Speaker 1: It's podcast. Welcome to Meet Eater Trivia, the only game show where conservation always wins. I'm your host, Spencer Newhart, and today we're joined by Stephen Ranella, Chester, Floyd Crin, Schneider, Hayden Sam and Seth Morris, Randall Williams and Ben Dedamante. Ben, this is your second time on the show. How do you feel about your chances this time around? Oh, they're way better based on what what do you think? Well, maybe I'll get some of the same questions as last time. You know, Oh, okay, never happened before. I do like you, Ben, but not that much. Right now. This is a ten round quizt show with questions from Meat Eater's four verticals, which are hunting, fishing, conservation and cooking, and there is a prize. Meat Eater will donate five hundred dollars to the conservation organization of the winners choosing and each week here on Trivia, we reveal a new stat for the stat of the Week. This week we're looking at Ben's performance from the last time he was on the show. Ben competed in the first Light Ambassador episode and got five correct answers, which was good enough for third place behind Clay Newcomb and Tony Peterson said second, second or third? That's I said. Now. Ben crushed it in three of four categories. He got sixty seven percent of questions right in hunting and conservation and fifty percent of questions right in fishing, but scored a zero in the category of cooking. Ben, do you anticipate that being a hole in your game again today or was that performance in episode three point fifty eight just a fluke.
Speaker 2: I think I was a little hungry and that might have thrown me.
Speaker 3: Off in the kicking.
Speaker 1: Okay, do you fish a little bit, just enough, not as much, just enough to get fifty percent of your fishing questions right?
Speaker 4: Yeah? On the we were talking, how are you why know when you when you throw them a bone? Is it like a shed hunting bone?
Speaker 1: We'll see, we'll see. I think the room may know when it gets there.
Speaker 4: Okay, that was a good one, Steve. Yeah, did you come up with that?
Speaker 1: I didn't the joke the way you were going there for No, no, no, no no no.
Speaker 4: I meant he's up for later. Well said that a good joke, like throwing them a bone. Okay, collecting bone?
Speaker 1: Now we have some housekeeping, it get to you. In a previous game of trivia, we had a tiebreaker between Jannis and Tony Peterson with a twist. They agreed that if someone who wasn't in overtime got the answer right on the nose, then they would be declared the winner. And that's exactly what happened when Tyler Jones snatched the victory from Jannis by answering that there are Eastern Turkeys in thirty eight states. Well, within fifteen minutes of that show ending, word had traveled to Steve about what went down. And then I got a phone call Steve, tell folks what you told me about that tie breaker.
Speaker 4: Something to the effect of that ain't gonna be how it goes down.
Speaker 1: Do you want more? Do you wanna share more of how the phone call went? I wrote down some notes here after an accurate representation.
Speaker 4: I remember being flabbergasted to hear that. And there's just no way I'm going to participate in something like that.
Speaker 1: And how did how did word get to you so fast? You weren't even in the office when that went down.
Speaker 4: Like I don't remember, Brody makes sense?
Speaker 1: What was Brody's take on the situation? Did he get you riled up?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah he did. Now, well I know Brody didn't like it, and Brody wasn't either. Well, I know, but think about how stupid it is. You could have someone with a zero, you have some of the zero, throw out some random ass number.
Speaker 1: You know, still win. Now, I wrote, that sounds ridiculous.
Speaker 4: I wrote, like, at the super Bowl they go get the worst possible team, they'd be like, oh, you could play too. I know you can't play three. That's a horrible analogy.
Speaker 2: If you catch your past that goes into the stands.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, oh yeah, if you yeah at the World Series, Like, but you can have all your players in the outfield and if one of your players catches a homer, you win the World Series?
