Speaker 1: How are you feeling we sold out the more theater in Seattle. How are you feeling like, shit got real? We're doing a live show for a lot of people.
Speaker 2: That's crazy.
Speaker 1: It's a lot of people, dude. I went to a show that had about two thousand people a concert and I was like, holy shit, this is a lot of people. Yeah, it's gonna be awesome. Now I'm nervous, I'm excited.
Speaker 2: Get me wrong to talk about.
Speaker 3: That would never happen.
Speaker 1: I think that's gonna happen.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: The only thing I was obsessing about is like, all right, so cause I'm just now I'm the second is sold out. I got anxious. I was like, oh shit, like we got to be we gotta put on a real show. And I know we're gonna put on a great show. But my brain went to, like, all right, so you come out right, they're super stoked, they're clapping, We come out, we're all super stoked, and then it's amazing, right, But then like it feels like you would then the expectation you go into some sort of like comedy routine or like a stand up and like we're gonna sit down and talk about rewatching a TV show. I know a lot of people do podcasts like live shows, but I just hope that the audience like adjust to like we're not gonna like strut around doing stand up like Eddie Murphy and Delirious Now and mc.
Speaker 3: Donald's gonna pop up at some point and do either a very dope dance.
Speaker 1: And to dance to please the crowd.
Speaker 2: I ain't no monkey man, what the doing? No people dance? Monkey dance, man?
Speaker 1: People love it when you dance. You did dance a family food.
Speaker 2: Performed a very dope dance for the audience and everyone was super entertained. I loved you for it. It was amazing.
Speaker 1: That's true.
Speaker 2: Don all I hear is oh my god, dance, monkey dance.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm sorry. I don't want you to feel that way, but people do love it when you dance. But you guys know what I'm saying right like, like we we we have to like elegantly shift from like you're so psyched to be here, We're so psyche to be here. Now we're going to sun couches and talk about a TV show like we're not like doing stand up, you know what I mean? Or am I just being like overthinking it.
Speaker 2: I think you might be overthinking it.
Speaker 1: I think everybody you and I have done Q and a's before that like that have been gone awesome and great.
Speaker 2: It's just I think that's what everybody thinks they're coming to see.
Speaker 1: Well, they are going to maybe see some of that.
Speaker 2: There might be a little conversation between us and the audience, right.
Speaker 1: What was like, No, well, of course, yeah, yeah, Daniel's going to be Phil Donahue and run into the audience with the mic, Right, Daniel, that's one of your responsibilities. Yes, sir, be out there with the little sneakers on. Daniel, maybe you should dress like Phil Donahoe.
Speaker 2: When you got off the call yesterday, I was saying, maybe Daniel could be, you know, rock the crowd, like before the show starts, to be on the turntables.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's not a bad idea, a little start. Oh would you be able to earn like Donald Donald's showing how the DJs turn around?
Speaker 2: Like how did you can?
Speaker 1: Of course? When you DJ, Daniel, do you do you? Are you one of those people that actually uses the fake turntables?
Speaker 5: I certainly can. Yeah, I mean, you know, these days you got techniques. I don't personally own techniques. But I used to teach people on techniques, So yes, I am a capable vinyl turntablist.
Speaker 2: That's what. That's what, that's what matters. All of that button button pressing is kind of cool. If you got the rhythm and stuff like that. The computer does most of it for you. But if you got skills to rocket on techniques, if you can dj jazzy Jeff that shit, you are fire for real with the turntables. I believe Danil knows how to DJ jazzy Jeff that ship. He's old school. He might look like a little baby. Just because he doesn't know what a flopping disc is doesn't mean he doesn't know how to rocket all.
Speaker 1: Kind of music. Would you DJ for alls while they're coming in? Now, that's not a bad idea. I think you're something kind of like low key but still exciting, something like the kind of like not m that'd be.
Speaker 2: Hilarious if everybody walked into straights.
Speaker 1: I don't want, but definitely some uh yeah, but definitely some like nice cool beats that people could sit down and enjoy too. Maybe some head bobbing music. Yeah, what if people were like.
Speaker 2: In the days on the Boulevard of Landen. We used to get routines and the presence was fitting. It was a good idea, abstracted me the five foot I kicked the mad style, so step off the frank foot.
Speaker 1: I think it's a good idea, Dane. Would you be open to doing that?
Speaker 5: Of course absolutely. I already got a contact in Seattle for some decks, so oh you gotta worry, all right, So then you could set up the DJ table. Yeah, yeah, I mean it would be a little you know, it depends. We could talk about this later, but like, depending on how much in front of the crowd you want me to be. Maybe I'm off to the side so that people don't see me necessarily, so it doesn't like break the immersion of Oh wait, that's DJ, Dan.
Speaker 2: I want you to be DJ. I think I want you to be like straight up marshmallow man, what name is? When you are rocking the crowd and they're just standing there with their phone like that shit is hilarious to me. I love standing bout of DJ and watching, but that ship is crazy to me that people just show up to watch a DJ press buttons. It kills me, dude, It kills me, dude.
Speaker 1: Those guys are the richest guys in music.
Speaker 2: I need to get on y'all need to teach me how to press that button properly so that I could be like these cats make is like for real, man.
Speaker 1: What's to stop someone Daniel from just doing it all on their laptop and doing it all for show and hitting play?
Speaker 5: Uh it, nothing stops them. And there's lots of very popular DJs who already do it. Really, we're not going to name it.
Speaker 2: That ship already happening.
Speaker 1: Yeah. My question is this, these guys who are making a zillion dollars doing like Vegas or whatever, you know, and flying in private jets. Sure are they Are they actually doing it live or or I know you can't speak for all of them, but are some of them just like hitting play on a fucking program? They are hundred percent.
Speaker 5: What they'll have is like imagine like a whole set and mixed onto an MP three and you go up to the CDJ, you just go bomb and then you know, you do the couple hand things every once in a while.
Speaker 2: But and it's all acting all acting like a thing that ship in the snow. They're like, yo, you know what I went and saw I could say Gangstar. I went and saw Gangstar perform DJ Premiere and Guru back in the day when I was younger, right, They performed at some spot in New York City, and Premiere is the best DJ I've ever seen in him and freaking Jazzy Jeff for the two best hit that is a spiked her excuse me sorry. Him and DJ Jazzy Jeff are two of the best DJs I have ever seen in my Like, Premiere is not doing the press the tape and just scratching over the track. He's doing everything that you heard on the record. He's doing it live, so the he's actually putting it in. He's taking the record off, putting the other beat on while while while Guru's on stage rapping. It was one of the dopest nights of my life. I was like, you know, and Guru is a dope rapper. When you go rest in Peace, you know he was a dope rapper. But Premiere, holy cow man, that's one of the best, like holy like by far one of my best experiences. And then also like you want to talk about DJs, that's the DJ dude him and Jazzy Jeff. You want to watch Jazzy Jeff right now, just look him up on YouTube right now. And also you want to talk about one more DJ, let's talk about DJ Daniel, who will be doing it at the more.
Speaker 1: You won't be doing You won't be doing the fake thing though, where you just hit play and pushing the buttons right, never have, never will. I don't want our audience to think that you are up there just pushing buttons, I mean, just faking it.
Speaker 5: Sure, there will be there will be no faking it, absolutely not, never have never will?
Speaker 2: You heard that?
Speaker 1: I think Donald and I should enter? Can you time it out so that Donald and I entered to P? I M P.
Speaker 2: Maybe? But do you want do you want to? Yeah? Do you want to enter to?
Speaker 1: I want to enter?
Speaker 2: Hold on, let me finish. Do you want to enter to the Snoop Dogg version or just the.
Speaker 1: Dunt I don't know what you heard about me look at a lackno birde and now my motherfucking p I. Can we enter it to that? Donald? You're okay with that?
Speaker 2: Do you? Do? You turn your key turned?
Speaker 1: Now? Listen if Joe, if Daniel's on STAF you want that.
Speaker 2: Ship to start off with do do do do do do do Do do do do do do?
Speaker 1: I got it? Don't Daniel, make sure you have that on your decks because we're gonna need to enter that No problem, all right? I like that plan is coming together. So Daniel, you'll DJ while the audience comes in? Sure? Now, are you gonna be distracted? If people are like d d Daniel? What's up?
Speaker 2: Can I take a picture with you?
Speaker 1: Can I take a selfie with you?
