Speaker 1: Mute forms. If it doesn't work, you're just not using enough. You're listening to soft web Radio Special Operations, Military Nails and straight talk with the guys in the community.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to an episode of soft Rep Radio. I have today a very special guest and his name is Francis Rachopi, and I'm gonna tell you a little bit about him.
Speaker 3: But first I need to point out.
Speaker 2: That we have a merch store, okay, and you help keep the lights on when you go and buy one of our mugs or our shirts and you support soft Rep. Go check out our merch store. And also we have kicked off a really cool book club and at soft rep dot com Forward Slash Book hyphen Club. I think if not you can find it by just looking up the softwarep book Club. Get involved in that, and we have a lot of books going out to a lot of our members that listen. So, without further ado to not put too many commercials in front of you, the person that we have today, I'm going to read you a little bit about him. Real quick founder and creator of the Jed Burrow podcast and founder of fr six as a guest with me today and who I've brought onto the show for soft Reap. Fran has served thirteen years in the United States Army as a Green Beret, deploying three times to Iraq and spending several years operating across Africa. A lifelong sailor, Fran volunteers to teach veterans to sail as the race director for Salehead, a veterans service organization dedicated to reducing the veteran suicide rate. He also served as the director of Global Security for Snapchat. Fran is a performance development coach for Boston University Men's Rowing and heads leadership programs for retro fitness using his five components of a performance mindset.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 2: Fran has a BA in Journalism from Boston University an NBA from NYU Stern. He holds the highest certifications in the corporate security industry and has been recognized by the FBI and the DHS for his leadership and innovation. And frand welcome to the show. Thanks for having me. I appreciate it.
Speaker 3: And I need to go to the merch store.
Speaker 2: Yes, please check that out, check this out. And also I'm sure that the Jed Bird podcast which you helm has its own merch.
Speaker 4: We do have our own merch and I built the store on Shopify. That was an emotional experience to try to have. Actually it was easy, but for me, it took quite a bit of time to figure it out.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: The hardest part is the pictures, Like what pictures are you going to put in this thing? Because I tried taking pictures in all these different places of like our shirts and our sweatshirts and our hats, and I could never get it right because right I don't have like a light booth, and I guess you could create one. And then I said, you know what, screw it. I wear this stuff. My team wears this stuff all over the place. When we do these recordings, people are going to war in the real life. Let's just put pictures of people wearing our stuff, like me and everybody and the rest of the team, in all these different places, and then people are going to actually understand what it looks like. So that's what we did. And we just launched women's T shirts because I totally screwed.
Speaker 3: That up too.
Speaker 4: I bought all this merch like a year ago. I was super excited about it, and I went to my wife and I was like, hey, check it.
Speaker 3: Out.
Speaker 4: Here's all the merch, and you go through it and she's like, well, where's the women's T shirt?
Speaker 3: Right? And I'm like, what do you mean, Like.
Speaker 4: That's the smalls and she's like, no, no, no, women's shirts are different than men's shirts. They're cut differently, you idiot. And so I so after a year, I've got out.
Speaker 3: I did it right. I took the advice and I got we got women's cut T.
Speaker 2: Shirts A little V neck right, goes a long way and a little bit on the ribs, you know, a little specific you know, same thing for my wife.
Speaker 3: Same thing.
Speaker 2: It's like, hey, I got shirts made for the shops, you know, our logos all over it. She's like, yeah, okay, well did you get any women's shirts made?
Speaker 3: And I was like, well again.
Speaker 2: Here small right media right here you go right, She's like the cut dude, it's exact same thing.
Speaker 3: So you had no idea.
Speaker 2: What a great lesson If you're going to open up a fashion line or put some merch out there, and you're listening and you have your own show and you're trying to work on spot Shopify to get that uplisted, you know, these are things you got to take into consideration.
Speaker 3: But that's money. See, when you're looking at merch.
Speaker 2: And like I look at it, I'm like, okay, I just spend one thousand dollars on like all these shirts right here, right, and they're all going to fit small, medium, large, extra large, and double X for the big guys, and maybe triple X a couple of those. But you've just got to bring in the ladies too.
Speaker 3: Because yep, hard lessons learned. And our podcast is over. Thanks for listening. That is your lesson for the Day'll be back tomorrow. We'll keep going. We'll keep going. So that's cool.
Speaker 2: So you're into you know, running your own Shopify obviously your hands on. As a Green Beret, you're like going through the qualification course and going through selections and being put through the rigorous training that you have to be chosen to be one of the three out of the song.
Speaker 3: I think, right, three get the Green Beret tests today, only three will done the Green Beret. Was Shopify anywhere in your mind?
