Speaker 1: From UFOs to psychic powers and government conspiracies. History is riddled with unexplained events. You can turn back now or learn this stuff they don't want you to know. A production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to the show. My name is Matt, my name is Noel.
Speaker 3: They called me Ben. We're joined as always with our super producer Paul, Mission control decand most importantly, you are you. You are here and that makes this the stuff they don't want you to know. This one is for our fellow dog lovers in the audience today. Yes, the dog man's best friend and one of humanity's most successful eugenics experiments ever, whether you're talking the chihuahua or the cane corso, the domesticated K nine just connects with the human being the way so few other living things do. I mean, dogs are super intelligent and this leads a lot of people, especially dog owners, to say, Hey, my pooch friend, my doggo sibling, kid, family member is capable of everything a human mind can experience, unfortunately, up to and including very dark things like grief, the sense of loss, jealousy or technically envy, and suicide. In tonight's episode, we're exploring a bizarre localized phenomenon, one you may not have heard of in Scotland. It seems dogs overwhelmingly choose to end their lives at one particular bridge. Now, had you guys heard about this before we embarked on this episode just a little bit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I have to say, Ben, I love the idea of this being a night episode. This is a nighttime episode, now, Yeah, I mean, like just kind of the basics that there is this particular bridge that's very popular dog walking location that potentially causes dogs to do some pretty dark stuff like you said, or you know, or does it, but potentially.
Speaker 5: I think for me, it's whether or not they choose to end their lives or something. For one reason or another, they're jumping off of a bridge, right, So like for me, it's the phrasing of choosing to end their lives. I think we're gonna explore that in this episode because it certainly seems that way if we're if we're applying those potential you know, the ability to make that choice right or or is it something that they're just that's causing them to jump off that bridge for one reason.
Speaker 3: It's sudden overwhelming compulsion.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean, I have to say I would never really fancied myself a dog person until you know. I've been with my partner now for a couple of years, and she had a wonderful dog named Jude, who she'd had since a puppy for like thirteen years, and I grew to really love that dog and really experience that love, like realizing how similar it is to the love of a human. So I think with that in mind, it's easy for us to think that that goes both ways, you know, and that it feels like it goes both ways. And I think to a degree, there is awareness from the dog's perspective of their masters and certain behavior that's very easy to ascribe meaning to, you know, and much of it likely does, but some of it might also just be like I want to get fed, and this is how I go about doing that.
Speaker 3: And I didn't include a lot of the compelling studies. If somebody wants to reach out on email conspiracydyheartradio dot com, I'm glad to send along studies that do speak to the idea or the exploration of the idea that dogs experience emotions similar to those of humans. For now, here are the facts there's a place called Dumbarton, Scotland. You probably haven't heard of it unless you're familiar with this story, or you live in the United Kingdom, or if you live in Glasgow, you've definitely heard of it. Because Dumbarton's about thirteen miles is the core of It flies northwest of Glasgow, and like a lot of places near a city the size of Glasgow, this has become kind of an exurb or suburb, if you will. It's a commuter town, so a lot of people will have a job in Glasgow and they'll live somewhere that's a little more affordable, right, even if it's a bit more of a commute. It's on the banks of the River Clyde. And that the River Clyde's a weird name. Etymology fans, you'll enjoy that later. It's home to a lot of history. Once upon a time it was the capital of the ancient kingdom of Strathclyde. Get it astride the Clyde I mean I mean basically means valley of the Clyde, and etymologically, Clyde can be traced back to a word that means a river. So the River Clyde is like the river River as far as we can tell. But okay, so it's old, old old humans have been hanging out there and peoplings at least back in the days of the Iron Age. And that's kind of normal in Europe, in Western Europe, because you know, in Europe two hundred miles long way in the US two undred years a long time. You go there, you'll have a wonderful time. There's a lot of beautiful scenery, there's a wonderful castle, there's a lot of old buildings. But these days the town is not famous for its views of various locks. It's famous for one unfortunate structure, the overtuned bridge or Overton bridge. We'll just call it. That spelled o v e r t o un.
Speaker 4: It's not to be confused with the Overton window. That's something very different. This is a bridge, and it's also spelled differently.
Speaker 5: It's very weird to take a look at this bridge for the first time if you've only read about what this bridge is and what it's purported to do. It is in the Gothic style, and when you look at it, it's pretty striking. It For me, it's very castle like, which you know, harkens back to some of the Gothic building of the time that you were just speaking about there, Ben, And it had a really cool designer, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's designed by this landscape architect named H. E. Milner, and Milner created this well, it takes a while to assemble these things. Obviously it was designed by him, but it was completed in eighteen ninety five as essentially an incredibly fancy driveway. And to your point, Matt, about the description of things versus how they actually look pictures of them, it does remind me of the first time I saw the Tower of London and I thought impressive, old, I get it's a big deal. Is it a tower? And I was like, it must just take fewer stories back then to be a tower, you know what I mean. They were like over three stories. Woo, give this guy a blue ribbon.
