Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to season two eighty six, Episode three of Dely's Like Ice Day production of iHeartRadio. This is a podcast where we take a deep dive into America's shared consciousness. It is Wednesday, May tenth, twenty twenty three.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, World Loopers Day, World Loops Day, National Lipid Day, National third Shift Workers' Day, National Shrimp Day, National School Nurse Day.
Speaker 3: Oh shout out missus Lee, the school nurse who I'd always.
Speaker 2: Pretend to have a headache just so I could go there and then I could get like water, juice, just.
Speaker 4: A little attention, a little TLC.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean that's what the school nurse is for, you know what I mean. They're kind of like, you're like I don't want to do this right now. I think I hit my head. And then they just give you a bag of ice and then you would just eat the ice bag.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that would eat the ice bag.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, you would feign like an impact even though like no, no, no, because I remember in the nurse's office they had a big ice machine. So then if like when kids bump their heads and stuff, they would just take like a like a plastic bag, like baggy give you a scoop of ice and then you put that on your like boo boo. But really, when it was hot in the valley, I would do that and just eat like I would just let the bag mountain and then just eat the leftover.
Speaker 4: Water in the back.
Speaker 3: Anyway, shout out school nurses. And also it's National.
Speaker 4: Clean up your Room Day.
Speaker 1: Clean up your damn room, kid, make your bed, clean up your room.
Speaker 3: Were you a big clean up your room kind of person?
Speaker 4: Like, like was I told to clean up my room?
Speaker 2: Were you? Were you good? Actually?
Speaker 1: Were you a sloppy sloppy baby, big time sloppy boy, big time sloppy jalopy on this side of yeah yeah the cat so yeah, And then I.
Speaker 4: Remained sloppy, like it's it's a battle for sure.
Speaker 2: Parenthood has actually made me less sloppy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean it does by necessity, but right, but I guess.
Speaker 2: When you're already like at extreme sloppiness, just going a few degrees back, you're still kind of in the sloppy category. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I like to take my clothes off and just leave them where they lay, like where I you know, took them off in my closet.
Speaker 2: Oh her majesty calls it the clothes pile. Got I have by the bed because I can like just disrobe in a very efficient way. And then I'm like, I don't put my clothes away until the morning, and she's like, she calls it the clopa. This is getting out of control.
Speaker 1: C Yeah, Miles, your clopo's getting out of hand, man infantilizing it even for me.
Speaker 2: Thank you. All right.
Speaker 1: Well, my name is Jack O'Brien aka Potatoes O'Brien, and I'm thrilled to be joined as always buy my co host, mister Miles Grass.
Speaker 2: Miles Gray's enjoying what he's seeing from his la breakers, really really liking it.
Speaker 3: I'm just gonna say it lightly. It's nice to see.
Speaker 2: Darvin Ham make adjustments that seem to be translating in the game. Shout out Lonnie Walker, the.
Speaker 1: Fourth Lonnie Walker, the fourth baby lone he Walker. Yeah, the fourth, Uh just came in microwave of and can we can we give it to another I mean, most of NBA fans today don't know about Vinnie Johnson being the microwave of him.
Speaker 4: Can we give that nickname to.
Speaker 2: A new yeah?
Speaker 4: Why not new player?
Speaker 5: Ye?
Speaker 4: But yeah, just stays wet. It's pretty cool.
Speaker 2: He stays ready exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, well Miles, we're thrilled to be joined by a rights activist and award winning podcast host and producer of the weekly podcast Immigrantly. Yeah, Sadia, what's up, Sadia?
Speaker 4: How are you hello?
Speaker 5: With a few I am really excited to be here, and I was just listening to your conversation back and forth Planter, and I'm really enjoying it.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you so much. Okay, I like a compliment to begin.
Speaker 4: It makes one of you, you know.
Speaker 5: That's although I will say this, I did not get a few references because I did not grow up here, so a lot of stuff that you were talking about, at least some of it was a bit unknown alien to me.
Speaker 2: But I enjoyed it. Okay, what can I what like? What was it?
Speaker 3: Was it the school nurse thing to start off with?
Speaker 5: No, the school nurse thing I could understand because I have kids, so I've had those conversations with.
Speaker 2: That.
Speaker 5: But in terms of you know, Elie Lakers, I'm not into sports, not at East American sports. I am a huge fan of cricket, okay, which I grew up watching, which was a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: So yeah, test cricket one day, both yeah, okay, Okay. Whenever enough people on the Internet are talking about cricket, I sometimes check out the highlights because it's like one of those sports that I actually have watched a lot of but don't know the rules, because like it's close enough to baseball where I'm like, oh, I'm like, you hit that wicket though I know that's good, and I'm like I'm like, oh hit for six.
Speaker 3: I'm like yeah, okay, I know all these other things. But yeah, love love cricket. Where are you coming to us from now?
Speaker 5: New York? I like to think New York, but I am based. I live in suburbs of New York.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 5: I go to New York City a lot for recording and stuff. But to day I'm recording from my home.
Speaker 2: Love love that.
Speaker 1: We'll allow it, you know. You can still you're from New York, big city of dreams.
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, how long have you been in New York?
Speaker 5: Years?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Is it true that everything in New York is not always what it seems? Sorry?
Speaker 1: This is a reference to an old rap lyric that was like very popular.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry, Well it was on the West Coast.
Speaker 2: The dog pound is very popular in the West Coast.
Speaker 1: So it is what it seems just a confirm important question.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean for me, if you ask me, it reminds me of Lahore. I grew up in Lahore, which is a metropolitan city in Pakistan, and people are nice but yeah, blunt, and they they are very honest about everything. So I feel like New Yorkers. I like that they don't pretend to be anybody else, right, And that's what I love about New York.
