Speaker 1: Ridiculous Histories the production of iHeartRadio. Welcome back to the show Ridiculous Historians. Thank you, as always so much for tuning in. Let's hear it for the Man, the Myth, the Legend, Max two Computers, Williams. Let's hear it for the other miss men and Legends. We've got Noel Brown. I am Ben Bullen. Noel. This is one that's been a long time in our docket. We're talking about toy cars and did you ever have any of those like racetrack sets where they do the little loop de loop and so on.
Speaker 2: I had friends I think that had them, and I would you know, like I had a neighbor in my Neighborhoodhre I grew up whose parents were doctors, so they always had like the newest, coolest stuff, and they had like a whole upstairs that was just entirely this massive play room. So they had all that kind of stuff that I never really got. I was more of a he man Masters of the Universe and eventually Ninja Turtles kind of kid.
Speaker 3: Maybe so Joe's crept in there, Army crawled in there, but.
Speaker 1: Well, they had so many points of articulation. They were an excellent action figure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean superior to he Man. He Man was just like weird stiff arms that you could just.
Speaker 1: Kind of I think shoulders and hips could move.
Speaker 2: I think the hips could swivel because it would let you do like kind of like punches.
Speaker 1: You known my seat, He's like turning around with the sword like uh huh, you almost got me.
Speaker 2: Well, there was definitely a figure where his mid section was like spring loaded and you could hit a button. You could like cock it and then hit a button in the back like swing and that was like its special bower. There were tons of those. I had the he Man figures. I had some she Raw figures because my parents wanted me to not think that the he Man universe was just dudes. And I never understood why she was she raw instead of like she woman. It's a good question. I would have loved to be a fly on the wall in that pitch meeting. But it's just funny. That was also the time of like highly gendered toys. Oh now for like I mean practically blue is for boys, pink as for girls. Kind of thinking behind the marketing of these things.
Speaker 1: So Matchbox versus hot wheels, that is h This is probably going to be a two parter. Folks, we have a heck of a story to tell you. If you ever loved playing with those toy cars, or if you, like Nol grew up with someone who had the the whole racetrack setup. It's a lot like another version of model trains, which are pal Max's an expert on. You know, some some kids had these entire racetracks set about a room. You know, they've got the loop de loops, they got the wall.
Speaker 2: That's like the room I was describing they had was all just hardwood floor as far as I could see, and you could set up an entire universe of tracks in that place, and they all linked together, and you could add the little kind of junction points that were different things.
Speaker 3: It's a whole vibe.
Speaker 1: So our story starts today with two veterans of the British Naval Forces, Leslie Smith and Rodney Smith. They are not related they I know, I know, I know, clear, I.
Speaker 3: Mean, there were the probably a lot of Smiths in the Yukas. Still aren't Smith popular, you know what I mean? The lastmist last time's actually Smith.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I could tell by the way you move.
Speaker 3: No, I'm just kidding. I like that.
Speaker 2: That's very mysterious, not to speaking for you with Smyth, you know, because you've got your Patti Smith, and then you've got your Patty Smyth and never the twain shall meet Smith does have a y in it, but you know that's probably more the old English spelling. But the two of these fellas, Leslie and Rodney, they met during their time in World War Two, when they, like you said, were in the Royal Navy. After the war concluded, decided to start a company which they very cleverly sort of portmanteau. Their name favors one of them over the other a bit, but it was called Lesnie Products.
Speaker 1: Otherwise it would be rod Laie, Yeah right, rod Lee.
Speaker 2: Rod Less les Anyway, this is the folks who were walking through it.
Speaker 1: Leslie, first three letters of that, Rodney, last three letters of that, Lesnie.