Speaker 4: But it's a narrow thing that protrudes skyward, I guess. But you're right, the barrier to entry for towership was a little bit lower back then. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're still not going to like this bridge if you're afraid of heights.
Speaker 2: Though, Oh no, oh no, yeah, oh no.
Speaker 3: Because it goes up. It's not super duper long. It's a walkable bridge. But if you look over the edge, or if you see it from above and you look down, you'll see that it's three arches basically, and the main arch in the middle goes over a huge steep drop. It's fifty feet straight down to something called the Overton Burn, another confusing name. The Overton Burn is a small river. Burn is a weird thing to call it river. But you know, we don't make the rules for Scotland, nor should we, and you might get that, you know, sort of vertigenous vertigo feeling when you look over and see the drop. But if you were to exit the bridge yourself over the edge, you would you would have to make an attempt. It's not like a swingy rope bridge. It's very stable and as far as anyone can tell, multiple folks have examined over the years, it's made of normal stone. There are no specific anomalies in its construction or chemistry. We can spend a little time on the acoustics later as well. But it's a bridge. It's a nice bridge. It's a regular bridge. People walk their dogs there, tourists go there all the time. It looks really.
Speaker 4: Nice, it does it does have that you know, it's sort of covered in some lichen type of growth over growth, so I guess so it does have kind of an old timey look to it because you know, it is around surrounding it, it is quite beautiful, very lush green spaces, and this, you know, all tracks for being a pleasant dog walking situation. You know, a lot of times the dogs aren't aren't even leashed, and they're you know, sometimes able to kind of frolic around in some of the adjacent areas and maybe hopefully if they're doing their business on the bridge, their owners are kind enough to pick it up. But you know, they could also go down into the woods and so they're wild oats. That's not the expression, but you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Mm hmmm mm hmm.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and walking a dog off leash, now, knowing what we know, is a really bad idea. So if you ever plan on going out there, please leash your dog. We're going to get in that too, that a little later about leash law in that particular area, but yeah, just be careful.
Speaker 3: Uh yeah, in general, if you're in an area with a lot of humans honestly a lot of other animals, or you're in an area that that's unfamiliar territory to you and your you and your pooch, you should have your dog on a leash. As a matter of fact. If unless you have a working dog or a farm a farm dog of some sort, then't have the dog on a leash. Here's here's the issue. According to the legend, which is kind of recent. Since the nineteen fifties, locals have been referring to this not by the name the Overton Bridge, but by a couple of more distressing street names, the Bridge of Death or the Dog's Suicide Bridge, because again, according to the story, canines in particular have difficulty with this crossing. For the better part of a century, they've been purposely jumping from the bridge, often to their deaths, with no rational explanation. So what is going on here? Is a bridge driving man's best friend to quote unquote suicide. We'll dive into it after word from our sponsor. Here's where it gets crazy, all right, First we have to look at the sources. We know that local legends sometimes don't have the same rigorous scholarship you might expect from from other stories. Right, because people are communicating this orally and becomes part of folklore. In this case, we see that a lot of local historians and researchers estimate hundreds of dogs i've jumped from the bridge. And if you read the more extreme reports like tabloid reports and thinking of Daily Mail, The Sun and so on, they'll say as many as six hundred or more dogs have dropped off the bridge. At least fifty are said to have died. But the deal is there are multiple confirmed incidents of jumps and deaths like it has happened multiple times. It has been reported in multiple outlets. There's one full length book about it, called The Barren of Rainbow Bridge by a local author named Paul Owen. So far, that's the only book that is fully centered on this, but you'll see it pop up in a lot of anthologies about you know, unexplained mysteries, time life, books of the Unknown, and so on. So we don't know how many dogs have jumped, but we do know they have.
Speaker 4: Had you guys heard of this idea of Rainbow Bridge being associated with dogs passing into the afterlife? Yes, I had not until very very recently. I'm obviously this isn't the Rainbow Bridge also something of Norse mythology, or it certainly at least is in the The Thorn movies.
Speaker 3: M Yeah, the idea of a rainbow bridge in I guess in legends. It can change across culture, but you can you can see that it's been taken up in a lot of a lot of pet literature, like when a it's it's just this side of heaven a place called the rainbow bridge. When a very beloved pet dies, the pet goes to that rainbow bridge.
Speaker 4: And it was.
Speaker 3: Inspired from a Norse poem to help Danish people more in the loss of animals.
Speaker 4: Got it.
Speaker 3: That's that's my understanding.
