Speaker 1: Mourning. Everybody is j n V.
Speaker 2: Charlamagne the God. We are to Breakfast Club. We got some special guests joining.
Speaker 1: Us this morning.
Speaker 2: Yes, indeed, we got Ryan Coogler and Peter Nicks.
Speaker 3: Welcome fellas, Thanks for having feeling feeling good, feeling good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, happy, Happy to be invite new documentary anthem.
Speaker 1: Yeah, man, I've long felt like the national anthem, like most things in America, need to be changed to represent the world we currently live in. Clearly y'all felt the same, which is which is why the doc.
Speaker 3: Was created, right absolutely, I mean, I think we're in a time right now where we're examining our identity, you know, searching for our identity, trying to express it in different ways, and there's a lot of collisions in how we express those identities, and that the moment felt right to to inquire and to go a little bit deeper on you know, the history of that song and also the opportunity to imagine what an anthem would be like for today that reflects the American story.
Speaker 2: What made you dive deep into the anthem? Right Because we're in school, you learn it, you don't really think much of it. This was very knowledgeable because it's where the origin came from. When you're a student, they don't teach you origin. They just say sing it, you know what I mean? So what made y'all dive deep into actually understanding learning and to even discuss this.
Speaker 3: I've been looking at a couple of projects that we're examining this collision between patriotism and protests, and obviously we're seeing it in the headlines every day. I've always wanted to make a music talk number one, and the Anthem seemed like a perfect stage to examine the American voice in the American the American story, and also this notion that music does bring us together and that maybe a project using music as an exploration of the American story could in some way reflect some idea of optimism in this difficult time that we're in right now.
Speaker 1: I'm learning that, you know. I guess stand up comedy is such an inspiration for creative minds like yourself, because Anthem seems to be rooted in a bit from Roy Woods Junior. And then y'all walked in and y'all said, y'all was out last night watching Chappelle and Chris Rock, So what is it about comedy that that sparks those seeds.
Speaker 4: I don't know. I think personally, I think like stand up.
Speaker 5: Is probably like the highest form of storytelling with like a high degree of difficulty, as you know, but it's also a forum where you can, you know, where you can ask you can ask questions and that and Roy is brilliant man, he was, he was he hosted our uh our after party. But that bit is that bit is kind of incredible, like like for some reason in that setting they can ask questions and kind of make, you know, kind of make criticisms playing, you know, And he was and he was asking you if if you know what you know it's based off it's based off of this you know, it's not even it's not even an American tune, not even American songs based off a British drinking So I didn't know that the film.
Speaker 2: That's said, it's so knowledge that we learned so much about the film. Yeah, and what made what made you be a part of this film?
Speaker 1: You don't is the stand upoint for us?
Speaker 5: We Yeah, I think I think standard like when you laugh, when you have a natural reaction, times just nervous, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Sometimes like man I can't believe this person just said this. You know, it was a lot of that last night.
Speaker 5: But but but but at the same time, like like oftentimes, it's like a it's like a recognition of something, you know what I mean, and someone storytelling and that and that and that bit is just it just leads, you know, if you watch the film, and leads right into you know, right into it, right into the story. How I got involved. Pete and I met uh in Oakland over ten years ago. I was making a film called Fruville. It was Fruitville then now it was Fruvilleland.
Speaker 1: Bro It all comes.
Speaker 5: Back though, shape I mean, I mean, pe got three movies about the actually four now about this about the Bay. He got a Steph Curry doc coming out next next month, the.
Speaker 1: Second greatest player of all time. But we'll talk about that later.
Speaker 3: Second we could talk.
Speaker 5: We could talk all that, man, I mean, you know, that's that's that's yeah, that's that's a nice ranking for him. But but but we met. We met then he was making a dog called The Waiting Room, which is about Highland Hospital, which is which is a you know, a massive hospital in East Oakland that has a Trauma Award you know. And it was actually the hospital where where Oscar Grant rest in peace, where he where he was born, in the hospital where where he passed away when he was murdered, and and we were trying to get access to that place, and so folks in San Francisco Film Society. It hooked me and Pete, Me and Pete up and we've been tight since. And in some years back, my wife is jamesey Evans and my partner called Hanyon, we started a company called Proximity Media and a few years after we started, we recruited Pete to come over and run non fiction for us. So, so he's been making films you know, you know, for for our company for some time now, and this is the first one that we've done in collaboration with Onyx.
Speaker 2: So I always like to ask people from the beginning, both of you, guys, Peter and Ryan, like, how did you get into film? For somebody out there right now listening, how was the start, what was the love, what was the first light bulb that said this is what I wanted to do? And how was that journey of getting into the game.
Speaker 3: I was like, I come from a big family. My mom is one of ten. Dad's one of eight, and we see big family reunions, lots of cousins running around. My uncle Ray had a video camera and he'd bring to the family reunions every summer, and I would take the camera and run around interview all my family members. I had a like kind of like you guys didn't have the King's Chairs, but the Pete Nick show. This little show and a clip from that is actually an autobiographical My first film was an autobiographical documentary about the impact that my addiction. I went to Howard University and fell into addiction. Sorry, and and my my film at the Howard Mecca.
Speaker 2: He went to the Howard.
Speaker 1: That's what I said, the Howard. I want to have this. You know.
Speaker 4: He got empathy. Get you.
Speaker 1: You went to Howard.
Speaker 3: Now I was with you on that. I was ready to go down the road.
Speaker 4: With you on that.
