speaker 2: It's always such a hard position to be, like a go from being a guest star you think it's like a one episode thing to getting a series option, possible contract for the back nine and then going back to being a guest star and not knowing, and that I think people don't necessarily, I guess, with whether you're in the industry of it or not if you're not, I think people don't necessarily realize that all we want is to get to do this fun job and get to be given an opportunity. And then when you get the chance to be on a show that is successful and you're in episodes, but if you're not a regular, you never know. You never made it on any show, and it is so hard. Like I was in two episodes of a show and this filming of the second episode, some wardrobe person came up and was like, Oh, I'm so sad you're getting killed off. I had no idea, and like that happens tales all this time because you're just the experience of being on these things is so much fun, and it's like I'm just trying to like keep my head down, do good work right, and make sure no one wants to fire me for any reason, right, and like please keep bringing me back because one paycheck is great too. I love being a part of this and this is fun and it's it's tough, it's just so tough.
Speaker 1: You know, I said, okay, if I do light, light gossip.
Speaker 2: Do whatever you want.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, I won't so.
Speaker 5: In my very last episode and I won't say names. But I came back in season five one final time, and there was a cast member who asked, when after seeing why is he here?
Speaker 1: And it I mean in the script.
Speaker 5: But then that made me wonder, wait, was there a reason I'm not supposed to be here? It's been a year and a half, but like was I don't know if there was something where it was talked about now Jacob Stein, Yeah, I don't know why they said that.
Speaker 2: That sounds like their issue and not yours, which yeah, again unfortunate because we know how hard it is to come in and out at a show like that. And then again, we're not calling the shots, we're not writing things. So somebody shows up in a scene, who are we to question such things?
Speaker 3: Well exactly, and like it doesn't take just just the core pass like get you guys like made this show so like colorful and so you know, it just elevated it so much, and so just because we had the contract and we're there every day didn't mean that you guys didn't belong like.
Speaker 2: Things did come off the rails a bit in five and six first, and so sure.
Speaker 4: Everybody was a little a little honest.
Speaker 2: A lot of people.
Speaker 3: But I do hope that, like we learned very early, like make people feel comfortable when they come in. It must be so hard to come into such a massive show that has so much visibility. And we are such a tight knit crew, right we spend every day together that like, these people are coming in, that must be so hard for them. So we really did, I think, try to be more conscious of it towards like a later seasons to be welcoming to people, because we just you know, try to put ourselves in their shoes. And so I hope that you felt welcome aside from these harder you know, these individual humans who chose to not be so kind, but anyway.
Speaker 5: Always amusing that I can't believe someone would say that, or having just off the rails, I witnessed things which I can't believe.
Speaker 1: Witnessed. And then I'll tell you this.
Speaker 5: I was asked and try I was just to be convinced to try to be part of this docu series, which I said know to but they were trying to tell me, Oh, it's.
Speaker 1: Just a fun, feel good thing now, And I don't know. They were very aggressive.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't know what you're hearing, so I said, but I'm glad this is where I want to be to tell my stories.
Speaker 3: So yeah, it definitely these crazy other things that we don't really speak of, like Voltevah. We were all obviously, we were all approached about it, but it's very misleading. And so we feel like we feel more responsibility on this show to bring on the people like you who help make this show so great and to talk about the good times that we had and you know, just all the really great memories and things that you know, people have never heard from and they don't get to hear from you and Max and you know.
Speaker 4: All these great characters as much.
Speaker 3: So it's it's nice to have you and.
Speaker 2: And without trying to put a spin on it, you know, there's no sort of we're not we don't have to do that. Just your experience is your experience, because it's a gigantic community that it takes to put on a TV show, to make a TV show happen, and everyone's going to have a very different perspective of that and so it's been really fascinating and humbling to have people like you, you know, feel safe to come to give you a perspective of your experience.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Jacob, tell me Jaco, Oh my god, I did it. I did it again. I knew I was going to do it on this. I don't.
Speaker 3: It's the Jays, I think, Like I my brain sometimes is like I just want to call you, Jacob. I'm going to call you Jacob. So Jacob tell me, Josh.
Speaker 2: Put the glasses.
Speaker 4: Easy.
Speaker 3: Tell me about your experience and being recognized, like obviously the Grove was a very concentrated Glee fan event. Tell me about yours with like the Outworld, I mean, as the show blew up, what that was like for you? And then also two parter recently, do you still get recognized a lot or did you feel a resurgence when like it came back on the streamers.
Speaker 1: I don't feel like it ever really stopped. So there's I mean, there's three things.
Speaker 4: You're so rush.