Speaker 2: Is there like an inverse of like Lahore in Pakistan? Like is like in America will say New Yorkers are not nice but kind and people that live in la are nice but not kind.
Speaker 5: Oh in Pakistan Nope, okay.
Speaker 2: So is everybody is that kind of like just the general vibe. It's like, yeah, we're blunt, but at the end of the day, we're kind.
Speaker 5: That's the gentle vibe. We are kind but blunt.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I like that. I like that.
Speaker 4: Well, we are going to get to know you a little bit better in a moment.
Speaker 1: First, we're going to tell our listeners a couple of the things that we're talking about. Elon Musk is on some white supremacist shit, big time, more overt than usual, I guessyday on Twitter. So we're going to talk about his response to the Dallas Nazi mass shooter and just generally his like he's retweeting a bunch of misleading races bullshit. So we'll go through some of of his tweets and kind of tying into the Elon Musk story in a weird way, We're going to talk about TikTok's worst detective who is currently off the case, but he claimed that there was this conspiracy of like a secret serial killer that was drowning drunk people walking home from bart It's very strange. Anyways, all that plenty more, But first, Sadia, we like to ask our guest, what is something from your search history?
Speaker 5: So I recently searched how to water indoor orchids And the backstory is a friend of mine gave me orchid as a gift, and I was like, oh, I'm going to take care of this plant because I'm not big on taking care of plants. I've never done that in the past, and I was really excited, and I did not google how to water it properly, so I just let it be and I was either watching it every day, or watching it at night, or watching it with cold water, and I don't know what I was doing. But in the end, unfortunately the plant died, and because of its untimely demise, I was just shock. I was so sad. I you know, the American in me was feeling so bad because you know the usual joke about Americans taking care of or being more concerned about plants and animals than.
Speaker 2: Humans like them.
Speaker 5: Yeah, said, I was really sad. And I was like, Okay, I'm going to go and buy an orchid. And I did that, and now I'm doing a whole Google search about how to take care of an orchid and I've been doing that for a couple of days. And I hope, I'm really hoping and paying this orchid will not die on me.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, some orchid stores in LA that have my picture up, uh, because I spent a number of years as an orchid serial killer. Like I just could not keep those things alive for the life of me.
Speaker 2: It's so funny. My mother loves orchids so like I'll always get her orchids like for her, like because she loves them. But she's also like you know, like when the blue after the bloom, a lot of people are like, oh, it's dead, and like they'll just be like I don't know what to do with this. And my mom she'll be like give me that. Like she's like I will take them and I will get I will bring them back to bloom life. And she has like in her yeah yeah, in her like living room, she has like this window where she has like about maybe ten orchids in different state of bloom that she just like always kind of takes care of. So I love hearing about orchids, like talking about orchids. But yeah, the watering is like super key because like, yeah, it's really easy.
Speaker 5: Over the bring they bring good luck. They bring good luck to you, right, That's what That's what I'm hoping for.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we need we could use some of that.
Speaker 1: I feel like it's one of the higher difficulty, Like it's you know, what you should do once you get really good at caring for other plants in my case, or what I should have done after the major Yeah, that's the majors. And I just stepped right in and was like, don't don't dead again. This one too, that one.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So but my wife liked orchids, so what was I gonna do? You know, hey, just.
Speaker 3: Take care of them. They just need a little bit of light.
Speaker 2: Don't put them in direct sunlight, but make sure they get good light and just give it a little bit of water. You want to clip the little new growth like closer to that. There's like there's a few tips you can do and with a little bit of patience. It's I think that's one of the most satisfying things is watching like an orchid rebloom and you're like, oh, yeah, do your thing, orkid.
Speaker 1: I'd given you up for dead. What is what something you think is overrated?
Speaker 5: The British monarchy tell ya what not?
Speaker 4: On this podcast. We are a monarchist. We are royal watchers.
Speaker 2: We love them King Chuck aye ai I as we call him.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: The interesting thing is, and I'm asking both of you this because I'm confused. As far as I know, America fought a bloody war to separate itself from the British monarchy. But American media, American public is obsessed, obsessed. Yeah, and I don't get it why because honestly, I mean, monarchy is what racism on steroids? And you are still so intrigued.
Speaker 1: By it, right, you just answered your own question. And racism on steroids and out in the open and with fancy stuff. Racism loves money and you know.
Speaker 2: Loves yeah, and loves like just terribly concentrated power in the hands of a very interesting looking group of people.
Speaker 1: Billionaires they love, billionaires who didn't do shit to get their money and just pretending that they did.
Speaker 4: So it kind of fits.
Speaker 5: But yeah, I oh, okay, it's all coming together, I think.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And also there's like just this romanticism I think of, like just being like, oh, like like Americans feel like that's the fancy for like something. I don't know. There's like an aspirational aspect to it, I think too, in this weird way from like it's classy to think that the king, like the monarchy is cool versus Joe Biden or something. But yeah, it's to each their own, I mean, I definitely.
Speaker 5: I mean when I think of them, I think of I don't know, lot, yeah, and people who invaded the self content and basically took everything away. So I have myl neal hangle. I can't get over that.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, no, I think most most American people, I mean, I think, who are like savvy when it comes to history, Like yeah, I mean like I mean, if anything, they taught us how to be the empire we are today in the United States, and we just iterated on what we learned from the English. I guess, but yeah, it's do you think.
Speaker 5: That's a good thing?
Speaker 2: No, I think is that a good thing? Not at all. It's the worst fucking thing ever. And I think it's only I look at we were saying yesterday when we looked at a picture of Charles during the coronation, I'm like, if you could like assign like a human scream value to each jewel and piece of gold or.
