Speaker 1: Ridiculous Histories the production of iHeartRadio Skirt Skirt. Welcome back to the show Ridiculous Historians. Thank you, as always so much for tuning in. This is part two of our continuing series on toy cars, which we promise is uh is it much more interesting and involved than a lot of people might assume. Let's give it up for the referee of our race, super producer, mister Max Williams.
Speaker 2: What so can't we argue that this is actually part four because you know we did two parts about the toy cars in Japan, so yes, this is of thing. I kind of think it's more than Zach got really into toy cars for a little bit.
Speaker 1: Our research associate, doctor Ze Well not think.
Speaker 3: If not complete us here in Ridiculous History. We do our best, and the spirit moves us. Yes, and your nol and I am Ben. And today we are picking up on the rivalry we discussed on Tuesday, which we kind of teased in part one. Here's what you need to know. So there's Hot Wheels and their big rival is the Lesnie Corporation, which is responsible for matchbox cars. This really interesting story about how they came to be called matchbox cars tune in for Part one. We should also mention at the top another company that we we didn't we didn't give airtime to earlier this week, and that is Johnny Lightning, which might be familiar to some of our toy car enthusiasts, but it's a bit of a deep cut nowadays. I'd say, yeah, I looked them up a little bit, and it does seem like they had to tie in with speed Racer, which was a really obviously popular cartoon I believe in the sixties. So the early version or was called Clutch Cargo or that whole other speed Racer and Clutch Cargo, where they had very similar animation styles. But it seems like we were starting to get into the realm of like TV and film tie ins with these cars. But yeah, Johnny Lightning and Hot Wheels were kind of eating match Boxes lunch, match Box being sort of the legacy, first to market toy car company that was really focused more on accuracy in their you know, tiny recreations of classic cars, and then, as we talked about in Part one, Hot Wheels kind of entered the chat and was less concerned with that more into like little decals and creating cars that didn't exist, which proved to be the secret sauce, because you know, kids are a lot less interested as time goes on in period accurate recreations of Rolls, Royces or Porsche's or what have you, and a little more interested in and like things that sort of test the boundaries of the imagination.
Speaker 1: You know, it reminds me of the evolution that Lego is undergone. And I'm a huge, huge Lego fan, as I believe you are as well, And a lot of Lego sets now are marketed toward adults, and I would argue that a lot of die cast models are also marketed toward adult nostalgia. But right now in our story, it's let's say it's kind of like the late sixties or so, and Lesnie is in trouble. They're in kind of a tough spot because their sales are plummeting. They've got more competition in the market, you know, hot Wheels, Johnny Lightning, et cetera. And then also over across the pond in the United Kingdom there are more competitors coming into the phrase. So Lesnie responds pretty quickly. They release a new kind of line of cars they call the super Fast line. They're called super Fast because they have these very low friction wheels. They have some new vivid colors, and initially collectors say it was kind of weird because the wheels were really narrow. They had to rework their dye their manufacturing processes to accommodate why tires. Remember they got into the game entirely because entirely because no, keep it entirely because they were already a manufacturing force for sure.
Speaker 3: And as we also mentioned in part one, Hot Wheels whole claim to fame or those Hot Wheels, Baby, they moved really quickly. They used this leftover what was it wires from the failed never Goes out of tune guitar experiment that went awry, and it allowed them to just have incredibly low friction for the wheels to turn incredibly fast. Not to mention, their other hallmark was bright colors. So it seems that Matchbox definitely trying to become a little bit more like Hot Wheels to keep up with the competition.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, yeah, yeah, that's a good observation. Matchbox continues expanding their line. They have the King Size and Speed King models. Those are cars and trucks in a larger scale, and then they tapped into the nostalgia that we foreshadowed mirror minutes ago. They came out with the matchbox models of Yesteryear. This eventually All Told became a series of sixty six historic vehicles that were considered significant in some way, and it ended with that coronation coach that kicked off their biggest I guess they're like biggest era of Glory days and we're getting a lot of this from best Ride dot com by Craig Fitzgerald. I think Craig would be a pal of ours. We haven't met, but a great article, Craig. I mean it makes sense, you know, stick with what you're good at. This is kind of what their whole deal was, was making the classic cars and having them look really accurate and having all the little parts die cast correctly to appeal to more of a collector's market. So while maybe kids might not have been snatching these up, they were pricier. They were much more designed, like you said, with Lego for adults. So from around seventy two to seventy three, Hot Wheels kind of entered into a little bit of a sales decline of their own. In seventy three.
