Speaker 1: Ridiculous Histories, a production of iHeartRadio. Welcome back to the show Ridiculous Historians. Thank you, as always so much for tuning in, and happy belated Mother's Day to all the mothers out there. There's a super producer, Max.
Speaker 2: Ben Noel, you.
Speaker 3: Know, and you're my brother from another mother. Both of you, the both of yous gonna lump you into that fun alliterative rhyming phrase.
Speaker 1: We're also in typical ridiculous history fashion doing a show about a holiday several days after it occurred.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: I take it back. A brother from another mother isn't really a literative at all. It's just more of a rhyming thing. It's got a nice internal rhyme, it rolls off the tongue and has a good mouth feel, But alliterative it is not. Ben, We're here again talking about a holiday that was started with all great intention. Like many holidays, you know, whether it be to honor a deity of some sort, perhaps a member of the human species, such as a mother or a father, and then you know, typically, like the way of most holidays, we see the co opting by interests, special interest groups aka corporations and people that want to make money off of stuff like this.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, it's a very well intentioned event that the best way to say it is the creator of Mother's Day has a very complex relationship with Mother's Day.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's introduce Mother Jarvis. That's the street name for Anne Reeves Jarvis. She is a homemaker in Appalachia. She teaches Sunday school and Anne is born in eighteen thirty two. She lives a long, full life. She is an activist. She's a radical in her.
Speaker 3: Way, like Ninja Turtles radical or like extreme. Well, I guess that could be applied to the same.
Speaker 1: She's bodacious.
Speaker 3: She's bodacious. Yes, she hangs ten. But she's also a cowabungo tour she's an activist.
Speaker 2: You're right.
Speaker 3: This is something in a post Civil war era that she has decided that she wants to place some emphasis on honoring the work of mothers, you know, while we the men were away. You know, it's the same thing like Rosie the Riveter and all that stuff, like the idea of holding down the fort while the young men are away fighting and potentially dying during the war.
Speaker 1: So let's give mothers their due. Yeah, and let's also educate them. Let's help them. Let's help mothers, especially impoverished mothers in Appalachia. Let's help them be set up for success. She was very concerned about the perilously high infant mortality rate. There were very, very serious problems that predated the Civil War, but they were exacerbated by that bloody conflict. She also organized women's brigades. She encouraged women to help each other out, regardless whether they were fighting for the Union or the Confederacy. And then she start she proposed something called a Mother's Friendship Day to promote peace between former Union and Confederate families. Now that's a tall milkshake. There's a lot of blood on the hands there, no.
Speaker 3: Question, And just to not really walk back what I said, but I mean, she did want to highlight, you know, how important the work of mothers and women were during this time. But to your point, Ben, it really was much more of a functional, organizing kind of effort, wasn't it like to provide resources to help you curtail some of these shocking statistics.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we do want to note this is very important. It's kind of like a Gabriel Garcia Marquez novel. Or a story of royals. The person we're talking about, Mother Jarvis, full name Anne Maria Reeves Jarvis. She is different. She's a different person entirely from her daughter, Anna Marie Jarvis, who will come up later. So Anne is the mom and Anna is the daughter. We've got to introduce a third person here, a second woman that was very influential in the founding and Mother's day.
Speaker 3: Julia Ward Howe a poet and she knew it. Also a reformer. During the Civil War, she was an active volunteer in the very important and new US Sanitary Commission. This was in order to provide sterilization hygienic environments in hospitals, to make sure that folks who were sick and wounded from injuries and war conditions were taken care of properly, and that going into a hospital wasn't in and of itself, a death sentence. If you go into a hospital with a severe wound or illness and it's not been cleaned or it's not been you know, sterilized, you could emerge from that hospital worse than you came in, or not emerge at all.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it can get infected, You can intercepsist all kinds of nasty things can happen. In eighteen sixty one, Julia Ward Howe also writes the famous Civil War anthem, the Battle Hymn of the Republic, and was talking briefly, who was I think it was our how Robert Evans on Twitter, old friend of the show.
Speaker 2: He just you guys wild.
Speaker 1: He was on Twitter, and I think he must have just overheard this song because he all he posted, without much of an explanation, was the Battle Hymn of the Republic. Has no right to slap this hard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it kind of a banker. And she wrote it.
Speaker 1: It gets published February of eighteen sixty two, and then she does another predecessor of Mother's Day In eighteen seventy, Julia Ward Howe says, we need a Mother's.
Speaker 2: Day for peace.
Speaker 1: It's just celebrating the idea of peace, celebrating the idea that there could be a future without.