Speaker 3: Fur that adorned his body, how many screams worth of shit was he wearing? Because it has to be in like the trillions.
Speaker 4: That's what gives him the power though, And.
Speaker 2: I think I think, like for me, that's when I look at those things, all I see is pain, Like I'm like, this is it's like you mind that gold or those emeralds or things like that. It's still and in fact, how many like former colonies are like we want our ship back.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but we do give us back.
Speaker 1: Yeah exactly, it's still Yeah, he does make it all look a few clicks more ridiculous than any king that I've witnessed before. I haven't witnessed that many kings, but like he puts the lie to the whole thing and like just makes the monarchy look bad. So I will say, in that respect, I'm glad that he's the king because he just is like this palladi old man who's just like I want.
Speaker 2: It blasted pen.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but I do see this narrative about good monarchs and bad monarchs, and I really don't buy it, because anybody who's benefiting from the institution itself is part of perpetual eating that you know, harmful, bad So I don't give a fuck if it's like a good monarch or bad monarch. They're all monarchs and they are benefiting from it. I mean Prince Harry, good for him. I mean I do feel bad for him in some ways, but to be honest, heartache, I don't feel bad for them either.
Speaker 2: No, he's doing all right. He's got that monarch guilt creeping in. But you know, it's like the same way of like you can't be a US president and not be a war criminal, right, you know what I mean? And it's at the end of the day, we're like, oh what about him? Like no, also war criminal? Actually yeah, loo, look up what was done under their command? No one gets out of here scot free.
Speaker 4: What is something you think is underrated? Sadia?
Speaker 5: Non European English accents?
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 5: I see a lot of people, again Americans obsessing over British accent and French accent and German accents, but when it comes to non European accents, they are pretty mean, So I would say they are underrated. App Absolutely, I love my accent. I think it's so good.
Speaker 4: So yeah, yeah, as well you should. It's a great accent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's I think it's like so much of it too. Like again, there's like this thing of from media where they're like, oh an English, Like Americans are so easily fooled by an English accent. It's kind of creepy. Yeah, you know, like you could grift so hard on an English accent, like if you were just talking like American people. Like there's a guy who I saw coaching youth soccer at a local park. I'm pretty sure this dude is not English because his accent. Like I watch a lot of English programming I love the Premier League. I watch a lot of English media. His accent sounds like an America, Like, it sounds like me fucking around pretending to be English. And but I know this guy's charging parents through the fucking teeth to be like their footy coach.
Speaker 3: And I'm like, I think this guy's got the grift.
Speaker 2: Man. He's just out here doing a bit of like, you know, he watched a couple episodes at east Enders and now he's out there, you know, grifting on that.
Speaker 5: You know, what's interesting to me is that accents are not universal. So there are multiple English accents as well, right, so it's not like just one English accent or one French accent or one somebody wants asked me if my accent was Pakistani accent, and I was like, how do you define Pakistani accent? There are multiple accents within Pakistan, especially people who speak English, which by the way, is our colonizers language. And it's fine, I mean, I've learned it, but at the end of the day, it's like, how do you define a universal accent? People in America have so many different accents. Oh yeah, New Yorkers, you know, Long people living in Long Island have a.
Speaker 2: Completely different as state obsession.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this obsession with accent, certain accents, and this hierarchy which exists really bothers me because it really impacts people in ways that a lot of people don't recognize. And so, yeah, own your accents. You are wherever you are.
Speaker 1: The way to center yourself to just like in a way, just be like I am the center of the universe. Because everyone normally speak the way I do has an accent, and it's like, well, you can't hear your accent. You can't hear your parents' accent.
Speaker 2: I can hear my accent. Man, they give me some water water, Yeah, give me some water rice.
Speaker 5: There's so many immigrants who are really traumatized by how people view their accents and they are almost scared to speak up because it's like, oh my gosh, people don't understand me or they can't comprehend me. So yeah, something that people really don't think about when they are conversing with others.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's where my mom's from Japan, and she first immigrated to England when she was like twenty years old, so she learned to really speak English in England. So she has this like hybridized Japanese like quasi English accent, and when she came to the US, people were so confounded by like how she spoke.
Speaker 3: They were like, what are you from?
Speaker 2: Is? What country is that? And she's like, I'm Japanese, Like but your accent. It's like, well, I just came from England. It's like yeah, but it's like as if there's like another shoe that has to drop because you can't wrap your head around a human being just moving from place to place and picking up language skills in a way that isn't again, like congruent to yours. Yeah, I definitely feel.
Speaker 4: Too many categories coming at my brain.
Speaker 2: It's Japanese but English no, Wow. Yeah, I mean, at the end of the day, it's just I think it's it's for people who care enough, it's how they determine, like how much someone is assimilated based on like their accent. And then if you have that kind of xenophobic worldview, then yeah, I guess that's your terrible cross to bear.
