Speaker 1: Pushkin. This is Talk Easy. I'm San Fragoso.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the show.
Speaker 3: Today.
Speaker 1: I'm joined by comedian, actor and director Rommy Yusef. He's the creator and star of the titular Emmy nominated series Rommy. If you haven't seen the show, it's based on Rommy's experiences as a first generation Egyptian American Muslim on a spiritual journey through a politically divided New Jersey neighborhood. I should also add, in case it wasn't clear by my overly serious description, the show is really really funny. You'll hear why in this conversation that I had but Rami, which covers the Israel Palestine episode in season three, his Jersey upbringing in early fories into film, the politics of his stand up comedy, and how as a first generation Egyptian American he's redefining what the American dream looks like. I should also note at the top that we tape this talk a little before the Writer's strike began on May second. We do allude to the strike in passing, but since the WGA went on the offensive, many of its members, of which Rami is one, have suspended all press appearances out of solidarity. Later this summer, we will be doing an episode on the strike and all that's at stake as right fight for a fair equitable deal with the AMPTP, which includes places like Netflix, Amazon, Disney, and just about every other major studio in town. But until then, if you'd like to learn more about the working conditions that writers like Robbie are fighting for, we've included resources in our show notes at talk easypod dot com. As for today, I want to recommend season three of romy It's now available to stream on Hulu. It's one of my favorite shows of the last couple of years, and it was an absolute joy and thrill to sit with the one and only Rommy yusef, Ramy, yusef. A pleasure to meet you, so good to meet you. How are you feeling.
Speaker 4: I'm really happy to be here. A lot of stuff happened already off pod. There's a lot of good snacks outside and great coffee. Do you have any idea how many things I go to that are completely snackless. There's just not a single offering of anything. Maybe water and you can tell it's tap, but here, I mean, this shit is filtered. Thank you?
Speaker 1: Is this material for your new stand up special.
Speaker 4: I express myself in sometimes things that sound like they could be bits, But I'm not a tester. I don't test my material and conversation. If I think something's a bit, I keep it to myself. I'll try it on stage.
Speaker 1: Because you don't want to give ideas away for free.
Speaker 4: It feels cheap. It feels like I'm using a lunch to further my career when I'm just trying to have lunch with my friend.
Speaker 1: Well, you're on a podcast, so if you want to try stuff out, you're more than welcome to this.
Speaker 4: This is a gray area, but I will say it falls a bit into the lunch category because of the snack quality that you offered.
Speaker 1: Do pop tarts constitute a lunch for you?
Speaker 4: So there's bad here of mini pop tarts that is blowing my mind because I never want to commit to a whole pop tart, of course, and I feel bad that they figured out the product outside of my prime of eating it thirty two thirty two years old. It starts to get weird.
Speaker 1: You know what's unbelievable. People always say about our show that we really talk about these big, weighty subjects, But really we can talk pop tarts.
Speaker 4: Get me going on gushers and it'll get deep.
Speaker 1: I am kind of afraid to get you going on gushers. I feel like we'll never get anywhere. I do want to start with something that's just happened, though. Yeah, you recently observe Ramadan, right, Yeah, it's been a week. I want to start here because you've said, this holiday, more than birthdays, has always been a marker of time for me. What did this marker denote this year? Around?
Speaker 4: Great question?
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: This year was I was traveling a lot, so I spent some of it in the Middle East. I was in Saudi, and I was in Egypt, and then I also was in Chicago, so it was cool to be in three different places. And one of my favorite things is, no matter where you are during Ramadan, there's night prayers going on. So you can just go to a mosque almost anywhere and there's people there doing the same exact thing, breaking fast at the same exact time. So it's incredibly grounding, you know, and especially as someone who travels a bunch for stand up or for whatever filming stuff, you show up to a new city and you feel a little weird at first, and so to kind of travel that way where knowing no matter where I was going to be, there was going to be something I was going to be doing every single night was really cool. And it felt this year on paper should have been harder than other years. You know a lot of times I like to stay in the same place because you're not eating or drinking from sunrise to sunset. But it didn't present itself that way, which was really cool. It didn't feel difficult.
Speaker 1: What were the takeaways, if there were any from this reflection.
Speaker 4: Coming to la right now? And I spent so many of my twenties here and it was really emotionally turbulent, and you know, it's just like anyone's twenties. You're trying to figure out who you are. And so there were times where I would just feel all over the place. And I think this year was probably the first year that I thought, oh wow, I'm feeling less scattered. I'm not letting as many things get under my skin as I would have this time last year. And I think sometimes the threshold is really low. When you're not eating and you don't have coffee and you don't have water. You see how quickly you can get frustrated, and it really shows you where you're at. You feel really naked. No caffeine will really show you where you are. And I was like, Okay, I haven't had my coffee and I'm still still good. You mentioned last year, why don't we talk about some of what happened? Because you released season three of this show romy and since the show came out, I believe it's of twenty twenty two, the tensions between Israel and Palestine, they have only escalated. Having filmed in Jerusalem, how are you thinking about both the conflict over there, but also the context that people now have in approaching something like episode two of season three? Yeah, you know it was end of September, was the third season of Rami, and then in August we released the first season of MO, where he's you know, proudly an undocumented Palestinian guy in Texas. And then in Rami, we have a totally different take where Rami is, you know, American born, and the episode we did is almost completely around his own privilege as being kind of American born and going over So what's been a culture shift? When I think about when we started writing both those projects, it felt risky at the time to even you know, and this was before or there was like what I would call a big kind of viral Instagram moment that the summer of twenty twenty one when people really started talking about what was happening with the occupation of Schef's genre and also even people really being open and saying, you know, this isn't a conflict, this is an occupation. You know, this is a completely inhumane thing that is happening. And I think even in the time, like you're pointing out, from writing the projects to releasing the project's big change, because by the time they came out, it was like, oh wow, people were more open to having this conversation. It doesn't feel as WHOA is when we wrote it, right, And that's in an American context, because I think in Europe and throughout other parts of the world, people understand what's happening in a more clear way. And so I think the approach that we've taken with both shows, to me was always kind of a timeless approach because we're focusing on character, so we're not getting into the nitty gritty of political debate as much as we are kind of saying, you know, what is the you know blind eye that an American Muslim like Romy turns to when you know he's living in a country that also has colonial tendencies, and then he's visiting a country that is being affected by colonialism, and so watching that all play out again from a personal place, right, Like, I'm not trying to use the show to sit and go back and forth. There's people who are way more qualified than me to talk about this, but we're trying to just put human characters in the middle of it.
