Speaker 1: Hey, this is Annie and Samantha and welcome to Stefan never told you a prediction of iHeartRadio, and today we are I'm not gonna say cheating.
Speaker 2: But we're kind of doing a lighter.
Speaker 1: Feminist movie Friday slash Wednesday probably Wednesday at this point, which we talked about in previous episodes, where we're just gonna have a fun, light conversation about movies or media that personally made us question if maybe we were gay, along with some popular internet examples. So we're not focusing on any one movie this time. I would love if listeners wrote in and contributed to this, because I saw when I was researching this some of them just tickled me so much.
Speaker 2: It was so specific. I loved it. I have some that are pretty funny.
Speaker 3: Yeah, tickle me. Wow, that threw me all. That's my mother's phrase. I've not heard you said that ever.
Speaker 2: I'm getting older.
Speaker 3: I liked it.
Speaker 1: Yes, so I know you've heard to talk about it. We have had a really busy couple of weeks. I'm still pretty exhausted, to be honest, with recording this audio book and continuing to put out all of.
Speaker 2: Our episodes and things like that.
Speaker 1: So this is going to be a bit of a lighter one, but we do try to as much as we like to highlight months like this, we do try to highlight stuff like this throughout the year. So if you're like, oh, you're not actually doing a queer movie what we did, we try to do them through all of our.
Speaker 3: Other just recently did the trance movie like It's we want to celebrate it all year long, never gonna hold us down. But also we want to talk about some of the movies that we love that we might not be watching right.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, yes, yes, I think it's gonna be really fun. I do wanna. I do have a couple of disclaimers at the top, one being you can find someone of the opposite sex or any gender identity attractive and not be gay, Like that's totally a thing. Who you are attracted to also doesn't necessarily indicate how you actually identify, Like I am as perhaps gray sexual, but I would say a sexual and bi romantic. So even though I'm attracted to people of all types, that doesn't necessarily mean I'm bisexual, though I did identify it that way for a while, and it doesn't mean it won't change in the future.
Speaker 2: So and yeah, I we we kind of we're talking about this.
Speaker 1: At a hangout we had and it was fun and so we thought we would just share it. But yes, we're not. Think most of the things we're going to talk about are not things that have explicitly queer storylines. Some of them are kind of queer baby, but we did want to talk about some of the surprise ones too that maybe you wouldn't necessarily think of.
Speaker 3: I think it's the majority of my movies that I technically not really queer baby. It just happens to be this dairy role that they played And I was like, what.
Speaker 2: Well, that's kind of what I love about it. That's what I think is so interesting.
Speaker 1: So before we get into our examples, and I guess we can kind of go back and forth. I wanted to give some popular internet examples plus ones that just made me laugh. Usually it has to do with being attracted to both the male and female leads, Like that's sort of the vibe that a lot of people were putting down for this one of the big ones. When when I read it, I was like, oh, of course was cruel intentions.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's felt queer baty to me though for sure.
Speaker 2: It probably was.
Speaker 1: I actually didn't see that movie until I was quite older, like we're seeing the last five years.
Speaker 3: Maybe it wasn't, I guess because the queer baty is specific to like pandering, they weren't necessarily pandering, But I feel like it was for shock value. Is that so queer Baby?
Speaker 1: Well, there's a lot of contention around that. It can't be for sure it was. It definitely did have that shock value to it of like, ooh, look at how quote deprived she is.
Speaker 3: And it was definitely like in the melgaze, like still people who were like, oh what it was still sexual? Yeah, sure, but it's definitely more towards the mel gaze.
Speaker 1: Right right and peak behind the Curtain. We are reading Ginger Queer for the book club pic this this month, and I read it last night and it talked a lot about what we're talking about in here. And also I was researching the character Willow, who's our upcoming fictional women around the world. One of the things we're going to talk about all the issues going on with that. But one of the things that made her very groundbreaking was it wasn't done for shock value. It wasn't done for like, oh, look how sexual they are, Whereas this felt very much like the way you're saying Sarah Michelle Geller in both of these, but it was like Sarah Michelle Geller kind of what's the word for that? When oh ruining like an innocent person? It did have that vibe, but I remember it being like, oh, yeah, for sure, yes, so I totally get that.
Speaker 2: I totally get that. Example.
Speaker 1: Another one that came up that surprised me, but then when I was reading people's reasoning was the Mummy.