Speaker 4: No, that sounds right. I mean not to get too morose about it. But the dog I was referring to earlier we recently had to have put down due to some some serious cancer that it's bread and gotten just completely to the point of, you know, causing quality of life to go seriously downhill. And a really great organization called Lap of Love that I think is national. They'll come to your home and you know, help transition your animal and as peaceful and you know, I guess comfortable away as possible. And the lovely doctor who did the procedure for us for Jude wrote us the loveliest letter, a handwritten letter, and referred to you know, Jude finding her way across the Rainbow bridge. And I had never heard that before.
Speaker 3: That's why I highly recommend Lap of Love whenever anybody asked me about putting having to help a pet move on, it's just much less scary for them when they're in a familiar place, probably taken to a veterinary now.
Speaker 4: And actually, I've been talking with you as part of what made me really realize how important that was, because just the stress and trauma, especially with the dog who has maybe lost the use of her legs or whatever it might be, having painful you know things that you know, moving just becomes really really difficult and painful. And this was we were able to kind of have her in our favorite spot, like on a sunny day, with like light coming through, with actual rainbows shining through some of these little rainbow things we have in our house, and it was really lovely. For lovely being a tricky term, but for what it was, we really were able to make it a peaceful, you know, family kind of you know, nice situation. So second, that really wonderful organization, you know.
Speaker 3: The quality of life thing has Unfortunately that that dilemma has come up for a lot of dog owners who have encountered this phenomenon at Overton Bridge, because we know that sometimes dogs do survive this plunge, but many of them suffer terrible, terrible injuries such that their quality of life is just not worth it. So to put the animal out of pain, they have to be euthanized. Others struggled to survive and perish soon after their injuries. In at least one instance, a dog apparently jumped from the bridge, survived and ran all the way back up the slope and then jumped off again. So that dog, that dog hads vinegar to them. Interestingly enough, there's not another spot like this in Dumbarton. There's not another spot like this in Scotland as far as we could tell. There's not another place like this in Europe, at least with this specific threat to dogs. It seems to be unique. And we'll get to the theories, but before we do, there's a very important timeline question. I believe a lot of our astute fellow conspiracy realist probably clocked it's this all right. The bridge is finished in late eighteen hundreds eighteen ninety five. We said, the legends say that the dog suicides began in the nineteen fifties. However, reports of these dog jump incidents and let's call him that. Let's call him dog jump incidents to stay away from the S word. Really, they didn't really hit the news until the early two thousands, like two thousand and three or four. So I mean, and we've got an example of what happened there with poor Hendrix.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's at least a story coming to us from the Daily Mail from October two thousand and six about a woman named Donna Cooper and her collie named Ben. By the way, they jumped off of this bridge.
Speaker 3: And that article cites an earlier example in two thousand and four when a guy named Kenneth Meekley and his family, along with their pooch golden retriever named Hendricks, were walking on the bridge. And this story has a lot of the same commonalities. We'll see multiple instances of this. The dog is fine and suddenly bolts on the bridge, jumps off the edge. Apparently they favor a a couple of certain spots in the bridge. Hendricks survive, but spent the rest of his life, absolutely fearing and hating that bridge as you do it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we're talking fifty ft drop, yeah, fifty feet straight yeah, and you know to what to like a rock, wooded rocks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like the Burn is a small river, so there's not enough there's not enough water there to cushing an impact.
Speaker 5: And just to give a little more of the number of dogs here, as we're estimating some of these according to that article from two thousand and six, they said, quote during one six month period of last year, so two thousand and five, five dogs jumped to their deaths. If that's you know, half a year, five dogs, there's a good chance that there are way more than maybe or even reported. Uh, but that's and that's those are the ones who died, right, who jumped to their deaths. So there may have been many more that jumped and hurt themselves.
Speaker 3: And it continues. I mean, if we fast forward to twenty fourteen, then we see Alice trevorro or trevorro who was walking with her dog, a cute little Springer Spaniel named Cassie. She reported a similar experience. And we've got a full quote here that comes from one of the anthology books. I mentioned Unsolved Enigmas, which was written by Sam Pilger and Leo moynihan. Now I'm not sure if he's related to Bobby moynihan from Saturday at Life. I don't know why I said that, Like that's the first detail people are gonna.
