Speaker 1: Ridiculous History is a production of iHeartRadio. Welcome back to the show, Ridiculous Historians. Thank you, as always so much for tuning in. Let's give it up for the one and only super producer, mister Max Williams.
Speaker 2: Shut up, Noel.
Speaker 1: What's your favorite font?
Speaker 2: Oh? Papyrus obviously, yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah. If someone asked me, Ben, what's your favorite font, I gotta tell you I would not have a good answer I have. We both have a lot of very accomplished graphic design friends, and I think all three of us right, and graphic designers are pretty sensitive about fonts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure. Seraphs. No seraphs, you know, my god, don't even get me started on turning. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I briefly sort of had a dalliance working in a graphic design company doing video stuff, and that's when I learned terms like like kerning and seraphs. I was just mainly taking elements that the actual graphic designers did and then converting them into like after effects animations. You know, we're text on screen for video type stuff. But anytime I made any adjustments to things like kerning in the design they sent me, for whatever reason, they clocked it instantly.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, they got a spidery sense for me. And there needs to be some sort of discipline right for this conveyance of information. Look, no matter what language you speak, no matter where you live, in this wide world of ours, you are constantly inundated by type, by letters, by messages, by communication from some other thing to you. We played a dangerous and a weird game that max you would love back on stuff they don't want you to know. We're talking about insidious patterns of advertising. And this was a number of years ago. We tried to count how many ads we saw in twenty four hours. Everyone trying to play this game lost count.
Speaker 2: No one won.
Speaker 1: There are just too many type is everywhere.
Speaker 3: And that speaks to some of the tricksy methods that go into type setting. I use that as kind of an outdated term. Perhaps a font would be more the proper term now in the era of kind of digital graph design. But in the old days it was called a type set because it was literally a set of metal letters that were used on a printing press. You know, for every single letter that there was a type setter who had to go in and place those puzzle pieces in, you know, for every single page of a publication. Right, But you know, when we're seeing advertisements that make creative use of fonts, we always come back to Chick fil A.
Speaker 2: You know, think what you will up?
Speaker 3: Their politics whatever their ad campaigns are on point because they capitalize out a phenomenon that I believe is called disfluency, where because of their whole misspelling and kind of childlike handwritten signs, your eyes linger on it longer because it's sort of a puzzle to solve.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, just so in the world of Chick fil A, cows want you to focus your genocidal tendencies on chickens, right, and so okay, this type is everywhere. Font or typeface is a crucial part of how we encounter information when we read it. And if you think back now, just through your day before you tuned in to this episode, you will have probably seen multiple different fonts in one instance or another, and they do affect us psychologically. But we rarely ask where these fonts came from. What's the providence, what's their origin story? This is a question that has haunted our good friend and research associate, Jeff Bartlett. So, Jeff, this one's this one's for you. He went to the mat on this. He's in the trenches with us, Sarah or Sands. This is a two part episode.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we're not just talking about the providence of every run of the mill type font. We're specifically talking about fonts that have gotten, for better or worse, a bad.
Speaker 2: Reputation, you know, whether from a.
Speaker 3: Design perspective, a legibility perspective, or just kind of a bad taste perspective.
Speaker 2: So we were talking off air.
Speaker 3: The original title of this was stupid fucking fonts Lead me on that Max, but it changed, you know, because it's a family show to the fonts we love to hate. And I was joking when I said Papyrus. There's a really great that is, you know, among some of the one of the most hated fonts out there. And there's an amazing sketch or like a digital short on SNL with Ryan Gosling where he comes to the realization that the logo for the multi gazillion dollar grossing film Avatar from James Cameron. The text is literally just papyrus, which is kind of this, you know, it's meant to evoke feelings, I guess of like mystical ancient Egyptian tombs.
Speaker 1: It doesn't even really do to feel like you're reading a scroll. Yeah, all right, yeah, early early nineties video games loved it. Lots lots of blogs in the two thousands loved it.
Speaker 2: And in the short he kind of has an existential crisis.
Speaker 3: I'm like, you know, some designer, if you can even call them that, just highlighted the text and scrolled down and like a child pulling flowers.
Speaker 2: Off of trees as he passes.
Speaker 3: Willy Nilly just selected papyrus and hit you know, print.