Speaker 3: Was surprising to you? Yes, how is that surprising to you? Like I didn't? I Yeah, I sit you the whole there's a whole meme going around, like and it shows each picture and everything's like, yes, no, wonder. I was so confused between like each character four amazing you're like five with think amazing characters that you just kind of sit there the stair at and you're like, what is this? What's going on here? And I will say Rachel Weiss has was also on my list for another movie.
Speaker 1: Yes she's one of Oh she's not. I took it off, but yeah, no, I get I get that. No, but we we have done The Mummy for a fictional movie Friday, Yes, and we did talk about how uh. One of the reasons we chose it for that movie was there was a blog post about how they were kind of in opposite gender roles, almost like he was a very supportive, kind of holding her up and she was very assertive in all of these ways. So I thought that that was interesting. Another one that surprised me. And then when I thought about it, I was like, oh, yeah, I should probably re examine this. Empire strikes back.
Speaker 3: Oh so you had already stated that.
Speaker 1: I did, but not when I was a kid, I didn't. I don't think it ever occurred to me that I because most people said it was because they were attracted to Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher on Solo and Princess Leiah. I was attracted to Luke and then I loved Leyah.
Speaker 3: But I don't say it wasn't in love.
Speaker 1: Right, But I didn't. I don't think it occurred to me that it could be because it was such a young age, right, And then when I got older, I was like, oh, no, Like if I had a chance with Leyah, which I wouldn't because she's too good for me, But if I did.
Speaker 2: It would be all about it.
Speaker 1: So it's just it's now that I think about it, that was probably always there. I just didn't believe that it was an option or at another one that we've talked about.
Speaker 2: Jennifer's body.
Speaker 3: Jennifer's Body, that's a I think we've already talked about that, because we talked about this movie and what it was supposed to be satire in itself, but like, yeah, I did feel queerbaity, but it was host to as a commentary, right, That's what we've decided.
Speaker 1: Right, And it was because it was shots with mostly women kind of controlling like the Angle, and it was women in it, and it was kind of their friendship, but also they were you know, adolescents who were figuring things out as they say. Yeah, no, I totally get that one too. I totally get that one too. This one cracks me up, Matilda, Matilda.
Speaker 3: Because of the Honey okay, and it's a specific scene where miss Honey like everyone kept using the gift where she like brings her glasses.
Speaker 2: And it made me laugh so hard. I'm so happy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, completely didn't think about that one.
Speaker 1: No, No, I didn't either, And I don't think this was the what they were saying at all, but it did make me start thinking about how that sort of trope of older women who live alone must be lesbians. I don't think that's what they were saying at all, but it just kind of made me think about it.
Speaker 3: Have you ever seen Mansfield Park? I have not, because the woman who plays Missus Honey is in Mansfield Park with Johnny Lee Miller. M hm, let me see if you can read off the cast, because if you like, I love this movie and it's the most ridiculous movie because it's the an awful telling of Mansfield Park. They took a lot of liberty, but it had like it had her, Frances O'Connor, who she's doing several other things, King's speech, several other things, as well as Alexandro Novola. I think I'm saying his name right, and he's another big I think he's an English actor. I forgot what movie. But the four of them are probably the four most attractive people. And I say that as like the entirety of that cast. So I'm like, now I'm thinking about her relaying it to the that movie, I'm like, they're actually really attract Oh maybe that could have been one of my lists because I loved that movie. Okay, I'm gonna have to make you watch it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm into it. I'm into it. Another movie I haven't seen this Bridegreen Tomatoes.
Speaker 3: You've never seen. I think we have to remedy that soon.
Speaker 2: Another to the list.
Speaker 3: Another because I could see that there's so much to this, like because you know, I love women's friendships, love love love women's friendships and anything. And I loved their friendships so much that to the point, like because their relationships with men were so awful that you do want them to be with each other forever and ever and ever and ever, and men are not portrayed well in this movie and rightly so I'm okay with it. But wanting them to be together makes sense. Yeah, And there is like conversation of like, if you look, but I think the actual book may have leaned it towards it. Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, I think the actual book does lean to that fact that they are they're in love with each other, but of course the movie didn't, so that makes more sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's I found a whole essay about it. And they were talking about like, you know, they didn't say it in the movie, but they are queer.
Speaker 3: And it's great. The Portrell is beautiful.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, we have.
Speaker 3: To that might be a next month movie because we need to watch that movie.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm into that too for one.