Speaker 3: Specifically, Battel switched from their kind of brighter house style called Spectra Flame trademark, which sounds awesome, to something a little bit maybe more realistic, a little bit more of like a solid kind of matte enamel color. Because these were not very popular, the ones that were designed from seventeen to seventy three, and they weren't reused. These cars from this era are particularly collectible.
Speaker 1: And in the nineteen seventies, mid nineteen seventy, let's say, Johnny Lightning is already on the way out they go bust. In seventy one, match Box is once again becoming a force in the world market because it's modernizing its line. And I want to pause here, by the way, Noel and give a big shout out to all three of us ridiculous historians. You know you're part of the family too. You deserve to be backstage. Both myself and NOL have continually struggled not to say, but what was it? Match book? Is that book? Match book? It's tough, it's tough. Well, they're both things.
Speaker 2: There's a match book and there's a match box, right, they are real things. And I feel like the match book is more common right.
Speaker 3: It's more common in the in the usage of matches to this day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, match boxes for the discriminating voluminist. Voluminist is the fancy word for someone who collects matchboxes and match books, So big shout out to my girlfriend Brandy, who taught me that word and knows way more about matches than I dare say either any of us.
Speaker 3: Can I also point out something maybe we didn't quite discuss the original match box cars, you know, in their first you know, kind of mass marketed line, which, as we mentioned before, they weren't making them insane numbers at first. They're packaging actually resembled match boxes. You can even see, like, you know, the side where you would strike a match. It's sort of like a brown, kind of brownish black color what it looks like to have some sort of fake grit on it. So they really were leaning into that whole match box thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they were leaning into it pretty well, you know. Okay, So match box is amid a lot of different kind of corporate wars and initiatives. Right around the nineteen seventies, Leslie begins to con tact different collectors and they send Lesnie reps to these meetings and events. They're doing market research, which is very smart because now they have people who have bought in to the idea of these die cast cars, and they want to figure out what their audience desires. And this leads them to introduce commercial vehicles in their models of yesteryear series. Obviously a Model T you got to start with that. They also have a talbot. They also put these period accurate advertisements on these lippt in tea Coca Cola. You're transported back in time when you're playing with one of these vehicles. It's pretty smart move, I think. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And there's a really cool article on a website that is devoted to the history of die cast miniature cars called Tutomini dot com dot br and in the article Matchbox History by Alison Barrows, there's some excellent images of what we're talking talking about, you know, including the original designs that really do look a little bit kind of you know, like old timey and antiquated. And they sort of leaned back into their history with these Model TS, kind of sporting the classic Coca Cola logo and Liptin's and all of that. So this whole product tie in thing was really starting to kind of hit the zeitgeist and they were leaning into that pretty hard and it was it proved to be successful for.
Speaker 1: Them one hundred percent did and they didn't stop there. They also started doing something that was fairly prescient. They would make bespoke limited addition models for different markets or in collaboration with different companies like Nestle or the famous department store Herod's. And these items were again because they were exclusive and they were limited, they were super desirable for both the companies that sponsored it and for you know, civilian collectors. So imagine it's a cool flex, right. If you go to meet the corporate heads over at Herod's and one of the things in the swag bag is the custom Herod's car toy, that's a flex and I think it's pretty cool. They also Matchbox makes a lot of money from this, which that's like a department store. Right. He's still the famous to this day, and I've been it's huge, the one in London that I went to. Huge.
Speaker 3: I've heard I've heard tell I've never step foot of one of my stuff.
Speaker 1: I was, oh, oh, let me tell you this is funny, though you'll like this. The only reason I was there is because my suitcase broke in London and I had to buy I had to buy a suitcase, and I just asked someone, Hey, do you know where I could buy a suitcase? And this guy literally pointed in the direction of Herod's and said, if they don't have it, London doesn't have it.