Speaker 2: I guess I'm just saying that the les part is just a little more striking than the knee part. I actually had to do a retake because I initially just said it was named Leslie. When you look at it on paper, that favors that name. But they started this company. Whatever the providence of the name in Hackney, which is a burrow of London's of like Queens to New York and all of that. And it would specialize in fabricating, right, like die casting parts that could be used in various you know workmen like vehicular functions like agriculture or just cars.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they did a lot of stuff. It's interesting because if you study the evolution of most major automobile manufacturers, you see that they already typically have a background in manufacturing something like the people who make the bicycles say, hey, we know how to make tires. Let's do you know, let's do cars.
Speaker 3: How tough can it be? Machining or fabricating right? And it's also funny.
Speaker 2: We'll probably get to this in a bit, but a lot of companies that went on to become toy companies got their start and making parts for other stuff. Oh, it's all about having this setup, having the infrastructure, and then pivoting right.
Speaker 1: All praise due to nintend Do, which started I think manufacturing playing cards. So we want to give a big shout out to Matt Reigel over at grunge dot com with his work what happened to matchbox Cars? Before we get to that, we have to explain how Matchbox not Matchbook cars came to be. As we're saying, Lesnie Products is a machining interest, and they they do weird innovations that may not sound like a big deal now, Like they squish bread such that you can put it on a fish hook more easily, which I guess was a big deal.
Speaker 3: I guess that tiny divide.
Speaker 2: I don't understand this, Like gay, you just binch off a piece of bread and squish it and put it on the fish. What does this tiny device look like? I'm trying to We're so close to making lunchables, right. So this company, Lesnie Products, they rent out part of their facility to a guy named Jack O'Dell, an engineer. Eventually he joins the company. He started as a pop up and now he became part of the industry. Do you think it's neat though, that they had in these days? I guess there would be sometimes a little startup mentality, you know, to something because we've got all this stuff, we only need this much to meet to you know, meet our quota for our production. Let's rent out this part, you know too. I mean maybe this is like super common and I'm like romanticizing it. But it is kind of neat to think that like a company like this would ultimately end up being an incubator.
Speaker 1: You know, I think it's cool. Yeah, and that's a good word, incubator. Yeah. So soon after Lesnie is founded, they receive these orders, uh to machine parts for a small toy gun. They said, Okay, usually we're above it, but money is money. If we don't have a bunch of orders coming in from big industries, then we'll work on whatever kind of stuff we can get. We got to keep the lights on, We got to pay the people who work here. The pivot is coming right, The pivot is on the way, just like that guy who figured out chewing gum. So Lesnie looks into the toy market and in nineteen forty eight, that engineer we mentioned earlier, Jack O'Dell, he designs Lesnie's first Lesnie made toy. It's an Avelen Barford road roller. It's a direct copy of a toy car. Oh uh, do you guys know what an Avelen Barford is.
Speaker 2: It's really but it's very barfee sounding. That's hard, that does not roll right off the time, but.
Speaker 1: It sounds like a specifically it sounds like a British euphemism for a specific type of fart.
Speaker 2: That's right, well, or it just it makes me think of, you know, having won too many pints at the pub and then you have to barford. But this does your right though, all that aside, it sounds like an intensely British vehicle.
Speaker 1: Yeah. They were an engineering company, so they made the kind of stuff you would see in road traffic construction, big trucks, basically the big orange yellow construction trucks. And this other toy manufacturer, Dinky Toy, was the leader in manufacturing toy cars at the time, and Lesnie, if we're being honest, kind of plagiarized them.
Speaker 2: And you know, I just occurred to me that this, I think is kind of a parallel story to the story we recently did on Japanese toys, and again kind of companies that were making things for the war effort pivoting to making copies of popular war vehicles and then you know, going on from there and using I believe tin cans and things like that that were left over from the war effort to make those.
Speaker 1: And they grow with great success. It's nineteen fifty one and one of the founders decides to leave the company. Maybe you're onto something nold because the knee of Lesnie Rodney Smith is the one who leaves. The Lesnie Corporation keeps the name. They continue with their work. Their next toy is the Coronation Coach, a mini tour model celebrating Queen Elizabeth's coronation as Queen of England in June of nineteen fifty three. That's so crazy because all of the three of us listening were just Americans while the queen was the Queen of England.