Speaker 1: Well, why don't we take a look at a scene from that episode where your character is in Jerusalem on a kind of Tinder like date. Yeah, this is from season three, episode two of Romy, now available on Hulu.
Speaker 5: I can't but if you actually came, yeah, sorry, I was late to fucking checkpoints took forever.
Speaker 6: Yeah, with checkpoints times, they're never accurate.
Speaker 7: No, I know, it's so frustrating.
Speaker 5: Like, I'm from New Jersey and we have if you hear the Lincoln Tunnel is basically a fucking checkpoint, Like it takes hours to get into New York, but sometimes it takes minutes. So everyone's always just confused, like, and is it going to take a long time? Is it not and then it costs like twenty bucks now to get in. At least you guys you don't have to pay, right, Yeah.
Speaker 7: Sorry, it's okay.
Speaker 6: We don't need to keep talking about this ship the store.
Speaker 7: I work in jewelry, it's it's it's why I came. What about you?
Speaker 6: I work in a restaurant in Romola, but I'm starting my launderer company. Really yeah, super affordable Lungeri. And the tag is everyone has the right to be sexy.
Speaker 7: Wow, your family's it's okay with that?
Speaker 6: Like religiously, Muslims in the West are so fucking updight you act like no one ever kissed before.
Speaker 7: It's lungerer. Everyone wears it. I'm not comment to Yeah, yeah, of course you know I'm not. I'm not up tight like I've kissed before.
Speaker 1: My favorite part is him complaining about the commute, like it's going from Santa Monica to Los Flies. It's like, it's ease, I know, stuff happen.
Speaker 4: Yeah, She's like they built the wall that wasn't there before. He's like, I get it, stuff happened, but you know, you really could have told me before I got And yeah, but you know.
Speaker 1: He had told me there was an active on the one on one.
Speaker 4: So you know that that's really where, you know, we talk about a character with privilege and a character who is clearly you know, we get into his addict like tendencies and I think it says everything too though about the perception. Right she starts talking about lingerie and he's like, what you guys are that open about, you know, and not realizing that the American Muslim bubble is really that it's a bubble, and it's oddly disconnected at times from what's actually happening in the Middle East, because you have all these kids who are you know, their parents were immigrants and haven't been back for a while, and they're really working hard to maintain the image they have of where they were, but it's from the eighties. It's missing the last forty years and we grew up with it. And then you kind of go over and you realize, whoa, they're moving at a really different pace than what we've been trying to uphold.
Speaker 1: There's not a whole lot in the middle of the Israel Palestine Ben diagram. Did you create Rommy in that scene so that they could both agree on something which is that you know, you're not a great guy.
Speaker 4: The design of the episode from the writer's room was purely Rommy's gonna sit with the Palestinian woman, He's gonna sit with the Israeli woman. In both situations. Is gonna be like, what the fuck's going on with this guy? You know that that was one hundred percent straight up character assassination on the level. It felt like the only way again to keep it, you know, to keep it character. But this woman that he goes on this field date with, I think the actress herself, I think got the script and said, whoa, I could say this, you know, And that's what's fun about making something with a crew in the actual place. I mean, you know, here you're on set. Only producers or writers talk over there. The guy you know who's doing craft service and bringing food will say, hey, man, you know, it would be better if you said in this part and you know, and I'll say that to me, you know, between takes, and I'll go, oh, okay, yeah, yeah, you live here. I'll take the note, you know, I'll take notes from anybody, you know, the transpo guy, whoever, whoever's got a thought and same thing. You know, we obviously had a Palstinian director on the episode, but being with that crew, going through the script with them and really getting it to a place where they felt, Okay, yeah, we're proud to shoot this, it was a really cool experience.
Speaker 1: You recently said that this new season was mostly about a crisis of faith. Well, what did you mean by that?
Speaker 4: I think, you know, for the Romi character, we kind of built the show. The premise of the show was always what does it look like for someone to not try to erase not just lineage, but their faith practice, Because I think what I was seeing a lot of was this attitude of oh, I grew up religious, I grew up this way, but thank God now free of that and I get to update. And I said, well, that's not really how I feel. You know, there's a lot of my tradition, a lot of my faith that I want to adhere to, but I'm kind of trying to figure out what it means to do that right now in this current moment in time. And I thought that tension was different. You know, the guy actually wants his faith. This season is the first time in the show where he's disillusioned by it, and we're kind of watching him, I think arc from performing faith to kind of stripping it down and putting it back together again. You know, that's the journey that I wanted to put him through this season.
Speaker 1: There's also in this season more of an emphasis on the crisis of faith in the American dream when it comes to your parents. Yeah, in particular, was that on mind.