Speaker 3: That should be their tag line. Another prescient thing that LESNIE did was they, you know, they really were trying to modernize their whole operation. So a guy named David Ya came in and he renamed the company you got rid of Lesnie, renamed it match Box International Limited, and they actually decided to send their manufacturing overseas. You know that we always think of made in China, and like, you know, outsourcing manufacturing for stuff like this and toys in particular places like China and Japan. They actually started with Hong Kong and Macau. But because there wasn't enough you know, this was still stuff that required some amount of machining skill, you know, or fabricating skill, they could not find a pool of skilled enough workers in those countries, so they decided to outsource their foundry operations to China, and this created the very first toy company joint venture between Hong Kong and Shanghai. It was called Shanghai Universal Toys Co.
Speaker 1: Limited. So let's get back to match Box. They expand further and now they're all about merchandizing. They realize that they have become what you would call nimble, right, they can expand across different platforms. They've made their deals with companies, they've heard what the audience wants, so now they're getting into other kinds of toys, dolls, games, action figures. The cars also get increasingly complex as manufacturing processes improve. You know, you see cars that have have mechanisms that the older cars didn't, like a lug on one of the wheels that can move parts like spinning fans or things like moving engines. Pretty cool stuff. They also have military vehicles that was the Battle King's Line. They have model ships and I've seen some of those, and those are pretty cool. If you want to look at those, go over to the Autopian th g A U T O Pia in the Autopian dot com and check out the article Matchbox celebrates seventy years of making tidy cars with these special zinc models by Mercedes Streeter. They're really well done and if you are remotely into toy cars or know someone who is, this would be the fun part for you.
Speaker 3: And I got a little ahead of myself earlier when I was talking about shipping the operations overseas, because that came as a result of some financial trouble that Matchbox or the Lesnie, the Lesnie corporation was having because the UK economically speaking, was not doing well in the mid to late seventies. The Matchbox cars were selling just fine, but Lesnie as a company was not doing well, and they ultimately went bankrupt. And this is in the early eighties and nineteen eighty two, so they actually sold their whole operation, or most of their production line, some of their molds, other properties. They had two universal toys and that gentleman David Ya. And that's when things start getting shipped overseas, and that whole Shanghai operation starts kicking.
Speaker 1: And I want to stay on two to many for a bit because I re like this source. It's it's comprehensive, it's a really cool website. They also explore how hot wheels had their own kind of ups and downs during the nineteen eighties. The hot ones wheels were introduced in nineteen eighty one, they had painted hubs and they had thinner axles all to the thinner axles primarily to give them more speed. In nineteen eighty three they released another line, the Real Riders, and I love how dramatic their toy line names are. These were the first Hot Wheels toys with rubber tires, and people liked them. People really liked them. But the problem was this is a business and they weren't making enough money. So the line was halted in nineteen eighty seven because it just costs so much to make those toys.
Speaker 3: And here we see kind of some drama in the big car industry, you know, the regular size ones, kind of bleeding into problems with the miniature car world. General Motors is about to release their new Corvette, but are experiencing some technical issues on the production line, so the release of the Corvette is actually delayed. But Hot Wheels at this point was already designing the miniature version of it, and it actually ended up getting released before the GM car was officially released. This did not sit well with General Motors. You think they would have discussed this, but it maybe was an issue of production and they needed to get it out to recoup on you know, the production costs. They were ready to go so General Motors actually, But then again how they canceled their whole contract with Mattel for them to license, you know, because these are these kinds of recreations are licensed, if they're having official branding and all of that. You think that somebody at the toy company would have realized this was a bad move, big picture, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. And let's go back to Matchbox is Exodus from the UK. The first batch of Matchbox vehicles made in China comes out in nineteen eighty five. They're created in Macau, which is also famous for gambling. You could say Matchbox took a gamble, I suppose. And they do this for five years until nineteen ninety and then between nineteen ninety and nineteen ninety two they're produced under license by different company, Yong Thai Toys Company, and then they get bought by Tycho. And might date myself a bit here, folks, but I remember Tycho Toys growing up as the less expensive also ran toys in the Lego aisle. They made told a lot of stuff, but they also had the not quite Lego a lot of dump trucks and things, right, a lot of military stuff as well. Maybe we talked about Tycho for a little bit. Absolutely.
Speaker 3: Ticho was based in New Jersey, in a little city called Mount Laurel. They were originally focused on electric model trains, but as a lot of these companies ended up having to do, decided to pivot to other offerings, which was really crucial. And they're finding them finding success, you know, diversifying, which included their purchase of the Matchbox brand. But in nineteen ninety seven, Tycho Toys itself was acquired by guess who, Mattel.