Speaker 4: Ask me about. Well, too many other moynihans. You know what is Bobby? That's not a super common Nay, there is job rule. We need him away in. We need him to give us his wisdom to bestow it upon us. So in twenty fourteen, Alice Trevoro is walking her Springer Spaniel Cassie, and had her own report of a strange incident on Overton Bridge. She had this to say. I had parked up, and as she is so obedient, I didn't put her lead on me and my son walked toward Cassie, who was staring at something above the bridge. She definitely saw something that made her jump. There is something sinister going on. It was so out of character for her. And this is from that book that you mentioned, been Unsalted Enigmas. I think the telling part here coming from a dog owner who maybe has no skin in the game per se, to like, you know, make a case for something sinister, a play is just the fact that this was out of character for the dog. You know, like owners know their dog's behavior and know what spooks them, and you know, probably what I ever would have done something like this to elicit such a reaction, you'd think would be noticeable.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, Okay, So that's the problem with the timeline too. The larger the macro issue where dogs who have an immensely long history in Scotland immediately jumping off this bridge as early as you know, eighteen ninety six and people, to your point, Matt, just weren't reporting it. Did something change between eighteen ninety five and the early nineteen fifties that prompted dogs to start jumping to seek this untimely end. That's an unfair way to put it. We'll get to the anthropomorphization later, but it doesn't stop here. The timeline issue leads us straight to the world of theory, and sadly, there is one incident in particular that must be cited. It does not concern dogs. This is an official disclaimer, folks. This is you're about to hear a pretty graphic description of human violence and unspeakable tragedy. So this may not be appropriate for all listeners. Go ahead and just fast forward about four or five minutes. Give you a time to push the fast forward all right. For everyone who's still with us, you need to know the story of a man named Kevin Moy. Kevin Moy was thirty two. He suffered from both paranoid schizophrenia, and he'd later be diagnosed with it, but he was known to suffer from depression since he had contracted myalgic encephalopathy eight years before. In nineteen ninety four, he began to be convinced that he was the devil and that his newborn son, was two weeks old at the time, was the Antichrist due to a birthmark on the child's head. On the first outing he had with his son, he threw the child over the bridge.
Speaker 4: Wow, it is hard to hear.
Speaker 3: In court, according to the testimony, it came out that he believed that he and his infant were to blame for the Gulf War, and that he and his son would destroy the world by infecting mankind with a virus if he did not immediately end both their lives. Of note, he also attempted to take his own life unsuccessfully before being apprehended by authorities, and he had told police he was doing this to save the world. At the trial, which took place on January thirtieth, nineteen ninety five, he was found not guilty due to insanity and remanded to the care of the state. This was based was a jury trial. It was based on the statements of four different psychiatrists. Or asking why did he choose this bridge? Moy believed that the location had a dark, ancient history, dating back to the age of the Druids, and this tragic incident leads us to the first theory, which is actually surprisingly popular among the locals. It's the concept of the thin place. Have you guys ever heard of thin places?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 5: No, it's where spooky. Well, imagine the rainbow bridge that we were talking about between Midguard and Asgard, right between the spiritual plane or the godly plane and our earthly realm Imagine that rainbow bridge, except it's really short, and that would be a thin place. In my opinion, at least, you only got to take a few steps and then you've crossed the entire rainbow bridge.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a thin place. You can see this in Stephen King novels. You can see this in so many works of fiction, the idea that there is a certain place they can function as a nexus between the unseen world and the world of the day. This is why so many folkloric depictions of encounters with other worldly forces take place at like a crossroads at midnight, right where at a certain glade when the stars and the moon or right. The concept of the thin place going across cultures is still It's something that's very strong in Celtic myth as well. There was one old Celtic saying that was weirdly enough out its way into New York Times that says Heaven and Earth are only three feet apart, but in thin places that distance is even shorter. So in this theory, one, thin places are real, and a lot of people still believe some version of that. We'd love to hear your personal experience with this. And two, dogs, by nature of their superpowers of sensation, are somehow more sensitive to these than the average person. So this would lead us to three. The idea that in an attempt to cross over that very short rainbow bridge like you're talking about, Matt, to the other side of the thin place, dogs are leaping toward what they perceives the other side. No evidence exists to prove anything anomalous about this location as far as scientists are concerned, but it's still it's still a belief that people are having. And doubtlessly, if hundreds of dogs haven't died as a result of this over the years, then doubtlessly, at least a few times somebody told their kids, you know, Buster Buster's body may be here, but he crossed the rainbow bridge, you know, because you want to do what you can to help your kids navigate that kind of grief. This is a doubter episode. Now, obviously, not everybody agrees with this concept of a thin place existing in the first place. I guess they would say the places are generally of the same spiritual thickness. Uh, But that's not the only explanation. One guy who disagrees with the thin place concept is that author we mentioned earlier, Paul Owen. In his work Paul and later interviews as well, Paul doesn't agree that a thin place is responsible. Now, he believes that there are thin places, you know, old standing stones and things of that sort, but he doesn't think the bridge is one of them. Instead, he believes the bridge is haunted, and he believes that this apparition is the prime mover of this tragic phenomenon.
Speaker 4: That's right, the spirit of Lady Overton, who is said to have you know, walked around this bridge after her husband passed in nineteen oh eight, referred to colloquially as the White Lady of Overton. There's an interview in the Huffington Post where Ohen acknowledge the following the thing that he observed. I was up there one summer's day and I felt a very strong jab, like a phantom finger, twice in my back. It was the sensation you get when you fear someone might push you over the edge of a train platform. It's a very strange place. One of the things peculiar to the location is that it can seem very peaceful and tranquil, but it can turn at a moment's notice. So weird vibe and felt like someone poked him in the back. Of course, that could also be one hundred other things, right.