Speaker 1: Right, it would be just like that. You're right now. I wrote down some of my favorite Steve rihsms from that conversation. You called me a communist. You said that I must be hanging out with elementary kids too much, and then you declared that if I ever do that again, I'll need to ask Clay if trivia can air on the Bear Grease speed because it's days on the Meat Eater Network would be over so here's the deal. We're not going to do that again, Steve. We're not going to have the tiebreaker that way. But what do you think some other iteration of like if somebody does hit it on the nose, we add an extra hundred dollars donation, or they get to choose worthy five hundred dollars donation goes, or just scrap the idea altogether. You hate it that much, Yeah, I could see like a hundred bucks or something. That's what we'll do. Then if somebody in the tiebreaker who wasn't in the tiebreaker hits it right on the nose, we then have a six hundred dollars donation.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's not like a full perfect score.
Speaker 1: That's right, which is a thousand dollars.
Speaker 4: That's good. Now.
Speaker 1: The Shelby Index for this round of trivia is a two, but I think our winner will be in the six to seven range. And with that we're onto the game of trivia. Play the drop phill.
Speaker 2: Look, I need to know what I stand to win everything? How's that?
Speaker 4: Just tend to win everything? Demon Suckers.
Speaker 1: Question one. The topic is fishing, and as always, this will be multiple choice. Rotten Tomatoes declared a sequel to this movie as the tenth worst movie of all time? Is it a river runs through it? Free Willie, Grumpy old Men or Jaws?
Speaker 5: Again?
Speaker 1: The topic is fishing. Rotten Tomatoes declared a sequel to this movie as the tenth worst movie of all time. A river runs through it, free Willy, grumpy old men, or Jaws. A sequel to one of those movies is the tenth worst movie of all time via Rotten Tomatoes. Steve with a confident answer, No, no, okay, A quick answer, I got it narrowed well, okay again, the choice is A river runs through it, free, Willy, grumpy old men, Jaws? Steve, how many of those movies have you seen?
Speaker 4: Do you mean the sequel?
Speaker 1: Regular movie? River runs through it? Free Willy, No, grumpy old men, Jaws? See a little bit educated in this field? Chester, a lot of hemn and Han Does everybody else have an answer?
Speaker 3: Free Willy?
Speaker 4: He kills a killer whale?
Speaker 1: Only I don't remember that?
Speaker 2: Goes No?
Speaker 1: Is everybody ready?
Speaker 4: They do the opposite?
Speaker 1: Ahead your answer, Steve says Jaws, Ben says grumpy old men, Corinn says free Willy. Hayden says Jaws. Randall says free, Willy Seth says free, Willy Chester says A river runs through it. The correct answer is Jaws.
Speaker 4: Oh off your good story.
Speaker 1: Steve off to a good start, he declares.
Speaker 4: Jaws Their Revenge.
Speaker 1: Was released in nineteen eighty seven as the third sequel to the nineteen seventy five classic. It has a zero percent critics score and fifteen percent audience score on Rotten Tomatoes. One review said, quote, It's illogical, tension free, and filled with cut rate special effects. Jaws The Revenge is a sorry chapter in a once proud franchise. Other movies on the top ten list include Super Babies two, Nicholas Cage's movie Left Behind in two thousand and two's version of Pinocchio, Steve just wanting to say how much I love grumpy old men.
Speaker 3: Move both of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no way they'd be on the top ten.
Speaker 2: Rochester, that was the only one I could think of that Actually, like, I knew about a sequel, so I just deducing three of them.
Speaker 4: Have Bielberg must not have made the Jaws that.
Speaker 1: I don't know how that went. The critics did not like it. A river runs through it, did not have did not have a sequel, but it was long rumored that that would be one, and it was called a river runs to it. If they were going to do a sequel, that's what it was.
Speaker 6: Going to be.
Speaker 1: That's what they said.
Speaker 2: You can't.
Speaker 1: That is never happened.
Speaker 3: Call it a river runs into a reservoir.