Speaker 3: But you know it was really you know my story. It's a story of a black family, middle class, upper middle class black family that dealt with things that were difficult to talk about. And I just from the very early age, was inspired by my own family story and felt that there was something there that I wasn't seeing heard and told and that really began began my journey as a storyteller. Later when I when I went to film school and had a choice to make my first film, it was to Look Within.
Speaker 1: I know that you probably should go watch the autobiographical DOCU did, But what was the addiction?
Speaker 3: Uh you name it? Like, depends on the day, depends my mood.
Speaker 1: Just got turned out in college to stay up.
Speaker 3: I was working at it was the late eighties, during the War on drugs. This is when we're rayfel Edmund Marion Barry. I was working at a club, the Fifth Column, and just got got sucked in the world. I was, you know, dealing with a lot of identity issues. And I think, you know, it's so interesting that I met Ryan eventually and his his process of storytelling looking at you know, the black story, the black family, the Black American story, and reframing that and in a powerful way is a bit of a kismet.
Speaker 1: That's so interesting because there's always a profile of what an attic looks like, you know, and somebody who was attending an HBCU probably wouldn't fit that profile, so to speak.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, one of the things I learned being at Howard was that being black being so many different things. It sort of like exploded my mind, you know, on that. And and we we we uh have these conceptions that that black in the media is you know, more flattened out into a two dimensional narrative. And so that that was also one of the things I wanted to bring into my storytelling.
Speaker 2: And you ryan, for people that don't know, how did I get into filmmak, how you got into filmmaking? What was the first light, boll What made you say this is what I want to do as a profession.
Speaker 4: That's a great question for me.
Speaker 5: I grew up in the I'm gonna say, I grew up in the Bay Area, playing football and going to school. I liked school. I liked football maybe a little bit more. Got a scholarship to go to a school called Saint Mary's College. And and this was in two thousand, two thousand and three. Very good basketball school, you know, but they had they had some some you know, they had football football.
Speaker 4: There as well, playing in D one Double A.
Speaker 5: And after my freshman season, they dropped their football program. And that same semester was like we were doing spring ball, and they dropped.
Speaker 4: That bomb on us.
Speaker 5: And and I was in an English class, like a creative writing class, talk about woman named Rosemary Graham, and she gave the first assignment for us to write about our most intense emotional experience. And I wrote about something that happened like a health issue that happened on my pop. Didn't think much about it, you know, turned it in and then she called me into her office hours and had like I went on one with me and was like, hey, you should think about writing screenplays, you know. And that was really like the first that was really like the first time and an adult recommended something like that. I thought it was a crazy recommendation.
Speaker 2: You've never been into it.
Speaker 5: You was just like, let me, I mean, look, looking back, I always it was always there, Like my family watched a lot of movies. That was how we would pastime. It was how we would communicate with each other, you know. And I've done a lot of self and now it's just since then, like a lot you know, like like a little bit of like what Peace talking about looking back, my parents came up from Auckland and they was and they was there when you know that time. Peace talking about how my parents was in the town and it wasn't much different. They were trying to They were trying to stay alive, man, you.
Speaker 4: Know, young young mary uh.
Speaker 5: And they would what they would do for entertainment is like, you know, go to Blockbuster and rent something and stay in the house. Had three sons that would keep us in the house. So that's what we would do, is I was. That was our culture, you know. And I always loved, always loved movies. You know, I would do like theater arts or whatever. If it was an elective, I'll take theater arts, you know what I'm saying. So it was always there. But her reading something that I wrote and making that making that suggestion was huge, man. And and then my wife. It was my girl at the time, you know, I told her about it. I was trying to write screenplays and Microsoft Word which is difficult, if y'all you'll ever tried to write a screenplay before because of the margins.
Speaker 4: And everything goof. Yeah. And then my my my.
Speaker 5: Wife, she she was on track scholarship at Present State.
Speaker 4: We bought to hand no money.
Speaker 5: She she squeezed our coins together and got me the software that you used, you know, to professionally write a screenplay, Final Drive. So once once she did that. You know, I was in there, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Well, you remember the first screenplay you wrote I Do Broke?
Speaker 4: I mean I remember all of them. I mean it was terrible, but it was it was about It was about. It was called story of a Dollar.
Speaker 5: It was about Ah, it was about twenty dollars bill that was getting passed around the bay.
Speaker 4: You know. So I told a bunch of like tall a bunch of.
Speaker 5: Little stories based on that people wore write on the dot on the money. It sounded crazy now, right because everything digitally, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: But that was Chris Rock get a sketch like that once? Oh yeah, Chris Rock.
Speaker 5: Yea, yeah, yeah yeah so so so it was this was like, you know, yeah, this was like it's a common you know, it's a common idea, you know what I mean, like an inanimate object that's getting that's getting moved around.
Speaker 4: To tell stories to that.
Speaker 5: But when I was you know, I was seventeen, man, I was like, yea, this is the most creative shit ever.
Speaker 4: You know, you know.
Speaker 2: When did you both know? When did you both know what was gonna be a profession?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 2: Because I'm sure at one time you thought you're gonna play football in the league, you know what I mean. I'm sure one time you thought you were gonna do something else. When did y'all know, like this is a profession?
Speaker 3: Well, I'll tell you the time when I knew this one had a profession was before I saw Fruit feil station. I saw a film he did called Locks, which which to this day is one of the most beautiful expressions of character and humanity that that I've seen. And it was like it was like a silent film almost, and I knew that this was a special you know, you know, storyteller. And then that was sort of what what drew me? Drew me to Ryan? And and what.