Speaker 4: Very very I mean, I think it was also looking at you know, we're coming out of COVID and we're coming out of a big reimagining and also a big dent to a lot of the systems that you know, we've all been trying to invest in, you know, to work, and then we kind of watched a lot of them really shake. And that's still playing out now. You know, the rebounds of that are really happening today. And I think part of the pressure that Arami type has, or any kid of an immigrant has, is knowing that their parents made a really tough move that was a gamble, and you know, you're the dice and you got to roll the right way in order for them to feel good about what they did. And so when you spend a lot of your life feeling like I got to be the thing that makes my parents' existence worth it. It's a very odd pressure to have. But then you know, really also wanting to step back from the parents who are like, well, was it really worth it for us to even come here and make this gamble too? You know? Are we getting what we thought we would get? Is this the dream we signed up for? A lot of these things that they put a lot of stock in are falling apart for them, And I think that's also part of them realizing, Okay, you know, we've been living culturally in a certain way, but we need to be more spiritual because we're trying to invest in land, We're trying to invest in the idea of a country. We're trying to invest in this idea of a job and what a job means and to have a job that informs my identity, and then realizing, no, there's probably something more spiritual to really be digging into. And so yeah, that awakening is happening for all the characters. To understand the context of the dream your parents had, then we have to go back a little bit because you grew up in New Jersey with Egyptian parents, and you said, as practicing Muslims, there was a performative element that felt like you were living in your own Truman show. We've been talking a whole lot about performance. What did that look like? I'm trying to remember the context in which I said that. That does sound like something I said. You're pulling great stuff. I like that, you like your words. I'm like, dude, past me was Wow. You ever worry that you're regressing?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I do? I do?
Speaker 4: Is that regress easy?
Speaker 1: We do fifty two a year, so I have a shot at redemption every week.
Speaker 4: This one's a progress episode.
Speaker 1: We're finding it.
Speaker 4: I feel it. Yeah, your progress is in how I answer these questions.
Speaker 1: And your progress.
Speaker 4: This podcast bears nothing on my progress. Oh really, Yeah, I'm just I've already had a good time, like coming in. Oh okay, this is in the wind column.
Speaker 1: Yeah, most of the do with the pop tarts.
Speaker 4: The pop tarts. I liked the lighting in here. It's nice, you're nice, the ac is good. I'm good. Yeah, I won.
Speaker 1: Sounds like Trump.
Speaker 4: Honestly, if you didn't look at what he did and just you know, some of what he said an optimist.
Speaker 1: I mean, I could see how someone who grew up with a photo of Donald Trump in their living room as you did, would say something like that, you want to offer contacts with that for people.
Speaker 4: My father, Yeah, he worked at the Plaza hotel for over ten years. When he came to the country, he just started, you know, he was a busboy at some of he started at the Waldorf Astoria and it was because he spoke Arabic and there were a lot of high spending Arab clientele that would come in from the Gulf.
Speaker 1: He was previously travel agent in Cairo.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I forget, yeah, you know my dad, I mean he was last week's guests. So but yeah, so he he started bussing and then he kind of went over to the Plaza and he was doing that too, and then eventually became a manager of all the food and beverage and all their like banquet halls and all that stuff. And so he do the Trump Kid's birthdays or I'm working late tonight, it's you know, Eric's birthday, you know, like that, you know, And at the time wasn't bad or anything. It was just this is just, you know, a guy my dad works with. But I think part of what we got to explore in the first season, which was something that was very true in my life, just that fear of being a kid and being so close and at the time my dad worked in the city when nine to eleven happened, And I think part of what we got to do as a show, and part of what even other things that I continue to explore, is just the impact of that time for the psyche of a kid, especially a kid who felt implicated.
Speaker 1: Is that how you felt?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I did, because you're looking at a screen on TV and you're seeing these people who've done horrible things, and you know, one of them's Egyptian, the other ones this, the other one's that, and they have names that tell only people in my family and look like people that are in my you know, so, and that's the only reference point in any media. Was that right? And then you start to have this self doubt trickle in where I always felt like I had something to hide even though there wasn't anything to hide. And then I also didn't get to fully digest my own background from you know, like a pure context or even an inquisitive, curious context. It's all in the defensive, you know, so everything that I know is just about defending myself at that time. It's not a curious exploration and an understanding, And I see this in a lot of people of my generation, where it's like now we're in our thirties and only just now we're really getting into our faith in our background and from like a more curious place.
Speaker 1: Specifically, do you remember a moment where you can kind of acutely remember playing the as a kid?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean some of it is in the episode we made in the show, just like I remember really being in a history class as a middle schooler and pointing to a map and really trying to put Egypt in Africa, you know, and just say, wholeheartedly, straight faced saying I'm African, you know, like like and then leaving and knowing I'm not really African. I know, I'm not African, you know, and being in that place. But for me, the whole thing is I'm never gonna be someone who sits in and pretends like horrible things happened to me, you know, or we experienced hate crimes on a big level, or something like that. And it's why in making the show, I never try to paint the family or the Romi character as victims because I'm not in a position to say I'm a victim. But i am in a place to say, oh, you know, there are things that really happened here that, oh, maybe I can make an offering to unpack comedically. But it was a mind fuck the whole time. It took me a long time to even admit that.
Speaker 1: So if it was difficult to explore or even examine parts of yourself at home, I wonder when high school rolls around, you take this TV production class. Was making videos in that class a way of examining and exploring parts of yourself that you previously weren't able to do.
Speaker 4: You know, I felt this when I was a kid, even before I went to high school. The first thing I ever saved up for with my aid post Ramadan aid money was a video camera, and I loved that. I remember being a kid and just going around the whole town and my street and I would film things, and then we'd go visit my grandparents and Queen's and they had a computer that had a Windows Movie Maker. It'd be a whole day, we'd be there, a whole weekend, and I would just be in there on that computer editing things that I shot. And then by the time I got to high school, there were more tools to do that then that became short films and that kind of thing, and then I started to write I was right news, and then I started to be in them, and so it was a big incubator. And my buddy Jonathan Braylock, who I still work with a lot, but then my buddy Steve Way who's on our show, we did a lot together in that period, and I think we kind of started to find a lot of things that we were just making each other laugh, and then years later we got to make the show together.