Speaker 1: I have a book, my big big afro.
Speaker 5: I guess it's easy, but you know, I cut off my hair and you'll see it in the when you get to the season four.
Speaker 1: Like I buzzed cut it.
Speaker 5: That was like the biggest disguise because sometimes going to the mall or whatever was overwhelming, Like I would try not to go after con certain hours, like after cool because I get the overwhelming And then when I cut all my hair off, the recognition stopped instantly. Wow, And so then it was interesting us, Okay, I wasn't used to this, so this is nice. But then there was a time I know, it really didn't come back, and then I was like, oh, that's also because I'm not working as much or I'm not on TV as much, so I'd rather and I just want to get to act and work so badly that I realize, Okay, I'd rather have an overwhelming amount of recognition right if it means I'm working and getting to do my dream and do what I want to do. But so of the three things I'll get recognized for Drake and Josh wizards angrily, it's only always one of those three.
Speaker 1: And sometimes people come up and they don't tell you which it is.
Speaker 5: Sometimes people come up and they just put their phone in their face and want to take a selfie and they don't even say anything.
Speaker 2: Can you tell what when they come up like, what show they're going to recognize you from?
Speaker 5: Usually not, it's kind of sometimes I could guess from my least favorite or The hardest thing is when someone says, what do I know you from?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: God like that?
Speaker 5: My go to answer is, well, maybe we go to the same starbar. Because when I first moved out here, I saw someone and he looked familiar and I asked him if we knew each other and he said, well, I have a recurring role on One Tree Hill and.
Speaker 1: He said it so douchey, and I was like, I never want to be that person.
Speaker 5: So even though I think there's a ninety percent chance they know me from Glee or something else, I unless they say, hey, are you an actor? But then I still don't want to say not because I'm being poyed. But anyone is listening, Oh he's just listening his resume. Yeah I was on this, I was on that knows about I know. And then I just seem like I'm just boasting about all the things that is not Like, so if someone recognizes me at Disneyland, well I have an annual pass, so maybe it's here. But then they think, no, it's not that. But then I feel like, am I misleading them? So it's it's tougher.
Speaker 2: I do the exact same thing.
Speaker 4: Yep, I did the same respond.
Speaker 2: Exact same ways yours does. I'm like, oh, yeah, I come in here a lot, so maybe it's just around here, you know, if I'm at a Starbucks or restaurant or something exactly thing. Yeah, because we've all lived here too long and experienced too many people that.
Speaker 4: Are just sure you're right. Yes, yeah, yeah, I get that a lot.
Speaker 3: I get that actually more than like the recognition. Recently, it's like, have we met? I feel like I know you from somewhere.
Speaker 4: I'm like, maybe maybe you never know, you know what.
Speaker 5: But the weird the one that and it's been a while that I've been getting this is you were my childhood.
Speaker 1: And it's like, oh wow.
Speaker 5: The first time, and the first time I heard that was actually like ten years ago, I was like, wait what.
Speaker 2: But you're like, well, it's also my childhood, so.
Speaker 5: Exactly, So now I now it's it's very nice and I think of all the best best thing and perk of fame is that you get to make people happy. Just even by having talking to someone for a minute, you could tell it makes their whole days, Like why wouldn't you do that every time? And I'm such a fan of movies and TV. I get excited when I meet people. And I remember meeting John Stamos and I was on cloud nine talking to him and think he was so nice and so cool. Yep and wait, and then I realized that people who are excited after meeting me, Wait, am I giving them the same feeling?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 1: Wow?
Speaker 5: Like I don't feel it because I don't feel like special, but I understand that they're excited, and I just want to give them a top notch experience.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's really nice because you're a good person.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Do you have a favorite memory of being on the show?
Speaker 5: Being able to go to the Golden Globes with you guys was and those part those parties where everyone was there was like the coolest thing in the world. But and I think just from like season one, I think was a very special time, going from the obscurity of not knowing to going to the SAG Awards, going to those things and was but a favorite on set. You know, I actually had so much fun during Toxic. I didn't like the aftermath, Like that was fun watching you guys and just being silly and yelling.
Speaker 1: How much.
Speaker 4: It was very funny. We just wanted to tell you this.
Speaker 1: I hope this okay to say.
Speaker 5: I went to I guess shortly after that air there was an event for Glad at the London Hotel. It was on the rooftop and I saw Ryan there and he said, well, hello, controversy. You should have seen what I cut out. So I so somewhere there's a much more the vulgar and much more because.
Speaker 2: He was directing, so I'm sure he was getting you to do.