Speaker 1: And I want to give it a shout out to my second favorite discourse about fonts, ever, which is from McSweeney's. All you have to do is, uh, since we're beeping already in this episode, all you have to do is type in the phrase I'm comic sands ask yeah, and you'll be in for a ride. So okay, I said typeface, I said font. They're a little bit different. Let's clarify the terminology here with some help from Ashworth. Creative typography is the art of creating letters that we use every day in any language. You design them. You decide what the A or the Z always looks like. And a font is a collection or set of those things. So they include the all the little garnishes of this weird English language, the semi colons, the dashes, the interrogatives and exclamations. So the typeface is the design you see, it's the style and look of a specific font. And you know, you raise a great point there, and Noel, the way the letters look play such a mission critical role in how people encounter the thing. Like imagine, okay, I was thinking about this. Imagine if you woke up one day, you're driving in traffic and all the road signs are in papyrus font.
Speaker 2: I would think I was having a stroke and entering some sort of fugue state.
Speaker 1: Most pretentious stop sign ever, it would be disgusted.
Speaker 3: Or even even worse or more chaotic would be you know, comic sands like as the whole world just gone stupid, you know, like that would be the implication there. Yeah, it's very interesting, Like the idea of the medium being the message right one hundred percent contained within the design aesthetic right of these fonts. There's a certain amount of intent communicated to the to the consumer, to the to the viewer, the reader or whatever, you know, whether they're wanting to an ad campaign or whatever, a sign, let's say, or a document, you know, like a legal document. They're going to have style guides, you know, for various law firms, like in terms of how they space things. You know that the font they use, you know, what words or headings are highlighted, you know how, because it's all meant to convey a sense of professionalism, but also a little bit of like this is our style. But when you're doing like let's say, a poster for a movie or you know, advertisement for a product, are you trying to convey a sense of fun, excitement, danger perhaps.
Speaker 1: Or normality exactly or consequence. So this week we wanted to hang out and talk about not all fonts, not the necessarily the history of all fonts hashtag not all fons, hashtag not all fonts, or hashtag no tall fonts. English is so weird, it's We wanted to talk about the fonts that get hated on. We named some of them. You know, there's this sort of feedback loop in this the age of ubiquitous communication. Anything that becomes too popular too quickly inevitably gets haters. So on behalf of these very hated fonts, We're gonna say condolences to haters. Let's learn more about their history. Nola, you set up comic Sands beautifully. Let's talk about comic sands. I can't believe I'm saying this. I thought originally we're digging in on this. I thought comic Sans made in nineteen ninety four. That's pretty recent. And I was politely diplomatically reminded that nineteen ninety four was a long long time ago.
Speaker 2: It is. Yeah, it's weird to think, right the nineties.
Speaker 3: You know, they're like children now again, say children who are able to vote and.
Speaker 2: Like buy alcohol who were born in the nineties. It's weird, man.
Speaker 3: They just keep you know, we just keep getting older and they stay the same age. No, they get older too. Max is well one hundred percent, and there's nothing wrong with that. Max, go with God.
Speaker 2: We wish you the very best, at least in the early nineties ninety one. So I'm like, you know, I had a tape a set player in my car.
Speaker 3: Oh, okay, bully for you, young Max, Bully for you.
Speaker 2: You know, why is that? Why is that the street cred?
Speaker 1: You'd have a phonograph in your car?
Speaker 2: Get it? You have an eight track? Come on. But no, But here's the thing. I mean the nineties.
Speaker 3: Of course, you know, as you can see with pop culture and stuff, anytime a new decade begins, it's basically kind of a trickle down remnants of the previous decade. So, honestly, Max, the early nineties still very much felt like the eighties. So, uh, you're good in my book, buddy, you're good in my book.
Speaker 1: So Comic Sands, there's this guy, his name's Vincent Knarre con n ar E. He designs Comic Sands, which is a sort of thicker line for the letters, and it doesn't have seraphs. You've heard us use the phrase seraph. A seraf is the little deally bopped yeah, that goes on the edges of letters in other fonts. Times New Roman loves a seraph.
Speaker 3: It can kind of make things feel a little more adorned. Perhaps they're a little more ornamental, or in the case of Times New Roman, almost give the sense of that you might have gotten from like a stone cut type type faces carved.
Speaker 1: That's the idea. Yeah, that's great, that's a good way to put it. It's just that slight projection, that slight protuberance off the stroke of a letter.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and so it makes me think of something naughty, I don't know what.
Speaker 1: So so apparently our pal Vinson said, no naughty protuberances in my thoughts, and this was he designed it based off the fantastic craft of letterers a hand.
Speaker 2: Yeah, comic books in the world, comic comscripts.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, if anyone out there's a fanographic novels, comic books, whatever, you'll know that there is a credited letterer. And that in comics like for example, in The Sandman, which I think we all love, the text in the speech bubbles for Morpheus look a certain way that like have this kind of dreamy quality like everything he's saying, Even the bubbles themselves are a little jagged on the edges, and the text looks like ancient. And then you know, texts from other speakers might just be more of that normal kind of that traditional comic lettering, which, like you said, is very sans Saraphi. But what if we took that that craft of hand lettering and just kind of slapped it into a font set and called it a day.
