Speaker 1: Morning.
Speaker 2: Everybody's dej Envy Charlamagne the guy. We are the breakfast Club. I guess co host Claudia Jordan is here, Yes, indeed, and we got a special guest in the buildings to meek A Mallory.
Speaker 3: Welcome back.
Speaker 4: Hey, Hey, hey, are you having me? I'm excited to be here. It's been a while, a long time. You I appreciate it.
Speaker 5: They invite me, and I say, no, really, yeah.
Speaker 6: But you got a lot of work that you're doing right now. You gotta get to worry out about some things.
Speaker 4: A lot happening. I say.
Speaker 5: I've been telling people that the movement is on all cylinders right now. It's so many things, so many cases. Actually I wrote stuff down for bruh. I gotta really know what h to inform people about. But there's a lot happening. I think you know. The overall thing that we need to know is that our country is in big trouble and everyone, everybody is going to suffer as a result. But whenever we in trouble, black folks, brown people, we suffer the most.
Speaker 3: And you tried to tell them we in a state of emergency. You got your books sitting right here.
Speaker 5: It is a state of emergency indeed, and it's getting worse. I mean, you and I talk about this all the time. To me, it feels like it's getting worse. I think also because a lot of people are so numb they don't really want to focus anymore. And that's dangerous because there's just too many things to do, too much to know about, and we just need to be well informed about what we're up against. And I think that you know, being able to call it what it is, that white supremacy, excuse me, and white vigilanteism is on the rise. And of course we're dealing with issues within our own community, with mental health problems and poverty, cause and violence. There is a tension and a feeling in the country that I'm sure you all feel, and it's really dangerous.
Speaker 4: It's not a comfortable space.
Speaker 5: And you know, I don't think it gets better just by us ignoring the problem.
Speaker 7: How do you think we get around this fatigue? Because I do notice there is a fatigue. Right, It seemed like we were all all hands on deck maybe twenty twenty, in the height of all the George Floyds were protesting all that. Everybody seemed like, all right, we on this and it seemed like everyone just kind of fell off. Every people, thank God for you, but it seems like there's a lot of fatigue right now, Like people say, I'm tired of hearing.
Speaker 5: About it, and I think people also, First of all, movements always are up and down. They never stay consistent at one pace. It's impossible. People have to get back to their lives. Folks have families and things that they have to do, so that's normal. But there is a fatigue that, unfortunately, I think doesn't change until people feel so uncomfortable that they have no choice but to get back in the game. And you know, we try to continuously sound the alarm by making sure folks feel like there's a way for them to fit in and get in, but it's not until you start feeling it on your block, in your home that is like, oh, wait a minute, where's the where's the protest or who am I supposed to be voting for?
Speaker 4: You know what am I supposed to do? To jump in the fight?
Speaker 1: So let's let's start.
Speaker 2: You know a lot of people they don't necessarily run because a lot of people don't know what's going on. Like we get bombarded with so much in the news, and half the time we don't.
Speaker 1: Know what's real or what's fake, what's true, what's false? What should we be focusing on?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 1: What are you focusing on?
Speaker 5: Well, you know, I wrote these things down so that you know, we could kind of break things into different parts. You know, in the summer twenty twenty, since you brought that up, a lot of corporations were talking about their commitment to diversity.
Speaker 4: That was the whole thing.
Speaker 5: In fact, corporations made pledges for millions and millions, probably billions of dollars, and certainly we've not seen that in the movement and across all spectrums of areas where marginalized communities need support, most companies have either you know, gone away, they you know what you call it, out of sight, out of mind. And then some did a few things. And of course we can't ignore that the recent news on Black Lives Matter has certainly helped people find a way to say, oh, well, you know, maybe I shouldn't be given to those causes, which you know, we talk all the time about how or bullshit on a lot of it. Nonetheless, it has.
Speaker 4: Been an issue.
Speaker 5: It is an issue, and so one thing I have been focused on is calling corporations back to the table. And I've been working specifically on a company called Pinini, and people are like, how did you get in sports and trading cards? Sports memorabilia and trading cards? Like where did that come from? But I always I often remind people that every case we get involved with, we.
Speaker 4: Find out from the people people call us.
Speaker 5: They call us and say it's a police brutality incident, they say something happened in the jail. That's how we got Imparchment Prisons with shout out to our family at Rock Nation and Team Rock because we worked to really make change in Parchment. And I'm sure people in Parchment are probably like, what change. You know, it's still slow coming, but we did work with the local community in Mississippi to make some change there. But this all comes from people calling us elected officials, concerned citizens, scary folks. That's like, don't tell nobody it's you know that I called. But somebody hit me up and was like, like, hey, you should check out what's going on at this company, Panini. They have seventy five percent of their trading cards and their talent, if you will, black athletes back black and brown. But primarily black athletes. A three billion dollar company with no senior executives that are black people, not even one. So when we found it out, we were like, okay, well, first of all, maybe we don't know, maybe they just didn't put them on the website. You know, we're gonna see and we sent a letter to Panini. It took them a while to get back to us until it started to pick up in the media, especially after we sent letters to the NFL and the NBA and the players' associations and all the others asking why are you partnering with these folks who are allowing them to use your talent? It's basically our people being exploited, and so you know, folks is like, well, how are you going to tell this company what they should do with their business? But of course we can't allow that because diversity, equity and inclusion is supposed to be the moral like heart of every business, especially when you're using our brands, and then you won't hire our people and put them in senior level positions. And the other thing is, it's like, what's the matriculation process for the people who already worked there? They claim they have ten thousand I mean, excuse me, ten percent of African Americans working within the company. So then what happens when those people applied, do they even feel like they can apply but senior level positions. So we've now heard back from Panini, we heard back from the MLB NFL couple. You know, people got back to us in the industry to say, hey, they support the cause for diversity and inclusion and equity most importantly, which is what this is about. Because there is a difference between equity and equality.