Speaker 1: Well, we are going to watch one of those films that appeared on a YouTube comedy channel called Inside Joe Films. Now for the context around this period, you're a freshman in college at Rutgers, nineteen years old, working part time at an apple store in the meatpacking district, Yes, attending acting classes at Williams Prestudio. Once those classes ended, you would run to the train station, hop on, get home by twelve thirty one o'clock, and fall asleep. That process is like wash rints and repeat. And it's in that wash rints process that you wake up one morning, brush your teeth and notice a minty saliva dribble running down your chin, which I think happened to me this morning, by the way, but what happened there?
Speaker 4: I got Bell's palsy. The level of research is unbelievable. I'm starting to think you knew to bring these mini pop tarts just based on something I had said at some point. Yeah, that was a big life changer for me because I was doing everything, you know, and I was going to college in the morning, then i'd go work at the ebble store, and then i'd go to acting class, and then i'd do an improv set at night or a sketch or whatever, and then i'd get home really late. I was truly bringing myself out at a pretty young age. Then this thing stopped me and I said, Okay, you know, I can't move my face. It's weird. Sometimes it goes away after a few days. They'll go, oh, it'll be a few days, or be a few weeks, or it'll be a few months, or it'll be a year. And if it's more than a year, it just might be how your face is where half your face just doesn't work. You can't even blink. I had to wear an eyepatch at night because my eye would otherwise dry out, and I had it for six months. This was my biggest at the time bargain with God, which was, Okay, if this gets better, I'm going to drop out of school. All I'm gonna do is I'm gonna work on acting. If it doesn't get better, I will accept it, and I will continue school, and I'll drop out of acting school and I'm just become a lawyer, you know. So I was really dramatic about it, and it made it a real inflection point for me to say, Okay, if I heal from this, I'm actually going to free myself from trying to do everything and trying to please everybody. And I was in that place where I was enjoying performing, but I really wanted, you know, to do right by again. You know, my parents made this gamble. I didn't know anyone who's exceeded in comedy.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: How do I go home and tell my dad, like, thank you for not seeing your parents for a majority of your life, and I'm going to perform at a theater. But then this thing happened and I said, life's too short. I got to just do this for me. So it created that well, why.
Speaker 1: Don't we take a look at you in that fork in the road moment where you turned Belle's Paulsy into a short film aptly titled Bell's Paulsy Hilarious.
Speaker 3: Why we got it to Chicago Sketch Fest?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 4: No, No?
Speaker 3: What what's wrong with your face? John? I told you on the phone, I have Bell's palsy. We got to come up with a plan. No, there's no plan, we just need.
Speaker 1: I got it.
Speaker 7: This is great, man. You can't even tell.
Speaker 3: But you know Halloween's over tonight.
Speaker 4: Right, It's okay, man, I've got a plan. Really?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Three?
Speaker 3: Two?
Speaker 1: What happened in your.
Speaker 3: Oh? Come on? What you still have Bell's palusy?
Speaker 6: John?
Speaker 4: I told you that Changing of the Year wouldn't magically heal it.
Speaker 7: It was my Christmas resolution. That's sweet.
Speaker 1: I know I have not watched that for ten years. How does that feel watching that a decade later.
Speaker 7: It's cool that we did it.
Speaker 1: It's not that bad. I was like, this should be a lot worse.
Speaker 4: Right, I watched one of the sketches we did. I was getting ready to be like this is gonna really suck, and then I went back and I was like it doesn't really suck.
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, no, they're all tightly edited.
Speaker 4: It actually means a lot, because that's when you work with a network, they always edit you down, you know, But we had no network. Man, we edited ourselves down here. I take pride in that. You know, wow, we had that down.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 4: Maybe the writing wasn't always there, maybe we were figuring it out, figuring out our voice, but we edited.
Speaker 1: Your commitment to editing, to acting, to making these it is what propelled you forward and brought you to Los Angeles. Did you make that call all to come here at like three in the morning at a place called the Candlewick Diner? Because it seems like you love making big decisions and diners. And I love diners. I think you love them more than me and Michael Mann, who I thought loved them the most based on every film he's made.
Speaker 4: I love diners. Sometimes I feel like my whole life's happened in a diner.
Speaker 1: What happens to you in there? Is it just like the prices? Is it the good attitude?
Speaker 4: In a Jersey diner? They are encouraging you to loiter And I think that was really nice to have. I definitely edited some of those sketches. I would I would go plug in at a diner for sure.
Speaker 1: Did you make your decision to come to LA at one of those?
Speaker 4: It was kind of made for me because I booked this you know show on Nick at Night, And I actually was reminiscing about this the other day because it was funny. I got, you know, a call from my manager at the time, and he said, listen, if you can fly yourself out to LA they want you to meet do this producer session. Right for anyone who doesn't know, it's you meet producers and then if producers like you, you test with the network. And if you test with the network, they pay for your flight. But the producer session, you don't get that. And so I remember looking at my bank account I got this call. I was at Apple, I had just dropped out of school. I looked up ticket prices, I looked at how much money I had. I went, I logged into my like Wacovia bank app at the time, and Wacovia famously got acquired by Wells Fargo. So this is just for anyone who's like really into the economy. That's most of our listeners, I think a lot of people, right, yea, so Wakovia. So I go to my Wacovia. I type in my username, my password. I look at the amount of money.
Speaker 1: It sounds like a virus.
Speaker 4: It honestly really does have, like coronavirus. Yeah, yeah, I picked you know, she didn't She didn't. Of course we are. She didn't tell me. This is staying it, you do. Like I love editing, and I'm telling you the Wakovia a bit has to in. I log into my Wakovia, I look how much money I have. I look how much a plane ticket is. The disparity between what it will cost to get me there.