Speaker 4: A bunch of different things.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's fun. I don't know if they'll ever be the I don't think so. Ryan doesn't bear all of his secrets.
Speaker 5: Okay, but I like doing the interviews and that was fun. I liked, you know, my scenes with Rachel those.
Speaker 4: I really liked.
Speaker 2: You guys were good together.
Speaker 1: Kevin.
Speaker 5: Do you remember I shared a story when we were together last year in Liverpool about a love note.
Speaker 1: I got yes, and then.
Speaker 5: I remember you were saying you started cracking up, like I remember that, because what do you know?
Speaker 1: Because I don't know very much.
Speaker 2: I don't either, but I remember it happening like he you got tell tell the story.
Speaker 1: Okay, so this I've done two episodes.
Speaker 5: I'm there from my third episode, throw Down, where I have a lot of scenes with Rachel. It's the episode where I want I blackmailed her for her panties or went to write a bad review. As I get to my trailer and there's a little sticky note said I'm really looking forward to our scene and had a lipstick kiss on the note and it was signed Leah Ah. Okay, it never occurred to me that this was not from Leah. I was just thinking, oh, this seems this Jenna here laugh and people are just listening to the audio. Jenna is the video? Jenna, did you know this story?
Speaker 3: I vaguely remember this, and I vaguely remember.
Speaker 4: I'm just trying to remember who did it.
Speaker 2: I remember part of it because there was a kiss on it, right, yes, yes, red lipstick. Yes, And I remember who did that.
Speaker 5: I heard I said who it was before I heard that Amber, which I've never discussed with I don't know. I don't remember where I heard that, but I found out years later.
Speaker 1: So I'm just.
Speaker 5: Thinking, oh, okay, I didn't know if Leah liked me or not, or I didn't know like does she have a crush on me? I wondered that, like, why is she doing that? Or she just being friendly? So anyway, I go up to Leah or like I told her, I got your note. She has no idea what I'm talking about. And she was like okay. She asked, okay, what's where? What's She's waiting for the punchline because the last time I was there I told her a joke I did fun so she thought this is another one of my corny punds.
Speaker 1: But I was like no. I pulled it out of my pocket and I handed it to her.
Speaker 5: And she looks at it and she reads it. For those who are want to she grabs it. She doesn't say anything. She walks away and starts talking to it. I think someone to hear and MA up and I never heard any I never heard. She never told me she didn't write it. And I realized, huh, this was a prank someone.
Speaker 2: You were really part of the show. We were all pranking each other.
Speaker 5: So here here's the thing. Was the prank on me or was it on Leah? I used to think there was a prank on me, but then I was thinking, oh, that could be fun at Leah will make her think that the.
Speaker 2: Guy for one.
Speaker 4: It's a two hander, that's for sure.
Speaker 2: Do you remember it?
Speaker 3: Like I'm trying to remember now and I feel like I.
Speaker 2: Think it was Amber who did the kiss mark, but I don't think she wrote it. I think someone got her to kiss it.
Speaker 4: I think so too, but I actually can't remember.
Speaker 2: I'm going to do some digging.
Speaker 4: We are going to try to find out.
Speaker 3: We'll find out, yeah, but I do. I do remember witnessing this like around me. So we'll dig. We'll dig for sure.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, I want to find it. That's thirteen years later, two thousand and nine.
Speaker 2: I know, crazy right so fast?
Speaker 3: I know it really has flown and it's sad, but it's also really nice to reminisce like this.
Speaker 5: I love that it's on Disney Plus so much, and it's just so easily accessible.
Speaker 4: BALI totally. What feeling does Glee leave you with?
Speaker 5: You know, it's changed, It's an evolving thing where because it goes from you know, so much this happiness, and there was a time where there was also just a lot of sadness where when I would think about it, I would feel just very rejected, or I guess not included. I pulled a picture on my phone. I just want to show you that. Let mean, I feel like this picture thanks for your sums up my Glee experience so well. I don't know if you could see it, but it's at the Golden Globes and I'm at the coolest party in the world. But I'm very much on the outside. But I'm so happy to be there, if that makes sense. So but then I also, I mean, there was elements of not feeling included, But then as the years went by, I've also come to the understanding and realized that it's not personal that you guys are together, you know, every day in your rehearsals and singing and dancing, and you're part of this very close.
Speaker 1: And it things.