Speaker 4: Was your question?
Speaker 2: I would say, when did you know it was going to be a profession. You know, everybody wants to be a football player, basketball play, everybody has that dream. But when you say, no, this is my calling.
Speaker 3: While I was at Howard, I was on the eleven year planet Howard. It was interrupted by my stay with the federal government. When I when I got out, you know, I I kind of bounced around in d c. For for a couple of years. Met my wife Vanna in ninety four, Uh, sort of got got things on track and started. I had to pick a minor, and I was so I was a creative writing major. I was going to be a writer. That's what I thought I was going to do. I was writing, you know, short stories, and never got to writing a script. But I had to pick a minor, and I picked journalism. And I'd met this kid in an AA meeting and he worked at this little, tiny news service called the Hispanic Link, which at the time, there were very little there's very little news telling the story of the Hispanic community in America. So this tiny hole in the wall news service in DC was syndicated nationwide and it was run by this white guy who had married this woman from Ohaca, Mexico. And it was a love story and so I was just struck by it. And so I made a little short documentary and it was my thesis project, my senior project at Howard, and I fell in love with it documentary, and I looked at where the best, you know, documentary programs, and UC Berkeley, the journalism school at Berkeley, has one of the one of the top programs, and so I went there. When I made that decision to apply to graduate school, I kind of knew, like this is what I'm committing to do, this is what I'm going.
Speaker 1: For, right are you?
Speaker 4: Ryan?
Speaker 2: When did you know that this was going to be your profession? Because I know if one time you said I'm going to play in the league, I know you thought you was gonna play.
Speaker 4: For the greatest big time. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, No, it's a it's a great question I've been asked before. My wife always laughed. But it was after I made my fourth movie. It was when I was like, Okay, I'm gonna be doing this for a while.
Speaker 1: What was the fourth one?
Speaker 4: Kind of ever, that's what.
Speaker 1: I think it could have been before.
Speaker 5: That one, now I'm telling you, bro C. Yeah, yeah, because because I don't know, like some combination of like imposter syndrome.
Speaker 3: That's what I was gonna say.
Speaker 4: That sounds like and and internalizing, uh.
Speaker 5: This internalized feeling of it like it's all gonna be taken away from me, you know what I'm saying like that like that that it just went away.
Speaker 1: So you didn't think that's good enough?
Speaker 4: It was.
Speaker 5: It was a combination of a lot of things. From one I didn't think I was good enough, Like like I was thinking I was fooling people.
Speaker 4: I got lucky with each movie. You you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: But I think like we were kind of forever going through so much, you know, never one losing chat. You know, you want losing chat. Rest in peace, man. And he had he had so much confidence, you know what I'm saying. And and and he would speak, you know, he would speak confidence in me when I was having mom as a doubt and and a lot of times I would think he was just trying to get me through the day. You know, you know what I'm saying, because you do that with your teammates, right, And he got this, you know you don't You might not believe that really got you're telling him, you know what I'm saying. But but but then in retrospect after he passed, and knowing what I know about him, that he he was never he was never he would never be as somebody, you know.
Speaker 4: What I'm saying.
Speaker 5: In finishing that film, and that was like the first time I was like, Okay, I think I'm gonna be I think I'm gonna be doing this for the rest of my life.
Speaker 2: How nerve racking was that film with all those celebrities and all those stars and people that's been in so many movies.
Speaker 5: The first one. Yeah, crazy nerve racking, bro. But the thing is all my moves is nerve racking. My nerves was racked on the short he was talking about you know, so, I mean, you know, you you know that feeling, you know, like like you.
Speaker 2: Don't ever get to a point where you like, I've done enough where I'm comfortable and I.
Speaker 4: I'm getting there. Yeah, Like I think I think I'm getting there. You know, You're never the.
Speaker 5: Point where you're comfortable, Yeah, where I feel like I'm gonna be doing this for some time.
Speaker 1: I would say confident, You're confident.
Speaker 5: In you getting there, getting there.
Speaker 3: Also, I think it's it's a it's a it's a belief that your voice, what you have to say, is going to be received. You know, it's going to be received by the culture, by the critics, by by the audiences. And our culture sort of shifts and those voices, the voices that do matter, that do bubble up to the surfaces. It's not always because of the the relevance or the power.
Speaker 4: Of those voices.
Speaker 3: It's sort of the ecosystem of our culture and society allows certain voices to come forward.
Speaker 2: Is a depressure of knowing how many young minorities look up to you guys, like I want to be the next you know what I mean? Is that part of it as well?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Man, it's it's so much.
Speaker 5: It's all of it, bro Like like y'all, y'all feel it, y'all black, you know what I'm saying. You know when you get it, when you when you first got this job, it's like, I gotta do my thing for my family, but also gotta do my thing for the next person who looked like me, who want.
Speaker 1: To do this that came later. At first, it was just about survival. Yeah, yeah, because I have been fired for four times for it was about survival. Then once you start to realize the magnitude of the platform, it's like you gotta do it for the people.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And what's great it is like, look, it's Monday, right. I ain't checked the papers, but I think Stephen Cable's movie was number one Transform it was number one. Yeah, like he got this movie coming, he got we got we got a step doctor that's.
Speaker 4: Gonna come in.