Speaker 4: We need to be aware of that.
Speaker 5: But Panini got back to us and their response was that, you know, we are committed to diversity, but we understand that you're asking a deeper question about our leadership and we're going to hire somebody to come in and help us. But that's so you know that it's not enough for us. We need to sit at the table, have other people, advisors, people. I was thinking to myself that why would we not have form retired players and others be able to go work at Panini? Right?
Speaker 4: Why not?
Speaker 6: Why does specific company? Though, because there's a bunch of billion dollar companies that don't have black people in the c suite, Why do is specific.
Speaker 4: Coy well, first, well one, why not?
Speaker 5: So that's one just because they we found out, we went, we checked, and we did the work. But they're not the only company, you know, We've had similar conversations over the years with Walmart, with Verizon, you know, and in fact, with Verizon we went to them around Colin Kaepernet to ask them why would they continue to sponsor and you know, be partners with the NFL knowing what was happening the Colin. So we find reasons to approach corporations all the time about their commitments or their said commitments to our communities and from my perspective black folks in this moment, but they need jobs.
Speaker 4: Like they need jobs, they need opportunities.
Speaker 5: They need a seat at the table, right And you know some people say, well entrepreneurship, Yeah, but while you're building, because all of us here are entrepreneurs.
Speaker 4: But we got jobs too.
Speaker 2: Douse Perini feel that since they've given so much money away to students.
Speaker 1: And especially college athletes.
Speaker 2: I know they do a lot with nil deals that because they're doing that, they necessarily don't have to because they feel like we're giving the community money.
Speaker 5: Well they didn't say that, but from our perspective. No, like at until freedom. Our perspective is regardless of how much you give away, you're just doing what you're supposed to do. But then also, now, let's find out what social causes are you involved with that the players care about, not saying education is not one of those things. But there may be other issues. Gun violence might be an issue that you need to be invested in. You know a number of issues, voting rights like, there are other things that the players. Again, that's why you have to have our people in senior level positions to help make.
Speaker 7: Those What kind of action plans would you like to see Panani do to curR this like lack of diversity? What would you like to see?
Speaker 5: Yeah, so first of all, they need to have an advisory committee of individuals from our communities that can help them look at the diversity issues. And when they say they're gonna hire somebody who you hire, don't hire your homie who's gonna say everything is okay. You just need to hire like two black people and that's it, you know. No, there needs to be a top down strategy and there are a number of companies that do this. There are companies that have done a decent job. I can't say a great job, but a decent job of looking at their diversity issues through the eyes of people who look like us, and so I think that's one. But first of all, they need to have us at the table to help them decide how to move forward. And that doesn't mean we're not asking them for a dime. So let's get that straight. Before the breakfast club friends goes talking about we asking them for money, We're not asking them for anything.
Speaker 4: We're asking them for change.
Speaker 2: Now, what of the companies are in a similar situation that you want changed like that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm glad listen.
Speaker 5: I'm not gonna answer you, only because you know, you never really let them know, like Panini had no idea we were coming. And when people, when you start calling names, folks get things straight, they start putting people on the on the website.
Speaker 4: They'd be like, we're the website. Bring the website. We got some negroes in.
Speaker 5: The basement, bring them up sticks and take some pictures. So we won't do that, but we certainly are looking at other companies, you know, and we'll be talking about them as time goes on.
Speaker 7: It's actually been amazing the dip and what we see, like I really felt like there was actually some even if it was for optics, some type of effort being made. Oh yeah, And some of them were surfaced like you see the commercials right all of a sudden, like every commercial of every company was like a black person was in it. A lot of times it was like an interracial couple. But you saw people trying to make at least an effort publicly. It seemed like they're not even giving a damn anymore. What it looks like publicly anymore.
Speaker 5: Well, just on that point, when we did the research to find at every company, we sent letters and by companies, I'm talking about the leagues and the players associations, we sent letters to the CEO. We also went to look for the diversity person, right, because most companies have somebody, and we found that most of those people were hired in twenty twenty. Like all the different leagues, their diversity person came on board around twenty twenty and was well celebrated by the company. So that just goes to show you that movements work. That's first of all that you know, for those people who think movements don't work, it actually provided opportunities for some of our people, and I'm sure depending on who the black person is in that seat, there's more happening within the community. But there's so much more that can be done, and that means that the movement can't stop because the job is not complete.
Speaker 2: Are people getting are they getting to actually be able to work or is it one of those things that we're hiring them just for the face, but they're not actually being able to contribute.