Speaker 5: So it's not so much that I'm not included. It's just that's a very extra special thing that's for you guys. And at the time, I guess it could feel like actual high school and there's clicks and so I didn't feel like I fit in. So with some of that, and then people I still you know, you see tweets and stuff and people say things still and it gets to me. But then overall last year when we went to Liverpool, which Chen, I wish you could have went to. It was That's an amazing experience that before that, I was honestly feeling I guess down just on Glee and it really, you know, lifted me up so much with the people I met and just hearing the stories of how it's affected people. So in season four, episode two, I get beaten up.
Speaker 1: By a wooden umbrella. I think, Kevin, you might have witnessed this, and.
Speaker 5: I took a massive beating, like it really hurt, but pain is temporary, film is forever. And as I'm getting beaten up, britt Heather Brittany is saying leave me alone, JBI. And sometimes if ever I post something people or go on TikTok, they'll comment leave me alone, Jbi, And then I don't. I feel like, Okay, maybe they're just quoting a line, but sometimes I feel like they hate me and like because they'll comment and something that has nothing to do with anything telling me leave them alone, or if I comments on someone else's thing, right, And that was also my least favorite scene because I really felt like I did get hurt, I was bruised, I led, And so when they you and they're like, oh, I love what he got beat up, or people are celebrating and so and I hope not now that I'm saying this on the podcast, I could imagine they'll come and leave me alone because people they want and.
Speaker 1: They know it gets under your skin. And I'm admitting I would that one specific line. But I'm I had no idea if I was going to be on this podcast, and it was so meaningful.
Speaker 5: To be included, and it really it makes me so happy and it also just raises good feelings. I'm so glad and I really I'm so yeah, I'm just beyond grateful and for it to be here with you guys.
Speaker 2: We're all on the same team and we appreciate you being here. And I wish, you know, looking back, you know what if we had, if we could have done more to make you and Max and everybody feel included all the time, and it's it's just so refreshing. I think it important for you to get to like share your experience and to trust us and to come on here and you know, spend your time talking about all this too.
Speaker 1: That to us, Yeah, and everyone was always very nice.
Speaker 5: I just want to think that I wasn't when you you guys, weren't you know, like.
Speaker 2: Me get jet is terrible.
Speaker 4: No, But I think that thank you for sharing that too.
Speaker 3: I think it's part of this podcast is like we hope that this can be healing for people, like it's healing.
Speaker 4: For us in many ways. And yeah, like Kevin said, like I wish we were in a place where we could have done more, but I don't think we were even there either.
Speaker 3: And and not to make excuses for any of it, but I think we also within our circle sometimes felt like there were clicks and we were left out. There were you know, people on the cover of things and we weren't and included in things that we weren't.
Speaker 4: And it's hard to not take that personal.
Speaker 3: It's hard to not think one, am I not I'm not enough, I'm not doing enough, I'm not the you know, the main one. Like it's it definitely gets to you, especially when you're around it all the time, and it's it's what you live and breathe, right, like it's just inevitable. But I think over time, in hindsight able to look at it like you were realizing it's not against you and something personal, but it was something that we were experiencing that was also like we, if you will, were like trauma bonded in a very honest way. You know, there was a lot that we were taking on that didn't get to you know that only these people that we saw every day understood.
Speaker 1: And so I completely get.
Speaker 2: That, just like with you and Max were you like you and Max have a very similar experience, and so it's like whether you need to, yeah, you like latch onto those people who can understand this very specific and weird experience.
Speaker 1: It was so interesting.
Speaker 5: There was another thing that because as it comes up and down or as I'm feeling good, I remember during when it was the tenth anniversary, there were some people who posted some pictures celebrating ten years, and there were two pictures that I saw that I was in and like, I wasn't tagged, and so it made me, I guess that's something that made me feel and invisible. I guess without I won't I'm not going to say names, but and I know social media is so silly, but there's some people I've.
Speaker 1: Never been acknowledged.
Speaker 5: And I know that people have so many and maybe they miss it, but I because sometimes I feel like I'm one of the run of this group. But then you don't feel and I always wondered, huh, why not? And it's like, and I could make you feel bad, but then I know that's so silly if you're paying attention to who follows.
Speaker 3: Right, But it's inevitable at our day and age and to not you know, it's like, that's that's your your feelings, you know what I mean, They're they're honest, and they're real and they're yours and that's what makes them true, you know.
Speaker 4: And so I just.
Speaker 3: Hope that you feel included and you feel that Gale couldn't have happened without all of us and you. So I really do hope that we can kind of lift you up and give you those better memories and good feelings, because I mean, I've got a plenty of shitting feelings throughout this show, but I also have so many good that they outweigh those, And so I hope that you feel bad.