Speaker 4: No, Shopify was not in my mind. Podcasting was not in my mind. Journalism was in my mind. I will say that because that's what I actually had, truly always wanted to do. I went to Boston University to study journalism. I wanted to be Tom Brokaw Dan rather Peter Jennings. They were the network news anchors of the ABCNBCCBS, and I grew up watching them and I said, this is what I got to do. I want to be a network news correspondent. And nine to eleven was my junior year. And then I had a decision to make. And that decision was actually not a hard one for me because I spent a couple of years watching these guys with beards and long hair riding horses save in the world. And I had I said, well, what am I going to do? Am I going to move to a small market in you know, bangor Maine. Beautiful place, but small market when it comes to journalism, Or am I going to go in the middle of nowhere somewhere in America and have to create, you know, a highlight reel working three jobs, which is you know what you used to have to do in order to get into journalism, right because we didn't have the Internet, there was no YouTube, there was no you couldn't create your own media channel like we can today. Or am I going to go and go into the army and seek vengeance upon those who did us harm. And maybe if I want to be a reporter, if I want to be a journalist later on down the road, that's what I'll do. And so that's the decision that I made. So I chose to go into the army and go there and serve and spend a couple of years in the infantry, which was an amazing experience, and then made my transition over to special forces and when I.
Speaker 3: Now, now I can make my return to journalism.
Speaker 2: Now, when you go into infantry, so you're already a commissioned when you joined or JU list.
Speaker 4: So I was a division ie athlete at BU as well. So I was on the men's rowing team. So I did not do ROTC. I didn't do I had no previous experience. So I went into the recruiter about halfway through my senior year and I said, I want to go into the army and I want to be an officer.
Speaker 3: I want to go to Offster candidate school.
Speaker 4: I talked to a bunch of people who you know, who I knew, who had served and stuff, and they said, well, why would you want to do that? And I said, well, you know, I want to I want to lead. I want to you know, I want to lead soldiers. I want to go into the infantry. That was my that was my top choice, and I want to then progress to become a Green Beret one day. And they kind of were like, oh yeah, okay, good good luck with that, but well, best we can do for you is try to get you into the army. So that's what that's why I did. I went through the selection process and when got accepted to Officer Candidate School, I went to basic training, had like a three day break, and then straight into OCS and then uh.
Speaker 2: This Officer Caredent School for those listening, OCS's Officer Candidate School, okay.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And so I had in all, like I think it was like eighteen months at Fort Benning which is now Fort Moore as of a last week. The first eighteen months was all training. That was it, you know, it was it was basic Officer Candidate School, the Infantry officer basic course, you know I went to. It was ranger school. Air were in school courses to learn about the Bradley fighting vehicles because I was going to fourth idea mechanized infantry unit. So I prepare you extremely well, to have a technical understanding of everything you need to go be successful, But what you don't have is experience, and you learn very quickly, at least I did when I walked in that platoon room, that platoon office day one, that I may have done all these great things and been a collegiate athlete and graduated at the top of my class and gone to all these schools, but I didn't know shit because the guys in that room, they're the ones who'd been to combat. Some of them had been to Iraq already, a lot had been in Afghanistan and Iraq. They were the ones who I was going to learn the most from. I had to be ready to embrace that and accept that because those who walk into those rooms and aren't willing to understand that you might be in charge, but you don't know a damn thing about outside of the book knowledge are not going to succeed. And I learned that lesson pretty.
Speaker 3: Quick, right.
Speaker 2: So, coming in as a young officer, probably a first lieutenant, second second lieutenant lieutenant, you probably had a platoon sergeant that was working with you that was like, you know, never going against you in front of the men, but maybe talking with you, you know, candidly to say things were going the way they were, right.
Speaker 4: You know, when I walked into my platoon, I sat down. My platoon sergeant he said to me, he said he had been in the First Gulf War, right, and so so you kind of you kind of look at him and you're like, oh, right, I was like eleven.
Speaker 3: When that happened. Twelve.
Speaker 4: Yeah, really, so it starts to put things in perspective, and we do it. We had a great conversation day one. I'll never forget it where he said, look, my job here is to make you successful, right you've come here.
Speaker 3: We're a team, we're a partnership. You know.
Speaker 4: I didn't have a platoon sergeant who was one of those those folks who you know tells you to, you know, sit in the corner and shut up, or you know another one who you know, yes is you all day long and talked about.
Speaker 2: Minds back, platoon, whatever you say, lieutenant, whatever you say.
Speaker 4: You know now he was yeah, yeah, no, no, no, he was. He was very much about you know, we're a team, we're a partnership. This platoon will and we were getting ready to go to Iraq. Everybody knew we had about four or five months before we were going to deploy for a year, and so you know, the pressure was on. The pressure was on to build a leadership team between him and I that was going to be successful and incorporating our squad leaders and build a platoon that was going to come home because at that point in time in two thousand and five, you know, that was that was the height of Sunishia insurgency. There was a lot of loss that we were experiencing, and you know, our goal was go there, be successful and bring everybody home. You know, that's what we have to do, and that's what we put our minds to, and that relationship was really important.
Speaker 3: I just talked about this.
Speaker 4: With the Sergeant major of the Marine Corps, So Sergeant Major Troy Black was on a couple of episodes on episode ninety eight, and you know, we talked all about that relationship and how you can actually trace back officers who don't perform well to their first platoon sergeants and their first seen you know, noncommissioned officers and whether they were embraced by them or they were not right.