Speaker 2: Who's gonna stop us?
Speaker 3: God? Anyway, So some people just want to watch the world burn, then, right, right agents to chaos.
Speaker 1: So there's an excellent article in the Guardian how we made the typeface comic Sands, and it has an interview with our pal Vincent, and Vincent gives first hand reporting of how he figured this out. He says, I was working for Microsoft's typography team and they had a lot of dealings with people from other applications in Karta, which was a thing, creative writer, which was a thing.
Speaker 2: Cardo was Maps, right, I.
Speaker 1: Believe, so yeah, Maps Learning, Encyclopedia publisher. And so Vincent's in this weird situation because all these different stakeholders went all kinds of different fonts, and he says a lot of these fonts felt strange and childlike to him. One program was called Microsoft Bob Bob and here's why.
Speaker 2: Here's why.
Speaker 1: Apparently Microsoft Bob was a program designed to make computers more accessible, less intimidating to children. And he he said, let's give you the quote. He says, I booted it up and outwalked this cartoon dog talking with a speech bubble in Times New Roman and then Vincent says, dogs don't talk in Times New Roman. Conceptually, it made no sense, which I don't know how to explain it, but I get it. I don't feel like dogs speak in Times New Roman.
Speaker 3: No, you're right, absolutely, especially what I guess would be considered a cartoon dog. Right, a cartoon dog was speaking the language of cartoons.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so we said, yeah, maybe my Senta Stasia is coming out here, but maybe Vincent has Sena Stasia. But I totally get it, and I think we all do. So he says he had this idea to make a comic style text and he started looking at Dark Knight Returns, Awesome Watchmen, the graphic novels of the class stations.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Dark Knight Returns is I believe Frank Miller, very cool, stylized noir, gritty Batman story and obviously Watchman, hugely important graphic novel series by Alan Moore, The Notorious League, Cranky and witchy Alan Moore. But again, excellent examples of exactly what we're talking about in those like using the fonts and using the hand lettering style in ways to kind of speak to the characters and their motivations. So, you know, to our typographer his point, Vincent Kunnair's no, a cartoon dog wouldn't speak in Times New Romans He's right. Conceptually, it needed to be something that felt like congruous.
Speaker 1: Right mm hmmm, yeah, yeah, and points for congruis though.
Speaker 3: We're having a wordy day, we're having word we're talking about letters. We're going to drop some words because you know. It's also remember too that in these these days, these fonts all had to be installed on your computer, and they still do to a degree if you're doing design stuff. Now, you know a lot of things are just rendered graphics that are like vector based, and you don't necessarily always have to have the fonts installed to see, you know, stuff on the internet. You know it might, yeah, but in these days you absolutely did. And so they had to create it couldn't just be a design element that was hard baked into the you know, the actual design. They had to make something that would be installed on every system.
Speaker 1: And Vincent says, he's looking at these graphic novels. He loves the hand lettering, he loves the consistency of it, and I suspect the disfluency to a larger He says, I could have just scanned it in and I could have copied what they were doing, but it felt unethical. So he looked at specific letters over and over again, different instances of them, and he mimicked them on his computer. He didn't sketch it, he said, it was just me drawing with a mouse, deleting whatever was wrong. And while he was doing that, he was breaking all the rules of orthodox typography. So like one of the one of the old school rules for creating a font or a typeface is the idea that there should be a certain symmetry. Your ps are gonna your lower case ps are going to look like your lowercase cues with just turned in different directions. And Max, thank you for the hand signals there. It's sad that we're just an audio show for now. But Max is doing a great, a great gesture interpretation of this, and so our buddy Vincent. He says, no, I like this disfluency. I want I want the P and the queue to look different. And he doesn't get there in time for Microsoft Bob, but he says, this is what's nuts. A lot of people don't know this about comic Sands. When it first came out, a lot of people in Microsoft loved it. It felt fun, you know, zippy. It was bang pal kaboom kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 3: It kind of made you feel like you were able to communicate the same sort of excitement and whimsy as you know comic.
Speaker 1: Strips, and and Vincent says, this is not us, This is coming straight from Vincent. He says, our office administrators started using the font. Even though it didn't make it into Microsoft Bob. They started using it in internal email for birthday parties, for a little get togethers, and comic Sands was just fun if it, you know, you get an email, it's in a different font, and it's it's not asking you to turn in some work. It's not reminding you about a deadline. It's saying, hey, we're getting we're getting together. You know, we're gonna have some like casadillas or something, because that defines a party.