Speaker 3: She's always kind of been the queen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, It's just always there. He just always knew that one fact about that country, and now it's changed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I mean for even for us though, it never even occurred to me that there was like an event, just you know, since she was just always the queen.
Speaker 1: She was there since the island form.
Speaker 4: Precisely, I have to be completely honest. I don't know the name of the king, the guy who the coronation just happens.
Speaker 2: Charles is Charles, Okay, I was gonna say Philip famous Charles with the ears, you know, yeah.
Speaker 3: You know, but I'm sitting here like light right now doing it live, and I'm like, it's not Philip, that was her husband.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, it's not Harry.
Speaker 3: That's the one who's Carson Wentz in disguise.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well Knowle's right, it's Charles. He goes by snake bite with his friends. Obviously, Okay, cool, he's a tough customer.
Speaker 2: But you know it's crazy, Like think about like selling merch and an event like that. You know, you've ever been to a giant concert and there's like people selling like bootleg T shirts outside and stuff. I mean, there is money to be made around events like this. So Leslie essentially just totally keys into this exact thing and hits pay dirt by having the coronation coach like coming out in sync with this event. It's like feeding frenzy of an event. Just think about how crazy Americans go for royal stuff, you know, around either a coronation or a royal wedding or what have you.
Speaker 3: I mean, in the country. This is an absolute feeding frenzy.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, it's a beautiful idea and they do a tremendous job with it. If we look at how these cars begin, then we're going to need to jump around a little bit hashtag no criss cross. That is an old school hip hop joke. All right, Fie missed the bus, Yeah right. And so the world's first mass market tiny toy cars date back to nineteen fifty two, which is kind of weird because we of course know that the automobile was around way before that. The idea for mass market tiny cars comes from exploiting a loophole. If you were a school kid back in the early nineteen fifties, you could only go to school with toys that were small enough to fit inside a matchbox. So LESNI keeping their eye on this, they say, hey, we already have economy of scale. We can make a car that can fit inside a match box.
Speaker 3: Oh totally.
Speaker 2: And they sold over a million of those Coronation coaches so they were rare and to go. So essentially, just like you know, I don't know if this is a national policy, Like it seems like the kind of thing that would be, you know, a specific principles idea, you know, things like in certain school districts where the length of a skirt is regulated. But I guess this whole matchbox thing was nationwide and they kind of like caught wind of it. And we're like, okay, dude, there's a super creepy story about it. So we introduced Jack O'Dell. Jack Odell the engineer who started working in a pop up at the space and then joined the company.
Speaker 1: Right. He has a daughter, and his daughter has a thing that she loves to do at school, and she gets in trouble for it. She takes the matchbox rule for toys and instead of bringing toys to school, she brings spiders to what.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's an amazing is she like a Wednesday Adams type figure.
Speaker 1: I dream of that.
Speaker 3: She's wearing like black lace.
Speaker 2: Dresses like every Oh my goodness, this is the Gothis thing I've ever heard go on.
Speaker 1: So little goth Odell is bringing spiders to school. The school marm, we can imagine, does not love this, and so jack Odell, her father says, Okay, I'm gonna make you a little car, and he makes her a little a tiny replica of a steamroller like you would see on construction site right, paving roads. And the steamroller is made of brass, it's painted red and green, and his daughter, he likes it, and she shows it off to her friends, assuming she still had friends despite her clear track record of throwing spiders at children. She had some friends who I guess were happy that it was a steamroller instead of a spider. They were also impressed. And you know, if you can get a kid doing something that impresses other children, I have it, like.
Speaker 2: I have to have the thing, you know. That's how Pokemon works. I love though. There's this New York Times article by Douglas Martin, and there's an amazing kind of characterization of what Odell's thinking was behind this, that it was just right for a child's hand, but hard to swallow, no batteries, violence, free, quiet, and costing just pennies to make. These are all winners. These are all checking the box of capitalism right here, my friends. Yeah, hard to swallow, that's the most important.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's not like they cannot swallow it, but it's they would really, you know, yeah, it would exist.