Speaker 5: And like the more the more that that that that's of us, that succeeding it actually takes some of the pressure off, you know what I'm saying, like like that that's that's also and it has also helped you know what, you know what I mean Like, it's not like it's only one we got one shot, we got one represent representative. It's like I'm always a bunch of us, you know what I'm saying, and and and and and that's changing the fabric of what a blockbuster director. It looks like I want to know or what you know or or you know, how much how much support a nonfiction film gets from you know, from from from from from a studio or from from the audience.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying is typically very little. Extremely grateful for for the platform that pros Proximity has provided. And that is a powerful idea to sort of validate not just different perspectives of voice, but different genres and styles of storytelling.
Speaker 1: One more thing about the imposita syndrome. When you're Ryan Coogler, and we know the greatness of Ryan Coogler, but the media will say things like, oh he might he's the next George Lucas, Like you're always the next somebody. I never just use that that that.
Speaker 4: Holl on Bro. Is that a crowd rail bag? Of course?
Speaker 3: Okay, sho sixty.
Speaker 6: He keeps all the changing, right, man, I might I got a hey, am I bad?
Speaker 4: Bro? I just I just went back honey memory uncles Bro. Oh my god, my bad, my bad? Ar Man?
Speaker 1: Is that is that contributed in pot syndrome? The mas in her? The next someone?
Speaker 4: It don't help that, that never helps, you know. But what I'm thankful. What I'm thankful for.
Speaker 5: Man, It's like like I'm thankful for the ogs, Like like I saw, I saw Spielberg a few days ago, you know, spend the day with Spike. You know, I shat down for a coupler. I sat down with with with with Chris Nolan. You know, I was very rest in peace. John Singleton was very close with him, you know. And and having a relationship with the ogs. It's helpful if they say you the next whatever, you know what I mean? You know what I'm saying, Like I side with side with George Lucas, you know what I'm saying. Like you know, and I know these guys as guys and they can kind of advise and say, man, throw all that away, you know what I'm saying, Like you know, like this is gonna this is gonna come, that's gonna come. It's been you know, it's been really really helpful. So but but but you never, it never helps to to hear somebody compare you to A to a like a generational grade.
Speaker 4: You know, you know what I'm saying. That's why, that's why I feel for Brin.
Speaker 1: You know, we will never appreciate Bro. I say that all the time. You'll never appreciate Brian if you can keep comparing them to this ghost thro the Michael Jordan.
Speaker 5: To tell you something, Bro, Me and me and Zenzi went to Game three when when when the damn Lakers knocked us out Bro in the second round, and we worked with We worked with Stephan bron Right, We worked with space Jam, and we worked on the beautiful movie Pete He's got coming off and this dude man thirty eight, and he would have players, Bro, because he knew me as Ang was there. He would have plays where he would get the ball.
Speaker 1: Bro.
Speaker 4: He would point to us score and.
Speaker 5: Point to after he scored, like y'all all about to score right now, you know what I'm saying. Like, and it was just it was just doing and I was like, I've never seen anything I never I've never seen anything like this guy man, and like and everything he does is always compared to something you know, something to.
Speaker 4: Or or you know or his Koreean you know he was doing it. It's like it's got to do the jump hook that day that we can't appreciate.
Speaker 5: It for the for the for the for comparison shake, you know. But but I will say, like this whole time I've had Pete bro you know what I'm saying as a friend who you know, you know, people don't know him as much as I might not George look at or spill word. But incredible working filmmaker and a family man, you know what I'm saying, who got wisdom for you whenever I whenever I needed in terms of navigation.
Speaker 4: So I'll be for ever, be for ever thankful for.
Speaker 5: Him and help him make this beautiful movie man anthem that only he could make. You know, I could talk to him more about it, but only he could make a movie where you know, it's like, Yo, we're gonna we're gonna examine this national institution.
Speaker 4: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: It's got all these triggering for everybody. You know, and come out with a come out with a song. On the other side, you come out watching a movie feeling good, you know. But she like, I'm thankful. I'm thankful for him too, Thank.
Speaker 1: You, Peter. It made me wonder watching anthem, why did black people ever accept the anthem to begin with? Why did they ever accept the national anthem to begin with?
Speaker 3: I don't know, you know, I've seen it from from a lot of different perspectives, you know, I guess. I like to say I was born into the story of race. I was born in sixty eight.
Speaker 1: Oh wow.
Speaker 3: My birth mother's white. My birth father was black. Her family threatening disowner if she married him. She put me up for adoption. I was adopted by a black family. My dad's the senative slave from the South Gulla. My mom's South Carolina. South Carolina. Yeah, my mom, her parents came over from West Africa, Cape verd I married a woman, a refugee from Laos. I've got kids who are mixed race. Been in federal prison on a drug charge, went to all white private schools, went to Howard. So I've seen life from all these different angles and perspectives, and in all my work at the same time, I've never been thrown down on the ground by a cop. I've never been I've been called nigger a couple of times, but that's usually when I'm with my other family. People don't kind of know how to pin me, you know, and I generally can can slide.