Speaker 1: For one, it it's it relates to something else that I'm going to talk about in a lot of my picks. But we also talked about in things like practical magic of that idea of you know, this friendship between women and kind of growing older together, and a lot of people rightly or wrongly assuming or thinking like, oh, they.
Speaker 3: Must be really together, like we talked about platonic marriages before we did, and like it makes sense I have maybe this and you I've been talking about this recently, and you and I have talked about it too, just like in general, like not having the fear of being single that's not a thing, and knowing that we'll be okay, we'll survive. I think part of that is knowing that I have good friends like yourself and Caroline, who they're well, we're all like me and Caroline and myself are both the relationships and the majority of people are. But if we're not, we'll always be there for each other, like it doesn't matter if things go right or wrong however you want to see it because and that feels so secure that it makes everything else feel easier. Like I would rather be single with my friends who have all kind of come into this mindset, right, than miserable in a relationship where I'm isolated from my friends.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: That's that kind of level of like seeing that it's no longer said that you don't have the perfect marriage or whatever whatnot? Right, And I idealistic.
Speaker 1: I do think that there are a couple of things going on here, and one of them is something I want to come back and talk about in a happy hour. I've mentioned it recently, But platonic love can be so beautiful, like the love between friendships can be so beautiful, like more beautiful than romantic love. But I think because so much of our media frames romantic love as the end all be all, this is the best thing you can achieve. And on top of that, we don't see a lot of queer storylines that a lot of people, myself included, I've done it, do this where we're like.
Speaker 2: Maybe they're queer.
Speaker 1: Maybe this is like the representation I've been waiting for yeah, where like platonic love should be just as respected and celebrated, but it's because we don't have those queer storylines. I totally get it too. But as I've been writing fan fiction, I've noticed I do it. I do it even though I don't believe it. But it feels like a relationship isn't as important or dramatic unless it's romantic, which is not true. I want to be one hundred thousand, it's not true.
Speaker 3: And in real life, we don't want that drama exactly exactly.
Speaker 2: I get way.
Speaker 1: It makes her a good storyline, like as I'm writing it, but it does like.
Speaker 3: Okay, dramas I've seen that because I get so mad, like this is the dumbest thing. You shouldn't go for this, dude, He's awful. Why are you doing this? Don't I've been yelling at this TV more recently and getting very upset at the lead, like this is awful, what are you doing? And then like knowing that if if they resolved that the way I wanted to, it would no longer be it would be the end of the show.
Speaker 1: Right still, right, yeah, yeah, No, I totally get it, and now it cracks me up that you're yelling at the TV that that's funny. I'm that person now, yes, yes, uh so, I guess we should break into our examples, starting with yours, the one that.
Speaker 3: Mind the whole conversation because you said that you brought up You're like, I'm interested in you know, the movies that you made you go wait, And the one movie which ended up getting man's plain to us anyway was who framed Roger Rabbit? Because for some reason I watched this as a kid, and I know, like I think all of us had in a moment like that is petrifying. Christopher Lloyd's character is the most petrifying villain I've ever met in my life. I don't understand how a cartoon got that freakishly frightening so quickly. The appearance of Jessica Rabbit singing why don't you do right? I it's a damn cartoon, and I was like, what is happening? And obviously everything about that character is in the male gaze. It is definitely all very sexualized. She is a sexualized character. However, there was something to that performance and I was like, well, damn, And I say that with my full chest because I was I love love that movie is probably I haven't watched it in years. I feel like we should do a rewatch, maybe like I need to do this as an episode just for being funny, like maybe whatever. Whatnot not being a feminist movie because it's I don't it's not a feminist movie. There's no nothing about that is a feminist movie. Everything is about like being villainized essentially, and then you know cartoons. But but I did. I had that moment with like watching that performance and loving that song, loving that rendition of that song and having to not only did I want to be her, but yes, I wanted to stand next to her. Like that's the best explanation I had.
Speaker 2: Mm hmmm, that's yeah.
Speaker 1: That's interesting because that movie is scared me so bad as a kid. I haven't seen it since I was very young, and I was like, and I can't even tell you why.
Speaker 2: I just remember being scared.
Speaker 3: The eye, the high pitch. It was scary.
Speaker 2: I would love to revisit it. I think we could have we could have.
Speaker 1: Like a not feminist movie, feminist movie because I want to talk about the Super Mario.
Speaker 3: Also movies that like we just want to make each other suffer. I feel like I make ourselves suffer.