Speaker 1: It's like water resistant or fire resistant. So in just the space of one year, the steamroller and various iterations of this vehicle are selling like hotcakes. Lesnie had set up a small factory inside an abandoned bar in London, inside an abandoned London pub called The Riflemen, and after they made the steamroller and that caught on, they made a land rover. Then they made one of those iconic London buses. They made a bulldozer, they made a fire truck. In nineteen fifty four, they already had made nineteen different vehicles, and their ninth teenth one was a MGTD roadster. This is considered the first match Box car, and they looked good. I'm so glad you brought up the earlier example of the Japanese toy manufacturing industry.
Speaker 2: It's really interesting how like the name of a legacy company that we just accept as having like always been around can spring from something so random, you know, like Matchbox cars. We think of that as you know, we see the logo with the like the racing stripe and the little kind of flaming out thing like that. It's like a ribbon, and you picture the tiny cars, and it just makes sense, you know, Oh, it's match Box like like it's small.
Speaker 3: I get it.
Speaker 2: But that kind of branding often isn't just like it comes from some weird occurrence, and I think.
Speaker 3: That this is a perfect example of that.
Speaker 1: Agreed. Agreed, I mean they were also pretty well made.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it comes from machining. I mean, these are made of metal. These things are like damn near indestructible. They're the bane of the existence of parents because if you step on one of those, like heel down, not only is it gonna hurt, but you might slip and fall down the stairs to your death.
Speaker 1: It's like a rolling lado. Yeah, so Odell, if we could talk about some of the production quality. Jack Odell has designed machines at this point entirely created to make these tiny toy cars. There's one machine. All it does it spray paints tiny silver headlights on the models. There's another one. All it does is bang out the mold for the interiors. There are dashboard dials. This stuff is like scale model accurate. Some cars have more than one hundred parts. We're talking tiny, tiny, like not just tiny tiny windshield fibers, but little you know, ceiling hooks where you would hang uh oh yeah, like uh hang out, hang some laundry.
Speaker 2: And of course all this got dumbed down over time, you know. But I mean, can you imagine exactly the precision of this one hundred It's like watchmaker like level kind of precision.
Speaker 1: To Philip Petique of uh of tiny car toys. I love it, man, I love it, and I can see Nola can crpl max here kind of maybe thinking about model trains, no fence backs. I'm just in your head a little bit. Well.
Speaker 2: And again not to jump too far ahead, but you know, obviously this level of quality uh isn't going to last forever. But then it becomes part of this kind of bespoke culture of like buying the perfectly you know, machined, exact replica of like this particular train engine or whatever.
Speaker 1: So this is still a European phenomenon at this point. Right until the very end of the nineteen fifties, there's an up and coming guy in the York is very madman in my head. His name's Fred Bonner, and he takes over sales of the Lesnie Corporation in the United States, and he says, I can sell them a car.
Speaker 2: I see a market here, yeah, And so it hits the American market around the end of the fifties, Like you said, around sixty two, Matchbox is knocking a million units out per week. And again, Douglas Martin, in this New York Times article we cited points out that's more than like real cars by a factor of a lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and can you imagine the social dynamics there too. I think Odell in that nineteen sixty two period, which again quoted by the New York Times article, he said, we produce more Rolls Royces in a single day than the Rolls Royce company is made in its entire history. Okay, it's apples, the l apples orange. It's a good it's good.
Speaker 2: It's a good quote though, it's it's great, it's very it's very impressive.
Speaker 1: I hope he was talking with the person interviewing him, and I hope when he said that he picked up a little toy car and made room room and just sort of sailed it andross the table.
Speaker 3: And then the interviewer is like, what's your point, sir?
Speaker 1: Exactly?
Speaker 3: So I want to jump in here. No.
