Speaker 1: Yeah, morning, everybody, Its stee j n V.
Speaker 2: Charlamagne the God. We are to breakfast Club. We got our co hosts Claudia Jordan joining us today, Yes, right, and we got a special guest in the building, the von Franklin.
Speaker 3: Welcome, welcome back, thank you, it's good, glad to be back.
Speaker 4: He came in hot, which is good because he's here to talk about flaming hot. But I don't know what you and Claudia were just talking about, y'all. I mean, y'all just started an interview.
Speaker 5: I hosted him this morning, and he put a post up about not being someone's priority, like, no, one's too busy for the right person. If you want to, you know, keep in touch with that person, you'll make time.
Speaker 6: Yes, So to say yeah, I mean that basically, I was just saying that a lot of times, the excuse is, well, I'm too busy, and.
Speaker 3: I'm saying Michelle, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 6: I was just using the example that was there ever a time during you know, Barack's presidency where he told Michelle, you know what, I'm just too busy to deal with it. I'm too busy to check in on the kids. You can handle that. He probably didn't. It doesn't mean that he wasn't busy and challenging, but because the family was a priority, he prioritized him. So I'm saying every time we say I'm too busy for something, we're just saying that that whatever that's something is, or that someone is, they're.
Speaker 3: Not a priority.
Speaker 1: Now let me ask you a question. So Chloya's been here the last couple of days.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there we go.
Speaker 1: She's been having some relationship issues, right, okay, before.
Speaker 4: I'm sure, I'm sure, aready.
Speaker 7: It's a non relationship.
Speaker 2: So you know, we open up the phone lines, let people shoot their shots. It just feels like some of the men that she's been dealing with, I haven't had the time and the effort to.
Speaker 1: Put into Claudia. You know, she talked about young men.
Speaker 2: She said a lot of the young men, you know, owner, but she feels like the young men just want to smash.
Speaker 7: They do, and the old men.
Speaker 1: And what advice could you give.
Speaker 3: Our sister, Claudia and Jordan, tell me what you're looking for? Sona doesn't lie.
Speaker 5: When I was younger, the checklist was really long, and I'm looking for integrity. So Ona doesn't lie so much. A person of that word that seems to be really hard to find nowadays, and they always coming hot with me.
Speaker 3: It's always, oh, it's too good to be true.
Speaker 5: I want to get married, and then the reality of it, they can't sustain the day to day calling back when they say or whatever. So I guess I'm no one's prayers the other day.
Speaker 2: Like the other day, somebody here at ten pm and was like, hey, what you're doing, big head? And then she was like whatever, and she was like what you're wearing?
Speaker 5: Like it was no, it felt very sexual, felt like that's it, which we're gonna get to that if I like you when I get there, relax, but don't leave with that.
Speaker 6: I mean, one adjustment might be, instead of having like a what you're looking for, what you're ready to receive, because the looking is is it enhances the absence of it. Whereas when I'm ready to receive, I'm ready to allow what is coming into my life. And I know that sounds like a small thing, but it's a major thing because people can feel that looking spirit. Again, not saying you have that, I'm saying, but a lot of times you're out there looking for love, people can feel that they're like, ugh, you know, versus like, I'm gonna stand in my power, I'm gonna stand my truth, and I'm ready to receive the right person.
Speaker 5: I'm actually really doing that though in my life because after my last breakup, I said, I'm giving myself six months now, I'm not even considering anyone for that. Like I have to just like have space, yeah, and let that good energy come over to me, because I do agree with it does give desperate vibes, right right, you are kind of low key in a churchway.
Speaker 7: No no, no, no, say that the words that came out of my mouth.
Speaker 1: But then let me ask you another question. Since we talk about Clauda, she also.
Speaker 2: Was having a thing where you know, she was very glarious, easier helping, you know what I mean things that she said or that she was dealing with somebody that was, you know, having a tough time and was kind of depressed. How long do you allow your partner or somebody to be in that mood before you say, okay, there's nothing more that I can do.
Speaker 6: Well, I think, first and foremost it's like if somebody is going through something, only they can get through what they're going through, And so I think sometimes if we put on we take the role of like I've got to help my partner get through this, we may be putting ourselves in a position which we are not qualified to do so versus like, Hey, I'm going to be a support system. How can I support you through this? What is it that you need to from me in order to navigate this period of depression or this anxiety or whatever may be, And have enough grace and space for that person and what they're going through to allow them to go through it. Because what I've experienced is that when you try to heal somebody or you try to do their work for them, you put yourself in an impossible situation because at the end of the day, that's their journey, that's what they have to experience in life for their own growth and their development. And sometimes as a partner, we unnecessarily make it feel like, well, that's what they're going to through.
Speaker 3: I got to go through it too.
Speaker 6: No, that's what they're going through, and I can be there to help them, but they need to set the terms by which that help.
Speaker 3: What that helps look looks like.
Speaker 4: Oh, that's good, we're gonna get to flame hot, but I need to stay on that for a second, because there's so many people dealing with grief. Yeah, and I think one thing that we all think we can do and you know, something happens like death, is we have to come to the person's rescue and help the person. There's nothing you can do. So I think enough people don't know how to show up right and just be support system. So how how they show up and just be supports this?