Speaker 3: War totally and let's just be you know, of course, mothers are the source of all life, of human life. This is an obvious, no brainer statement, but one that I think often gets overlooked. So it makes sense to kind of feature the idea of the mother, you know, as a central kind of force of creation as opposed to death and destruction, of a counter to some of the horrifying conditions of war. So she kind of put out, I guess, sort of a not really a manifesto, more of a declaration, a proclamation literally, called the Mother's Day Proclamation in eighteen seventy. She felt that mothers had the power to prevent war, you know, just through their actions and through the way they raised their children and sort of the ideals that they instill into their into their offspring.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like when jay Z's mom told him to not talk trash about nas so much. Moms can stop stuff. Moms exercise a great power over the world, and it's it's a noble thing for Julia Ward how to recognize right and to leverage and her version of Mother's Day was actually stuck around in a bunch of cities, in Boston in particular, for three decades, but in the years leading up to World War One it kind of petered out, and there it stayed until nineteen oh seven. From right before World War One till around nineteen oh seven, there wasn't really a Mother's Day. People just hopefully people were just nice to their moms every.
Speaker 3: Day, one would hope and enter our tertiary hero here, I guess the aforementioned Anna M. Jarvis of Philadelphia, the daughter of Mother Jarvis, the og Mother's Day banner bearer. I guess you could call a standard bearer, right, Anna M. Jarvis. After her mother had passed in nineteen o six, Jarvis the younger, she decided to memorialize her mother's life and works by campaigning for a national recognition of a Mother's Day of a sort. She said that she hoped and prayed that someone sometime will found a memorial Mother's Day commemorating her for the matchless service she renders to humanity in every field of life because, and Jarvis said, she is entitled to it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we're getting we're getting a lot of this from the Forgotten History of Mother's Day by Heidi stone Hill. And there are a couple other sources we don't want to shout out quite yet because they might spoil the turn.
Speaker 2: There was a turn here. There's always a turn.
Speaker 3: We sort of foreshadow of the turn a little bit, you know, you could kind of figure out on your own. Because this is why we can't have nice things.
Speaker 1: So Ada his ideas were less about public service and more about just saying, hey, moms are the hardest working of all people. Let's at least to acknowledge that. And she went on a one woman campaign. She was one woman army, writing to everybody, sending telegrams, showing up at the offices of public figures and saying, do you have time to sit down for a second, you know, how's your mom?
Speaker 2: Et cetera.
Speaker 1: And she spoke widely to groups large and small. She paid for all of this. She didn't have a huge support network at first. She made zines basically the the early nineteen hundreds equivalent of zine's booklets about She was a pamphleteer, right, a pamphleteer booklets about Mother's Day. She herself had no children of her own.
Speaker 2: I think that's interesting. I mean, you know, that doesn't really matter.
Speaker 3: I think she perhaps decided that she was going to focus her energies into this kind of crusade, you know, I mean, we don't have any information as to whether there were any outs, you know, any I knew any circumstances that led to her not having children, But it sure seemed like whether that was the case or not, she put that effort that would have gone into braising children into this effort. I think that orialized her mother, and to memorialize and honor mothers everywhere.
Speaker 2: I think that's one way to look at it.
Speaker 1: I mean, even now in twenty twenty three, there's a bout, there's a lot of very real, lazy prejudice against people who for one reason or do not one reason or another, do not have children. And it's it's pretty gross. It was even worse back then, you know, when you're a woman, and it just I mean, I just want to acknowledge that because I'm sure very many ridiculous historians listening today have experienced that prejudice. It's an ugly thing, and so she probably was judged in her in her time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, terms like old maid and stuff, you know what I mean. Like it was, it was inherently there was a bias against women that didn't have children, because the assumption was that either they you know, couldn't and that that othered them some way, or they were choosing not to and we're therefore selfish in some way, shape or form. And nowadays, of course, you know, women can have children and also be professional and do all of the things and push for these types of campaigns and also raise families. This is very much part of, you know, the way things have moved, and I think there's less of this attitude around, but.
Speaker 2: It's still there.
Speaker 1: It's still very much I can tell you it's still very much there. And you don't have to have children to be a good person, No, And having children does not inherently make you a good person.
Speaker 2: Does But.
Speaker 1: We just wanted to acknowledge this. You know, Anna is going is going through some rough stuff, but she perseveres. May nineteen oh eight, she creates the first official Mother's Day, or her version of Mother's Day, at a church in Grafton, West Virginia, and then at a department store in Philadelphia. Imagine how huge this is for the department store if you think about it, they're the first people to get in on the monetization of Mother's Day.
Speaker 2: Wow, that might have been the beginning of the end.