Speaker 3: It could be a perceived sensation, It could be a twinge of a back muscle. But in Owen's defense, I think anybody with long term back problems will know that you recognize, you know, You know your own body, so if you have back spasms or twinges or back pain, you know what it feels like, and you wouldn't mistake it for a stranger giving you the poke hope Facebook style, the hokey poke missed it too late.
Speaker 5: Move on, all right, we talked about a little bit at the beginning. Let's go back to just how close this bridge is to the Overton House, the large ornate again like Gothic style mansion, let's call it. That's sitting right there. And it's literally if we're talking about how short the Ramow Bridge is, that it's a crazy short walk from the front door of that house or I guess the main entrance of that house to where this bridge is.
Speaker 3: It's a really fancy driveway.
Speaker 5: You're right, No, you described it perfectly, Ben. It's just it's strange to me when I'm imagining the white lady of Overton, you know, mourning the death of her husband. This would be a place where she would walk and contemplate, you know, death and everything, and where you would just feel all of those things. And if you know, we've talked about it before. We just talked about it in Fortnite and Robo about residual energy. If that exists, right, if someone's intense energy experience in one physical place could possibly remain there in some way, and if it can, then this would definitely be a physical location.
Speaker 2: Where that kind of energy would linger.
Speaker 3: Let's say, yeah, okay, So I may not be the best person to unpack this with everyone, because I do despite all the science I've read about this, I do inherently have a predisposition that causes me to believe there can be vibes left. I do believe that, and maybe science will ultimately disprove that, or maybe it will prove it, But right now the question remains out because science doesn't know how to answer it. So here, with all all that caveat, just to be fair to everybody about where I'm calling from, shout out Raymond Carver. There's something interesting they don't see brought up a lot in these conversations. So if there is a ghostly entity, and this ghostly entity is somehow causing, through its existence or through its intention, these deaths or these jumps, then why haven't any of the other countless thousands of people who doubtlessly died in that area over centuries had the same effect Why is it just the one? I argue it's because that one makes for a good story, does that? I mean, it's just a question of numbers at that point too. And then also the timeline. If she's mourning this death in nineteen oh eight, what gives why didn't it go into the Why was it only in the nineteen fifties? Is that when she passed away herself? You know, I don't know's it's.
Speaker 2: Being widely reported on.
Speaker 3: Is that when it's being wildly.
Speaker 5: Maybe people who lived in the area did have dogs or humans or whatever that jumped off the bridge before that, It's just nobody heard about it. It was a sad thing that happened in town, you know.
Speaker 3: And then also another thing about the ghost angle is if you are listening when this pot comes cast comes out in twenty twenty three, if you're alive in the modern day, you have walked over countless graves. A lot of people died before you got here, you know what I mean? The world is full of ghosts and that in that sense, I don't know, it's just maybe it's a little bit posthumously unfair dependent on one ghostly entity. But there's another issue too with the reporting in this sense, in a lot of reporting out of England. I'll say, you can see these comments that I don't. I'll defer to you guys, I don't think they're meant to be dismissive or derogatory, because they're always very careful to pull quotes from people living in Scotland when they say stuff like this. But you will almost inevitably see some sideline thing that says there are a lot of superstitions, paranormal belief the people, these people in Scotland, they've a step closer to the supernatural than the rest of us.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: And I don't know, it feels like it's a way of kind of othering a culture, if that makes sense.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but look at pictures of the Overton House. If you grow up playing around that place and you look up at some of those second story windows, third story windows, they've got the drapes like half closed. They're open, right, but they're just creeping in on these old, old, old window panes. It doesn't matter if there's somebody in there just hanging out reading. It's gonna give you creeped out vibes just from the Gothic architecture and the way those curtains look telling.
Speaker 3: You, yeah, you've probably been mistaken for a ghost at some point in your life. Folks, depending on where you hang out, right, we're all someone else's ghosts at some point. But yeah, that's a really good point too, Matt. And we've got a quote that came from The Independent from Alistair Dutton, who is a local taxi driver at the time of this interview, and Alistair says, people in Dunbarton are very superstitious. We grew up playing in the Overton grounds and we believe in ghosts here because we've all seen or felt spirits up here. And you see this in other cultures too, you know, you go, like we're talking about this in la Urna. You know, if you go into someone else's house culturally speaking, if you're in their neck of the woods and they tell you, hey, that lake is haunted. It doesn't matter if you believe in ghosts or not. Just don't be that guy in the horror movie. Just don't go to the lake. They're trying to help you, or they're running some kind of weird criminal operation and that's how they keep people out of the lake. We've all seen Scooby Doo I don't know how.