Speaker 6: You know, in my experience, it's about grace and space. And so if I give my own self grace and space to feel, to experience, to live, and not judge myself for how I'm feeling in any moment, then I can give that to others. I think so often we're trying to be something to somebody because we don't know what we are to ourselves. So when you talk about that grief process, it's like, Okay, we all go through things and navigate loss and that's just part of life. And the best friendships, the best familyships, the best relationships don't require the person to arbitrarily have a timeline by which they pass through whatever they're going through. I mean, with these traumas that we've experienced in life are difficult, and for some of us they take years to heal. So to me, the best way to do that is to first give yourself space and grace for your journey on life. And the second thing is to give that to whomever you're dealing with. Don't you know, push them or pressure them to have to move through something. If they need to cry, be there, hey, I'm here, you know, if they need to yell, hey, yell as low as you want to yell, I'm with you.
Speaker 3: That to me is how you do it.
Speaker 5: That's great advice because if you don't have the right tools and you're constantly trying to like help someone heal or be there for them and they're not really ready to res see that, you stop feeling rejected and then resentful, you know what I mean, Like I'm over here trying to help you out and you pushing me away, and I'm punishing me for.
Speaker 7: Being there for you.
Speaker 6: But then that's where the ego comes in. Yes, the ego wants to be the savior, right and then and then if this person is not receiving the way that I'm trying to bring them salvation from their situation, then I get offended. But then who are we to impose our way on their process, versus.
Speaker 3: Saying, hey, I'm here.
Speaker 6: They didn't want to talk to me today, it's not because of me, it's because of what they're going through. And I'm going to be a good support system for them and give them the space that they need, versus allowing my ego to then say, well, if they don't want my help, then I'm not going to help them. Well, they maybe your help is your silence. Maybe that's your way you help, you know. So it's like taking the ego out and really trying to be present with the person in that moment.
Speaker 5: I was gonna say that was another church way to say just shut the hell up to.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, do you feel any pressure with your relationship because you are a guru people call you, or because you're you know, a relationship expert that you have to be perfect in your relationship because everybody points everything and it looks up to your relationship.
Speaker 3: No, well, I think people listen. The beautiful thing about what I what I do is I'm referred to it so many different things.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 6: It's like I was on Marriati first side as a relationship advisor, and people come to me for that. Obviously, I've written relationship books. You know, I'm known as a producer, I'm known as many different things. But to your question, no, I don't feel that pressure, you know at all, if anything, you know, I live the way I live, and I teach and from what I know or from what I'm experiencing, and and I don't feel the pressure to try to be something to somebody or like, oh I got to do it perfectly. I mean, you know, clearly you know that that has not been my experience. And that's okay, right, it's okay. I'd rather teach from a place of truth and what I've gone through than to feel the the artificial pressure of like, oh I got to do it all perfectly. Who does it perfectly?
Speaker 2: And I was going to ask, you know, in the church, especially to church, people feel like in all relationship people should stay together regardless, right, even if things aren't working, stay together.
Speaker 1: People always say, you know, people are so fast to let things go. When do you know it's a time the right time to let things go?
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, I think it depends on every situation. Every relationship is very different. I would encourage anyone to put themselves in a process. And what I mean by that is the first inkling that you get that oh I want to let this go. Don't follow that England right, do what you can do, therapy, life, coaching, counseling, reading, do what you can do to save it. And then you have to stay in touch with your spelf, yourself and your spirit and how do you feel? You know, and as you're going through this, you know, is there the possibility for oneness with this person? And if there is, fantastic and if there isn't let your process determine the outcome because in my experience, sometimes when we get angry about something, we are impulsive.
Speaker 3: And you just start to say, well this is not going to work.
Speaker 6: Well, hey, give it time, put a process around it, and then over time, see what's feeling persists, and then don't be afraid to face whatever reality that feeling reveals.
Speaker 5: Did it take a long time for you to get to this calmplace? Because like you're saying all these things like not being impulsive, but how do you not be impulsive when your feelings are involved?
Speaker 1: You know what I mean?
Speaker 6: Like, yeah, yeah, well look, I mean you got to look at the you know, for me, it's like, Okay, let me look at my past and when I've been impulsive and what came out of that, situations and circumstances that I wish I could have back, because I may have said something or done something that really wasn't in in alignment with my truth or who I really was. So for me, it's about like, all right, I don't want to be that. So okay, whatever is causing me anger before I act, let me pause and say, well, what in me is getting angry here? And I think that's the thing. A lot of times anger we don't realize is a secondary emotion. Right, So I'm gonna feel angry because I feel hurt, because I feel disregarded, I feel unseen. So if we just react on the anger, we may never get to the root of where the anger came from. So this has just come for me and my process of just wanting to learn and to heal and to go through all that I've been through and come through it in a way that one I can heal. That's the number one goal, right. Anything I'm sharing is because I go through this healing process. And the second thing is in this area of relationships and dating and love and marriage.
Speaker 3: It's so difficult. It's so hard, right, Like, let's just be honest.
Speaker 6: So as much as I can share about any tips or tools that someone may find helpful, I'm gonna do that.
Speaker 2: I was gonna ask, has you because you talk about hell, have you healed? Because I know your breakup was very public?
Speaker 3: Sure have you got a.
Speaker 1: Chance to heal and hear how you doing mentally?
Speaker 3: Mentally?
Speaker 6: I'm doing much better, you know, But the process to that, Like I can sit here before all of you and have this interview and be calm and introspective and all that, but that comes from a process, you know. I mean there are nights, you know, I'm crying myself to sleep, you know, there are moments when I've been angry. But I've allowed myself to feel whatever I felt in order to heal. Because in my experience, when I'm like not fake seeing what I'm feeling, then I'm trying to find something else to help me.
Speaker 3: Get through the pain.
Speaker 1: And who do you talk to?
Speaker 5: Wo?
Speaker 4: Man?
Speaker 6: I got man, listen. I got a therapist that I've been working with for years. I got a life coach that I've been working with. I have great friends, you know, in my life who have been very, very helpful to me, and they are there for me.