Speaker 2: There's a part of it. But there's a joy in sharing the suffering.
Speaker 1: There is, and I think there's a lot to talk about there. I definitely have felt attraction to cartoon characters, so uh, no judgment there. And I know people who Jessica Rabbit, you're not alone.
Speaker 3: I'm loved to know. I yeah, there was so of it to me. That scene, everything about that scene. Yeah, I'm just like, what, yes, But yes, we did get a whole like ten minute men explain about how that movie was one of the most incredibly expensive movies and all these things. You were there with me, any why are you looking like your surprise?
Speaker 2: I think I was over. I told you my ears got whelmed.
Speaker 1: I was getting caught in like fifteen different conversations, so I caught parts of it, but I was.
Speaker 3: Like, I just sat there and stared out and I was like, I don't.
Speaker 2: Care to be fair.
Speaker 1: That is something I would do if I had the right amount of alcohol, I would tell you about you know, an empire strikes back, so I can't judge too hard. Oh yeah, Well, so for me, I'm going to kind of cheat and combine some because I have more than you, but also I've talked about some of these before X files. That is probably my first clear memory. I don't think it's the first time, but it's my first clear memory of being like, uh, what's going on here because I'm attracted to her and oh no, and one thing, one thing I want to bring up. And I know we're going to talk about this more in our book club, but you recently owned Sex and the City. You asked me, like, what is your type? And I was like, I have such a specific type. It's hilarious. And the more that I thought about it, and after I read that book, I was like, it's kind of for me. It's very specifically in it's effeminatee men, it's men who are pretty, but it's also people. It's people who are like not they're not quite in their very traditional stereotypical gender roles. They're kind of like more masculine women or more feminine men. That's really what it is. And I wouldn't say Molder was a feminine at all, but he did have kind of my look. But she was a very kind of masculine, even though she's beautiful in a pretty traditional feminine way, but she had a like really masculine vibe about her.
Speaker 3: I wonder if it's masculine more so, like just non binary, because I don't think she was either no exiled and we just want to call it masculine because it wasn't so feminine, right, I thought she was non binary more so than anything else.
Speaker 1: I agree, And that is a good point, and that is what part of the book club it will be about. But yeah, it's sort of more like in that place. Yeah, yeah, that's what it is. Yeah, And so I think that for me was a big That was the one I was sitting in my room in seventh grade and I was like, oh, but now, after I did this research for Buffy the Vampire Slayer, I forgot I had a crush on Seth Green's character Ozio.
Speaker 3: I loved Seth. I love redheads though. Yeah, yeah, Michael Rappaport, which he is a hilarious person, but I had a huge crush on him too, And I don't think I've ever met anyone who would say that.
Speaker 1: That's always a fun exercise. I might be the only person a huge crush on this person, his nerdyess. Yes, Yes, I had a huge crush on him. He's the reason I went to see Austin Powers. Oh no, yeah, hor old me who doesn't get these jokes and made my parents come and they're like, oh my god, it wasn't good.
Speaker 2: It wasn't good.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I I'm definitely like, looks are a big part of it, but they come second to me.
Speaker 2: It's like I have to like the person.
Speaker 1: Usually I have to like the personality first, and then I'm like, oh, they're so attractive. Sometimes it goes the other way, but usually and I feel like I never really can. I remember Seth Green very clearly, but will oh, I did kind of have a crush on two and then she started dating Tara, and we're gonna talk about that in the fictional Women episode. But I was like, wow, I haven't seen this before, Like honestly, legitimately, I've not seen it before. Yeah.
Speaker 3: It was very cute too, and it wasn't too like really hot women. Yeah they were both cute sweet yeah ueah, yeah, I guess mine was. I talked about this because it's probably one of the worst movies. I mean, in existence, I'm not gonna lie, Like, the script is real bad, the ending is real bad. Adam Sandler is real bad but it's Spanglish. It's pause Vega. It was only her who actually is in the Netflix series Kaleidoscope, which I loved. That show was really fun to watch. I loved Positvega. I don't know what it was, but I was just like, holy crap. So it is like for me on this note, was I think most of these things now then my last movie is not But most of the rest of them were like just the women and like they're like, don't I don't know if this maybe their overall avert sexuality, but it wasn't sexual, of course. Jessica Rabbit, Yes it was sexual, but like for Pasvega, her character was a mother and she's trying to comfort people and she's just kind of compassionate in all these things. But there was something about her character that was just confidently sexual without being overly sexual. I don't know what it was, but I loved I loved that movie. It's such a bad movie. Kayl Ilney was a great actress and she did an amazing job, but you like she was created to not be liked, right, and I hate that for her. Yeah, and she played it too well. And then Adam Sandler's just there. But I loved, loved watching pas Vega and was a huge fan. And I know she was doing she did Sex and Lucia, which won a lot of awards. Like she was that that was her big movie beforehand. But like, I don't know, she's just such a confident woman that it just her and pad Malakshmi like to me, they're on that same level that I'm just like, again, I want to stand with you and I want to be you. How do I do this?