Speaker 2: From this? From here?
Speaker 5: I was gonna say, lest we forget that. That was my job for ten years before all of this. So I think I'll be okay, you got this.
Speaker 1: What if people are like Daniel's show us your jets. I mean, if they're throwing dollars, we should get a banner for Dan switch.
Speaker 2: Can we throw a twitch banner up? Or is that against?
Speaker 1: You want to tip jar?
Speaker 2: Daniel?
Speaker 1: We can have a tip jar?
Speaker 2: Remember that show It's a living and the guy with the piano at the bar, that could be you, Daniel, that's me, But you're a DJ. No tips.
Speaker 1: We don't want him to get a tip jar and no no twitch signage. He's a DJ for the show. I'll just be up there by myself with this. Will you wear a marshmallow head. No marshmallow head, But well, will you wear a funny outfit like like, well.
Speaker 2: You wear like a gold suit gold? Now?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I have like a fake Gucci jacket from the eighties, no matter that do that shit.
Speaker 1: Or any kind of onesie I feel I picture you like in a onesie. Oh wait, he's going to get the jacket.
Speaker 2: Do do do? Do do?
Speaker 1: Sorry, audience, that's coming.
Speaker 2: You heard that's a spoiler. Got this.
Speaker 1: It's like a fake Gucci Starlar jacket that I got in a flea market.
Speaker 2: Wow, amazing.
Speaker 5: It's I mean, like you know, it's obviously not real, but it is very It is very bold, and I to keep a little under bag on it so the moths don't get to it.
Speaker 1: It might it might be real, Daniel. You don't know if that's fake. You're right, I don't know.
Speaker 5: Neither did the person at the flea market who sold it to me for twenty dollars.
Speaker 1: Well, now I'm excited, all right, So we got that covered. Audience in Seattle, you're in for a treat. You're gonna see DG. Daniel do his thing. And I'm sorry it's a spoiler, but we're going to enter to the I m P.
Speaker 2: We might switch it up.
Speaker 1: No, I love it.
Speaker 2: We can't I jam that's your jam. Jam.
Speaker 1: Well we can if we do more shows, we can. But can we agree that for Seattle we're going to enter to that.
Speaker 2: He has already been turned bro. I just feel like.
Speaker 1: I just feel like I just feel like we both would feel nice entering to that. There's lots of secrets that are happening, and we're gonna make it fun. There's lots of secrets that are.
Speaker 2: All the spoiler uh channels out there to try and spoil our show.
Speaker 1: No, don't spoil our show. Just try try and figure Daniel and Joelle. Have you done a live podcast show before.
Speaker 3: H in.
Speaker 1: On stage at the studio? No? No, But I've.
Speaker 2: Helped produce and oversee the production of one. Are you gonna rock some Fly? Everybody gonna rock fly snakers for this?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I got a dope sneaker.
Speaker 2: Right, everybody got your sneak a game ready for this?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I'm deciding. I'm deciding which ones now? Okay, now, now people are going to film? What if people is like the custom just like a concert that they're going to video the whole thing. Should we be expecting that? I think so.
Speaker 5: I think people making things like TikTok and Instagram content should be expected.
Speaker 1: Right Because I went to see a concert, the same concert with the two thousand people, and I would say like forty percent of the audience had their phones up the whole time.
Speaker 5: I don't think I need to worry about that, but there will be people who, like I think, when certain things happen, don you got to use phones?
Speaker 1: Because we can't. We can't say Dan cut that.
Speaker 2: Oh, I know, I'm well aware, I'm well aware.
Speaker 1: I'm well okay, Daniel, will you make one of my buttons on these things? Me saying Daniel cut that. Yes, Dan't cut that, Daniel cut. I'm laying down some tracks for you right now. Dan cut that. So audience, For those of you who don't know, we often, very often Donald and I say to each other or to Daniel, Daniel cut that, because because one of us has said something that's probably not great to be.
Speaker 2: All you got to do is just look at Joel's face, and Joel Joel's face.
Speaker 1: Is like, yeah, that's the Dane cut that face. Now, Donald, will you be high as a kite, during the live show.
Speaker 2: Not about not as a kite. Maybe they had a right.
Speaker 1: They have.
Speaker 2: Light when you send the flying up there.
Speaker 1: Donald, do you have any concern about being too high for the live show? You know, like when you're smoking, will you be modulating? Will you be going hmmm, it is a live show. Maybe I'm good for now.
Speaker 2: You know. I think I've reached my limit. I don't think i can get much higher.
Speaker 4: Girl.
Speaker 1: We couldn't get much higher so much like Morrison, So you couldn't get like I.
Speaker 2: Could smoke it like it's cigarettes now, like it's like, you know, I think it's an oral fixation. Now it's not necessarily a it's not necessarily I enjoy the feeling of marijuana. I think I like the feeling of smoke hitting my lungs. I think that's what I like. Now, you know what I mean? It's crazy, man, It's crazy how because then after because when you know it's crazy? The the the thoughts of a stoner are I mean, they make movies about it.
Speaker 1: They do. It's a very common joke, a stoner and his thinking process.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very unique.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, we have a very exciting guest for this episode. It worked out so that we could get Kate magoucci. That's how you say it, rightchi Man, I think it's magucci mccouchie. I think it's with a C, isn't Isn't it Kate McCabe. Her nickname was Gooch, so I always thought it was Magucci.
Speaker 2: No, never gonna have a character on the show. I thought we're.
Speaker 1: Gonna ask her. You think it's mccouchie Dale, Yes, all right, we're gonna ask her. She played the Gooch on the show, as you all know, and she I think this is her first episode. Am I right, Joelle?
Speaker 2: This is her first episode? Yes, she's actually not only is she amazing ukulele player, she's a very good actress and a very funny actress. She did a movie a long time ago, well not a long time ago, I could, I guess right around Pandemic her Aubrey Plaza and Dave Franco and Alison Bray like they've they've made this movie and it's pretty funny, and she's in it, and she's very funny in it. She's very talented. So I'm really excited that she's on the show.
Speaker 1: All right, Should we count in and invite her in for the whole show.
Speaker 4: St stories. I'm not sure we made about a bunch of talks and nurses, he.
Speaker 2: Said, he's the stories nets.
Speaker 4: No, so YadA, rab here, YadA, rad here.
Speaker 3: Hellolo.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how are you?
Speaker 3: I'm good. How are you doing?
Speaker 1: We're so happy you're here.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, me too. I was like looking forward to this so much, and even when I just saw you know, when you originally started this, I was like, oh, I hope I get to do it when they get to my episode. So thank you.
Speaker 1: Oh you're so sweet. We were just talking about how talented you were before we invited you onto the program.
Speaker 2: What was that movie that you did with with Alison Brie and Dave Franco and Aubrey.
Speaker 3: Plaza, The Little Hours.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that ship was funny as hell. Man, you guys were crazy in that movie.
Speaker 3: Yes, I'm super crazy, all of us. That was such a fun thank you, thank you. Yeah, that was such a fun, crazy movie.
Speaker 1: Go ahead. I'm just surprised Donald watched the movie that wasn't about Star Wars.
Speaker 3: So Zach congrat's on your movie. Oh my god, God, just tear my heart out. And I love trains too. I was like oh, I love trains, And then I was like, if you.
Speaker 1: Like trains and having your heart broken? Yes, Chris, Wait, Kate, I want to make sure i'm pronouncing You're right. Will you pronounced your last name for us?
Speaker 3: Mccuchi? I always say, Yeahci.
Speaker 1: It's funny because I've made up in my head that it was maguci, which I know the spelling doesn't match up, but I think that's just because we called you the gucha on Scrubs.
Speaker 3: Yes, that would, I mean it makes sense real.
Speaker 2: Quick, ladies and gentlemen, okay, Gucci.
Speaker 3: Yes, Mkuchi, Yes, macuchie, thank you.
Speaker 1: I think I just had a brain fart because we called you the gooch. I was like, I know it's this is spelled with the sea, but maybe bizarrely or someone calls it macgucci, but that is not correct. It's mccucci.
Speaker 3: It is mkuchie. In fact, I was, I was in New York like a month ago. Oh are we is this like officially are we recording or want.
Speaker 1: To make sure? Okay you are recording right?
Speaker 3: Okay? Yea, I am on my end. I hope it's I hope the levels are good. I think they are. I think you can go a.