Speaker 1: Question to the topic is public lands. This next great question comes to is via Luke. Well, Nikki. If you have a question you think it's right for media to trivia, you can send it to trivia at the medeater dot com. The Kasachi National Forest, which is the only national forest in this southern state, was commemorated in twenty fifteen with a quarter that featured a wild turkey. The Kisachie National Forest, which is the only national forest in this southern state, was commemorated in twenty fifteen with a quarter that featured a wild turkey. Again, not enough Southern representation in this room. Chester, I think, is the only one to come up with an answer so far and Steve, but they don't look confident.
Speaker 2: That's a doozy.
Speaker 1: The Kisachie National Forest, which is the only national forest in this southern state, was commemorated in twenty fifteen, with a quarter that featured a wild Turkey quiet room thinking real hard, Chester, how do you feel about your chances on this one as one of the only people to come up with an answer so far? Not very good, Steve, same boat, not great, Okay, not good. Leave the door open for the rest of the room though, Saschi National Forest. Only national forest in this southern state.
Speaker 4: All right, let's go, let's go.
Speaker 1: Most of the room has not come up with an answer yet. Steve is getting impatient. How are we doing over there? Randall? Hayden, Corinn, you got your answers, I got a wild guess, Seth.
Speaker 3: Ben just just did some shed hunting in southern states, so maybe he knows.
Speaker 1: Hayden, are you ready go ahead and reveal your answers? We have Steve saying South Carolina. Ben sang Florida. Karin sang Kansas. Hayden sang North Carolina. Randall sang Louisiana, Seth saying Mississippi. Chester saying South Carolina. We have a correct answer in the room. It's Louisiana, Randall. Randall's got it right.
Speaker 4: What did you put for the first one?
Speaker 1: Uh? Free? William jealous?
Speaker 7: I was I thought it was a trick question because the main character is a mammal, because he doesn't question fishing the category and is about a whale. So I just thought maybe there was a I don't know.
Speaker 1: The Kisachi National Forest is incredibly biodiverse, with over two hundred and fifty species of mammals, birds, reptiles, and amphibians. Their quarter, which was released in twenty fifteen, shows a tom turkey in flight. It is one of only five national forests that the United States Mint has featured in their Beautiful Quarters program. Question three, The topic is hunting. The world record non typical elk, which was killed in Utah in two thousand and eight, was known by this nickname.
Speaker 3: Would this be the bone?
Speaker 6: Not?
Speaker 1: I'll repeat the question again, Seth. The world record non typical elk, which was killed in Utah in two thousand and eight was known by this nickname. Steve with a very quick answer, this is the bone?
Speaker 2: Though.
Speaker 1: Are you gonna get this one right?
Speaker 3: Ben?
Speaker 1: I think so, okay, this is the.
Speaker 4: It's like, come on, that's where he's from.
Speaker 2: Uh huh, there's big news.
Speaker 4: He likes it.
Speaker 1: He likes the antlers, likes antlers. This is the bone. I'll tell you this is the bone, this is the shed. Don't let me down here, Ben Steeve, you know this one. Though rest of the room looks okay, I think we'll have more right answers. Does everybody have the I think so the nickname Krin. Are you gonna get this one? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Steve saying spider bull, Ben saying spider bull, Krin saying double wide, Hayden and Randall saying spider bull, Seth saying the King Chester saying spider bull. They got it. The correct answer is spider.
Speaker 4: Bull, and we have a correct answer.
Speaker 1: The spider Bull scored over four hundred and seventy eight inches, which was thirteen inches bigger than the pre record. He was killed on public land in Utah by a hunter who held the Governor's tag and was guided by moss Back outfitters. The Elk was famous before it was even killed, as videos went viral that summer of the bowl in velvet. The nickname was inspired by the antlers being splayed out like a spider's legs. Ben, how big of a deal was that? In your world?
Speaker 2: It was a very big deal.
Speaker 4: Controversial, Yeah, the governor's tag, or because the governor's tag, they could hunt it before the season.
Speaker 2: Right, there was that and then any weapon, right, Yeah, nobody ever has any sheds off of that bowl, and it was unknown until that year, so there's a lot.