Speaker 5: Well, you know what, I don't know, and I'm sure there's a little bit of all of that happening, you know, because I know several diversity folks in different companies and some of them are frustrated. Others feel like they're really being supported. So I think it's a mixture of that. But we don't know until unfortunately, issues start to come up and you start asking questions. That's the reason why we have to have different examples. So Panini becomes an example which says to other companies, shit, they might be come in my way, let me try to get my stuff together.
Speaker 3: When you talk.
Speaker 6: About things working, parchment is a good example of things working. Yeah, Because I think the documentary comes out June seventeenth, exposing Parchman what did a work around, you know, what did the movie do for partying?
Speaker 5: So we found out about Parchment again. People call you and you know, tip you off to stuff that's happening, and in fact, in Parchment, I have to give a shout out to many of the incarcerated individuals because they did the work. They are the ones that filmed the horrific conditions within the prison. And you know, I never forget being in the car. I don't know where I was going to do an if you somewhere in the South. I remember getting a phone call from a woman that you could clearly hear. She was like ninety something years old, and she was like, you know, my son, he said he sent you something. She said, could you please, you know, go look, because you know, on Instagram and other things, if you not following the person or whatever they sent it, it's getting way back somewhere in the you know. And so I had no idea what was going on, but she called my attention to it, and so I, you know, looked in and saw all these videos blood, you know, people hanging from you know, it was just bad, like rats, mold, terrible. And at the same time, we have family, our Mississippi Prison Reform Coalition folks out there, ra Quia Lamamba and others who are in Mississippi. They were friends. So we contacted them from until freedom. It was when we first started our organization. Contacted them like what can we do? Got everybody together, yandee, all our people, like we're going to try to go. And then at the same time had been already working with Rock Nation. They also were getting calls. We went to them saying, let's combine our efforts and we started rallying. You know, they put op eds in the major newspapers. That's what happens when you work with people that have money. People don't understand why that's important to have access to capital. We talk about Harry Belafonte is someone who had access to capital. And Doctor King, yes, rest in peace to mister Belafonte missed to be as we call him. You know, he had access to resources. So Doctor King was able to work with him and he helped and supported Doctor King to get his word out, to get his message out to travel the world. So it's important when you have people. People get mad at me every time, like why do you keep saying Jay? And they did.
Speaker 4: They helped us.
Speaker 5: They help us all the time to make sure we could get their travel. It costs money to get on a plane and fly to a city and be in that city. You need security, it's a lot of things. So we combined our efforts. They're not activists, they're not a the ground. They allowed us the stage, they put the stage up.
Speaker 4: We got on it.
Speaker 5: And did what we had to do, and as a result, you know, work and by the way, the people in Mississippi had already been doing this work for years, so we bought them some extra stuff and spiced it up, and there was this big pot of gumbo that forced ultimately the state one to come in and look at the jail and say, okay to prison and say there's some serious human rights abuse and issues. And now there's a plan that they have to work through. The jail is responsible, the government is overseeing it, and the lawyers that were hired by Team Rock and Rock Nation have been engaged and there's a lawsuit with many of the incarcerated people there. So again, it's not the fix all It's not we can't. We're well beyond fix, all right. We've been dealing with this five hundred plus years, So it's not the fix all, but we've done our part to at least move us a little bit closer to what it looks like for a more justice siety.
Speaker 6: You know what to ask when it comes to stuff like that, like you know, you protest, you march when Rock Nation does something like a Khalif Broder doc or the Trayvon Martin dock or Exposing Parchment Doctor's coming.
Speaker 3: Does that make y'all jobs easier?
Speaker 4: Yeah? It helped. Well.
Speaker 5: First of all, helps because we get eyeballs on our work. People get to see that it's actually something happening. Because a lot of times we fall into this place where the narrative is like this don't mean nothing, nobody's doing anything.
Speaker 4: People are not focused.
Speaker 5: And so when you get to see us because I'm in the documentary, and you also get to see the local people, local people get ignored, you know, they get overlooked, and you get somebody like a rock or whomever to go into a city. Even me, even I have to be careful because I have a brand that I can go into cities and drown out those individuals who are on the ground. So it's our responsibility to use every resource we have to uplift those people who are there. We learn that, of course in Louisville, Kentucky with Breonna Taylor and you know, And so the documentary helps people to see the work. It also helps people to see the elements that went into the types of people, like how much collaboration it takes. It's not just marching, it's not just policy, it's not just legal strategy. But all of it coming together is what makes up a movement. So yes, those documentaries are important. I mean, when we go back and watch documentaries of the past, if you are a true student of history, or if you really want to understand how we even ended up here, good or bad, you go back and you watch old documentaries and read books, and you can figure out or really kind of trace the steps of what has taken place before us.
Speaker 4: You're on the front lines.
Speaker 7: Do you ever get discouraged?
Speaker 5: Hell?
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you feel like what am I doing?
Speaker 5: I get more than discouraged. I get pretty nasty about it. I send text messages in the middle of the.
Speaker 4: Night saying words, bad words.
Speaker 5: You know, lately, I've been saying, you gotta stop texting this stuff because these things are gonna be historic documents like people want to print your text messages.
Speaker 4: I've been saying why do I do this again? Like, so, where's your motivation come from?
Speaker 7: On those days when you know, we see the winds right, But there's the days where you probably.