Speaker 1: All right, let's take a quick break and we will be right back with some news. And we're back, and there's been a lot of crimes that have happened in the past week. You know, Jordan Neely was murdered by a white man and then a mass shooter who was an avowed Nazi with like Nazi tattoosh went on a killing spree in Dallas, and the right has chosen to like greet this by saying that it's like unfair that we're talking about it when it happens.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's just like this really terribly bad faith argument that they're saying, Like the Libs are reaching by saying the Dallas shooter was a Nazi. That's just that's just what they say about everyone. Oh my god, everyone's a Nazi. That's just what they say about everyone. But like, sadly, even the most casual look at this person's social media would confirm that he was in fact a white supremacist like hyl Hitler ing neo Nazi, and even made a post where he was explaining his own beliefs despite his perceived ethnic identity, because many people were like, there's no way someone with a Hispanic last name could be a white supremacist. What are you guys going on about. That's impossible. You have to be white to be a white supremacist. And I just I'll throw some names out for people who are up on you know, the really gross figures on the right. How about Enrique Tario to have a proud voice. Okay, he's a Cuban American, but he's also a white supremacist. He also have Nick Fuentes, who's also has met up with Donald Trump many times and was courting Kanye West and just like the grossest parts of the internet, white supremacist. So just it does it does my head in Okay, as the English say, because first of all, whiteness is a fucking social construct that has shifted over centuries, you know, like you can even look at there was a thread from this professor I want Kathleen Belou who even pointed out, like how much the race box on the US Census has like shifted over time, and how like it's not just white or whatever. If you go back to nineteen ten, it's just saying like color or race was the box it said, there were no other categories, or even the eight ninety it says whether white, black, mulatto, quadroon, octoroon. We don't use these terms as all. Yeah, Chinese Japanese are Indian, and overtime these things shift and so to this idea of like because this person isn't a like I guess, you know, the Aryan type of variety of white person is. Maybe what they're thinking has to that's the standard to be a quote unquote white supremacist. They're completely missing the point. And I think because most Americans would most likely look at this to a like black or brown versus white lens, whereas like places in South America have very different ideas of what whiteness is or who a person of color is. It's like, are the white people those that descend from the Iberians that colonize the land, and the people of color the indigenous And that's how they began to you know, separate like on those kinds of racial lines of class, et cetera. And again, you look in Texas and the Southwest and general the United States, you have a lot of people who have last names that are Hispanic, who might not see themselves as people of color, and some might see themselves as just downright Nazis. So at the end of the day, the ideology kind of like in its current state isn't based on the purest sense of like Aryan supremacy that they're thinking of like Hitler's master race kind of thing. But it's just a it attracts people because it's a violent system of power that targets women, Jews, trans people, Muslims, whoever who is not outside of like the deemed hegemonic class or whatever. And you know, the murderer's post confirm all of this, like he was aligned with all of these beliefs, and his.
Speaker 5: White supremacy is on full display through his stattooes. So I was like, yeah, what the heck, Like you could tell that this guy is hardcore white supremacist. And you're absolutely right about this ideology being internalized by other races as well, especially in America, because it lends itself to approximation to whiteness and where you stand in this society because America is obsessed obsessed with race.
Speaker 4: Yeah right, but won't admit it to themselves.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, of course. Oh we're past that, We're past that.
Speaker 1: But it is wild to see because it's just that they are just telling on themselves that they think of race as a genetic like differentiator and not a social construct used to discriminate and economically exploit people, Like they are like, well, he has a last name and because of the one drop rule that we all adopted after the Civil War.
Speaker 4: Wait, we didn't all adopt that.
Speaker 1: That was just me and the people in the back room where I make the decisions about the society.
Speaker 4: Right, it's fucking wild.
Speaker 2: To your point, Sidy about for all of those who are like, I don't know if he's a Nazi. He couldn't have more Nazi tattoos if you'd even tried. I guess he could have had mind komp tatted in its entirety on his body. But ss bolts and a swastika, there's no there's no ambiguity about it. And again this is just their bad faith argument because they can't really argue anything on the merits because it's all about obscuring the existence of this, like the the heavy hand of white supremacy that looms over everything in this country. It's like, no, no, that's not happens, doesn't exist. So you were saying, how this ideology even attracts people of other races and cultures, you know, he posted a meme that basically said, like when you're Hispanic, like, it's like a fork in the road and on one side it says act black and the other said, become a white supremacist, And that just kind of shows you what his entire worldview is of what your perceived options are, if there's even such an idea of options for how you live your life. But that was his very specific worldview that was that was the shooter. That was the shooter. Yeah, post it, I.
Speaker 1: Actually couldn't tell if that was the shooter or Elon Musk. That's where we're at at this point.
Speaker 3: No truly, and I mean he was also parrotying the same thing.
Speaker 2: It was like, well, I much like really but again, fine, like this is this is why he bought the Way site, to bring even more nonsense and misinformation to the masses and normalize that.
Speaker 1: It's really like getting to a point where it's systematic. He's doing it frequently, constantly, and just in the most bad faith way as possible. Yeah.
Speaker 5: But what's worse is that a lot of people in America will buy into those narratives, whether they're coming from Republicans or Elon Musk. And that's more problematic than anything else. Right, why are people buying into it yet? Because they want to maintain their racial hierarchy. It's as simple as not. There's nothing else to it, right, I mean, yeah, oversimplified. But one of the major reasons why people are so hung up on these narratives and they don't want to let go is because they don't want to give up on their racial hierarchy, whatever form it takes.
Speaker 2: Right, right, Yeah, because it's like, well, at least I have that I have no world yet in a world of limited options, well, at least I have my whiteness, and I can lord that over people and still feel good about myself because I'm in the white head Chrischin group or whatever it is. That's become very attractive to these people. Recently.
Speaker 1: Yeah, one of the things that Elon Musk retweeted was this meme tweeted by end Wokeness at end Wokeness on Twitter that was like a comparison of interracial violent crime incidents twenty eighteen. And the statistics from this are completely like they use a percentage and then like apply it to the population and it's all sorts of fucked up.
Speaker 2: And what we'll get into distrapolating like just based on like the demography to be like that's actually that's actually how overblown this is. If you actually do the demographic extrapolation, yes.