Speaker 1: Little a little louder, a little bit louder for just for me, not for you, maybe only only if it looks good on your side, and it's not.
Speaker 3: It's still yeah, it's not getting blown out or anything.
Speaker 1: I think it's kas Donald is in a big echoe chamber.
Speaker 3: So also too, I don't have the best setup I should have.
Speaker 2: Looks like you have a great set up than I do.
Speaker 1: I think you have a fancier microphone than I do. And you also have one of those spit guards that they had on the We Are the World video. Donald, we don't have spit guards.
Speaker 2: I'm a spit guard.
Speaker 1: Oh d have a spit guard. I think we give you a spitcar. It comes a time when we eat a certain call. That was the first time I ever saw a spit guard. And I didn't need a spit I didn't know what a spit card was. And I saw that We Are in the World.
Speaker 2: Everybody wanted one after that.
Speaker 3: I just remember watching that as a kid and feeling really bad for Cindy Lauper because she had all of this jewelry on and they were like, Cindy, can you please take off your jewelry and she's like, oh, yes, sorry about that, and he's just like, I remember being a little kid, feeling really sad for her that she had to take off her jewelry.
Speaker 2: That's just hilarious to go ahead and say it.
Speaker 1: Well, Donald and Donald and I've been sending these videos back and forth. I don't know if you've seen them on Instagram, but it's like, it's like footage I never saw before, Michael Jackson reacting to people being off key because he wrote the song right with.
Speaker 3: With Jones, right, okay, yeah and.
Speaker 1: Quincy Jones right, and so when some people weren't quite hitting the note, there's video of Michael like win sing like or.
Speaker 2: Just given a really evil look like man, you right now.
Speaker 3: There was no auto tune back then.
Speaker 2: No, No, that's when they could really sing. Yeah.
Speaker 1: But was that your first time ever seeing his spitguard, Kate.
Speaker 3: You know, I don't remember this bitguard. But I've always I've always really been interested in any kind of footage of recording studios, like whenever they show like behind the scenes of a Disney movie, like that to me was just the magical part of it. So I love that I get to be in record well these days. Are different. But before before COVID, I was in a lot of recording studios.
Speaker 1: But the funny thing about whenever you see behind the scenes footage of I'm going have to ruin this forever the audience. Whenever you see behind the scenes footage of someone recording their part in an animated.
Speaker 2: Movie, that's that's that's it's that's not the footage.
Speaker 1: Yeah, staged because they because the camera crew there was no lighting in the darkly lit recording studio, and a camera crew while you're actually recording. But then there's like a press day, so they like light up a beautiful microphone and there'll.
Speaker 2: Nobody be showing up to freaking stand in a booth look at all fresh and clean.
Speaker 1: Like that exactly, and you have hair and makeup. You have like hair and makeup, and like it's lit beautifully, and a lot of times people aren't even wearing headphones. And I'm always like, oh, most people don't know that that's not the real then really doing.
Speaker 3: It but anywhere magic, No, It's it's very true.
Speaker 1: Do you do a lot of voice over and sound work? You have such a unique voice.
Speaker 3: Oh thanks, Yeah, I do. I do a lot of voiceover I've been Velma in Scooby Doo since twenty forty and I want to see oh awesome and ductails and a bunch of yeah jinkies according to my calculations. But I also and I and I record a lot of music, so I have spent a lot of time in studios. But I just love recording studios.
Speaker 2: The last time I saw you actually was at Comic Con. I was getting off of and I was lost on an elevator. We were passing and you were with the Ducktails crew, You, Bobby Moynehan, you all were all together hanging out.
Speaker 3: Yes, we were like two ships. I was like hi and You're like hi, and then that was it.
Speaker 2: It was very that was it, and that was it. Yeah. Out with the Disney Press people, man, they really take care.
Speaker 3: Of you, they really.
Speaker 2: Do you think I'm joking when I say this, I mean this with.
Speaker 3: Much is tough, and sometimes you know, like you know, at least the Disney people you get food and water. Yes, it's a true it's a brutal. It's like a marathon. But anyway, it's good to see all of you and nice to meet you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's Joelle and Daniel.
Speaker 3: Hi, Hi, Nice to meet you, Danel, Nice to meet you.
Speaker 1: Daniel's gonna we're doing our first live show and before you on the tenth in Seattle, and before you came on, we decided, as in a sort of open production meeting for the audience, that Daniel was going to be the DJ as the audience comes in to the venue.
Speaker 3: Indeed, and are you going to be playing songs from the show?
Speaker 1: I miss that's a good question. No, I think that is a good question.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Also, we're doing the musical episode. But if you remixed some of the musical like.
Speaker 2: With that's just too much work, dude, Oh, turntables, you're talking on.
Speaker 1: The turntables, Dane. Here's a question.
Speaker 2: Just find a find a tempo.
Speaker 1: Yeah, here's my question. Yes, exactly could you do that with one of the songs from the musical everything? Maybe you know what? Yes?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 1: Donald Donald?
Speaker 2: Where there is tom or?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Daniel, could you do that? Well? Maybe I'll surprise you guys a couple of haunted. Yeah, I pretend this this wood Tang Forever track is is everything comes down to Pooh? Could you do this to it?
Speaker 2: Woo Tang Forever?
Speaker 1: Could you do that?
Speaker 2: All?
Speaker 1: Right, we need you to do that. That's a great idea, Kate, thank you you inspired that.
Speaker 3: Oh well, I mean, hey, I do what I can.
Speaker 1: I appreciate it. You're so funny in this uhh, and so sweet and and I love the song so charming. You're very charming though. How did let's just go back to the beginning. How did Bill find you? I know that you have a band, right called garfunkln Oates. Yes, yeah, So tell us about how Bill came across you.
Speaker 3: It was kind of the serendipitous thing that happened because I had auditioned to play you know, they were getting new interns on the show and I originally auditioned for that and in the room, if I remember this correctly, Bill had said to me, like, I want to write a part for you that's not one of the interns. And usually when you hear something like that, you think, oh, well, that's that's nice. But you know, okay, that's nice to meet you. Thanks for you know. But the truth is he's such a good dude and a man of his word. And then I got a call that he had written this part because he had seen I had at the time had uploaded a couple of different ukuleles songs on YouTube. It was like the very early days of YouTube. And then at the same time, my friend Ricky Lindhom and I had started this duo called Garfunk l Notes where I play the ukulelean she plays the guitar, and it just was one of those things where she had put up a couple of the videos on YouTube. Truly, I didn't know, like she was like, I just want my family to see what we've written, so I'm uploading it on this site. Like this was such early days, and then I was like, oh, no, people are watching our songs. I was like almost embarrassed. But then all of a sudden people seem to like those songs, and one of them being the song that Bill saw which can we swear on this show?
Speaker 2: Yes, as much as you.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately it's Donald and I occasionally.
Speaker 2: Get to talk about smoking weed on this ship.
Speaker 1: That's the least of the ship you talk about. You're right, we goe about their intimate experience.
Speaker 2: All that stuff is no.
Speaker 1: Censor needed, way more context.
Speaker 2: And then if you do go too far, there's always the hey, Daniel cut that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can always say as we do. Dane cut that right.
Speaker 3: Well, I don't think I'll go too far, but I will say that the song is called fuck you, but it's a it's a happy fuck you. It's a it's not like a mean fuck you. It's like fuck you, but it's uh. Rick Ricky and I had written this song. This is even prior to us having a duo. We just wrote this for a musical. She was making a film, a short film, and so we had that on YouTube and then people started seeing it and then Bill, I guess maybe I don't know how he found Maybe when I had auditioned, he had looked me up or somebody had and he so when they came back and they said, you know, there's this part that of the ukulele girl on the show You're gonna be Ted's love interest. Can we use one of your songs from this YouTube video and or you know, from from fuck you know the song fucky is what I'm saying. And and so I was like, let me call Ricky. I think that would be really cool. And so I tried to get Ricky. She was like in Spain and this is like, you know, it was a lot harder to like get a hold of someone back then even so I remember like calling trying to figure out if we could use the song, and then when I got ahold of her, she was like, that's so cool, Yes, use it. So then we we ended up having to figure out a different word for five, which I usually.
Speaker 2: Were at this time, so it became screw you right.
Speaker 3: Yes, But yesterday I was like, wait, there's an email and I found it? Can I share it with you?
Speaker 2: Absolutely from July.