Speaker 3: Whenever I call. That's great.
Speaker 2: The toughest thing because you know, your spouse, your wife or your husband is usually your best friend that you can go to for anything. So when that person's not there, it's like that has to be probably one of the hardest things ever because it's like, do you still have that trust for all those people that you name? You know, because your spouse is usually somebody that you can tell your deekest, your deepest secrets to, whatever your insecurities are, they usually know, so that has to be difficult.
Speaker 6: I mean, there's listen, I would not wish divorce on anybody. It is one of the most difficult and painful things you can ever experience. So you're right, you know, like because then also it's like it's a weird thing.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 6: It's like you're used to being with somebody just on a friendship level every day, every day, and then you're like, I don't even talk to this person. It is the strangest, most difficult thing to navigate. And the only thing I can offer is take it one moment at a time, not even a day at a time.
Speaker 4: A moment, do you regret writing a book like The Weight wrote a book, The Weight powerful practice of finding the love of your life and the life you love?
Speaker 3: Sure, do you regret that?
Speaker 4: Or you gonna offer no, of.
Speaker 8: Course, listen, Okay, okay, give me the name of your first book again, Black privilege, Black privilege.
Speaker 7: Okay.
Speaker 6: So in ten years when that changes, when it searchs, you know, your perspective may shift. We're gonna come back and hit you so anyway. But my point is, of course, I don't regret that. You know, we wrote that book.
Speaker 4: It'll help somebody in there in that moment.
Speaker 6: Listen, the value of delayed gratification is always going to be a message that's going to help somebody. And we put that message into the world from a place of love, and that's where we were. And no, of course, And I think that's the challenge with life, to look in the rear view instead of the front view.
Speaker 5: But think that's crazy about breakups with your best friend. It's like you share everything with that person every single day, that the first person you call and you get good or bad news, and then when you break up, it's like the person is dead, but they're alive. They're still out there, but they're dead in your world. Do you, Megan still talk? Are you so young?
Speaker 6: We're still a man, of course, you know what I mean. The love for us has not gone away, you know, it's just it's just changed for them.
Speaker 5: It's so cute together, you know.
Speaker 7: I can't.
Speaker 4: I wanted to get to flame and hot before all of this, But since we're here. Does it upset you when you see her out and about with Jonathan ma.
Speaker 3: Just upset me? No, No, she's happy. That's a blessing.
Speaker 5: Well, you've done a lot of work.
Speaker 2: I need to be like that because I think most people be like, damn, I hope he doesn't get the next movie.
Speaker 1: I hope the next movie flops.
Speaker 7: A little bit.
Speaker 3: Here's the thing.
Speaker 6: Whatever, if that was the case, So if I had that perspective, whatever i'm putting out, that's what's coming back.
Speaker 3: So I'm not putting it.
Speaker 6: I'm I don't have any ill will and to anyone in that in that regard, because I don't have any will towards myself in that regard. So no, there's there's no hate. There's got to be some emotion, though.
Speaker 4: I don't know if it hated the right world or upset it the right world, but it happened.
Speaker 6: Something you feel Yeah, I mean I think that you know there are feelings, and I'll leave it at that.
Speaker 1: True himself.
Speaker 7: Indian Claudia.
Speaker 5: Over here, you know, we're trying to get dropped the block of a little bit like come on, tell us the real tell us how mad you that.
Speaker 7: His career? Don't get that movie?
Speaker 1: Another one got.
Speaker 3: Pulled from you?
Speaker 4: Over here, let's let's saw some Flaming because I am very interested in this movie. Because what what made you want to tell the story of Richard Montanez. Yes, he's the creator of.
Speaker 6: The Flaming Yeah, he's the driving force behind the success of it. So about seven years ago, a friend of mine text me and said, hey, I have your next movie, and I said, okay, I mean I didn't really think much of it because pretty much everybody says that, and I had said for final since he reached out, I'll take the meeting. So the meeting was with Richard Montagne's and his wife Judy, and at the time Richard was one of the top executives working for Fredo lay and Pepsi and I just said, tell me your story and he told me how he started as a janitor working for fred Dolay. You know, he's the son of a Mexican immigrant, and this job was a great job for him, you know, because it was a chance for him to provide for his family, he said, But as he was doing the job, he knew that there was more for him and that the job. The factory started losing jobs, and he wanted to save jobs. And he said, this company does not appeal to my people, you know, Mexican American community ins outher in California. He said, if there was a spicy product and I could market it to my community, it would save jobs at the factory. And so the CEO gave him a shot to take the Flaming Hot product and market it to his community. And his genius of doing that is ultimately what led to what we now know is Flaming Hot in the success of the brand, it's a billion dollar brand. He went from me the janitor becoming one of the top executives at the company. He's referred to as the godfather of Latino marketing. And at the end of the meeting, I just said, yes, I will, I will make your movie.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 6: I didn't know how I was going to do it, but I was so inspired and motivated by his story. Here he was a janitor and becomes one of the top executives in corporate America. And that story was so inspirational to me. That's why I wanted to do it.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 6: I mean, I'm in Hollywood. I produce movies specifically for the purpose of inspiration.
Speaker 2: You usually don't hear that because usually they take the janitor's ideal, or they take somebody on a totem pole, let's load their idea, and they never get the credit, they never get the money, they never get the accolades. But you're saying that this guy got the accolades, he got the money, and he got what he was supposed to get for creating that because you don't use it.
Speaker 3: Don't hear that. I mean, think about it. He was there at the company for forty two years.
Speaker 4: Oh, he knew all the dirt, he knew all about it.