Speaker 1: And what I have is one hundred fifty dollars.
Speaker 4: It's under three hundred. It's tight. But at the time three hundred you know you're eating, you know, for a couple of days. But at the time, I go, okay, I'm gonna do this. My goal was not to get the show. It was to test because I thought if I could test for the network, at least I know they'll get me a hotel and they'll get me the flight back. I couldn't fathom that I'd actually book it because it just felt so insane. But yeah, so I end up going and I test, and I was like, great, they got my flight back. They put me in a hotel. I literally go from my friend Lina's couch to getting a hotel over on the Hollywood and Vine. I'm like, this is big. I'm by the Chinese Theater, I'm hanging out, I'm going to the Wax Museum. I'm living life.
Speaker 1: And then I booked the role and we're like a couple of blocks from there.
Speaker 4: Dude, every time I drive by, and I lived here for ten years, every time I drive by, I go, man, remember that trip. It's a big shift.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 4: It's across the country, which is almost like going to a different country. I was living at home and then suddenly I'm living by myself. It's actually still the biggest thing that's ever happened to me in my entire life.
Speaker 1: After the break more from Robbie Yusuf. So you move here for this show called See Dad Run. You're living in an apartment in Korea Town on sixth and Saint Andrew Place. When you get this show. I was thinking, because like you know, this writer, strike is upon us right now. Will you be able to stay afloat through sea? Dad Run residuals.
Speaker 4: That? And that's the question. Whatever deal we made on. That was part of an issue that the WGA had because it was like such a bad type of deal. It was a residualist deal actually, and it's the kind of thing that they're trying to get to the bottom of. So I would say the lineage of c Dad Run is very directly tied to what the guild is fighting for now, you know, over ten years later, and so you could see that run to the current strike that is upon us. So that that's a really clear line that not a lot of people are drawing. I think if you had a yarnboard, it's a big one.
Speaker 1: And it's like, it's kind of good that we're finally drawing it, that we're finally making the connection that's always been there.
Speaker 4: It's always been there. It's been unsaid, it's been awkward, it's been kind of one of those Hollywood things no one wants me to talk about. Yeah, yeah, should we And we're dre to Wow, you know, this is it. This is ce Sam Run. You know this is big. I stand by that joke and let's keep it in the cut. I stand by it. It is It's not quite Wakovia level, but it's good. Yeah, I mean I don't feel sick after it, unlike Wakova. One of your co stars on se Dad Run is an Oakland comedian named Mark Curry. Yes, he decides to take you on the road where you open for him.
Speaker 1: Is that right?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Now there's one night in particular, you're at a hotel and you're by yourself in your room and it sounds like, I think, because you just bombed that you kind of lean into and start to discover your comedic voice as a stand up. Is that right?
Speaker 4: I bombed so bad that the Miami Improv booked another comedian for the next night because I did so poorly the night before. You know, I was supposed to do fifteen minutes and then I did it. But then the next night they said, hey, you only need to do five tonight. You know, we got someone else to do. In between the nights, I had this thing. I didn't know anyone in the city. I was so in baars. I was so ashamed. And then I go into the hotel and I completely just forced myself to say, Okay, I don't want to feel that again. And I wrote a lot that night, and then the next night I came in and even though they had cut my time, like my five was really on it. But I remember the club owner really being like, where was that last night? And I just said jet lag and then I walked away kind of confidently.
Speaker 1: It sounds like you made a kind of pivot in the work. What do you think you were moving towards?
Speaker 4: It was just digging deeper. It was playing a different kind of room, you know I was doing. I started doing stand up on I moved to La you know, I'm doing like silver Lake rooms, Burbank, these kind of different kind of demographics as opposed to when you go to a Mark Curry show, and it's like I could feel this thing of what's your essence? As opposed to some of these smaller rooms I was starting to stand up in It was just do you have a witty idea? These rooms they were like, dude, are you funny? Are you not funny? Because you're not funny, We'll just talk until Mark comes out. It wouldn't even be like I bombed and it was silent. They would just watch me for two minutes and then go anyway. So and then just conversations start. Full full conversations are happening while are doing stand up and so immediately I had to put myself in a position of how do you hold attention and also realizing the value of having people's attention, don't waste it, really offer them something.
Speaker 3: So I just.
Speaker 4: Dug much deeper, and I had to move through a lot of fear, and it was really nice to not be in a city where I knew anyone. Those early road dates were just really good for that. You know, you don't know anyone, so just go to the hotel room and write and get better.
Speaker 1: But it essentially all came back to essence.
Speaker 4: Yeah, any useful diversion from someone's attention to say watch this, listen to this, do whatever. I take very seriously, and I say, well, I better be providing a unique essence of something for them. If I'm gonna ask them to take an hour to watch my special thirty minutes to watch an episode like why why am I asking you to not talk to your family for thirty minutes? This better be worth it.
Speaker 1: Well, then I think we should problem take a look at what may be the earliest televised example of you stepping into and finding your essence, which comes in twenty seventeen when you made your Late night debut on The Colbert Show. Yeah, the performance did come on the heels of Trump's Muslim band.
Speaker 3: I still think we're gonna be okay.
Speaker 4: I really do, because I believe in God, like God, God, not yoga.
Speaker 3: But and I know that's a weird thing to say. I get it.
Speaker 4: You know, religious culture can be crazy. I don't agree with all of it. I grew up in a town where I watched my gay friends struggle to come out to the religious community, and now I live in la where I'm a religious person struggling to come out to the gay community and tell them what I think. They're just like, you believe in God, Dude, that's so gay. I just for me, God is hope that there's more to life than what's in front of us. You know that even if things seem impossible, there's still a chance that it could be okay.