Speaker 1: Ah Web, Yeah, well at time. And this means that Matchbox and Hot Wheels, who are once bitter rivals, are now in the same family together and strange bedfellows, right. It happens all the time at the heights of the corporate world, which is why so many things that appear to be different brands in your local grocery store are in fact owned by the same parent company. Mattel does something pretty brutal, pretty shark like. They start to strip the brand of assets, they sell off the kit division, and then they start downgrading the quality of the toys. These are known for being die cast metal vehicles, and now they're being replaced by plastic models, and they're making these non realistic vehicles that are generic brands so that they don't have to pay any kind of fee to a producer of a car. So they it's like in that awesome show thirty Rock where they have Janis Jorplin or whatever because j yeah, Jackie, that's the one. Because they can't afford the rights to Janice Joplin's story. So these guys are cutting costs by making stuff that's kind of like but not really a copy of a genuine car. Oh the collectors hate this, by the way. They are absolutely agast. Mattel says, oh, no, we hear you. We're going to make a few special releases. They only make a few and they only go out to the United States. So this is not enough for the Matchbox collectors.
Speaker 3: No, but this is certainly probably one of the things that led to an uptick in the you know, value of classic Matchbox cars, because I mean, they're you know, obviously, the original ones are going to retain their value no matter what. But this is a sea change for match Box, a dilution of the brand. They essentially bought it for the label and not for any of the actual you know, quality or skill that went into making those cars and sort of the care and attention to detail m M.
Speaker 1: One hundred percent. We also see that the collector said, this Hot Wheels line, what's happened into Hot Wheels. It's a crying shame. They're inferior, They're less attractive. And if you know any serious collectors of anything, you know, they have profound feelings about this sort of stuff. And they said, what if Mattel is going to do to match But they did the Hot Wheels, and Mittel says, look, everybody, calmed down, We hear you. These lines are going to produce their stuff independently. Matchbox is going to make more realistic vehicles, and the fantasy vehicles, the more anime stuff that's gonna always go to Hot Wheels. Yeah, it makes sense.
Speaker 3: I mean again, like focus on what the brands individually were known for in the first place. But as you know, corporations are wont to do. In two thousand and three, Mattel essentially went back on their word here or you know, did a little bit of pivoting of their own and created an entire line of Matchbox fantasy vehicles that did not go over well once again, and they did not sell well. There was a backlash and the line was very quickly canceled and pulled from Shells.
Speaker 1: Oh and the name wasn't that great? We got to say the name. These fantasy vehicles were called Ultra Heroes. Okay, sounds kind of like lazy writing, it does it does? I'm just yeah.
Speaker 3: But then you know, they got the message again again Mattel and decided to stick to what they had said and bring match Box back to their heyday of specifically you know, producing realistic, uh and more highly detailed you know, recreations of classic cars.
Speaker 1: And as we move on, we see that Mattel has controlled both brands on the market and they've tried to you know, differentiate them so that they can still make money off either consumer preference. And there are people who are consider themselves specifically Matchbox collectors, some who say I'm solely a hot wheelers person, and then there are a lot of people who like both of them, or like particular cars from both lines. And then because it's collecting and because there's some kind of rivalry, there are people who get at each other, you know, sometimes a fan of Matchbox will look down their nose at a fan of Hot Wheels and they will have intense conversations about how one is the superior die Cast toy car. Weird hill. It's a weird hill, but you know they are passionate, and I do respect passion. Yeah, for sure. Me.
Speaker 3: Collectors are always gonna, you know, have certain beefs about these sorts of things. Ben, there is another player in this game that we kind of haven't talked about that I think, both of us being late eighty early nineties kids micro machines.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, Maxim, we're talking about this off air. I love the micromachine guy because the main thing is how quickly he talks, and it seems off the cuff, but I know it's carefully scripted. It even faster than this I do.
Speaker 3: That does kind of bring about what I remember specifically though, was the way they were featured in Home Alone. In like I believe, nineteen ninety, he used all of his his micromachines to create like a trap, one of those really sadistic traps. Let's be honest that that kid, who is definitely a little psychopath lays for the.