Speaker 4: I don't know about the winds.
Speaker 5: Well, whens, I'm not progress progress, A little bit of progress, a little bit of progress because wins, I don't feel like I'm there yet, you know, and you know whatever. Some people would argue that we should be careful not to appreciate the things we've been able to accomplish, in which we have many things. But I think my I always say that my investment in this movement is very selfish. It's not like, oh, I'm doing it because of the other children and the other people.
Speaker 4: It's my own family.
Speaker 5: Like me, you know, I want to be able to drive and feel comfortable and walk around in society and not be treated differently or othered. I want my son to be protected. And now I have a grandchild, you know, and here this is a young girl or a baby who's going to grow up in this society.
Speaker 4: What is it going to look like?
Speaker 5: I don't want to leave here with people saying like, well, what did you do to contribute and I'm over here pointing at oh, well they did.
Speaker 4: No, we have a.
Speaker 5: Responsibility, and I think that's where every you know, when I get up and some days, Claudia, it's turned into a situation where I go to bed like, I promise you, I will not do shit else for these people because of all the stress that I go through, the attacks, the lies, this and that. I'd be like, that's it, and then I'd be like, which people are people? Like in the morning when I wake up, I'm like, let me go to work, because this is what I'm supposed to be doing. Calling on your life is something I was telling you that, which you didn't respond to.
Speaker 4: But I was texting you about that. You know, when you.
Speaker 5: Start it's like a revelation that happens in you and you know you've been called.
Speaker 4: I didn't reply to that, No, sir.
Speaker 3: I know exactly what that comment was about about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, respond with a friend. I was gonna ask stuff.
Speaker 3: For one second, though, this is what a grandma looks like.
Speaker 6: Damn man, Think about what grandma used to look like thirty forty years.
Speaker 5: They was looking good too, They just you know, it was just different. But they taught us, They made us look like this. It's a fountain of youth.
Speaker 2: I was going to ask you, you know, with everything that you do, do you ever feel like I'm doing it for nothing? Because it's the same storyline over and over again. You know, you fight for this family here, and then a day later this happens here, and then the day later this happens here, and it feels like I keep fighting and nothing changes because we see it all the time, and it feels like people's mentality of how they look at us never change.
Speaker 5: I shifted my perspective on that because I did have that, and it was it sent me into depression, sent me into addiction, sent me into a bad, dark place. So I shifted my perspective to understand through therapy, which was incredibly important, that my job is to just take the baton and pass it along. It's not to fix the problem. So that's what happens is when we think that like it starts with us and ends with us.
Speaker 4: We're the end all be all. We got to fix it. Like how if we die and it hasn't been fixed, we failed.
Speaker 5: That is not realistic and it's not true. Our responsibility is to be able to show that we got in the game and it was better because of us that we passed it along to others, just like someone passed the work on to us. And so I now in that light or understanding that I feel like I'm doing a great job. I don't think that we're winning, but I think I'm doing a great job of being committed and focused on something for thirty years of my life. This is all I know. This is what I've been doing. I mean, you know, I'm working. I do other things. Obviously, I'm an author, thank you, Leonard. And I have other insulting businesses and all of that, but this one thing is my passion and it's what I do every day when I wake up and before I go to bed, and I believe that God blessed me, Like I feel so blessed to be called like you know how oh man.
Speaker 4: He put it on you.
Speaker 5: You know what I'm saying, Like you actually have the discernment and the understanding He gave you a voice and a power and relationships like you are a real blessed person if you get all that I have, and you're able to be in as many rooms and spaces as I've been in and to have so many families that are my that's my family.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: I have so many family members out there that we met through tragedy, but these are my people.
Speaker 7: We're lucky to have people like you and have you specifically because you know, it's always what are they going to do something? And you're the they that we talk about. You know, we're the they that we need because a lot of people don't have that in them to go do that, and you do it for us. So thank you.
Speaker 4: I appreciate that.
Speaker 6: Talk to us about I might be pronouncing a sistant name wrong, Ajka owens Man.
Speaker 5: And boy, I tell you what. I was on a conference call last night with Angela Rye and Amanda SIL's and I mean Alicia Garza, Ben Crump, everybody, Jeff Johnson, the names go on and on, all the people, Christy Henderson. It was the coordinator of it and first of all, the brilliance in this movement.
Speaker 4: Oh wow, to be on that.
Speaker 5: Call, I just wish it could be taped so everybody could see the thoughts and people working together to try to help get justice for this woman's family.
Speaker 4: What happened to her is it seems to be very clear.
Speaker 5: At least it's clear to me, and you know, Crump before he gets an attorney, Crump, before he gets involved in things, he kind of knows what what happened for the most part. So it seems it appears that the neighbor was a menace already, like she had been harassing the.
Speaker 1: Story gave the lady donk of to day two.
Speaker 3: Yes, no, no, no, talk about it this one.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 5: So it seems that he had already been harassing the children and people in the community. And this particular day, the kids were playing next door, which you guys probably already discussed. But you know, the kids were playing next door in a field, and she thinks she owns the field, so she's neighborhood Karen. She thinks she owns the field. She tells them when to come and go. The iPad was still in the field when the young man noticed it. All the kids were inside. He noticed his iPad was there. He ran out to go get it. She already had it somewhere along the line. She He approached her to get the iPad and she hit him with something so h his and called him the N word. Well, this young man, the young boy is nine and this, and and and aj as they affectionately call her aj Owens. She has four children and so I think the youngest one is two and so uh she So he went and got mama, and mama came back to talk to the woman get the iPad, probably asked, you know.