Speaker 7: I'm to take this from you, right, but.
Speaker 6: But no, he listened. His success is unprecedented. It's amazing. And to be able to do this story and tell this true story. I mean, you know, looks Hollywood, people love superhero movies in Hollywood.
Speaker 3: I get it.
Speaker 6: But the thing about superhero movies is you can't put on a suit of iron and fly through New York and save.
Speaker 3: But you can't do it.
Speaker 6: But you can be like Richard having a harder service, you know, having a vision, wanting to provide for your family, wanting to provide for your company and find success. And that's why I'm so excited about the movie because you would never think that a product like flaming hot Cheetos has something inspirational or value behind it.
Speaker 4: How did this movie tie into your faith? Because it's not like it's hot Cheetos for Christ.
Speaker 3: Cheatos, Right, that's the new support group.
Speaker 7: In the film.
Speaker 6: I mean, well first and forebos, you know, just on a macro level. You know, my father died when I was nine years old of a heart attack when he was thirty six, and it was a combination of my mom didn't have money for therapy, so it was a combination of going to church and watching entertainment that became my therapy. And as I navigated movies like you know, Color Purple and Back to the Future and Rock, I was like, listen, if these movies aren't inspiring me, I want to go to Hollywood and produce movies that can inspire others. So just the mere fact that here I am in Hollywood, you know, producing inspiration of movies. That's a testament to my faith. Just the fact that the movie happened, and what I intended to do when I came to Hollywood, you know, twenty seven years ago, I'm currently doing. And then when you see the movie, Richard goes to a journey of faith, you know, and which is very similar to his real journey of faith where he starts as a you know, non believer, doesn't see the value in it, and then by the end he understands the value of prayer and what it means to have a relationship with God. So it's there, but it's not something that we lead with. We just let people discover when they see the film.
Speaker 4: Being a film and TV producer, but also being de von Franklin, you know, the spiritual leader, do people feel like, you know, I'm not even gonna bring this project to him because this may not be his speed?
Speaker 6: Sure, you know what I mean, you know, it's not. Before becoming a producer, I was an executive for Columbia Pictures, which is a division of Sony Pictures for ten years, and a lot of times people would not bring me things if they weren't if they thought, oh, well, you know, he's the black executive or he's the Christian executive, and I'm not going to bring him something that isn't black or Christian.
Speaker 3: And so for me, I'm like, it's cool. You know what what people bring me is what they bring me.
Speaker 6: But at the end of the day, I'm about creating my own you know, even as an executive, I created my own films. I mean films, you know, like Jumping the Broom and Heaven Is for Real. I mean those are movies that I champion and put together on my own. So even with Flame and Hot, I met Richard in a meeting and I told him I was going to do his movie. So you know, I found a writer, I sold it to a studio, I developed the script, I hired even Longoria to direct it. I produced the film and now out marketing the film. So you know, on some level, there are people that will make a judgment about who I am, and that's okay. My thing is I'm not going to rest on their judgment. I'm going to create my own opportunities.
Speaker 5: So you know, you're not against movies that come to that don't have anything to do with fake No, of course, not not at all. So someone camedy Field like a movie that's like totally off brand, You're okay with that.
Speaker 6: Well, you know, off brand just depends on if I connect to it. So if I connect to it, it's not off brand.
Speaker 5: But you're not doing like the Human Center p.
Speaker 3: Part four.
Speaker 7: You know, I don't think so, but you never know.
Speaker 3: If there's something inspirational, it's terrible.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, I hasn't been since the strike, you know.
Speaker 6: What the strike, everything's been kind of very calm, you know. I mean, it's kind of like one of those things where it's like the whole industry is navigating and waiting to see how it works out. So all we can do is just wait, you know. The DGA just you know, signed, and I think they're going to start. The studios are going to negotiate and negotiate with SAG, and then my hope is that you know, the writers get what they're asking for, and that you know, cooler heads prevail and we can all get back to the business of making entertainment.
Speaker 3: Though sit again.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Well, that's just more of like giving the board the authorization to go to strike if a strike is necessary. It doesn't mean that they're actually going to show.
Speaker 5: Last time, I did so much damage to Los Angeles in the industry. Yeah, a lot of people, like outside of the acting world, the vendors and everybody else, a lot of people were damaged financially from the strike.
Speaker 3: Yeah. No, I mean, this is this is a fact. I mean, and the longer it goes, the greater potential for that. Uh true.
Speaker 6: So my hope in prayer is that ultimately gets resolved and everybody feels like they got what they needed out of it.
Speaker 5: It's got to be done, though. Yeah, a lot of things that have changed with streaming and everything in the industry. A lot of people are not getting the money they together.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, And what's your thought on chat, GPT and everybody using that to create scripts and to do so many different things.
Speaker 6: You know, It's it's one of those areas that I'm still learning about in terms of understanding, you know, the ethics and how writers perceive it and understanding that you know, from what I've been from what I the writers I've talked to, They're like, well, chat GPT can't create on its own. It's going to you know, survey what's already been created to then create, and I think that's where the issue comes in. So I think it's something that we've got to look at. We need to first of all be educated on it, but look at it, because you know, that would be very detrimental, you know, to writers who have spent their life, you know, creating, and then to have a technology that uses their creation to create, but then they aren't compensated for that.
Speaker 4: I think it's the double I don't think it's of God at all.
Speaker 3: Is that right.
Speaker 4: That's what I've been saying. I just don't. I just don't. I think it's gonna cause more harm than good. And I think forget you know, writing scripts and stuff. What if you know, somebody lets you hear a phone call of somebody that you love talking crazy about you, and you know it's them and another person that you know, and you walk in the room five minutes after hearing.