Speaker 3: Of two thousand and eight, and it's uh, basically options that ABC that the show had sent to ABC, And for some reason in my brain it was like a laundry list of options. It's not. It's just a few, but I'll give you those. So it says, would any of these below phrases be acceptable as an alt for fuck? The phrase would I want to? Then says blank you, So screw was the first option. Then bang, doink sex and nail sex sex you.
Speaker 1: I want to do funny too.
Speaker 3: It's pretty funny.
Speaker 1: I think screw is by far the best choice.
Speaker 3: It's one of the clearer ones.
Speaker 2: I think, Yeah, there's nothing more clearer than sex. Unique.
Speaker 3: You're right, You're right.
Speaker 1: You know what's so unique about it is you play the character. Seems like she was such a sweet, innocent and of course we should give love to the late Sam Lloyd. You two had such a beautiful chemistry.
Speaker 3: Together, you know, watching it it was he I just loved him and I uh watching it rewatching the show last night, I hadn't seen it since it, you know, aired in two thousand and eight or nine, and it was it was really bittersweet, just thinking like we really did have a good chemistry for sure. He was so much fun. And the guys in the Blanks are so great. I got to know them a bit. To the Blanks. They I was doing a live show at the Steve Allen Theater here in LA and they were guests on my show, and they were they were just so fun. I actually have a funny story. I remember that Sam told me about their their band or is it a band, it's a it's a.
Speaker 1: A cappella group, an a cappella.
Speaker 3: Group, and they were hired to play at a wedding and the wedding song was God Only Knows and the end of the song with I may not Always love you, and they realized, like I kind of held it and they realized that is not a good way to end a song at a wedding.
Speaker 1: That's really funny. But you just had a really wonderful chemistry. And I remember thinking on set like that, I could see you guys really just clicked and got along well and had your own you know, just connection and inside jokes. I remember I remember thinking that.
Speaker 3: I think I remember being like, this was my first kind of really big like being on a show that was successful. This was a very big deal for me, and so I just remember being like almost like I didn't even know what I was getting myself into, you know, like it was just like, oh, what what am I doing here? I was I was so new and so green. So yeah, watching it last night, I was like, oh, hey, for for being so new, I did okay, great.
Speaker 1: I just rewatched it as we always do, and I I couldn't. I wouldn't have guessed that it was your first big job. I thought you were wonderful.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 2: I mean, it was, it's it's it's it's really interesting how the season is turning out, also compared to the other ones, because this is the dynamic shift. We have moved to ABC, We're no longer on NBC and stuff like that, and you know, you and h the Gucca and Ted's relationship was just it's it's new, but it's also showing a different side of Ted which nobody has seen before, which was really amazing, you know what I mean. He's charming, he's smiling, he's happy, and you've never like you've seen it as a joke with him, like cheering, you know what I mean, But you never see him just like smitten and just you know, filled with joy and spirit. He's always the down guy, and it was just such a you know, everything is shifting, and it was just such a great shift because the other tones so far, you know, I feel like NBC is I mean ABC and NBC. The comparison is a little too wholesome on ABC. But this is one that I embrace, Like this is one of those things that's like it just feels right like you, it feels fresh and new, and that's what the show is needing at this point. Ah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I you know, he is such a charming like and just to see him a kind of smitten with this character and also that giant pratfall that he did, I mean, there's so many funny moments in this. Yeah, he's such a talented talented guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what a great physical comedian, Like you're really he did so much funny shit and he did all of it. I mean, you know, I'm sure he occasionally must have had a double, but like I remember him being really adept at physical comedy and.
Speaker 2: Trying to tell you he was so athletic. He was so athletic. Yeah, he would bush ass and basketball like for real, for real, he was very athletic. He had great footwork, he was fast. Anybody who's ever played a sport with him, you'd be like, wow, holy shit, dude, you're like he was incredible. Yeah. Wow.
Speaker 1: All right, Well let's get into the episode. Guys. It's an elite.
Speaker 2: Dep Forwardam wrote it, directed by Mark Stegman.
Speaker 1: There is unfortunately no Donald or Sarah, which is bizarre. You know how I feel about no Donald episode.
Speaker 2: Well, you know what, Usually I'm like, I don't want to watch this episode. I don't like this episode, but this episode turned out to be so good that.
Speaker 1: Well, I hope, I hope we're done with the noo Donald's episodes because I don't like them.
Speaker 2: It's so nice, but you're so full of shit. No, I mean it, I mean I don't like this episode.
Speaker 1: I laughed a lot, mostly because of Kate and Sam being adorable together. But I do feel that when you take Donald and Sarah Chalk out of the episode, it's a big hit.
Speaker 3: I have a question what was what was happening. Was it something that like they were just trying to get as many it was money.
Speaker 1: I think what they did was they tried to get the budget of the show down, and so they told all of us that we were going to miss X amount of episodes a season.
Speaker 2: This is coming right, this is coming back after the strike and everything like that. Yes, whether we were going to and we had moved and everything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was a you know, we were just hanging on. We didn't even know if you know, we didn't know if that this is.
Speaker 2: The last People don't know this, but every year, every year, we were just hanging on. Every year Bill always found a way.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Bill did always find a way. And in two thousand and eight, this is the last strike that happened. The Right Writers Guild strike really shortened our previous season and pretty much we thought we were done. NBC told us we were done, and then ABC ped us up. So I think in picking us up, they said we want to find some ways to make the show for cheaper, and they came up with this bizarre scheme.
Speaker 2: Well, salaries changed and everything, like so many things, so many things happened.
Speaker 1: But anyway, so when the show opens with Sam saying, Peon's assemble and they all come together.
Speaker 2: They're always around.
Speaker 1: He has to them always around, right.
Speaker 2: Donald they're near. There is superpower. We learned that later that there is superpower.
Speaker 1: But he has confidence when he's looking like the badass that he is. When he's singing with his group. Everyone feels a greater self esteem when they're in their element doing the thing that they that they're great at. And he's a great singer.
Speaker 2: And he's the leader of this band. He's the leader of this group.
Speaker 1: Now he wants to sing in pediatrics and he's pitching to sing Seasons Don't Fear the Reaper, which is not really the best song for pediatrics, and but they do sound right right, So.
Speaker 2: With an early montage, early montage right at the start of the show, right in the cold open.
Speaker 1: Right, that's right in the cold open. And also the band does the sting out of the of the cold open, so it usually goes, I can't do this, So I believe the band does an acapella version of like that, right, don't they do?
Speaker 2: Like huge? But that's it, Yeah, it doesn't. Do You remember when Family Ties used to change like the song every year. It would always be the same song, but it would be a different version of it.
Speaker 1: Oh, I don't remember that.
Speaker 2: A Different World used to do that too.
Speaker 1: They were a different credit sequence, but they changed the song.
Speaker 2: It would be the same song, but a different version of the song. I believe, so maybe it was a different credit sequence, and maybe that's what I remember. In the Different World.
Speaker 1: We tried to change our credit sequence once and the fans that did not go well. Fans were like, no way, fuck that new credit sequeence, do get that ship out. The whole idea was to add Neil because Neil had become a regular, right and.
Speaker 2: That we know he's a regular. We don't care these.
Speaker 1: You know, fans are very loyal to certain things, and they definitely did not want their beloved credit sequence being fucked with. So we see the beautiful Kate.
Speaker 2: Kuchie she Yep being introduced.
Speaker 1: She's singing a lovely song to the kids and pediatrics, way more appropriate than fear the reaper. Do you remember shooting your first uh, that scene?
Speaker 3: I remember shooting that. And that's a little song I wrote. I used to babysit a ton and it was one of the first songs I ever wrote on ukulele, called Mister Moon. I was so flattered that they wanted to use so many of my songs, and in later episodes I even wrote like specifically for the episode, but like yeah, I remember being like, yeah, mister Moon would be a great song for the kids. And I still play. I just played it the other day at the Bob Baker Mariy and Net Theater. It's one, it's a it's an old stand by. At this point, you can you play a little bit of it? Oh you want to hear mister Moon, just a little bit?
Speaker 1: You have to play the whole song, Just give us a little song.
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 3: Well, oh look how funny I have my nikolele.
Speaker 1: It was like she audience, She pulled it like someone might pull an arrow out of a quiver off of her back.
Speaker 3: Okay, here's a little bit of mister Moon.