Speaker 2: It's interesting, Yeah, it's.
Speaker 3: Like that this whole like, man, how do I become more like you? But also can I be with you here? Thank you?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 1: I remember pad Mlashi was on your list of like dream guests. Yeah, I thought, and we got rejected. I'm like, it's probably a good thing because I think I would just pass out. Yeah yeah, And I understand I have my guests like that as well.
Speaker 2: But it was just funny. I don't know how that interview is going to go.
Speaker 3: I would just out because I already get nervous with people I'm not nervous around. I know.
Speaker 2: Well, my next one is not a movie.
Speaker 1: It is a video game, Final Fantasy seven and This is one of my favorite video games of all time. The part I'm talking about specifically is pretty problematic, but I'll talk about that more in a second. So the plotline is way too confusing to break down here. But you're a crew of people and you're going to save the world. And I had a crush on the main character Cloud, mostly because he was sad in the right way of sat that I liked at the time. It maybe be like, oh, I can pick care of you, which is not healthy, I know, but it was kind of like that vibe. I was like, Oh, he's so tragic and let me help you.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah.
Speaker 1: But then there's a whole plot point in the game where you have to Cloud, who's a male character, has to dress up as a woman convincingly and go on a date, and based on what you do, it depends on the characters that go with you. But then later who you end up dating, and you know, there's it's harder to get certain characters. So the main two are Erith and Tifa, and I had a big crush on Tifa, even though I wanted him to be with Rith. It had nothing to do with the kind of the sentiment you see with a lot of like young girls who are fans of things where they're like, oh, they can't end up with this person. It was more like I just thought erith and him were a better couple, but I was. I had a pretty big crush on Tifa and Titha was really cool. She was definitely sexualized. She is one of the characters that infamously has a huge like boob bouncing scene that is totally unnecessary, like completely and it's it's played for laughs for sure, because you can end up with if you try really hard. You can end up with Barrett, who is like this big, tough black guy and it's very like comical in the game that you end up together, which is not cool.
Speaker 2: But I did.
Speaker 1: I think that whole matching people in video games really did open the door for me where I'm like, oh, oh, well they could be together or they could be together, and I'm gonna talk about that a bit more because part of a lot of mine are not even I want to be with them.
Speaker 2: It's that I liked that they were together and they were gay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yes, so that's Final Fantasy seven.
Speaker 3: I remember when I was like, what is this and that's a fast and Furious seven. I was so confused.
Speaker 1: I should watch Past and Furious seven and see if there's any anything going on.
Speaker 4: I'm going to tell you no, okay, just no, just just automatically no, got it. Yeah, So one of the movies that this is what I was referring to.
Speaker 3: That's the cast. I was like, yes, this cast Constantine because it is racial vice, Keanu rees till This Winton, and even Gavin Bush, like the four of them. Yes, just yes, a good pick.
Speaker 1: I'd forgotten about that movie until you said it, and I was like, oh, yeah, just.
Speaker 3: If you the whole thing because like, first of all, till This Swinton in her own like non binary cell playing one of the archangels coming down and giving wrath and hate but like loving that, and then having you know, Gavin Bush being the devil that just slides away with his accent and bad acting, a sly voice, Constantine, Keanu Reeves just coming in and out being angry and dying all the time. And then Rachel Weiss, who they don't have the greatest chemistry, I will say this, which is also why I think I did like it, because it felt like they're not gonna be together. I could like both of them type of thing.
Speaker 1: Right. Yeah, I loved that movie. I made Mom see it, and she hated it because she was kind of religious.
Speaker 2: She's religious now.
Speaker 1: But also, that's the movie. I think I've told this story before, but I ate a sixty four ounce chocolate bar during it, and I threw up straight chocolate for over an hour.
Speaker 3: Did you eat a sixty four ounce chocolate bar?