Speaker 1: What does that make it controversial?
Speaker 4: Though?
Speaker 2: If it was a farm bowl, that was a lot of people said it was a farm bowl that turned out Yeah, so there was, but there was one set that showed up that possibly could have been him, so kind of quelled the conservers the controversy a little.
Speaker 1: Bit, but people still.
Speaker 2: I mean, if you go talk to your average Joe in Utah, half the people say as a farm bowl, probably really? But yeah, And did.
Speaker 1: You personally know about that elk before it was killed? Nope. Now I'd heard rumors about it.
Speaker 2: Somebodies of mind filmed it invelve it and then I'd heard about it, But I don't think anybody knew it was quite that big before they killed it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think the hunter was from Idaho maybe, and Danny Austin, as it goes with most of those Idaho tanks, right, he had a fleet of guides that were looking for that ball, and I think, yeah, he kind of rolled in and finished it. Yeah, that was like a super shot.
Speaker 4: I don't know, but people are gonna when something like that happens, people are going to really like any chink in the.
Speaker 2: Army for sure. Oh yeah, they will swarm.
Speaker 4: To They're going to really like anything that would be that. It wasn't what it seems to be sure.
Speaker 1: That was the spider Bull. Question four. The topic is conservation. This next great question comes to us via Houston Wilson. If you have a question you think is right for media to trivia, you can send it to Trivia at the mediator dot com. Name one of the five states with the most deer farms in America. Name one of the five states with the most deer farms in America. Quick answers for most of the room. Everybody ready, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Steve saying Pennsylvania, Ben saying Texas, Corrinne Hayden, Randall All saying Texas, Says saying Pennsylvania, Chester saying Texas. The five states are Texas, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan, Minnesota. Everybody got it right. I was surprised that Seth and Steve went a little against the grain there with Pennsylvania. That was kind of cocky, but it worked out well.
Speaker 4: It's kind of the birthplace of deer farming.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Penn State has a deer farm birthay do research.
Speaker 1: According to Penn State University, those five states over sixty percent of America's deer farms. Deer farming is legal in about forty states. The National Deer Association opposes captive deer opagation, saying the practice can introduce novel diseases and promote the privatization of wildlife. Question five, The topic is cooking. We will get a scoreboard update from Phil after this. Merriam Webster defines this Russian dish as quote meat that slice thin and cooked in a sauce of sour cream, mustard, onion, and condiments. Again, the topic is cooking. Merriam Webster defines this Russian dish as quote meat that sliced thin and cooked in a sauce of sour cream, mustard, onion, and condiments. Quick answer from Steve's Mustard. I'm just telling you what Merriam Webster says, but you're probably right about that, Hayden. You're gonna get this one right. Yeah, Randall I think, I don't think, so okay again, this is question five. Merriam Webster finds this Russian dish as quote, meat that sliced thin and cooked in a sauce of sour cream, mustard, onion, and condiments. Ben, we just discussed how cooking was a hole in your game last time. Are you going to get this one right?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Okay, I might not get this one right. Actually, just had to pick up your phone to uh, I did not. I did not.
Speaker 4: I did not.
Speaker 5: You should have seen how much he was on his phone last year.
Speaker 1: Over there.
Speaker 4: No, no, I was. I was dealing with a certain podcasting issue that we had to rectify immediately.
Speaker 1: Does everybody have an answer for the Russian dish that's meat sliced thin and cooked in a sauce of sour cream, mustard, onion, and condiments.
Speaker 4: Sound that great?
Speaker 1: It's everybody ready?
Speaker 4: Go ahead, and son of a bitch, you guys.
Speaker 1: Got Ben says Ruben corinceas Stroganoff Hayden says strogan Off Hayden, with Randall without an answer, Seth saying strogan Off Chester without an answer. The correct answer is strogan Off mustard noodle. Thing talks about That's.
Speaker 3: Why I said I didn't think I didn't strogan Off down, because that is I like.