Speaker 4: The Scooby Doo gang is never wise to the fact that they're being had every time. And then of course then you get the the what is it the thirteen Ghosts of Scooby Doo where ghosts are now real? Yeah, also I believe in in a pup named Scooby Doo. There's some real spooks as well, but in the original series, always a creepy old man or some grifter trying to pull a scam.
Speaker 3: Because they were all just high. That's how they guess, particularly follow Velma. Velma's on the straight narrow, and she's functional. She's functional, but.
Speaker 4: She parties fair enough, fair enough.
Speaker 3: So so now that we've cast dispersion upon the moral standing Scooby dow uh, we we should probably answer one of the questions that we imagine naturally came to you, our fellow listeners here, What about the people who actually live in the Overton House? You know, Like, to your point, Matt, is it some like really creepy guy who who just vaguely says means stuff about dogs? Is he like, is there a gargamele in there with dogs as the Smurfs? Not? Not really, it's a guy from Texas.
Speaker 2: Yeah, isn't he part of the church or something?
Speaker 3: He runs? Uh? He runs a charity to help women in unfortunate situations from the Overton House. Well, that's where he lives. He and his family lived there. But his job at he said time at the interviews, was running this charity.
Speaker 5: Wow, charity must be going really well.
Speaker 4: Uh wow?
Speaker 2: Where did he make his money?
Speaker 5: M Okay, anyway, that's just a really expensive looking house, y'all.
Speaker 2: That's all it is.
Speaker 3: It's a definitely it's definitely something that the only way most podcasters could buy it is if they teamed up and made like an Instagram HiPE house and had fifteen roommates.
Speaker 5: No, if they verboed it for a day and a half.
Speaker 2: That's how. That's how you get it.
Speaker 3: What is verbo?
Speaker 4: What is VERBOI?
Speaker 5: Oh, I'm renting the house for whatever? What what's the really popular one? I'm an Airbnb like right, that's how you get it?
Speaker 3: Okay, okay for a day.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: But his response, you know, is, hey, Scotland's weird man golf.
Speaker 4: I mean, come on, what kind of people do that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Bob Hill says exactly that. He says, there's a lot of the supernatural here, it's very common in people's lives. And then he says Overton, the Overton area in particular is quote more spiritual than other parts. That's Texan Pastor Bob Hill. But he doesn't necessarily buy it as the explanation. He has one that requires neither superstition nor belief in the divine or the infernal or alternate dimensions. He's like Dennis Reynolds and it's always sunny in Philadelphia. He's basically saying, what about the smell? You haven't thought about the smell? Which leads to our next possibility.
Speaker 4: Gotta say, I like the idea that Texas Pastor Bob Hill is Bobby Hill from King of the Hill, all grown up and then having found God. And also, you know, it kind of jives with his whole showmanship in the character God'm sorry, guys, I was getting excited about the new King of the Hill series coming out. No, you haven't thought about the smell, have you you?
Speaker 3: Which leads to our people, Yeah, which leads to our next possibility. We're gonna pause here for word from our sponsors, and then we'll go to the last big theory, which has we'll find may not still explain what's going on at overton Bridge. Okay, I'm getting the realm of science, the scientific take. To answer this, we have to go back to the question we posed at the beginning, which is this, do dogs, like some human beings, commit suicide? Would they purposely take their own lives? Do animals at all do this thing that the human animal does? To answer that, we're going to lean on a great house stuff works article by our old pal Jessica Toothman. Hey Jessica, and Hey Matt, do you remember Jessica.
Speaker 4: I do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, it might have been a little before your time, nol. She might have moved on.
Speaker 5: Ye.
Speaker 4: I don't think we cross paths, but this article is definitely on point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and shout out to Jessica's former co worker now husband Andrew because they actually they are a workplace romance gone right, and congratulations to you to so. In Jessica's article do animals commit suicide? She points out that experts largely don't believe that most animals are capable of what of suicide in the human sense. We know that animals can and do die on purpose, right, but it may not have the same emotional motivating factors, Like, think about the octopus. Unless it gets a very specific kind of exciting brain surgery that's still on the fringe of science and I think is being actively repressed, then reproducing will trigger a hormonal kill switch in the octopus. Reproduction is a death sentence. Or think of all the self sacrificial tactics that different insects will take, right like when bees will swarm around a wasp to increase the body temperature of the wasp and they're sacrificed themselves to cook it. Or how you know, speaking of bees, how they've got one sting and then they're out. I can't imagine that's that's a that's a real kick in the pants biologic.
Speaker 4: To die on such an aggressive note, you know, and such a state of of duress just doesn't seem like a good way to go.
Speaker 3: Imagine if you could punch people once.
Speaker 4: Once and then you're dead. Everybody got to make that punch count.
Speaker 3: Everybody's like one punch man. Well, sad thing is gets way more intense. Oh.