Speaker 2: I don't know. It's hard to say.
Speaker 1: It was foolish and embarrassing, but I paid the price for it.
Speaker 2: Done it?
Speaker 3: Since you surely did? You surely did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that's also when I learned to do the coin.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I love that movie. And in a recent interview Keanu Reeves did was literally saying that this is the one movie he wish he could read like, have a second movie, and.
Speaker 2: I think doing something.
Speaker 3: Apparently there's another damn john Wick movie, So why can't we have another Constantine?
Speaker 2: That's the call to action? Come on for this, come on, No, I can definitely see that one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was that was that was the pick. I was like, Yeah, I mean we've talked about the Matrix, which I'm surprised wasn't on that other list by the way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it did show up, it just didn't show up as much as the cow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that.
Speaker 1: Hell yeah, it's one of my biggest questions I've ever had. Yeah, oh yes, well looking back for me Star Wars, as I said, obviously obviously, but I did want to say with the sequels. I've talked about this before, but the sequels, as much as I was kind of like iffy on them, it was one of the first times I've shipped a couple in a long time, and I was kind of surprised by it, which was a storm pilot fin and po oh.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 1: It's kind of a brief it like flared out really quickly, but I remember it because it was alongside when I was coming more to terms with oh, you're asexual, then what does it mean that I'm shipping that? Like I was kind of like, what's going on here? So that was an interesting experience. And then, as I said, I write slash fan fiction now and I'm not sure.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I've got a lot to think about still.
Speaker 1: But one of the things I sent you that kind of cracks me up is this movie, little known movie, I think it went straight to video called Gold Diggers The Secret of Bear Mountain. This movie. I don't know what was going on in my life that I loved this movie so much. But the plot is like, it's a very You've got your city girl and she has to move to the country and there's talk of this trouble maker who they become friends. Christina Ricci is the city girl and Ah Slumsky is the kind of mountain mountain girl and they become unlikely friends. It is a very, like looking back, a pretty dark plot because Anna Slumsky's father's abusive and like you actually see it happen, her mother ends up in the hospital, she has injuries, there's like a near drowning that still.
Speaker 2: Sticks with me.
Speaker 1: But I remember being pretty young watching this. I get eight or nine, I think, and I wanted them to kiss. I remember very clearly. I just was like, this is it. I mean, I feel like they should kiss, that they're perfect for each other, and it was sort of the I never would have at that moment said oh, you're gay, but I just remember thinking, oh, I wanted to kiss so bad.
Speaker 3: I feel like Christina Ricci maybe a poster girl for so many movies like that, because she was also in Now and Then, which they like they never pretend like any of them are lesbians, but it definitely has like Rosie o'donald to be more all of them. And there's this aspect of these like the girls being so close that it kind of would make sense now and Then. It's probably one of my favorite favorite movies growing up. But like I'm thinking about so many of the things, is also like a sleepy hollow kind of like not that you want her to be with the girl, but she's she feels like she's built for other women or some of the men. I don't know, like like it. Am I being odd about this? Yes? Yes I am.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 1: I mean I can't specify why, because it's not like I hadn't seen movies that had to write girls in them that were best friends, and I hadn't been like, oh, they should make out this one in specific either the time was right. I haven't seen this movie in forever, so I can't say. Maybe there was some vibe going on that I was picking up on.
Speaker 3: I don't like again Christina Ricci.
Speaker 2: I think it might be her, but also one of the things that.
Speaker 1: And this I think I had not I hadn't even discovered fan fiction yet, but it was right around the corner I was coming. But one of the things that I really enjoy that can be platonic and should be platonic, but also can be romantic and should be romantic, is I love like when people just fiercely care about each other, Like I love like kind of that protective I'm with you, I'm going to protect you. And I feel like that's sort of what was going on here, is that they were both very protective.
Speaker 2: Of each other.
Speaker 3: I can see that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's definitely one of my my things.
Speaker 3: Again now and then it was close to that as well. I think I would I would go to that as well.
Speaker 2: Hmm.
Speaker 1: Well, my final one I've already talked about, and that was Black Swan, and I want to mention it because it was the first time in my entire life I ever had a sex stream was after I saw that movie.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 1: I like, Natalie Portman did show up on a lot of people's list.