Speaker 1: This meal is named after Count strogan Off, a Russian aristocrat who had the meal created by his French chef. The original recipe used a French mustard and Russian sour cream to season the meat. If you want a more modern version, then check out Lucas Leaf's recipe on the mediater dot com called braised bison strogan Off. See or you could kicking yourself for not getting that one right. Yeah, I mean, come on, how many times a year do you make strogan Off?
Speaker 4: You think none?
Speaker 1: Never? No, Okay, you don't like it, kids don't like it.
Speaker 4: It's just not on my repertoire.
Speaker 1: I'm sure you make some things that are close though, like in that but't it?
Speaker 4: But yeah, saw stuff man. But uh no, it's ridiculous that I didn't get that right.
Speaker 7: I'm disappointed I missed it, but I'm equally as delighted about Count Stroganoff.
Speaker 3: Phil.
Speaker 1: We are halfway through the game of trivia. Give us a scoreboard update.
Speaker 5: Sure thing, it's a pretty good game. Everyone's doing all right. We got Seth corinne Chester and Ben all of two points apiece. Steven Randall have three, and in first place is Hayden samok with four points.
Speaker 4: That's not gonna hold. What did I do to you?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 4: I'm just like, I'm just saying that's not gonna hold.
Speaker 1: Phil. We need a little more energy because Hayden's in first place. Is that? Is that why you delivered that so somber? No, I don't know.
Speaker 5: Sometimes when I'm editing the podcast, I'm like, I gotta ton it down.
Speaker 1: You brought too much energy.
Speaker 5: Other time I'll bring I'll bring it back up right.
Speaker 4: Sizing the energy No. One.
Speaker 3: Ruth's Raide.
Speaker 1: Question six. The topic is woodsmanship. The use of this insecticide that starts with a P makes it seventy four times less likely that you'll be bit by a tick. Come on, the use of this insecticide that starts with a P makes it seventy four times less likely that you'll be bit by a tick. Steve thinks it's too easy, but it looks.
Speaker 4: Like the nature of this question makes it ninety more likely that you'll get it right.
Speaker 1: You're going to struggle. I like these lobs. Are you going to get this one? Ben?
Speaker 2: Yes? Oh?
Speaker 1: Okay, krinn may not. The rest of the room looks pretty confident. Randall, you're going to get this one.
Speaker 7: I think so.
Speaker 1: The use of this insecticide that starts with a P makes it seventy four times less likely that you'll be bit by a tick Karinn. No pressure. Better think. We're waiting on you. You give up, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Steve saying permathrin, Ben saying permathrin Karinn without an answer, Hayden and Randall, everyone else saying permathrin. They got it. The correct answer is permathrin. I should have made you guys spell it. There were some creative spellings there, permethrin, something like that permethrine. Okay, I'm saying it wrong, then permathrinn. It can be used to treat and here. Most applications are odorless and lasts for six weeks, making a great choice for foragers and hunters. According to a two thousand and one study, the best place to apply it is from your feet to your shins. This was tested against other areas like your waist, chest, and head.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna put it on the top of my head.
Speaker 1: Question seven. The topic is conservation. This is our Listener Question of the Week, which was won by Will Farr for sending this great question. Will is going to get a book signed by Steve. There are only six hundred of these left in the wild, which are considered to be the tallest bird in North America at five feet tall. There are only six hundred of these left in the wild, which are considered to be the tallest bird in North America at five feet tall. The room looks stumped. Maybe Randall has it. Steve, uh looks like he's thinking on it. Only six hundred of them left in the wild, and they're considered the tallest bird in North America. Ben, are you gonna get this one right?
Speaker 2: Uh? No?
Speaker 1: Ben? What's the next stop on you shed hunting tour?
Speaker 2: I'm knocking out Montana on this rip, and then probably just start. I may go to Maine. I might fly out and look for some moose paddles after that.
Speaker 1: Really in Maine? Have you been there before?