Speaker 4: I remember when we were doing the uh kind of like the parallel story about the Japanese car toy industry. You you talked like they I guess they made like a Lexus or something, and you're like, you know, there's some guys like, hey, baby, you want to go see my a Lexus?
Speaker 3: You know, somebody did with one of these Rolls Royces also like I got a Rolls Royce at home.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly at the time of the y. You know what, you never know, it could have still been impressive enough, you know, to seal the deal. It's like, because there weren't that many of these, These were kind of remarkable to behold.
Speaker 3: This was a new phenomenon.
Speaker 2: So like for someone to have this, they would have had the kind of the hottest thing on the market at the time.
Speaker 1: I mean, think of die Cast rocket and Space Shuttle models during the Space Race. It's the same thing. You know, you're a kid, dream big. So in nineteen sixty four, Lesnie contacts our boy Fred Brauner and he has this stack of matchbox cars that he's been selling, and they say, okay, we're going to buy those all back from you. Great job Fred. Also, we think you're cool. Do you want to work with us? Do you want to lead the US division of Lesnie products? And Fred says absolutely yes, And then they probably both take a little car and go in front of each other. And just to clarify we were talking about this off air when we say they bought stacks of matchbox cars back from Fred Brauner, he didn't have stock in the company. Remember these were not available in the United States.
Speaker 3: He just got a.
Speaker 1: Hold of a ton of them.
Speaker 2: He got a lot of products and yea product a commodity for them. Hey, so now we have a market here, let's have those back that you fulfills our agreement, and now we're gonna you know, move these units as it were.
Speaker 1: And so with that in mind, we're being as objective as possible. We are going to introduce you to the origins of hot wheels as well. There's a guy named Elliott Handler. He's one of the co founders of this huge company, Mattel.
Speaker 2: Again one of these legacy companies that just sort of starts early, gets to the market first, and then becomes so ubiquitous and associated with like everything big in the toy world, including Barbie. They have spun off Fisher Price at some point. They had connections with all of the biggest like movie studios and tie ins you could possibly imagine, and I think pretty much contind you with that level of you know, ownership of the marketplace to this day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Mattel was a new kid on the block as well. They were founded in January of nineteen forty five out on the West coast, and they were super into they were super into multiple toy lines, so of course they would get their spider sense about this Elliott Handler. He's running Mattel, he's a co founder, and he says, we're going to make to your point about gender toys. He says, we're gonna make die cast toy cars for boys. And he says, we've got a huge market for small car models and it's dominated by these jokers across the Atlantic, these Matchbox people, and everybody else in the boardroom. To be clear, everybody else in the Mattel boardroom is saying, Elliott, buddy, we love you, you know we love you, but you're being a schmuck. This is never gonna work. And he said, believe me when I co founded Mattel. YadA, YadA, YadA. Whatever he said. It convinced them, and it turned out that Elliott Handler was right. The cars that Mattel created were a huge success. They came out strong in nineteen sixty eight with sixteen different models. And maybe we talked about Handler. Maybe we talked about Elliott a little bit because he he had a bit of a personal grudge, I think because his grandson loved Matchbox cars.
Speaker 2: But like we were kind of hinting at earlier, Matchbox at this point already was starting to get this reputation, you know, rightfully so for being that kind of bespoke collector's kind of old world sensibility of craft. You know, like precision tooled German toys, you know that kind of stuff, Like they are very when you're mass marketing something, and especially when the United States are concerned, things like that tend to go out the window. It's more about like, how can we, you know, get rid of the human element, how can we make these things as reproducible on the largest scale possible, Because let's remember, I mean, when you know the Matchbox deal happened and we're talking about trading stacks of cars, we're talking about a relatively finite supply.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Matchbox is. Matchbox is the og, the original gangster here, and match Box is basing all of their stuff on vehicles that already exist. Right These are two scale reproductions of very important vehicles, singular cars, construction equipment, hot wheels. Goes a little off the rails. They say, we're gonna make these things that could be vehicles even if they don't exist, we're gonna make one. They get brighter colors, put stickers on everything. They do, fantasy designs that are kind of based on wild imaginings of hot rod culture.