Speaker 1: Through, uh like miscellaneous, kind of miscellaneous.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that that that also sort of burrowed into my own psyche about my identity. Who am Who am I? And I think that that question of who am I is also the question I think as a country we're trying to sort of grapple with who are we? We're all different, we're all the same. And I think all of my work I like to step into spaces that are that are a little bit that are messy and examining those questions, whether it's you know, what are our values as a country and delivering health care to Americans and you know, setting that in a in a public hospital waiting room. What does it mean if a police department says they're trying to reform, what does that mean? And is that real? How important is education, you know, to to equity in our culture? And so, you know, the anthem was was sort of a natural examining that question of you know, can should you love it or hate it? Should you should we tear it down? Should we burn it? Should we recreate it? Some people love it, some people hate it. I love Jimmy Hendrix's version to me was always like beyond, like it went into some spiritual place. It was still the anthem. It's still the star spangled banner at the end of the day. Marvin Gaye's version jose Feliciano, you know, these are all beautiful renditions of a song that that is being unpacked, but it's still it's still the anthem. And I felt that that was a great starting point to sort of, you know, think about, well, what would it mean to create a new anthem? And if we were to create a new anthem today and allow the diversity of voice in this country to create that song, what would that be? And on the surface, it's an impossible it's an impossible task. You can't really we were like, do we need to like, you know, get into sort of like blues hip hop, gospel, jazz, like rock house music, go go. I mean, there's so many different styles of music that reflect the American story, So you know, there could be another two or three movies, you know, on this on this idea, using this construct.
Speaker 2: One thing I do love is is you know anthem. Besides anthem, I love the evolution story, right because a lot of times in this day and age, people don't allow you to evolve.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: They look at your past and they try to keep you in the past of who you were. And the fact that you talk about everything that you've been through and how you've changed and the things that you're doing, I don't I don't think a lot of times people allow people to have that evolution.
Speaker 1: And to change.
Speaker 2: So I commend that. And have you had a hard time because of your past, because you know, Charlamagne and myself, we've all had a pass and we talk about our past. And the reason we talk about it is because you know, nobody's ever perfect, right, There's no life that's perfect. People go through shit. So the fact that you talk about the things that you've been through and you're still able to leave your mark on the world on some positive is the amazing story.
Speaker 3: Well, I think I don't know why, you know, I you know what I remember distinctly when when I got out of prison, I got a job working at this this elementary school in DC, which you know I was at. I went back to Howard and they have like an internship program where you fill out, you know, where do you want to work? And I kind of went into the space of denial of what had happened to me, and I didn't check the box, you know, basically lied and I got placed at this elementary school, which happened to be a school where like presidents like where Obama sends his kids, where like some of those powerful people in DC send their kids. And I remember I took the job. I was working at this job and one day the lawyer who represented represented me in my case, which was prosecuted by Merrick Garland is now the Attorney General the United States walked in on a tour with his son, and I was my job that day was to like check all the parents in and give them name tax and here comes my lawyer and he sees me, and he and he we looked at each other and he was like, Oh, how are you doing? And he's probably thinking himself, what the hell is this guy doing drug traffic or doing working at the school. Presumably I'm going to send my kid And you know, I eventually left that job, and I had to tell all the people you know that I had lied. And from that point forward, I decided that I was going to tell my story. I was going to step into the difficult space of being real about my story, talking about my dad's alcoholism, asking my dad about his alcoholism on camera. We had never taught Black families don't talk about Trump, their trauma, their mental health, things like alcoholism, And it just felt like an empowering thing. And it also felt like something that our country needed to do more was examine and step into these more real, authentic spaces.
Speaker 1: We are all those things. I want to ask about anthem, what what do you think it would take to actually create a new national anthem?
Speaker 3: Well, one of the one of the insights that seemed very common as we asked that same question to a lot of people in the making of the film and also now that the film's coming out, is that maybe there can't be one anthem. You know, there there has to be many anthems. I mean, the idea of anthem is so you know, there's the anthem, the national anthem, and then there's like personal anthems that the song you put on at the gym or the song that you that that that you recall when you got married, or of the song that just gets you hyped. You know, that's something that inspires you. You know, we all have different ways of allowing these songs and these because songs are ultimately stories, they're narratives, the narratives that we tell ourselves, and the narratives that we used to reflect you know, our families, our communities, and that can't be boiled down into one song. But that the intention of allowing you know, multiple perspectives to inform a national anthem, a national story, wasn't how the original song was created. That Francis scott Key was created using the music of you know this British you know pub song, and so that that intention could lead to other insights and meaning that we could carry, you know, into our future as a country.
Speaker 1: The doc also had me thinking if there was a new national anthem, what what genre of music would it be delivered through? Because I love the way y'all went through country, which I never even referred to as white. When you referred to it as white soul, I was like, oh, it is white soul, you know what I mean?
Speaker 4: Jazz?
Speaker 1: Like, what genre of music. Would it be best delivered through the way America would embrace it.
Speaker 3: I was having this conversation with the dude outside the feller last night. I think, what's his name, David Bryant, And I asked him and immediately he was like, hip hop, hip hop, and I'm sixty eight. I was born in sixty eight, so I am the age of hip hop. And we talked about it. You know, we because we hot. We we brought on Dahi early, early in the process, and Dahi's produced some of.
Speaker 2: You know, hip hop's artists, so many different people, and you know, it was weird to hear him say that he's only been to New York in l A too. I was like, wow, that he hasn't been in the middle of America. I thought that was weird.
Speaker 3: That was a lot of us haven't a lot a lot of us, you know, don't don't don't enter these spaces. We we we grow up in our communities. We sometimes stuff out sometimes, but there are you know, definitely places in the South or Nashville. It's it's like you saw what happened when when they pulled up and what are you all doing it? And they didn't fully articulate what they were doing. They said, they said, what are y'all doing? You know, we're all we're making a documentary exploring American music. They didn't say, we're making a documentary rewriting the national you know. So I do think, but but I think, you know, saying hip hop, you should be hip hop like that, that is, you know, gospel, you know house house music. All these things are inflections. But you know, the blues thing. We knew that there were certain foundational places that we wanted to explore. Blues is one of those foundational places Native American music, which is very rarely included in the conversation of the American music story. We knew that we wanted to step into those spaces and allow them to inform the song the movie.