Speaker 5: And the most amazing thing when you watch the show. Or in twenty twenty, I durned Quarantine, I rewatched and it's so good and I think that it's easy to forget or just with so many years, but it's like, damn, this show is so good. Okay, I really do want to pride myself. I'm being a positive person. I feel like I'm not being as positive, but I'm just I guess it's therapeutic that I'm.
Speaker 2: Starting to get it out.
Speaker 3: No, definitely, things we feel your appreciation truly, like don't I don't feel like you're complaining.
Speaker 4: You're on here complaining. I do feel your appreciation for everything.
Speaker 5: One of the big men, the biggest, I guess, or sadness is or the final sadness. I know in the second to last episode it was called two thousand and nine, and they went back to like the first season and everyone was back and I wasn't and it's so and so, and that left me with sad feelings because I think, okay, I understand maybe you know the character was creepy or with it ever, but that it felt like.
Speaker 2: Everyone was back, and yeah, of course that's how do you not take that personally?
Speaker 5: That's it, right, And I don't know why, and it's but overall it's an amazing, amazing experience. But it's all just like anyone, like a human, your emotions they're off, they're down, and you know, back and forth, but overall, I'm a happy person. I love I love being on the show, and I wish we got to do more together on it, and.
Speaker 3: Same, I know, I know, Well, it's fun to rewatch and to really appreciate as a viewer versus like a cast member, and being able to appreciate the performances that everybody that we weren't didn't get to see as much an experience on set.
Speaker 4: And and you're one of those.
Speaker 3: It's like really to to watch the satire and and and acknowledge it as the satire that it is and and watch you like in your element.
Speaker 4: It's really great. And so's just really.
Speaker 2: Grappy have you to have to watch, you know, an actor be put in positions like having to be naked across from Jane Lynch is not an easy thing to do in regardless of what the assholes online say to you. I know you and did an incredible job and so that's all that's all you can control. That's all you can do is do the best at your job. And you were. You did that over again.
Speaker 5: Tell something to I want to get something else out there that the butt sweat on the that was not my butt sweat great because yeah, I got so criticized for how gross my butt sweat is.
Speaker 1: Not Ja that is, there was no it was special effects.
Speaker 2: People need to know, none of us are our characters. We look like our characters, but none of us are these actual characters. We are hired to play actors. There are props, there are teams who take care of these whole things like fake butt sweat, So leave him alone.
Speaker 3: Josh. We're just thank you for coming on, thank you for being so honest with us, thank you for sharing your experience, and also thank you for being.
Speaker 4: A part of the show. And we're just you know, I hope.
Speaker 3: I run into you again at our favorite place.
Speaker 4: But it was really love please, amazing, really good.
Speaker 3: I'm really no, I just it's really great to talk to you. I'm really happy to have you, so thank you.
Speaker 2: And being in Liverpool with you last year was a really great and special experience. And if any of those people are listening, you are the nicest bunch of people we could have ever spent time with that weekend and it was great and it was great to spend some time with you as well, Josh.
Speaker 5: I loved it was really the highlight of my twenty twenty two.
Speaker 2: For real, it was great. I had never been to Liverpool and just like the nicest, nicest people and all this Glee folks got to hang out for a couple of days. It was great. I'm jealous you were having a baby. It's fine, you're doing bigger and better.
Speaker 3: Very pregnant, and there was no world in which I was making it even though for an hour.
Speaker 4: Well we're we're so happy to have you. And look there's a ladybug. It's good luck and it's so cute. Anyway, John, thank you so.
Speaker 2: Much, Thank you, Josh. It's so good to see you.
Speaker 1: Thank you. Great to see you, guys. This is really nice.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 3: I hope that you guys appreciated his homisty as much as we did. Yes, because it makes me it's almost sad to think that he felt like he was on the outside, but also grateful that he had was he was able to share his piece and his you know, his experience, and you know, like all of us have kind of had like the peaks and valleys of emotions over the course.
Speaker 2: Simply and you know, when you get on a show that will be watched by people, it is a double edged sword. It's great to be a part of something that is being enjoyed by millions of people around the world, But at the same time, you are going to run in to a small portion of people who are terrible and say crazy, crazy things to you online, and that's just never okay. And Josh is like one of the sweetest, sweetest people and talented people, and you know, just remember that the people you're watching on screen are real humans with real feelings, and just because they're playing a character that you may not like doesn't mean that it cannot feel personal when you attack him. So remember that. Thank you Josh so much for coming on and being so honest, and big love to him because he's just a gem.
Speaker 4: That's what you really missed.
Speaker 2: See you next time. Thanks for listening, and follow us on Instagram at and that's what you really miss pod. Make sure to write us a review and leave us five stars. See you next time.