Speaker 1: All right. Great.
Speaker 3: One day the moon got tired of be him up in the sky. He wandered down through the starlight and landed on the ocean side, and he smiled while he jumped in the water and laughed about as he danced in the sand. He pull it on his swim trunks and snorkel and guess what, mister moon swam.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, yes, I love.
Speaker 2: You.
Speaker 1: I love it when you sing. It's just seeing you do it is so cute too, because you like switch into a little like ukulele mode. It's so cuy.
Speaker 3: It's so funny that I just, I mean, it's crazy to me that the ukulele was just something I kind of like picked up for fun and then I didn't never I never thought it would be the thing I was like always playing. But were you always thinking, oh my gosh, no, I like, I actually don't think of myself like I'm not a great sor.
Speaker 1: I'm a range voice. It's very unique too. I think the combination of the ukulele and your voice and and of course they wanted to use your songs because they're funny and they're clever, and they were never going to write something as perfect as and and and bespoke for you as you could do.
Speaker 3: You know, Yeah, thank thank you. I think here's a fun ukulele fact In two thousand and eight, the sale of the ukulele went up three hundred percent.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, because to right, I wonder, what do you think it was you on scrubs.
Speaker 3: I mean I don't think. I think you know, maybe I helped that by five percent.
Speaker 1: Under that we also used what was the name of the is? It wasn't there a famous ukuile player? A Hawaiian guy? Did he play ukulele?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: Brother is is?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: That was a big deal for sure for the ukulele.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I remember that. I think we used one of his songs.
Speaker 3: Somewhere over the Rainbow. He had that version.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well it was. It's not his song, but it's his cover.
Speaker 1: That Yes, actually, with Sam's band we had do a Ted's band did a cover of his version. Yeah, okay. So Cox has taught his son to call j D's baby ugly. So that's new.
Speaker 2: For those of you who have kids. That's not a great moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not a good moment. Basically, one of the main things of this story of this episode is that Cox is so busy, but he's trying to do it all. He's he's trying to be the chief medicine. He's trying to give his favorite patients bedside attention. He's trying to be a father.
Speaker 2: Are you a do it all kind of guy?
Speaker 1: Zach, Well, I don't have a full family and I don't work out.
Speaker 2: Let's take the family part out, and let's take the nine to five out. Are you a do it all kind of guy? I'm gonna say.
Speaker 1: Yes, I think so, because you know, well, all I can point to is when I make my projects, I definitely try and do as much of it as possible because it's so important to me.
Speaker 2: I want to dude, you can do it all the way down to the soundtrack, bro, all the way down to the soundtrack, BRO, thank you.
Speaker 1: I wish I could play the ukulele. Actually I played the ukulele only one song I learned to play, and when I was in Bullets over Broadway, I my entrance into the play was rising through the stage on a on a on a faint roof, playing playing the ukulele.
Speaker 3: What was the song?
Speaker 1: Love makes Me treat You the way that I do? G Baby ain't not good to you? There's nothing to the girl it is too Gee, baby ain't a good do you know?
Speaker 2: Standing quickly that shit goes away from you.
Speaker 1: I forgot the word, but I used to know the chords on the yuke and everything, and it was.
Speaker 3: Would you rise through the stage? Is that what it was? That was your interest?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: It was like a very big, large budget Broadway show. They had these lifts. They had these lifts, multiple lifts that would come up, and so it was pretty cool. It was a full twenty seven piece orchestra, and and my ukulele was miked along with myself obviously, and I would me and Betsy Wolf, amazing Broadway singer rose on this set piece that was made to look like a New York City rooftop, and we rose singing that song. Yeah cool.
Speaker 3: So can I ask? I'm just like a I love the theater. What was your thought like when you're like sitting on that roof waiting for it to be like so nervous.
Speaker 1: No one's ever asked me that question. I'll tell you something. Betsy and I she got mad at me one time, because Betsy Wolf is the kind of person that will show up Basically these little light Nabi's que lights, right, and when the que light would go on, that would mean like stand by, the lift's going to move. And then when we go off, the lift's about to rise, and Betsy's the kind of person that I would go down there for the whole opening scene because it was the second scene and just kind of pace nervously underneath the stage and talk to the stage hands and shoot the ship just to be there. Betsy's the kind of person that would show up the second the light lit up, meaning like the lift's about to go up, and so often I was so anxious because I was like, where is she. Oh, she's gonna miss the cue. Oh boy, oh boy, oh where is she? But it's nerve wracking. And then you so you got you get a position, and then the thing starts to move, and then you go up and it just reveals three thousand people standing there. It's pretty crazy.
Speaker 3: That is so I love. It's so fun to think about, And yeah, I would be I'd be so scared.
Speaker 1: I was nervous. I think if it was the beginning of the show, it would have been less nerve wracking. But because it was the second scene, you had a whole first scene to be like pacing about, right, But it was pretty cool if I never do another.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Also, you had to play the ukulele, so there was that too.
Speaker 1: So I think they I think that I did the best I could. I think they had a guy doubling me in the.
Speaker 2: Pretty sure they had a guitar under you like this.
Speaker 1: I think it was probably No, I'm sure. I'm sure it was a guitar player in the band that was on you just doubling me to make it sound better, because I certainly wasn't going to hit every note right every time.
Speaker 2: The show.
Speaker 1: They probably turned the volume on my on mind down to zero and put his on tens. The way you can listen to the song. By the way, it's if you if you go in Spotify where you listen to music the Bullets over Broadway.
Speaker 2: That was your shot, and then he got right there. All that shit had to do was win the fucking award for Best Revival Original Player. Oh so best Original That's all I had to do. That was your shot. That was your he got shot the music.
Speaker 1: I hope to do another Broadway show, so maybe I'll have another chance that the t and he got.
Speaker 2: But no, because if it's a record, listen, this is why it's dope. If it's a record and it wins for brought, well you already got the no I already got the Grammy. You already got the Grammy.
Speaker 1: But anyway, long wind way of saying that, if you're curious about this song, you can go on and look at the Bullets Over Broadway original cast album and you can find the song love makes Me Treat You. I think it's called g Baby. Ain't I good to you? All Right, we're gonna say a quick break and we'll come back right after these fine words.
Speaker 2: Fuck your sound effects machine.
Speaker 1: We're back, all right. So we learned that Jordan takes naps from eleven thirty to three. That's some new information.
Speaker 2: I appreciate that. Yeah, in my old age, in my I'm not my old age. I take that back. I'm not old, but am I? As I get older?
Speaker 1: Can you take a midday nap and then snap back?
Speaker 2: If you smoke enough weed? You can't?
Speaker 1: Okay, what if you don't smoke weed.
Speaker 2: If you don't smoke weed, I'm gonna have a hard time doing that.
Speaker 1: No, I just find I do like an occasional midday nap, but it's hard to bounce back sometimes.
Speaker 2: You mean when you wake up, you know, like acting like right after you wake in up from a nap.
Speaker 1: Well on scrubs because the hours were so cuckoo. I would definitely we would Donald and I would both take naps and then we drink red bulls to get our energy up.
Speaker 2: No, but I like the field now, I would say, I remember early on in my career and sitting on set and waiting. I like the feeling of falling asleep in my trailer and waking up and going directly Donald, they're ready for you, and going directly to set. Just like not thinking about anything, not overthinking anything, and going right to set and going to work. I really I felt really early on. I felt really creative about that. And so when you talked about naps and how you needed, how you felt groggy and everything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, on sets, I definitely definitely sometimes take a lunchtime nap just because you're so groggy. But then I always have to pound a red bull to snap to do CPR to my brain to get back in the game. Okay, So, well, before we get to disease, Kelso brings Cox a latte. They have a secret friendship.
Speaker 2: Now, but everybody knows about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, everyone seems to know about it. We learned that Harrison Kelso's son, Harrison has a new life partner, Caleb, and he's just opened a boutique on Fire Island called Everything Mesh.
Speaker 3: It's such a good line.
Speaker 1: Everything Mesh is pretty funny on Fire Island. On fire I'm in a history called everything Mesh on Fireland would do pretty well.
Speaker 2: Fire Island is one of the most popular islands in the history of islands, dude, like.
Speaker 1: In the history of islands.
Speaker 2: Like, think about it. It's it's in everything. Everybody knows about Fire Island.