Speaker 2: Of course, and why wouldn't you, you know, but it is really funny. It was just a difference in sort of thinking around you know, those early matchbook cars, And when we were talking about that, I was thinking, man and a hot wheels car what I was used to, and I was a kid that would be a sticker, that wouldn't be like a machine tooled little engraving or like an actual piece of thing that had to be made. Hot wheels kind of essentially, like we said, sort of dumbed down the idea, figured out how to make it much more scalable, and also, you know, broke the box of kind of creativity. It's like, how do we just make this whatever we want.
Speaker 3: It to be?
Speaker 2: And that's pretty attractive for a mass market for kids who aren't necessarily interested in like a perfect Rolls Royce replica.
Speaker 3: But Noel, they were cool. They're so cool.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, okay, Nerd Okay, you guys are both cool. You're both very cool. Uh, Benjamin, thank you Maxigaman. So the thing is by saving costs, this is around the time plastic is a big deal right in manufacturing. By saving cost Hot Wheels also made a toy that was more fun arguably, and it all goes back to the tiny replicas of wheels. They used wider wheels manufactured of plastic versus the narrow metal wheels of the old school matchbox. This means that if you buy a Hot Wheels car, it's a kid's idea of a hot rod car. And those plastic wheels right allow it to roll pretty freely, pretty quickly. Because plastic weighs less, there's less friction, it picks up more speed. Also, they purposely design the wheel with what's called a tamper, which allow like it makes an angle such that a toy car, if you just throw it roll it across a floor, it can glide in clean straight lines. And Mattel just kept all respect to you, guys, Mattel. Mattel just kept kind of failing their way to the top of the toy car game.
Speaker 2: No, and that's the thing, Like it sounds like we're nagging on the idea of like making something more accessible, and like sure, if you're someone who really appreciates collectors' items, and you know, the kinds of craftsmanship that goes into stuff that's its own thing. But to make something that like kind of capitalizes on the zeitgeist and like figured out, like what do kids really want?
Speaker 3: There's something impressive about that, even if it is kind of like evil.
Speaker 2: Corporate, you know, marketing kind of stuff. I gotta give them props. They figured out how to make a car that truly did go zoom zoom, and then they started to kind of go from there, and then they could introduce all of these accessories and all of these other things and all of these tie ins because they could make their car whatever they wanted it to be.
Speaker 1: And speaking and failing up, like I was saying earlier, Mattel had a bunch of stuff in the workshop, you know, things that never really got to the public, or maybe even didn't get past drawing board phase. Earlier, pre late nineteen sixties, Mattel had thought about creating a guitar, and the whole purpose of their mission with their guitar project was to make a guitar that never went out of tune. They lost a ton of money on this.
Speaker 3: It's so funny.
Speaker 1: It never came out. It never came out.
Speaker 2: As a musician, like you know who always like how would you? And also who cares? Just tune it, make a tuner instead of you're designing the wrong thing, Mattel, like it's never gonna happen, and like it's just again, how would you? How you made you and the weird thing to glom onto and like make your whole like crusade.
Speaker 3: I'm just thinking, it's like how bad would those strings sound?
Speaker 4: Like all your points is like completely correct, like that just that's just not gonna happen.
Speaker 3: But let's play this.
Speaker 4: You know, one in a billion they actually pulled this off, they'll probably be like the crappiest sounding strings. Very yes, it sounds like a project made by somebody who's.
Speaker 2: Not who doesn't understand music or any like just doesn't get it, you know, Like.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's it's big producer energy. It's big executive producer energy. Right, Someone's like, well, I love the ventures, but I hate having to keep tuning my guitar.
Speaker 3: And everything, big director energy.
Speaker 1: There we go. So here's the thing. Mattel absolutely craps the bed on this. The guitar never comes out and they get far enough into this ideation process that they've made a ton of this magical mystery guitar string wire and they don't have anything to do with it. So they decide, Hey, we're going to use these wires as the axles for our hot wheels, and that makes them lighter than the matchbox toys, and it also allows the cars, the toy cars to go much faster because there's less weight involved. They've failed upwards yet again.