Speaker 2: I can see that, you know, as a platoon sergeant, I would imagine you want the success of the lieutenant coming in, you know, even if you are old salty and chewing on leather from you know, the last couple of wars. You're like, hey, I know what I need to do here, and I know that this dude's I'm about to retire and you're just coming in. But my goal is to make you be successful, you know, And so that's really cool. I really like to talk about that because when you transition from the military and you have had leadership positions and you want to just wind up in a leadership position if you can hear the people around you still on the team, you know, and pull from them and work with them like you're in the trenches together, right, like one together, but you still have at the end of the day.
Speaker 3: What I like about SF.
Speaker 2: Guys is like a no salute zone and like a first name basis kind of thing. But at the but you have to still like you know, in regalia, you still salute the captain, you still do all of that in front of the general, et cetera. Right, So there is it's rhyme or reason for that leadership.
Speaker 4: I think what's important to understand is that there is a difference in jobs and what happens is And I just had somebody post something on our YouTube channel on the Sergeant Major Blacks episode. This was this morning. And people misunderstand, even people who serve, you know, they misunderstand the role of the commissioned officer versus the non commissioned officer. They have different jobs, okay, and even those who are in these roles often mischaracterize and misunderstand what they're there to do. My job as a detachment commander on an sfteam, as a platoon leader, as much as I wanted to and sometimes was and getting pulled back and yelled at by my guys. As much as you want to be the first guy through the door, as much as you want to be the one who's going to stand up and give direction and tell guys what to do, and may things happen, that's not your job. That's not your job. Job is to plan, Your job is to bring resources. Your job is to advocate for the team. It's to understand the battlefield. And if that requires you at some times to sit in the truck and coordinate aircraft because you're going to drop bombs or you're gonna bring in metavac or you're gonna move additional forces and you don't get to run down the street and shoot your gun and kick the door down.
Speaker 3: That's your job. And there's other people who.
Speaker 4: Are there where their job is to do that. Now, sometimes you might have to and sometimes that might be your job to go do that. And where we fail and where we go wrong is when we don't understand that role. Now, translate that into any organization, any organization, corporate world. Right, what's the number one reason for conflict in the workplace? Number one's in for conflict in the workplace role, misalignment, role, misunderstanding. I go to work every day and I want to I think that I should be doing something different than what I'm doing, and I act like that. Or me and somebody else each think that we're responsible for the other's world. And we've never had that conversation. Our leadership has never sat us down and clearly understood swim lanes. When we have conflicts in the workplace, we can so often trace that back to do you know what you're here to do? Do you accept what you're here to do? Do you embrace it? And do you execute on it? You might not like it. We don't always like what we're going to do, and you might be working to change what you're doing. But when you try to do other people's jobs, that's where we have problems.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I worked in corporate America for a good six years, you know, high tech company, and you would have people who would get hired on as a certain like say account manager, and then they would find themselves in a trust and safety department all the time. And you're like, but you should be work, you know, And I get that, And you know, maybe they gravitated towards that job because they didn't realize it existed when they got theirs.
Speaker 3: But then all of a sudden, it's.
Speaker 2: Like, you don't need to do you have to do your job, focus on your lane, like you said, you know, stay the course, have a one on one with your boss. Figure out if you're supposed to be in your neighbor's business.
Speaker 3: Yeah exactly, Say am I allowed to like give input if I hear something or no? No, no, yes, no, just let me know.
Speaker 2: By the way, I'm taking your trash out because I know that you don't want to ask me to do it, because I'm the friend on the team. I'm not just the bro on the team, right, So as the commander, I would see you working hard, and i'd see your trash can field, and when you go to toss that trash into the thing, it's going to be empty for you. So you don't have to worry about telling anyone to clean it. Because I want to be on point, sir, that's what I want. I want point, okay, And you know that, and you know that Rad's going to be on point, and you're gonna be like, Rad is the brow on the team, not the borrow, the friend on the team. Because there's a bro and a friend on the team. You can send Hey here, you are working hard. You throw your trash into the basket, trying to get everybody this weapons, a ride, a place to fight, a person to fight against the mission, and to come home. That's what you're doing in the office. And the last thing you do to do is worry about Hey, bro, you take the trash out for me. Let me get back to my work. They should already be done, they should already be looking at you like, hey, the boss is getting me this gig man. He knows I'm the preacher, and he's gonna give me some extra decord. I'm so excited.
Speaker 3: I'm so excited. I'm so excited. Right, we all over roll the plane and we got to understand what that.
Speaker 2: Is right right right, the pro versus the friend on the team. And I want to talk to my listener and say, are you the bro or the friend on the team?
Speaker 3: At where you work? You know?
Speaker 2: And it just takes a switch maybe to change a little bit, and it's not sucking up to the boss. You're hired to do things and work for the boss, and it's okay to be like, hey, is this you good with this?
Speaker 3: You like this?
Speaker 2: Are you happy with this? Is this cool? And everyone's like he's always in there talking to the boss. He's always in there like, you know, kissing up.
Speaker 3: No, man, he's just.
Speaker 2: Trying to provide customer service to who hired him, because he is providing that to the person who's paying him.
Speaker 3: And if you're working for.
Speaker 2: The captain or in the captain in a corporate America, then you owe them some customer service. And hey, we all want five star Google reviewes, you know, go ahead and leave me one. Your boss wants you to leave them one. That kind of thing, I don't know does that make sense?