Speaker 1: Everybody is very as I understand it. I've never been to Fireland, but it's a very lot of very popular with the gay community. It's a place to go where there's a big gay sea. We don't have Jowell in here to weigh in as our as our gay ambassador. You are correct, though, as our ambassador. Yes, but that's why Harrison has a shop there Donald called just Mesh Everything Mash.
Speaker 2: Yes, I know this.
Speaker 1: We meet Craig, who is JD's patient who has down syndrome, and uh, he's one of Johnny's c doctor Cox's favorite patients, and JD is looking after him. But Cox really wants to be there because he loves this young man and he wants to, you know, he doesn't want to let any of his beloved patients down. He's really struggling. Craig wants a root beer, so JD goes to get a root beer. There's only two left, and the janitor has licked uh the root beer can.
Speaker 2: He's probably licked both of them.
Speaker 1: To be honest with you, Yes, he definitely licked both of them. And then we learned that he also licked JD's cell phone.
Speaker 2: Why.
Speaker 1: I think he just hates JD so anything. He although this.
Speaker 2: Later there's a team up though, the first team up ever.
Speaker 1: Well, they both share a common love of Ted, and I think they both see that Ted finally likes a woman. Ted's finally going to have a chance some some tiny bit of happiness, and that they're going to team up, which is bizarre because I don't think it's the first ever in eight seasons.
Speaker 2: What is.
Speaker 1: Scrubs wiki. I don't think he spoke directly. I looked. I don't think he says anything specifically about the team up. Oh, it is a it is a reference. Ted mentions that ukulele players are usually heavy Hawaiians. This is a real likely a reference to Israel and I don't know how to say his last name.
Speaker 3: I don't know either.
Speaker 1: Didn't you think it's nice?
Speaker 2: Have you guys been watching Dance Moms? No?
Speaker 1: Why would any of us watch Dance Moms?
Speaker 2: What is it? Dance Moms?
Speaker 3: Dance Moms?
Speaker 2: No, go back and watch it. Oh my god, it's the best showing.
Speaker 1: There's so much good TV. And Donald's watching Dance Moms.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yo, I'm tasting right now. The mom's on this show. You think. Look, we all know about because we're all in entertainment industry. You know about mamagers. You know about I used to go on auditions and see kids with their moms and their moms giving them the ultimate pep talk of you know, you better nail this ship or you don't eat type stuff. I've seen it. Watch Dance Moms. They trump all of that, They trump it all. I think that's the rewatch podcast. After we finished, it's definitely I.
Speaker 1: Think that's the red don't worry, don't worry, audience, it's definitely all right. So Ted chickens out and hits his head in glorious fashion, and he's riding his bike home and he says, cherish the paint. Heed it means you're still alive. The janitor, as we said, decides to team up with JD. We learned that JD was fooled by Cocks and flew to the Ozarks for a spontaneous water ski getaway. And when he's asked was he there, he said he was not there, nor was his legs near, nor was his leg side cabin. JD really falls for anything.
Speaker 2: That isn't that how the show opens up with him going to.
Speaker 1: Oh and j D also says that there had also been talk of a tire swing. What do you mean how the show opens up?
Speaker 2: Isn't there something where he tries to trick him where he tricks him into going back outside and knocking and he knocks on the door.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, and he gets locked locked out? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Why is the gooch holding a banana? Away?
Speaker 1: Very very inappropriate introduction. Wow, hey, do you remember on the day thinking, really, guys a banana?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: I don't remember that, but I totally that it caught me by surprise. There were two things that caught me by surprise yesterday when I was rewatching it. That and then the last scene, which I guess we'll get to. But but yeah, the banana was a really funny choice.
Speaker 1: I just loved that someone was like, what if she's holding a banana, and like, it's like so so obviously suggested, like the most blatant.
Speaker 3: I had a friend that said it's so embarrassing to eat a banana in public, and I thought, that's so funny.
Speaker 1: That's true.
Speaker 2: I agree on how you eat a banana tells a lot about you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Donald, when you eat a banana, do you.
Speaker 2: I break that shit off? I break you break it off, I break it off, throw it a tall grass. No, Illi, listen, I'm not bananas. Actually, I'm not afraid to eat a banana. Bananas.
Speaker 1: I love when you when you do eat a banana, either in public or private. Have you ever just seen how much of it you can get down before you gag?
Speaker 2: Absolutely?
Speaker 1: I had to Yeah a second, Kate, I'm sorry you had to hear this. I'm sorry, I'm just curious.
Speaker 2: I'm just nervous because if it breaks, do you die?
Speaker 1: Like swallow it?
Speaker 2: Hole?
Speaker 1: Donald? You don't want to swallow it, well, you can choke on it. As a child, I tried to swallow a grapehole and I remember thinking I'm going to die.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, I remember I put a freaking what you might call it a popcorn, uh seed, Colonel, Yeah, No. I put it up there, thinking, oh, this looks like it's a nice cozy place, and I couldn't get it out. Couldn't get it out.
Speaker 1: Get it out.
Speaker 3: What happened is my uncle came.
Speaker 2: And took that ship out. My uncle came and freaking found a way to pop that thing out.
Speaker 1: I would have gotten a vacuum. Oh man, Cox finally sits head down enough with his laziness. Now spoiler alert, they had to fire Asease because he had been cast in Parks and wreck So this gave them a good reason and a good storyline to tee up that. You know what, if you don't perform, there is a point where you get fired and diseases well character ed is so not present and lazy and basically it was a.
Speaker 2: Complete switch though from what his character was before. His character might might have been lazy, but his character was adequate and efficient and now, all of a sudden, out of nowhere, this dude's freaking online with his buddies playing trivial games, right instead of learning how to save people?
Speaker 1: Right? That is right, Donald, And it was initially that he's so smart he doesn't even need to study. And now Cox is like, you don't know the answers sit here and memorize this book on hearts. That is a tweak anyway, he had to go, But I think it's good. They showed that you can be fired if you're a shitty doctor and don't show up and don't don't hold your own.
Speaker 2: It takes a lot for somebody to fire you. And then also look at least it took a lot for to fire people. He didn't like to do it.
Speaker 1: No, he didn't love firing people. No one likes firing people. But you got to be careful that people that aren't good are stuck doing their jobs.
Speaker 2: If well as these was great, and it was, it was just amazing.
Speaker 1: These would have been on a long time, I bet. But uh, he got parks and rec so we Oh. This is a famous meme I've seen so many times about Ted when someone says we found you in the park throwing rocks at old couples, and he says, why should they be happy?
Speaker 2: This is the whole episode where the janitor talks about the duck.
Speaker 1: Yes, this is one of Bill's.
Speaker 3: Favorite jah that is such an amazing I watched it twice. I had to rewind it. It was so good.
Speaker 1: Neil made that all up, obviously. I just saw Bill last night and he I told him that we were doing this episode, and he just started cracking up and going into the whole improv that Neil came up with about fighting the duck.
Speaker 3: I can't believe that was an improv.
Speaker 2: That's increat.
Speaker 1: He totally made it up on the spot. Wow, and he's fighting a duck. I think that I forgot if it made the show or not. But when Bill did it, he was saying that He says, we both took our shirts off, as if to say the duck was wearing a shirt shirt. Yeah, wow, And yeah, so that's just crazy Neil being being uh funny. But that's that's definitely in this episode too. We also learned the janitor makes something called jum which is jump and tonic, which is jin ram and tonic. And then he says to he says to Ted, he's like him alcohol.
Speaker 2: He's like, it's not alcohol, it's a breakfast liquor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right. And then he says his advice is give give of her a present that you made my first day with lady, I made her a duck that I killed.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: This is when he talks about how he got in a fight with the duck. Then Ted tries to stand up and he's hammered, and the janitor says, those are jum legs.
Speaker 2: What adult would leave a kid like that? I mean, that's right. Who dropped the kid off there? It's not okay, I get it. Doctor Cox was supposed to pick his child up. He missed the opportunity because he was He's busy doing so many things. Things like that. I hope never happened to me with my kids, but I could see how something like that would happen. But who was the asshole? That's like, all right, now, get out the car and you stay right here on this corner with these busy cars while I leave you to do the rest of my day.
Speaker 1: I know, or I assume. Yeah. I was nervous just even watching the kid, knowing that there was obviously tons of adults around. It was just nerve racking to watch it.
Speaker 2: Crazy. Who does that? Nobody, nobody. It'll just be mad at you when you get there. I had ship to do. Put your kid and you.