Speaker 1: Maybe, I mean what the doc made me think that hip Hop's night is rooted in soul and spirit, as it should be. It feels like a lot of the hip hop is rooted in that we listen to now is rooted in capitalism more so than the stuff that y'all had in the doc. That when you listen to the blues and the country, like it was root the Native America, if it was rooted in soul and spirit. Why why do you think that is right?
Speaker 4: That's a heavy question, bro.
Speaker 5: I mean I'm I'm older today than I've ever been. And yeah, like like I like my I think I think it's I think music is complicated. I think black music is is. I got my own theories about it. I love that this doc is kind of about American music, you know what I mean, Like it's it's it's it's anthem on the surface, but it's really about American music and about watching the song being written, which I think is fascinating because because because you got stand up comedy and you got music, I think there is like two like it's straight alchemy, you know.
Speaker 4: You know what I'm saying, Like when.
Speaker 5: You when you see people do it, and I think that, like I think that black music has always been a call back home, like a report, Hey we were still here, Hey we okay, Like.
Speaker 4: This here's what's happening. You know what I'm saying anybody out there.
Speaker 5: To hear is you know I always feel that this electricity runs through my body whenever I come to New York. I think a part of it is just that it's it's ten million people running around trying to.
Speaker 4: Make a way.
Speaker 5: But another part of it is this force that's been ever present in my life that's given me a sense of power. Hip hop it was founded here, you know what I'm saying, And you can you can feel it, you know what I mean. Like I don't know if it's that I know it was here or I can feel it here, but it's fantastic, you know what I'm saying. I think that that things constantly changed, and I think the reason why you're hearing this this this this trend towards like hypercapitalistic.
Speaker 4: Or you know, it's a lot of it is like war music, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: But I think it's I think it's like about the right to self determine that people looking for and whatever route that whatever route they can find it.
Speaker 4: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: And sometimes sometimes maybe it's quote unquote misguided. Sometimes it's sometimes it's truthful, you know what I mean, Like like somebody that's living in poverty, surrounded by it, they think they might think they're having some money, is the way they can self determined, make themselves safe, get their.
Speaker 4: Family out of where they are.
Speaker 5: You know what I'm saying, sometimes they think picking up a weapon is what's the way they're self determined. They feeling vulnerable or weak. You know what I'm saying, I got to shut it that I'm that I'm strong and I'm not.
Speaker 4: You know what I mean.
Speaker 5: I think it's I think it's it's usually some form of truth in it. You know what I'm saying, Like like whether whether you know at thirty whether at thirty seven. You know what I'm saying, I'm loving you know what I mean. You know what I mean that that's my best explanation for it. But I think that's what I think, that's what everybody wants. I think that's what's so interesting about it. You know what I'm saying, Like I come from the home of the pan answers.
Speaker 4: It's all about the right to self.
Speaker 5: Determined, you know what I'm saying, The claim to claim my humanity and self determined, my safety and where I can go, my where my body can be, where my.
Speaker 4: Children can feel safe. You know what I'm saying, Like and I hear that in the blues, I hear that in jazz.
Speaker 5: I hear that, And you know what I'm saying, I hear it in all of you, you know, hope to answer that question.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I guess when you was talking to made me feel like it.
Speaker 4: Damn.
Speaker 1: Sometimes I guess capitalism can can ruin art, right, So so I wonder what's what's more fulfilling for you? Doing something like Fruitvale Station. Are our black fans.
Speaker 4: What's more fulfilling?
Speaker 1: Yeah, not not even just those two movies in particular, but doing a movie like and more of an independent way than a big black bus were.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like, let me ask you, what's a great question? Bro?
Speaker 5: I think at the time, I've been blessed to do the most fulfilling thing, you know what I'm saying, Like at the time, you know, if we talked about that, like how we don't get the ability to change, right? I think guys, I think as black people, we can be the hardest hard shoves when it comes to that, you know what I'm saying, Like, like I'm from I'm from I was.
Speaker 4: Born in Oakland. My whole family's from there. We know. Was like, but check it out, bro, I'm getting.
Speaker 5: Somewhere, bron get bro, Like I was like editor nine, we moved to Richmond, you know what I'm saying, And like still to this day I have people ask, hey, bro, you're from Oakland and Richmond. You know, you know what I'm saying, and like and like the truth is come from both. You know, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: But but that's not.
Speaker 5: Allowed at home, you know. You know what I mean, Like you got to pick bro. You know what I'm saying, Like it's like it is it this? Where is it that you gotta stick with it for your whole life? You know what I'm saying, Like like when I'm if I'm blessed to live to be one hundreds, Hey, bro, you from Oakland.
Speaker 4: You know what I'm saying. It's like with damn.
Speaker 2: You ever go back to Oakland and say, you know, it's like, Damn, I made it out of here.
Speaker 4: I'm still there.
Speaker 1: He's there. Yeah, you know, I'm still here in Oakland to the core. But it's beautiful from Carolanta.
Speaker 4: So I know exactly some days where I'm like, Damn, I'm still alive. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Because I was out and I'm driving. I was staying at the hotel and I wanted to get some need It's like go to the next corner. In the next corner was Oakland, Oakland like fresh fried spots with the gates in it. I'm like, where the am I And like you still see like it looks like riots happened yesterday, Like you see stuff boarded up and stuff broken down, and I'm like, God, damn no.