Speaker 3: But we don't. We can't lead in a vacuum. We can't lead, and we can't and I don't.
Speaker 4: Even recently, I've kind of stopped saying the word follow right because I don't. I think it sets the wrong message because when we think about what do effective organizations do, and again, it can be in the military, it can be outside of the military. If you take it back to lessons you learn in the military, take it back to basic training, take it back to the recruiting posters. Look at the recruiting posters for the army. Okay, be all you can be. That's the army went back to be augum, which I think is a great, great idea. Look at the marine posters. Okay, where in the visuals that you see does it say follow? Where's the motto that you see where it says follow?
Speaker 3: Now? Okay.
Speaker 4: Someone will say, well the inventry models follow me. Okay, okay, Well follow me is not I'm going to follow you. It's follow me together like I'm leading.
Speaker 3: I am leading you.
Speaker 4: Right. It's all about leadership, right, So we train people from the recruiting poster to be a leader. We never talk about. This is what it's like to follow. Let me, we're gonna have a block of instruction today and points a performance of following. Now, through your training of being a leader, you're gonna do things like rotate roles. Okay, go back to the conversation we just had, Well, what do you do in a different role? Sometimes you shut your mouth and you do what you're told. Is that following maybe? But is that also training yourself to be a leader Because this may not be my domain to make a decision in and to organize forces and organized projects in two things, and my role here maybe to execute this portion of it. I'm gonna lead that portion of it. I'm gonna take own of it. I'm going to take accountability of it. I'm going to execute. I'm still a leader. But we never talk about following. And so any organization, whether that organization is in the military, whether it's a corporate environment, whether it's a sports team, it doesn't really matter. We've got to train leadership from day one.
Speaker 3: I completely agree.
Speaker 2: And I think that you know, there's enough sheep and shepherds and wolves out there fighting over all of the past year that shepherds have the cattle prod Okay, and so it's like be a shepherd, you know, be your own self shepherd. And I think I want to talk about Audie Murphy. You're familiar with Audie Murphy. Yes, I've heard of him, Okay, Audie Murphy right, World War two, you know, decorated nineteen year old Okay, let's be.
Speaker 3: Clear, Anco Award named after him.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and became a commissioned officer in the field, okay. And it's such a young man, a self leader who didn't give up, went after the burning tank and got up onto the to the weaponry on there and just started offend the German forces as a leader. Like everybody else around him was just like probably wounded, and he was just up there his own self, his own management skills, his own thought process of that recruitment poster or you know, going through his basic training and honing in on leaderships skills all came to fruition for him. You know, he just had to make all these decisive decisions at such a young age, right, Audie Murphy is someone who is a very you know, decisive leader in the middle of a shitty situation. I never usually swear, but I mean, you can't really get it any other way on the podcast, I'm just saying I try to keep it totally chill, but you know, god, I'm very emotional about it. But Audie Murphy very good leader right there, Like in crisis.
Speaker 4: Well, i mean, think about how a special Forces team is organized. Okay, So a special Forces team is because this small unit it's a little bit easier to do than in a larger organization. But that's also why we have sub levels of command. Right, you have managers, Okay, Well, who's a manager. Well, a squad leader's a manager. That's a people manager. A team leader is a manager. Okay, an individual soldier that's an individual contributor. And I'm thinking, you know, talking primarily about the task organization of like an infantry platoon. Well, once you're in the corporate world, once you're in charge of one person, you're considered a manager. So if you're in charge of five people and you're a five team leader, you are a manager. And same for a squad leader who's in charge of nine people. Right, these are subordinate levels of command on an SF team. We have seniors and juniors across the various different specialties. But the entire conversation that we're having when we talk about input and planning is we're seeking input from everybody on that team because we understand at the leadership level that we don't have all the answers that why do we recruit, assess, and select dynamic people from different backgrounds because they're going to bring different perspective to problem sets and what we want is to have that conversation. So we want to be inclusive in our planning process to understand everybody's perspectives. But then we want to be decisive in our decision making, knowing whose decision it is, most often the commander who's going to take input and then make the decision. But then what happens when we make the decision, It doesn't matter what your argument was, you execute that decision, barring illegal and moral caveats.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: So that's what is really great about when we talk about instilling discipline in that the military teaches primarily people right is you don't you're taught when you walk out of that room if your idea didn't get chosen, you're going to shut your mouth and you're going to execute, and you're not going to talk bad about everybody and spread dissension. We see that We don't see that enough.
Speaker 3: In the civilian world. We see that. I mean, when you can talk about politics.
Speaker 2: Oh, this is conversation with someone yesterday. I said, you know, what you're saying is dissension among your team here, and I can hear it, and if I hear it, other people can hear it.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And that just happens, you know.
Speaker 2: And if something happened between you and someone else on the job, then that needs to be taken care of between you and someone else. It doesn't need to be spread out to Bill Bob and jammed down down the way because they weren't even involved. Now you're just spreading dissension about someone that has There's two sides of every story.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Patrick Murphy, the former congressman and Secretary of the Army, was on the podcast last year forty one or something like that, I don't remember. And he has a great quote that I've used a lot, and he says, you can disagree, but you can't be disagreeable.
Speaker 3: And what's the difference between those two things.