Speaker 3: Yeah, as far as the you know, more altruistic version of Mother's Day was concerned.
Speaker 2: But it also makes sense.
Speaker 3: You know, department stores in those days were very much a rallying place, you know, for the community to kind of come together. You had your like soda fountains and all of that stuff. And you know, it was really just kind of a place where you would go to be seen and to see other people in the community. So it certainly made sense, but it unfortunately kind of led to some negative consequences.
Speaker 1: One hundred percent. Yeah, and her campaign is successful, Politicians and newspapers start picking it up. It's increasingly in the zeitgeist of America. It all leads to nineteen fourteen when President Woodrow Wilson calls Mother's Day a way to recognize that tender genental lawMy the mothers of America.
Speaker 2: And also screw you Woodrow Wilson.
Speaker 1: Yeah, also Woodrow Wilson, not the best, not the best. Thank you Max with the facts of.
Speaker 2: Phones and he drops in the knowledge.
Speaker 4: Just for you.
Speaker 2: So good, there we go.
Speaker 3: No, let's put it in, yes, Max, Max with the eternal beef against Woodrow Wilson, who was sort of a human And we already are starting to see kind of different philosophies on Mother's Day emerge. You know what is what we we we we know the original intent with Mother Jarvis was very quite literally to provide resources and support for mothers who were bearing the brunt of you know, raising the family while men were away with very little help, with very little resources, often in dire poverty and difficult situations involving you know, infant mortality and lack of healthcare. So initially the whole idea was very much about providing some of these things. It then kind of maybe became a little bit more about just sort of like a raising awareness for the amazing work that mothers do, the gentle silent army of Windrow Wilson's quote there, or tender gentle army rather, they're not silent necessarily. But then we start to see it kind of that co opting that we're talking about, really, you know, taking those philosophies and kind of yeah, I don't know, grinding him into the dirt a little bit.
Speaker 1: Well capitalized on them, right, that's the worst part, right.
Speaker 3: I guess maybe being a little harsh, but sometimes when you do capitalize on things, you sort of suck the goodness, right right, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Because and we'll get to some interesting facts and statistics here at the end, but yeah, it starts in a really good place. Both Jarvis's and Julia Howe are making They're doing tremendous big things. By nineteen twelve, a lot of other churches and towns and states are holding Mother's Day celebrations of their own, and Anna Jarvis has established the Mother's Day International Association. But almost immediately she gets disillusioned because the holiday becomes all about swag. You buy printed cards for your mom, You buy flowers. Hey, mom, here's another gift, here's some candy. It becomes an expectation, It becomes normalized that there must be these things bought and sold as part of this. And Jarvis feels like the holiday has gotten away from her. You know, she feels like the lady who created the original Monopoly game. She's like, why are these people taking my idea and soullessly making money off it? So she starts campaigning against Mother's Day profiteers.
Speaker 3: All the while, you know, candymakers, flores, greeting card companies are looking and.
Speaker 2: Saying, what, who us?
Speaker 3: We just want your mothers to have nice things, you know that you buy from us exclusively.
Speaker 2: It's process. She sued everybody.
Speaker 1: She called them charlatans, bandits, pirates, racketeers, kidnappers, and other termites that would undermine with their greed. One of the finest, noblest and truest movements and celebrations. She's still coming out of her own pocket for this too.
Speaker 3: She's so well and too great detriment to her personal wealth, right, I mean she she did. You know that she did have a quite a significant inheritance, and it dwindles significantly because she was paying all these legal fees. So it really does kind of show you how difficult it is to fight city hall, you know, in these kinds of situations, because it's a free market economy. Man, they're not doing anything wrong. You can't prove that they co opted something exactly, can you.
Speaker 2: I mean, it must be difficult.
Speaker 1: You can't tell people, like how do you tell people that they can't like their mom on a specific day? You know what I mean? Like, how do you legislate against that?
Speaker 2: I mean?
Speaker 3: And I'm sure they're literally the argument that the lawyers you know, for these companies were making, like like is it wrong to give your sweet mother a box of sweeties, you know.
Speaker 2: And chocolate confections?
Speaker 3: Is it wrong to watch your mother to have a beautiful bouquet of flowers representing her vibrant spirits?
Speaker 2: You know? Like I could just picture the eye rolls.
Speaker 1: You know, I know, and we want to shout out Sarah Pruitt over at history dot com why the founder of Mother's Day turned against it. Look, Anna Jarvis went super hard in the pain on this stuff.
Speaker 2: She would conventions.