Speaker 4: What, why did you get my child?
Speaker 5: All of that, and the woman shot her through the door, shot her through the door and killed he. I mean period, you know, and though to add insult to injury, which is very similar to what happened to Jordan Nearly, or at least what happened to Daniel Perry, the man.
Speaker 4: Who killed Jordan Nearly.
Speaker 5: Is this this thing where you can just go down to the precinct, They ask you a few questions and then you just white and they say, okay, you can go home after you've killed somebody.
Speaker 7: It is amazing that they It's like, do you mind coming in.
Speaker 5: And right, yeah, we just want to ask formal Well, yeah, they didn't release her name, but we know what it is. Her name is Susan Lawrence. I believe that's her name, Susan Lawrence. And you know, again, people in the neighborhood know her. But let me just say on the issue of people getting to go home.
Speaker 1: She called now one at all, So she didn't call nine one until after she shot this.
Speaker 4: I don't know. Oh, that's a good question, because.
Speaker 2: You know, usually a self defense and if the door was closed, there was no way that she felt like her life was a dangerous that.
Speaker 5: I mean, you got to come on sty your ground. Of course, it's a lot of things that I think they're gonna try to use. I think they're gonna have a mental illness thing. They're gonna try a lot of things.
Speaker 7: But the people that are allowed to be mentally ill because it's with us, we don't get that, grace.
Speaker 4: No, we don't. But let me say that.
Speaker 5: One of the things I want to make sure we mentioned is that this is not a new issue or new concern. If you think about Emmitt Till and other cases of the past, there was a time when white people could literally decide that you made them feel uncomfortable, or you you committed some criminal act. They didn't have to be in law enforcement. They could decide your punishment, kill you, whatever they want to do, and there was no consequences for it. So we're going backwards to a time when that is now a thing again that you just gone down town to tell Billy Bob, officer Billy Bob, everything was cool.
Speaker 4: You know, I just shot me a nigga today. That's it.
Speaker 5: It's just and and and and of course I hope we understand not to say that it is okay when it happens to men, because we we fight for black men all the time. Our entire movement has been focused on black men. But now they're killing black women, which brings us to Brianna Taylor. Shout out to Brionna Taylor and her family. Look, happy birthday. She would have been thirty years old. Man, thirty years old, a young, beautiful life, taking her boyfriend, Kenny Walker. Thankfully, the charges that the officer had against him have been dropped, so he's now free and clear to live his life. But yesterday, yesterday, I don't know when.
Speaker 3: That's the case. Was staying ground worked for a black person? Right?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 7: What?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 5: Yeah, right, well yes kinda yes and yes, yes, as he charged him, but they dropped it.
Speaker 4: They never admitted it. That's the point.
Speaker 5: Nobody ever said that he had the right to do what he did or whatever, but he did right, And I think that they dropped the charges for a different reason, which is because they don't want to have to go to court and lay out the details. They're trying to push it, you know, sweep it under the rug. It would make them have to do too much. So but anyway, so the attorney general in Kentucky, y'all talked about this new camp. His name is Daniel Cameron. This man was responsible for the prosecution of the officers. He was responsible for finding justice right as the attorney general. Because the local government decided that they didn't want to try the case. It was too close with the police department and the local DA's and whatever, so they pushed it to the attorney general. First of all, Daniel Cameron is a cop lover.
Speaker 4: He has videos out there.
Speaker 5: Talking about how he will defend police and law enforcement until the end, and he will do whatever's necessary to stand with police. So he had the case and had a grand jury in paneled, which they went and they presented a case to the grand jury, of course, and which is what we fight against. The grand jury proceedings being secret. That's a problem because you don't know what's happening. You don't know what they're presenting with the witnesses or what's gonna happen. So the grand jury comes back and returns their decision, which is to charge one officer which shooting through the wall and that could have hurt the people on the other side. It didn't, but it could have, and so that charge was called wanting in endangerment and that's what the person was indicted on. They never came back with any charges about Brionna Taylor being murdered. But when Daniel Cameron did his press conference to announce what happened in the grand jury, he said that the jurors decided that no charges will be brought against those officers for killing Brianna.
Speaker 4: That's a lie. Why do we know that now?
Speaker 5: Because what Tamik Mallory is saying, the juroris came forward envy the jurist. There was about four them that did an interview saying we were never presented with anything for Breonna Taylor. We kept asking when y'all gonna talk about Brianna and they never bought it up.
Speaker 4: Because that's what you can do.
Speaker 5: That's why they say you can indict a ham sandwich, because you go into the jury pool in the jury room and do whatever you want present the case that you want that gives you the outcome that you desire.
Speaker 4: And he went in there and.
Speaker 5: Didn't want to charge those offices, and so they didn't. So now he's got the audacity. I was about to call him names, and then I thought about it. I'm on the radio. He went in there and no, now he's running for governor, Like what like, how do you get rewarded?
Speaker 4: And he might win.