Speaker 3: That call, right right, right, right, right, Yeah, that's a scenario.
Speaker 4: Even what if a world leader you know, threatens another world leader via AI and it's not even real by the time these world leaders figure out.
Speaker 1: You know that's not already since it might be on.
Speaker 7: We don't know, is what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: I don't we have enough confusion right now.
Speaker 4: Absolutely.
Speaker 5: The thing is, no one knows what's real or fake anymore across the board in all areas.
Speaker 4: It's going to be literate entering the chat. It's going to obliterate the lines of reality and fantasy. Right now they're blurred.
Speaker 5: This is going to obliterate it and lose jobs and cost a lot of jobs.
Speaker 4: Man, what was your experience with flaming hot Cheetos before this movie? Did you like them?
Speaker 3: I literally had no experience with them. I knew of them, but I never had one.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, I mean, now I've had too many then I want to I want to share.
Speaker 6: I mean, but like I, once I heard his story and once we actually set up the pitch, I mean, sold the pitch to Searchlight, I was like, yo, I gotta get these, I gotta try them. And so as I tried them, I was like, oh, I get it now, They're they're pretty amazing.
Speaker 4: And you were saying that as you was on the toilet as an adult, you're not supposed to be eat.
Speaker 3: I know, but man, listen.
Speaker 6: When we made the movie, there was like we had to recreate the frido Let factory, and so we shot the film in Albuquerque, New Mexico, and uh and so I'll never forget. We were on set the first day that we were shooting the scene with the Cheetos coming out, flaming Cheto's coming out of the factory. And there I am behind the camera, you know, eating the Cheetos, and I said, this is crazy, but they're I mean, they are addictive, and so I just had to stop. I said, you know what, I love this product. I'm gonna eat it once in a while, but I'm going to stop. But I do hope that families when they streamed the film, because this is the first movie in the history of Disney that is going to be on Hulu and Disney Plus at the same time. It's the first movie that they've put on both platforms. So I'm hoping that families will be eating flaming a Cheetos and Dorito's and all the popcorn and all that while they watched the movie, because I think, you know, it just kind of makes the experience that much better.
Speaker 2: And how was Pepsi and Freedo lay where they involved with the process, so they cool with everything.
Speaker 6: You know, I wouldn't say they were involved, but you know we definitely have you know, kept the lines of communication open, and you know they've seen the movie and you know, are supportive of the film. So you know, it's been a good relationship that I've been been navigating for years now, probably about four or five years.
Speaker 4: Why I give them all that free product plicement, I mean, is it a lot of free product placemen?
Speaker 6: Well, and in theory, I mean, you know this is you know, definitely going to I would believe, get people to want to, you know, use the product. But it wasn't so much about free product placement. It was about telling.
Speaker 3: Richard's story, you know.
Speaker 6: And because Richard's story was so amazing and inspirational and motivational. If the cost of doing Richard's story was a promotion for Cheetoh's and Pepsi Code and so bit, because his story was certainly worth being told.
Speaker 4: Why, Eva Longoria Man.
Speaker 6: Because Eva, you know, this is the testament when you talk about faith. So I had the script and I was looking for a director. I sent the script out to twenty directors twelve directors came in to me, the most directors I've ever had on any project I've done, even when I was an executive and I did not know Eva. I got the call from her agent, and her agent said, hey, you know, I know you're looking for a director on Flaming Hot. I want you to meet Eva Longoria. And I was like, well, what part does she want to play? And She's like, no, no, she doesn't want to be in the movie. She wants to direct the movie. And I'm like, okay, well has she directed a movie before, and then she was like, well, no, she hasn't directed a movie, but she directed television. I said, well, look, I'm not going to pass up a chance to meet Evia Longoria, so yeah, have her come in. So I didn't have any expectations. So Eva walks in, you know, she's wearing her glasses, and she has a script in a binder and almost every page of the script is dog here. And for about two hours she starts telling me, you know, how she's how she would want to fix the movie and what she would want to do to elevate it to make it more authentic. I didn't even know at the time until then that she has a master's in Chicano studies and her confidence in her clarity of what she wanted to do in her vision. When we finished the meeting, I said, the director just showed up. And then I called the studio and I said, look, I found our director. And they said who, I said, Eva Longoria. They were like, well, has she directed a movie? I said no, I said, but just because she hasn't directed a movie does not mean she's.
Speaker 3: Not the director.
Speaker 6: Because even didn't come in in the room to meet with me asking for a job, she operated as if she had the job. And so I said, great, this is our director. And I said to the studio, I said, listen, I'm going to bring her in. I'll bring you some other options, but I'm telling you she's the director. And Eva put together this brilliant, you know, presentation about what she wanted to do with the film, and we took her in. I took her into the studio and they and she blew them away and they agreed. They said she's the director and everything that she said she wanted to do from that first meeting, that director presentation is everything that she did. And I think so often, you know, especially in Hollywood, opportunity is not distributed equally, and the movie covers that. And so the idea that we would hold hold against her, if I held it against her or the business held it against it, she had directed a movie, we wouldn't have a great film, versus saying, well, just because you haven't done it doesn't mean you can't do it, and let's put some process around you if you have the vision and the tenacity and the confidence to do it. So this movie shows you know that not only is she a brilliant director, but all of us, when given the right opportunity, can do more with it than others things.
Speaker 5: Well, that's parallel with Richard's story, right, very much, so exactly exactly amazing.
Speaker 4: How much is her being evil Longoria helped though, because if a director comes in there with that same energy, you know, that same ambition, but she's not evil Longoria, you can still look at her the same or him.