Speaker 1: In nineteen twenty five, there was this organization called the American War Mothers and they used Mother's Day as a fundraising opportunity, and they were selling carnations at this convention. Anna Jarvis doesn't just crash the convention in Philly, she gets arrested for raising a ruckus for disturbing the peace. She also takes shots at first Lady Eleanor Roosevelt for using Mother's Day as a fundraising opportunity. She wants all the smoke, basically.
Speaker 2: So basically, but that's the thing.
Speaker 3: Though you put out an idea like that into the world, it's gonna happen. And short of I don't know, arguing for some sort of copyright infringement, which you can't really do in this case because it's meant to be a recognized holiday for all. So I don't really know what leg she had to stand on here in terms of her arm. It seems like at the end of the day, she was kind of just shouting into the abyss.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and she did have a copyright argument, right, that's what she took to court. But it's very easy to get around that stuff, you know, And so she's repeatedly incredibly frustrated with this. By the nineteen forties, she is more or less disowned the concept of the holiday altogether. She is lobbying the government to see it remove from the calendar, but no one's listening. Mother's Day is it's a gold mine man, and businesses begin to count on it in their balance sheets, so they're not going to let it go.
Speaker 3: Speaking of the copyright claim, didn't wasn't like the apostrophe moved around a little bit in in an.
Speaker 2: Effort to get around that. Yeah, this is interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, she she claims copyright on the phrase second Sunday in May Mother's Day mother mot a h R apostrophe s And she's like a possessive, Right, I'm gonna ensue anybody who uses this without my permission. So yeah, like you said, people said, all right, that's fine, we'll use the plural possessive, which is just moving the apostrophe.
Speaker 3: Yeah, day for all mothers as opposed to singular the day that belongs to mother, right, tricksy tricksy stuff. But but I mean I don't love it, but it is. You can't own those words exactly right. Dungeons and dragons would call it lawful evil. That's right, because I mean her copyright existed on the phrase second Sunday in May Mother's Day. If there's a rhyme there. She didn't necessarily hold the legal, you know, per strings for the concept of a day for mothers. You can't really do that. That's like owning a baseball cap, you know, yeah, or like the fidget spinner whatever.
Speaker 1: Right, And this is not to say that Anna didn't try. You can find a Newsweek article from nineteen forty four that claims she had thirty three separate pending lawsuits that year. By this point in time, she has lived a long life. She is eighty years old. She's got a lot of health problems that come with old age. She's not doing well financially because she spent so much of her inheritance on these battles. She is in an assisted living space in a sanatorium in Philly. And there were we found a lot of rumors. I guess you could call them our speculation that companies in the floral and card industries secretly paid to take care of her. But if you talk to historians like Kathleen and Dalini, then you see no story and has been able to verify this. People just kind of say, hey, be nice if that were true. We don't have proof. It might just be a nice story. But we do know that even at the end of her life, she was still she was still fighting Mother's Day, like on a door to door basis right.
Speaker 3: I hate that though, man, you know, I mean, it's just because she did have such good intention. She was carrying on this legacy of you know, her mother's work before her, and spent her whole life just you know, the rest of her life, the part of her life that should have been her being taken care of, you know, when when she spent all this time trying to take care of other mothers. Instead she spent it under duress and feeling as though her legacy had been like Sully, this thing that she had worked so hard to create.
Speaker 1: And she passed away of heart failure in November of nineteen forty eight, But Mother's Day continued, and Mother's Day is not the creation of any single individual. Really, it's the creation of multiple women. And the modern Mother's Day is still yes, is it monetized, is it commodified? Of course it is, But that doesn't necessarily make it bad. It doesn't mean that you have to participate financially, you know what I mean. There are I'm sure, I'm sure there are thousands and thousands of moms listening right now who are thinking, I don't know, I just want my kid to call me, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Absolutely, yeah, call your mom, Call your mom, Call your mom, because you just you never know when the last time you're going to be able to speak to her.
Speaker 2: We'll be That's true, It's very true.
Speaker 3: Well today, you know, Mother's Day it does exist.
Speaker 2: It is a calendar day.
Speaker 3: Which day is it? I know we missed it by a little bit here with Sunday, May fourteenth, And that's always the day that it is. It's not like the third Sunday of the mon there's something like that in in in May.
Speaker 2: It's always the thirteen, always the second Sunday. It is the same. Okay, So it's one of those second Sunday. That's that.
Speaker 3: That's why I'm always confused because it's like there's no hard date associated with it.
Speaker 1: That's always a weird one to me too. You know what's another Thanksgiving?
Speaker 4: Yeah, thanksgivingest one, because calendars are a human invention and they're therefore imperfect.