Speaker 4: We can disagree, we should disagree, we should have different we should have open discourse about our perspectives on a topic. Correct, But what's disagreeable when the decision is made that we're going to do what you want, and I don't that. I shut down, I shut you out. I don't want anything part of you. I'm unwilling to talk about it. Or because you have a different perspective on an issue, whether or not a decision has even been made, I'm not going to sit here and listen to your perspective and all I'm going to do is speak badly about you. I'm going to work against you, and I'm going to create divide that's disagreeable. And what we are experiencing now in a totality of many different things, I think society writ large is a society in which we think that it's okay to become disagreeable and we can just shut you out. We can say bad things about you on social media, we can turn you off okay and block you, and now all of a sudden, you don't exist. Well, that's not productive to building organizations, because what's going to happen in two next week, a month, a year when I need you on my team, when I need you on my side for an issue, You're going to do the same thing to me. Right, It's true anywhere. Yeah, are you going to are you going to always have? You know, I like where you say, know your place. You know, there's a time and a place to approach the chain of command and talk to them. And if you do get to voice your idea on a mission or in a planning corporate planning session or just as your small business you're just talking with your wife in bed and your partner and you're just trying to come up with a strategic capability. You just got to you know, I guess just be the best you can be and don't get at each other's throats. And I guess you know your place. You know, Like, I'm really good at doing what I do for my company. My business partner's really good at what he does. And he always tells me, well, I'm not a welder, so what's your excuse. And I'm like, Dael, that you built the tank, dude, it's so cool. He's like, but I'm not a welder, so what's your excuse.
Speaker 2: I'm like, I'm a model my hand, you know, jokingly aside, and it's I'm shutting that. But I give him respect for him, you know, leading for me to see that that's and I'm not really following his lead. I'm just walking in his I guess I am. Yeah, Ajax, there you go. There's a shout out, bro. I appreciate you. I'm trying not to follow like like my man friend here, but I do. I do follow in Ajax's footsteps on some things, and I think he follows in mind and together. That's kind of like a team effort though you know, well, you're supporting each other. That's called being a teammate. Yeah, you know, that's called I mean, and so what else do? What else is a big component that's missing from organizations in the civilian world.
Speaker 3: It's the it's the team ethos.
Speaker 4: It's this idea that you know, well, you don't in order for me to win, you don't have to lose, right right. We can all benefit, but we only benefit when we work together, you know. And but what happens is we don't instill. I'm thinking of this, so I to think about the best way to tell this story. But I'll give you any extentp My daughter's in eighth grade. She had a a lacrosse game last week. Okay, I live in Connecticut. Lacrosse here, like there's five year olds who would have beat me When I was in high school playing at the high school varsity level, like this is I've.
Speaker 3: Never seen sneaky around the pass and stuff football.
Speaker 4: I took my daughter to practice the other day and there was a high school like JV or freshman game going on on the other field, and this kid had this ridiculous fast break. I literally yell, I don't even know, I didn't know one person over there, and this kid took it down the field, made a sick move and scored. And I was literally like, yeah, I have no idea who the kid was. I don't know anything about it. It was just a ridiculous play. I've never seen that. But anyway, so this, uh so, they showed up to the game and fifty percent of her team's not there and they don't have enough players. And so they're playing a very good team team next door, probably the best team, you know, as it's players, and they have all their players they got there.
Speaker 3: They now they have a bigger team anyway, and they have all they have all their players.
Speaker 4: Ye and so eventually, you know, a couple of girls trickle in, you know, late, and they end up having the exact amount of players that they it's like whatever it is.
Speaker 3: Eleven or something like that. I think there's more and.
Speaker 4: Girls across, but so there's no subs, right, And all these girls went out and they gave it absolutely everything they had and they got made fun of by the other team.
Speaker 3: It was actually really disrespectful. It was quite frustrated. As a father, I was, I was really kind of pissed. But they were super rude the other team.
Speaker 4: They were disrespectful, they made fun of them. They said really nasty things. But my daughter's team lost, like it was like sixteen and nothing or twenty and nothing.
Speaker 3: It was really bad.
Speaker 4: No subs and and you know, but think about just only the psyche, right, like, you know, forget about the play on the field. Then, you know, I try you try to coach. You know, they're in eighth grade, so it's try to you know, you can only control what you can control. Don't think about the fact that you know, like you're just gonna go out there give it everything you have. But you know, their mind was made up when they showed up to warm up, and you know they're down players and they're like, we're never going to compete with the best team right now, And so you know, there was, but they fought hard and they did everything they could. And you know, my point after the game to my daughter was, I said, what did your coach say? And she said, well, the coach is upset. And I said, all right, well what's she going to do about it? And she said, well, you know, she said she's going to make the other team, the kids who didn't come, that they should have to run in practice. And I said, you know, it should have to happen. The whole team should have to run. The whole team should run the whole practice, because this isn't about the players who weren't there. This is about the fact that this is a team and you let your teammates down. And what's going to happen If you punish those who didn't show up, You're going to actually create a divide between those who showed up and those who didn't. So what we have done in my previous career, everybody's going to run, and everybody's gonna get punished. And did you deserve it for coming out and playing hard?