Speaker 3: Ben, I know the answer for you. Max. Did you ever do the Pinewood Derby? Oh? Yeah, absolutely, it did a four or five years I think. Yeah. Did you elementary school?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah. I didn't stick around after elementary school though I didn't. I knew boy Scouts. I didn't Cub scouts you were too cool.
Speaker 2: Well, but I believe you made it all through the ranks of we below boy Scout, Cup Scout, et cetera, and whatever order that happens. I didn't make a past Cub Scout, but I did have the privilege of competing in the Pinewood Derby. And for those that don't know, it's you know, a race down a you know, a standardized kind of hill track with this like car kit that you make, and I just remember and want to get y'all's opinion. Was it cheating to put coins on the bottom.
Speaker 1: It was cheating. It is cheating. Yeah, to weight the front of the vehicle is cheating.
Speaker 2: So the way you get speed is by whittling it in a certain way or like carving it down making it as aerodynamic as possible.
Speaker 1: Yes, the ethical way to cheat with the distribution of weight would it would all depend on the type of wood that you use to create the vehicle. I'm sorry, the ethical way to cheat, the ethical way to Jeez derby fair enough? Okay, well, but again that's all kind of as a result of this type of energy, you know, like the idea of let's make a small thing that we can make go really fast and then we can like have you know, kids like racing each other. Yeah, And so imagine you are a department store of the time, right, You're a Sears, Roebuck or whatever. In this case, Kmart, which used to be a fairly like popular department store. I guess I don't know how many are around today, but Kmart decide Oh, Max says there are three. Max is nodding, okay, oh right, you're gonna stay on mute. There are not many kmarts. They are an endangered corporate species at the very least. But back in the day, Kmart was one of the big US distributors that choose between the p seeing coke of Matchbox versus Hot Wheels. They chose Hot Wheels, and they did it because they watched versions of both toys on a plastic track and they said, Wow, the Hot Wheels car performs better than the Matchbox car. That thing just kind of does and then yeah, and then steers the wrong way, et cetera. And after this meeting, actually before they leave the meeting, they have a handshake deal that says Mattel will sell fifty million Hot Wheels cars to Kmart.
Speaker 3: Also, I want to jump in here. I actually went and looked it up.
Speaker 4: There twenty Kmart retail stores last the United States, four of which are in the US Virgin Islands. Twenty percent of the k Marts in America are in the US virgini Isles.
Speaker 1: Let's do the sound, cue the phone backs and peacefull in log it's just for you right now with.
Speaker 3: The fat which one is that?
Speaker 1: Back to the backs?
Speaker 2: Of course, I thought you met like corporate mouthfeasans we need a sound cue for that as well, And I'm sorry, I just want to backtrack to my Pinewood Derby aside.
Speaker 3: One second.
Speaker 2: Nineteen fifty three was when that first race took place, so that would have been parallel to kind of what was going on with.
Speaker 1: It's in the zeitgeist exactly. Can you imagine being a kid in the nineteen fifties or nineteen sixties and you say, I've been so good, all I want for my birthday is a matchbox or a Hot Wheels car, and your parents say, we got you a pocket knife, here's a stick. Do your best. Yeah, take that with you to school on a show until day.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Honestly, you'd probably be better off with the pocket knife because you could learn to fend yourself.
Speaker 3: And they can do all sorts of the impending apocalypse.