Speaker 5: Well, if let me tell you something. I don't want to say. I don't want to put wish death on myself or anybody, but I promise you we're gonna fight them like cats and dogs in the street.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 4: Cy.
Speaker 5: On Breonna Taylor's birthday, her mother started off the donation to our organization to Until Freedom for our efforts we are asking she made.
Speaker 4: I didn't even know she was gonna do this.
Speaker 5: She asked people to match her by donating thirty dollars, three hundred dollars, three thousand dollars whatever you can in honor of her daughter being thirty. And we're opening two offices in both of the more urban neighborhoods you know communities in Kentucky, which is in Lexington and in Louisville, and these are places where you know, supposedly low propensity voters, which lend us arso on my partner and until Freedom often says they're high potential voters because they don't really come out unless they're motivated. And we're about to knock on doors until November. We're going to put ads up on TV. We're gonna make sure that every by Lottie Dottie and everybody knows about Daniel Cameron and what he did to Breonna Taylor's ham.
Speaker 3: How do you retake yourself in situations like that? That's dangerous?
Speaker 6: Yeah, like to go post up in Kentucky and like go against this guy who's got a massive support in Kentucky.
Speaker 3: How you protect yourself?
Speaker 5: Well, we're going back again because remember we lived there for four months under mass surveillance by law enforcement and white supremacists, and there's like video to show what we experience.
Speaker 4: I mean, you know, I don't know.
Speaker 5: We First of all, we have security twenty four hours a day, which is important, but you know, security is not necessarily able to stop some crazy person from driving a car through the window of your office or whatever.
Speaker 3: So are y'all being set up you know what I mean, like that.
Speaker 5: But but, but, but before we even get to the point of physical harm watching Just Watch, you're gonna be like, you gotta come back and talk about this. They're gonna have articles out in a minute about everything we ever did wrong, who paperwork ain't right.
Speaker 4: What organization did this?
Speaker 5: Which is why I don't like to get into a back and forth about whether or not somebody bought a house and biling. I don't like to get into that because I know what that conversation is all about, and I know who it benefits for us to get stuck in that. They want to discredit our movement so that they can make sure that nobody that nobody donates to Tamika Mallory either we all criminals.
Speaker 4: I'm not, of course I'm not.
Speaker 5: We said that on this show so many times. But you're right, repetition matters. I'm not in the organization Black Lives Matter. But I'm just saying that I've seen this movie before. This is not the first time. They don't They actually don't do anything new. They repeat the same script over and over again. It's just that there are new players involved, so you think you in something new, But they literally have intentionality right now around discrediting our movement. It doesn't mean you shouldn't ask questions. There should be no accountability, that's not what we're talking about. But when we start going down that rabbit hole, there's a reason why they want us to stay there. And so what will happen is that in the next couple of weeks, especially if Daniel Cameron feels like our movement is a danger to him, you'll start hearing who slept with who?
Speaker 4: Johnny you know, shot somebody when he was twelve, who went to prison.
Speaker 5: That's what they're gonna do to try to discredit the people locally and nationally who will be there fighting him. But we despight it all, despight it all.
Speaker 4: We're gonna be there. We have to stop eating that up there. We're so quick.
Speaker 7: But I knew it was a scam, and we have to stop being so skeptical of each other. Yeah, I saw that happening in Really I'm like.
Speaker 5: Oh, like, but there are scams. There are scams, and guess what, white people run them every day.
Speaker 4: That's right, But they don't like we do something.
Speaker 5: No, no, no, you'll never you will never see like I give you an example, the Women's movement, right, they got all kinds. I know, we were in it right and the Women's we was in we were leaders of the Women's March. We know all about the stuff that goes on internally, but you don't know who's about people's salaries.
Speaker 4: You don't know how much they make.
Speaker 5: In these major women's organizations and other organizations that had or social cause, organizations that have people that don't look like us. You tell me what's their salary, it doesn't come up. You don't know what house they have, where they live, how much money they spent, and if there is an issue, they deal with it internally.
Speaker 4: When it became public that there.
Speaker 5: Was a fight which wasn't even about money, it was because it was women of color at the helm of it.
Speaker 4: So we just have to be aware of that.
Speaker 5: That does not mean that you don't have the right to say, I gave one hundred dollars two hundred thousand, whatever it is, and I want to know what is being done with my resources. I'm not telling people not to ask those questions. I'm saying that what we see going on right now is not about asking questions.
Speaker 4: It is about.
Speaker 5: Creating a creating a dissension campaign or whatever against our movement as a whole. And yeah, I'm not in BLM at all. I have none to do with the money, never received the dime. In fact, I asked them for a million dollars and I'm still waiting on somebody to respond, So this is not about that.
Speaker 4: But I'm also I also.
Speaker 5: Am clear that I don't get to separate myself from this whole movement because I know I only raise My organization raised three thousand, three million dollars when BLM received ninety million. So that's why we asked for a million, which is not even enough. Because we was in the street in the summer of twenty twenty, and we know that people went on their phone and said, I'm not gonna look for a particular name, I'm just gonna give money to BLM. So I feel they owe me money, right, I think they have some of my money, So we asked for a million dollars. But I I understand that this movement, everything that happens, there are implications for all of us. If something happen with you, Envy, I've been watching you for the last few days. I talk to you. You know what I'm saying it impacts everybody that's close to you. That's just what it is. So I just want to put that message out there. Be careful what you allow yourself to get dragged into.