Speaker 1: But like we'll get into debunking in a second, but it's just wild that we have the head of a major communication platform like openly doing straight up white supremacists, like openly white supremacist shit. It's like, you know, I think when he bought Twitter, we were like, this is like if Henry Ford bought like a major newspaper. But it's like, you know, Henry Ford was putting the protocols of the Elders of Zion and like the model t glove compartment when he was selling that, Like this is more insidious and just overt and damaging than that, like the shit that he's doing. The like this meme is obviously like reiterating the myth that the local news and Fox News and even the supposedly centrist media tell people every day that like using selection bias to tell people that more crimes are committed by black people on white people, and that like black on white crime is extremely common, and that like white people should be afraid of black people and they do that usually through selection bias, and this uses like some bullshit math and also just like a misunderstanding of the context of like what is a crime is a crime an objective, an objective thing that happens always, and that there is some objective system for determining. But like, the big piece of missing context from this is that they've applied a percentage to the population and because white people are a larger part of the population, they just have a higher number. And people were pointing out if you add white on white crime, it dwarfs everything else. It is by far the vast majority of crimes in the United States, but they have omitted that for right, very specific reasons.
Speaker 5: This is a create example of how data is distorted to perpetuate a narrative that already exists. And what's versus people will again buy this, buy into it, and it will resonate with people because it reinforces their ideas, whatever their preconceived notions are about certain racial identities and ethnicities. So it really reinforces what they already believe. And my quest would be, how do we hold consumers off information accountable? Right, So, how do we become intentional consumers of information and critical thinkers whatever is presented to us, we don't have to really internalize it, And how do we make that shift in American society rather than saying, oh, you know Elon Musk, Yes, he is tweeting because he's an ass, he's a racist, but why are we buying into it?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like I feel like I agree with that.
Speaker 1: I wish this was not as effective as it is and has been for years with the way that like you know, local news from every network and then like national news from Fox News, like are constantly beating this drum. Like I wish the people were kind of better consumers. I also feel like the overton window on this has shifted, and we have somebody who is like one of the most famous people in the world just openly spewing white suprema as lies, and people are just kind of taking it for granted, like there's not a conversation about like it should he be allowed to do?
Speaker 2: Yeah, because also, like the media that we'd count on to comment on this, they're completely unable to have this kind of nuanced conversation. We saw that time after time. We saw it in twenty twenty. It's like they just they can't because to them, it's not like he's not posting like a Sambo meme or like mammy type shit like black caricatures, so that doesn't register as quote unquote racist, and to this it's like, oh, it's it's just a really it's it's it's it's an inaccurate statement and not understanding. Again, this is why we have such trouble with even wrapping our heads around like the concept of white supremacy, because the media certainly doesn't know how to define it. They're just like, oh, I think it's when it's a Nazi. It's not like it's not our like these these like these systems of power that exist within the country, and we can't because you seldom do you hear them talking about it in those terms unless they bring on like a sociology professor or someone who's and it's just for like three minutes and they.
Speaker 3: Go, oh wow, that's a very interesting point.
Speaker 2: All right, Moving on Elon Musk's new cards, like what the fuck Like that's that's actually the conversation that needs to be had. So it's like a failure on multiple levels.
Speaker 5: I think, yeah, yeah, And what does Elon Musk represent, right success, capitalism in whatever form people want to see. So you rate going back to the point about how Americans vieusit in personalities and individuals and how much they believe in them because of what they've achieved again through their success or career trajectory, it's difficult for people to question that right, that authority in a way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, because we've seeded, like you know, we've we deify these billionaires, you know what I mean, Like, yeah, there to the point where we have no ability to critically analyze how they got there, the context in which they became successful. Like no one talks about how Bill Gates dad was able to get him in front of a computer before any child basically in America. But it's like, man, he's such a genius, Like no, it's fucking dad, Like uh, it's every every person has this story. It's like how did he do it? It's like, well, I don't know. A fuck ton of money from their family.
Speaker 1: And because of the way the American system is set up, somebody is going to be that rich. Like, somebody is going to be that rich, and it is usually going to be the person with tons of advantages all along the way.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So yeah, I mean I think until like Americans, like in mass can understand that like all of this is a fucking illusion and it's merely meant to be. This like really interesting carrot to dangle in front of people so they can kind of just like accept their lot in life and not really consider if there's more that can be done or we deserve better. It's going to be very difficult because everyone can kind of have this thing of like, oh my god, I could be like Elon with if I buy crypto and or fall into some other fucking redatory industry that promises this kind of like stratospheric upward social mobility. But at the end of the day, you're just falling prey to the exact same fucking grift, just in a new fucking you know, new shiny coat.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It's so dangerous because it ties directly into the like one of the core American myths, which is that it is a meritocracy, right, and so when this guy who is the richest person on earth is spreading shit like this, people have the implicit assumption, and I think the media ties into this a lot that this guy is smart and what he's saying, well, and this one has statistics, so it has to be you know, good, instead of just it's statistics.
Speaker 4: Being used to lie.
Speaker 1: It just feels like we are frogs in a gradually boiling pot with this motherfucker, and the madness of what we are seeing from him is pretty shocking and is kind of just being excused the waint.
Speaker 2: It's kind of like the same thing you will, like Kanye West when he was saying all this anti Semitic nonsense, Like the reporting on it just sends it just sends it out further too. Yeah, and there's going to be a lot of people been like, oh, what does Elon Musk mean with this thing or like the latest Elon Mutt And already you're already putting in front of more people because of it. And it's hard to like because we have this like we're all about outrage clicks in the media, like and that helps engagement that like it's just it really is this like snake eating its own tail kind of thing where on one level you'd have to be like, no, we're not talking about this because this is non racist drivel, like this is a this is not even worth your time to even tell you, like, well, we might as well report on every ignorant thing that every person says at that point, and just because of this person's place, we're like, well, let's let's treat it as something that should be talked about even if we don't agree. And I think that already is a tremendous disservice because for every person who can see that and says this is fucking bullshit, like what is this nonsense, there is going to be someone who's like, well, hold on, I'm currently in a situation where, like I argue with friends because of my limited worldview, and this helps reinforce that, Oh, now I have something to go deeper into and go further into, and that's the real danger. But this is how it's playing out pretty consistently, we see.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, let's take a quick break and we'll come back and talk about some other stories, some TikTok crime fighters, and we're back, and one of the most dramatic stories playing out on the Internet this month involves a series of real murders and an amateur detective and a bunch of pissed off people on TikTok. So you know, this has been a thing, like ever since Cereal invented podcasting in twenty fourteen, this has been something the Internet loves to do, but it's been especially prominent on TikTok lately and TikTok is so clogged up with stories about real murders that one company started using the platform to sell fifty dollars in case I go missing binders for people to put all their key Like you can.