Speaker 3: To me, And uh, ain't no party like a Casadia party, because the Casadia party goes hot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it goes around like a clock. Oh my god, they're so great. They're so great anyway, So eventually this becomes so internally popular that they include comic Sands in Windows ninety five, and Vincent says he begins to see it everywhere, and then the backlash began.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and like it's because, like you said, Ben, anything that has a sense of over adoption, let's just call it. You know, it's going to start having some backlash. But a lot of the backlash also just had to do with people kind of misusing the font right in ways that wasn't appropriate. Because remember, like we said, you know, sometimes that font set is used to communicate like a certain emotion or idea. So what if, like you said earlier, too, Ben, all the traffic signs were in comic sands, it would impart a certain lack of authority to those those things, you know that you were supposed to fear or at the very least pay attention to, not a birthday party invitation.
Speaker 2: Right right?
Speaker 1: I like that because now we're picturing, I know, all of us listening today, we're picturing different fonts on traffic signs, and that is such a trip right now, a Pyrus comic sands.
Speaker 2: Dare I say wing ding?
Speaker 1: People would die?
Speaker 3: I want to know more about the history of wing dings, who came up with those and who has ever used them success? I guess they're kind of just early clip art if you think about it. You know, use the little pointing hands as borders in your newsletter, whoever it might be.
Speaker 1: Oh, we'll get the wing ding. That might be part two, but we'll get the wing ding. We want to sew up comic Sands here real quick. Vincent's a good guy, smart dude. He made a cool thought. He's proud of it, but he I don't know. It just stinks to make something on a lark, something fun, something communicative, and then have people band together and bond not because they like what you made, but because they hate it. It didn't take long for a group called ban Comic Sands to form, and their whole thing was that they wanted to educate people about the uses of typeface. Though in their defense they did They did email Vince earlier and ask him if it was okay for them to start the group, and he's so interesting. Yeah, he said it seems silly, but you know, go nuts with it.
Speaker 3: Well, because he cared about the use as well, like he was very key to There's a really great quote from him saying, you know, when people use it inappropriately, if they don't understand how type works, it won't have any power or meaning to them. He describes a guy at a roth Coo art show. Rothko, you know who does a lot of like assembly kind of you know, collage pieces. And you know, we've always heard, we've heard of this about this guy. Say I could have done that, you know, yeah, but you didn't do that. And just because something maybe seems rough hewn like. For example, Van Go's art style is very you know, childlike in many ways. But that's a man who who comes from a background of classical style painting. He chose stylistically to present the work that he presented. And the same with Rothko. And that's because style matters. Style is a communication tool onto itself, beyond the words that are actually being typed.
Speaker 1: And let's make space for an anecdote that Vincing gives us. That's so cool. In his personal life, he used comic Sands one time. He said he was having trouble changing his broadband provider, so he wrote to them and he sent the He sent the letter in comic Sands and it said how disappointed he was, and he got he got a refund.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: He said, I recommend it for these cases, his basic theory being the following. He says, typography should not shout, but comic sands shouts.
Speaker 2: I agree with it.
Speaker 1: I don't know, maybe like should we start sending important emails.
Speaker 2: Like at our day Jame memos.
Speaker 3: During this recording, we're gonna We're gonna send No one is gonna take you seriously.
Speaker 2: Max takes me serious. Now, oh come, now you're very seriously.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you should see that guy at Monster Jam.
Speaker 2: He's in it.
Speaker 1: Uh so, he says that he being Vincent, the creator of Comic Sands, says that people did take to it on their own. He said it didn't take any marketing from Microsoft, and it often gets misused in the creator's opinion, because someone just digs it they vibe with it. He says, Uh, you know, he's very clear that Comic Sands is not, in his opinion appropriate for all things. There was a slideshow at CERN right like a a deck basically where they announced the discovery of the Higgs Boson, huge moment in physics, huge moment in human history. The presentation was in Comic Sands, and even Vincent, the guy who made Comic Sands a thing, saw that and thought, hm, tut.