Speaker 3: No, you didn't.
Speaker 4: But do you need to now learn to hold those other people accountable for not coming?
Speaker 3: Should they know?
Speaker 4: On the other side, of that equation that when they didn't show up, they've now punished you. Now not advocating that we should you know, every beat, everybody.
Speaker 3: Right, you know we did there, here you go, it's right. But like we've got to think about today, how are.
Speaker 4: We building our teams? How are we reinforcing teamwork because we're creating individualistic societies. Zoom has created an individualism amongst teams.
Speaker 3: How do we.
Speaker 4: Ideate if our interaction in the workplace all day is in forty five minute block of scheduled time on this, how much gets done after meetings? Five minutes after meetings walking down the hallway more more? I would argue, Yeah, gets done. And what's happening? Yeah, right in the environment when you're around people and we're seeing this, we're seeing all these companies. Facebook Zuckerberg was talking about it last week that he was wrong when he came out after COVID and said we're going to move everybody remote, we never need to be together again. And all those who stood up, Yeah, and now they're like, we haven't created a new idea in three years.
Speaker 3: I mean, I get that.
Speaker 2: During the COVID, you know where it made sense everything was getting shut down. Businesses had to stay open, and here we are, we're using those mediums right now, this podcast situation. I used to be hand to hand with you in the room, you know, sitting with a mic, right, and then COVID hit separated everybody, and now we're just starting to get back to where you're having like in person interviews on tea.
Speaker 3: Or other galas.
Speaker 2: Right, we're only about six months after the mask mandate or something. It seems like here in Utah just being done. You know, maybe that maybe it's been three years already. What year is it?
Speaker 3: And all blends together?
Speaker 2: My man, you know, I'm just like, but yeah, I can only imagine being in the workplace where you thrive on the so from my gun my Airsoft stores, you know, it makes sense for me to be in there, And I start thinking about everything that goes on with wargames.
Speaker 3: I'm like, here, I am, this.
Speaker 2: Is the wargame generator in here, and everybody in here is all about war games. And the moment I leave and I get into my commuter seat belt and I buckle up and I'm driving, I'm thinking about, oh, what I'm gonna take my wife to dinner. So that's a different. It changes from being in the environment. If I'm always at home, always looking at dinner, working, it doesn't seem like I'd be so productive on I don't know. I need people around me to help brain storm and you know, sling mud.
Speaker 4: The human being is a social creature. And I do not believe anybody who says I don't need people around me. I think those people actually need to talk to somebody, because that goes against every fiber and the psychology that we as people. We as people need to be around other people. It's fact, and we thrive in envirnus. Now there's varying levels, right, you know, they are introverts.
Speaker 3: They're extroverts.
Speaker 4: Not everybody's going to be in a room of one hundred and thirty people and make everybody laugh and stand up.
Speaker 3: Or can they can?
Speaker 4: Some introverts are incredibly amazing at it.
Speaker 2: I have They may not know it, but they have it. And you know, unless they go into a room of people and say hi.
Speaker 4: A lot of comedians don't like to talk to people, right, I mean they're like, what, I think you're full?
Speaker 2: You know, like sixty thousand people, Oh hey, what's the joke. But afterwards it's like, get me out of here.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 4: But they still have like someone or a small group of people, and everybody needs that, right. People thrive on that. We talked about community, you know, community comes up a lot and a lot of conversations we have on the podcast. But people want to be around others.
Speaker 3: You can't really have the isolation, you know.
Speaker 2: I watch these reality shows where they try to match make in isolation and they try to fall in love with never seeing each other, and like then they finally see each other and it's.
Speaker 3: Like a person, and I love you even more. Your mind was great, But damn you're real.
Speaker 2: This AI is coming, you know, And so I mean, who knows what they're gonna be thinking they're talking to or who's hand they're holding.
Speaker 3: I don't even know about terminator, you know, going on a date with terminator.
Speaker 4: Geez AI is a This is an interesting place we're in.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 4: The the open AI CEO was on was testifying in front of Congress and you really don't This is a new world where where we you've got people who created society, changing technologies, who are asking for regulation and saying, you know what I've created and this is it takes an extreme level of maturity to say, like, you know, what we created here can be used in a harmful.
Speaker 3: Way, and I respect, I respect that perspective.
Speaker 4: And him being able to get out there and do that, unlike the TikTok guy who just denied everything. But this is a very scary, scary place because there is a place for things like chat GPT that can be very very useful for society and will advance society at a rapid rate, and the things that we need, but put in the wrong hands is a very dangerous technology. And when we start talking about, you know, having to decide and try to interpret what is real and what is not it, we can be in a very very difficult spot quickly.
Speaker 2: You know, we were filming some scenarios out here where we do some off site work with a friend of mine, he runs Mission six zero, former Green Beret Jason van Camp, and we were out here doing some stuff and we videotaped it all. And what I was gonna get at is my buddy's like, hey, rad can you get on the radio and record yourself talking about like some chatter over the comms while we overlay in this video while the guys are moving with you know, the weaponry. It's like HQHQ glisser and copy how copy That's what they were really wanting from me. And I was like, you know, I'm so busy. I can't do it today. He's like, no problem, and then he sent me a link. He's like, listen to this and tell me what you think. And it's me and it's like glcerin, this is rad. Meet me at the HQ. Let's go to the farmhouse and grab the objectives. And he's like, yeah, Roger, Rad, this is glitcering out. And I said to my wife, listen to this, and my best friend, business partner, Ajax.