Speaker 5: It's it's so sexy. Are you in Queens Queen? Yeah, I mean it's I mean, I don't know. It's it's like wherever we are, you see, you know you could you can be on the right or the wrong spot.
Speaker 4: You know. Look, man, we've been at the country's been at a world with us since we've been here. You know what I'm saying, Like.
Speaker 5: Like it's the truth, like you see so you see it reflected, like whether it's financial, you know, like whether it's whether it's all you know alright, Jim Crawl, whether.
Speaker 4: It was you know, full blong you know, our bodies being illegal.
Speaker 5: You know what I'm saying, Like, like you know, so you share it, you see the reflections of it, you know what I mean. And it's splashing Cleveland everywhere here Detroit, Aukland.
Speaker 4: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: You know you go where d I just want to I'm gonna try to see formulate. How how I'm gonna say this because a lot in this going back to your question about what's you know, the independent versus the blockbuster and capitalist. But I saw a Black Panther in a theater in Utah where my daughter was in treatment for mental health and addiction. She was she was sixteenth time and we were visiting her, and uh we went to see Black Panther and a theater packed full of white Mormons watching Black Panther. And to me, that was a profound reality and impact that that Ryan's worked as very commercial, big blockbuster Marvel movie. I don't think people fully sort of understand the impact that that had on the culture and sort of changing the narrative. And you know, changing those narratives is so important. It's important internally, I you know, talking about trauma, talking about our communities, black communities going back generations, back to slavery. Like my dad's family, he had unresolved trauma. You know, he was drinking. I only found out after he died that he was told when he was a young man to step into the gutter when white people approached him, you know, on the sidewalk. My daughter, you know, I dealt with addiction. My daughter dealt with addiction and we lost her at the age of sixteen. So the consequences of sort of unrecognized and on, you know, trauma that's not dealt with in narrative is profound, and I think Ryan's work is doing it both in this very intimate way with with sort of an independent approach like Fruit Felle Station, and on the biggest stage with these blockbusters. It's powerful, and I think it's also going to influence other creatives in those spaces to use their voices and to use these stages because now we're getting more opportunities. We're getting more opportunities.
Speaker 1: That's why I like Black Panther two so much, because you know, I put Ryan in the same vein as like a Kendrick or even a Cold because even with the massive success, you won't compromise your art.
Speaker 4: I appreciate that, bro.
Speaker 5: I just realized I didn't ask your question, man, like they all are are fulfilling at the time, because I'm different each time. You know what I'm saying, Like, you know, make Prouville when I was I was twenty five, are you seven?
Speaker 4: Now? You know?
Speaker 5: I don't know if I don't know if I can make that movie now. You know what I'm saying, I don't got the optimism that I had then or the energy.
Speaker 4: You know, you get met it in like twenty twenty days. We didn't sleep, you know what.
Speaker 5: I got to sleep now, you know, like our family now, you know, like it's been impossible, But that was the most feeling thing that I could have done at that time. I've been blessed to like do fulfilling work. You know what I'm saying. With this company, it's fantastic. I get to support filmmaker's vision. You know what I'm saying, Like you don't make the more, We're gonna make a new national anthem. I'm like, holy shit, let's let's do it.
Speaker 4: What do you need? You know? You know what I'm saying. Can I help? You know? Uh? And it's it's an incredible blessing man to go to.
Speaker 1: I know they telling us you got to wrap up. So I guess this question would be the last question. How do you keep the national anthem hopeful and empowering with so much of America's history being negative for the majority of groups that we've been here, Because you know, we keep talking about we are having these discussions about what America is. I think we know what America is trying to We're trying to put the mirror up to them and let them see what America.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean it's different things to different people, right Like.
Speaker 5: And that's what's so beautiful about the songing Man was that you know, you get you got, you got four women from different backgrounds and different experiences with the country, you know, putting down verses that feel true to them. It's not compromising. And then when you hear it saying you know, it's like, you know, you identify with each with each piece because maybe it's like I don't know somebody who's indigenous. Well I'm not indigenous myself to this, to this, to this land, but I know people who are. You know, I don't know people who having issues with borders moving across them and back and forth or getting more, you know. And when you hear the words saying, you feel it, you know what I'm saying, like I don't you know. When you hear Charity like in Our twenties from Nashville sing about her family in the in the military, then she says like like all gays some but some gave all man you feel it, you know what I'm saying. And white people don't own the military, you know what I'm saying. My grandfather falling in every word after was fault while he was alive.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: You know, you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: And so when you take a step back and look at the song that they made it and the process of how they made it, man, you know, you acquire saying it man, and it works, you know what I'm saying, Like, like, you know, so I think it's I think it's an incredible utility that.
Speaker 4: They that they gave and that's all. The song is a utility. Man.
Speaker 5: You might use it to get through some personal loss. You might use it to do your homework.
Speaker 4: You might use it to to lift at the gym.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 5: You know what I'm saying, Like it's a it's a it's a it's a piece of art that's a utility, and it's up to the people to use.