Speaker 3: And I'm not trying to be preachy. I'm really not.
Speaker 4: Like.
Speaker 3: All I'm trying to say is just just submit.
Speaker 4: To Islam because it's the truth, and that's the only way you'll be saved.
Speaker 3: Seriously, that's the only way.
Speaker 1: That was six years ago.
Speaker 4: Now I feel like I'm so much younger there. Six Yeah, I still can't believe that they let me say that on TV too, because that was one where the producers were like, I remember just getting this call because they saw the transcript of the set and like, so, yeah, so you're trying to say, you're trying to end the clip with submit to Islam, and I remember I had to like bring them out to a show to say no, no, it's a bit. It ties to you know, what's happening. And it's one of my favorite kind of bits because it's the kind of bit where if you are kind of just an open minded i'll say comedy fan that skews liberal on a certain level, you watch that and you go, that's really funny, Like he's playing on this fear that everyone has. If you're conservative, you're like, oh my god, look at this. It's the Muslim agenda. And if you're Muslim, you're like, nice, it's the Muslim agenda.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: Like so it kind of hit all three buckets, which is what I you know, is kind of my favorite you know, lane to be in.
Speaker 1: You're always thinking about those three buckets.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I want them all to be happy, which sounds like an insane way to live. It does sometimes I feel, you know, insane, insane, and I know you feel it too. Don't drag me in of yourself, dude, come on, you do.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, have me at Wacovia.
Speaker 4: This is such a good bit. That bit comes from pain and shame. You know, you know I like that.
Speaker 1: You know that's good.
Speaker 4: I know, dude. You can hear what ivoic. Yes, man, stuff people can't even see on the podcast. It's a body language thing. Yeah, but oh wow, seeing that's crazy. I haven't watched that.
Speaker 1: And looking back at that clip, it feels like a clear bridge between your early comedy and the comedy that would inform the pilot of romy Yeah.
Speaker 4: I did that Nick show, and then I was doing the Road with Mark, and I remember that show ending and thinking, okay, cool, I was on a show, and now that I've been on a show, I'm going to be on other shows. I'm going to act. And it never happened. I was so bad at auditioning or I would get really anxious, but then I would also feel like nothing quite fit me.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: I would go in and they'd be like, you're not the leading guy, You're not exactly the nerd well I want you to play the brown guy, but they didn't understand the reference in which they were writing it. They would write something that was for someone who was Indian or Pakistani and then they'd say, oh, you're kind of you know, there was no real So there was this thing where the acting thing just wasn't hitting. And I almost forgot for a period that I knew how to make my own things because I just got so into the acting world. And then I said, hold up, I got, you know, this gift of an acting job, but that's over and now I got to go back to digging into what it is I really want to say and what I want to do. And so there was this period of just doing stand up for the first time in a serious way. It was like three years straight where it's just I'm doing stand up every night. I'm figuring out what the next chapter of my life is going to be. My first ever open mic in LA was with my buddy Ari Kcher. He'd been working on Drad Carmichael's show, and I had been opening for Drowd. I'd also been opening for Mo who you know wed you know his show together now, and so in that time I was just doing a bunch of sets with them, But then Ari and I kind of started talking about Okay.
Speaker 1: Cool, let's do the show. It was a really productive time from there. You make the show at premieres in twenty nineteen, you win a Golden Globe in twenty twenty. But throughout the show's run it's been four years now, a whole lot of people have compared Ramy to programs like Louis Master of None, Fleabag. But I want to talk about the the influence of Larry David and Curb your Enthusiasm, because he said once there's a twin ship between Jewish humor and Muslim humor. What is that?
Speaker 4: It's like an inherent sarcasm, an inherent self deprecation. You know, it really hit me just how not celebrating Christmas really put me so closely intertwined with my Jewish friends. It's you're really missing out on this massive human event. You feel like a five year old adult because everyone believes in magic, and you're like, dude, this is just a ploy for Macy's to sell stuff in December, you know, And you're looking at your Jewish friends and they're the only other ones who know. And so there's something about that in America where I feel, oh man, we're the only ones who really get each other here because we missed out this childhood window of daydreaming about Santa. We're like, yeah, that dude wouldn't fit down the chimney, and you got a bunch of kids who are like, of course he fits because of the you know what, and you're just like, you guys are brainwashed. It creates something very early on that I've found to be at the heart of our humor, you know. I mean, yeah, look, Larry's just, I think the funniest and he's so honest to what he thinks in his perspective, and it's why I always think Muslims and Arabs are some of the funniest people because they're so steadfast, whether in what they believe or what they think. They're not going to move off it. And that's comedy to me. And when you have four people in a room who all think that way, it's just so much certainty. It's just hilarious. It's just so funny. I feel that's what's really funny about Larry. He's so certain despite being completely wrong, and that's wrong.
Speaker 1: And a whole lot of situations, like thinking back to that scene we started with at the beginning of this conversation. You're on a tender like date, but he's so and that he's the best she can do under the.
Speaker 4: Under the occupation, under the occupation. That is definitely something that is his own kind of probably Larry david Ish moment.