Speaker 3: I think absolutely.
Speaker 6: I always make the decision about who's who the director is based upon the process, you know. I mean this is something you know, I basically learned how to make movies in part by working with Will Smith. And you know, he's been a mentor and a fan for years, and a lot of the movie making process and the story making process and just committing to the process I learned from him, right. His thing is like, look, if you commit to the process, the process will lead you to six says. And so when it comes to a director on all the films that I've made, I do that and I don't. I don't say oh just because because see if I if I were to to say oh, because it's Eva Longoria, then that's gonna mean filling the blank. Then I could do the story of disservice in the movie A Disservice. So for me, I commit to the process. If another director showed up and that's who they were, and the process revealed that that was the director, that's the director. So for me, it just wasn't added value that she happened to be Eva Longoria in that you know, she's a global superstar and you know a beauty icon and all of those things were just added value, But they weren't the reason the decision was made.
Speaker 5: Was that abnormal for a director or potential director to come in with all those pages marked like that? Was that impressive?
Speaker 6: Was that the part that it was it was impressive. I was like, I was impressed and I was depressed at the same time. Right, I'm like, wait a minute, yes, at that time, I've been working on the script for years, and so you know, she comes in.
Speaker 3: It's like, well this, this could be different, and this could be changing, and so on one level, I was like, man, but she was right. But she was right, she was right, she was right.
Speaker 6: I can't I cannot knock either. And working with her has been amazing, I mean, just awesome.
Speaker 4: Have you done your passion project yet? What is your fashion project?
Speaker 6: If you haven't, you know, this is I mean, I would say all of the movies that I've done so far have been, you know, passion projects, because there's so much passion required that not only sell a film, but to get a film made. Every film that gets made in Hollywood is a miracle and if me as a producer, if I'm not passionate, it cannot happen. So, you know, I would say the Flaming Hot is probably, you know, the so far, you know, the greatest example of my passion because I'm so passionate about using entertainment to uplift and inspire people and having a movie like this allows for that to happen, you know, But I don't know if I've made my quote unquote, you know, signature passion film yet.
Speaker 3: You know, you know, i'd listen.
Speaker 6: I'm a huge Muhammad Ali fan, you know, and I would love to find a way into his story and do a movie on his life. And what that would look like I don't know yet, but that's definitely something when I think of the type of films I would like to do.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 6: You know, He's just a figure that always resonates with me and someone I continue to draw inspiration from, and so to do a movie on his life would be amazing.
Speaker 1: It So when is the movie? When can people see this movie?
Speaker 3: June ninth, ju Knife.
Speaker 1: It's available BT Plus and Amazon Prime.
Speaker 2: Right no, no, no, this is on Disney Plus and Hulu Disney Plus yeah, yeah, yeah Plus and Hulu BT Plus.
Speaker 6: I have a yeah, I have a couple of projects with them. My next season two of Kingdom Business, which is the show I executive produced with Kirk Franklin and doctor Holly Carter, will be on BT plus end of this year. And then I'm actually acting in a film uh that will be on b ET and I think BT plus by the end of this year.
Speaker 4: All right, are you going to write about everything that you've been through your divorce and everything else? Like, isn't that a story you're still processing?
Speaker 6: You know, I would say it's I'm still processing it. You know, I don't know that I would ever do a book on divorce.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 6: The next book I'm working on is called One of One, which is the Truth about being single and uh. And the idea you know behind that book is that we're all single. Some may be in a couple, some may not be, but so often you if I don't know how to a couple is made up of two good singles, and the couple is only as strong as the singles that make it up. And if I don't know how to be one with myself, how can I learn to be one with another?
Speaker 4: And so.
Speaker 6: The book is about, you know, there's nothing wrong with being single. You got to get rid of the stigma because even when you're with someone, you're still single and you're still an individual.
Speaker 5: You seem like such a good human. I have so much work to do in myself when I need her.
Speaker 7: I don't say that again. We all got work.
Speaker 4: No what he said is we don't talk about that enough because it's always just pressure. Be a union, be a union. When you get married, you have to be one.
Speaker 6: But here's again, if I don't, if I have not been practicing being one with myself, if I have not been practicing being loving with myself, if I have not been practicing giving myself grace and space, it's very hard for me to be loving with another. It's very hard for me to give that person grace and space. It's very hard for me to let them be who they are if I don't give myself the freedom to be who I am. So this idea of being one of one is to say I am one of one, I am valued, I'm worthy. I need to get to know who I am and give the process of discovery the same process I would give in a relationship, because in my experience, so often when people are traditionally single, they squander that period of time looking for somebody, and they falsely believe if I'm in a relationship, my life will be better. If I'm in a relationship, I'll be happier. But if you are not happy without someone, I guarantee you you won't be happy with someone because the practice of happiness has to be self created. People can enhance our happiness, they can make a contribution, but we have to be the creators of it. And I think so often in relationships one of the reasons why they don't work is because we overburn the relationship. We want the relationship to do something it was never designed to do, which is to do something for us that we don't do for ourselves. And so whenever win a relationship, let's say I'm not being loving, or let's just say my happiness is dependent on my partner. Even though they consciously may not be aware of it, subconsciously they know it and they reject it like no, no, I'm not your source. I can't be your source. God can only be your source. Because the day that I make you happy, the next day I'm gonna make you mad. So if I allow someone the power to control my happiness, not only will I be manipulated, but I actually will never be happy. So this book one of one is really about unpacking what does it mean to be happy? What does it mean to you know, understand your value? And then how can you apply that to love, relationships, career, so on and so forth.
Speaker 3: Because at the.