Speaker 1: Jad and the janitors throw ted in the elevator with Gooch. Yes, and and when the elevator door opens, uh kate you. They ask you what's going on and you say something like he's he's hiding in the corner.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And then he's just in the corner. I remember. I remember when we were shooting this and I was like, this is so weird, and you're like, have you seen our show?
Speaker 1: I love that. An actor coming in to do like a recurring part is like, is this is this too weird? I mean hiding in the corner of the elevator or like, no, have you watched the show?
Speaker 3: Anything goes?
Speaker 2: But then he says he says that the janitor goes. Yeah. He does this often. He'll come out in a second when he feels like the coast is clear, and he comes out after looking around like a little animal looking to see if it's safe. And he comes out and then finally stands up and gets the nerve to finally talk to the touch right. But he gets the nerve by calling the peans peons a symbol.
Speaker 1: Right that gives him his superpower.
Speaker 2: That's where his power shows up.
Speaker 1: And what song do you guys sing?
Speaker 3: I forgot there, carry on my wayward side.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I learned that song through rock Man. That's how I learned that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's Kansas. I just looked it up.
Speaker 3: I remember one of my favorite I have so many really clear memories from shooting this episode. But we were in the stairwell of the hospital, practicing, all of us, and it was it just sounded so cool because it was all and these guys are so good and then there I was with my ukulele and like singing along with them, and I just remember feeling like my heart was so full. I was like this, like it doesn't get better than this, like practicing, we're just about to shoot this thing. These guys are so good, Like it was just a really great moment. I still remember it.
Speaker 2: Do they make electric ukuleles? Yeah, sound like electric guitars kind of you want to.
Speaker 3: See you want to see one of them?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Oh wait, okay, hang on, we'll have to describe it to the audience because this is not a visual production. Excited. I'm excited for Daniel to remix Scrubs.
Speaker 2: Music song Holy Cat. Look at that? Wow, So it looks like it looks like a I guess it looks like a fender.
Speaker 1: It looks like a tiny electric guitars.
Speaker 3: It's a brand called Ella Yuk. They gave it to me a long time ago. I don't know. And it actually has batteries, so but I don't think the batteries are in it right now. But I've I've messed around with it and like you can just like you know, put a pedal on it and like a you know, make some crazy sounds.
Speaker 2: Because you have fast hands. I was wondering if you've ever done solos like on the.
Speaker 1: Event. We can YouTube and search for people doing insane solos on the dude.
Speaker 2: I found a dude doing the e Walk song from Return to the Jedi on That's cool.
Speaker 1: I think it's uku lily, you keep saying.
Speaker 3: I think it's either either.
Speaker 1: Oh really, I think because you're the expert, tell us is it? You can say uk lily.
Speaker 3: I think in Hawaii they say lily, you say kallely.
Speaker 2: I say klely.
Speaker 1: Donald. Did you know that on purpose that you were using the Hawaiian pronunciation?
Speaker 2: I did, you didn't, but yeah no, but I found.
Speaker 1: Yo nope, chiky Why why celebrate the live?
Speaker 2: Yeah? No, yep, no Hallelun.
Speaker 1: Do you know the whole song.
Speaker 2: No, Yo, I'm not I'm just making up sounds.
Speaker 1: The only part I remember, and I think we've talked about this on the podcast, is that all of a sudden, Donald and I you have joked you and I have joked about this that it's any wakes and then it cuts to celebrate the life which we have, which we surmised that there was no Ewoks for celebrate the life.
Speaker 2: All of a sudden can speak English, celebrate the life.
Speaker 1: I think it goes yub nub it chicky. Why why celebrate the life?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: No, but then they changed the music completely.
Speaker 3: See if there's a recording session of this on YouTube like you.
Speaker 2: That would be amazing. I would love to see a bunch of grown folks in a room banging drums. I think that's speaking. I don't know. I think they might be speaking actually in an African language, actually the Ewoks.
Speaker 5: I could be wrong, but look that up for googling at this very moment, Daniel, what.
Speaker 1: Can you look up the origins of the Ewok language.
Speaker 2: Daniel, Swahili or something like that.
Speaker 1: You walk speak their native language of Ewalk is a fictional language created for the film I.
Speaker 2: Got it right, oh, it's created.
Speaker 1: So Danel can you google the lyrics to the end song? And am I right in?
Speaker 2: Yeah? No, Daniel, don't feel bad making fun of it because it's it's it's it's made up for the movie. So I could say it and not offend anybody, ye.
Speaker 1: Have, No, Daniel, can you confirm that in the lyrics to the final e walk song that celebrate the Life is the only English in the song?
Speaker 2: Sure? You ce imagine because if they're like Bad Bunny and they just sneak English words in these in the song, you listen to Bad Bunny at all?
Speaker 1: No, you don't listen to bad I mean, I know, with a big hit that's always on the top baby.
Speaker 2: No, no, you don't listen to that.
Speaker 1: No. I only listen to Kate's music.
Speaker 2: All right, well, all.
Speaker 1: Right, well then we got to I really wanted to get to what, Daniel, what are you learning?
Speaker 2: Uh? There is no celebrate the Life in the song.
Speaker 5: I was gonna say, well, that is the lyric, it's actually celebrate the Light, Celebrate the Light. But also all of the all the lyrics are apparently in e Walkies, but there's an English translation.
Speaker 1: I'm telling you, I don't know, I don't know.
Speaker 2: What hold on time out. I've been dying to know what they're singing in this song.
Speaker 1: I mean, please just read it the English translation, the English translations. Just one verse. Please freedom.
Speaker 5: We got freedom and now that we can be comebrate no stop stop that, you know that's what the freedom. We got freedom and now that we can be free. Come and celebrate power. We got power and now that we can be free. It's time to celebrate. Celebrate the freedom, celebrate the power, celebrate the glory, celebrate the love.
Speaker 1: Yubub what's yeah, I'm just I just inserted that for flavor, but it just celebrate the love you yub nub must mean celebrate freedom.
Speaker 2: No, yubnub is freedom, yub freedom.
Speaker 1: Actually yeah it is yub no is freedom. Wow. Totally nice Donald, good work. All right, yup, number, Let's take a break. We'll be right back after these fine words. Kate, would you honor us by singing, uh this song, the fuck you song?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, sure, I I'll do. You know, I'll just do both parts. It's a duet.
Speaker 1: But if you wouldn't mind doing both parts?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and yeah, I'll you.
Speaker 1: Can't harmonize well well she she can't she can't harmonize with herself?
Speaker 3: But yeah, it would be hard and and.
Speaker 1: Does anyone ever harmonized with themselves? Kate without electronic recording.
Speaker 3: Equipment that has like an interesting vocal chord or something. I don't know, I'd love to say, all.
Speaker 1: Right, well, okay, here is here is a fuck you like Kate mccoochee.
Speaker 3: All right, This one goes out to sam Oh speak. I've got so many questions in my mind, and I've got too many answers to find ken, I give up all I've imagined? Am I am magical enough for this to happen? Because I like you, I like you, I like you, I like you, and like can lead to like like and like like can lead to sure as the stars above, I'd really like to screw you. Oh Oh? Can I be the man you are looking for? Can I be your girl forevermore? I'll try real hard not to lose her. I'll try to be less of a loser because I like you, I like you, I like you, I like you, and like can lead to like like, and like like can lead to love. Sure as the stars above, I really like to doink you, bang you, nail you sex you screw.
Speaker 1: You when you do the high When you do that high note, it makes.
Speaker 3: Me thanks because I really can't quite hit it.
Speaker 1: But oh, okay, you should write a musical.
Speaker 3: Oh I thank you. I mean someday, maybe it is a dream of mine.
Speaker 1: I really think that. I'm just listening to you. Then I thought you because you're a funny, talented lyric assist and musician. You can do both and their storytelling songs. I really think that you'd be such a good creator of a musical.
Speaker 3: Thank you. Yeah, I mean, it's definitely something I want to do. So I appreciate that.
Speaker 1: Donald and I will do the play for yours when you when you're ready, Donald and I will do.
Speaker 3: The play reading okay, perfect, And if.
Speaker 1: There's a moment for me to rise through the stage playing.
Speaker 3: On a roof, yes, I'm willing to.
Speaker 1: I'm willing to expand to other set pieces, but I do want to come through the stage perfect.