Speaker 1: Wet Bandits who are bad people. Don't get me wrong, but that kid is like, you know, Damien from The Omen. I mean, that is a troubled child. Who knew that the Kulkin brothers would make such a career out of portraying troubled children. Shout out to you, Roman Roy. Did you watch the latest episode? Ben? Yeah? Yeah, yeah, yeah, I've got it on the background. I tune in and tune out to my favorite plotlines.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean there's a Roman Roy moment in this most recent penultimate episode of Succession.
Speaker 1: That got me real good. How are they going to rapid performance? So that thing?
Speaker 3: That and it really feels like it's heading in a direction. I mean it's very Shakespearean stuff. Oh yeah, I mean good Lord. You know, I think McCauley's doing his thing, playing in the Pizza underground.
Speaker 1: You know, I don't know if he's doing that anymore, but.
Speaker 3: For a while he had a band and played Velvet Underground kind of parody songs with pizza fide lyrics. Wasn't very good, but I hope he's happy. He seems like he's kicking around. But man, Rory's a great actor. And yeah, definitely, Kieran is absolutely killing it in succession. But micro machines were in fact the top selling cars during the tail end of the eighties and into the beginning of the nineties.
Speaker 1: But then they kind of went.
Speaker 3: Away themselves and left the old school players to duke it out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they were cheap if you think look at the per unit cost if you're a parent who wants to get your kid a toy. But there are also a lot of them. They're very collectible, and that meant that kids were asking their parents to buy them a lot of micro machines, not just one. The manufacturers knew it. You could fit hundreds of these into a toy box. And the I want to shout out the ads John Moshita, he is the he at the time in the late eighties, very beginning of the nineties. He is the fastest talking man in the world. Get congratulations to John.
Speaker 3: He could do all those like disclaimers at the end of like pharmaceutical ads today.
Speaker 1: That's maybe that's very fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but before the advent of digital editing where you could speed everything up. But micro machines were also really really small. They were smaller than matchbox cars or hot wheels. Hence the you know, using them as a death trap for the Wet Bandits.
Speaker 1: They also had playsets. There was even a line. I never had these, but there was a line of micromachines that had smaller cars inside of them, like that Decepticon in the Transformers toys. Who is a boombox and he's got a little bad guy inside of him. That's a cassette tape. I always thought that was cool.
Speaker 3: By the way, the company that created micro machines had the best name in the whole story, Glube.
Speaker 1: I remember Galube, and I remember Glube because of micro machines and another big Glube. I don't know why this sounds like weird soprano mobster lives, but another big Galute. Another another Big Glube was the infamous game Genie and video game Hacks deserve an episode all their own. Perhaps that's for future tale.
Speaker 3: I never actually got it, but I always I subscribed to Nintendo Power for a while when I was a kid, and I remember that being commercial on TV a lot, and they always had full page ads in Nintendo Power. But I never actually messed up. It was like a cartridge that you'd stick into the system, and then you'd stick the other cartridge into that cartridge, yes, and it would hack the game or give you sheets and stuff. I'm sure that the game companies didn't care for it particularly.
Speaker 1: The coolest part was it was also kind of glitchy, so sometimes you would find yourself in weird, weird parts of the game that weren't supposed to happen, and the malfunctions were one of the most fun parts. Hasbro buys Glube in nineteen ninety eight, and Glub still exists today, but it's under the pairing company Hasbro, and like.
Speaker 3: We said, Hot Wheels then kind of regain its place at the top of the market with Matchbox sort of just tucked in there, you know, for the collectors. But I think the modern Matchbox cars don't have nearly the same cachet as the classic ones to collectors out there.
Speaker 1: So that's kind of a story, man. That is the story. And if we want a moral, if moral there shall be, then the moral of this story is the following. I want everyone to hear this in all caps italics, you know, comic sans font Save your toys. Save your toys. You never know how much they're going to be worth or whatever, and more importantly, save them so that your kids can play with them in the future. It's a truly cool thing. Thanks pay for their college or pay for their college. Thanks as always to super producer mister Max Williams. Thanks to Alex Williams who composed this bang in track. Thanks to our research associate, doctor Zach can't wait to see what is toy car collection looks like, and you know I've been thanks to you as well.
Speaker 3: This has been an interesting ride on the loop d loop course of the ridiculous history life.
Speaker 1: And thanks to you know, we'll see you next time, folks.
Speaker 3: For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.