Speaker 3: Nope?
Speaker 2: Stoked?
Speaker 1: Is it guaranteed you come home with one or not?
Speaker 2: No? But I think there's pretty good odds with the numbers out there.
Speaker 1: Again, only six hundred of these left in the wild, which are considered the tallest bird in North America at five feet tall. Does everybody who's going to come up with an answer have an answer?
Speaker 4: Second?
Speaker 1: Okay, another second? Randall, are you going to get this one?
Speaker 7: I think I have a decent guess, Hayden, Now I got I'm listening to like the most basic thing I could think of.
Speaker 4: But I know it's wrong because we can think of a bunch of other things through probably taller.
Speaker 1: Seth, how about you?
Speaker 3: Not a chance? I don't think.
Speaker 1: Steve, how we doing over here?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 4: It's not good, dude.
Speaker 1: Is everybody ready? You go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Steve saying mute swan, Ben saying great blue heron, Krin saying a kind of stork. Hayden sang condor, Randall saying whooping crane, Seth saying California, condor Chester saying flamingo. The correct answer is whooping crane. Randall got it right.
Speaker 4: I accidentally wrote whooping cranes also have a wingspan of seven and a half feet.
Speaker 1: Their populations plummeted due to habitat loss and unregulated hunting, and by nineteen forty there were only twenty one left on Earth. Biologists believe that every whooping crane around today descended from a small flock that breeds in Texas.
Speaker 4: You know how I was saying, Hold on a minute, I was trying to think of that.
Speaker 1: You're trying to come up with whooping crane? Have you ever seen one?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 1: Where?
Speaker 4: Yes? In the Texas Gulf Coast?
Speaker 3: Yeh didn't we see him?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 1: Yeah, an of a gun.
Speaker 4: So if you think about it, definitely see one like that should.
Speaker 3: Count Uh huh.
Speaker 1: You're probably one of the few people to have seen one. This room one of the six hundred left.
Speaker 4: Question eight.
Speaker 1: We'll get a scoreboard update from Phil after this. The topic is mountain men. This mountain man whose parents were a slave owner and slave went by the nickname bloody Arm. Steve with a confident answer, no one else. Again, This mountain man whose parents were a slave owner and slave went by the nickname bloody Arm. Steve, you got this one right? Do you like this mountain man? You just don't want to give any hints we talk about it, Okay, you got Steve. May be the only one who gets this.
Speaker 7: I am struggling.
Speaker 1: This mountain man, whose parents were a slave owner and slave went by the nickname bloody Arm. I think Brody would get this if he were here. The rest of the room is struggling. Seth, you had an answer, You think you give a chance at Hayden has his eyes crossed over there. He's thinking so hard Are you gonna come up with an answer? Hidden?
Speaker 4: No, No, I'm not.
Speaker 1: It's everybody ready, Randall undefeated. Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have, Steve saying Jim Beckworth, Ben sang Liver, Eaton, Johnson, Corin saying Colter Hayden, sang Leroy Jenkins, Randall without an answer saying Fitzgerald Chester saying Hugh Glass, Steve got it. The correct answer is James Beckworth. Beckworth's dad was from a prominent white Virginia family, and his mom was one of that family slaves. Beckworth's parents moved to Missouri when he was a young child, where he was raised as a free son of a successful farmer. Beckworth gained the nickname Bloody Arm through his notable skill as a fighter. Steve, what do you got on? James Beckworth?
Speaker 4: He married into the absorca the Crow, the Crow tribe, and live with them for quite some time.
Speaker 1: Was he the one who was rumored to have been killed by them. They think he was maybe poisoned.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I thought I thought it was him. I was never never certain. That's that's such a shad thrown to Steve too.
Speaker 4: Every time there's a mountain Man question, I'm like, oh, this is Steve's bone for the week.
Speaker 1: Brody would have got it. Brody was here though, Right, Well, we have two questions left. Give us a scoreboard update. I think it got interesting.