Speaker 4: It, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I think it's just really simply empowering people to tell to tell their story, you know. And you know, anthems inspiring people to express their own idea of an anthem. I remember when we ate the waiting room, the story of this film about Island Hospital. Before we made the film, we did this little digital storytelling project where we interviewed hundreds of people stuck in the waiting room. We asked everybody the same thing, what are you waiting for? And the results of that simple question were profound, and I got into the you know, you're dealing with some people who look dangerous, somebody who just pissed on themselves, somebody who's ranting, dealing with mental illness. And I got into this this this space where I was approaching everybody, even if I was uncomfortable, and some of the people that I was most uncomfortable with the results in their story, allowing them, empowering them in that moment to tell their story, even if I didn't maybe agree with their politics or their position because some people were talking about healthcare, some people were conservative in those spaces, but they're also suffering somehow, and that sort of collective that that unifying suffering and allowing people to tell the allowing people the framework to tell their story in that space was powerful. And I think hopefully this film can allow people to recognize that sometimes we do have to put these stories that are difficult next to each other and allow the alchemy to just happen because we can't. We just can't ignore it. We're in a difficult time in our country right now. It's like we're at a crossroads right now, and it could go this way, it could go that way. But the optimism, both for my own family and the generational trauma that we face, that there's a path out that you don't have to stay in that.
Speaker 2: Well, we appreciate you bubbs for joining us. And you know, anytime you got some a movie or something that you want to promote, documentary, y'all invited up here, come on up and use the platform.
Speaker 1: What's next? I mean the writer's happening now, man.
Speaker 4: Yes, it is a big shout out to the writers. WG. I is striking right now, you know, trying to get you.
Speaker 3: Know, underrated. That's that's uh, that's next for us, Like on the nonfiction.
Speaker 4: On the non fishing shot. Yes, so non fishing you can do.
Speaker 5: Yes, it's not it's not started with w G A originated work, you know what I'm saying it out side of that so I can help promote. But we got got underrated, beautiful, beautiful movie about Steph Curry very underrated.
Speaker 1: He's the number two greatest player of all time.
Speaker 3: When you just started acting like it's coming full circle, you.
Speaker 2: Got who's not the top three NBA? Let's talk about it right now?
Speaker 5: Just quick question before you the top five in the league right now all time.
Speaker 3: I can give you my Quron and Lebron's in there.
Speaker 1: I got Michael Jordan's, Steph Perry, Kobe Bryant, Lebron, and Magic Johnson. That's my top five man.
Speaker 4: That yeah, I mean that's I'm not doing this, man, I literally a mad movie. I made a movie.
Speaker 5: I met it movie with Bron. I made movie with Steph. You know what I'm saying, I'm not doing this.
Speaker 1: Like Lebron three times in the NBA.
Speaker 4: I'm a Warriors fan lifelong.
Speaker 5: You know what I'm saying, Like like like Steph, No, no, no, Steph bigger than basketball revolution?
Speaker 4: Yeah, like like like we rre we ride a dog with Steph? You know what I'm saying. And Bron's Bron's my god man, Like you know.
Speaker 1: It's changed all the basketball women and men's they all play like Steph. He revolutionized the game. I've never seen nobody do that to.
Speaker 4: Michael Jordan, You're not wrong.
Speaker 5: I'm goa I'm gonna tell you something that's gonna sound crazy to this day. Most skilled basketball player I've ever seen, I can't allow you want mm hmm, like more skilled. I remember watching him as a kid and being like, let's do let's do it is crazy. The scariest I seen to play against when I was a kid was Tim Duncan, and she like he was always win.
Speaker 4: You know what I'm saying. These dudes don't get mentioned.
Speaker 5: At all, and you start talking about when I think about it, I'm like, I don't know. I don't know how somebody could be better than a chemologed one. You know.
Speaker 1: Now you got the jokes and those guys the kind of and I love the King, but yeah, back then there was there wasn't too many big men. So when when you were it was big.
Speaker 2: They were all they were all big. You didn't have it like you know, you had to go past you have to What do you used to do to those guys like I used to just and he had no flaws in his game. Now you think about somebody smaller had to get by the big man like it alan.
Speaker 5: Like you like all right, bro, he think about.
Speaker 2: What I did.
Speaker 5: You know when he beat when he beat when he beat that that that that Kobe Shock Team game one h and no teammates really disrespect these real hoopers. I was on a team, but like you know, I mean, yeah, so it's it's tough man.
Speaker 1: You're saying all that to say you do think Steph is better than Braun.
Speaker 2: But I'm gonna bait you right up.
Speaker 4: I'm not.
Speaker 5: You just don't want I'm a Wears fan, Bro, That's what I'm gonna say.
Speaker 4: Bro. And stephan Stephanie and Steph bigger than hoop fush Man, you know what I'm saying. But I'm also a black man. Lebron is bigger than you know what I'm saying, Like, like you know, love Broun, I'm not. I'm not gonna get into.
Speaker 1: That talking about on the court.
Speaker 4: I love both of these.
Speaker 5: Guys on the court, roof of the Warriors when they play.
Speaker 4: I love both those dudes.
Speaker 5: I hate that we got to I hate I hate that against just hate it. I hate it so much, and I hate that they knocked us all. Goddamn bro.
Speaker 1: He said it with his chest number two of all time.
Speaker 3: Give it absolutely absolutely will. I mean, I grew up in Boston.
Speaker 4: You know, birds in my y. Let's not go there and let's not go there.
Speaker 3: Although two thousand and four, you know, two thousand and four, you know Yankees.
Speaker 1: All right, be the Knicks.
Speaker 4: Howard University alumni.
Speaker 2: Let me appreciate you brothers for joining us.
Speaker 4: Man, It's the Breakfast Club. Don't forget anthem.
Speaker 2: June twenty eighth, on Hulu. It's the Breakfast Club. Good morning,