Speaker 4: The sad thing though, is that the bee. It's it's not like they have to do it on purpose either, right, Like if someone like touches a bee, they could get stung or like grabs a bee or something, or maybe they do do it on purpose. But my point is, do they know it's going to kill them? Probably not.
Speaker 3: Well, it's for the good of it's for the good or the hive.
Speaker 4: Right, Well, that goes back to the whole question of animals. Do they know? What do they know? When? Do they know it? You know, do the dogs know if they throw themselves off this bridge is going to do them harm? Probably not, certainly not in the way that we're describing it or talking about ideas of suicide. Right.
Speaker 5: I want to posit that I do not believe that any of these dogs that have jumped off of this bridge believe or think in the moment that whatever action they're taking is going to cause them any harm whatsoever.
Speaker 2: Same, And I.
Speaker 5: Only know this because of the motivation factors that I've identified in my two dogs. And and it's there's like three or four things, right. It's they were outside and they smell something, and they will go crazy trying to identify where that scent is coming from. They see something in the woods and they're trying to track it with their eyes and as they move and they'll run along the fence to watch it and move with it. If they hear something like if they're in the house and they hear, like one of my dogs, if she hears thunder, even far in the distance that I can't detect, she gets nervous. Or if they hear the raccoons that are on my porch, apparently they go nuts. And what was the other one?
Speaker 2: Oh? Food?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, food, And then maybe some fear motivation like well, thunder would cover the fear motivation as well as the auditory motivation. Yeah, I agree with you. And also, of course, just to add this in here, yes, some higher order animals that's not the most fair term, but some higher order animals do appear to die of grief or heartbreak. That also happens, but none of those things are the same as when the human primate contemplates or commits the act of taking its own life. And in all the documented cases of canine death or injury on this unfortunate bridge, not a single doggo exhibited signs of distress or malaise in the days or hours leading up to their incident. If one to explain this lean on zoology, If you're a zoologists, you want to look at a couple things to understand these behaviors, similar to what mattch just wonderfully broke down the nature of the animal, the organism in question, as well as the nature of the environment in which the animal exhibits that behavior. And this is we're going to cut some stuff out of here real quick. So one of the questions we would have to have is what about the sounds. What if there is a sound that is outside of human hearing range, but as a siren call to dogs that's very easy to measure. It does not appear to be the case. People have also said, well there's a nearby nuclear plant, perhaps that could explain it. That doesn't seem to be the case. In twenty ten, this animal behaviorist named doctor David Sands teamed up with some folks and gave the first real scientific investigation of this phenomenon. His can cclain illusion really informs our conclusion on the show. He says, look, these canines are not purposely taking their own lives. They're chasing something and as not a rainbow bridge. Look at the dogs who've jumped from the limited demographic data we have, a lot of them are long nosed hunting breeds, the kinds that are drawn to scents, and what kind of animals tend to live in these small rivers in the forest. Mammals of some sort. And then he also said, think about how tall a dog is, think about their chase instinct, especially if they're hunting or working dog. They don't have the visual perspective to see that the ground has dropped. Right, the last time they remember the ground, it was entering the bridge and there's this slope. So to them, from their perspective, the bridge is over level ground. They're just on a weird part of the ground that happens to have these two walls on either side, so they don't clock that there's a fifty foot drop and these smells are coming up from the river, you know, thinking of things like minks that one gets brought up a lot minks or pine martins right, or I don't know, field mice. You know, insert any large prey mammal here. What would you do. You're walking by and you smell it, and as far as you know, it's just over the side of the wall.
Speaker 5: I think this is extremely valid. Again, if you look at pictures of this bridge and consider how short it is in length. And then also look at what the bridge looks like as you're entering onto it. If you are at a dog's height, doesn't matter how tall your dog is, like a little Scottish Terrier to a Dalmatian at that height walking along, it doesn't look like there's a drop off at all. So you know, if you can just imagine the dog would have no sense. As you said, Ben, that there's a fifty foot drop after that. No matter which side you enter that bridge from, it doesn't look like there's a huge drop there, and that's because of how relatively far out onto the land that bridge stretches.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and again it's a short bridge. As you pointed out, there were some hunters, I believe, who originally said, well, I've been here for quite some time, there's no mink in the area, but that was disputed by a guy named David Sexton, who joined doctor Sands in this investigation. And Sexton said, Hey, one end of this bridge in particular has nest of minks and squirrels and mice, and they all produce smells. So this seems to be, at least for my money, this seems to be the most likely theory because it requires us to prove the smallest amount of things. The first two theories rely on cultural interpretation and frankly a couple things modern science can't measure yet, let alone prove. But the third still needs some additional testing, you know, to be water tight or to pass the stiff test.
Speaker 2: Oh, very nice, man.
Speaker 5: Water is really important as well, because who is the I watched a short documentary on this from a long a little while ago.
Speaker 2: A guy named David Sands.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's doctor David Sands did the investigation.