Speaker 6: And you can't stand the heat, Get out of the meat, eat your podcast studio. Still in the game are seth Chester and Ben with three points of peace, and tied for first place are Hayden Randall.
Speaker 5: And Stephen Ranilla with how many five points?
Speaker 1: Two questions that left? Question nine and the topic is fishing. This river, which is named after a major American city, was declared the world's best walleye fishery by in Fishermen in twenty fifteen. This river, which is named after a major American city, was declared the world's best walleye fishery by in Fishermen in twenty fifteen.
Speaker 4: What do you got?
Speaker 7: Hat?
Speaker 3: You got it?
Speaker 1: No? Man?
Speaker 6: See?
Speaker 1: How are you going to get this?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 4: Way?
Speaker 2: I got it.
Speaker 1: This river.
Speaker 4: It hit me like a diamond bullet, like at first flame first I didn't have it, and then it like struck me in the forehead.
Speaker 1: And now you got it right, like a diamond bullet. This river, which is named after a major American city, was declared the world's best walleye fishery by in Fishermen in twenty fifteen.
Speaker 4: I should I should clarify that I stole the diamond bullet line in Apocalypse Now, Marlon Brando's character Kurtz how to Win the Vietnam War struck him like.
Speaker 1: A diamond bullet. Still don't really understand the diamond part of it, Souse, You would just hit that hard? Is that what it's implying? Okay, how to win the war? Seth? Are you going to get this one?
Speaker 3: Don't know?
Speaker 1: Are you going to be sad when Chester gets this walleye fishing question right and you don't. I might not have it right.
Speaker 3: Maybe I have it right and he gets it wrong.
Speaker 1: Oh I like that too. Does everybody have an answer?
Speaker 3: Maybe we both have the same answer.
Speaker 1: Go ahead and reveal your answer. We have Steve saying Detroit, Ben sang Detroit Karinn without an answer Hayden saying Saint Louis, Randall saying Detroit, seth saying Detroit, Chester saying Detroit. They got it. The correct answer is Detroit Detroit. The Detroit River is famous for its walleye run that happens each spring when spawners leave Lake Erie. Cabellus holds an annual tournament there, where it's not uncommon for five fish limits to exceed fifty pounds. The tournament director called it a jigging paradise for walleye anglers.
Speaker 3: It's it's actually unique to a style of fishing called hand lining.
Speaker 1: Explain it.
Speaker 3: It's like I've never done it before. I've never even seen anyone do it before. But it's basically you have like this spring loaded reel and let me know, Jester, if I'm messing this up, and well, like basically when you let go, like you you can pull the line out and let let line in like real easily because it's spring loaded and you that goes out and there's leaders attached to it that you can hook like you know, whatever apple is, whatever you want to troll, and.
Speaker 1: This is just like, oh, it's so it's like a vertical jigging. Technique.
Speaker 3: Well, you actually put a big weight on the bottom so it goes down. It's the bottom that you have. You have leaders off of that drift or slow troll. Yeah, and you can use you can since the lot the spool is spring loaded, and you can like pull back and forth and like get different speeds and speed up your bait, slow them down, that kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: Detroit River, Phil, we have one question left, Detroit. Where do we stand?
Speaker 5: Seth Chester and Ben have also been eliminated and can no longer win. However, Hayden is still in the game with five points. Steve and Randall are tied up with six.
Speaker 1: Question ten, the topic is cooking. This next great question comes to us via David Valdez. If you have a question you think is right for meat Eatter Trivia, you can send it to trivia at the meadeater dot com. Although many think the red liquid that's released from a steak is blood, it's actually this protein. Although many think that the red liquid that's released from a steak is blood, it's actually this protein. Steve, you look confident. Are you gonna get this one right? On the contrary Randal, have you come up with an answer yet?
Speaker 7: I have an answer.
Speaker 1: Do you think you're going to get this one right?
Speaker 4: State?
