Speaker 1: It's brooken Jeffrey in the morning, and can we talk about that awkward moment when a zombie hungry for brains walks right by you. It doesn't even glance in your direction. It's rude, is what it is.
Speaker 2: It's a judging.
Speaker 1: It's how I feel when you guys don't say care during this segment. Care don't care? Where I read a catchy headline. See if my co hosts want to hear about it. Let's get into your first headline. Something crazy is happening for the first time ever in downtown Manhattan, and it's got people saying, Hey, I'm driving here, careen, don't care.
Speaker 2: I care just because of the terrible accent.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's we're pretty spot on. That is kind of rude. But it all started back in two thousand and seven when the mayor of New York City proposed a landmark program that people laughed at. Now, more than a decade later, it's actually coming true. Where if you want to drive through downtown Manhattan, not over a bridge or through a tunnel or anything like that, just drive down there regular streets. Yeah, you will be charged a toll. What they're calling it congestion pricing. Whoa, And it's the first program of its kind in North America.
Speaker 2: Is there like a certain street or is it any streets?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: When does the toll take effect?
Speaker 1: It happens during peak driving hours. If you're going to work. Starting next spring, you could be charged anywhere from nine dollars to twenty three dollars just to drive down Fifth Avenue day.
Speaker 2: WHOA, which people, Oh my god, don't park your car there.
Speaker 1: I mean, you know, it sounds ridiculous, but right now, each day, seven hundred thousand cars, taxis and trucks pour into Lower Manhattan, one of the busiest areas in the entire world, and it's one of the worst places for gridlock in the country.
Speaker 3: I mean, but honestly, like Jeffrey and I were just there in New York City and I was thinking to myself, why would anyone want to drive here? Yeah, there's so much public transportation, and all the cars do is sit and huk.
Speaker 1: The public buses are always late, that's how bad it is. And they ask to make New Yorkers lose one hundred and seventeen hours a year on average just sitting in traffic day. They're hoping street tolls will help cut down on that. London actually tried this strategy twenty years ago and congestion dropped by thirty percent. And in Stockholm, Sweden, they tried this in two thousand and seven and children's asthma visits fell by fifty percent because of the reduction and emissions alone.
Speaker 2: Wow, so we're just now jumping on the bandwagon here as well.
Speaker 1: Los Angeles is going to be next.
Speaker 2: Oh mans, let's.
Speaker 1: Go to your next one. It's official, the most bizarre thing ever discovered in a house's crawl space.
Speaker 2: I care my dad has spent so much time in crawl space as I care for him. Just for fun up there, Electrician.
Speaker 1: Oh that means yeah yeah. A guy in California named John Reyes was cleaning out the home of his late father in law when he discovered something fairly odd in the crawl space. He reached in and pulled out a big bag full of coins. He looked inside.
Speaker 2: That's amazing.
Speaker 1: They were all pennies. Oh okay, So reached in again, pulled out another bag, and another and another one million pennies later.
Speaker 2: No, wait, one hundred. How much money is that?
Speaker 1: It's ten thousand dollars, one million pennies. Later, John was like, what am I supposed to do with all these?
Speaker 2: You go to the grocery store where they do that coin.
Speaker 1: Chase start and can't do coinstar because they charge you eight percent.
Speaker 2: Okay, you take him to the bank and make him counting for you.
Speaker 1: But he was freaked out because they were stuck behind the wall in crates and boxes and dozens and dozens of bank bags just full of pennies. Here's a photo of it. Oh my, But apparently John's father in law, backers younger days, had a habit of collecting copper pennies, hoping they'd appreciate in value over time. So with one million pennies, like I said, valued around ten thousand dollars, and they reached out to a local bank. The bank refused to take them.
Speaker 2: Oh the bank doesn't even want pennies. That's money.
Speaker 1: So John finally decided to put it up on the website offer up selling it for twenty five thousand dollars. It's like a collection. Yeah, now why more than double? He says. The value of this is in its uniqueness.
Speaker 2: Well there could be. I mean, we've heard stories like old pennies that are worth tons of money, but who wants to be worth more? Who's sifting through a million of them to find the one that's work.
Speaker 1: But it's been up for a few weeks and so far no one has learned it.
Speaker 2: Well, can you imagine the shipping on that.
Speaker 1: Oh God, let's se if you care about this one, what's coming to La the unhappy meal? And nobody wants it?
Speaker 2: Don't care, care, There's no such thing, Jeffrey, I care. I care.
Speaker 1: Months ago, in the Highland Park neighborhood of La there was a culinary who done it, and we talked about this on the show, where already paid for food was inexplicably arriving via Uber eats on the doorsteps of an entire neighborhood.
Speaker 2: I remember that guy and they they didn't know what to do with it. It was so much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, do you eat it? Do you complain about it? But it just kept coming, like sandwiches and spaghettis and meat loaf. It was happening for solid three weeks and then it just stopped. Okay, and nobody ever found out who it was from or why. But now something even more bizarre is happening to residents of the nearby Westwood Hills area.
Speaker 2: Okay, so different neighborhood, but not far a little bit nicer area.
Speaker 1: They're now getting dozens of unwonted orders of McDonald's French fries. The residents are calling it an unhappy meal, what with one neighbor receiving more than forty deliveries of fries and sausage mcgriddles every week.
Speaker 2: I gotta say those are going to reheat well though.
Speaker 1: But this time there's a theory for why it's happening. Oh. They believe it's the work of burglars sending food to sending food to wealthy houses to see if anybody's home.
Speaker 2: Really, I was just thinking it was a YouTuber who's trying to pull a funny break.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what I mean is, mister bees, We're gonna.
Speaker 2: Send a one hundred thousand doubles Brooke Fox's house.
Speaker 1: Why.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I just have a lot of money and I need to spend it.
Speaker 1: The burglar theory is interesting because they could just be in a car down the street with binoculars and they'll watch them leave the food at the door and ring the bell to see if anybody answers and if the food just stays on the doorstep, then that means they have the green light to break in.
Speaker 2: But why would they order forty rounds of fries to one house.
Speaker 1: They're just figuring it out.
Speaker 2: There's no break in.
Speaker 1: They're very patient criminals.
Speaker 2: Why do his guys love fries so much?
Speaker 1: They keep Others think it might be a credit card fraud situation with someone buying stuff to see if the order goes through, and then they'll use it for better things to purchase. A rep for Uber Eat says they're gonna.
Speaker 2: Investigate, all right, I like my YouTube idea.
Speaker 1: Finally, Jeff's joke of the day, Karen, don't care where do spiders look for health advice? Where WebM e.
Speaker 2: They're even scared going on there?
Speaker 1: That's scared. Okay, we got your phone tap coming up
Speaker 2: Brooke and Jeffrey in the morning.