Speaker 3: Well, thank you thanks for letting me do that.
Speaker 2: We should go back and talk about how that all comes from. You got Ted and Gooch rehearsing together all the time, and Ted coming and running in and saying, yo, dude. I think she likes me, and they're like, how do you know she likes you? And then we flash back to this moment, right and then she comes in and then Gooch comes in again and asks Ted for to go to coffee, and Ted calls the peons. This was I mean, it's such great storytelling. Man. He calls the peons and she was like, well, I was kind of just thinking it would be you and me. And he looks back and it's that look back of you know, I don't need you, guys, I want you here, and they look at him like you're gonna be okay. But then they don't have no place to go after Like, it's such a great moment, and then you know, this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship. It's the great It's one of the best meet cutes on Scrubs and the Turk and Carla got the best one. But you know, after that, it's very sweet.
Speaker 1: And instantly you just root for them. You just root for these right away. Yeah, because gree one wants people to be in love, and especially someone who's socially awkward and timid, as the character of Ted, You're like, oh, come on, I want love for him. This is so exciting. You just get invested, you know.
Speaker 2: You just want something more than the tragedy that was you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I remember being very nervous for that scene. Like I said, this was like very early on for me, and so it was like a longer scene than the other ones had been. So I was like, Okay, I've got I've got dialogue here. I've got to get this right. And I remember thinking every time we did a take, I was like, what, why are my eyes all messed up? Why are my eyes all messed up? And I was so nervous. I wasn't blinking. It's all right, blank.
Speaker 2: I found myself doing that in scenes too where but it's not blinking. I'll sometimes just freeze in a position and hold a position for like way too long. I'd be like I should have put my hands down.
Speaker 3: But then you're like, oh, I just do that for now. I've got to be doing that now.
Speaker 2: I got it right. For every take, I have to hold it.
Speaker 1: That's true. You have to kind of commit to what you did, yeah, which is so frustrating sometimes because you're like, why did I do that right?
Speaker 2: And you second guess here, Yeah, but you know it's from this It's the work. The work is the work.
Speaker 1: I want to say, One funny, interesting thing that most people wouldn't get is that Christa has this necklace that she would in her real life that is the letters of all her children. Each one is a little charm of all her children. And I noticed that she was wearing it in one of these scenes walking down the hallway, and her the h was on top these stacked charms. H for Henry was the one that was stacked on top, just a tiny thing. I noticed that most people, not even Scrubs Wiki would notice.
Speaker 3: That's so sweet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so Henry. She was wearing a Henry basically a Henry charm necklace for her son.
Speaker 2: You know, this episode really does show you, you know, because Cox he really tries to do it all on his own, and he fails at the end, and he fails at the one thing that he really really cares about the most, and that's being with his son and being able to read his son a bedtime story at night. Yeah, and if he would just you know, accept the help. You know, he bends a little bit and he takes you know, he allows Karla to help with the schedule, But if he would have just gave her the schedule in the first place, maybe that would have been off the plate. But because he has to do everything, he missed the one thing he sacrifices, the one thing that he enjoys doing the most, the reason why he you know, works in the hospital and does what he does too, you know. And it was, it's it's, it's it's really it's it's paced over really fast. But at that moment, I've come home and the kids have been asleep and been like, you know, ship that was I was hoping to I was hoping to catch them and the disappointment. But yeah, man, that was a really interesting that was It was it's a relatable moment, and it's also the show in a nutshell, and you can't do this by yourself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the whole show. I can't do this all on my own. It's it's the whole premise, thesis, statement of the show.
Speaker 3: I just got shills thinking about it.
Speaker 1: I also thinking, as you were saying that, Donald, that I bet Bill was thinking about all this, because you know, being a showrunner is like being the chief of medicine. You're in charge of everything and every department is asking for your attention. In editing and writing, in production where they're shooting actively in wardrobe for next week's costumes, and location scouting for next week's location. Everyone is pulling you in every single direction and you have to delegate. And also Bill has has and had three children and a wife. So I couldn't help but think as I was watching this, thinking, gosh, he's writing this for Cox, but it also really overlaps with his own life.
Speaker 2: I've always thought that Cox and Bill are pretty much the same character, not like really outright, but yeah, you know, I mean, the relationship that they have with JD is kind of the relation Jordan and Cox. I'm saying, it's kind of the relationship that they have with everybody. They're so sincere and so loving and so grateful. But it comes with the bit of you know, I don't want to say, I don't want to misuse the word, but it comes with a bit of snark. It comes with a bit of you know, uh, it's not tough love. It comes it comes with a jab here and there. You know what I mean. You ever hear you talk to Bill, you have conversations with Bill, He'll make fun of you a couple of times and you'll be like, oh shit, that was tough. But it's all coming from love and from back, from back then quite a bit. But I feel like when he writes Cox and JD, that's him. I feel like Cox is his reflection of how he is to everybody in some ways, like it's like I don't want to really fuck with y'all, but I do fuck with y'all because I love you. But you know, I prefer it if you know, you'd give me my space and let me have my wall up. Yeah, but he's dropped that completely. I remember what he didn't hug. I remember what he didn't.
Speaker 1: He used to not hug, and you have to be like, dude, Me and Donald were like, we're huggers. Dud, you're gonna have to drop this because we need to hug you right now. He's a big hugger.
Speaker 2: It's a huge minute. It took many long time, long time.
Speaker 1: Well that's pretty much the show, Kate, this has been so fun and thank you so much. How about by the way, how do people who want to hear your music tell them how they could find your you and in your band? How do they find you singing?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think mostly just on Spotify, I mean Garfunkle notes. We have a ton of YouTube videos. Uh just you know, but we also have albums on Spotify. I have some solo music on Spotify. I'm gonna have a new album of songs coming out in September. But but yeah, so, I mean, I don't know. I always making songs.
Speaker 1: So that's how you find Kate's music every garfunkling notes or Kate mccucie spelled spell.
Speaker 3: It Kate m I see u c c I Oh. I was going to tell you this funny story real quick to do it. So I'm in New York City like a month ago, and I'm running because we're rushing to get We had to go to the airport and I see this guy selling T shirts and instead of Gucci, it said Coucie see you Yeah, And a lot of people call me Kucci or you know, which is funny because this character is gucc But and I said, hold on, does that say Kucci And he's like no, it says Gucci. And I was like, no, I want it to say Kucci and it goes, yeah, that's Cuchie. I have to buy it. It's like the best twenty dollars I've ever spent. It's my favorite T shirt.
Speaker 2: So it's like the Gucci font, but it's a sea exactly.
Speaker 1: That's hilarious. Donald, you could rock that.
Speaker 2: I could listen. Man, I have no problem rocking Cucci on my shirt.
Speaker 1: Are you thinking about your outfit for the live show? I want you to Daniels already thinking about his especially not.
Speaker 2: This is getting real. Okay, it's getting real. Talk about things that are that? Are you know I'm not in my fighting weight yet?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Well you have you have eight days to get to.
Speaker 2: Your fighting Yeah. I need I need to get on that.
Speaker 1: Are you going to go on to cleanse?
Speaker 2: You want to know what I'm gonna do?
Speaker 1: Get high and eat toritos.
Speaker 2: I'm not going to smoke weed for the whole week.
Speaker 1: Yeah right, here it is folks.
Speaker 2: You heard it here live?
Speaker 1: Yeah right? Are you? Are you really committing to this?
Speaker 2: This is how you get skinny.
Speaker 1: The audience is going to ask you live in Seattle?
Speaker 2: If you lied to them, they'll see that'll the proof is in the motherfucking pud in Seattle. It is there is Seattle. All right.
Speaker 1: Well, this iss on Tuesday. This airs on Tuesday. So Seattle. We will see you this Saturday at the More Theater. That's gonna be a lot of fun. Please check out A Good Person, which is now available to rent only for five ninety nine. Everywhere you watch movies. Check it out on Apple or Amazon or Voodoo or wherever you rent movies. You can get it now finally, for just five ninety nine. Please check it out. And Uh and Kate, thank you so much for being here. And Daniel, I'm excited to have you spinning at the live show. Happy to do it all right. We love you guys. Five six stories that show we made about a bunch of Don.
Speaker 2: Storry nephew. All should know.
Speaker 4: So gadder round you here, op, gather round you here our Scotch.
Speaker 2: We watch a viz and no mm hmm,