Speaker 5: Okay, so he's the one who even notes when he's standing on top of that bridge that you can constantly hear running water. But if you look down, the water isn't very deep at all. It's not a dry creek bed by any means, but there's not a ton of water flowing. But it sounds like there's a lot of water moving as well. So I'm also imagining that if the dog even understands in some way that there's a drop there, the sound may trick them into believing that there's deep enough water for them to jump into water the way they maybe.
Speaker 4: Have in the past splash around. Good old time.
Speaker 3: Totally makes sense. I mean, this is the thing. In the meantime, people are learning to be more careful with their canines around this area, more careful with their pets. Overton Bridge is not a bad place. It doesn't have a bad vibe. It's a beautiful piece of local history. Tourist, pedestrians and canines go there all the time. It's just you know, keep your dog on a leash, especially around that part, around any drop like this, because if the scientific causes are the explanation, and again they seem the most likely, then it would mean that logically this place is probably not unique just because of the geography. Well, and you know, I'm talking about smells.
Speaker 4: I mean things around bodies of water or as you know, like after it rains, like smells kind of carry further. So if you're in a very like moist climax, you know, like Scotland, you're surrounded by running water and all of this greenery, those smells for certain types of dogs, you know, are gonna be very tempting.
Speaker 5: Guys, I think I may have found it, and you're right, nol. The American mink is an invasive species in.
Speaker 2: Scotland, Okay.
Speaker 5: It arrived in or late nineteen twenties so early nineteen thirties. Hmmm, I like this go on right, there were deliberate releases of mink and breeding that were occurring in nineteen fifty six. Okay, the mink population. This is according to Invasive Species dot Scott so Scottish invasive species. What guys, it's right around.
Speaker 3: The British number one and the mink number two right as invasive species.
Speaker 5: I'm just pointing this out to say maybe this was an invasive species around that time when we started hearing about things jumping off that bridge.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 5: Oh, and there's another really interesting thing. In two thousand and four there was one of the first mink control projects that was in Aberdeenshire. Aberdeenshire, guys, what if the dogs like just started picking up on this mink smell for the first time right around the early windows.
Speaker 4: It's great. It's really helpful with the timeline for sure. And you know what else. Minks are known for their musk. Oh, mink musk is actually a profitable product. If you type in mink musk you get all kinds of entries for like websites, Minnesota trapline products, you know, for attracting other minks. Mink musk, mink glands, you know, for sale and all of that stuff. They are known for excreting a very potent aroma.
Speaker 3: Which is how they come up as usual suspects. So this is our this is what we think is the most likely explanation. It doesn't exactly have to be minx, but there's some compelling, circumstantial evidence that they can be. They could be the culprit here unwittingly. So with that in mind, we want to hear your stories. Do you think this explains it? Do you think there's something else out there? And most importantly, does your neck of the Global woods have any other similar unusual places. If so, let us know. We can't wait to hear from you. We try to be easy to find online.
Speaker 4: We are. You can find it the handle conspiracy Stuff on Twitter, YouTube, and Facebook. Also check us out on Instagram and we're doing all kinds of fun content also, some of which ends up on YouTube, but you can find this on Instagram with the handle conspiracy Stuff Show, as well as on TikTok. We also find some of those fun little breadcrumbs of content.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, guys can add one more mink thing before I tell people how to call us please, I'm sorry to keep going.
Speaker 4: On this with love God, please no make it up.
Speaker 5: Going back to doctor Sands who tested the sense of three different animals, Ben that you mentioned what was a was mink, squirrels, and mice.
Speaker 2: I think uh.
Speaker 5: In the way he admits it's unscientific testing, it's not controlled testing. But in his tests with ten dogs where he released them their three different scents, the dogs could go to mice, squirrels, or mink, seven out of the ten dogs went directly to the mink scent, which just is an unscientific way of showing that these dogs of all different breeds tend to at least be most interested in the mink versus the other two cents just put it out.
Speaker 4: Cracked it. But Matt, if anyone else has anything to add to this theory, what are some other ways they can reach out to us if they don't want to do the whole social media regamarole, The rumors are correct.
Speaker 3: You can reach us any time of night or day. If you're one of those at our phone number one eight three three std WYTK, you'll hear a beep after a familiar voice, or we hope it's familiar. At this point, after which you'll have three minutes. Those three minutes of yours go nuts. Give yourself a street name and aka a moniker that you always wanted. Tell us what's on your mind. Tell us whether we can use your name and or message on the air. Most importantly, if you have ancillary links, if you have pictures you want to show, if you want to go into more detail than three minutes gives you, then you can contact us at our favorite way to be contacted, our good old fashioned email address. All you have to do is drop us a line.
Speaker 4: Where we are conspiracy at iHeartRadio dot com.
Speaker 5: Stuff they don't want you to know is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.