Speaker 7: I think I have a good shot.
Speaker 1: We may be headed to a tiebreaker, Hayden in case they're wrong. Do you have the right answer?
Speaker 7: It's not looking good for me, man Steve the the reflection on the uh No, I've never noticed it, but you're holding your head.
Speaker 1: Could you see his answer?
Speaker 4: Randall?
Speaker 1: Yes, do you have the same answer?
Speaker 5: I do?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 8: Is everybody as I can read backwards? Is everybody ready? Go ahead and reveal your answers. You have Steve saying what does that say? Albumen Ben saying what does that say?
Speaker 2: My globe?
Speaker 1: Myoglobe? And Grin saying plans, Randall saying I wrote that sas without an answer. Chess you're saying.
Speaker 7: It was it was small, and I was reading it backwards in the reflection.
Speaker 4: You know what's the.
Speaker 1: Worst you want to when?
Speaker 4: Do you have an answer? And Spencer looks at the answer and says, what that's not good news?
Speaker 1: That was a spoiler because Randall got it right. The correct answer is mio globe and and that makes Randal our winner. Answers Steve, do you think the diamond bullet never came on myoglobe.
Speaker 4: Huh, you know what the hell human is? You know, if you smoked salmon too hot? Okay, and the and the fat, Oh yeah, that's that's the white So I mean that could have been a great answer for another question. That half point is that white ship that comes out of sam when we smoke it too hot.
Speaker 1: It would have been the whooping crane half point in this half point, technically the.
Speaker 4: Count Stroganov knew a quarter point.
Speaker 1: I think Steve one actually mile globe and helps store oxygen in your muscles. It's actually one of the key differences that separates white meat from red meat. Simply put, the more mind globein cells there are the redder the meat is. So animals like birds with a low level of mio globe and have white meat, and animals like mammals with a high level of myoglobin have red meat. Spencer, I've got trivia question for you. What's the protein in fish? White flaky fish that people are allergic to? What's the protein? Do parvel booming?
Speaker 2: And I'm allergic to it?
Speaker 3: Did you know Tony Peterson's allergic to fish too?
Speaker 1: You guys could go out and throw fish at each other Randall. As the winner, you get to choose where the five hundred dollars donation goes. So what's it going to be? Uh, let's give it to the t RCP. What do you like about them? Randall, Well, we're in familiar.
Speaker 7: We were in Washington, DC a couple of weeks ago for the annual Conservation Awards dinner, Capital Conservation Capital Conservation Awards Dinner, and it was just a wonderful reminder of all the good work that's being done across party lines in DC to get things done for hunters and anglers.
Speaker 1: Who were some award winners there.
Speaker 7: Well, each year they give an award to two lawmakers, one from each side of the aisle. So this year it went to Joe Mansion and then of West Virginia and Blake Moore of Utah.
Speaker 1: Like an arm wrestling award or what's the award for.
Speaker 7: It's for just being a powerful advocate for hunters and anglers and the resources that we use in DC. And so those two gentlemen have gotten a lot done putting together some big conservation bills and packages over the years. And yeah, it was just a great evening. Got to run into a lot of old colleagues, and then folks from all sorts of different conservation groups that are getting together.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they do one, one person from each side of the aisle. Then they do one from each chamber or so one Senator, one Congressman, and they do two than they do someone from the private sector, but this year is two people from the private sector, lifelong conservationists and wildlife professionals. Becky Humphries who retired from National Wild Turkey Federation and Howard Vincent, who retired from Pheasants Forever Quail Forever.
Speaker 1: Well done, Randall, tough batch of questions. You win it with seven, right, Ben? How made you get right this round? Five again? Five? You are consistent. We're just gonna bring you on from now on. No one You're gonna get five?
Speaker 2: Five is ever the winning score?
Speaker 1: Then your guy? All well done, Ben, Thank you for joining us. Come back next time for more Meat Eater Trivia, the only game show where conservation always wins.