Speaker 4: Put a hair sample, fingerprints, dental records, dental records all in a binder that you then, I don't know, submit to this company that then sells it to credit card companies. I'm assuming, but it's.
Speaker 2: Like your own handwriting too, Like this is what a what a specific market that is bizarre.
Speaker 1: So enter ken wax ken Waks, a TikToker with more than a million followers who started posting videos about a series of allegedly unrelated deaths in Chicago.
Speaker 4: So officially, the deceased men.
Speaker 1: Got drunk, fell into a nearby body of water, and accidentally drowned, which is, unfortunately a thing that happens a lot anytime there is a body of water near a place where people get drunk, which is everywhere, and Chicago is kind of known for that.
Speaker 4: Sort of thing.
Speaker 2: A river runs through it.
Speaker 1: Yes, so he claims something's fishy here. He claims to have been quote offered a ride by a stranger in an unmarked vehicle while walking around Chicago at night multiple times. And his theory is that the person who offered him a ride or the people who offered him a ride multiple times are actually part of some like organization that kidnaps and drowns drunk men in their twenties and thirties for no reason that anybody can discern.
Speaker 4: And like the police are just like, what the fuck are you talking about?
Speaker 5: Man?
Speaker 1: This is like so and but he's you know, re raising these like tragic deaths in the lives of the families. You know, suddenly these family are like trending because of this horrible tragedy that happened to their brother or son like a year ago. And these videos have received millions of views thousands of comments. He claimed that the police ignored him and even denied him an opportunity to speak at community meetings, and then he claimed to have cracked the case of nine drownings in Texas, also alleging that they were connected to the deaths in Chicago and also Pittsburgh, Wisconsin. In Minneapolis, perhaps the handiwork of a team of killers.
Speaker 2: Is he white?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: Is he white?
Speaker 4: I'm just like.
Speaker 2: It's just the caucasidy of this. Oh man, you know how vulnerable we are, bros. They're coming for us.
Speaker 1: That's what's so funny about this. It ties into the last story we were talking about, because it's like the safest, least targeted, least endangered group of humans in the US, like twenty and thirty year old white men fantasizing that they're being systematically hunted down. And his evidence is people stopping to try to help him because he's staggering drunk in the street, and he's like all the US ever does to white men in their twenties and thirties is like give them the benefit of the doubt.
Speaker 4: And people are like, hey, man, are you all right? You need a ride?
Speaker 2: Hey you want to be in a Supreme court? Hey you want to be in the Supreme Court. You want to be a senator?
Speaker 1: Nah?
Speaker 2: All right, cool, all right, yeah, I do you think? Do you think? All right? Yeah? That's good.
Speaker 5: It was, you know, as you're talking about this, Sorry, the first thought that's coming to my mind is, oh, my gosh, my teenager gets a lot of information from TikTok and it's okay to get restaurant recommendations. Yeah, this crazy shit is dangerous, right, so how do we regulated? We can't really regulate social media. Does it make sense to even think of regulation? Because I sometimes think about this and I worry that there is so much information out there, not just TikTok by the way, I mean Facebook Yogi.
Speaker 2: In this Yeah, right, what do we do? I mean, at the very least, it has to be better moderated, uh, you know, to be able to find those things. But again it's like a slippery slope where you see things like where people who are like talking about the cop city in Atlanta and like video like rightly information that should be shared with people about the police trying to build this like multi million dollar complex and people are getting killed for trying to stop it, or people are being put in prison for trying to obstruct the construction of this thing without any real due process. Like that stuff worth noticing. But you do see that stuff get suppressed too, So it is like what do you do? But I think in terms of this, this is like following in. What's really dangerous is like all this vigilante shit that is happening right now. So many people feel empowered to fucking intervene or create suit. In Louisiana, a man shot a little girl in the back of her head because they were playing hide and seek and he thought people were like trying, like he was gonna get got They were kids playing hide and seek, and they some kids got onto his property. Yeah, and there's so many people who already just hopped up on this like cruel and unusual world shit that they can't even like see children playing without putting it through this like lens of like, oh, this is a threat to me because because I live in a world where everyone's out to get me spoiler alert, they're not.
Speaker 4: They're not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So this guy Wax who claimed everyone's out to get him and his other fellow twenty and thirty year old white drunk men like started posting this shit about how like a private investigator showed up at my apartment and recruited me to be part of a secret team investigating the smiley Face killers theory, which is another like internet conspiracy theory where people are found drowned in a river and like a smiley face is nearby and everyone thinks that it's like this killer as opposed to accidental drowning deaths, which are you know, it's again, it's again, like one of those sampling by says where people drowned constantly, and it doesn't make the news. The only thing that makes the news is violent crimes, and so people assume that anytime someone dies that there's got to be more to the story. But he posted a video about his like this private investigator, and was like, he's downstairs right now feeding the meter.
Speaker 4: So I just like jumped on here real quick to talk to you guys. He's coming back in.