Speaker 3: Listen to this.
Speaker 2: He's like, that's not you. It's like, it's not me. He's like, I can tell it's not you, but it's you. I was like, right, yep, I'm saying, dude, that's prey. It's creepy. I didn't give him my voice either, see my editor. I didn't tell him anything. I said, I can't make it tonight. I can't get on the radio to record this. And he's like, oh, no problem. I didn't give him like the words.
Speaker 3: Yeah he went and pullet yeah, pull it yeah, yeah, yeah, your voice is your voice is all over.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what I'm saying, right, and so it's all over. I tried chat GBT for messing around with the podcast.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I had a dude on and a dude excuse me, a major general dude, sir.
Speaker 3: He's still dude, dude, he's surf.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: He was in charge of the VA.
Speaker 2: From sixteen to twenty twenty one, doctor Richard Stone, And so we were talking and going back and forth, and I just put in my chat GPT I said, give me questions for this dude's title at this organization, and it came up with ask him what.
Speaker 3: Can the VA do better?
Speaker 2: What can this algorithm do better for VE? I was like, uh so, I usually use my own questions, like we're doing right now.
Speaker 3: I'm scared you feel me, it can give me all the questions. Oh man.
Speaker 4: I think where we run into some you know, outside of certainly the national security piece of the whole thing. I think where we run into some societal issues around education mm hm. At the end of the day, we need smart people's right, and there are certain things I have conversation around with my daughter all the time. You know, nobody can put the work in for you. You know, you want to be the lacrosse player, then you got to go out there and you got to run, you got to work out, you got to throw the ball, you got to catch the ball, you got to shoot on a goal. Nobody can replicate that. And it's the same for education. You know, like you can't go onto AI and first of all and not incorporate in the conversation about what if it's wrong, But you can't educate yourself through AI. So you can learn something, but you still got to read it. You still got to you still have to interpret it. And when we look at the educational system, what do things like higher education teach you, you know, even to use your brain, to use your brain, right, Like I don't remember size it. Yeah, I don't remember ninety percent of the things that I learned in college or in grad school or in undergrad. But what I learned was how to think through problems, how to do research, how to find solutions. And if we don't do those things. And our answer to the thirty page term paper is to type in write me a paper on X. Right, Well, haven't gone through the exercise. That's like looking at the rebounder, looking at the goal, looking at the basket, and then showing up to the game and being like, let's play and expect to perform well when it matters.
Speaker 2: Without ever running the court right, just like not ever even just like I can do this. It's preemptive text. It starts way back then when we were like typing on our phones, like the AABBCC see, and it would bring up do you mean these three words?
Speaker 3: And you choose one of those three words.
Speaker 2: And then all of a sudden, now we have you know where it prompts you you misspelled your word right underlying red or blue, and you're like, oh, I mean the right word. You're not still spelling the word. You just read it. You know it's right that way, but you're not spelling it. So it's really just it's dumbing us down. I'll say it. We gotta you know you do you still write with a pencil your self?
Speaker 3: Friend? You know it's true? Right yeah? Right here? Same. It's like I take notes.
Speaker 2: I still write because even though my handwriting seems atrocious, it's still legible.
Speaker 4: Sometimes I in my notebook here and sometimes I can't even read what's on here.
Speaker 2: Notes, notes, notes, It says Fran. Says Fran, I'll tell you, do you have a whiteboard? Do you ever use a whiteboard still in your Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's on the outside. Yeah see.
Speaker 2: And I find that a lot of guys from your you know, your club there all have a whiteboard still in their life, and they're always plotting and planning on a whiteboard. And I remember Dad in the office. He'd had like two to three years out on this big whiteboard, go all the way along the wall. It's like go to Thailand, you know, like wow, oh I don't hear you, Frand friend, I don't hear you.
Speaker 4: Oh sorry, I hit the road, h yeah, hit the space bar. So there's a so certainly on the white the whiteboard, you know, is a great tool when it comes to like ideation and kind of riffing and coming up with you know, throwing a bunch of things down really quickly. But what I think what you're talking about is having that project list, you know, and like so, you know, my various initiates, would it be the podcast, whether it be my business and security or the leadership business. There's a lot of projects going on and things will become overcome by events and if you don't have something that you can look at that's kind of always up there, right that even when you walk in the room and your your your eye catches it and you're like, oh man, that project's on you know, it's on the RFPs do that's there? You know, like okay, but I got to remember about that. You know what happens on the screens here is we open other screens and we do other things on those screens, and then we forget about that project tracker. You know that's no longer on the wall. I actually hung a TV here but you can't see it, but behind my monitors where I can project up the project list. So for that very reason, because I was like, well I need, you know, every day, I need to be remembering what are these things that we're working on or are going to forget about them?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you have to have that.