Speaker 6: What would you say to people who say, y'all should just focus focus on getting money, get all the marching and everything.
Speaker 3: I'm just focus on getting the money.
Speaker 4: I mean, you know what.
Speaker 5: And some of my family in the movement, some of my great brethren feel that way now, and I have debate back and forth about again the collaboration and the and the and the need for all of us to be working together or at least not getting in anybody's way. So, whether it's opportunity or white supremacy, either thing has a different perspective of how you address it. The march brings a t to an issue. Then you have people who might be there from a financial perspective to say, well, look, we're building ways that we don't even need police anymore. So now everybody knows there's a problem, and now there are new people coming along to say or other people coming along to say, we're gonna build a new system. Right there, there's politicians but that also have their role, But Here's here's.
Speaker 4: Another important point.
Speaker 5: All my brothers and sisters who are out here doing financial upliftment. What is it called the financial literacy, but it's something else financial development, economic development. Right, there's a strong movement and I support it. They make laws that control what you do. You're not just out here thinking that your money you're gonna just be able to put your money together in a shoe box. You're gonna have to use a bank, create a bank. You're gonna have to have tax codes. There are laws. So those laws mean that you gotta have elected officials that you have to vote for that make the laws. And then how do you get elected officials that you believe will support your interest. You need movement to be behind those people. So none of us could be disconnected from one another. We all play a role in how even the big economic strategy, the exodus that we are planning that is being planned.
Speaker 4: I hope there's still.
Speaker 5: Going to be rules, laws and other things that apply. And lastly, I will say that most of our people ain't where some of us are. So most of our people live in the projects right now, and they need their city council person to make sure that they don't have rats that they have light, that they have heat today. So while you're over here in the lab strategizing on this plan for how we're going to invest together and build together in crypto and all of that digital money and all that stuff, over here, Jojo who lives in the projects, that doesn't even have a cell phone to watch our lives and to show up at our com friences and all of that. He needs lights, water, food, job, His baby needs pampers right now. And there are people who run for office every day, from the federal level down who are responsible for that.
Speaker 4: And we have to be a part of that process.
Speaker 1: How can people donate if they want to donate, absolutely, job, we.
Speaker 4: Need y'all donate so bad, Lord, have mercy.
Speaker 5: Before you talk about donations, I just want to make sure we mentioned Shanquella Robinson. Today there's still a fight to get the state Department.
Speaker 3: You got to remind people that came from when I.
Speaker 4: Was like, I had to go back and make sure I got up.
Speaker 6: I did all the sister who got killed in Mexico, right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, she was killed in Mexico, and and oftentimes because it was people who look like us, we you know, we forget about it, and we're like, oh well. I had a group tell me and it was a deep like this is I know, we gotta go, but this was like, really mess me up. I called the group. I said, Yo, we going to DC. We about to protest, you know, and make sure that they extradite. The State Department has the power, I was, to extradite the one aggressor that we see in the video beating on assaulting Shanquala. They have the ability to extradite them because Mexico claims they filed all the paperwork to get that person so they can prosecute. So so I called my people. I'm like, yo, me, me and DZ like we gonna do this thing. We'll do a press conference. And one woman I don't I would wish I could mention her name, but she's a powerful organizer, said to me, I can't do it. She said, because we believe we are abolitionists. We don't believe in turning our people over to the police or to extraditing them to We believe in give them to us and let us deal with the issue. And I was like, Yo, this kind of messed me up because I never I didn't think about that that you know there are people among us that not saying that. She thinks she knows that what happened is wrong, and in fact she came and stood behind the cameras. But her position was, I can't be a part of turning our people over to this system. We need a mechanism for addressing injustice, violence and all of that in our own community. So we got a lot of things to think about. And with that being said, you can donate to until Freedom by going to until freedom dot com, which is the safest best way to get us donations. But of course if you want to cash app and Venmo and all of that, we're until Freedom spell it properly because people have stolen our stole whichever is right to say our name, colonized our name, and they put one extra E one the ls or whatever, and so a lot of our donations were going to these other accounts. So Until Freedom U N T I, L F R, E E, D O M on all platforms you can give.
Speaker 3: And did we get everything on the notepad?
Speaker 4: I think?
Speaker 5: So let me see, Oh, cop City, cop City, cop City, which they voted today to pass the budget, so that happened overnight. So cop city for folks quickly is in Atlanta. Man, they did such a good job of keeping all the people who usually would have been on the issue, like celebrities and others, they kept them unaware of what was even happening. He made it a classism thing where the only the organizer the shout out to Queenya Nostaha, Shout out to Attorney Gerald Griggs, who was the head of the Atlanta NAACP.
Speaker 4: Shout out to my homeboy, Marcus C. Coleman.
Speaker 5: It's a bunch of people out there that did a lot of great work. Kim Beleeve, the Trees, Jones, and so basically cop City is a place that is being designed to train police officers from around the country. So in Decab County, Andre Dickens, the mayor, is creating a city. And by the way, people want me to mention that this was not his plan. It came from Governor Kemp and Keisha Land's bottoms and then he had the ability to keep it going or to cancel the project.