Speaker 1: I gotta go, like like clearly inventing this guy.
Speaker 4: And everyone was like huh.
Speaker 1: So people started to get suspicious at that point, and that skepticism was later rewarded when Wax started including what amounted to sponsored content in his videos, which again are videos about real life tragedies. But he's part of a launch of an app for a social calendar startup company for which he was the chief marketing officer, and all this bullshit was just about promoting some dumb fucking app. The CEO of the app brag about how good the murder videos were for their business and bragged that wax clever formula is highly reproducible.
Speaker 4: In a post that was later deleted, he.
Speaker 2: Said, best of all this marketing strategy comes at no cost to the company.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Wow, I knew capitalism would rear its ugly fucking head somehow. It's it's like, yeah, and it was a marketing it was a fucking promo.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It turns out it's an ingenious marketing trick to yell fire in a crowded theater, because the amount of the attention share that you get when you tell people that they're about to die, that their death is imminent is amazing and what it's irresponsible More on that later.
Speaker 2: How many people who don't know this are gonna ingest this shit and be like, man, if someone offers me a fucking ride when I'm drunk, they're trying to murder.
Speaker 4: Me, right, you know?
Speaker 2: And now that open yeah yeah is out here just wandering the streets, because there's an off of this just wacky ass content where someone is clearly fucking lying, Like the second is like, yeah, they asked me to join a secret detectives club, motherfucker. This ain't the inciting incident in some thriller movie. The fuck are you talking about? You're lying? Uh? And I feel bad that there are people who are because there are so many people who are obsessed with the tragedies that befall others, that they get sucked into this and then next thing you know, they're violently threatening someone who maybe tried to be a good Smaritan, even if he was offered an I doubt he was even offered a ride. But again, I don't know how kind Chicagoans are. If you're stumbling drunk through the streets that gang. Let me know, is that something where y'all would be like, hey man, you need to ride you good because I know in la it ain't fucking happening.
Speaker 4: Well, it might be happening if they're and they might be trying to rob him, which okay, yeah, there is totally there, right. Yeah, I don't think they were.
Speaker 1: Trying to poison and drown him like he assumed, because what the fuck is the point of that. Also, so we actually don't have to imagine the psychological damage he did. Because one mother of a man who died in Chicago's Calumet River years ago reached out to him thinking he could help answer some questions that she had about her son's death, and he just added her son to his database of possible victims. Didn't bother to email her back. Then she paid him for a fifteen minute Zoom meeting, which he flaked on. He just like didn't show up.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just like truly brutal, yes, fucking piece of shit.
Speaker 2: Wow wow wow. So and he's what's the next step for.
Speaker 1: He announced it in a video He's dropping the case. But just because of the controversy, he isn't admitting to being.
Speaker 4: Full of shit.
Speaker 1: He vowed that he was merely concerned about public safety and also has.
Speaker 4: A personal connection to the case.
Speaker 1: Again, his personal connection is he claims some guy tried to give him a ride two times. And also he issued this apology about like toying with the lives of people and making them dredge up and revisit like the deaths of loved ones. He did that with Pokemon dolls, Pokemon stuff. He's in the background, just.
Speaker 4: Like over his shoulder. Very serious, very very serious.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: I can see the contrition in Pikachu's face. Yes, yeah, so in that sense, I do feel that. But again, like this is the hard part too, right. The other side of this social media coin is it allows people with their mendacious and like spurious claims that they know are bullshit to go out there, chest out, try and get people into some kind of frenzy and then also like when they're found out, just continue to be like, oh.
Speaker 3: I don't know, you know, and that it is what it is.
Speaker 2: And yeah, maybe I did retraumatize this mother who tragically lost her son and I maybe grifted her for thirty bucks.
Speaker 3: I mean that als like on some level that has.
Speaker 2: To be criminal behavior, you know what I mean to be taking advantage of someone who's gone through this kind of horrible thing and even pretending like you could get to the bottom of it and like saying like oh yeah, and I'll take your money if you want to talk about these cases like come on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know when we were talking about, like, well, obviously you can't regulate social media.
Speaker 4: I feel like you should be.
Speaker 1: I feel like we just that needs to be if you want to create like a lot of good government jobs, try and make the internet like a regulated place where people can't do shit like this. It does feel like in a rational world, like forty years from now, we'd look back on this and be like, man, that was really fucked up, and we've now learned our lesson and now you can't openly grift people on social media and just get away with it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just, yeah, it is. It's really hard. It's really hard to like think of how it all works. But I guess in a way, like as a people, maybe we don't deserve social media, we can't have nice things that could be used for nice things. But I think on some level it incentivizes the worst parts of like our human character as well, and it does it in a way that just becomes attractive. Like you look at all these people who just become like right wing grifters, like people who are like, yeah, I was a failed comedian, but I know if I say a lot of like awful racist shit, I actually have another gig and I don't really have to believe it. But these people love it because it's social media and it is what it is, and I'm benefiting from it. And I think that's the biggest part we're seeing with all of these accounts and or just like these influencers rise up too, is that you know, it's hard to know like how you can use it for good or in a way or keep people from using it that is just going to lead to just a bunch of pain.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And what's sad and ironic is that what gets clicks and likes and reviews is deployment of trauma of some source, right, somebody else's trauma. But at the end of the day, it is how traumatic it is and how that is commodified. So that goes back to human psyche and human nature and how we look at things that do impact us directly.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Also, because we live in a very lonely world, like all these things have sort of corded us off into our little capitalism cells where we do the most work and work as efficiently as possible and order our food to get here so we can, you know, have as much free time.
Speaker 2: As we don't food.
Speaker 4: You don't cook food, No.