Speaker 1: It is reminiscent of Curb Your Enthusiasm, because there are so many moments in that show, like in Rommy, where you're sitting there going, oh my god, dude, will he just shop talking? Okay, but hold on, we're talking about the comedy side of this show. But so much of the writing and the dialogue around Rommy is about representation, what this show means in this moment and what it tells us about ex people, which I've always found to be sort of reductive and not terribly interesting. So I want to ask about something more specific, which is this quote you have. You said, my work is not about showing that we're all the same. It's actually about highlighting the difference is because we're not all the same, but we're all trying in a similar way and we're all feeling in a similar way regardless of those differences.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's yeah, I stand by it even more so because I think the level of specificity that we aim for is not with the intention of creating a flag to represent It's just the thing that me and the people who make the show want to do with this specific set of characters, and it's not really meant to be wholly representative of almost anyone, even if you get really subsecty, you know what I mean. I've always felt like the show has a right to exist outside of that framing, because then it allows it to be something that is an exploration in its own tone, in its own thing, and not have to fit into Hey, Muslims, we've got a show for you, because that puts us in an impossible position that is also an inaccurate one. And so yeah, I'm not interest saying we're all the same, Like I'm more in favor of saying no, no, we're different. But we have the same debts, we have the same stresses, we have the same desires, even though the way we approach them or the tools we have or the belief systems we have look different, you know. And so it's like, yes, on a level here, I'm saying something has been done to say that people who live in the Middle East are not human, you know, so on a level that has been done through a lot of the media that's happened over the last thirty years, there's been a dehumanization. So in terms of where Ramy falls into the realm of representation, it probably mainly checks the box of if you thought we weren't human beings, we are. But if I'm trying to tell you anything other than that, it's going to fall short. I'm not trying to say this is what Muslims are like all over. I'm not trying to say that I'm just like you. I'm not trying to say whatever. But I'm trying to say the process of surviving, in the process of living and being, all of that is really similar. And so the monoculture of just us, we're all the same. It's well intentioned, but it really falls short. And then sometimes the goal of what that does. That's where I see the effects of colonialism still happening. And you know those countries in the Middle East where you know, you'll go into a restaurant and they only have a menu in English. If you don't read English, don't even be here. These are the kinds of things we've been kind of led to believe in our own culture because the storytelling and the narrative of what American culture is so strong. And I'm not saying it's all bad. I mean I love that I grew up here, and part of loving growing up here is getting to talk about all the baggage that comes with that and how that influences everyone everywhere, and what's fun about making these shows? And you know, now we're you know, we're making more shows and we're doing other things that I've been able to do with my production company as it's own out of making Rami and making other things. Is like, we just get to show so many different slices of that. And I think representation is not one show. It's like thirty you know, it's movies. It's a lot of artists getting to try and getting to fail and getting to mess up and getting to be imperfect and getting to succeed. That is more so what I think that means as opposed to you know, anything one season of television or even three could do that basically.
Speaker 1: Squares away the macro conversation. As we leave, I want to bring it back to you as a person, because again, that episode that we've been interrogating and circling over and over again. Episode two. What happens in the last ten fifteen minutes involves you trying to get past the border, having your coat stolen. Inside the coat was your passport. These preteens took it in part because you stole their bike, and you have this quote said, I think what happens with this kid, the kid who stole your coat boomerangs for Rami and becomes this ever present haunting of what happened and is for me very symbolic of the manifestation of guilt that I just feel as a person all the time. I guess I want to sit with that because at thirty two, Yeah, having just finished Ramadan and where you've been thinking about where you stand and where you are and where you want to go. That guilt that you feel, are you still working through that? Is that still fueling a lot of the work and who you are at this moment?
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think about the cost of living all the time, just what it costs for us to have everything we want all the time. Right, there are people in the margins of this country that are deeply suffering in ways that people in other parts of the world aren't. Then we've you know, lived between New York and LA where you can walk into a supermarket and get whatever you want all the time, you walk into a clothing store and get whatever you want all the time. I'm willing to bet a lot of the people who listen to Talk Easy are able to afford some of those things, and that comes at a cost that's way beyond that. You know, when I look at the way the episode ends, haunts him the whole season because this character, for sure, is talking about his American passport and he's being very ignorant in how he's doing it. And then in order to fight for his privilege, someone in that episode directly suffers and they continue to and he kind of goes off and he's trying to live his own life and he's spiraling in this way and then realizing, oh man, you know, and then it kind of comes to a moment at the end of the season where he tries to do something towards that debt. Even if it's you know, successful or not, isn't even the point is he addresses it, and you know, I think there were a lot of people who saw only that episode and didn't finish the season and we're really upset by it. You know, they're really upset by what happened. I think part of that too, even going back to the representation conversation, when there's so little that even touches something like Palestine, I understand those sensitivities, and you know, it's our stab, it's our try, and it's something that we made with like a palstinging crew and pulsing director who really they understood the vision for the whole season because we're asking people to watch ten episodes, not just the first two. We're asking people to be invested in what this means for a character. And so what it was trying to get at for me is that feeling of sometimes merely the way that you're living has a cost that you never have to look at. And if that is inspiring for me to like figure out anything I could do in my own, at times very minimal position in the scheme of the world, or if at any times I have windows or shots to talk about things in a bigger way, then I can't feel good about that because I need to continue to try and be at least somewhat part of making that a little bit better. And it's funny. You guys say it out loud and yeah, you sound it sounds crazy, or it sounds just incredibly I don't know. I don't know what it sounds like, but it.
Speaker 1: Sounds like you listen to what your uncle told you as a kid. He said, it's the humans job to give back more than what they take.
Speaker 4: That's one of his good quotes. That's a great quote. I think about that a lot.
Speaker 1: It's funny we keep circling around this idea of what it means to have a voice in this moment while not being overly delusional about its power. But I do want to know if you think your work in some ways is in line with the generations that came before you, because it seems to me that it feels like an amalgamation of the work your family has done, which includes your grandfather who was an interpreter for the Arab League and the United Nations. Then your father, as we mentioned last week's guests, the travel agent in Cairo, who would show a marriage can the Paramids, and so in thinking about being an actor, a writer or director, the creator of this production company, Cairo Cowboy, do you feel like your work is a kind of amalgamation of both interpreter and travel guide.
Speaker 4: Well, it's beautiful.