Speaker 6: End of the day, we're all single, right coming to this earth single, We're gonna die single. If I want to be in a great couple, there's nothing wrong with it. But let me be a great single.
Speaker 4: Claud you know you you talking about how commedy is. That's one of the reasons why. Because when you start going to therapy and you start doing the work on yourself, yes, sir, you realize whatever anybody else got going on on that nothing to do with you.
Speaker 3: That's right, just projection, that's it, you know what I mean. Absolutely, it sounds.
Speaker 5: A complete yourself instead of looking for the relationship to complete your life.
Speaker 6: Well, that's a myth, and that's what people are so depressed, this idea of like, oh you complete me.
Speaker 1: No, that's the thing actually it is.
Speaker 3: It's like, no, I don't want to complete you because I don't even know. I can't do that. I don't have the power to complete you. Only God and you can do that work.
Speaker 6: And so the idea is that if you have two people that know how to be one with each other and then they come together, the process of becoming one. Doesn't mean it won't be difficult, but it will be that much easier because they understand what that means. And so for me, I really want to empower more individuals, specifically those that identify as being traditionally single, to own this period of time.
Speaker 3: There's nothing wrong with you. Don't squander it looking for someone, look for yourself, find yourself.
Speaker 6: And if you never get into a relationship, that's not an indictment that something's wrong with you at all. A relationship status has nothing to do with whether you're lovable or not. Love yourself and let that be enough. And so this book is about that. And then if you are in a relationship, I think this book will enhance you know, being in a relationship because in a relationship we try to rob somebody of their individuality at times, and a great relationship will preserve individuality, not take it that would happen in your marriage. No, I wouldn't say that. I wouldn't say that.
Speaker 4: Did you learn this after the fact?
Speaker 6: I would say that everything that I write about is a culmination of what I've learned in life, not specific to one experience, but all the experiences. And so for me, you know, being able to talk about this book, you know and have this concept of the book.
Speaker 3: It was ironic.
Speaker 6: It was like becoming traditionally single again then taught me what it means to be single and the importance of recognizing that we're single, even if we're in a relationship or we're married, means that I have to cultivate that individuality and then bring that individuality to whomever I'm with, whomever I partner with. And that's not something I learned exclusively from the marriage. That's just something I've learned from life experience.
Speaker 1: Would you get married again?
Speaker 3: Absolutely?
Speaker 4: One thing I love about the new faith leaders like yourself, say Roberts, you know, Tory Roberts. Yeah, y'all aren't y'all don't act perfect? No, you know, And that's why I love the bishop too.
Speaker 3: No, not at all.
Speaker 4: It's perfect. Do you think that is something that like, you know, hurt the church coming up, you know, and why people probably screw away from religion at one point, because I feel like a lot of people more people coming back sure to the word and coming back to faith because y'all are not appearing perfect.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, you know, I think grow I mean, I've been in the church my whole life, so you know, growing up in the church. I think that there was a premium put on not being vulnerable. There was a premium put on presentation. And I think that that, you know, on some level, even though it may have worked, and I say that in quotation marks, I think it did damage because you know, then we go through life performing and presenting instead of living. And so, you know, I think again, you know, I mean, I'm Pastor Sarah and Pastor Terrea, my brother, and my sister, and you know, known bishop for you know, almost twenty years.
Speaker 3: So that's his family.
Speaker 6: And I think that there is you know, desire to just be truthful and to be transparent and to be honest and to leave from that place and this thing called life. None of us have it figured out. It's an experience, even God. None of us have God figured out. God is beyond our comprehension. And so we do the very best that we can do. I do the best I can do to articulate concepts, and that are on some level, it's how can you even.
Speaker 3: Articulate who God is?
Speaker 6: And do that from a place of humility, right like, it's not listen, what I've learned through this experience and what I've learned through you know, the divorces, Like, listen, I'm not trying to get through life perfectly.
Speaker 3: I just want to get through life truthfully.
Speaker 5: I appreciate that because I was one of the people definitely turned off by the seemingly the standard of perfection. And if you feel like you're a flawed individual, which we all are, but a lot of people present like they weren't, especially in the church, how could you even feel like you could be amongst those people knowing the flaws you have, right, And then people in the church are not admitting to anything. So we appreciate when you can say I've been through this, I've done this wrong.
Speaker 4: We like it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, thank you, no, And it's I think it's important, and I think it's okay, right, I mean, flaws are what make the diamond valuable, and flaws are what make us valuable. Flaws what make us one of one. And it's okay, Like, Hey, I'm one of one and I have my challenges and that's all right, Like, and I don't know that if I hadn't gone through what I've gone through, that I would have the appreciation I have for me, you know, And just to say, hey, you know what, devine, Hey, you're on your journey, you're figuring it out. You know, you've given yourself the grace and space to heal and to process all you've been through and along the way, you know, I get a chance to share what I'm learning and for those that benefits great.
Speaker 5: What do you think your biggest flaws?
Speaker 3: You know what I think my biggest flaw is really I tend to be very very hard on myself. Yeah, you're right.
Speaker 6: I mean, you know, it's just that idea of like I want to do everything right, and I want to do everything perfect, and you know, going back to when I was a kid, like just this idea of you know, achieving my way and not feeling my way and then beating myself up if I didn't achieve it at a certain level or if I missed the mark or I didn't get a certain grade, and then bringing that into my career. And so that's one of the flaws that I work on, which is giving myself grace and space instead of talking to myself in a way that I would never allow others to talk to myself in a positive way.
Speaker 3: Gotcha, Hey, we're good. You're good. You're good.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 3: Now this is all crazy, that's all I talking to myself. You're good bro, you good man. Come on man, you's up, relaxed. It went the way it was supposed to go. You're right where you need to be. Chill man, you cool like.