Speaker 3: And that's the thing that's so interesting about this. I mean this, Vincent is a typographer. You know, he is someone who is very well read on the rules, you know, and like you said, Ben, when he was making the font, he actively ignored those rules on purpose to achieve a result. And then because it just became so obnoxiously ubiquitous, people using this font, you know, not really understanding its power. Like we said, it became hated. And I'll tell you in particular because of the very reasons that Vincent outlines. And he knows this particularly hated by designers because they just find it to be just cliche, and not to mention that he broke all the rules of the aesthetic of it, so they just find it to be kind of just gaudy and just you know, he just it makes them cringe.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, it's it's very in vogue to dislike that font in particular. And we want to give a shout out to David cadavi Over on design for hackers dot com. He he knows something I thought was pretty insightful. He said to he's a Comic Sans hater. Sorry, David, it's fine. Your opinions are your own. He says that Comic Sans has poor fundamentals, and he compares it to a much more beloved font called Helvetica, and Helvetica has like you can pull these up if you want to play along home. Helvetica feels much more distinguished, you know, much more more uh, much more proper. Max obviously hates it. Max is not a Helvetica guy, uh and and Noel, maybe you could describe just the vibe of Helvetica. I think when we talk thoughts, we're talking vibes, right.
Speaker 3: We super are Helvetica is just it's it's very clean, right, it's very legible. It is also it's it's both clean and bold. Right, it has this imparts authority to it, very European. Yeah, he describes it as as such. Though the strokes of Helvetica's letter forms are unmodulated, some adjustments are made to improve it legibility. For example, notice how the stroke on Helvetica gets thinner or the shoulder meets the stem on this letter and he's like in lowercase R as well, one hundred percent, So this helps to give the letter and more even visual weight. Notice how Comic Sands is this way. If you squit your eyes, though, there is a disproportionately heavy area where these strokes meet on Comic Sands. Well, how Vetica's way is more evenly distributed. The ironic thing about this destinction is that comic Sands is actually influenced from a drawing tool around felt tipped pen or marker, but the stroke of the tool is unmodulated. Meanwhile, the letter forms of Helvetica are rationalized from predecessors without apparent influence of a drawing tool.
Speaker 1: Deep water. Yeah we're in deep water. We're under the hood on fonts.
Speaker 3: And we're gonna move on to other font surely. But I just wanted to end this segment. I thought we could read off a couple of things that might be on the poster for the Comic Sands Sucks movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, these are coming from pre pressure dot com. How about we round robin, you can do it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the AOL of fonts.
Speaker 2: Max.
Speaker 1: I can't wait for the sound user gobbet Zip's is the dirt bastard of the same world.
Speaker 3: An email written in this font makes the sender seem ridiculous and out of touch.
Speaker 1: I honestly think when I see comics hands that the person has a lower than average intelligence level.
Speaker 3: It's not that it's a terrible font, it's rather that it suits non designers far better than those of the sense of the esthetic with like.
Speaker 2: Gol. That's the snobbiest quote I've ever round.
Speaker 1: I don't want to hang out with that person. Can you imagine them talking about beer or coffee?
Speaker 3: And again, I think we're all fans of design here. You know, we're all fans of aesthetic, and obviously we wouldn't like write our emails and comic sands either. But the level of venom attached to it I find kind of mind boggling, and I find it performative. It is a little bit yeah, I think so too, as are a lot of things, because again, you know, fonts are designed to do a thing, and I think Jeff did a fantastic job in finding us some really cool contexts from the creator himself, who is very much a student of font of typography, of design, who made this for a very specific reason that you could argue he did successfully. But then it's like the way it gets misused and misappropriated that create the hate.
Speaker 1: And you know what, if anybody listening today, fellow ridiculous historians, if you are a letterer, if you are a designer, if you are beefed up with comic sands, you know all thet to you, We're just giving you the facts. We also have to point out, in all fairness, folks, you're obsessed with it, You're fascinated by it. We are making this a two part episode because we needed to spend the first part on comic sands.
Speaker 2: I mean, come on, right, no, back me up here.
Speaker 3: Well, not only on comic Sands, but I think we had to set the stage for the whole larger conversation, you know, talking a bit about just the history of fonts and all of that stuff. And then within the conversation of comic Sans, I think we kind of hopefully established sort of a bigger framework as to where we're heading. So we're gonna make part two a little bit more of a grab bag. So maybe part one would be, like, you know, fonts we love to hate. Part one the comic Sans story.
Speaker 2: There we go.
Speaker 1: I also, I've got to figure out a way to publish this and play with thoughts. I don't know if we could. I don't know if the technology is there yet, but if it is, uh, prepare, prepare to be uh. You know, we hope you give you We give you a chuckle. We also hope that you tune in for our further exploration of fonts. Big big thanks to super producer mister Max wing Ding Williams, Big big thanks to our research associate Jeff San Sarah Bartlett. I'm just I'm passing out font nicknames, NOL, what do you what's a good win for Jonathan Strickland got.
Speaker 2: To be Oh, the put me on the spot. I don't know enough fought names. I'm not a font nerd. I'm excited to to dig into some more though, on the next episode. We'll see you next time, folks.
Speaker 3: For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.