Speaker 1: But yes, you can also find Hey, it's not just the US. You can also find other observances of Mother's Day in places like Ethiopia. You can find it in Thailand, where Mother's Day is celebrated in August on the birthday of the Queen right and it's tied to the royal family. You can find it all over the world because everybody can agree despite all the differences that the human species has, we're all big fans of moms in general, our own mothers in particular. And Noel, I found that I've got some silly statistics with Mother's Day, at least in the United States. And I bet, I bet you've heard this one. This is probably it's probably my favorite one. Forty percent of adults will take their mom out to a restaurant on Mother's Day, and for a long time it was for a long time it was considered the busiest day in the restaurant industry. Yeah, yeah, for sure, it's the second busiest. Actually only Valentine's Day.
Speaker 2: Is a bigger one. Yeah, and Valentine's Day is a whole story onto it.
Speaker 3: So in terms of the infiltration by greeting card companies and you know, wine makers and what have you, you know, chocolate tears, all of that stuff. It's also often used as a day for launching political causes associated with feminism. For example, in nineteen sixty eight, Corretta Scott King, of course, the wife of Martin Luther King Junior, hosted a march in support of underprivileged women and children on Mother's Day.
Speaker 1: Which I think, you know what, we cannot speak for, uh, cannot speak for Anna ourselves, but I like to think she would be okay with that kind of that one. Yeah, that would be okay because they're not selling T shirts or anything. We know that it's such a big business. This statistic blew me away. In twenty twenty one, just that one year, American consumers spent an estimated twenty eight point one billion dollars on Mother's Day and Mother's Day stuff like what.
Speaker 2: Kind of what kind of flowers are they buying? Are they buying people? Are they getting their mom? Or cars? Yeah, unclear, unclear.
Speaker 3: You know what kind of flowers I've been buying lately, Ben, what's that lego flower? Oh? The lego orkid is awesome, fantastic. We have like the succulents. We have like some kind of spring bouquets. They never die, they'll never let you down, They'll never make you feel like a slacker for either overwatering or underwatering. I'm still kind of trying to get the hang of plants and keeping them alive. But you know, there's still time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 1: I I have a bit of a green thumb. I have had the same and they're called a money tree. I've had the same one since I was an intern at How Stuff Works. Nice old Ben Benn is still kicking it, and I'm starting a green space at the rooftop of my new place. You guys are definitely invited.
Speaker 2: I can't wait to check it out. I'm really excited.
Speaker 3: I'm actually about to get some landscaping work done in my backyard with all native plants. I've been assured by the folks who help me design it that they and I won't have to do much to them because they're gonna thrive already. Just like in this environment, so really looking forward to that and also similarly would love to have you all over for like a Fourth of July barbecue situation. And didn't want to end on any kind of down or note, but I just want to put out a just a you know word to say I miss my mother, who lost my mother a year ago, roughly to the day, and first Mother's Day without my mom, Sandra. So love you Sandra, and miss yet and happy Mother's Day.
Speaker 1: I'd like to say just a few brief words to a lot of people. Mother's Day can be tough when your mom has passed on, you know. Mother's Day can be tough when you know your family is maybe at odds, maybe you don't speak to your kids, maybe you and your mom butt heads. Before my mother passed away also quite recently, I was incredibly fortunate, and I like to think that I knew that my mother was a very very kind, beautiful woman. I don't think I ever really had a fight with her, which is nuts. She just she would just tell me she well, she was a teacher for so many years, you know, like in your mom was also teaching people, but.
Speaker 2: She was we fought all the time, so I'm jealous.
Speaker 1: I think she had just like because even though I'm an only child, because I was essentially if your mom's a teacher, you were one of twenty eight to thirty two children's awesome year.
Speaker 3: But it's also like a beautiful thing to I mean, teaching, as we've talked about many times on this shows, is such a gift, you know, to be able to take what you've learned and to pass that on to people who can then use it to literally change their lives or you know, guide the trajectory of their life. And some of my mom's students, specifically singing my mom was a singing teacher, have gone on to have great careers in great opera houses and stuff, and wasn't the path that I chose. But I'm just I'm very proud of her and the way that she's change these people's lives. And I'm sure that you see that with your mom's students, and you feel the same way.
Speaker 1: And we guarantee you, fellow Ridiculous historians, your mom is proud of you. Thanks of course, to our super producer, mister Max Williams. Hey, thanks to missus Williams. Good job on the kids. Thanks thanks to Alex Williams, I mean, thanks to everybody. I think we're ending on a good note here.
Speaker 2: I think so too. Yeah. No, and thanks to you Ben, my brother from another mother, no question about it. Call your mom please do. We'll see you next time, folks.
Speaker 3: For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.