Speaker 1: The funniest answer just be like no.
Speaker 4: You know it's a soft no, but no, it's it's beautiful to hear it in that context. I think for me, I really respect people's time. You know, you only have a half an hour to watch them. You know, you have such a busy life when you watch anything that I say, I'm not in a position to give you hard facts about anything. It's truly, it's just comedy, you know. But what I hope I'm able to do is just bring people closer to some of their own human questions. So a lot of what I'm doing in anything I'm doing is openly offering and workshopping the stuff that is going on in my head or in my heart, or that I wonder about. I'm open to do that in as nakeative a way as I know how to, and the hope is maybe that inspires a conversation you weren't going to have with someone in your family. And I think especially growing up in a few different communities, not even just you know, the air of a Muslim community, but a few different communities where it was hard to talk about certain vulnerable things. My hope is that you know, me asking my questions, me doing my workshopping, me finding the funny patterns, and me also failing sometimes in how I do that and other times succeeding in how I do that? Is an offering that helps digest some things that are not digestible. Then I feel, in my own little corner of what we're all kind of chipping in to try to do, I'm doing something.
Speaker 1: You know. Well, Then my last question here, if we ever like listen back to those or do this again.
Speaker 4: I'll be back.
Speaker 1: Okay, So when we do this again, yes, let's have this as a time capsule for us at thirty two, recently married. What are those questions that you're asking yourself at this moment. We don't have to have the answer for them. What are those that you want to put on record?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: You know that I want to put on record is just we're really siloed right now. I think a lot of people are really siloed into their experience, into their phone, into things they're doing. What I've been thinking a lot about is what is community going to look like? And how do we bring back being connected in as many real life ways as possible, And a lot of what I've been thinking about right now is how do these stupid jokes and how do these shows you know where we're just giving again workshopping, giving our best stab and like trying to get at that you know ethereal it? What does that turn into? Just in terms of people getting to feel less lonely? But a lot of what I've been thinking about is just, yeah, well, what does that actually mean? Offscreen? What does that actually mean beyond asking for people's attention? What happens once you have it? And where does that go? I don't think I'm the person to lead anyone once I have their attention, But it's more like, yeah, how do you what does it look like to just turn that into a way where people just get to genuinely feel closer together in real life? And I think, you know, we've been talking a lot about I'm sure you've been talking about in your circles a lot about AI and how what we're going to see over the next few years is just going to be so rapid, and I think that need for real life togetherness is going to be at an all time high, And so just been trying to figure out you know, what do I need on a personal level. But that's a big question.
Speaker 1: You still want to make the show.
Speaker 4: There's a lot I want to make. When we finished the first season, I realized what it took to make a season of television, and I remember thinking, I would love to do this for three or four seasons and then put it down for a bit and live some life. There's nothing about the story that says you can't take off for a while and then come back. I can say, you know, here's where this is at. So I think a lot of the decisions I'm making right now is yeah, when does that hiatus come? Is it now?
Speaker 3: Or are we going to do one more?
Speaker 4: It's probably now.
Speaker 1: Well, look, whenever you put it down, I will make a promise that I'll still be here on the other side of it, if it's any consolation. And in terms of stupid jokes, boy, we have made so many of them. I don't know if they've helped make meaning out of this conversation.
Speaker 4: I hope, But I think in the time here we've definitely caught Wachovia. I think it's a great ending.
Speaker 1: Romy yusef I'll plug you so fun And that's our show. If you enjoyed today's episode, be sure to leave us a review on Spotify, Apple, wherever you do your listening. Just clicking those five stars somehow, even in twenty twenty three, is still the best way for new listeners to find the show. I want to give au special thanks this week to Chase Later, Matt Haberman and the team at Narrative, pr Hulu, and of course, Rommy Yusef. All three seasons of Romy are available to stream exclusively on Hulu. If you haven't watched the show already, I highly recommend you do so. If you'd like to learn more about Rommy and his work, visit our show notes at talk easypod dot com for more conversations. I'd recommend our talks with Bob Odenkirk, Quinn de Brunson, Hero, Maria Abby, Jacobsen, Natasha Leone, Padma Lakshmi, Alan Ruck, and Bill Hater to hear those and more. Pushkin Podcasts listen on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, Spotify, or wherever you like to listen. You can also follow us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram at talk easypod. If you want to support talk easy by purchasing one of our mugs. They come in cream or navy or our vinyl record with writer fran Leibowitz. You can do so at talk easypod dot com slash shop. Let's talk easypod dot com slash Shop. As always, Talk Easy is produced by Caroline Reebok. Our executive producer is Janixa Bravo. Our associate producer is Caitlin Dryden. Our research and production assistant is Paulina Suarez. Today's Talk was edited by Caitlin Dryden and mixed by Andrew Vastola. Our assistant editors are Clarice Givara and c J. Mitchell. Music by Dylan Peck, illustrations by Chris Chenoy. Photographs today are by Julius Chu. Video and graphics by Ian Chang, Derek Gamberzac, Ian Jones and Ethan SINCA special thanks to Kaylin Ung. I also want to thank our team at Pushkin Industries, Justin Richmond, Julia Barton, John Snars, Kerrie Brody, David Glover, Heather Fane, Eric Sandler, Jordan McMillan, Isabella Navarrees, Tara Machado, Maya Cana, Carly Migliori, Jason Gambrel, Justine Lang, Malcolm Gladwell and Jacob Weisberg. I'm San Fragoso. Thank you for listening to Talk Easy. I hope you enjoyed our midweek episode with Arlow Parks. If you haven't checked that out yet, I'd recommend you do so. She's a fantastic young gen Z musician. I have never felt older, just saying that sentence. Anyway, I'll be back next Sunday with actor Oscar Isaac. Until then, stay safe and so long.