Speaker 4: So they are building this facility now Here's.
Speaker 5: There's a lot of issues with that because, by the way, police had the most training ever our books who was shot and killed while running away in Atlanta. We all watched it on video. He had the officer who killed him had two hundred hours of training. Two hundred hours of training. They have millions and millions billions of dollars in training, but they don't take the same sixty million dollars that was approved last night in the city council. If you go to Atlanta and go downtown, why don't we use that to put unhoused people in housing? Why don't we use that for mental health issues? They said, well, gun violence is a big issue. Kids that have jobs and opportunities. People that have jobs and opportunities. They're not shooting. Do they shoot in your community? Do they shooting your community? They don't shoot in mine either. They shooting your No, because you know why, most of the people in our communities have resources, They have jobs, they have opportunities. So if we take sixty million dollars and invest it over here, maybe we won't even need as many police. But to add insult to injury, they have a group of individuals they're training people called the the IDF, which is the Israel Defense Forces now the Israeli Defense Forces. Now, everybody got different politics on what they feel about Palestine and Israel and all of that, and we're not getting into that today.
Speaker 4: What we do know, which.
Speaker 5: Is a fact, is that the Israeli defense forces kill people and children in Israel Palestine every day with impunity. Maybe not every day, but very often. They killed the two year old yesterday or the day before.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 5: They are a violent military, violent military with massive human rights abuses. And this is not to Meeka Maalad. This is Amnesty International. This is the United Nations that has talked about the Israeli Defense Fund, which American US tax dollars go to them. Our money helps to invest in the.
Speaker 4: Work that they do killing people.
Speaker 5: And I won't even get into all of the politics around why they're in in Israel because we could go down rabbit hole there, right, which I think is a human rights abuse against another group of people.
Speaker 4: But I said I wasn't getting into it, and then.
Speaker 5: I said it right, So this is these are the folks that they're gonna allow to come in and do training. We already dying, We're already dealing with a racist, abusive policing system in the US which doesn't even have laws federally, federally or locally enough laws to protect citizens black folks, and you gonna slap cop city in the middle of Decab County and have some forces from a violent, dangerous racist military to come and train the people.
Speaker 4: That is what they're gonna say. It's all first responders.
Speaker 5: There's gonna be people there from you know, firefighters, they're gonna have There's an element that cannot be ignored, and that is the police training that will take place in the facility, and that is a problem. The Police Association, I think that's their name. Excuse me if I got it wrong. They are the ones that's coordinating the whole space. And so the basically the resources that the city council approved are to lease space for the responders and others to be trained, but the policing situation is the main focus of the facility. So I called out Maya Dickens, because, brother, how dare you you, as a black man, know what we've been through. You called so many of us and told us that there was going there was gonna be change, and now under the guise of safety, public safety, when I could tell you right now that they do not have a program the way that we do in New York, where there's hundreds of millions of dollars going towards grassroots organizations like Erika Ford, like at Mitchell, and so many groups that do work here.
Speaker 4: And the data proves.
Speaker 5: That when you invest in grassroots organizations, they do real work to make change and to stop and reduce violence in communities of color. They do not have a robust program like that in a and you have the audacity to jump past that, go put money in cop city and not investing your people to really truly keep people safe.
Speaker 4: It's wrong.
Speaker 3: Bottoms go well.
Speaker 5: Because people elected officials, which is an important point, right, they get nervous, and Governor Kemp is a bully.
Speaker 4: So first of all, the fact that you in.
Speaker 5: Bed with Governor Kemp about anything, it's problematic to me. But they get nervous, and so when they start feeling the pressure from the governor and all these people. Because a lot of our folks don't understand what true public safety looks like. We've been taught that public safety is locking people up, but.
Speaker 4: The police exists. Now there's police all over.
Speaker 5: Chicago, and still there was fifty something people shot Memorial weekend.
Speaker 4: So policing is clearly not solving the problem.
Speaker 5: But going back to the original question, are they shooting in your neighborhood?
Speaker 4: Are they shooting?
Speaker 5: Right, So we see what needs to be done, and it is intentionally being nord and they are fattening the pockets of the policing system and then not even giving true accountability measures to keep people accountable accountable. You cannot train racism and white supremacy. You can't out train it. You have to convict it. You have to lock it up, and you have to give it consequences so that people will know.
Speaker 4: I could be as.
Speaker 5: Racist as I want at my kitchen table, but I can't take that ship to work.
Speaker 7: M h.
Speaker 6: Man, Make sure y'all support our good systems to Meika Mallory. Donate the untel Freedom that's until Freedom, subscribe to her podcast or Politicians with the Good Brother Mason, and pick up her book State of Emergency.
Speaker 4: That's right, my brother, he was just up here.
Speaker 1: That's right. That's right, Love Tamika Mallory. It's the Breakfast Club. Good morning. For one second. We just got do some for BT. When we come back, we have more with Tamika Mallories, So don't move. It's the Breakfast Club on b e T. All Right, we're back. We're still kicking it with Tamika Ma Callory. All right, we'll on move.
Speaker 2: We got mover, Tamika Mallory. When we come back, it's the Breakfast Club on B E T.
Speaker 3: Cool