Speaker 2: But you know, messbox cars and hot wheels were fun, and we're into now like nineteen sixty eight. I think they made sixteen different releases, right.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm. Yeah. The first hot wheels car to hit the market was the custom Camaro. And then if you are a collector of hot wheels vehicles or toys, I should say then you know those first sixteen releases as the quote unquote Sweet sixteen. They are identified by the red stripe on the tires. There were also you know, various accoutrement in paraphernalia that came out tracks, different sets. You could you know, you could like race them around and so on. They became a massive success to your earlier point, Noel, and this success, the gravity of it, it wasn't all trumpets and angel farts for everybody. There was one guy who worked at Mattel named Harry Bentley Bradley, who came from the actual car industry, and he said, okay, Mattel, good game, good game. I'm going back to work on actual cars. And when the company asked him to rejoin Mattel and they said, hey, we've got something really special going on with these hot wheels, he said, not me, but I know a guy. Here's my friend, Ira Guilford. He can help you design hot wheels cars.
Speaker 2: Because he had just left Chrysler, an actual facts auto manufacturer, and he shout out Laura and vogelahm Baker him at the top of the Chrysler building. What do you mean actual facts, Oh, actual facts? Sorry, I thought it was anti reference. I don't know why I think of a musical theater when in the conversation no reason whatsoever. We love you, Lauren, But yeah, I mean this. The guy understands design in the first place, so I would think maybe though coming from Chrysler, he might be more of that kind of matchbox mind of like you know, making like you know, replicas of actual cars, or he might have that more philosophy in mind. But you know, if you pay someone the right amount of money, they can like pivot as well.
Speaker 1: M sure. Yeah, and the the aesthetics apply equally, as I would argue, right. So, so our buddy Ira takes the job of designing the next generation of Hot Wheels models. Some of the coolest cars that Hot Wheels comes out with, at least according to collectors, are from Ira Guilford's mind. He makes the twin Mill, he makes the Splitten image.
Speaker 3: He's great names.
Speaker 1: They are great names, right, and they're gathering Mattella's gathering a cadre of designers, right. And the more familiar you are with the world of actual automotive design, the more important your input becomes. And it's kind of an alluring thing too. If you are coming from the world of automobile design. Now you just make whatever you think looks cool. You don't have to worry about engine performance the way you don't have to worry about intake or how the transmission works.
Speaker 2: Well, it's a concept cars. You know, like people that like design stuff for auto manufacturers that maybe, well it's their job just to design kind of the aesthetic and they don't have to worry about any of that stuff. And then a lot of times those don't go anywhere because they just don't make logistical sense to manufacture. But if you're one of those people, and that's where your passion is, worry for a company like this is a dream come true because that's all you do. You just churn these.
Speaker 1: Out and you just dream. You know, that's that's kind of good. And so there's much more to the story. Of course, Hot Wheels and Mattel continue gathering more people, legends like Larry Wood join the Hot Wheels team. It goes on and on. But now you are perhaps thinking ridiculous historians. You're saying, Noel Max Ben, You've set up these two juggernauts of a very weird specific industry. What happens when worlds collide. That's what we will answer in part two of this week special series. Big big thanks, of course to our research associate, doctor z the legend doctor Z who you know, Noel. I think I think Zach probably has some hot wheels.
Speaker 3: He probably does.
Speaker 1: I think I might have a few. Well.
Speaker 2: You know, my very dear friend Harry, you know very well, is a collector, a big record collector. But also some of the matchbox and wheels cars that he has in this collection are quite valuable. You mentioned the red stripes on those tires for the what was it, the Sweet sixteen. Yeah, those are worth you know, I mean two hundred, two hundred and fifty bucks a pop.
Speaker 1: And if you have some of those toys kicking around, save them, you know what I mean, Save them for someone that you think will really enjoy them. Right, Just don't just throw them out when you're moving, is what we're saying. We're also saying that we're going to start to amp things up in part two when we learn a little bit about the conflict between matchbox and hot wheels. It's a bit of a pepsiv coke kind of Highland moment or four versus Ferrari just so and big big thanks, of course to Max Williams, big thanks to Alex Williams who composed this slamming track, Big big thanks to Jonathan Strickland, who I from what I understand, he's the type of dude who just took the wheels off the toy cars.
Speaker 3: He just wants to watch the world burn. We'll see you next time, folks.
Speaker 2: For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.