Speaker 2: It's good to have a visual aid that just reminds you of I have these things, these goals that I got to do. It's like, oh, okay, just set a goal list, chase after it, and even if it's like a two year timeline, the cool thing is you're moving towards your goal and you can move your goalpost.
Speaker 3: It's your goal. So if you have to, if you've gone two years and you followed that timeline and you've only gotten halfway through what you thought you would have, at least your goal is still on there and you're still chasing it. Yep, Yeah, what are you going to do?
Speaker 4: I mean I asked the question of folks all the time. You know, what are you going to do today to change your position? Because no one's gonna do it for you. That's the conversation. I know this week having a lot with my daughter, you know, because she was super upset about the game. I talked about you know, and I said, look, the answer is you got to make the team. You got to make the other team, right. You know, the answer is you're on the P team. You got to get on the A team, right because you're not gonna If you think you're gonna change behavior of twenty other people, that's not gonna happen. But what you can do is change your position right to the top. You can do something every day and it's not gonna happen this season because a couple of weeks left, but you could start that process now. And you know, you've got nine months when you come here into this next year to put yourself in a position where you're not going to be around these people anymore, and you're gonna be with the people who think like you do. But nobody can do that for you. So what are you gonna do every single day to change your position? And every morning that's what I ask her, what are you going to do today? Ten minutes? Five minutes doesn't have to be. You don't have to go out there, all right, you know I point out that you don't have to go outside and run for an hour and a half. But can you do ten sprints? Can you run for ten minutes? Can you take twenty shots on the goal? That take what two minutes?
Speaker 2: Just before you go coool or just before you lay just go out the door, just like set it up?
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 3: What? What? I know? A guy that's bow archery.
Speaker 2: I watch him all the time and before he goes to his regular job and he's a book writer, he always pulls his bow at like five times and just then he pieces out in his truck. You know, he's always dropping that bow. That just constantly honing his craft. Yeah, ten shots a day before you get on the bus. Yeah, what's that at the end of the month twenty two, over two hundred extra throws, extra extra extra tweaks, extra static points. You know, I snowboard all the time. My wife and I go like two three times a week. It's constantly. I was like, how did I look. She's like, you look like you? And I'm like no, no, no, no, no, Like I look okay, because I always do the filming. Yeah, not to sound like I want to I see myself, but I just want to see style. I want to see my style. Yeah, you know, I'm working on it. I'm doing these extra little tweaks. I work on this, this rubber ball that I have behind me where I stand on it, these different balance moves.
Speaker 4: That's good. Yeah, you got to increase balance. That's all a core course strength course. It's all course strength.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: My right now, I got a sore quad from riding the slush. It's super slushy up there right now. It's open till June first. So yeah, one hundred and fifty inches still of base at Brighton.
Speaker 3: Crazy. It is crazy. I know.
Speaker 2: I was talking to someone who's there from New Jersey and I said, this is probably like your peak season snow is what We're still trying to keep going up here.
Speaker 3: We had enough in this yere right? A couple of feet maybe a couple of feet.
Speaker 5: He's like, I've been here for two weeks riding straight. It's like, good, okay, get out there, chase it. What's that guy I do for a job? Because I need to go do that, you know.
Speaker 2: He said, honestly, I asked him. And when people when I write on the lift, I'm like, so are you a rock star or rich? I say it all the time. Just because we're masked up, you don't know who's on it with you? Is it post Malone? You just don't know who you're riding? Is it rad is it Fran?
Speaker 3: You know? So what do you do? Why do you?
Speaker 2: Oh you have a podcast and now you get a ride on the resort every day. Maybe I need to go after a podcast, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So he said his wife was a nurse and she makes good money. And I was like, all right, led Zeppelin man, steady loaded, woman, gonna come away.
Speaker 3: That's my wife. Yeah, there you go.
Speaker 2: That's a shout out to you, babe. I seen that she always pays for dinner. I'm like, led Zeppelin, baby, well, Fran, I know I've had your time for about an hour, and I know it took us about a month to link up, and I've really had a wonderful time talking with you. And there's so much more that I'd like to throw out there, like you're always.
Speaker 3: Welcome to be on the show.
Speaker 2: You know, we can do something with Fran in the future, and and have you just get motivating, right, You're very very cool how you talk and just relate, and I appreciate your service to our country and to those that you did were able to bring home and those that maybe didn't come home. I'm thankful for their service as well and the people that they fought for as well.
Speaker 3: So you know, from all of us here, I just want to say thanks, well, thank you.
Speaker 4: I love what you're doing, I love your platform, and I love the message that you're spreading. So keep up the good work and thanks for the invite. I'll definitely be on whenever you want me to come on, I'll be there.
Speaker 2: So oh no, it's perfect, perfect, that's great, and it's so it's the Jedburg podcast that's going to be posted up down at the bottom.
Speaker 3: Of this wherever it's at.
Speaker 2: And you can also go check it out, go like and subscribe, click on his notifications.
Speaker 3: Make sure you calm it down below.
Speaker 2: Make sure that if it wasn't for you, there'd be no I want you to really know that to my listener. Also check out our merch store, check out his merch store. And I carry this pencil like David Letterman, so I can just throw it at the computer. And with that, I just want to say peace from all of us. Here is software
Speaker 1: You've been listening to surf w REP Radio