Speaker 6: That's how I deal with my flaw, because that flaw of criticism. You're not good enough, You're you're never.
Speaker 3: Gonna make it. You're not as good as this person.
Speaker 6: That voice in me has been one of the loudest voices, and I've just been learning in this season to rewrite that script for that voice so that it's more productive instead of destructive.
Speaker 4: My good sister, Rachel Edwards, she's actually the show runner for the BT show. She was sure running for my late night show. Whenever I get into my funks and I start, you know, talking bad about myself, She'll say, don't talk to my friend like that.
Speaker 3: Yes, I love it, does it really really does.
Speaker 6: Don't talk to my friend like that talking about and the idea that she would reference you and who you are as her friend. Then it makes you think, well, am I being a friend to myself?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 6: So if this person can acknowledge what type of friend I am, can I even acknowledge the friend I am to me.
Speaker 5: Why why it's so hard for us to be good to ourselves sometimes? And sometimes we're better to other people than we are to ourselves.
Speaker 6: But I think it's because we've been conditioned to not feel good by oursel, not when I say, by ourselves. Within ourselves, you got to go to the right school, you got to get the right job, you got to marry the right person. You gotta live in the right neighborhood, you gotta drive the right car, you got to go to the right church.
Speaker 3: You have to be a part of the right social group. And then when you do all of this, you will be happy. It's not true. It's not true.
Speaker 6: So I think a lot of times we don't find that happiness within ourselves. We don't look in the mirror and love who looks back at us, and as a result, we go on this search for things that never fulfill us. Versus saying I'm gonna love me, I'm gonna like me, I'm gonna be happy regardless if I got a dollar, a million dollars, I'm gonna be happy, and I'm gonna let that happiness come through because I don't think it takes a lot to be happy. If anything things block our happiness, and I think the key is learning to love who we are so much and find peace in it that we let that happiness out and we don't let any false idea block what is already natural to us, which is to be happy. Babies have no problem being happy. They coming to the earth, they're happy, right like, that's the natural disbision of baby. That's what makes them so magical. It's as we get older these things block us because we buy into these false ideas, Oh I need all these things to be happy, and and that's just not true.
Speaker 4: I know, you got to go. But you know, we're all born in the nineteen hundred, so it was much easier back then to give ourselves positive self talk. But now when you got social media, yep, and you got so many people offering their opinions, when people come with these narratives, does that affect you in any way?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 6: I'm sure it does, right like you know, And I think the thing about social is that it's a powerful tool, but it's something that has to be managed like anything else. And so part of the management for me is you know, taking messages in and seeing what's out there, but managing how much time I spend there because at a lot of times. You know, one of my good friends, Chrissy Metch she told me to saying, you know, compare and despair, and if I'm spending too much time on social media, I indvertently find myself in comparison mode and that's just not healthy for my mental health. So I do think you can navigate social media successfully, and I just try to manage how much time that I'm on it. And again it goes back to that voice. So if I'm seeing something and I say, wait a minute, I want that opportunity, You're why didn't that happen?
Speaker 3: Devaney right where you need to be.
Speaker 6: You're good, It's all right, bless that person, you know what I mean, Like instead of being like, oh I want that, that's cool, but like have a positive attitude about it. But it only comes from me because I'm not on it all the time all day and really give myself a chance to experience it and then step back and experience life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we need you to end with a prayer. Brother, Oh I would love you.
Speaker 3: That would be amazing.
Speaker 6: Dear heavenly Father, We thank you to the Lord right now for anyone listening to this prayer, Dear Lord, we just thank you to the Lord for Claudia, We thank you for dj Envy, we thank you for Charlemagne. First and foremost, that you are using their voices to uplift and inspire the culture. Dear Lord, I pray right now for each of them, is they navigate this show and all the things you're bringing to them, I pray that they would have the confidence of you and to know that you are with them every step of the way. And I pray you would guide them and keep them in ways that they can't even imagine. I pray right now also for anyone listening to this or watching this, this is a divine appointment. You're not watching or listening by accident. You're watching and listening because there's a plan and a purpose for your life. I pray that you would have the courage and the confidence to pursue it, even as you experience conflict. Conflict is what makes your story great. I pray that you would know that you are great. I pray you look in the mirror and you love who looks back at you. I pray the next time you pick up the phone to take a selfie that you would pause and acknowledge the love that looks back at you in your phone. If you're listening to this, prayers because you're blessed, you're ordained, and you're destined, and the name of Jesus, I pray respecting all religions.
Speaker 3: Amen.
Speaker 1: Amen, Yeah, you have me.
Speaker 3: I appreciate you for joining us shore.
Speaker 4: You check out Flaming Hot on Journey plus, June NiFe that's.
Speaker 1: Jusy plus and Hulu that's right plus in Hulu. All right, it's the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 3: Good morning, Thank you, brother, thank you, appreciate you.
Speaker 5: I almost want to be cured of my gambling problem though.
Speaker 1: Oh wait, we just need to sit for one more one more second. Oh yeah, all right, will keep a lock.
Speaker 7: We got more with d von Franklin.
Speaker 1: When we come back. It's the Breakfast Club on b ET. Don't go anywhere. We got more with von Franklin. When we come back. It's the Breakfast Club on b ET.
Speaker 7: Welcome back.
Speaker 1: Now let's get into our interview with Devon Franklin. It's the Breakfast Club on bt.
Speaker 4: ODO.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's do it.
Speaker 1: That was great, right, call at ten?
Speaker 4: Yeah, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 7: All right,