Speaker 1: Order, you got to order and just have it left at your front door and then then so you can get back to work.
Speaker 4: And no.
Speaker 1: But I mean they there's skyrocketing loneliness in our society and I think worldwide, and these sorts of things like you're saying, like packaging and distributing other people's trauma, I think praise on it. It's like here's here's some human connection, here's some human emotion that you can feel because you know, we no longer have deep enriching friendships or like community to build on, so you just get to watch tiktoks of people trying to solve other people's murders that aren't actual murders.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's even disingenuous to come some guy solving murders. Really, what you can be is duped into a really fucked up cynical marketing campaign for some stupid fuck you app get out of here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, Sadia, it's been such a pleasure having you on the show. Where can people find you? Follow you all that good stuff.
Speaker 5: You can follow my podcast Immigrantly at Immigrantly Underscore pod on Twitter and immigrantly Pod on Instagram, and they can follow me on Twitter at s w K Kham and listen to Immigrantly. Listen to Invisible Hate, which is another podcast that I am creating with the Filion Media and it's about ethical storytelling and we highlight injustices against minority groups in America.
Speaker 4: Amazing And is there a work of media that you've been enjoying?
Speaker 5: So I read a tweet yesterday which goes back to the conversation we were having about the British monarchy, and I really want to share that because it spoke to me and I am thinking it may speak to a lot of people who are listening to this, So let me just share this. And this is by Sana said. Her handle is at Sana sa Nasaed. She's a journalist and her tweet is Camilla's necklace worn by queens for coronation. Since Victoria contains a twenty two point four to eight carret pendant called the Lahore Diamond. It was stolen among other jewels, relics, gold when the British invaded and looted the Lahore fought in eighteen forty nine, an empire of thieves dressed like thieves. And it really spoke to me, especially because it's Lahar diamond. I grew up in Lahore. It's personal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And is it one of those things too where people can see it, like where the like the monarchy can thumb their nose at the people who are like that should be ours like and you can see it here and pay to see your thing, Okay, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: I mean I don't know about this particular necklace because she's wearing it. And if people go and just you know, google that the hard diamond they'll probably see Kimla wearing it, but I'm sure it's on display somewhere right right right. People can probably check it out, but that's that's the irony, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, Miles, Where can people find you? Is there a work media you've been enjoying?
Speaker 2: You can find me on Twitter and Instagram at Miles of Gray. You can check Jack and I out on our basketball podcast, Miles and Jack Got Mad boost These, and also check me and Sophia Alexandra out on four to twenty Day Fiance, where we talk about our favorite terrible trash reality show, ninety Day Fiance, and we also talk about love is Blind. Actually, in the most recent episodes, tweets are like, it's just been funny reading about the writer's strike. Andrew t pass guest and writer. He quote tweeted this thing from WGA West. That's Joe Biden's quote. He says, quote this is from the president. Quote. I sincerely hope the writer's strike in Hollywood gets resolved and the writers are given a fair deal they deserve as soon as possible. Andrew tweeted the first terrible omen of this strike. This sounds great unless your memory goes back more than six months. I'm scared to find out what Joe Biden believes is a fair deal I deserve. Yeah, hearkening back to that when he broke that railroad strike. And also it was just really interesting to see there was in Deadline, which is like one of these industry blog magazine type things, they wrote up this like union action, like of labored.
Speaker 3: They called it how a WGA hit squad is shutting down Hollywood one shoot at a time. And all they really are mentioning is that the writers are very savvy in where they pick it because they know, like unions, they're not going to cross picket lines. And they're just saying, like, oh, they found this shoot where Maya Rudolph was shooting a show in Beverly Hills and all it it takes his two people to create a picket line. I think what is really interesting about this is it can happen outside of La too. There's a lot of shoots that happen in Atlanta, in Georgia. There are other states that offer a lot of tax incentives where you will see productions happening, you can picket and teamsters should not be crossing those lines or IATZI members. So they did do a solid in the end of it by talking to the people who were actually organizing these like very specific like intentional picket lines, and they're saying, hopefully this inspires people, you know, in other places where production is happening to also get involved because that would be.
Speaker 2: Something as well. So anyway, just good to see, you know, at least the writers doing their thing. Unfortunately they have to because they're not getting their fair shake.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: You can find me on Twitter at Jack Underscore O'Brien. A couple of tweets I've been enjoying. The onion tweeted local brother in law heard you can make shitload of money doing that. Just really resonated. And then another Onion tweet, no one at laser tag prepared for how our dad was going to bring it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, no, it's talking about you, talking about you.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 1: You can find me on Twitter at Jack Underscore O brian. You can find us on Twitter at Daily Zeitgeist. We're at the Daily Zeikeeist on Instagram, we have a Facebook fan page and a website Daily zeikeist dot com. Or we post our episode than our footnotes link off the information that we talked about in today's episode was a song that we think you might enjoy. Myles, what's the song you think people might enjoy?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 2: This is from this California band called Goon, and there's like an interlude on it that I really really loved. Like some you know how sometimes you hear a song it's like only a minute fifteen seconds and you're like, I wish that was a whole song. Well, this is like just a very beautiful instrumental little jam from their album Hour of Green Everything. This track is called Pink and Orange from Goon, and it's like a very ethereal kind of synthesizer kind of I don't know how to describe it. It's just it's nice, it's light and it feels like I just I just really like the melody and how it sort of fills on itself. So check it out. Pink and Orange by Goon.
Speaker 4: We like off to that footnote.
Speaker 2: The Daily is the production by Heart Radio.
Speaker 1: For more podcasts from my Heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio w ap Apple podcast, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows. That's going to do it for us this morning, back this afternoon to tell you what's trending and we'll talk to you all day.
Speaker 2: By bye.