Speaker 3: I was trying to think she ever made my list because I saw Black Swan coming up like and being like, oh no, because I saw her in shoot, well she's pregnant. Oh no. Her first movie I saw I was a professional. Yeah, which makes me sad looking back on it because she was really mistreated. But I did love that movie, and now I'm like, oh, no, that's awful. But then but then like the.
Speaker 2: Movie uh where the hurt is?
Speaker 3: Yes, that when I read the book first and she was so I thought she was such a bad actor.
Speaker 2: In it, and I was like, no, I kind of had a crush on her, as Padme.
Speaker 3: I assumed you did. I thought that's what you were talking about when you were talking about like prequels and sequels.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: No, but I think again, I don't think I would have ever. I just assumed I wasn't gay. It kind of breaks my heart now, but I just assumed I wasn't. So I think I was more like, oh, she's a really cool and I did find her very attractive, But I think it was more like I thought it was appreciating, Oh she's a beautiful woman and look at this fashion and like our lead character, right, was.
Speaker 3: Kate play shit on any of the lists? Because I would assume, like.
Speaker 2: The thor, I didn't see any of that.
Speaker 3: But honestly a character I would put her up there.
Speaker 2: I didn't. If listeners again, please send in your thoughts.
Speaker 1: Yes, but because I didn't find as much as I thought I would, And it's perhaps I wasn't entering the correct Google search, but I didn't, I don't think, because I would have included that, right, I don't think I saw that one, but.
Speaker 3: I mean, m h, I mean between her and Tessa Thompson, I would assume the two of them would have been on that list.
Speaker 1: Yes, I thought there would be more Tessa Thompson, uh, because she was definitely, but at that point I already knew I was queer.
Speaker 3: So I was like, yeah, but I'm like, maybe it's just all the old movies, because I would have, like I said, thought that that especially thor Ragnarrock would have been pretty high on that list because the two of them really just kind of carried.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that would be interesting if you compare sort of you know, younger generations or SUSA generations, because that might show up, like maybe a decade from now on people's list who haven't you know, realized that they're FI. Yeah, yes, that'd be interesting, and again please send in your suggestions. But also this was when you're attracted to someone that doesn't necessarily at all mean you're gay. But we were just having kind of this conversation about when you start to think maybe at.
Speaker 3: This point like oh, this makes sense, right, but you're like, oh.
Speaker 1: Like for me it was x files and for not just me it was x files, but a lot of people did say this is when I realized, right, So it's not it doesn't have.
Speaker 2: To be that, but it has been that for a lot of people, and.
Speaker 3: Then for us it's just like questioning because they could be like, oh that I can see it that moment too.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, I feel like I'm gonna after we'd die, I'm going to have this whole epiphany of so many more.
Speaker 2: But I feel like gold Digger's the secret of Bear Mountain was that that was that was gold.
Speaker 3: But I can remembering that one between you and I maybe with the who plays Roger rabbit Ball, like, okay, keep that in the interesting.
Speaker 2: Yes, I love it. I love it.
Speaker 1: I mean I have on my phone because I'm a total nerd the list of all the crushes I've had in my life, and some of them are outright embarrassing in their cartoons and it's like what was going on here? But yes, we would love to hear from you about this. Listeners, and we will return with our regular feminist movie Wednesday Friday, unfeminist movie perhaps next month, but in the meantime, if you have any suggestions, if you have any thoughts about this, any examples of your own, we would love to hear from you. You can email U at Stephanie moms Stuff at iHeartMedia dot com. You can find us on Twitter at mom Stuff podcast, or on Instagram and TikTok at stuff whenever told you we're us on YouTube. We have a t public store with new merchandise now, including a disco Anie shirt pretty cool. And we also have a book that you can pre order at stuff. You should read books dot com. Apparently you can get it on an audible now too.
Speaker 3: Yes, okay, listen to it yet, but you can pre order it if.
Speaker 1: You are relind Yes, if you're so inclined, and we would appreciate it. Thanks as always to our super producer Christina, our executive producer Maya, and our contributor Joey.
Speaker 3: I have to know if they've heard of any of these movies. Have y'all heard of any of these movies? Because y'all are youngins.
Speaker 2: Yes, what are your examples?
Speaker 3: It's maybe not the thin, but I'd like who framed Roger Rabbit? Do they know about this movie?
Speaker 2: We've got to know? Please write in yes. And thanks to you listeners for listening. Stefan never told me the protection of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 1: For more podcast from My Heart Radio, you can check out the iHeart Radio app, Apple podcast Regular listen to your favorite shows